Reviews of Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mobster's avatar

I bought this originally as a summer fragrance - because I find it to be very light. Top notes are fresh and dry-down not very noticeable at all - no staying power really. Pleasant enough, but nothing spectacular.

01st November, 2006

It’s a shame that I feel it’s necessary to praise a house like Ralph Lauren for producing not a great, but a better-than-average fragrance—praise it simply because it isn’t a complete sell-out of marketing over quality and innovation. I do have good things to say about Polo Black. The first good thing I’ll say is that it’s not Polo Blue—that’s a big compliment. Polo Black is not an exciting fragrance, nor is it especially artistic or endearing. But it isn’t terrible—it is even several steps up from ‘mediocre.’ Polo Black has attractive elements to it: a well-constructed opening, which is somewhat unique and quite captivating. The middle and base accords have real presence, even if the notes are rather…random. Polo Black has better longevity than much of its competition. Its downfall is that it is priced too high for what it delivers, and the ‘black’ label is completely off target. Otherwise, there is less to criticize than there is to praise. I’ve seen a lot worse out there.

07 October, 2006

deepthought's avatar

This one is a beauty. A rich complex of smells here and I don't get any of the powderiness others are reporting. Certainly not black, more a really dark green (which in the right light looks black!)

19 September, 2006

SternFan's avatar

This is one of my all time favorite fragrances. I've never really been a fan of the Ralph Lauren line, but for some reason this one fit the bill for me.

It's a very sexy, daring, sophisticated scent, very metropolitan, with a touch of care free spirit inside.

I love this stuff, and many of the females in my life constantly compliment me when I am wearing it.

I will say; on me this is a very bold and powerful scent. I'd be careful the first time I sprayed this one on.

10th September, 2006

Stuffman's avatar

Eh... at least this tries to be somewhat original with it's "Iced Mango" notes and all. Unfortunately, it just never finds its groove and ends up being confused about what it wants to be. What it isn't, though, is "Black." I don't know why they chose the moniker, but it just doesn't fit. Maybe Double Black will be good? I'm not holding my breath...

13 August, 2006

4mul8's avatar

I dont understand this.. the more i smell it the worse it gets. it is a very risky smell and overpowering and choking if you get too much on. wear it too long and you will get a headache.. and not many compliments.

11th May, 2006

salubrious_sultan's avatar

Aaaaahhhh... Polo Black, what can I say. On a coldish day with the wind this is incredible, like a chilled can of lilt, with the bubbles stroking the ice on the way up. In a warmish place, like the car, the office or my hidey hole this is more like rotting putrid (and very sweet) mango that gives you a splitting headache - as if you just had that for dessert. I was wearing polo blue today, and apart from the mango, they are virtually identical, but blue is much more subtle and just more pleasant in any setting. And a lot cheaper too!

29 April, 2006

Rashkae's avatar

This is not a "Black" scent at all... Rather, it reminds me of Acqua di Gio with a synthetic, woody note. girls like it though... Go figure.

21st March, 2006

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

There's nothing Black in this Polo, It should have been named Polo Orange! Starts with a delightful mango/green smell that fades after some minutes and gives place to a refined orange smell, just a little bit powdery (as in the dry down of Paris Hilton). Reminds me of Davidoff's Echo without the "white suede" sweetness. That orange/tangy smell is also present in Polo Black.
    Great casual scent!!

19 March, 2006

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Just like Joel_Cairo I´m revising my initial dismissal of Polo Black. By no means is this a very original or daring frgrance. But it´s biggest problem is indeed the marketing concept. The ads and name creates an expectation of something smoulderingly spicy and oriental. Which it clearly isn´t. It is, however, a competent day-time/office fragrance with with just slightly more character than other recent launches. Mango, cardamom and subtle spices create an overall pleasant experience. I get way better longevity from it than other seem to, 5-6 hours minimum. The jet black bottle looks great but should have been coloured light green or brown instead, better representing it´s content.

15 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2007)

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Sorry, but this is very bad. It's the citrus of Happy for men with "patchouli noir" or in other words: a synthetic earthy note that give me a headache.

27 February, 2006

kmfdm10392's avatar

I've no idea why this would be named "Black". Its smell reminds me of summer days and crisp, checked picnic tables. It is extremely casual. Even before I knew what was in it, I said "this smells like watermelons!" and I found out I was not too far off the mark ( the mango in this is right up front). Having said all that, I am quite fond of it.

14 February, 2006

patelt78's avatar

A solid fragrance. It is definitely in the fresh category, but it has a woody base that makes it seem more refined than polo or acqua di gio.

12 February, 2006

Legends's avatar

Its interesting, its a lot of things but its certainly not black. I like polo blue and this cologne is the same idea as polo blue but its a lot more "manly" in a sense. In my opinion its a lot better than polo blue.

29 January, 2006

teflondog's avatar

Very nice scent. Starts out with a fresh mango note and then develops into...nothing. This literally vanishes after 30 minutes on me. It's a shame too because I like it more than Polo Blue and Romance/Romance Silver. If it weren't for longevity issues, I would have given it a thumbs up.

27 December, 2005

John.com's avatar

Me likes. Not "Purple Label like" mind you, but like none the less. A Clean Formal right down the middle. I wouldn't know iced mango if it booted me on the chin, but there is a fruit element floating around in BL. the patchouli is not present to harsh levels---just right, and the tonka bean provides good body. Overall, I don't have buyers remorse with Black. I needed another versitile formal.

08 December, 2005

Joel_Cairo's avatar

You know what, I have to revise my review. Acquiring a decant made me want to recant (in rhyme). There's nothing wrong with Polo Black but the marketing, its not half bad at all. Sure its far too light-hearted and fresh on top to be a "black", but its a great sunny day office scent. A big step ahead of the Kenneth Coles, with which I would have to class it. The drydown is pretty damn good, and even a little sexy. Give it a shot.

21st November, 2005 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2006)

dallasconundrum's avatar

Not what I was expecting at all. Polo Black is not "bad" but it is not particularly good either. The lasting power is not very good either. I have only worn it a few times, so maybe I need to give it more of a chance.

21st October, 2005

ilnaso's avatar

How unfortunate that Polo created a fragrance with tonka bean that doesn't smell good (at all)! I truly am in love with tonka bean and the fact that it doesn't save this disaster makes me question if tonka is in it at all...sorry ralph try again

11th October, 2005

youare_the_rock..'s avatar

IT has something with evil...spirit.This fragrance shall be signature scent for ss nazi officer-black heat with silver shining human skull &bones on the top.Again -.analogy to catholic cemetary in october the same like "black for man "kenneth cole.-candels, smoky frankincense rotten wet leaws ,and grass....Do anybody know how smell human skull taken from cemetery?-well j had this experience-and j tell you strange ...wet rotten-exactly like down note of black polo.Very strange fragrance...shall we call it scent "fascination culture of the death"?.....

07 October, 2005

Van_Oung_the_Ghost's avatar

smells kind of like some type of leather, not in my must have list but close. I wouldnt mind having it but if I had to buy it compared to the other new fragrances I dont really know, definatly one to consider.

04 October, 2005

JimInCO's avatar

A profound 'DUD.' For whom and for what was this made? This scent has no longevity, no sillage, no nothing. An absolute waste of effort. Sadly, this joins the burgeoning ranks of mediocrity in the realm of fragrance.

23 September, 2005

willplay12's avatar

This is absolutely the best smelling fragrance for men available today. This is a must have!

12 September, 2005

CologneJunkie's avatar

I don't like the top notes, but I like the subtle freshness of the drydown. I just wish it lasted longer.

10th September, 2005