Neutral Reviews of l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

Find out more about l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

MapOfTheWoods's avatar
    MapOfTheWoods

I bought this based on a review I read somewhere. The reviewer mentioned something along the lines of #2 Spiritus/Land being the tougher older brother of Bowling Green (my nostalgic favorite). I was intrigued, of course. Upon trying it for the first time, I was pleased with the incense and ginger notes, but noticed NOTHING in the way of Bowling Green in the slightest (the reviewer must have never smelled Bowling Green, or was high). It has a feel, overall, of a spice rack blended with Springtime. This is not to say that this is great fragrance. Contrarily, this might be the most confusing scent I have owned. I mean, I like it and and stuff... but is this worthy of wearing every day or really trying to impress somebody? No way.

I really enjoy this fragrance in the early Spring. It has a nice personal aroma. Personal in that NOBODY else is going to give a shit about your scent, or mention anything about it to you, unless you ask them first.

I wear this only on certain days, maybe three times a year. That's all this will do for me. I find myself asking: "Is that all there is?"...

Good scent, expensive, hard-to-find. Not great. No wows. No dice. Glad I bought samples and not an entire bottle. "Let's keep dancing..."

16 January, 2013

jimmyfresno's avatar
    jimmyfresno

If fragrances could be film characters, this fragrance would be Hannibal Lechter. It is by far, the most soul-less, hollow and lonely perfume I have ever tested or worn. The Miller et Bertaud fragrances all seem to have a detached chemical aspect to them, but this fragrance is a bone dry (coffin)wood note with a deft use of smoke (cade) that is difficult to titrate artfully. While some have labeled this as a contemplative incense fragrance, I don't get a spiritual or calming vibe from it...I get a depressing emptiness and barren charred landscape. Maybe a scent to be worn if you're going to jump from a building or burn your house down.

I liked Alfarom's review very much...he has dissected this fragrance well.

I am giving this fragrance a "neutral" rating instead of "thumbs down" only because for a detached Goth, this fragrance could be nirvana. Just not for me.

11th September, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Fresh Incense! I know it sounds like an oximoron but overall Spiritus/Land smells exactly like fresh incense. It opens with an incredibly realistic ginger note (but after a while you start to wonder if that was really ginger) and some herbaceous notes to create a quite original accord. Intriguing if not very pleasant, familiar but somehow weird. Everything is juxtaposed to an incensey base that adds to the fragrance a meditative aspect.

While I was waiting for the drydown I went totally crazy to understand this bizarre composition and arrived to this conclusion: It's mainly made of two different parts. On one side you have a very familiar accord that is clean, somehow green and fresh (I call it soap). On the other you have woods, spices and incense. The clash between the two parts gives birth to an odd composition that's quite unique but not completely successful.

03 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

Mar Azul's avatar
    Mar Azul
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

Like someone was trying to make a spicy soap. Not the usual 'oriantal spicy' though, no clove or cinnamon or nutmeg. It immediately reminds me of 'clean' like a bedroom with linen blankets, semi-opened blinds, flowers on the window and some potpourri in the wardrobe. There's a church nearby and a garden with herbs. Not the big city by all means. Quiet happiness, lazy summer afternoons with a book.
    The thing spoiling the deal for me is that in the drydown it becomes a carbon copy of Montana Parfum d'Homme with its freshly cut tobacco, oakmoss and herbs (being a rustic doppelganger of Aramis Havana). ANd it spoils the deal mostly because I remember how excited I was when I bought Parfum d'Homme and then how I was completely unable to wear it. If you don't think that Montana and Aramis are dated smells then this won't spoil it for you.

15 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 July, 2011)

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

Miller Et Bertaux Spiritus Land #2: #2 embraces skin with sparkling notes of tender juicy herbs and a deft hand of spices. it's almost like Franceso Smalto Ph to an extent. only with #2, the quality and smell takes it 30 levels further interms of quality. The tranparency with which this scent exudes it's shimmering quality is purely remarkable. The way spices have been handled in this one is not a step shy from being a masterpiece. i dont detect any prominent notes of thyme or ginger..well, call it a unique blend. However, the image that it evokes for me is " light green" especially betel leaf blended with lovely notes of woods...the scent progresses to harmonize and blend with the skin in a way i have never (and i mean never) experienced before...the soothing quality, the serene nature...and the unique set of progressions makes it 3 different perfume in one. The Top Notes smells nothing like it's mids and the mids nothing like the base notes. just to give a hint, the basenote smells like a refined version of Costes by Hotel Costes. smooth notes of sandalwood treats you with deft touch of incense by mids to basenotes (the quality of incense? non parellel). i'm overwhelmed to say the least. This ones a must have or at least, must test.

06 February, 2009

markc's avatar
    markc

I would say this is very comforting and relaxing. However, the name to me implied more of an earthy dirty incense, not a clean soapy pretty one. Very soapy to my nose, and after reading of the pickled-ginger note, I agree with that as well. Not bad by any means, just not what I was expecting.

24 May, 2007

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Interesting. Quite chilly, like a CdG scent, maybe Zagorsk or one of the Synthetics. I get incense and a sharp soapy/herbal/green presence, but also something warm and comforting. I like it, but I don't know why since it's not "pretty" and not in my usual style. It should be too soapy and cold and sharp for me, but that warm, cosy tobacco/incense note makes me like it, as well as the exotic strangeness of it. It's like smelling metal and ginger, perhaps fresh ginger being cut up with a knife in a room with a lingering trace of incense and spices in the air.

22 September, 2006