Neutral Reviews of L'Homme Sage by Divine

Find out more about L'Homme Sage by Divine in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

It's hard to put a handle on this fragrance. While it presents a typically masculine visage with its aromatic woodsy-spicy incensey profile, there is no denying the existence of a sweetish fruity undertone. An interesting juxtaposition or an unnecessary distraction? You decide. But I don't really smell a wise guy here. More of a shy guy with its discreet projection.

30th April, 2013

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

The squareness of this homme’s jaw is unmistakeable – it ticks so many of the ‘masculine’ boxes it is a small wonder it doesn’t veer into travesty. To its credit, it remains calm and contained without displaying bullish urges. This one’s a gent.
    After an easy opening of bright, powdery, slightly bitter, spiced mandarin (banish all notions of New York, this smells entirely different), a truly complex creation reveals itself. It shapeshifts successfully, now revealing a fir facet, now some patchouli and woods, a flash of leather, spice and incense – oh and did I mention resins? Again, it does this quite naturally without going into maximalist overdrive, but funnily enough for so much changeability the overall feel is a bit too trad for my tastes. My nose encounters a minor problem with some of the resinous tones which bring a cheapening whiff of the hardware store. I can see how the warmth and overall discretion of this perfume will please many. The deep drydown (after about 4 hours of wear) is a bit of a blanket, even and fuzzy, though also quite comforting.

17th April, 2013

Sunsetspawn's avatar

So I wore this today and some things stood out immediately. The patchouli somehow behaves like a top note, and it seems to have a similar edge to the patchouli used in L'instant de Guerlain. It's very prominent for the first two or three hours and then runs and hides. After the patchouli breaks out like acne we're treated to everything else, which is quiet, conservative, masculine, powdery, and is a bit of an ambery, herbal incense. The powdery smell is similar to Tiffany's powder smell, and I can only speculate as to what is actually causing it. And that's what this review comes down to: The powdery smell in L'Homme Sage makes me not want to wear it.

27th March, 2012

digger51's avatar

I have nothing bad to say about L'Homme Sage, but I do not have anything really nice to say about it either. Thus the neutral rating. I had high hopes for this one based upon reviews but it is not what I am looking for and I would rarely wear it. I would say give it a try because you might really like it. As I said I do not dislike it, but not my thing.

28th February, 2011

Boster's avatar

Really quite a quiet and background scent. I'm not crazy about the liquorice, but it remains blended and subdued until you really think about it. It has a bit of a soapy and iris character that I don't like. Never detected any sage.
    Hard to know whether it should be applied heavy or light. Right in the middle for me. I wouldn't suggest to anyone not to try it. Could be an easy default scent.

26th October, 2009

Justin Case's avatar

You can think of this as wearing a hint of Lagerfield while smelling lots of incense smoke. If someone else is wearing it, you'd probably not think it's coming from a person, rather from an object somewhere. As it dries down, the smoke element fades and a more welcoming scent emerges, but still not pleasant enough for my taste.

22nd March, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Quite nice niche fragrance which, after all, isn`t that exciting or unique, though. Herbal and spicy in the beginning, while the base reveils a massive doze of amber(gris) to my nose. That and incensy patchouli. Smells very masculine to me.

At the end of the day L'Homme Sage smells *grey*, a bit rubbery, smooth and warm. It`s very aromatic experience and comes highly recommed if you`re into a easily wearable conservative stuff that has some animalic edge, and strong powerful masculine presence with contemporary touch.

07th November, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Divine's fragrances are strange. They remind me of everything else. This one reminds me of L'Artisan's Saffron Troublant. With a less peppery note (saffron) with a more herbal, minty note (sage).

06th September, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

I’ve tried L’homme sage three times. It is an interesting, complex scent with attractive features, and I wanted to give it fair consideration. Bottom line: this is probably the loveliest patchouli-amber scent I know. My problem is that I find those elements to be rich and sweet, and I am not greatly attracted to them when they dominate a fragrance. This is a spicy, rich scent: aromatic at times with some very good wood notes. The incense has a good resinous quality. This is not a business or day scent, quite frankly it is a date scent and probably works quite well in that regard. My taste is more austere than this style, so I admire it but only give it a neutral rating. But I can see why it is popular.

09th December, 2007

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Not for me. The opening is much too sweet to be wise. It settles down after a couple of hours (no complaints aout longevity with this one) and is then bearable. Really best suited for the 'Yumsters!' crowd.
    Development is amazing, though.
    At the end, you'd swear you've worn several different frags. Drydown is quite good but there's a weird herbal mid-note ( I should talk, I love Minotaure ) that is off-putting.
    I can appreciate it as a work of the perfumer's art, just not anything I'd care to wear.

30th April, 2007

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Surprisingly conventional, I'm sad to say. It has that "perfumey" quality about ut, smooth and artificial and "cool" like men's perfumes often are. Underneath, there are interesting herbs and spices, woods and incense, but they're smoothed out by this conventional sweetness, like the overly sweet fruits in Le Dandy. It even has a soapy hint, which I detest. Still, by no means loathsome, just a disappointment.

10th January, 2007

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Rich smoothie, lush vanilla spice, with certain affinities to KL Homme and some of Serge Lutens'productions. By no means horrible, but it does not make me want to burst my pantaloons in ecstasy.

26th May, 2006