Positive Reviews of L'Homme Sage by Divine

Find out more about L'Homme Sage by Divine in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Rich, round, unmistakable opening with a really tight and complex texture. Basically a fruity, spicy, kind of gloomy blend, with a subtle but still bold accord of earthy oak moss and patchouli, which underline and support the raw, shady side of the scent, while the more prominent flower notes and the aromatic woods create a superb, unique, slightly boozy tea-like aroma melting with the wonderful, fruity-spiced accord of saffron, mandarin and pungent fruits (Vasnier used litchee notes and I trust that, although I only detect a pungent, syrupy, fresh fruit note that can actually be anything). Miles down you can feel the solid base of styrax and cistus, which kind of "shape" the scent with a masculine uplifting touch, giving it a slight unique fougère personality. Words fail a bit here, basing on my description this may sound messy and super-rich, while in fact it's really simple and wearable, just really compact, consistent, harmonic and tightly-packed – like looking a perfectly-formed thingy through a microscope lens, you then realize it's made of billions of (whatever it's made of). Highly wearable, with a perfect persistence and sillage, a real (and sadly, apparently much underrated) total marvel.

16 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2014)

drmike's avatar

as of September 2013 my favourite scent of all time

Ok this is my first review here ! Let me start by saying for the last two years i have treasured my bottle of this divine scent (pun intended) But trying to write about my subjective feeling seems different from that of other reviews, OK i've just sprayed it on my arm. 10 seconds in what i get is not all this fancy mandarin and lychee so talked of, what i get is furniture polish or even boot polish. but oh its wonderful. it lasts of only 15 seconds and already i miss that scent. is just. Just as I am about to brust in tears off we go on a roller coaster. Imagine an italian undercover agent dressed in slick well cut leather. The aroma begins to strengthen and 5 minutes in we are now sitting in the back of a bentley leather accords abound. then out comes a cigar and the scent of nicotinia begins to come to the for. Then well the car stopps outside a tibetan monetary, the guy grabs a few incense sticks then runs into a catholic church and lights them up. There is sort of sacred church like smell a bit damp warm glowing and the sweet resin grows , maybe he lit a candle i don't know. the guy is obviously on some sort journey but heads turn.

After 12 hours the warm embers of this wonderful scent still delight the senses.

Don't be fooled by hype. to me this is a very synthetic scent but one that would make me proud to admit it.

Literally everyone comments on this scent. to me nothing is like it. it is genius . I want to find a better scent than this so far can't . i love it , i love it , i love it.

Pros: Wonderfully masculine, heady , great silage and longevity
    Cons: its hard to get the refills. "

09 September, 2013

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

An Absolutely Gorgeous Discovery!

I love this masculine creation from the French House of Divine.

The scent has a delightful spicy, warm and smoky blend of notes with a lovely incense drydown.

I wished it was a bit more powerful and had better longevity.

19 February, 2013

nonnative's avatar

Classy and powdery. A real vintage masculine scent without the side effects of vintage bottles. A very wise parfume, as its title!

28 November, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

This opens with a warm spicy blast of saffron and cardamom with a big dose of incense and it smells really good. After this opening I'm detecting a slightly sweet fruity note which becomes stronger within the mix. This notes cuts through the spicyness to transform the scent making it lighter and its quickly joined with some patchouli.

The scent has now become quite aromatic and balmy and I'm really liking this. It also gets a bit smoky and the fruit has now made the scent sweeter so you have a "Fruity Slightly Sweet Spicy Balmy Fragrance".

I really like the opening to this and how it's really warm and spicy to begin with and then how the slight fruitness quickly transforms the scent by making it lighter and aromatic. Good fragrance.

28 September, 2012

StylinLA's avatar

The review by LiveJazz takes the wind out of my sails. A great description of a scent that to me defies description. I agree with everything he said.

It's strong, but not overpowering, sweet, but not too sweet, manly, but not too manly, etc.

A great saffron and fruit open, followed by "I'm not sure how to describe it." To my nose, I guess the incense dominates after drydown. But not always. Wait...just noticed amber...Ummm, hold on, is that leather? Hey, how they'd get imortelle in here...i dont like imortelle. The notes are so well blended to me that no one note can lay claim to the scent.

Tried this on a rec from a very beautiful woman who knows fragrances well. She thinks this is the hands down best men's scent. I dont know about that, but I found her opinion worth a sniff. So glad I did.

Excellent juice. I have a lot of frags and this is getting worn a lot. Will always have a bottle of this handy.

27 November, 2011

dollars&scents's avatar

L'Homme Sage by Divine - As it opens, one is treated to a wonderful, spicy, tropical fruit accord, tempered by a timid amber in the background. As the fruity accord runs its course, this submissive amber warmly steers the scent into its heart, a wetish woodsy and shy semi-sweetness melange. Thence, the somewhat forceful base with its greenness and smokiness pulls this soothing middle, and allows the amber to shine with the oakmoss and incense. A delightful journey, with varied stops along the way. This masterfully blended fragrance has good projection and longevity. Do partake!

11th November, 2011

silentrich's avatar

Combine L' Air du Desert Marocain and By Killian's Back to Black and this would be the result. Minus the over the top amber and tone down the spices of L'Air du Desert Marocain plus the toned down tobacco note in Back to Black. During the heart the sweetness fades and what your left with throughout the life of the fragrance is a smooth patchouli and incense. Takes a good nose to fully appreciate it, but if you've been around the fragrance block a few times you'll immediately recognize that it's a quality fragrance. Sillage is perfect for this kind of fragrance and longevity is excellent. Very nice indeed.

08 September, 2011

Kaern's avatar

The only negative comments I have about L'Homme Sage is that it is rather bare and bony. That aside, it is one of the most beautiful mens fragrances money can buy.

06 September, 2011

Orpheus99's avatar

I have tried this twice now, and I really like it. It has a very spicy/herbal masculine vibe, tangentially similar to Azzaro PH. It seems fairly loud when I first apply, but as it dries down, it hangs much closer to the skin. This is a very smooth scent; I get a peppery warmth from the saffron, a little spiky punctuation from the patchouli (but nothing harsh), and some very nice soft woods in the base. I don't detect the soapiness that some others have noted. The longevity is very good, 6-8 hours. This is one of those fragrances I can see myself craving to wear from tiime to time, thus it's going on my full bottle purchase list. Grade: Solid A

04 September, 2011

alfarom's avatar

L'Homme Sage opens like a firework. A tiny and barely perceptible (mandarine) shot towards the dark sky that explodes with a magnificent and stunning effect (saffron). Wow! At this point the firework usually starts to fade out but with L'Homme Sage it's like witnessing to the "gran finale" as smoky frankincense, cardamom and woods immediately start to shine surrounded by a consistent dose of sweet amber and achieving an incredible lasting power.

Overall, after the sparkling opening, L'Homme Sage has a warm character, It's comfortable, deep, velvety and kinda meditative. A bold (but not loud) composition that has a solid structure and some weight and remarks its presence with a very distinctive allure.

L'Homme Sage is here to prove that in modern perfumery is still possible to produce a concoction of ingredients that deserves to be called a FRAGRANCE! Very Good!

27 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2012)

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

The top notes are incredibly rich...a woodsy smoke with a touch of chocolate. Fresh, rich, sweet, and warm all at the same time. A piney gourmand.

After this, a strong incense note comes out. Tingles the nose. But is very sophisticated. It has one note here that reminds me of Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste, though I'm not sure what it is. Some very very slight amber notes, overpowered by the incense.

11th November, 2009

LiveJazz's avatar

L'Homme Sage is an excellent scent. I understand the critiques that it doesn't really have a "quirk" about it, but at the same time, what really smells like it? It's one of those scents that manages to seem familiar, strong and comforting even though it stands alone. To me, this is a mark of greatness.

The fact that reviewers are so diverse in their impressions of L'Homme Sage is also telling. It features an array of contrasting notes that really seem to fit together like puzzle pieces - this is an exquisitely blended fragrance that, upon multiple wears, reveals some deep, deep hidden characteristics.

The opening for me is dry, parched fruit and spices. This is not juicy fruit or refreshing fruit, but sun-baked fruit with all sweetness removed - fruit essence. Incense starts creeping in almost immediately and for me, it's a dominant figure throughout the evolution of the scent. As the opening salvo of fruit essence and exotic spices fade to the background, a resinous, parched, smoky, woody, amber accord comes into play.

I never quite understood the meaning of the word "resinous" in reference to fragrance before. L'Homme Sage made me understand. Here it is a half-burnt, oily wood aroma, combined with a dusty amber note. A good helping of oakmoss gives the base an uncommon depth and richness. You can almost feel it enter your nose swirl around your olfactory nerves.

Like L'Air du Desert Marocain, everything about this scent is arid, but where that scent is like dry rocks and spices, this is like dry timbers, aged with years of incense smoke. Little traces of background notes flit in and out. A little soil here, a little green there, some pepper peeking out over yonder.

Anyway, I strongly recommend it. You could spend months familiarizing yourself with this gem. It is nuanced and fascinating while always remaining immensely wearable and strangely familiar.

08 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2009)

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

The first thought that came into my head was one of being surrounded by a moist, sweet, spicy and bright-white 'dry ice' smoke. The initially smokiness borders on cloying and overwhelming but never goes over the edge.

The blending of the fragrance is very, very good, this makes separating out the individual elements throughout entire duration quite a strain. It's only present to my nose for a short time but I would swear that there's clove. Also there, though for longer, is sweet liquorice and a fruit I can't place for sure (maybe lychee). For the life of me I can't detect sage, yet the fragrance is definitely herbal. I have some fresh tarragon growing in my home and although not a dead ringer there's a definite similarity. If I'm correct about the tarragon it would explain the liquorice smell, as anise is present in both. The strangest smell of all that I believe to be there is that of turpentine.

It's now eight hours after application and L'Homme Sage is still plainly present on the back of my hand. The strong smokiness, which really only lasted for the first hour is long gone. For the remaining time, although still smoky, the fragrance has been much more velvety, with the always present sweet herbal.

I would suggest L’Homme Sage in flash over people’s romantic favourites like Envy or Ghost Man. All too often romantic scents are overly sweet, and although I can wear neither Envy nor Ghost due to an allergic reaction (that causes me to wheeze), it’s L’Homme Sage’s ability to be romantic without the over-sweetness that wins out.

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

L'homme sage is a black and white scent.

During all stages of development, the different notes of this perfume change constantly its character from pitch dark to an almost metallic white brightness - and back.

If you apply it to the skin, the darker aspects will prevail in the end. But if applied to a shirt, the brighter notes will remain after the drydown.

Black or white? It might attract those who cannot decide which side they are on.

Currently, I decide almost every day to wear it.

30th January, 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar

Moltening, Asha & Jenson have said everything I could want to say about this one. It's really a fabulous scent, well crafted IMO.

21st January, 2009

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

From my old post last year:

IMO, as a house, Divine is really underrated. How often do we see threads on Divine? I have recently finished my sample of L'homme Sage and have been considering whether it is bottle-worthy or not. Here's what I thought of it:

L'homme Sage begins with a spicy blast of aromatic saffron and cardamom that recalls an Indian spice market that I have often passed through in my youth, which melds in beautifully with the bitter-sweet citrus that is hidden together with some subtle notes of fruit. (lychee I say) We are then lead by the trail of smoky incense through the woods with little flowers along the way into a base of very lovely patchouli and amber that is complimented by some very pleasant wood notes. By that time, we have already reached a wooden log cabin -- filled with the serene scent of "being at home, with peace of mind, and away from the chaos" surrounded by the enveloping earthiness of the woods that surround the cabin. Like the sage, this scent quietly seduces with words of wisdom, not with sheer power or brute force. Simply divine!

Okay, enough flowery language. This spicy-woody-sweet scent to me smells really smooth, sophisticated, and complex. However, I sometimes feel that a little something is missing when I wear it despite it being very rich and "3-dimensional." (a little more oomph would be great) Maybe because it is too solemnly made without any sort of quirks or playfulness? Nevertheless, it is a very attractive and compelling blend indeed, but it could've been something more as well. Sillage is somewhere between okay to good --- and it stays surprisingly quite close to the skin for such a rich scent.

So -- what do you think? Is it worth the price for you? The sleek 50ml spray is 75euro ... while the 150ml flacon is 150euro. Personally, I think the 150ml is definitely worth the price. Despite some shortcomings, I find it impossible to not give this a thumbs up.

03 January, 2009

Asha's avatar

On first application, L'HS has a distinct licorice candy scent, backed up by an herbal blend and a sweet amber musk. The licorice is not cloying to me--it is a grownup scent which reminds me of those little italian licorice pastilles which have no sugar added. The only sweetness is what comes from the licorice root itself, and the flavor mostly comes from anise. This stage does not last long, but gradually gives way to the herbs and amber/musk. Also, a bit of fern (or what I would call the "fougere" note) peeks out, but is not very strong at this point.

The herbal stage lasts a bit longer. So far I do not smell any resemblance to Le Nez Let me Play the Lion (a comparison that was made by another BNer). However, I agree that there is a sort of cloud-like quality--individual herbs are difficult to identify in this blend. I don't smell sage at all, to be honest. Sage is bitter and medicinal, and L'HS never loses its gentle sweetness on me (which is very surprising). I am wondering if it is artemesia rather than salvia--we did have this discussion regarding Let Me Play the Lion. Artemesia is not really a sage, but one type of artemesia has a common name of sagebrush. Its aroma (while the leaves are still alive) can tend toward a licorice or sweet herbal, slightly woody smell. It still reminds me of a high quality version of Bulgari Eau Parfumee Au The Rouge.

The drydown is a sweet amber/musk with a touch of fern ("fougere"). This same base is used in other fragrances, so it is not all that unusual. However, it is very pleasant. I guess the question is--is it worth the money? Are the unique top and mid notes enough to justify a bottle? I think you could do worse. It is a very pleasant scent from top to bottom, no matter how you look at it. And, the ingredients seem to be of high quality, so you don't end up with a cheap, grating musk or other off notes.

Longevity seems good, at least for the base notes. The top was gone within the first hour, and the middle was gone within the first 2-3. I can still smell the base without putting my arm to my nose, and it has been around 7 hours since I applied it.

22 October, 2008

jenson's avatar

India India

L'homme Sage has a divine opening, like a white light, a Glow. A powdery burst of fruity notes and spices(mainly barks and roots kind). Fruity notes are so well rounded and delicately coated with spices with a hint of lime peel..the color and approach this scent evokes is very similar to Himalaya, however, all the similarities end in 15 minutes because, the Sage has finally come out of the white light and descended to a divine forest on Earth..this scent take a complete u-turn after 15 minutes or so..one can encounter the earthiness, the wet nature, the smell of freshly chopped wood or maybe the smell of wet bark of a tree. The patchouli with the hints of vetiver adds to the earthiness of this gem. This scent stays dry and smells very real, smells of damp earth and woody notes, not scented woody notes, but just plain wood in a rain forest..as each minutes passes by..one can clearly see these notes wafting of the skin with clear notes of Incense, one of a kind that i have encountered. The smell is very, very, very similar to Lez Nez Let me Play the Lion(LMPTL). i had earlier claimed how disappointing LMPTL was for me..i just didnt get it. but Divine made it simpler for me, it is definitely superior than LMPTL and all counts in terms if execution. With Lhomme Sage, i understood, it was clear, notes were more visible and real. Sage has a very rock solid foundation of one of the best Amber notes and Oakmoss. I think with Sage, Divine tried to accomplish a Scent which would be a Sage in itself. Rock solid theme which, if one gave some thought would really make lot of sense. and Yes, i could very well relate to the name this scent represents.

Fans of earthy green, woody scents, please take a note. this not a scent for parties or office. however, it definitely is something you could approach once you reach home from work, something to wear after a shower, something for colder wheathers..something to wear under the sweater to give you the utmost comfort and warmth without interfering much but, at the same time be there for you when needed. Sage lasts for over 8+ hours easy

01st September, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2008)

Strollyourlobster's avatar

When I wear L'Homme Sage to work it irritates me a bit, it's out of place. Or reminds me that I am, perhaps. This is a fragrance for quiet days, to be worn in quiet amounts. Yann Vasnier, the nose behind this creation, here balances anise beautifully with spice, herbs and incense. Think Parfum Sacre meets Rive Gauche Pour Homme, but less sweet than the former and more about the natural world than the latter. If you want to enjoy Azzaro Pour Homme but find it too unidimensional, you might love this.

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 April, 2008)

tvlampboy's avatar

Velvety, nutty, rich and spicy -- easily Divine's best fragrance to date. The saffron can be a little off-putting right at first; however, the drydown is well worth the first five or ten minutes of smelling like a very nutty paella.

L'Homme Sage is a half-brother to Dzongkha and a very, very close cousin to Mechant Loup. Is it worth the luckyscent price? No, IMHO, it's not. It IS, however, well worth the money if you do what I do and get a large bottle directly from France. (This is what I did with a fellow Basenoter -- made a bottle split and put up with international shipping in order to get the substantial price break.)

18 December, 2007

purplebird7's avatar

L'Homme Sage--the name translates into "the wise man," and the fragrance has nothing to do with sage. It has much to do with cardamom and saffron and the unusual fruity note of lychee. My first experience with this fruit was long ago, at a Chinese restaurant which sold dried lychee fruit in a big, glass jar. The peel shocked me by cracking and crumbling into pieces, hollow inside except for a tiny dried fruit on a pit. It was sweet like prune or fig, and I will always associate that taste with mysterious Chinese spices. This is the same context in which lychee is presented in this fragrance. L'Homme Sage is a spicy Oriental with nicely done fruit overtones and a sweet but woody base with enough incense to keep it lively and leaning toward the masculine side, although it is lovely on women, too.

20th October, 2007

ifconfig's avatar

Divine's L'Homme Sage is overwhelmingly good. Frankly, I don't know if it's worth the $120 for a 50ml bottle, but I'm terribly and sorely tempted. Brilliant, and simply so.

16 December, 2006

The opening is a wonderfully smooth and luxurious saffron and citrus, with a rich amber already adding its silkiness and sweetness to the fragrance. I can barely detect the patchouli and the incense in the background: I think they are a little too subtle and a stronger presence might be desirable. However, there are now several fragrances which make use of the patchouli / incense combination so maybe L’Homme Sage doesn’t have to be another one of the same old thing. The amber continues throughout the whole progression of the scent. L’Homme Sage is a lush, rich scent—solid and long lasting and with smoothly sensual accords. I feel it’s missing something, though. I think it needs a touch more drama or quirkiness, but still its rich smoothness earns it thumbs up.

29 October, 2006

robyogi's avatar

A dry, dusty incense scent with fruits and spices. An intellectual scent, not brooding, but rather thought-inducing: in other words, it puts me in the mood to think. Incense seems to have this effect on me. It has some affinities to Amouage scents, probably because of the incense - Dia is the one I would most associate it with - though Dia is brighter and cheerier. Sage is more "forest green," without being a green scent or foresty in the least (the image it brings to mind is one of "dark green," that's all). Maybe it also shares a quality with Encens et Lavande, though to my nose, it's more complex and they smell nothing alike, just share a quality. In a rare disagreement with Deano, I have to say that some days Divine L'Homme Sage does make me want to burst my pantaloons.

27 July, 2006

GenuineImitationLife's avatar

L'Homme Sage is such a delicious spice overdose that I seem to just want more and more of it; it certainly has an addictive drug-like quality.

Top notes: saffron, mandarin, cardamom and lychee

Middle notes: balm, aromatic woods, everlasting flowers and patchouli

Basenotes: oak moss, amber and incense.

There is a warm, emotional aspect to the fragrance. It has depth, sparkle and brightness. This is a very powerful scent and a small amount goes a long way; wonderful sillage and the longevity is exceptional.

A unique and unusual fragrance that has quality and originality. Full marks!

24 July, 2006

Joe_Frances's avatar

L'homme sage is a slightly warm woodsy, spicy fragrance that is as seductive as it is subtle. It stays close to the skin after an hour, but will be with you all day. Some intimate closeness will reveal its specialness to others, and will honor the wearer with admiration and interest from those who have the pleasure of enjoying it with you. Spectacular in a manly, calm way. One of the best of the new. Must try.

Joe

05 May, 2006

Trasker's avatar

Probably one of the most seductive scents I've ever tried. Perfectly blended! I will always own this.

21st March, 2006

iMaverick's avatar

L'Homme Sage. It's remarkable! Frag for the silent intellectual who believes that his allure is most effective by not talking at all. It's dark, but what lurks beneath is this tenderness that you swear it looks right into your soul. Don't wear this if you're afraid of being a bit vulnerable.

24 October, 2005