Negative Reviews of Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

A definite thumbs down.
A fellow basenoter commented on the Heeley Yuzu thread that this is easily a flyer and should satisfy any Yuzu cravings.
Wrong.
There is a slightly fresh citrusy opening but from then on its a sickly dry powdery barbershoppy Lemon rose with hint of Yuzu straight up the nose -that would be the pepper- annoyance.
Heeley's Yuzu outclasses it by a country mile and achieves its goal of being fresh and enjoyable metromasculine justifying its place above Heeley's similar product Sel Marine.

Phew. Washed it off.
But if you like dry powdery barber shop smells fair enough.

Fragrance: 2.5/5
Projection: 3.5/5
Longevity: 3.5/5
06th December, 2017
jcw122 Show all reviews
This scent makes me nauseous. The wood smell is too intense and simply smells like dark-stained wooden furniture. You can say it smells refined and formal and all that...but honestly it reminds me too much of furniture. Yuck.
16th September, 2012
The emperor's new scent - in that I cannot detect anything at first, then a very very light blend of spice/celery/clove - hardly detectable despite a sizeable dose. This may work better on other skins, but alas to my nose and hide it has no credentials.

10 notes:

Top: Bourbon Black Pepper, Yuzi Fruit, Coriander
Middle: Clove Rose, Cinnamon, Incense
Base: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Clarawood, Musk
11th January, 2008 (last edited: 13th July, 2011)

To my nose the top notes are problematic. I experience them as bergamot & lavendar; sour, bitter, turpentine, with a little sweetening. The combination always puts me off. I wonder if anyone else experiences top notes like that in this fragrance. I find that many men's fragrances have this citrus & lavender character. After the top notes dissappear, there is an oriental wood fragrance "tainted" with residual top notes.
22nd March, 2006