Reviews

Positive Reviews of Ellenisia by Penhaligon's

Ellenisia by Penhaligon’s is a rich yet discreet floral scent quite on the white-green-sweet side with a watercolour rose heart, somehow quite conventional but really pleasant and pleasantly “British” as regards of its soapy, slightly nostalgic sense of refinement, as much classy as restrained. Plus, it also feels quite youthful and lively, albeit a bit melancholic – shortly nothing outdated or too formal/mature. Some metallic-camphorous nuances “ruin” a bit the romanticism here, but they’re subtle: what you get is mostly jasmine (quite clean, nothing indolic), sandalwood, something greenish providing a crisp and crunchy “leafy” feel (think it is that “violet leaves” note), resins, and a really quiet but dense tuberose note - don’t expect any headache-inducing note, it is there more just to add an earthy stout vein to the floral accord. The evolution is quick and well, much “evolving”, as it passes through different stages – at some point it almost feels an osmanthus-fruity-tea note emerges, then it all goes back to greenish-white territories, finally drifting towards earthier-camphoraceous nuances. Overall a totally solid and compelling fragrance, really elegant, clean, sharp and to me, perfectly composed and with totally good materials, as far as I can tell. The persistence is good and vibrant, with a subtle “carnal” feel but with a Victorian mood – a pale, restrained, pulsating yet “bourgeois” kind of carnal (shortly, a bit frigid, no offense). Cold and luminous like a London garden in mid-March, with clouds coming and going. Nice!

7,5-8/10
24th January, 2015
Elsie Show all reviews
One of my most favourite florals of all time. So pretty, but not too granny-ish. It lasts well and I'm always being complimented whenever I wear it. Even the bottle is perfect on my dressing table!

There is nothing sexy about this fragrance it's all classy innocence, so not for night wear, but perfect for happy days out with the family picnic-ing in the countryside!
23rd August, 2012
ELLENISIA is so pretty and happy, like a clear morning in spring still clinging to winter’s chill. (LOTR fans should get that reference.) Sometimes violet can make me sad, as in Apres L'Ondee, but not Ellenisia. It stays green and upbeat, all the way through. It's slightly green opening is surprisingly similar to AL'O but without the anise. Although I love AL’O, I think I would prefer Ellenisia as it must be the anise in the opening that seems to pull my mood down.

I can close my eyes and see the first green shoots poking through the gray cold earth - one of my most beloved harbingers of spring. The jasmine, gardenia and tuberose all play so nicely together that no one stands out in a harsh or headache-inducing way, making it a white floral that some white floral-haters might be able to wear. Dry down is a pretty violet and plum, although it could be a little woodier. Vanilla is around just to give a little depth, not noticeable as vanilla.

Moderate sillage and excellent longevity, going on 6 hours and it is still going strong. Perfect spring scent!!
11th February, 2011
Nukapai Show all reviews
This reminds me of the (now discontinued, little-known) scent Trussardi Action for Women. It has taken florals in the same kind of somewhat sterilised, yet sweet direction with heavy emphasis on the green/powdery/violet accord.

I would like to note that I smelled this on a friend at the same time as I made the purchase and what was striking is how incredibly different our wrists smelled just after a couple of minutes. The perfume was rather green on her; almost unpleasant.

It goes sweet, soft, powdery and feminine on my skin. The best comparison besides Trussardi Action would be Fracas without the sex. It feels somewhere between a young girl's first romantic date and a mumsy, comfortably feminine floral.

The tuberose/gardenia accord smells almost entirely artificial (and they've certainly used some ionones on top of violet leaf, if any, in the scent).

I find the end result very pleasant and wearable. Thumbs up!
09th February, 2011
*swoon* Im in love with this scent!

Iit has all the notes i love, and the biggest plus is that it has lastingpower! ,i can't stop raving about how good this perfume is,i would reccommand this for everyone who wants a fresh&loud ( summer) perfume, its a scent that never gets boring and always will bring a smile to your face

im glad i own a bottle of this beautifull scent..i will repurchase whenever im running low
08th August, 2010 (last edited: 22nd January, 2011)
This is perhaps my favorite. I love the gardenia which comes off surprisingly warm to me. I am unable to express everything that I smell with it, but what it reminds me of is strong femininity. I feel beautiful when I wear this and that is a powerful achievement for a small spritz. It is also long-lasting. I will sum it up as saying that this is a fragrance that makes me breathe a little deeper when I'm wearing it.
24th August, 2009
Gave this to my wife which she enjoyed - two thumbs up
11th August, 2009
An extremely feminine mix of the heady gardenia and tuberose, reinforced by jasmine, rose, vanilla and plum nectar. Very luxurious and every note distinct to the nose. It’s like being in a Southern garden by moonlight. This is pure indulgence. A warning though to use it sparingly as it lasts and lasts and this type of scent (like Penhaligon’s LILY AND SPICE) can become cloying as the hours pass by.

8 notes:
Top: Mandarin Zest, Vilolet Leaf
Middle: Gardenia, Tuberose, Rose, Jasmine
Base: Plum Nectar, Vanilla
15th January, 2008
Tovah Show all reviews
If you love Chanel Gardenia, you're sure to love Ellenisia, (at least, if your chemistry is anything like mine). Ellenisia is a lovely, feminine gardenia-jasmine-dry vanilla concotion that smells like a warm summer breeze in a garden filled with white flowers. There's a tiny hint of white rose as the fragrance develops, but the drydown is similar to the white floral opening, with stronger dry vanilla. Ellenisia is somehow "happier" than the Gardenia, regardless of their similarities. Chanel Gardenia's garden has a ghost, but Ellenisia's garden lacks all haunting, despite its otherworldly name.
01st November, 2007