Reviews of Fougères Marines by Montale

Find out more about Fougères Marines by Montale in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

A horrible ozonic scent straight from the '90s with greenish synthetic stuff underneath, so cheap even supermarkets won't accept it.

21st August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

I can’t decide which is more trite: the Cool Water-inspired fruity fougère accord at Fougères Marines’ core, or the walloping dose of Calone that comprises the “marine” element. In any case, I see no reason to pay niche perfumery prices for ideas that were passé in the last century.

14 June, 2014

jbordeau's avatar

Yes, it's kind of Tommy, kind of Baldessarini, boldly unoriginal

I sort of like the way this fragrance smells, but it's rather strong in an uninviting way. Harshness is not the way to get my attention. After a while I realized it has much of the base of Baldessarini but without the fruit that makes that one delicious. It has the tenacity of Tommy and all its charm (or lack thereof). I feel I've smelled this already a hundred times on every kind of man. At this price point, the lack of anything interesting is criminal. I love the bottle though; not to be commended otherwise.

Pros: smells pretty good
    Cons: fairly nondescript for this premium price

01st July, 2013

reveillee's avatar

A basic aquatic. Nothing new but not bad.

03 March, 2013

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Smells nice but wait...This is really Tommy Hilfiger - Tommy.

24 October, 2012

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Roman_Nik is right, this does heavily remind one of a very popular, ubiquitous 90's scent, but it's not polo sport.

Montale's Fougere Marine is something like an EDP-strength version of Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger. Lovers of Tommy should definitely try this. The cranberry, subtle spices, plentiful greens, and overall signature of Tommy is there. Of course the ingredient quality and blending is better, but that's to be expected at this price point.

20th June, 2011

roman_nik's avatar

Nothing to add really other than what has been said. It's a safe scent. Nothing special imo. I keep trying the sample and if simply fails to impress me in any way. It also reminds me of Polo Sport way too much. Not a good thing as when I was growing up the whole school (1997-1998) smelled like Polo Sport.

14 June, 2011

LushLife's avatar

I can see how people have panned this fragrance, as it doesn't do anything remarkable, but what it does it seems to do quite well. The marine note is there, as is the fern note, and it all seems enveloped in a warm cozy blanket. I was actually expecting it to be more 'fresh' but it was still likeable. If anything maybe it was too warm and cozy and not fresh, sharp, or cool enough. I was looking for the latter qualities, but still found it to be a relatively well done scent.

29 April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

I won't spend many words on this one. Simply awful. It reminded me of Walmart room fragrances or super discounted teenagers perfumes. Thumbs Down, definitely!

05 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

Oh, yes, something about Fougère Marine is very familiar. It is neither Green Irish Tweed nor Cool Water, but can’t place it and I’ve been going through my samples for ten days now—I’ve given up. Fougère Marine has an exceptional fougere opening of lavender and green—fern, I would imagine. It is clean and refreshing, bright and uplifting. But that is about the extent of everything I get out of this fragrance. To my nose it doesn’t change much from the opening through the middle notes—it just gets less intense. The fougere part of the fragrance comes through clearly and strong, but I don’t get very much of the marine notes that others mention. I certainly don’t get much of a drydown; the whole fragrance disappears on me within two hours. I just don’t connect very much with this one…

Originally submitted 24 May 2007

04 December, 2010

Sunsetspawn's avatar

I've been hanging on to a small decant of this for awhile now. After many tiny samplings, and now my second wearing, AND a lot of experience with smelling thangs, I think I can make judgment. This here Fougères Marines is simple, and wonderful. A combination of 3 things make this the winner that it is. First, we have the green fougere scent (that isn't really fern because ferns don't smell but that's another story) that dominates, though not too much. Next, we have the mild fruity and even milder aquatic tones that balance out the traditional smell. Now you may want to cry "mainstream" at it, but, the devil is in the details. The quality of ingredients and the superb blending put this a solid notch above mainstream.

Yes, it's safe, but it's also delicious, and here's how I know for sure. While wearing it I actually had a desire to get closer to people so they could appreciate the deliciousness of that which I was wearing, and I also caught a compliment.

29 September, 2010

PorkFat's avatar

This is very similar to Varvatos Vintage. Another mainstream job by Montale. His originality has been waning for a while as he clones popular designer fragrances. Let's see, what else does he have under his belt? Terre d'Hermes/Red Vetyver, Gucci Pour Homme/Greyland, Embruns d'Essenza/L'eau d'Issey, Boise Fruite/Silver Mountain Water.

This has the same fruity ozone characteristics of Vintage without the evergreen and leather notes.

What's funny are the same people who rate Vintage poorly, rate this clone highly. It is done better and is far more natural-smelling but it is not worth the additional price if you already have the other.

24 September, 2009

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Hmm, I think this is a minty fougere rather than a marine fougere... Cool and fresh, yes, but there's nothing obviously marine about it, nothing salty or smelly like the sea. It reminds me a bit of L'Artisan's discontinued L'eau de Caporal which I tried recently. Neither mint nor citrus are listed among the notes, yet I think I feel both. Maybe it's a minty/citrusy geranium oil, maybe it's the notes making up the "sea freshness" accord. I certainly wouldn't mind if I smelled this on a gentleman, but it's nothing I feel very strongly about wearing myself.

01st May, 2009

AnthonyDG's avatar

A little too fruity and not aquatic enough for me.. certainly nothing like Erolfa.. and NOTHING like Millesime Imperial or GIT. Bvlgari Aqva is another worth mentioning when it comes to marine/aquatics.

I didn't enjoy wearing it - it didn't develop on my skin and I had the feeling it was a bit too feminine for my tastes. Fruit punch maybe?

A nice fragrance, just not my bag.

23 April, 2009

genvy5's avatar

Smells exactly like Adidas Moves 0:01. Fougere. Not briny enough to be called marine.

01st February, 2009

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Very good aromatic fougère with a decent amount of sillage and moderate longevity. Nice boddle concept with that cute splint to prevent the can from leaking. Quite affordable for a niche too. All in all a clear thumps ub. But where's the sea?

16 January, 2009

hollyc's avatar

Starts out very ozonic, but not like fragrances of lesser quality. I usually run screaming from ozone scents as being thin, watery and synthetic. Not Montale! This is a real beauty opening with the smell of a fresh ocean breezes that gently play over fields of fresh, soft ferns. Musk? Sandalwood? are they there as well? Seem to be and provide and soft fragrant base to the clean, fresh breezes that blow just above them. Love, must possess, good for either a man or a woman. Want to throw in a plug for Aromatic Lime as well, spectacular!!! Try the Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver for best prices.

12 December, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

This is the second niche perfume in a row that smells very similar to other mainstream scents? I agree with the Tommy comparisons. It's sorta/kinda/almost like Cool Water but it's not as aromatic. FM is a very pleasant offering in the fougere class. I was hoping for more of a salty-style marine fragrance in the style of Bulgari Aqua Marine but you can't win them all but it's slightly salted, like those peanuts you find at the grocers. Marine here seem to mean more like what imagery the sea gives people and not what it smells like. Distilled down to my two words: fruity green.

05 December, 2008

lizzie_j's avatar

Breathtaking. I really can't add much to the other reviews, but because I found this scent quite by accident (it was in a large purchase of samples on eBay) I'm so delighted that I love it! Sea spray, salt air, gulls crying above--this is a delightful hardy marine scent. I picture a cool Fall day, bright and sunny, the sky as blue as cornflowers, and I'm on a boat fishing. The wind is off the land, bringing with it an herbaceous, scrubby accord. Every breath I take is fresh and invigorating. Suuhhhweeeet!

16 August, 2008

jenson's avatar

India India

Fougeres Marine: it's pretty clear that Montale had GIT as an "inspiration" for this one. im not atall indicating this smells alike but, one cant help but think that hey, this is such a nice interpretation of GIT. this is obviously done in a very Montale way..

Inspite of having Erolfa and GIT, I would still buy this gem coz it doesnt smell like any of those. there is a very cool mineral water feel to it.. like clean transparent approach...as if this is what silver mountain water should have actually smelled.. it doesnt exactly remind me of the sea..ocean breeze..hmmm well.. i cudnt picture it. im surprised by how underrated this gem is. this ones clean, fresh, out of the shower kinds with a very interesting interplay of notes to keep you busy all the way till it ends. this one is a definite must buy for me.

07 August, 2008

scentsitivity's avatar

I find two contrasting themes in the opening. Fougère fern-like spiciness dominates the opening, but marine elements lurk in the background. To me, I want the spiciness to move aside so I can get a better grasp of the marine notes. They do diminish and when that happens they reveal one of the most interesting marine accords I have smelled, hinted with musk and very well done (most marine accords are so-so to me, but not the one here in Fougères Marines). Recommended.

02 July, 2008

KiatBkk's avatar

Thailand Thailand

God I swear I get a strong hint of Tommy Boy and Dunhill D in it. But Fougères Marines is superior in terms of quality and longevity.

30th June, 2008

faatay4's avatar

a salty sea breeze,ahhhhh. very very nice

06 April, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

Stardust it is, with just a nod of the head in GIT's general direction.

Fan of Llewellyn but don't want to pay the price? Snag a bottle of Fougères Marines and spritz away!

16 January, 2008

rach2jlc's avatar

I'll admit that at first I was hoping for something with a little more kick (my two favorite Montales hitherto have been Chypre Vanille and Greyland), but the more I'm around Fougeres Marines, the more I appreciate it and what it tries to do.

It's very classy and very much in line with the name. If Marine scents with a hint of fougeres weren't everywhere in the market these days, it might be a little more desirable, but overall this one feels very much like an expensive, natural version of many designer scents (or, perhaps like if Creed took a hand at remaking Tommy).

Spending some time with it, though, there's a lot going on and the little hints of salt and seaweed help keep it from being TOO "clean."

Nevertheless, for the price, it doesn't really hold up and I'd still recommend Erolfa or GIT before this one. For $135, there needs to be something remarkable to the combination that this one lacks. Many Montale's have this (not just the Aoud scents, but the regular line as well), but this one plays it all just a hint too safe.

But, if you've been searching for a classy, well-made, very long lasting scent (longevity with the EdP strength is great) that is conventional without being too weird, then this could be a great choice.

22 November, 2007

theLateDoctor's avatar

It wasn't until I got Fougeres Marines home from the Perfume Shoppe and lay down a full spritz that it hit me how much I was reminded of the lead Creed, Green Irish Tweed. The similarity turned out to be only in passing however, as after a couple of days comparing GIT on my left to FM on my right, the differences became fairly clear. Although I do get a bit of a salty note from both scents, Fougeres Marine takes me right out to sea while Green Irish Tweed is decidedly landlocked, perhaps a lighthouse on some windy western shore, shining its beam in vain for Fougeres Marines who shall remain forever out among the waves.

20th July, 2007

Griff's avatar

A near dead ringer for Stardust (the mens cologne by Llewylln). FM is a tad more linear in the drydown. It doesn't change. Stardust is out of production and almost never shows up on line. Like Stardust? Fougeres Marines is a worthy substitute.

Griff

17 July, 2007

lex's avatar

a salty marine breeze.ahhhh, very nicewith a touch of seaweed to keep it from being too clean. a must try.

19 February, 2007

Markinlondon's avatar

I think most people find this familiar, Think Tommy. The original. Very similar, however more depth in this with the geranium and musk. I am a big fan, next on my purchase list. Lasts for hours, an exceptional fragrance.

30th August, 2006

flee's avatar

Wow! This has the ability to stop people in their tracks, impress women and watch their eyes roll to the back of their heads. Fougeres marine is a salty marine scent. Many compare this to creeds green irish tweed and to coolwater. I love it

28 July, 2006