Negative Reviews of Fougères Marines by Montale

Find out more about Fougères Marines by Montale in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

I can’t decide which is more trite: the Cool Water-inspired fruity fougère accord at Fougères Marines’ core, or the walloping dose of Calone that comprises the “marine” element. In any case, I see no reason to pay niche perfumery prices for ideas that were passé in the last century.

14 June, 2014

jbordeau's avatar

Yes, it's kind of Tommy, kind of Baldessarini, boldly unoriginal

I sort of like the way this fragrance smells, but it's rather strong in an uninviting way. Harshness is not the way to get my attention. After a while I realized it has much of the base of Baldessarini but without the fruit that makes that one delicious. It has the tenacity of Tommy and all its charm (or lack thereof). I feel I've smelled this already a hundred times on every kind of man. At this price point, the lack of anything interesting is criminal. I love the bottle though; not to be commended otherwise.

Pros: smells pretty good
    Cons: fairly nondescript for this premium price

01st July, 2013

alfarom's avatar

I won't spend many words on this one. Simply awful. It reminded me of Walmart room fragrances or super discounted teenagers perfumes. Thumbs Down, definitely!

05 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

Oh, yes, something about Fougère Marine is very familiar. It is neither Green Irish Tweed nor Cool Water, but can’t place it and I’ve been going through my samples for ten days now—I’ve given up. Fougère Marine has an exceptional fougere opening of lavender and green—fern, I would imagine. It is clean and refreshing, bright and uplifting. But that is about the extent of everything I get out of this fragrance. To my nose it doesn’t change much from the opening through the middle notes—it just gets less intense. The fougere part of the fragrance comes through clearly and strong, but I don’t get very much of the marine notes that others mention. I certainly don’t get much of a drydown; the whole fragrance disappears on me within two hours. I just don’t connect very much with this one…

Originally submitted 24 May 2007

04 December, 2010

genvy5's avatar

Smells exactly like Adidas Moves 0:01. Fougere. Not briny enough to be called marine.

01st February, 2009