Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Stardate 20180529:

Orange bitters, pepper and IsoE.
Liked it a lot when I was new but I find that I don't wear it anymore. It reminds me a the roach spray and that sort of killed it for me.
A nice fragrance otherwise and lasts long.
29th May, 2018
I'm not a fan of fragrance but I really like design of the bottle.

So, kudos to the bottle designer from me.
27th May, 2018
Let me in a chemistry lab and i'll do my best to produce a fragrance close to this one. I'll randomly mix some substances and then i'll add benzoin and some orange+lime juices on this cocktail.

On the top of my "masterpiece" i'll add some Raid spray foam against crawling insects.

So my perfume is done and i can name it Terre d'Hermès Clone.

How in the world Terre d'Hermès is classified as a perfume?
23rd May, 2018

This is a really nice dirty orange fragrance with main notes of orange, black pepper and vetiver. Unfortunately it only lasts a memory on my skin due to the Iso-e-Super in it (a note which I'm anosmic to). But not everyone is anosmic to Iso-e so it may work better on you. I will try the EDP version and see if it fares better for me, or perhaps one of its clones like Yardley Citrus and Wood or D.R. Harris Windsor. Overall incredible scent, not so great performance on me.

06th May, 2018 (last edited: 08th May, 2018)
10is Show all reviews
Without a doubt a modern classic! Terre opens with wet vetiver and citrus, before hitting you with pepper and drying down to a woody and ever-so-slightly sweet base. I cannot count the number of times I have smelt this walking down the street in a crowded city like New York (on other people), so I can only assume this is what it would project like on myself.

Rating: 10/10
02nd May, 2018
JohnL4 Show all reviews
Somebody else called it "resin-y", I think, and I can see that. I myself think of (as the hours go by) as weirdly reminiscent of eucalyptus and maybe menthol, which sounds awful and doesn't match what others say. It's like an olfactory illusion.

It's rich and citrus-y and a little heavy and has kind of a "punch" compared to what I usually wear (Kenneth Cole Mankind, Guerlain Vetiver, if I can spell it right). It's also got a little sharp/bitter/musky smell as it dries down. Maybe that's where the eucalyptus is coming from? I know I'm not using the right language at all.

Still trying to decide whether I like it enough for the price. I just have a little spray sample vial right now.
24th February, 2018 (last edited: 21st July, 2018)
TeeEm Show all reviews
For me this perfume is headturning and I simply love it
This is in my top 10 of all time
My rating 10/10
05th January, 2018
I'll echo what one reviewer said about this having a similar fragrance to the Colorado Rockies. I think that sums it up well. A lovely scent.

However, I'm not getting great performance from this either in sillage or longevity. I have the parfum. Its requiring about 4-6 sprays for minimum desired effect, and I hate over spraying. Lasts about 2-4 hours on my skin.

4/5 stars from me. Recommended with reservations.

30th November, 2017
Like seemingly many others who now love it I wasn't really a fan of Terre d'Hermes on first wearings. Or I should say: I respected it a lot but thought it wasn't for me. Times really change! But make no mistake about it, like basically anything that is different, it's not for everyone.

It has this very unique ability to blend both dirty and clean at the same time in a tremendous but unusual way. And it's the first part that can be too much or disliked by some people. It's a yes dirty, earthy even mineral, warm (and lightly smoky), peppery mix of zesty orange peels with a natural feel, like many Hermes' have, with some grapefruit to make it brighter and sharper. The prominent base is very woody and a bit resinous. Vetiver and some cedar share the main spotlight with the earthy citrus. The fragrance also has an aromatic facet, with geranium, which makes it really a 4 seasons one to me as a nice bonus. But the first one coming to my mind when I wear it is clearly Fall. And it has an outdoorsy vibe to it actually.

It is a mature, serious scent while not smelling dated to my nose. One for a classy, confident man with a strong character. So if you're looking for a playful, young fragrance, you are looking the wrong way here. It's a fantastic amalgam of classic, masculine and old school perfumery with the new age of contemporary clean citrus based fragrances. Put all that together and you have my all time favorite fragrance in the thousands I've tried.

Jean-Claude Ellena created a masterful liquid piece of art with Terre d'Hermes and an absolute classic. Brillant!
11th November, 2017
What kind of "terre" could this be? Perhaps a parched, uninhabited island: some dusty rocks, dry sandy soil, a few juiceless laurel shrubs blown by a hot wind. A stunted orange tree. A few spent gun cartridges lying in the dirt under a burning sun. No living creatures to be found -- at least nothing with blood in its veins. Pristine.
15th September, 2017
Turn in the road by Paul Cezanne 1881
01st September, 2017
So this is the second day that I put a cologne on and could tell it was fading as soon as I put it on. I'm beginning to think that the store that I'm buying these samples from his either watering these perfumes down for, or, the perfume houses understand that Americans want the idea of putting clothes on but are so afraid of being offensive that the manufactures have got the juice down to where you'll only smell them 30 minutes after you put them on. So I dumped the entire 1 mL sample on my head (I usually put cologne on the back of my head/neck) Easily the worst experience of all the samples that I've tried so far. This one was disappearing before I got out of the locker room. It's got some nice notes I can smell the Cedar and lime. I can smell the notes that I like. However it's gone off. Longevity poor projection worse than poor

Edit. So after an entire day wearing this I may have changed my mind. It is now over 12 hrs later and I still sense it. Other reviewers said it was one dimensional, I agree, there isn't so much notes as note, but it is there all day. I'm not sure if it is because I have never used pure perfume before, because I swear there was nothing there when I put it on, but as I wore it, it settled into, I dunno, citrus? Grapefruit? My girlfriend has to be in my personal space i.e. Kissing me to smell it. She said she likes it, but doesn't love it. I'm going to try the edt and order another edp just to see if there is a there there
15th July, 2017
What a wonderful, mature and classy fragrance. 'Terre D' Hermes' by Hermes is a great scent for the spring, summer and even fall months, with superb performance.

Initial blast is oranges and vetiver, with a hint of cedarwood. A hint of pepper and what seems to be floral notes are also detected. As it dries down and settles, the vetiver and orange really stay fairly prominent, layered over what is undoubtedly cedarwood and a bit of patchouli note.

The base is mainly vetiver and cedarwood, and surprisingly the orange top note carries itself mildly all the way through the life of the fragrance. It smells very nice, an expensive and distinguished smell that is very likable but definitely for the 30+ man who dresses to impress and is well spoken.

Longevity with a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, chest and wrists) is about 10-12+ hours, and at least a week or two on clothes and fabrics. The projection is steady, and sillage is good and never cloying or headache inducing. Very safe for work, close encounters and professional engagements.

This is a perfect signature fragrance for the professional man over thirty years of age who dresses well, speaks articulately and wants a scent that can be worn in any season and at any occasion.
17th June, 2017

Just could not get into this. From reading the reviews I feel like I was wearing a completely different fragrance than everyone else. Silage is good. Longevity was around 10 hours. Just too bad that this wasn't for me.
15th June, 2017
I remember smelling this when it first came out and immediatly throwing away the blotter because of the harsh opening. Ten years later I sprayed a second blotter with the EDT and this time I was mesmerized by it. The raw earthiness and maturity it evoked won me over big time. Without further testing I found my self picking up a 50 ml bottle and used most of it during that fall.

By the time winter arrived I started wearing it less and less. At first I could not explain why, since it got me several compliments here and there. I had no problems with the performance. It has both stellar longevity and sillage. I remember spraying myself and leaving the house and hours later when I got back, my parents told me the smell lingered in the room for a while after I've been gone. And then it hit me.

One day, during the drydown, I started feeling nauseated. I did some research and I guess I have to blame the Iso-E Super for the headaches.
I read lots of similar reactions by people describing somewhat of a chemical smell that made them feel nauseus. I cannot be certain if it's the Iso-E Super or not but I am certain that this is not a scent I want to repurchase. I can understand why some people love it, it is truly very versatile and unique, it has great performance, it's an all season friendly scent and definitely signature worthy. Seems to tick all the right boxes, but alas this is not for me.

Maybe in the future I'll give the EDP a chance, but right now I feel that I really need to distance my self from the Terre D'Hermes DNA and let time decide if it's one that I'll want to have again in my wardrobe.
06th June, 2017
Terre d'Hermes opens with a short blast of semi-sweet citrus and bright, freshly-sanded cedar. Very quickly, the citrus retreats into the background and the cedar, prominent but suddenly mellowed and aged - is joined with earthy moss and maybe just a tiny hint of musty mildew. It reminds me of rainy fall days spent at my family's cottage in the mountains. This will definitely be in my fall/winter rotation.
09th May, 2017
Ticks all the boxes.The only fragrance I smelled on another man and had to go out of my way to ask what it was. I was literraly blown away all those years ago! My most complimented fragrance ever. Smell expensive and classy. Goes great with a suit. Makes you feel at the top of your game. Nothing more to say.
02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 09th June, 2018)
I feel like this is a really unique scent beyond my ability to describe in any helpful way. I smelled the orange, the gunflint and the vetiver. It's elemental, earthy.

The more I smelled this and wore it, the more I liked it and came to appreciate its quality.

If you're like me and you expect your scents to last, this one gets you through a whole day easily. Really terrific longevity for me.

It's very unique IMO, but not something I imagine women falling over themselves to smell.

However, this one gets a 10 from me.

30th April, 2017
Stopped in for a tie, left switching from a tie connoisseur to a fragrance aficionado. The Hermes employee had opened up the world of fine fragrance to me with Terre. When I smelled it all I could think of was just how high class it smelled, as if I were in a very nice house with the finest woodwork you could imagine and it was giving off a citrus vibe after just being cleaned, and that is why this is my signature fragrance, that and a bundle of memories that go with it!
25th April, 2017
I'll be honest. This type of scent is not my favorite - I'm not really a fan of the more earthy, woody, or for that matter, aquatic/blue sort of scents though that last one doesn't apply as much here.

But having said that, I don't always like to stay inside my box and as I'm on a fun journey to try as many great fragrances as I can, I enjoy trying ones with great reviews, even if the notes aren't my usual thing (my usual thing, incidentally being variations on the theme of Oriental, whether it be oriental spicy or fragrances that are quite fruity and/or floral).

But anyway, I thought this was very good! Despite my resistance to these sort of scents, I was able to appreciate this one's clean and pure freshness. And I agree with those that said it smells "expensive" and "classy".

However, I didn't find it had that much projection or great staying power with me. I tried the EDT. I would be curious to try the EDP. I mean, it wasn't bad for a couple of hours, but then it became much more subtle or as my co-worker described it - "mild".

Overall, probably too "mild" for me to fall in love with, but a nice, likable and safe scent overall, and good for spring.
19th April, 2017
I get largely orange and cedar. An award winner, it's nicely done with good power, projection and longevity. It's spendy; but, not outrageously so, IMO. It works for me; however, probably wouldn't at a higher price point.
07th March, 2017
OK, i was so excited about all the positive review here on basenote and decided to order 50ml EDT. I just hope i can get a pleasant scent like Bvl marine, Issey Miyake pour home (I'm a blind buy guy). But no, from the first sniff it disappointed me. It smells like lemon soaked in water for a long time with salt. I don't understand why people like this. REALLY, YOU SHOULD SAMPLE IT BEFORE BUY. BIG THUMBS DOWN.
28th January, 2017
Sorry, but its smog to me. The ISO E seeps through horribly. I concur with emberfly's evaluation. TDH has a quite unique fragrance throughout, unmistakable. But it is unfriendly. It's uptight. " It just really isn't pleasant; I don't get it. It doesn't smell BAD, but it detracts from a person's presence, in my opinion. It's not a positive attribute, to wear this fragrance." It would be a great fragrance for an attorney to wear in chambers or with opposing counsel. It is intimidating. It does not befriend. I'd pick it as the House Fragrance for the IRS. Smog.
25th December, 2016 (last edited: 26th December, 2016)
To me, perhaps because of reformulation, this smells fresh, inoffensive, and is quite weak. Good thing I got the big bottle, as extra sprays are needed.

Clean laundry with a hint of orange. I like it, but it isn't amazing. I wish I had the original.
17th November, 2016
Very distinct in the opening, comes out with razor sharp pepper in combination with flower and wood.
It gets more flowery and citrus-zesty as it dries down.
It stays clean, sharp and woody, very masculine .
This cologne would in my opinion be perfect for the 40+ aged man in suit and tie.If moderately applied it would be OK to use in the office .Perfect for formal occasions.
The longevity is very good , and projection is great.
Quality stuff, definately on my top 10 list.

But hey, somehow i smell hyacinth in this , especially in the opening.Am I the only one?

03rd November, 2016
My biggest compliment getter so far.
This is fresh, long lasting, dirty, stimulating and I haven't smelled anything quite like it in my relatively short time exploring fragrances.
People have complimented the vetiver note in the dry down and my wife has definitely picked up the pepper.
For me, the dominant notes are the flint and then the benzoin and cedarwood. The citrus opening for me is fleeting.
Great longevity and I can see myself wearing this all year round adjusting the sprays accordingly.
9/10.
02nd November, 2016
I get it. I finally tried TdH and I get why it's so talked about. It came in an order of samples that I based on positive BN reviews.

To me, the opening is spiced oranges and lemons. It seems both bitter and juicy, and the presence of peppers is fleeting but influential. It is much tamer than I expected, but it remains curious in spite of its understatedness. I suppose "subtle but interesting" fits perfectly.
the drydown is like the crunch of dry twigs under walking feet, undeniably evergreen. It reminds me of elemi, almost pickled in a way: peppercorns, peppers, and the back-end of citrus.
The kind of subtle, okay-in-an-elevator fragrance that is unlike anything I've ever smelled. Glad I followed suit!
06th October, 2016 (last edited: 05th October, 2016)
Terre D'Hermes
- Smells old, like an older man who goes to a very rigid or strict job/workplace that he doesn't particularly like. It doesn't smell pleasant or relaxed. It totally reminds me of an older man. Like I could see my father or a grandfather wearing this.

In terms of the actual scent, I'm not sure how to describe it. Terre is not a good description -- it doesn't smell earthy. It smells like cologne. Like when I envision what cologne smells like, this is it. Unpleasant, "masculine", a
bit weird. It just really isn't pleasant; I don't get it. It doesn't smell BAD, but it detracts from a person's presence, in my opinion. It's not a positive attribute, to wear this fragrance.

This fragrance is classified by others as "citrusy." I feel like this description isn't useful. Sure there is a slight citrus note to it, but that's not what characterizes this fragrance at all. I get a lot of really strong woody notes. I almost picture the inside of a cigar box. Perhaps rubbed with a bit of pinesol, but not too much, as it's mostly the wood you smell.

It's ultimately not a fragrance that I like AT ALL.

In summary, this fragrance might suit a very uptight old man (60+) who never smiles or enjoys life. That characterizes this fragrance well. It is not for the young, it is not for the joyful. It is for some old high ranking military official or government official. It smells very stiff and uptight. Certainly unpleasant.
30th September, 2016
This is a fantastic fragrance and used to be my go-to every time. Over the production years, however, it has become slightly weaker in strength and now has a much 'fresher' and less 'earthier' smell than it used to have.
It is still, however, a beautiful scent that attracts many comments and should still be a staple in every man's cabinet.
12th September, 2016
Whoopee, yet another TdH review. I can understand how some might find this fragrance off-putting -- it's quite assertive at the start, especially if applied too liberally. But I'm definitely in the camp that finds its spiced orange opening, as well as the fresh-cut cedar and underlying note of vetiver that soon come to the fore, to be not just attractive but nearly addictive. Because it is a forceful scent I'll admit I do use it judiciously, but a little seems to go a long way.
08th September, 2016