Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Find out more about Terre d'Hermès by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

The first thing I notice in Terre d'Hermes is vetiver, tempered with a very light touch of citrus. Dry woody notes soon follow, and I think that these, in combination with the vetiver, create the "earthy" or "soil" accord so often noted in this scent.

The woods and vetiver stay very much front and center, rounded out by some very discreet floral notes. I get an occasional whiff of spice and incense, especially in the remarkably pronounced sillage. There is also an unusual note that suggests ash. Not tobacco ash, and not smoke, but old, cold ash, as from a long abandoned fireplace. The drydown reveals quite a bit of conifer, which melds with the vetiver in a lingering "forest" accord that I find quite pleasant.

I place Terre d'Hermes as a cumin-free, vetiver-seasoned derivative of Elléna’s earlier Déclaration. Terre d’Hermès is every bit as dry as Déclaration, but it’s also a cleaner, less angular, and less aggressive scent, which may account for its great popularity. It’s still a somewhat austere fragrance, though very easy to wear and very unlikely to offend. For this reason I could see it as a really fine business or office scent. A perfectly good, if not a terribly exciting fragrance, and certainly nothing that I have to own.

05 July, 2014

bFlay's avatar

A mostly "nice enough" fragrance that isn't worth the hype and accolades or the premium price point. Opens with a nice, but very common, pure orange oil note. This softens to a watery, mineral vibe that is somewhat unique...but only a little. Dry down presents very light, almost ephemeral peppery floral heart. I really don't get much cedar or patchouli. I think those notes should be bold and unequivocal. They are not in TERRE d'HERMES. Very minimal projection...undiscernable from 10 feet away. This isn't bad at all, just doesn't make much of a statement...

13 June, 2014

Captain's avatar

Unapologetic uber wood, pungent, bright with a touch of bitterness. Is there a slight sulphur feel or is that just the power of suggestion? I feel something off kilter and unique which keeps it firmly out of the main stream. There’s a reason this is a love or hate fragrance, for sure. It leaves a mostly cedar dry down that lasts at least 6 hours. If only Eau des Merveilles lasted this long!

03 June, 2014

EmeraldSkye's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The first time I ever smelled Terre d'Hermes was on an airplane. My husband sat down next to me, and after a minute or two I started sniffing the air. "What is that smell?" It was everywhere and nowhere, elusive and pervasive. I couldn't trace it to him, and he only shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. I tried something at the tax free store, maybe that's it?" He said it was Terre d'Hermes, but I dismissed it as this smell was nothing like "terre"(earth). It was as unearthly as possible, more like ocean and sky, oxygen and ozone. Having finally tried it myself back home, I had to admit that this misnamed marvel was in fact what I had first sensed on the plane. Now, several years later, my son wears it as his signature scent, and I still react the same way. Sniffing the air I ask: "What is that, where does it come from?" and then: "Oh...".

So how about the "terre"? Well, perhaps wet earth. The feeling you get deep into a forest after the rain, wet pine needles, wet moss. Or else, what I really feel: sky over ocean, nothing but air and space and water and something undefinable. Everywhere and nowhere.

31st May, 2014

D_Dar's avatar

This starts off with a great citrus top note, sort of like a very "mature" orange. (By "mature" I mean bitter orange.) This phase lasts for a nice period of time and is modified by some pepper and pelargonium notes, citrus still present for me in the middle notes. There is a strong presence of a mineral-ish note all throughout the top and middle notes (Flint maybe / slate-y smell)...As the fragrance evolves it become drier and a bit earthier with a nice bit of cedar and very tiny hint of patchouli.

I have been using this for 3 years now and is my olfactory signature now... It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, highly non-conformist and individualistic. and in my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser so if you're looking for a "acqua di gio" kinda thing... this probably isn't for you....

Longevity is massive... 10-12 hours on my skin and projection is really really good (without being overpowering)... but definitely sample some before you buy it... especially considering how expensive it is...

26 May, 2014

govindbn's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I bought this perfume mainly because of the hype and also since I like fresh/lemony/citrusy fragrances. They tend to work well in an office environment. I get the earthy orange accord and nothing else.
    On my skin, longevity sucks. Projection & sillage aren't wonderful either.
    It doesn't get a thumbs down because I don't think its a bad fragrance.

11th May, 2014

neeorg's avatar

England England

An elegant & sophisticated scent, one that has yet to be spoiled by it being worn by the masses. It's spillage is very good, longevity isn't brilliant but is far better than the majority of Hermes collection.

04 May, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

In its form its not a bad fragrance, the idea is great.

Like peeling an grapefruit at the beach after a swim on a hot day while a fresh breeze gently dries your towel on the hot sand and your wet t-shirt thats sweating on one of those big, really hot rocks...

If only Ellena had put in more time and natural stuff to really give this scent a living vibe, this would have been great.

Instead, for me, that synthetic grapefruit-note is too bold and crude and goes on and on, and cant seem to settle down with the dry notes, cederwood, in this perfume. A typical overdosed iso e super perfume that so many of us are addicted to nowadays, so its no wonder it sells good.

This interacts better with the fabric of a cotton t-shirt than on (my) human skin.

23 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2014)

ClarkScent's avatar

You can make this scent on your own. Get a orange, fill it with gun powder. Light it, then pick up the pieces and dab them on your body. All joking aside, this to me is what a fragrance is even made for. Exudes such a different feel to me and every time I put it on I know if I felt like it, I could rule the world.

30th March, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

For me this is one of the best mass-market fragrances for men of the last decade. Elegant and safe, but still memorable. I never got the "earth" concept since this smells of orange, vetiver and pepper, but still it's a perfectly rich, round, clean and all-year/personality/situation-round scent.

10th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

pandaKrusher's avatar

What more can be said? Even the negative reviews hint at something epochal - do you really want to miss out?

I believe Terre d'Hermès is the legend for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Go home and get a nice quiet sleep.

17 February, 2014

JCC's avatar

Wow, I couldn’t understand the negative reviews of this stuff considering how people raved about it. I get it now though. I have a novice nose for fragrances but all I get out of this is rancid orange zest, and a grassy pickle smell. I was really looking forward to this stuff after reading the reviews but my reaction to my first smell of this stuff reminded me of trying red wine for the first time thinking it will taste similar to grape juice.

However, it goes to show you how much people’s taste vary though as I let a female friend smell it and she liked it quite a bit.

Going neutral on this only because the lady liked it.

04 February, 2014

montagne's avatar

I find it unnecessary to add this to my collection, since I already have Swarfega Orange heavy duty hand cleanser, which I keep in the garage for getting the grime off my hands after working on the car. The Swarfega smells almost identical, but is a higher quality product, with a less synthetic smell, although with (perhaps mercifully) lesser longevity and projection.

It's the signature smell of Luton Airport duty free. You cannot get to the malt whisky section without being intercepted by well-meaning assistants, intent on scent-marking you with this brash fluid . Like Heracles raiding the apples of the Hesperides, you must at all costs bypass these nymphs, or you will stink like a janitor's cupboard.

29 January, 2014

LoveCologne89's avatar

First up...Hello to all my new mates on base notes this is my first review thought id do it on a cologne I love. And by love I truly mean I love terre'd'hermes. It may not be a complex cologne but a rather unique one at that definitely has a nice opening of orange but dries down to what I can only describe as the most smokiest earthiest musky that definitely attracts women. Great sillage, smells wonderful on my skin. Funny thing bout terre'd'hermes is to some it's a cologne u may have to smells twice my first bottle was a gift and first smell was impressed second time but...loved it! One of my personal favourites.

27 January, 2014

dark's avatar

A fan of citrus and wood, I was eager to try this one based upon the reviews here. Even the negative reviews intrigued me. "An old shoe grinding a baby aspirin into a gravel road." (Cedarmoth) How cool is that?

Yikes.

This one smelled pretty good on the test strip, so I took a spray on each wrist. The opening blast of pepper was appealing, if a little overpowering. I did not detect citrus in this fragrance at all (unless the odor of rotting orange peels which appeared later counts.)

After about ten minutes, this fragrance became wildly unappealing and stayed that way. For days. (I got a little on the sleeve of my jacket and watch strap, where it's still going strong. More than a week later! The test strip, strangely, still smells reasonably good.)

This one is difficult to characterize. To me, it is very linear and smells like roasted red peppers fermented in fabric softener (with plenty of expensive ground pepper) and then left out on the sidewalk in the sun to dry.

I know I am in the minority on this one, but I strongly recommend that you test it before you buy (and avoid getting any on your clothes!)

24 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2014)

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Today it is 92 degrees here in Miami and I am wearing Terre d'Hermes. I am very happy I made this choice today because I love the way I smell. The orange, vetiver, pepper and other citruses come together beautifully. The heat of the day brings out those notes and I feel fresh and clean. This fragrance is perfect for day and night time wear during the summer months. I think it can also be worn in the fall. I have gotten many compliments from co-workers.

23 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2014)

randydjack's avatar

Have a pet? A rabbit. Let's go with rabbit.

Alright, walk with tangerine in hand to cage of said rabbit, and place tangerine into cage.

Bottle this.

I personally love the smell. Cedar and citrus blended so that they aren't competing? That's actually...a fantastic idea, really! The title doth apply as well, terre it certainly is.

But the price point doesn't settle well with me at all. This isn't worth the tag, lads and lasses. Still a thumbs up on the whiff, not so much on the stiff.

20th January, 2014

Luxus's avatar

Chile Chile

Polarizing !

It's a scent that does not leave indifferent, innovative smell of synthetic orange, grapefruit and cedar in a positive way, but absolutely linear, there is no top, base or middle notes, it's like a single malt whisky, you love it or you hate it.

I perceive it as a fresh and masculine smell, could be an excellent signature scent, but maybe a bit boring due to the lack of development, it opens up as it dries down with great longevity - and it's a sillage monter, too.

Thumbs up for the creator of this very unique and original synthetic smell.

09 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2014)

Slug's avatar

Starts out with a nice orange blast that I really like. Unfortunately, after a couple hours on my skin it turns into a distinct vinyl smell exactly like an inflatable beach ball or raft. Really wanted to like it bu can't get past the plastic/vinyl smell it turns into.

21st December, 2013

Dactylus's avatar

When I received a sample of Terre d'Hermès I was all excited. I was excited until I put it on. It didn't smell bad. It just wasn't what I expected. My was said it was "okay", but didn't comment much after that. My daughter said it was "okay", but smelled like dirt. DIRT! Anyway, I tried it on for two for days and even though I'm still on the fence about it, every time I take a whiff of it I am liking it more and more.

18 November, 2013

Late-Hit's avatar

Just as a man is judged by his enemies as well as his friends, once in awhile you have to write about the things you don't like. This is one of them. Along with many of the other negative reviewers I cannot comprehend the popularity of Terre d'Hermes. To me it is simple, boring, and vaguely unpleasant.

Then something amazing happened. As I was thinking about this review, and scanning down through the 'Negatives' for inspiration and moral support, my EXACT word-for-word feelings about this bad-vibe orange thing with the dusty, flinty feel were staring back at me from 2006:

Cedarmoth: "An old shoe grinding a baby aspirin into a gravel road".

Like haiku, not one word can be added or taken away. I just wish I wrote it.

14 November, 2013

's avatar

Fantastic

Unique. Masculine. Top 3 in my collection.

Pros: Masterpiece
    Cons: A bit sharp in the first 10 minutes but turns amazing."

24 October, 2013

mercutio's avatar

Glad to have it in my collection.

Smells like rotting orange peels shoved in a cedar tree, but in a good way(go figure). It's longevity is excellent and it's projection is strong without being over-bearing. It's nice to think to yourself, "I just made that whole hallway smell fantastic."

Compliment magnet and a good addition to any ones collection.

Pros: Really well crafted, lasts all day
    Cons: Needed some time to grow on me"

07 September, 2013

ursalan's avatar

One of the best cologne i have ever had.

This is very unique and elegant with a little less longevity. A must have in a wardrobe.....

06 August, 2013

heiver's avatar

Relaxing confidence

In short it smells like ripe oranges squeezed to vetiver and pepper. Warm spices with the coolness of orange make a nice contrast. When I apply Terre I always think of a dessert with an orange tree, cracked soil, warm breeze, orange sky and vetiver plants around the tree. I am standing next to this tree when a ripe orange falls to the ground and breaks up, letting its orange juice pour into the cracks of the ground to mix with the vetiver roots. I love it.

Pros: quality, compliments, relaxing
    Cons: use sparingly and nothing"

02 August, 2013

tdwctdwc's avatar

Review by tdwctdwc

Nothing to add to what have been said about how magnificent this is. I wore this during a very special event/occurrence in my life and every time i wear it now , it reminds me of that time. Gorgeous vetiver, refreshing oranges and classy benzoin. Longevity and Sillage both great on my skin.
    Masterpiece.

28 July, 2013

gmstrack's avatar

Gateway Fragrance

This review is for the EDT. I’m not going to break down the notes or rate it. Yes, this is Jean-Claude Ellena’s mainstream fragrance packed full of ISO E super; it smells good, but lacks subtly and the trademark whimsical touch. Blah-de-blah-blah. I would recommend this to someone not really into fragrance. Basically, it could be a great gateway fragrance for people trying to convince their spouses to step over to the dark side and start a creepy perfume collecting hobby. It just might work—he said "It’s O.K." and tossed it into the neglected pile of samples next to his computer. Fingers crossed.

18 June, 2013

nyguy's avatar

I don't see the big deal..

I've tried this many times, I never understood why it stands out or sells so much. That bitter orange is repulsive and disgusting. This smells almost as bad as Guerlains Vetiver.

Pros: Nice leather/coffee aroma
    Cons: Bitter orange

23 May, 2013

anthonyrj's avatar

What happened to my signature scent?

I LOVE this fragrance...well at least I did until my most recent purchase from Nordstrom. I first purchased TDH back in 2009 and it quickly became my signature scent...I couldn't get enough of it, so recently, when my last bottle was almost empty, I ordered another bottle (as I mentioned before, from Nordstrom...an authorized retailer). This is NOT the same Terre d'Hermes that I've been wearing for 4 years. Either I got a fake (which would shock me) or this has been reformulated to a mere whisp of the original fragrance. Anytime I put TDH on before, I'd always sneeze after the initial spray because the juice was just that strong - a trade-off I was willing to make to have a fragrance that would simply NEVER wear off. I could smell this fragrance on myself all day long and still catch whiffs after showering. This new stuff I can barely smell right out of the bottle (okay, so that's a bit of an overstatment, but it is a seriously weaker fragrance). Don't get me wrong, it still smells good, but not only has it lost some of it's power, it's also lost some of it's depth (I'm not getting that minerally/flinty note I love and the vetiver in the drydown seems more...I'm not sure the word, but more 'watery'. I'm devastated...this was the first fragrance that I ever found that I loved enough to use as a signature scent (and I'm no young kid, so I'd been searching a while). Now it's back to the drawing board I guess. Suppose I'll either trade this for something else or sell it on eBay. It's a real shame.

Pros: Smells lovely
    Cons: Sillage, projection, longevity and depth have suffered in new formula

21st May, 2013

thines01's avatar

I'm giving this a Neutral rating because the response I got from this was all negative, but I still liked it.

I sprayed this on at the mall and sprayed it on paper.
    I liked the brash intensity of both sprays and the mental imagery this brings out.
    To me, it smells like the "Big Boss" who sits behind the large, unpolished desk hollering at someone for losing the "Johnson account" or like the actor, Simon Oakland (the boss in "The Night Stalker" (TV show)). Maybe it's what I imagine Frank Sutton (Sgt. Carter from "Gomer Pyle") would smell like when dressed in a suit.
    Anyway: All of the women in the store; my wife, my 17 y/o daughter and the two women behind the counter didn't like it. They HATED it at the bottle, on paper and on me. Hmmm...

12 May, 2013