Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d' Hermes I made into my signature scent.
I learned to love its smell of rotten oranges and grapefruits smoldering in a vinyl sack on a sunbaked, blistering rock while the wood is on fire, drenched in Iso E Super, the Mono-sodium glutamate of the perfume world.
LOL
12th July, 2015
I owned a sample, at first I wasn't too keen on TdH, but it grew on me. The scent of oranges is very prominent, more so than the grapefruit in my opinion. I've seen it being recommended for a summer scent because everyone assumes oranges and citrus are for summer. I disagree. This is a fragrance that performs substantially better as a fall/winter scent. The drydown is beautiful and you have to get up close to get a good smell of it. Best of all it lasts FOREVER on my clothes. You'll have to actually wash it get the drydown off. It's amazing.
I plan on purchasing this in the future.
29th June, 2015
Oviatt Show all reviews
I was so looking forward to the launch of Terre d'Hermes--the notes and the creative brief all sounded great and, even though I am not a fan of Jean-Claude Ellena's work, I had high hopes. On me, it just does not work. It is flinty/minerally, woody and vegetal but very synthetic smelling and just smells off to me. It smells unfinished and unfortunate. I have tried it several times but just cannot get on board with it. The ISO E Super that he uses so heavy-handedly does not work its magic the way Ellena thinks it does. Commercially, an enormous success and I am happy for Hermes, but I won't be one of its buyers.
10th June, 2015

Here we are in front of a concept of perfumery. Perhaps many people do not understand what I mean to say, but surely if the reader had the ability to use his nose as his ears he would understand this mystery.

There is a perfume, Eau Dynamisante (1987), whose Nose has created without any market scheme, and this one is a great work of Jacques Courtin.

Currently I can consider this scent more creative than 90% of Niche fragrances.

This fragrance introduces a new concept of unisex elegance! Magnificent, considering when it was launched, a link between past and future.
If this perfume were music it would play as the Elegy of Rachmaninov!

Using the same elegance accord after 7 years we have another masterpiece, L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme (1994) whose Nose, Jacques Cavallier, created with Japanese citron and mandarin playing with geranium and vetiver.

There are three ingredients really interesting, the ones which give originality to this perfume: cinnamon, verbena and sandalwood!

The character of this fragrance is certainly less pompous than the Clarins one, abandoning all connections with the past giving up the power of flowers.

If this fragrance were music would be a topic of Turandot by Giacomo Puccini shooting from Elegy of Rachmaninov.

Now we have a perfume by Hermes, ten years later! In this one we have only elegance without originality,Terre d'Hermès (2006). Here Jean-Claude Ellena used grapefruit and orange playing with geranium and vetiver.

There are three ingredients really interesting which trivialize this perfume: pepper, patchouli and benzoin.

If this perfume were music? It would be a child who is learning to play!

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

07th June, 2015
Salutation.

TDH is Identity HERMES fragrances. However i am not a fan this EDT but one thing is obvious,TDH is a GREAT and SPECIAL product. Bitter,Woody, Complex, Different and well balanced.

In my opinion It is a reality,A love it or hate it fragrance.It is citrusy at first.The middle/Base are Unusual as combined with Pelargonium,Pepper Cedar,Vetiver and Patchouli and creates an EARTHY MAGICAL on my skin.In fact TERRE is the perfect name for it.

Unfortunately Give me a headache but is still a respectable fragrance for me.It is suitable for AUTUMN and SPRING if you are in the right mood.If you are looking for something different in your collection then you can like this but test before you buy!

SIllage&Longevity?The best part TDH for me as are EXCELLENT.

7.25/10
24th May, 2015
I have only a sample. This is fresh and clean grapefruit scent. I don't get much woody . This is too fresh ,light and grapefruit for me.
There is something like dill which I don't like much. This is compared to Guerlain l'eau Boisee , which I don't understand. This far more lighter , more citrus and not so woody than Boisee. I would not buy whole bottle of this. 7/10 .
21st May, 2015
Citrus, pepper, salt, rocks drying in the sun, dry wood and warm skin. In that order. An enduring favorite.

Do we need another view of TDH? Probably not, but I will say, as a woman, that every time I wear this in public, I get compliments — from women. One neighbor fell so hard for it, that I gave her a mini and a decant. So sexy, cheerful, uplifting, and IMO, genderless. (In fact, I was surprised/disappointed that it's marketed as a men's fragrance.)
15th May, 2015
To my nose, Terre d'Hermes opens with a sharp, refreshing blast of cedar, and then settles down to a musky orange. If there are other notes, I can't detect them. Excellent projection and longevity. By no means a bad scent, but not my cup of tea, and not worth the premium. Once the cedar note fades, it smells much like Pinaud's Citrus Musk, available in drugstores ($10 for a 12 oz bottle).
29th April, 2015
There's not really much I can add to the conversation about Terre D'Hermes except to add another positive review, because to me this isn't a four. This should be a 4.5 at minimum, but to me it is a five--a perfect 10.

This fragrance is gorgeous and delicious. It is crisp, clean, fresh, and warm. It also has great projection and longevity.

It does smell mostly just like oranges but with a lot more going on. I ordered a sample of this along with the eau tres fraiche, and I originally preferred the eau tres fraiche, but as they settled the original became the winner. It has a smokey darkness to it that really goes along well with orange citrus notes.

I find this to be on the other end of the spectrum of Creed Aventus--it's an Orange version of Aventus that is more smokey and warm than Aventus. I prefer this to Aventus and it won't put nearly as much of a dent in your wallet.

As far as projection and longevity, I dabbed a little on my forearm over 6 hours ago and I am still getting passing whiffs of it from time to time.

Terre D'Hermes is a winner all around. It should be in every collection.
06th April, 2015
Sorry I don't get the hype with this one. Sure it is a clean citrus based fragrance but doesn't jump out to me as being anything special. I'm glad I sampled it but I would rather spend my money on a fragrance that isn't so generic.
13th March, 2015
This was not a "love at first sight" by any means. Originally I detested what for me was a rotten oranges opening and a strong pungent vetiver/cedar accentuated by the black pepper drydown, but I started to like it more and more every time I wore it and now is one of my favorites.
Now to me the opening is not rotten oranges anymore, but more like over ripened oranges LOL, and the drydown seems less pungent LOL
Sillage is nuclear and longevity is one of the best in the industry.
08th March, 2015 (last edited: 11th March, 2015)
After seeing all the love from basenotes members about this I blind bought it about 3 years ago.

At the time I was too young to appreciate it's genius. I didn't wear it that often and it's taken 3 years for me to finish my first bottle. Now I'm older I can really appreciate this absolute masterpiece.

Strangely Terre d'Hermes smells better on other people. For me, 1 spray is overbearing and burns my nose which is the reason it took so long to finish the bottle. I have to spray anywhere apart from the neck. Projection and longevity are the best I've experienced from a fragrance that doesn't smell like old man.

It's definitely for the mature gentleman. Separating the men from the boys. Those under 25 might want to try this out before they buy. It's incredibly versatile but I consider it more of a day fragrance.

My girlfriend of 6 years wasn't a fan. She said it smelt of rotten oranges and preferred I wear Cool Water. It was from that moment I realised we weren't meant to be. We finished 1 week later.

Buy it, appreciate it and respect it.
28th February, 2015
What more can be said about TdH?

This is one of my top fragrances, and one of the very few that I could wear anytime of year, day or night and to any occaision without reservation. Probably one of the classiest "gentlemanly" fragrances I know.
25th February, 2015

I'm only familiar with the Parfum version, so the review is for that.

Terre d'Hermes was one of the first fragrance bottles that I owned, and sure enough I finished off 75 ml of it. This one has a refined orange note up top, backed up by woods and vetiver. A while after application a hard to place metallic vibe develops, a development I personally am not sure whether I liked or did not like. But the overall fragrance is still smooth, classy, refined, definitely modern in a good way and refreshing. Another great thing about this one is its versatility, though I'd say it's best on humid rainy days and afternoons.

Perhaps not Jean Claude Ellena's greatest achievement, but a highlight in his distinguished career. Recommended to try.
28th January, 2015
Love, love, love it!!! This is the first fragrance I've tried in at least a decade that I loved immediately and like more every time I wear it. The balance of fresh and "dirty", and the transition from the sparkly opening to the warm, sultry base is just spectacular. It smells like nothing else I've come across, and works really well with my skin.

I came across it while Christmas shopping one evening, and could still detect traces the next morning --- knew I had to have it, bu the prices were prohibitive. Fortunately I found an EdT mini with shower gel for less than $20 online, and it has joined the ranks of my top 5 favorites, along with Eau Sauvage, Guerlain's Vetiver, and Armani Pour Homme (the 5th spot rotates between Halston Z-14, Cacharel Pour Homme, Bijan, and Monsieur Balmain).

I believe Terre d'Hermes could become a modern classic. Can the era of bland aquatics be making way for bold and distinctive scents again? Bravissimo to Hermes and Jean-Claude Ellena!
16th January, 2015
On my skin, this started out very clearly citrus, a tart orange (tart presumably because of the grapefruit, but my nose didn’t detect the grapefruit specifically). Shortly after, for a brief time, I picked up a metallic/flint-like smell which was surprisingly pleasant (not usually my style) with a strong whiff of pepper. About 15 minutes later the pelargonium arrived with a “wow” factor that I really liked. At drydown, there was very faint patchouli and cedar, but the prominent lingering note at the base on my skin was the vetiver that strongly reminded me of lemon grass.

On me, this went on very strong and for the first several hours had fairly strong projection and moderate sillage. After about 4-5 hours it diminished to a mild projection with a drop in sillage, and by about 6-7 hours was a strong skin scent on me. However, even 15 hours after applying this, it is still a skin scent on my wrists, chest and shirt.

The initial blast out of the bottle was a bit overwhelming, but my patience paid off at the drydown, which I absolutely love. I would be comfortable wearing this year-round, and would wear it to the office. I would probably use this more as a day fragrance since I tend to prefer heavier scents at night. I found Terre d’Hermes to be a very sexy, masculine and seductive fragrance, and if I smelled this on a man I would definitely notice him. This could quickly become a new favorite.

As always, your results may vary!
23rd December, 2014 (last edited: 24th December, 2014)
Trying Terre d’Hermes for the first time.

On me, this went on very strong and for the first several hours had fairly strong projection and moderate sillage. After about 4-5 hours it diminished to a mild projection with a drop in sillage, and by about 6-7 hours was a strong skin scent on me. However, even 15 hours after applying this, it is still a skin scent on my wrists and chest, and lingers on my shirt.

As always, your results may vary!
20th December, 2014
I don't want to wear this. I might like it on someone else, but on me it's really strong, and it chokes me out. I don't really like it. When I bury my nose in it , I'm a little put off by the smell. It's edgy. In my collection, I have two scents that give me the effect that I like in this one: Platinum Egoiste and ADG Essenza. Those have a sharp edge to my nose, and they're plenty. Terre d'Hermes takes it to another level, and I personally do not want to go there.
13th December, 2014
As original, and diffusive, masculine, and elegant as I find it, I can only enjoy it when other people wear it. I have tried it on myself and have had to endure a great discomfort for long hours due to the high amount of Patchouli which I find too heavy for me. Regardless, the combination of top qualities of Geranium, Patchouli and Vetiver in this fragrance makes it a modern classic and a masterpiece of a creation.
12th December, 2014
One of my favorites for years. It's like a citrus dirt road with the grapefruit, orange and gunflint. The vetiver and wood class it up. I'm running out of this one and will buy more.
23rd November, 2014
I love this stuff. Cedar, musty orange, cedar, powder, and did I mention cedar? It's spicy, but softly so. There's the reassuringly familiar scent of cedar, with a slight poke in the nose similar to what clary sage can bring, but only to brighten things up, not to start a fight.

Freshly sprayed, it's sparkling and exuberant. Afterwards, it's warm and dry, retaining its initial character, but with added depth. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

I feel good when I wear this. It's not overpowering, but it pops up here and there over time to remind me that it's still working its magic.

Having sampled the three varieties, I prefer the EdT to the EdP, while the Eau Très Fraîche might as well have a completely different name, so dissimilar is it to the original.

The additional products in the line share the same scent, making it easy to layer for greater longevity.

My current favorite.
02nd October, 2014
Despite all the positives I simply could not get along with this one.

I usually like a citrus fragrance, but this just made me feel a bit sick, I don't know what it was but it just didn't do it for me.

Unfortunately I tried this on myself instead of a test card at a Duty Free, and then had to sit with it for the entire flight.

Can't get on the bandwagon with this i'm afraid.
01st October, 2014
Terre d'Hermes -

This is a special fragrance, a modern powerhouse.

Ellena manages to infuse so many positive elements into this creation. The concept of experiencing the elements of earth, water and air is perhaps the most obvious. Terre certainly takes you through a transformation (metamorphosis) when wearing it.

It takes 'elements' that are very modern transparent and fuses them with those that are classic and permanent. The result is a fragrance that is equally sensitive, sophisticated and powerful.

You will feel intelligent when wearing Terre d'Hermes. And you WILL feel very powerful when wearing it. I can almost picture my inner 'stallion' bursting out when I spray Terre on my chest.

As such, it is not meant to seduce in the conventional way. It is not a sexy fragrance on its own. This one takes an already very confident, very intelligent person to wear to complete the effect it is intended for. This is why I only wear it for work and business, when I need all the confidence and focus I can muster.

a 9/10 for me.
24th September, 2014 (last edited: 04th November, 2014)
Genre: Woods

The first thing I notice in Terre d'Hermes is vetiver, tempered with a very light touch of citrus. Dry woody notes soon follow, and I think that these, in combination with the vetiver, create the "earthy" or "soil" accord so often noted in this scent.

The woods and vetiver stay very much front and center, rounded out by some very discreet floral notes. I get an occasional whiff of spice and incense, especially in the remarkably pronounced sillage. There is also an unusual note that suggests ash. Not tobacco ash, and not smoke, but old, cold ash, as from a long abandoned fireplace. The drydown reveals quite a bit of conifer, which melds with the vetiver in a lingering "forest" accord that I find quite pleasant.

I place Terre d'Hermes as a cumin-free, vetiver-seasoned derivative of Elléna’s earlier Déclaration. Terre d’Hermès is every bit as dry as Déclaration, but it’s also a cleaner, less angular, and less aggressive scent, which may account for its great popularity. It’s still a somewhat austere fragrance, though very easy to wear and very unlikely to offend. For this reason I could see it as a really fine business or office scent. A perfectly good, if not a terribly exciting fragrance, and certainly nothing that I have to own.
05th July, 2014
bFlay Show all reviews
A mostly "nice enough" fragrance that isn't worth the hype and accolades or the premium price point. Opens with a nice, but very common, pure orange oil note. This softens to a watery, mineral vibe that is somewhat unique...but only a little. Dry down presents very light, almost ephemeral peppery floral heart. I really don't get much cedar or patchouli. I think those notes should be bold and unequivocal. They are not in TERRE d'HERMES. Very minimal projection...undiscernable from 10 feet away. This isn't bad at all, just doesn't make much of a statement...
13th June, 2014
The first time I ever smelled Terre d'Hermes was on an airplane. My husband sat down next to me, and after a minute or two I started sniffing the air. "What is that smell?" It was everywhere and nowhere, elusive and pervasive. I couldn't trace it to him, and he only shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. I tried something at the tax free store, maybe that's it?" He said it was Terre d'Hermes, but I dismissed it as this smell was nothing like "terre"(earth). It was as unearthly as possible, more like ocean and sky, oxygen and ozone. Having finally tried it myself back home, I had to admit that this misnamed marvel was in fact what I had first sensed on the plane. Now, several years later, my son wears it as his signature scent, and I still react the same way. Sniffing the air I ask: "What is that, where does it come from?" and then: "Oh...".

So how about the "terre"? Well, perhaps wet earth. The feeling you get deep into a forest after the rain, wet pine needles, wet moss. Or else, what I really feel: sky over ocean, nothing but air and space and water and something undefinable. Everywhere and nowhere.
31st May, 2014
This starts off with a great citrus top note, sort of like a very "mature" orange. (By "mature" I mean bitter orange.) This phase lasts for a nice period of time and is modified by some pepper and pelargonium notes, citrus still present for me in the middle notes. There is a strong presence of a mineral-ish note all throughout the top and middle notes (Flint maybe / slate-y smell)...As the fragrance evolves it become drier and a bit earthier with a nice bit of cedar and very tiny hint of patchouli.

I have been using this for 3 years now and is my olfactory signature now... It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, highly non-conformist and individualistic. and in my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser so if you're looking for a "acqua di gio" kinda thing... this probably isn't for you....

Longevity is massive... 10-12 hours on my skin and projection is really really good (without being overpowering)... but definitely sample some before you buy it... especially considering how expensive it is...
26th May, 2014
I bought this perfume mainly because of the hype and also since I like fresh/lemony/citrusy fragrances. They tend to work well in an office environment. I get the earthy orange accord and nothing else.
On my skin, longevity sucks. Projection & sillage aren't wonderful either.
It doesn't get a thumbs down because I don't think its a bad fragrance.
11th May, 2014
An elegant & sophisticated scent, one that has yet to be spoiled by it being worn by the masses. It's spillage is very good, longevity isn't brilliant but is far better than the majority of Hermes collection.
04th May, 2014
In its form its not a bad fragrance, the idea is great.

Like peeling an grapefruit at the beach after a swim on a hot day while a fresh breeze gently dries your towel on the hot sand and your wet t-shirt thats sweating on one of those big, really hot rocks...

If only Ellena had put in more time and natural stuff to really give this scent a living vibe, this would have been great.

Instead, for me, that synthetic grapefruit-note is too bold and crude and goes on and on, and cant seem to settle down with the dry notes, cederwood, in this perfume. A typical overdosed iso e super perfume that so many of us are addicted to nowadays, so its no wonder it sells good.

This interacts better with the fabric of a cotton t-shirt than on (my) human skin.
23rd April, 2014 (last edited: 27th May, 2014)