Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

What kind of "terre" could this be? Perhaps a parched, uninhabited island: some dusty rocks, dry sandy soil, a few juiceless laurel shrubs blown by a hot wind. A stunted orange tree. A few spent gun cartridges lying in the dirt under a burning sun. No living creatures to be found -- at least nothing with blood in its veins. Pristine.
15th September, 2017
Turn in the road by Paul Cezanne 1881
01st September, 2017
So this is the second day that I put a cologne on and could tell it was fading as soon as I put it on. I'm beginning to think that the store that I'm buying these samples from his either watering these perfumes down for, or, the perfume houses understand that Americans want the idea of putting clothes on but are so afraid of being offensive that the manufactures have got the juice down to where you'll only smell them 30 minutes after you put them on. So I dumped the entire 1 mL sample on my head (I usually put cologne on the back of my head/neck) Easily the worst experience of all the samples that I've tried so far. This one was disappearing before I got out of the locker room. It's got some nice notes I can smell the Cedar and lime. I can smell the notes that I like. However it's gone off. Longevity poor projection worse than poor

Edit. So after an entire day wearing this I may have changed my mind. It is now over 12 hrs later and I still sense it. Other reviewers said it was one dimensional, I agree, there isn't so much notes as note, but it is there all day. I'm not sure if it is because I have never used pure perfume before, because I swear there was nothing there when I put it on, but as I wore it, it settled into, I dunno, citrus? Grapefruit? My girlfriend has to be in my personal space i.e. Kissing me to smell it. She said she likes it, but doesn't love it. I'm going to try the edt and order another edp just to see if there is a there there
15th July, 2017

What a wonderful, mature and classy fragrance. 'Terre D' Hermes' by Hermes is a great scent for the spring, summer and even fall months, with superb performance.

Initial blast is oranges and vetiver, with a hint of cedarwood. A hint of pepper and what seems to be floral notes are also detected. As it dries down and settles, the vetiver and orange really stay fairly prominent, layered over what is undoubtedly cedarwood and a bit of patchouli note.

The base is mainly vetiver and cedarwood, and surprisingly the orange top note carries itself mildly all the way through the life of the fragrance. It smells very nice, an expensive and distinguished smell that is very likable but definitely for the 30+ man who dresses to impress and is well spoken.

Longevity with a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, chest and wrists) is about 10-12+ hours, and at least a week or two on clothes and fabrics. The projection is steady, and sillage is good and never cloying or headache inducing. Very safe for work, close encounters and professional engagements.

This is a perfect signature fragrance for the professional man over thirty years of age who dresses well, speaks articulately and wants a scent that can be worn in any season and at any occasion.
17th June, 2017
Just could not get into this. From reading the reviews I feel like I was wearing a completely different fragrance than everyone else. Silage is good. Longevity was around 10 hours. Just too bad that this wasn't for me.
15th June, 2017
I remember smelling this when it first came out and immediatly throwing away the blotter because of the harsh opening. Ten years later I sprayed a second blotter with the EDT and this time I was mesmerized by it. The raw earthiness and maturity it evoked won me over big time. Without further testing I found my self picking up a 50 ml bottle and used most of it during that fall.

By the time winter arrived I started wearing it less and less. At first I could not explain why, since it got me several compliments here and there. I had no problems with the performance. It has both stellar longevity and sillage. I remember spraying myself and leaving the house and hours later when I got back, my parents told me the smell lingered in the room for a while after I've been gone. And then it hit me.

One day, during the drydown, I started feeling nauseated. I did some research and I guess I have to blame the Iso-E Super for the headaches.
I read lots of similar reactions by people describing somewhat of a chemical smell that made them feel nauseus. I cannot be certain if it's the Iso-E Super or not but I am certain that this is not a scent I want to repurchase. I can understand why some people love it, it is truly very versatile and unique, it has great performance, it's an all season friendly scent and definitely signature worthy. Seems to tick all the right boxes, but alas this is not for me.

Maybe in the future I'll give the EDP a chance, but right now I feel that I really need to distance my self from the Terre D'Hermes DNA and let time decide if it's one that I'll want to have again in my wardrobe.
06th June, 2017
Terre d'Hermes opens with a short blast of semi-sweet citrus and bright, freshly-sanded cedar. Very quickly, the citrus retreats into the background and the cedar, prominent but suddenly mellowed and aged - is joined with earthy moss and maybe just a tiny hint of musty mildew. It reminds me of rainy fall days spent at my family's cottage in the mountains. This will definitely be in my fall/winter rotation.
09th May, 2017
Ticks all the boxes. My most complimented fragrance ever. Smell expensive and classy. Goes great with a suit. Makes you feel at the top of your game. Wouldn't be without it! Nothing more to say.
02nd May, 2017
I feel like this is a really unique scent beyond my ability to describe in any helpful way. I smelled the orange, the gunflint and the vetiver. It's elemental, earthy.

The more I smelled this and wore it, the more I liked it and came to appreciate its quality.

If you're like me and you expect your scents to last, this one gets you through a whole day easily. Really terrific longevity for me.

It's very unique IMO, but not something I imagine women falling over themselves to smell.

However, this one gets a 10 from me.

30th April, 2017
Stopped in for a tie, left switching from a tie connoisseur to a fragrance aficionado. The Hermes employee had opened up the world of fine fragrance to me with Terre. When I smelled it all I could think of was just how high class it smelled, as if I were in a very nice house with the finest woodwork you could imagine and it was giving off a citrus vibe after just being cleaned, and that is why this is my signature fragrance, that and a bundle of memories that go with it!
25th April, 2017
I'll be honest. This type of scent is not my favorite - I'm not really a fan of the more earthy, woody, or for that matter, aquatic/blue sort of scents though that last one doesn't apply as much here.

But having said that, I don't always like to stay inside my box and as I'm on a fun journey to try as many great fragrances as I can, I enjoy trying ones with great reviews, even if the notes aren't my usual thing (my usual thing, incidentally being variations on the theme of Oriental, whether it be oriental spicy or fragrances that are quite fruity and/or floral).

But anyway, I thought this was very good! Despite my resistance to these sort of scents, I was able to appreciate this one's clean and pure freshness. And I agree with those that said it smells "expensive" and "classy".

However, I didn't find it had that much projection or great staying power with me. I tried the EDT. I would be curious to try the EDP. I mean, it wasn't bad for a couple of hours, but then it became much more subtle or as my co-worker described it - "mild".

Overall, probably too "mild" for me to fall in love with, but a nice, likable and safe scent overall, and good for spring.
19th April, 2017
I get largely orange and cedar. An award winner, it's nicely done with good power, projection and longevity. It's spendy; but, not outrageously so, IMO. It works for me; however, probably wouldn't at a higher price point.
07th March, 2017
OK, i was so excited about all the positive review here on basenote and decided to order 50ml EDT. I just hope i can get a pleasant scent like Bvl marine, Issey Miyake pour home (I'm a blind buy guy). But no, from the first sniff it disappointed me. It smells like lemon soaked in water for a long time with salt. I don't understand why people like this. REALLY, YOU SHOULD SAMPLE IT BEFORE BUY. BIG THUMBS DOWN.
28th January, 2017

Sorry, but its smog to me. The ISO E seeps through horribly. I concur with emberfly's evaluation. TDH has a quite unique fragrance throughout, unmistakable. But it is unfriendly. It's uptight. " It just really isn't pleasant; I don't get it. It doesn't smell BAD, but it detracts from a person's presence, in my opinion. It's not a positive attribute, to wear this fragrance." It would be a great fragrance for an attorney to wear in chambers or with opposing counsel. It is intimidating. It does not befriend. I'd pick it as the House Fragrance for the IRS. Smog.
25th December, 2016 (last edited: 26th December, 2016)
To me, perhaps because of reformulation, this smells fresh, inoffensive, and is quite weak. Good thing I got the big bottle, as extra sprays are needed.

Clean laundry with a hint of orange. I like it, but it isn't amazing. I wish I had the original.
17th November, 2016
Very distinct in the opening, comes out with razor sharp pepper in combination with flower and wood.
It gets more flowery and citrus-zesty as it dries down.
It stays clean, sharp and woody, very masculine .
This cologne would in my opinion be perfect for the 40+ aged man in suit and tie.If moderately applied it would be OK to use in the office .Perfect for formal occasions.
The longevity is very good , and projection is great.
Quality stuff, definately on my top 10 list.

But hey, somehow i smell hyacinth in this , especially in the opening.Am I the only one?

03rd November, 2016
My biggest compliment getter so far.
This is fresh, long lasting, dirty, stimulating and I haven't smelled anything quite like it in my relatively short time exploring fragrances.
People have complimented the vetiver note in the dry down and my wife has definitely picked up the pepper.
For me, the dominant notes are the flint and then the benzoin and cedarwood. The citrus opening for me is fleeting.
Great longevity and I can see myself wearing this all year round adjusting the sprays accordingly.
9/10.
02nd November, 2016
I get it. I finally tried TdH and I get why it's so talked about. It came in an order of samples that I based on positive BN reviews.

To me, the opening is spiced oranges and lemons. It seems both bitter and juicy, and the presence of peppers is fleeting but influential. It is much tamer than I expected, but it remains curious in spite of its understatedness. I suppose "subtle but interesting" fits perfectly.
the drydown is like the crunch of dry twigs under walking feet, undeniably evergreen. It reminds me of elemi, almost pickled in a way: peppercorns, peppers, and the back-end of citrus.
The kind of subtle, okay-in-an-elevator fragrance that is unlike anything I've ever smelled. Glad I followed suit!
06th October, 2016 (last edited: 05th October, 2016)
Terre D'Hermes
- Smells old, like an older man who goes to a very rigid or strict job/workplace that he doesn't particularly like. It doesn't smell pleasant or relaxed. It totally reminds me of an older man. Like I could see my father or a grandfather wearing this.

In terms of the actual scent, I'm not sure how to describe it. Terre is not a good description -- it doesn't smell earthy. It smells like cologne. Like when I envision what cologne smells like, this is it. Unpleasant, "masculine", a
bit weird. It just really isn't pleasant; I don't get it. It doesn't smell BAD, but it detracts from a person's presence, in my opinion. It's not a positive attribute, to wear this fragrance.

This fragrance is classified by others as "citrusy." I feel like this description isn't useful. Sure there is a slight citrus note to it, but that's not what characterizes this fragrance at all. I get a lot of really strong woody notes. I almost picture the inside of a cigar box. Perhaps rubbed with a bit of pinesol, but not too much, as it's mostly the wood you smell.

It's ultimately not a fragrance that I like AT ALL.

In summary, this fragrance might suit a very uptight old man (60+) who never smiles or enjoys life. That characterizes this fragrance well. It is not for the young, it is not for the joyful. It is for some old high ranking military official or government official. It smells very stiff and uptight. Certainly unpleasant.
30th September, 2016
This is a fantastic fragrance and used to be my go-to every time. Over the production years, however, it has become slightly weaker in strength and now has a much 'fresher' and less 'earthier' smell than it used to have.
It is still, however, a beautiful scent that attracts many comments and should still be a staple in every man's cabinet.
12th September, 2016
Whoopee, yet another TdH review. I can understand how some might find this fragrance off-putting -- it's quite assertive at the start, especially if applied too liberally. But I'm definitely in the camp that finds its spiced orange opening, as well as the fresh-cut cedar and underlying note of vetiver that soon come to the fore, to be not just attractive but nearly addictive. Because it is a forceful scent I'll admit I do use it judiciously, but a little seems to go a long way.
08th September, 2016
This is not the typical seductive scent but it's manly and it's pretty damn versatile. It's the most well blended scent with orange and earthiness and one of the best orange based scent out there.

Depending on your style, some people may not like the dirty earthiness of this fragrance but dial down the sprayer trigger a bit and forget about the note composition and this should be every day scent worthy.
04th August, 2016
It seems like cedar and gunmetal, especially oil that has picked up the smell of the case. It's sharp and woody, and extremely masculine, with a ripe flower scent that stays dark and serious.

I could see how this could be confused for OFF bugspray, and yet I like it very much. The cedar wins me over and takes me right into the forest with the musk.

You truly get a sensory experience with this; the smell of air scented by evergreens and the branches you have snapped as you walk; the earth rich and damp from a recent rain, the musky smell of sweat and the salt of it running down to your upper lip. And yet it could be buttoned up, and very formal. But definitely primal.

I really like this.

edit: I had to come back and revise this review. I cannot stop smelling this on my wrist. I'm upping my rating from 4 stars to 5, bc I would 100% wear this and get tingles every time I smelled it on the wind.
19th July, 2016
Acrid, pungent, headache-inducing. I pick up strong wood and petrochemical smells. Sour. Perhaps I am sensitive to Iso E Super?

Stings my nostrils and produces an strong, inescapable olfactory aura that lasts ALL DAY. This stuff is unique, very strong, but just doesn't work my body chemistry.
17th July, 2016
I can actually see why people would not like this. This scent, depending on what note you catch a whiff of, can be anything from bug spray-like to mineral or inert.

That's the thing though, depending on what you pick up your opinion might change throughout its wearing. Dirty orange, flint, black pepper and/or vetiver......it is an interesting mix.

On me, this easily projected and had a good lifespan, maybe 6 hours or so.

Various people on YouTube reviews keep on mentioning that it comes across as an "old man" type of scent.
Definitely over thirty type of scent but seems too sophisticated to fall into only the mature demographic.
22nd June, 2016
It smells like mosquito repellent spray.
28th May, 2016
Hard to believe that this sour, miserable little thing is from the same house that sells $10K saddles.

The parfum version is much better, but much better than absolute zero is not that fantastic.

Awful. Pointless. Let's move on.
21st May, 2016
cau Show all reviews
It seems a shame to have my first review be a negative, but I suppose most of us new to fragrances are better at recognizing what we do not like vs what we do. I have a sample of TdH from Surrender To Chance, and have worn it twice on my arm, and again this morning; a large spray's worth on my chest. 40 minutes later I was in the shower scrubbing it off. This flinty vibe, that rises and hovers a couple feet off me, was intolerable. The smell under my shirt was pleasant enough; the vibe doesn't cling to the skin, and if the whole affair smelled like that I could be happy wearing this. My guess is the Iso E Super and I do not agree. I get the same from Encre Noir.

For most of the scents I have tried, my response has been indifferent. A few I like enough to have purchased. Terre d'Hermes is the first to which I can say definitely no. Perhaps I am making progress?
06th May, 2016
I'm so sad I can't rate this one a winner. I'm almost through my 2 ml sample sprayer, and have given it several wears. Today I may as well join the 500 other reviews because, well, I don't know why. Maybe I'm just trying to up my number of posts. First, I love the smell. It is earthy and mineral-y to my nose. Though a couple florals are listed, it doesn't strike me as a floral. Instead it has that green hit that a flowering shrub would have. Is that what geranium smells like? Though typically strong-funky wood resins are mentioned, I don't get a dirty wood vibe (which I love, love, love!). I don't know how to smell pepper, so it hasn't revealed itself to me. The smell is surely unique among fragrances, and I'm not surprised that it is copied and loved. There is a strange accord, maybe like lotion or makeup, but I can't find any other references to it. My nose is a very amateur one, so I may be mis-reading it: it seems that maybe that's the mineral smell, the smell of earth. Or maybe the green of a flowering shrub. The woods and citruses make me think of a walk through a conifer forest on a late Spring day, but after a bit of a rain. But, as an amateur sniffer, I cannot separate the notes effectively, so I cannot give a quality review. Others, obviously, have done this before me, so no loss for the BN'ers that I can't render a qualitative review. I do, however, wonder which Giono story Ellena had in mind? The woods and Earth make me think of "L'homme qui Plantait des Arbres", but the addition of "gunflint", and my perception of a slightly disturbing mineral scent bring to mind the anti-war novella "Le Troupeau", where destroyed, overturned, blood-soaked earth yields the blessings of new life. Honestly, that last sentence sort of describes this fragrance for me. So why a neutral rating? Even after a half-dozen squirts, on my torso, below the pits, on my throat, wrist, even in conjunction with spraying the clothes (my never-fail when a scent won't linger), Terre d'Hermes is just gone after an hour or two. I mean gone, and though it haunts me, it doesn't satisfy my desire for it. Sad neutral, but a masterful scent that is also a literary and philosophical reference, which I never thought possible.
10th April, 2016
Today's my first day wearing Terre d'Hermes. A very intriguing fragrance. I've enjoyed it. The orange and "flint" combo is unique and conveys a classy feeling. I'd say it's a very transparent fragrance. It feels very light and sheer compared to the Creed fragrances, which feel much more robust and layered. I get a more synthetic "vibe" while wearing this fragrance that I do from the Creed's or the Serge Lutens, at least the ones I've tried so far. I'm wondering if that is the flint, or the Iso E super. I had to laugh when I read MustardSalad's review. I think the flint is what gives him the scent of dill, but that's just a thought as I sit here and sniff this juice. Overall, a nice addition to my rotation, but in my opinion, this fragrance isn't nearly as good as Aventus, Royal Mayfair, Green Irish Tweed, Spice & Wood, Fille en Aiguilles, Ore, and several others. Of course that is my opinion. I know many feel this is the best of the best as shown in the top 500 right here on Base Notes, but it's down the list a ways for me, maybe top 10 or top 12. I'll have to keep wearing it and comparing.
15th March, 2016