Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Find out more about Terre d'Hermès by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mysticman's avatar

Love, love, love it!!! This is the first fragrance I've tried in at least a decade that I loved immediately and like more every time I wear it. The balance of fresh and "dirty", and the transition from the sparkly opening to the warm, sultry base is just spectacular. It smells like nothing else I've come across, and works really well with my skin.

I came across it while Christmas shopping one evening, and could still detect traces the next morning --- knew I had to have it, bu the prices were prohibitive. Fortunately I found an EdT mini with shower gel for less than $20 online, and it has joined the ranks of my top 5 favorites, along with Eau Sauvage, Guerlain's Vetiver, and Armani Pour Homme (the 5th spot rotates between Halston Z-14, Cacharel Pour Homme, Bijan, and Monsieur Balmain).

I believe Terre d'Hermes could become a modern classic. Can the era of bland aquatics be making way for bold and distinctive scents again? Bravissimo to Hermes and Jean-Claude Ellena!

16th January, 2015

Manscents2's avatar

On my skin, this started out very clearly citrus, a tart orange (tart presumably because of the grapefruit, but my nose didn’t detect the grapefruit specifically). Shortly after, for a brief time, I picked up a metallic/flint-like smell which was surprisingly pleasant (not usually my style) with a strong whiff of pepper. About 15 minutes later the pelargonium arrived with a “wow” factor that I really liked. At drydown, there was very faint patchouli and cedar, but the prominent lingering note at the base on my skin was the vetiver that strongly reminded me of lemon grass.

On me, this went on very strong and for the first several hours had fairly strong projection and moderate sillage. After about 4-5 hours it diminished to a mild projection with a drop in sillage, and by about 6-7 hours was a strong skin scent on me. However, even 15 hours after applying this, it is still a skin scent on my wrists, chest and shirt.

The initial blast out of the bottle was a bit overwhelming, but my patience paid off at the drydown, which I absolutely love. I would be comfortable wearing this year-round, and would wear it to the office. I would probably use this more as a day fragrance since I tend to prefer heavier scents at night. I found Terre d’Hermes to be a very sexy, masculine and seductive fragrance, and if I smelled this on a man I would definitely notice him. This could quickly become a new favorite.

As always, your results may vary!

23rd December, 2014 (Last Edited: 24th December, 2014)

Manscents's avatar

Trying Terre d’Hermes for the first time.

On me, this went on very strong and for the first several hours had fairly strong projection and moderate sillage. After about 4-5 hours it diminished to a mild projection with a drop in sillage, and by about 6-7 hours was a strong skin scent on me. However, even 15 hours after applying this, it is still a skin scent on my wrists and chest, and lingers on my shirt.

As always, your results may vary!

20th December, 2014

Chanel1's avatar

I don't want to wear this. I might like it on someone else, but on me it's really strong, and it chokes me out. I don't really like it. When I bury my nose in it , I'm a little put off by the smell. It's edgy. In my collection, I have two scents that give me the effect that I like in this one: Platinum Egoiste and ADG Essenza. Those have a sharp edge to my nose, and they're plenty. Terre d'Hermes takes it to another level, and I personally do not want to go there.

13th December, 2014

Industrynose's avatar

As original, and diffusive, masculine, and elegant as I find it, I can only enjoy it when other people wear it. I have tried it on myself and have had to endure a great discomfort for long hours due to the high amount of Patchouli which I find too heavy for me. Regardless, the combination of top qualities of Geranium, Patchouli and Vetiver in this fragrance makes it a modern classic and a masterpiece of a creation.

12th December, 2014

ClassicFan's avatar

One of my favorites for years. It's like a citrus dirt road with the grapefruit, orange and gunflint. The vetiver and wood class it up. I'm running out of this one and will buy more.

23rd November, 2014

RaleighJazzFan's avatar

I love this stuff. Cedar, musty orange, cedar, powder, and did I mention cedar? It's spicy, but softly so. There's the reassuringly familiar scent of cedar, with a slight poke in the nose similar to what clary sage can bring, but only to brighten things up, not to start a fight.

Freshly sprayed, it's sparkling and exuberant. Afterwards, it's warm and dry, retaining its initial character, but with added depth. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

I feel good when I wear this. It's not overpowering, but it pops up here and there over time to remind me that it's still working its magic.

Having sampled the three varieties, I prefer the EdT to the EdP, while the Eau Très Fraîche might as well have a completely different name, so dissimilar is it to the original.

The additional products in the line share the same scent, making it easy to layer for greater longevity.

My current favorite.

02nd October, 2014

Q. R. Crumm's avatar

Despite all the positives I simply could not get along with this one.

I usually like a citrus fragrance, but this just made me feel a bit sick, I don't know what it was but it just didn't do it for me.

Unfortunately I tried this on myself instead of a test card at a Duty Free, and then had to sit with it for the entire flight.

Can't get on the bandwagon with this i'm afraid.

01st October, 2014

Aether33's avatar

Terre d'Hermes -

This is a special fragrance, a modern powerhouse.

Ellena manages to infuse so many positive elements into this creation. The concept of experiencing the elements of earth, water and air is perhaps the most obvious. Terre certainly takes you through a transformation (metamorphosis) when wearing it.

It takes 'elements' that are very modern transparent and fuses them with those that are classic and permanent. The result is a fragrance that is equally sensitive, sophisticated and powerful.

You will feel intelligent when wearing Terre d'Hermes. And you WILL feel very powerful when wearing it. I can almost picture my inner 'stallion' bursting out when I spray Terre on my chest.

As such, it is not meant to seduce in the conventional way. It is not a sexy fragrance on its own. This one takes an already very confident, very intelligent person to wear to complete the effect it is intended for. This is why I only wear it for work and business, when I need all the confidence and focus I can muster.

a 9/10 for me.

24th September, 2014 (Last Edited: 04th November, 2014)

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

The first thing I notice in Terre d'Hermes is vetiver, tempered with a very light touch of citrus. Dry woody notes soon follow, and I think that these, in combination with the vetiver, create the "earthy" or "soil" accord so often noted in this scent.

The woods and vetiver stay very much front and center, rounded out by some very discreet floral notes. I get an occasional whiff of spice and incense, especially in the remarkably pronounced sillage. There is also an unusual note that suggests ash. Not tobacco ash, and not smoke, but old, cold ash, as from a long abandoned fireplace. The drydown reveals quite a bit of conifer, which melds with the vetiver in a lingering "forest" accord that I find quite pleasant.

I place Terre d'Hermes as a cumin-free, vetiver-seasoned derivative of Elléna’s earlier Déclaration. Terre d’Hermès is every bit as dry as Déclaration, but it’s also a cleaner, less angular, and less aggressive scent, which may account for its great popularity. It’s still a somewhat austere fragrance, though very easy to wear and very unlikely to offend. For this reason I could see it as a really fine business or office scent. A perfectly good, if not a terribly exciting fragrance, and certainly nothing that I have to own.

05th July, 2014

bFlay's avatar

A mostly "nice enough" fragrance that isn't worth the hype and accolades or the premium price point. Opens with a nice, but very common, pure orange oil note. This softens to a watery, mineral vibe that is somewhat unique...but only a little. Dry down presents very light, almost ephemeral peppery floral heart. I really don't get much cedar or patchouli. I think those notes should be bold and unequivocal. They are not in TERRE d'HERMES. Very minimal projection...undiscernable from 10 feet away. This isn't bad at all, just doesn't make much of a statement...

13th June, 2014

EmeraldSkye's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The first time I ever smelled Terre d'Hermes was on an airplane. My husband sat down next to me, and after a minute or two I started sniffing the air. "What is that smell?" It was everywhere and nowhere, elusive and pervasive. I couldn't trace it to him, and he only shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. I tried something at the tax free store, maybe that's it?" He said it was Terre d'Hermes, but I dismissed it as this smell was nothing like "terre"(earth). It was as unearthly as possible, more like ocean and sky, oxygen and ozone. Having finally tried it myself back home, I had to admit that this misnamed marvel was in fact what I had first sensed on the plane. Now, several years later, my son wears it as his signature scent, and I still react the same way. Sniffing the air I ask: "What is that, where does it come from?" and then: "Oh...".

So how about the "terre"? Well, perhaps wet earth. The feeling you get deep into a forest after the rain, wet pine needles, wet moss. Or else, what I really feel: sky over ocean, nothing but air and space and water and something undefinable. Everywhere and nowhere.

31st May, 2014

D_Dar's avatar

This starts off with a great citrus top note, sort of like a very "mature" orange. (By "mature" I mean bitter orange.) This phase lasts for a nice period of time and is modified by some pepper and pelargonium notes, citrus still present for me in the middle notes. There is a strong presence of a mineral-ish note all throughout the top and middle notes (Flint maybe / slate-y smell)...As the fragrance evolves it become drier and a bit earthier with a nice bit of cedar and very tiny hint of patchouli.

I have been using this for 3 years now and is my olfactory signature now... It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, highly non-conformist and individualistic. and in my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser so if you're looking for a "acqua di gio" kinda thing... this probably isn't for you....

Longevity is massive... 10-12 hours on my skin and projection is really really good (without being overpowering)... but definitely sample some before you buy it... especially considering how expensive it is...

26th May, 2014

govindbn's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I bought this perfume mainly because of the hype and also since I like fresh/lemony/citrusy fragrances. They tend to work well in an office environment. I get the earthy orange accord and nothing else.
    On my skin, longevity sucks. Projection & sillage aren't wonderful either.
    It doesn't get a thumbs down because I don't think its a bad fragrance.

11th May, 2014

neeorg's avatar

England England

An elegant & sophisticated scent, one that has yet to be spoiled by it being worn by the masses. It's spillage is very good, longevity isn't brilliant but is far better than the majority of Hermes collection.

04th May, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

In its form its not a bad fragrance, the idea is great.

Like peeling an grapefruit at the beach after a swim on a hot day while a fresh breeze gently dries your towel on the hot sand and your wet t-shirt thats sweating on one of those big, really hot rocks...

If only Ellena had put in more time and natural stuff to really give this scent a living vibe, this would have been great.

Instead, for me, that synthetic grapefruit-note is too bold and crude and goes on and on, and cant seem to settle down with the dry notes, cederwood, in this perfume. A typical overdosed iso e super perfume that so many of us are addicted to nowadays, so its no wonder it sells good.

This interacts better with the fabric of a cotton t-shirt than on (my) human skin.

23rd April, 2014 (Last Edited: 27th May, 2014)

ClarkScent's avatar

You can make this scent on your own. Get a orange, fill it with gun powder. Light it, then pick up the pieces and dab them on your body. All joking aside, this to me is what a fragrance is even made for. Exudes such a different feel to me and every time I put it on I know if I felt like it, I could rule the world.

30th March, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

For me this is one of the best mass-market fragrances for men of the last decade. Elegant and safe, but still memorable. I never got the "earth" concept since this smells of orange, vetiver and pepper, but still it's a perfectly rich, round, clean and all-year/personality/situation-round scent.

10th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 16th April, 2014)

pandaKrusher's avatar

What more can be said? Even the negative reviews hint at something epochal - do you really want to miss out?

I believe Terre d'Hermès is the legend for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Go home and get a nice quiet sleep.

17th February, 2014

JCC's avatar

Wow, I couldn’t understand the negative reviews of this stuff considering how people raved about it. I get it now though. I have a novice nose for fragrances but all I get out of this is rancid orange zest, and a grassy pickle smell. I was really looking forward to this stuff after reading the reviews but my reaction to my first smell of this stuff reminded me of trying red wine for the first time thinking it will taste similar to grape juice.

However, it goes to show you how much people’s taste vary though as I let a female friend smell it and she liked it quite a bit.

Going neutral on this only because the lady liked it.

04th February, 2014

montagne's avatar

I find it unnecessary to add this to my collection, since I already have Swarfega Orange heavy duty hand cleanser, which I keep in the garage for getting the grime off my hands after working on the car. The Swarfega smells almost identical, but is a higher quality product, with a less synthetic smell, although with (perhaps mercifully) lesser longevity and projection.

It's the signature smell of Luton Airport duty free. You cannot get to the malt whisky section without being intercepted by well-meaning assistants, intent on scent-marking you with this brash fluid . Like Heracles raiding the apples of the Hesperides, you must at all costs bypass these nymphs, or you will stink like a janitor's cupboard.

29th January, 2014

LoveCologne89's avatar

First up...Hello to all my new mates on base notes this is my first review thought id do it on a cologne I love. And by love I truly mean I love terre'd'hermes. It may not be a complex cologne but a rather unique one at that definitely has a nice opening of orange but dries down to what I can only describe as the most smokiest earthiest musky that definitely attracts women. Great sillage, smells wonderful on my skin. Funny thing bout terre'd'hermes is to some it's a cologne u may have to smells twice my first bottle was a gift and first smell was impressed second time but...loved it! One of my personal favourites.

27th January, 2014

dark's avatar

A fan of citrus and wood, I was eager to try this one based upon the reviews here. Even the negative reviews intrigued me. "An old shoe grinding a baby aspirin into a gravel road." (Cedarmoth) How cool is that?

Yikes.

This one smelled pretty good on the test strip, so I took a spray on each wrist. The opening blast of pepper was appealing, if a little overpowering. I did not detect citrus in this fragrance at all (unless the odor of rotting orange peels which appeared later counts.)

After about ten minutes, this fragrance became wildly unappealing and stayed that way. For days. (I got a little on the sleeve of my jacket and watch strap, where it's still going strong. More than a week later! The test strip, strangely, still smells reasonably good.)

This one is difficult to characterize. To me, it is very linear and smells like roasted red peppers fermented in fabric softener (with plenty of expensive ground pepper) and then left out on the sidewalk in the sun to dry.

I know I am in the minority on this one, but I strongly recommend that you test it before you buy (and avoid getting any on your clothes!)

24th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 29th January, 2014)

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Today it is 92 degrees here in Miami and I am wearing Terre d'Hermes. I am very happy I made this choice today because I love the way I smell. The orange, vetiver, pepper and other citruses come together beautifully. The heat of the day brings out those notes and I feel fresh and clean. This fragrance is perfect for day and night time wear during the summer months. I think it can also be worn in the fall. I have gotten many compliments from co-workers.

23rd January, 2014 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2014)

randydjack's avatar

Have a pet? A rabbit. Let's go with rabbit.

Alright, walk with tangerine in hand to cage of said rabbit, and place tangerine into cage.

Bottle this.

I personally love the smell. Cedar and citrus blended so that they aren't competing? That's actually...a fantastic idea, really! The title doth apply as well, terre it certainly is.

But the price point doesn't settle well with me at all. This isn't worth the tag, lads and lasses. Still a thumbs up on the whiff, not so much on the stiff.

20th January, 2014

Luxus's avatar

Chile Chile

Polarizing !

It's a scent that does not leave indifferent, innovative smell of synthetic orange, grapefruit and cedar in a positive way, but absolutely linear, there is no top, base or middle notes, it's like a single malt whisky, you love it or you hate it.

I perceive it as a fresh and masculine smell, could be an excellent signature scent, but maybe a bit boring due to the lack of development, it opens up as it dries down with great longevity - and it's a sillage monter, too.

Thumbs up for the creator of this very unique and original synthetic smell.

09th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2014)

Slug's avatar

Starts out with a nice orange blast that I really like. Unfortunately, after a couple hours on my skin it turns into a distinct vinyl smell exactly like an inflatable beach ball or raft. Really wanted to like it bu can't get past the plastic/vinyl smell it turns into.

21st December, 2013

Dactylus's avatar

When I received a sample of Terre d'Hermès I was all excited. I was excited until I put it on. It didn't smell bad. It just wasn't what I expected. My was said it was "okay", but didn't comment much after that. My daughter said it was "okay", but smelled like dirt. DIRT! Anyway, I tried it on for two for days and even though I'm still on the fence about it, every time I take a whiff of it I am liking it more and more.

18th November, 2013

Late-Hit's avatar

Just as a man is judged by his enemies as well as his friends, once in awhile you have to write about the things you don't like. This is one of them. Along with many of the other negative reviewers I cannot comprehend the popularity of Terre d'Hermes. To me it is simple, boring, and vaguely unpleasant.

Then something amazing happened. As I was thinking about this review, and scanning down through the 'Negatives' for inspiration and moral support, my EXACT word-for-word feelings about this bad-vibe orange thing with the dusty, flinty feel were staring back at me from 2006:

Cedarmoth: "An old shoe grinding a baby aspirin into a gravel road".

Like haiku, not one word can be added or taken away. I just wish I wrote it.

14th November, 2013

's avatar

Fantastic

Unique. Masculine. Top 3 in my collection.

Pros: Masterpiece
    Cons: A bit sharp in the first 10 minutes but turns amazing."

24th October, 2013