Negative Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Find out more about Terre d'Hermès by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

montagne's avatar

I find it unnecessary to add this to my collection, since I already have Swarfega Orange heavy duty hand cleanser, which I keep in the garage for getting the grime off my hands after working on the car. The Swarfega smells almost identical, but is a higher quality product, with a less synthetic smell, although with (perhaps mercifully) lesser longevity and projection.

It's the signature smell of Luton Airport duty free. You cannot get to the malt whisky section without being intercepted by well-meaning assistants, intent on scent-marking you with this brash fluid . Like Heracles raiding the apples of the Hesperides, you must at all costs bypass these nymphs, or you will stink like a janitor's cupboard.

29 January, 2014

dark's avatar

A fan of citrus and wood, I was eager to try this one based upon the reviews here. Even the negative reviews intrigued me. "An old shoe grinding a baby aspirin into a gravel road." (Cedarmoth) How cool is that?

Yikes.

This one smelled pretty good on the test strip, so I took a spray on each wrist. The opening blast of pepper was appealing, if a little overpowering. I did not detect citrus in this fragrance at all (unless the odor of rotting orange peels which appeared later counts.)

After about ten minutes, this fragrance became wildly unappealing and stayed that way. For days. (I got a little on the sleeve of my jacket and watch strap, where it's still going strong. More than a week later! The test strip, strangely, still smells reasonably good.)

This one is difficult to characterize. To me, it is very linear and smells like roasted red peppers fermented in fabric softener (with plenty of expensive ground pepper) and then left out on the sidewalk in the sun to dry.

I know I am in the minority on this one, but I strongly recommend that you test it before you buy (and avoid getting any on your clothes!)

24 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2014)

Late-Hit's avatar

Just as a man is judged by his enemies as well as his friends, once in awhile you have to write about the things you don't like. This is one of them. Along with many of the other negative reviewers I cannot comprehend the popularity of Terre d'Hermes. To me it is simple, boring, and vaguely unpleasant.

Then something amazing happened. As I was thinking about this review, and scanning down through the 'Negatives' for inspiration and moral support, my EXACT word-for-word feelings about this bad-vibe orange thing with the dusty, flinty feel were staring back at me from 2006:

Cedarmoth: "An old shoe grinding a baby aspirin into a gravel road".

Like haiku, not one word can be added or taken away. I just wish I wrote it.

14 November, 2013

ruknelly's avatar

Cote DIvoire Cote DIvoire

I bought it this morning and I already really don't like it, thought it would please me as it's a popular perfume and I heard many people talk about it.
    But I regret my choice.
    Smells like something burnt.

04 April, 2013

IndianapolisVet's avatar

"Smells like pencil shavings".

03 April, 2013

TW Bolek's avatar

Poland Poland

A cacophony of notes. That's all I have to say about this product, popularity whereof is beyond my understanding.

30th December, 2012

jernie19's avatar

Philippine Philippine

I was finally able to sample Terre d'Hermes after hearing so many recommendations here at BN. I expected it to be wonderful with so many positive feedback. Unfortunately, I did not like the smell. It smells rough and unrefined. After sniffing it on my wrist many times trying to justify all the praise it gets, I eventually got a headache and started sneezing. This is definitely NOT something I will wear in my age bracket (20s) and location (tropical climate), but I guess this works wonders in colder climate and older people.

13 October, 2012

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

when i saw the advert for this , dry dessert land, i thought this will be one dry opulent masculine rich parfume, does Hermes have such?
    although much better then pale nonexistant Voyge...this was again dissapointment, so dull at the begining, thats why i undervalued it completely, later develops into nice powdery, dry parfume that smells of cleaness with just little touch of bitter orange

10th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2012)

marcusman's avatar

This had to be the most synthetic fragrance I've smelled. I detect no natural notes what so ever. I guess that's why it's a projection/sillage monster. What I smell:

Imagine a beach ball sitting all afternoon in the sun. Now spray it with paint thinner or any other type of cleaner/chemical. Now take a big whiff- you are now smelling TdH! Why all the love?

12 August, 2012

Vellyr's avatar

I liked this the first time I smelled it, but since the second wearing it's been awful. I don't know if the juice went bad or what, but now all I get is a pungent industrial bombardment of burning plastic and sawdust.

15 April, 2012

problem's avatar

People praise this fragrance so much. I was so excited to try it until i got to sephora and did. I was so disappointed. It opened up with a really masculine scent that i couldn't tolerate. it's so powedery that i really just wanted to wash it off of my arm so quick. I let it dry for an hour, the powder just keeps on going through out the fragrance with woody unpleasant notes.

I didn't like this fragrance at all. It's not worth the price tag, so complicated that it turned out to be so unpleasant.

try before buying, don't jump on the bandwagon.

01st November, 2011

Sliqdafreaq's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

I am HIGHLY disappointed with this fragrance. Prior to buying it, I had great regards for it, but since I got myself one, sadddd!!! I hardly get a whiff of it after two hours on me, never gotten any compliments while wearing it and to top it up, my girlfriend doesn't like it. SAD!! A massive letdown (or maybe i just got a defective bottle!)

14 October, 2011

subutex's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I am really astounded.

When i sprayed this on my arm today, i was overwhelmed by the opening notes. Overpowering! So much so that i gagged and choked. My girlfriend had the same reaction too.

Afterwards, in the lift, everyone around me looked uncomfortable and covered their noses.

Just these reactions, are enough to stop me from buying it.

But i'll say it is indeed an uniqe fragrance, extremely masculine. Not everyone can carry this off.

08 September, 2011

nMo's avatar

It's like an unwanted guest (wearing TdH!) who dropped in on a nice Sunday morning and just won't leave. I'm talking about the opening synthetic Orange notes. They overpower everything else all through to the end. The drydown, which you finally smell after a couple of day, is quite nice. But which civilised being stays unshowered that long?

I cannot believe how overrated this fagrance is! Three thumbs down (even my feet voted).

27 August, 2011

4est's avatar

All I get is a huge, overpowering amount of cedar. This just makes me think of hamster cages.

25 August, 2011

Lo Grecco's avatar

It smells on me like a cleaning detergent.

28 June, 2011

NonScents's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Sickly, sickly, sickly. Literally makes myself and my wife want to be sick. How strange, all the positive reviews! Have tried it twice now. Never again.

Who would have thought people would have different noses?(!) ;o

23 May, 2011

bobosan336's avatar

I got this fragrance today - bought it blind based on the numerous favorable reviews here. First blind buy for me and a big mistake that will never happen again.

To test this I sprayed a single shot on my forearm - it hit me immediately, so hard as if a mule has kicked me in the face onto a busy highway only to be run over by a semi and a cement mixer, repeatedly. It felt like a gruesome combination of dried up orange juice and a dark asphalt/gasoline/brunt rubber combo. It struck me as extremely powerful and very very offensive.

I kept it on for about an hour and at that point I could barely take it anymore. My girlfriend, who did not like it a tiny bit gave me an ultimatum to either go outside or wash this off. I washed my had three times with soap but the scent would not go off. I took a long shower and this did not remove the scent full, albeit it lessened to a somewhat acceptable level and almost pleasant scent. It has been 8 hours and I can still smell this on me. I am hoping I will finally be able to wash this off for good with my morning shower. I would bet money that you can swim in a chlorinated pool for 2 hours and the moment you come out this stuff would still drown out any scent in the gym... I must say that the power and longevity here is absolutely monstrous. It only the scent was not so monstrous...

20th May, 2011

Beau Brummel's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Spray some orange juice on your skin and you´ll basically get the same scent. For a lesser cost...

13 April, 2011

DerrickM's avatar

This might be one where skin chemistry comes into play. I tried this twice, and definitely did not like it. Geranium. I can definitely see why people think this can smell like bug spray. I did not think the citrus was detectable over the geranium/earthy scent after it dried. Wife hated it.

18 January, 2011

kpsunil's avatar

I am a freshman when it comes to this. After reading all the reviews, I have been sampling the usual from Sephora and getting the more exotic from perfumedcourt. Atleast on my skin, the middle note smells horrible. Rotten oranges. I won't wear this.

11th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2010)

derekhazelfjmax's avatar

Unusual scent and it does get comments from others. It lasts for ages on the skin and can last for days on a jacket if you spray it by accident - this can be a bad thing!! A collegue of mine wears it all the time and when around him it can start to make you feel sick. I liked it when i first came across it but I sprayed it on my sons cuddly toy recently and it was there for days and days. Its just too much .

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2011)

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Compared to classic stuff as Jicky this is plain crap. Orange peel on top, Vetiver plus screechy woody amber. Just a not to complicated starting accord and then after an hour or so endlessly fresh nondescript screem. Hideous all around.

18 August, 2010

egoscentrick's avatar

Opens with a plastic-y orange candy note that sits unintegrated on top of the rest of the composition. The orange note never really seems to mesh with the skin. It also doesn't begin to integrate with the heart and base until well after an hour. The drydown is very pleasant and earthy, dusty and woody, and natural. On top of it, though, the contrast of the artificiality of the orange note never quite goes away. The orange almost "feels" sticky on my skin, and occasionally still wafts up, unintegrated, from the earthy base in a cloying way that I just want to stop. Unfortunately, I find this contrast to be unrefined. Too bad, too, because the base is really very nice, earthy and original.

10th July, 2010

Sensual's avatar

Smells like some cleaner used at an elementary school...or a garage. Smells "old" and depressing.

These may have something to do with my early childhood. Your mileage may vary.

07 June, 2010

pcrisp's avatar

Well, sometimes people's negative ratings can be just based on personal feelings, strange hate for a manufacturer, or a million other various reasons. However, with Terre d'Hermes I found quite a bit of the negative reviews to be DEAD ON. I did not realize this until I sampled the product after reading all the negative reviews. Instantly upon application, all those reviews came back strong and clear. Dirt, slight bit of pine, and a whole lot of tomato vine smell. YUCK!!! After a while it dries down to smell EXACTLY like one of those pine tree air fresheners for a car. Weird, and absolutely nowhere close to being a sexy or enticing masculine cologne. Nothing but negative response on behalf of the females. The opening is so blah and yuck with the dirt and absolutely disgusting tomato vine smell that it's an instant turnoff. I gave it a shot a couple different times and every time, this thing is bad.

25 May, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

1st wearing: Super green! Tried this for a day and it’s refreshing and lasts and has a good mellowing dry down. I think it’s a bit much on the PANG of green though.

2nd wearing - I end up hating the open after 30 min, then it mellows and it becomes nice for an hour or so, then it just keeps going forever when I want it to just mellow out. By a few hours in I want to get rid of it, but it won’t wash off.

Terre d'Hermès is a perfectly well dressed man with a huge smile glued on his face ALL DAY LONG, which at some point after a few hours you just want to punch him out. Kudos for longevity, but I don't love this enough.

My top green uplifting scents I prefer over this are Green Irish Tweed by Creed, Reaction by Kenneth Cole, Riverside Drive by Bond No 9, and admittedly all of these don't have the longevity that Terre d'Hermès has, but they are so much better. Lastly, I waited to mention the scent that walks all over Terre d'Hermès in its ability to even outlast in longevity and is such a superior citrus scent in it's simplicity and blend: the almighty Bergamote 22 by Le Labo.

05 March, 2010

JDE's avatar

An overly peppered sweaty orange and grapefruit laying atop a dirty and oddly mineralic middle. The drydown's ok, I suppose - but anything's better than the BO and stone phase, which lasts for about 7 hours on me.

Beautiful bottle, but I find this borderline unwearable.

12 February, 2010

Jaime N's avatar

Portugal Portugal

It's all about dirt and heat waves. This thing acts like some kind of drug on it's prey - that I can tell - but still, I find it too dirty and rugged for a guy under his 40's. It's a very unusual scent, that's for sure, but the overall effect is just too damned heavy for my tastes.

Maybe in 2040, on my son's wedding day :)

30th January, 2010

marry.waters's avatar

To tell a short story brief: The aromachemical ISO E SUPER obviously used in extendet amounts is annoying to me. It ruins the whole thing. Same with Hermes' "Jardin"-series and the offsprings of Eau D'Ornage Vert, namely Pampelmouse etc. Thats a pitty as the smell of Terre besides the ISO E SUPER reminds me of a gentle vacation in Portugal/Algarve after some rainy days - blooming nature after a 40° Celsius summer, bone dry clay still underneath.

With its overdose of ISO E SUPER Terre to me is bold, not elegant, more primitive than simple. It took two days to get rid of the remaining base. Others liked it an me, though.

11th January, 2010