Positive Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Find out more about Terre d'Hermès by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Captain's avatar

Unapologetic uber wood, pungent, bright with a touch of bitterness. Is there a slight sulphur feel or is that just the power of suggestion? I feel something off kilter and unique which keeps it firmly out of the main stream. There’s a reason this is a love or hate fragrance, for sure. It leaves a mostly cedar dry down that lasts at least 6 hours. If only Eau des Merveilles lasted this long!

03 June, 2014

EmeraldSkye's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The first time I ever smelled Terre d'Hermes was on an airplane. My husband sat down next to me, and after a minute or two I started sniffing the air. "What is that smell?" It was everywhere and nowhere, elusive and pervasive. I couldn't trace it to him, and he only shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. I tried something at the tax free store, maybe that's it?" He said it was Terre d'Hermes, but I dismissed it as this smell was nothing like "terre"(earth). It was as unearthly as possible, more like ocean and sky, oxygen and ozone. Having finally tried it myself back home, I had to admit that this misnamed marvel was in fact what I had first sensed on the plane. Now, several years later, my son wears it as his signature scent, and I still react the same way. Sniffing the air I ask: "What is that, where does it come from?" and then: "Oh...".

So how about the "terre"? Well, perhaps wet earth. The feeling you get deep into a forest after the rain, wet pine needles, wet moss. Or else, what I really feel: sky over ocean, nothing but air and space and water and something undefinable. Everywhere and nowhere.

31st May, 2014

D_Dar's avatar

This starts off with a great citrus top note, sort of like a very "mature" orange. (By "mature" I mean bitter orange.) This phase lasts for a nice period of time and is modified by some pepper and pelargonium notes, citrus still present for me in the middle notes. There is a strong presence of a mineral-ish note all throughout the top and middle notes (Flint maybe / slate-y smell)...As the fragrance evolves it become drier and a bit earthier with a nice bit of cedar and very tiny hint of patchouli.

I have been using this for 3 years now and is my olfactory signature now... It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, highly non-conformist and individualistic. and in my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser so if you're looking for a "acqua di gio" kinda thing... this probably isn't for you....

Longevity is massive... 10-12 hours on my skin and projection is really really good (without being overpowering)... but definitely sample some before you buy it... especially considering how expensive it is...

26 May, 2014

neeorg's avatar

England England

An elegant & sophisticated scent, one that has yet to be spoiled by it being worn by the masses. It's spillage is very good, longevity isn't brilliant but is far better than the majority of Hermes collection.

04 May, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

You can make this scent on your own. Get a orange, fill it with gun powder. Light it, then pick up the pieces and dab them on your body. All joking aside, this to me is what a fragrance is even made for. Exudes such a different feel to me and every time I put it on I know if I felt like it, I could rule the world.

30th March, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

For me this is one of the best mass-market fragrances for men of the last decade. Elegant and safe, but still memorable. I never got the "earth" concept since this smells of orange, vetiver and pepper, but still it's a perfectly rich, round, clean and all-year/personality/situation-round scent.

10th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

pandaKrusher's avatar

What more can be said? Even the negative reviews hint at something epochal - do you really want to miss out?

I believe Terre d'Hermès is the legend for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Go home and get a nice quiet sleep.

17 February, 2014

LoveCologne89's avatar

First up...Hello to all my new mates on base notes this is my first review thought id do it on a cologne I love. And by love I truly mean I love terre'd'hermes. It may not be a complex cologne but a rather unique one at that definitely has a nice opening of orange but dries down to what I can only describe as the most smokiest earthiest musky that definitely attracts women. Great sillage, smells wonderful on my skin. Funny thing bout terre'd'hermes is to some it's a cologne u may have to smells twice my first bottle was a gift and first smell was impressed second time but...loved it! One of my personal favourites.

27 January, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Terre d'Hermes is one of my top favorite fragrances. It starts with an orange earthy scent that delights my senses. The dry down is soft and not over powering at all. It reminds me of a James Bond type of man, classical and sophisticated. It lasts a very long time on my skin.

23 January, 2014

randydjack's avatar

Have a pet? A rabbit. Let's go with rabbit.

Alright, walk with tangerine in hand to cage of said rabbit, and place tangerine into cage.

Bottle this.

I personally love the smell. Cedar and citrus blended so that they aren't competing? That's actually...a fantastic idea, really! The title doth apply as well, terre it certainly is.

But the price point doesn't settle well with me at all. This isn't worth the tag, lads and lasses. Still a thumbs up on the whiff, not so much on the stiff.

20th January, 2014

Luxus's avatar

Chile Chile

Polarizing !

It's a scent that does not leave indifferent, innovative smell of synthetic orange, grapefruit and cedar in a positive way, but absolutely linear, there is no top, base or middle notes, it's like a single malt whisky, you love it or you hate it.

I perceive it as a fresh and masculine smell, could be an excellent signature scent, but maybe a bit boring due to the lack of development, it opens up as it dries down with great longevity - and it's a sillage monter, too.

Thumbs up for the creator of this very unique and original synthetic smell.

09 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2014)

's avatar

Fantastic

Unique. Masculine. Top 3 in my collection.

Pros: Masterpiece
    Cons: A bit sharp in the first 10 minutes but turns amazing."

24 October, 2013

mercutio's avatar

Glad to have it in my collection.

Smells like rotting orange peels shoved in a cedar tree, but in a good way(go figure). It's longevity is excellent and it's projection is strong without being over-bearing. It's nice to think to yourself, "I just made that whole hallway smell fantastic."

Compliment magnet and a good addition to any ones collection.

Pros: Really well crafted, lasts all day
    Cons: Needed some time to grow on me"

07 September, 2013

ursalan's avatar

One of the best cologne i have ever had.

This is very unique and elegant with a little less longevity. A must have in a wardrobe.....

06 August, 2013

heiver's avatar

Relaxing confidence

In short it smells like ripe oranges squeezed to vetiver and pepper. Warm spices with the coolness of orange make a nice contrast. When I apply Terre I always think of a dessert with an orange tree, cracked soil, warm breeze, orange sky and vetiver plants around the tree. I am standing next to this tree when a ripe orange falls to the ground and breaks up, letting its orange juice pour into the cracks of the ground to mix with the vetiver roots. I love it.

Pros: quality, compliments, relaxing
    Cons: use sparingly and nothing"

02 August, 2013

tdwctdwc's avatar

Review by tdwctdwc

Nothing to add to what have been said about how magnificent this is. I wore this during a very special event/occurrence in my life and every time i wear it now , it reminds me of that time. Gorgeous vetiver, refreshing oranges and classy benzoin. Longevity and Sillage both great on my skin.
    Masterpiece.

28 July, 2013

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

A woman weighing in on Terre d'Hermes: When-o-when are we going to stop defining every scent as masculine or feminine and just wear well-made scents that smell good to us, with confidence, as that's all takes to pull any scent off with panache. Whether you're male or female, Terre d'Hermes is a great scent. I'm wearing the parfum version of it as I type this and I know that if it was bearing a Serge Luten's label, there would be more reviews from women about how wonderful it is. It's all about perception...and marketing.

01st May, 2013

Alexey's avatar

Germany Germany

It's by far not your everyday fragrance... It's one of those scents, that you either love or hate!

Although it's worm wooden notes, make you feel like home, the leather and the vetiver make you feel somehow special and, most important, powerful.

It's not my favourite, but I like it a lot.

23 April, 2013

Card Board's avatar

Germany Germany

Mildly spicy and definitely citric opening combining, as some have said, a slightly turned orange/dried orange peel (it is not bad) with grapefruit. The vetiver is soon detectible, calling to mind large sun-warmed stones, rather than cool, dank, dark forest floors; it is an interesting twist to the note. It is significantly less bitter/sour than usual, even if that edge is preserved, nicely enhancing (or vice-versa) a later-appearing lifelike geranium. Patchouli lurks, lending an essential heft; hours in, vague leathers arrive. Grapefruit and vetiver stick it out for the long-haul, at the end moving towards a darker and more familiar vetiver scent. After reading numerous reviews, I am surprised to find that any woody notes rather buried, but this is not a fault. No pencil shavings for me. On the whole, this is a unique composition that works exceptionally well. All is subdued and relaxed; languorous and earthy.

18 April, 2013

Bal a Versailles's avatar

There is nothing I can add to reviews except that the cedar accord is very similar to eucalyptus or manuka essential oils that us Antipodeans identify with easily. Add the 'Terre' or red earth and 'Bingo' there's another tipping point. Add the salt laden zephyr and Terre d'Hermes is speaking our language. I would love to know the stats on popularity for the Southern Hemisphere; I imagine it would be high. Mental picture has Crocodile Dundee wearing TDH.

12 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2013)

's avatar

Wonderful vetiver based scent.
    The benzoin note and patchouli gives it a depth and an edge.
    It's more a mature scent and like Rive Gauche, it's already a classic.
    Sillage, projection and lasting power are medium.

16 March, 2013

Quartz's avatar

Terrific citrus opening followed by what seems to be a very pronounced cedar base. Lasts long and projects pretty well too. I can see wearing this year round. Very nice.

19 February, 2013

Jer's avatar

The correct pronunciation is case anyone was wondering is either (tare-dimay) or (tare-dimez). Over many years I have tried virtually every cologne starting with Old Spice, English Leather, and even the very cheap Jade East. The sense of smell has always been my favorite of the five senses so my attraction for fragrances began early as a teenager.

Unlike many of the posts here I have always tried to find that one "perfect" scent I could wear as my signature scent. I did not try to collect a bunch of bottles to be able to wear a different fragrance to suit my mood or occasion so-to-speak. I would enjoy a scent and eventually either become bored with it or find some new scent that I had to have.

Terre D'Hermes is my final stop because it has all the elements I desire in a fragrance: it's masculine, refined, potent, long-lasting, and attractive to those who come close. And it encompasses the ingredients I like such as a nice blend of a citrus accord and a woody-cedar finish. I do also love oriental notes though this does not possess that of course. I also like the fact that it is not sold in just any department store and that it is relatively expensive making it more exclusive. Although it is an "earthy" fragrance, when I first smelled a sample in a magazine my first impression was that of a well-dressed gentleman wearing a Rolex watch getting into a Jaguar. It has a pleasant high quality feel to it.

09 February, 2013

Robzrx7's avatar

Starts off a piney/orange peel thats very strong. It seems to alternate between the citrus notes and woody notes each time you get a whiff of it which is nice. I don't get any of the earthy mineral notes at all on my skin. I find a lot of similarities between TdH and Straight to Heaven. Like I said in my review of Straight to Heaven, Terre d' Hermes is what I imagine a hairy chested lumberjack wears outta the shower after a long day. If you're the hairy chested lumberjack type TdH is for you.

27 January, 2013

wormstir's avatar

Terre D'hermes is a very simple fragrance to my nose, consisting of a bitter orange peel opening, followed by a grubby geranium and vetiver edged patchouli kind of smell that then stays around for the rest of the day, alternating between wafts of earthy roots and little sharp glints of citrus. That's it, very simple, but very effective.

27 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2013)

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

There are few perfumes out there which have ads that correctly visualize the scent concept and Terre D'Hermes is one of them: A young man with well built naked torso...a free spirited horse...orange soil which form an orange cloud in the blue sky.

The ad provides an exact visualization of the style of this perfume. It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, non-conformist and individualistic. In my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser: it commands respect!

The scent is probably the most serious one I've ever encountered and when I smelled it the first time back in 2006 I knew this is an instant classic. Not surprisingly it has been a great hit among perfumistas since its been launched.

Getting more particular about the scent I should say after a loud and noisy opening it settles to a solid fabulous woody spicy composition built around citrus and pepper. Although I myself don't wear it because of personal preferences, I must confirm that it is a unique and outstanding work of art which truly deserves being called a 'masterpiece.'

Fantastic longevity and projection.

16 December, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Excellent fragrance, have learned to appreciate it a lot. The orange is my main attention grabber here. I think it's noticeable throughout the life of the fragrance, though earthy and woodsy notes are prevalent too. Has great lasting power, classical, yet contemporary feel. Highly recommended.

06 December, 2012

weezyweedz's avatar

a very nice earthy vibe

16 November, 2012

djwilson's avatar

Elegant scent , refined and defined as well it gives me the scent vibe I got from lalique encre noire , very earthy if you like lalique encre noire then "terre d'hermes might really suit you"

11th November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Pencil shavings in a bottle. Light orange citrus with a few spices. Very nice. Kind of reminds me of Carbone De Balmain with the pencil shaving vibe going on. I see a lot of hype on basenotes about this one. Definetly one to have in your arsenal. Could be a signature scent because it's safe to wear year round. Like this one the more I wear it.

21st October, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2013)