Reviews

Positive Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Salutation.

TDH is Identity HERMES fragrances. However i am not a fan this EDT but one thing is obvious,TDH is a GREAT and SPECIAL product. Bitter,Woody, Complex, Different and well balanced.

In my opinion It is a reality,A love it or hate it fragrance.It is citrusy at first.The middle/Base are Unusual as combined with Pelargonium,Pepper Cedar,Vetiver and Patchouli and creates an EARTHY MAGICAL on my skin.In fact TERRE is the perfect name for it.

Unfortunately Give me a headache but is still a respectable fragrance for me.It is suitable for AUTUMN and SPRING if you are in the right mood.If you are looking for something different in your collection then you can like this but test before you buy!

SIllage&Longevity?The best part TDH for me as are EXCELLENT.

7.25/10
24th May, 2015
Citrus, pepper, salt, rocks drying in the sun, dry wood and warm skin. In that order. An enduring favorite.

Do we need another view of TDH? Probably not, but I will say, as a woman, that every time I wear this in public, I get compliments — from women. One neighbor fell so hard for it, that I gave her a mini and a decant. So sexy, cheerful, uplifting, and IMO, genderless. (In fact, I was surprised/disappointed that it's marketed as a men's fragrance.)
15th May, 2015
There's not really much I can add to the conversation about Terre D'Hermes except to add another positive review, because to me this isn't a four. This should be a 4.5 at minimum, but to me it is a five--a perfect 10.

This fragrance is gorgeous and delicious. It is crisp, clean, fresh, and warm. It also has great projection and longevity.

It does smell mostly just like oranges but with a lot more going on. I ordered a sample of this along with the eau tres fraiche, and I originally preferred the eau tres fraiche, but as they settled the original became the winner. It has a smokey darkness to it that really goes along well with orange citrus notes.

I find this to be on the other end of the spectrum of Creed Aventus--it's an Orange version of Aventus that is more smokey and warm than Aventus. I prefer this to Aventus and it won't put nearly as much of a dent in your wallet.

As far as projection and longevity, I dabbed a little on my forearm over 6 hours ago and I am still getting passing whiffs of it from time to time.

Terre D'Hermes is a winner all around. It should be in every collection.
06th April, 2015

This was not a "love at first sight" by any means. Originally I detested what for me was a rotten oranges opening and a strong pungent vetiver/cedar accentuated by the black pepper drydown, but I started to like it more and more every time I wore it and now is one of my favorites.
Now to me the opening is not rotten oranges anymore, but more like over ripened oranges LOL, and the drydown seems less pungent LOL
Sillage is nuclear and longevity is one of the best in the industry.
08th March, 2015 (last edited: 11th March, 2015)
After seeing all the love from basenotes members about this I blind bought it about 3 years ago.

At the time I was too young to appreciate it's genius. I didn't wear it that often and it's taken 3 years for me to finish my first bottle. Now I'm older I can really appreciate this absolute masterpiece.

Strangely Terre d'Hermes smells better on other people. For me, 1 spray is overbearing and burns my nose which is the reason it took so long to finish the bottle. I have to spray anywhere apart from the neck. Projection and longevity are the best I've experienced from a fragrance that doesn't smell like old man.

It's definitely for the mature gentleman. Separating the men from the boys. Those under 25 might want to try this out before they buy. It's incredibly versatile but I consider it more of a day fragrance.

My girlfriend of 6 years wasn't a fan. She said it smelt of rotten oranges and preferred I wear Cool Water. It was from that moment I realised we weren't meant to be. We finished 1 week later.

Buy it, appreciate it and respect it.
28th February, 2015
What more can be said about TdH?

This is one of my top fragrances, and one of the very few that I could wear anytime of year, day or night and to any occaision without reservation. Probably one of the classiest "gentlemanly" fragrances I know.
25th February, 2015
I'm only familiar with the Parfum version, so the review is for that.

Terre d'Hermes was one of the first fragrance bottles that I owned, and sure enough I finished off 75 ml of it. This one has a refined orange note up top, backed up by woods and vetiver. A while after application a hard to place metallic vibe develops, a development I personally am not sure whether I liked or did not like. But the overall fragrance is still smooth, classy, refined, definitely modern in a good way and refreshing. Another great thing about this one is its versatility, though I'd say it's best on humid rainy days and afternoons.

Perhaps not Jean Claude Ellena's greatest achievement, but a highlight in his distinguished career. Recommended to try.
28th January, 2015
Love, love, love it!!! This is the first fragrance I've tried in at least a decade that I loved immediately and like more every time I wear it. The balance of fresh and "dirty", and the transition from the sparkly opening to the warm, sultry base is just spectacular. It smells like nothing else I've come across, and works really well with my skin.

I came across it while Christmas shopping one evening, and could still detect traces the next morning --- knew I had to have it, bu the prices were prohibitive. Fortunately I found an EdT mini with shower gel for less than $20 online, and it has joined the ranks of my top 5 favorites, along with Eau Sauvage, Guerlain's Vetiver, and Armani Pour Homme (the 5th spot rotates between Halston Z-14, Cacharel Pour Homme, Bijan, and Monsieur Balmain).

I believe Terre d'Hermes could become a modern classic. Can the era of bland aquatics be making way for bold and distinctive scents again? Bravissimo to Hermes and Jean-Claude Ellena!
16th January, 2015
On my skin, this started out very clearly citrus, a tart orange (tart presumably because of the grapefruit, but my nose didn’t detect the grapefruit specifically). Shortly after, for a brief time, I picked up a metallic/flint-like smell which was surprisingly pleasant (not usually my style) with a strong whiff of pepper. About 15 minutes later the pelargonium arrived with a “wow” factor that I really liked. At drydown, there was very faint patchouli and cedar, but the prominent lingering note at the base on my skin was the vetiver that strongly reminded me of lemon grass.

On me, this went on very strong and for the first several hours had fairly strong projection and moderate sillage. After about 4-5 hours it diminished to a mild projection with a drop in sillage, and by about 6-7 hours was a strong skin scent on me. However, even 15 hours after applying this, it is still a skin scent on my wrists, chest and shirt.

The initial blast out of the bottle was a bit overwhelming, but my patience paid off at the drydown, which I absolutely love. I would be comfortable wearing this year-round, and would wear it to the office. I would probably use this more as a day fragrance since I tend to prefer heavier scents at night. I found Terre d’Hermes to be a very sexy, masculine and seductive fragrance, and if I smelled this on a man I would definitely notice him. This could quickly become a new favorite.

As always, your results may vary!
23rd December, 2014 (last edited: 24th December, 2014)
Trying Terre d’Hermes for the first time.

On me, this went on very strong and for the first several hours had fairly strong projection and moderate sillage. After about 4-5 hours it diminished to a mild projection with a drop in sillage, and by about 6-7 hours was a strong skin scent on me. However, even 15 hours after applying this, it is still a skin scent on my wrists and chest, and lingers on my shirt.

As always, your results may vary!
20th December, 2014
One of my favorites for years. It's like a citrus dirt road with the grapefruit, orange and gunflint. The vetiver and wood class it up. I'm running out of this one and will buy more.
23rd November, 2014
I love this stuff. Cedar, musty orange, cedar, powder, and did I mention cedar? It's spicy, but softly so. There's the reassuringly familiar scent of cedar, with a slight poke in the nose similar to what clary sage can bring, but only to brighten things up, not to start a fight.

Freshly sprayed, it's sparkling and exuberant. Afterwards, it's warm and dry, retaining its initial character, but with added depth. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

I feel good when I wear this. It's not overpowering, but it pops up here and there over time to remind me that it's still working its magic.

Having sampled the three varieties, I prefer the EdT to the EdP, while the Eau Très Fraîche might as well have a completely different name, so dissimilar is it to the original.

The additional products in the line share the same scent, making it easy to layer for greater longevity.

My current favorite.
02nd October, 2014
Terre d'Hermes -

This is a special fragrance, a modern powerhouse.

Ellena manages to infuse so many positive elements into this creation. The concept of experiencing the elements of earth, water and air is perhaps the most obvious. Terre certainly takes you through a transformation (metamorphosis) when wearing it.

It takes 'elements' that are very modern transparent and fuses them with those that are classic and permanent. The result is a fragrance that is equally sensitive, sophisticated and powerful.

You will feel intelligent when wearing Terre d'Hermes. And you WILL feel very powerful when wearing it. I can almost picture my inner 'stallion' bursting out when I spray Terre on my chest.

As such, it is not meant to seduce in the conventional way. It is not a sexy fragrance on its own. This one takes an already very confident, very intelligent person to wear to complete the effect it is intended for. This is why I only wear it for work and business, when I need all the confidence and focus I can muster.

a 9/10 for me.
24th September, 2014 (last edited: 04th November, 2014)

The first time I ever smelled Terre d'Hermes was on an airplane. My husband sat down next to me, and after a minute or two I started sniffing the air. "What is that smell?" It was everywhere and nowhere, elusive and pervasive. I couldn't trace it to him, and he only shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. I tried something at the tax free store, maybe that's it?" He said it was Terre d'Hermes, but I dismissed it as this smell was nothing like "terre"(earth). It was as unearthly as possible, more like ocean and sky, oxygen and ozone. Having finally tried it myself back home, I had to admit that this misnamed marvel was in fact what I had first sensed on the plane. Now, several years later, my son wears it as his signature scent, and I still react the same way. Sniffing the air I ask: "What is that, where does it come from?" and then: "Oh...".

So how about the "terre"? Well, perhaps wet earth. The feeling you get deep into a forest after the rain, wet pine needles, wet moss. Or else, what I really feel: sky over ocean, nothing but air and space and water and something undefinable. Everywhere and nowhere.
31st May, 2014
This starts off with a great citrus top note, sort of like a very "mature" orange. (By "mature" I mean bitter orange.) This phase lasts for a nice period of time and is modified by some pepper and pelargonium notes, citrus still present for me in the middle notes. There is a strong presence of a mineral-ish note all throughout the top and middle notes (Flint maybe / slate-y smell)...As the fragrance evolves it become drier and a bit earthier with a nice bit of cedar and very tiny hint of patchouli.

I have been using this for 3 years now and is my olfactory signature now... It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, highly non-conformist and individualistic. and in my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser so if you're looking for a "acqua di gio" kinda thing... this probably isn't for you....

Longevity is massive... 10-12 hours on my skin and projection is really really good (without being overpowering)... but definitely sample some before you buy it... especially considering how expensive it is...
26th May, 2014
An elegant & sophisticated scent, one that has yet to be spoiled by it being worn by the masses. It's spillage is very good, longevity isn't brilliant but is far better than the majority of Hermes collection.
04th May, 2014
You can make this scent on your own. Get a orange, fill it with gun powder. Light it, then pick up the pieces and dab them on your body. All joking aside, this to me is what a fragrance is even made for. Exudes such a different feel to me and every time I put it on I know if I felt like it, I could rule the world.
30th March, 2014
What more can be said? Even the negative reviews hint at something epochal - do you really want to miss out?

I believe Terre d'Hermès is the legend for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Go home and get a nice quiet sleep.
17th February, 2014
First up...Hello to all my new mates on base notes this is my first review thought id do it on a cologne I love. And by love I truly mean I love terre'd'hermes. It may not be a complex cologne but a rather unique one at that definitely has a nice opening of orange but dries down to what I can only describe as the most smokiest earthiest musky that definitely attracts women. Great sillage, smells wonderful on my skin. Funny thing bout terre'd'hermes is to some it's a cologne u may have to smells twice my first bottle was a gift and first smell was impressed second time but...loved it! One of my personal favourites.
27th January, 2014
Today it is 92 degrees here in Miami and I am wearing Terre d'Hermes. I am very happy I made this choice today because I love the way I smell. The orange, vetiver, pepper and other citruses come together beautifully. The heat of the day brings out those notes and I feel fresh and clean. This fragrance is perfect for day and night time wear during the summer months. I think it can also be worn in the fall. I have gotten many compliments from co-workers.
23rd January, 2014 (last edited: 13th August, 2014)
Have a pet? A rabbit. Let's go with rabbit.

Alright, walk with tangerine in hand to cage of said rabbit, and place tangerine into cage.

Bottle this.

I personally love the smell. Cedar and citrus blended so that they aren't competing? That's actually...a fantastic idea, really! The title doth apply as well, terre it certainly is.

But the price point doesn't settle well with me at all. This isn't worth the tag, lads and lasses. Still a thumbs up on the whiff, not so much on the stiff.
20th January, 2014
Polarizing !

It's a scent that does not leave indifferent, innovative smell of synthetic orange, grapefruit and cedar in a positive way, but absolutely linear, there is no top, base or middle notes, it's like a single malt whisky, you love it or you hate it.

I perceive it as a fresh and masculine smell, could be an excellent signature scent, but maybe a bit boring due to the lack of development, it opens up as it dries down with great longevity - and it's a sillage monter, too.

Thumbs up for the creator of this very unique and original synthetic smell.
09th January, 2014 (last edited: 10th January, 2014)
Fantastic

Unique. Masculine. Top 3 in my collection.

Pros: Masterpiece
Cons: A bit sharp in the first 10 minutes but turns amazing."

24th October, 2013
Glad to have it in my collection.

Smells like rotting orange peels shoved in a cedar tree, but in a good way(go figure). It's longevity is excellent and it's projection is strong without being over-bearing. It's nice to think to yourself, "I just made that whole hallway smell fantastic."

Compliment magnet and a good addition to any ones collection.

Pros: Really well crafted, lasts all day
Cons: Needed some time to grow on me"

07th September, 2013
One of the best cologne i have ever had.

This is very unique and elegant with a little less longevity. A must have in a wardrobe.....

06th August, 2013
Relaxing confidence

In short it smells like ripe oranges squeezed to vetiver and pepper. Warm spices with the coolness of orange make a nice contrast. When I apply Terre I always think of a dessert with an orange tree, cracked soil, warm breeze, orange sky and vetiver plants around the tree. I am standing next to this tree when a ripe orange falls to the ground and breaks up, letting its orange juice pour into the cracks of the ground to mix with the vetiver roots. I love it.

Pros: quality, compliments, relaxing
Cons: use sparingly and nothing"

02nd August, 2013
I had originally given this a neutral, but I've changed it to a thumbs-up!
This is a modern-day powerhouse fragrance as others have said.

I sprayed this on at the mall and sprayed it on paper.
I liked the brash intensity of both sprays and the mental imagery this brings out.
To me, it smells like the "Big Boss" who sits behind the large, unpolished desk hollering at someone for losing the "Johnson account" or like the actor, Simon Oakland (the boss in "The Night Stalker" (TV show)). Maybe it's what I imagine Frank Sutton (Sgt. Carter from "Gomer Pyle") would smell like when dressed in a suit.
Anyway: All of the women in the store; my wife, my 17 y/o daughter and the two women behind the counter didn't like it. They HATED it at the bottle, on paper and on me. Hmmm...

This, however, has become one of my all-time favorites.
Layering it with the Pure Parfum of same name completes the ensemble and lasts all day and night. This is niche quality in a designer fragrance.
It works in any weather for any occasion and probably best suits the 30+ year-old male.
...very worth the price and fairly unique where I live, so it would be easy for me to make this a signature scent.
12th May, 2013 (last edited: 21st November, 2014)
A woman weighing in on Terre d'Hermes: When-o-when are we going to stop defining every scent as masculine or feminine and just wear well-made scents that smell good to us, with confidence, as that's all takes to pull any scent off with panache. Whether you're male or female, Terre d'Hermes is a great scent. I'm wearing the parfum version of it as I type this and I know that if it was bearing a Serge Luten's label, there would be more reviews from women about how wonderful it is. It's all about perception...and marketing.
01st May, 2013

It's by far not your everyday fragrance... It's one of those scents, that you either love or hate!

Although it's worm wooden notes, make you feel like home, the leather and the vetiver make you feel somehow special and, most important, powerful.

It's not my favourite, but I like it a lot.
23rd April, 2013
Mildly spicy and definitely citric opening combining, as some have said, a slightly turned orange/dried orange peel (it is not bad) with grapefruit. The vetiver is soon detectible, calling to mind large sun-warmed stones, rather than cool, dank, dark forest floors; it is an interesting twist to the note. It is significantly less bitter/sour than usual, even if that edge is preserved, nicely enhancing (or vice-versa) a later-appearing lifelike geranium. Patchouli lurks, lending an essential heft; hours in, vague leathers arrive. Grapefruit and vetiver stick it out for the long-haul, at the end moving towards a darker and more familiar vetiver scent. After reading numerous reviews, I am surprised to find that any woody notes rather buried, but this is not a fault. No pencil shavings for me. On the whole, this is a unique composition that works exceptionally well. All is subdued and relaxed; languorous and earthy.
18th April, 2013