Positive Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Find out more about Terre d'Hermès by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mysticman's avatar

Love, love, love it!!! This is the first fragrance I've tried in at least a decade that I loved immediately and like more every time I wear it. The balance of fresh and "dirty", and the transition from the sparkly opening to the warm, sultry base is just spectacular. It smells like nothing else I've come across, and works really well with my skin.

I came across it while Christmas shopping one evening, and could still detect traces the next morning --- knew I had to have it, bu the prices were prohibitive. Fortunately I found an EdT mini with shower gel for less than $20 online, and it has joined the ranks of my top 5 favorites, along with Eau Sauvage, Guerlain's Vetiver, and Armani Pour Homme (the 5th spot rotates between Halston Z-14, Cacharel Pour Homme, Bijan, and Monsieur Balmain).

I believe Terre d'Hermes could become a modern classic. Can the era of bland aquatics be making way for bold and distinctive scents again? Bravissimo to Hermes and Jean-Claude Ellena!

16th January, 2015

Manscents2's avatar

On my skin, this started out very clearly citrus, a tart orange (tart presumably because of the grapefruit, but my nose didn’t detect the grapefruit specifically). Shortly after, for a brief time, I picked up a metallic/flint-like smell which was surprisingly pleasant (not usually my style) with a strong whiff of pepper. About 15 minutes later the pelargonium arrived with a “wow” factor that I really liked. At drydown, there was very faint patchouli and cedar, but the prominent lingering note at the base on my skin was the vetiver that strongly reminded me of lemon grass.

On me, this went on very strong and for the first several hours had fairly strong projection and moderate sillage. After about 4-5 hours it diminished to a mild projection with a drop in sillage, and by about 6-7 hours was a strong skin scent on me. However, even 15 hours after applying this, it is still a skin scent on my wrists, chest and shirt.

The initial blast out of the bottle was a bit overwhelming, but my patience paid off at the drydown, which I absolutely love. I would be comfortable wearing this year-round, and would wear it to the office. I would probably use this more as a day fragrance since I tend to prefer heavier scents at night. I found Terre d’Hermes to be a very sexy, masculine and seductive fragrance, and if I smelled this on a man I would definitely notice him. This could quickly become a new favorite.

As always, your results may vary!

23rd December, 2014 (Last Edited: 24th December, 2014)

Manscents's avatar

Trying Terre d’Hermes for the first time.

On me, this went on very strong and for the first several hours had fairly strong projection and moderate sillage. After about 4-5 hours it diminished to a mild projection with a drop in sillage, and by about 6-7 hours was a strong skin scent on me. However, even 15 hours after applying this, it is still a skin scent on my wrists and chest, and lingers on my shirt.

As always, your results may vary!

20th December, 2014

ClassicFan's avatar

One of my favorites for years. It's like a citrus dirt road with the grapefruit, orange and gunflint. The vetiver and wood class it up. I'm running out of this one and will buy more.

23rd November, 2014

RaleighJazzFan's avatar

I love this stuff. Cedar, musty orange, cedar, powder, and did I mention cedar? It's spicy, but softly so. There's the reassuringly familiar scent of cedar, with a slight poke in the nose similar to what clary sage can bring, but only to brighten things up, not to start a fight.

Freshly sprayed, it's sparkling and exuberant. Afterwards, it's warm and dry, retaining its initial character, but with added depth. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

I feel good when I wear this. It's not overpowering, but it pops up here and there over time to remind me that it's still working its magic.

Having sampled the three varieties, I prefer the EdT to the EdP, while the Eau Très Fraîche might as well have a completely different name, so dissimilar is it to the original.

The additional products in the line share the same scent, making it easy to layer for greater longevity.

My current favorite.

02nd October, 2014

Aether33's avatar

Terre d'Hermes -

This is a special fragrance, a modern powerhouse.

Ellena manages to infuse so many positive elements into this creation. The concept of experiencing the elements of earth, water and air is perhaps the most obvious. Terre certainly takes you through a transformation (metamorphosis) when wearing it.

It takes 'elements' that are very modern transparent and fuses them with those that are classic and permanent. The result is a fragrance that is equally sensitive, sophisticated and powerful.

You will feel intelligent when wearing Terre d'Hermes. And you WILL feel very powerful when wearing it. I can almost picture my inner 'stallion' bursting out when I spray Terre on my chest.

As such, it is not meant to seduce in the conventional way. It is not a sexy fragrance on its own. This one takes an already very confident, very intelligent person to wear to complete the effect it is intended for. This is why I only wear it for work and business, when I need all the confidence and focus I can muster.

a 9/10 for me.

24th September, 2014 (Last Edited: 04th November, 2014)

EmeraldSkye's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The first time I ever smelled Terre d'Hermes was on an airplane. My husband sat down next to me, and after a minute or two I started sniffing the air. "What is that smell?" It was everywhere and nowhere, elusive and pervasive. I couldn't trace it to him, and he only shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. I tried something at the tax free store, maybe that's it?" He said it was Terre d'Hermes, but I dismissed it as this smell was nothing like "terre"(earth). It was as unearthly as possible, more like ocean and sky, oxygen and ozone. Having finally tried it myself back home, I had to admit that this misnamed marvel was in fact what I had first sensed on the plane. Now, several years later, my son wears it as his signature scent, and I still react the same way. Sniffing the air I ask: "What is that, where does it come from?" and then: "Oh...".

So how about the "terre"? Well, perhaps wet earth. The feeling you get deep into a forest after the rain, wet pine needles, wet moss. Or else, what I really feel: sky over ocean, nothing but air and space and water and something undefinable. Everywhere and nowhere.

31st May, 2014

D_Dar's avatar

This starts off with a great citrus top note, sort of like a very "mature" orange. (By "mature" I mean bitter orange.) This phase lasts for a nice period of time and is modified by some pepper and pelargonium notes, citrus still present for me in the middle notes. There is a strong presence of a mineral-ish note all throughout the top and middle notes (Flint maybe / slate-y smell)...As the fragrance evolves it become drier and a bit earthier with a nice bit of cedar and very tiny hint of patchouli.

I have been using this for 3 years now and is my olfactory signature now... It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, highly non-conformist and individualistic. and in my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser so if you're looking for a "acqua di gio" kinda thing... this probably isn't for you....

Longevity is massive... 10-12 hours on my skin and projection is really really good (without being overpowering)... but definitely sample some before you buy it... especially considering how expensive it is...

26th May, 2014

neeorg's avatar

England England

An elegant & sophisticated scent, one that has yet to be spoiled by it being worn by the masses. It's spillage is very good, longevity isn't brilliant but is far better than the majority of Hermes collection.

04th May, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

You can make this scent on your own. Get a orange, fill it with gun powder. Light it, then pick up the pieces and dab them on your body. All joking aside, this to me is what a fragrance is even made for. Exudes such a different feel to me and every time I put it on I know if I felt like it, I could rule the world.

30th March, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

For me this is one of the best mass-market fragrances for men of the last decade. Elegant and safe, but still memorable. I never got the "earth" concept since this smells of orange, vetiver and pepper, but still it's a perfectly rich, round, clean and all-year/personality/situation-round scent.

10th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 16th April, 2014)

pandaKrusher's avatar

What more can be said? Even the negative reviews hint at something epochal - do you really want to miss out?

I believe Terre d'Hermès is the legend for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Go home and get a nice quiet sleep.

17th February, 2014

LoveCologne89's avatar

First up...Hello to all my new mates on base notes this is my first review thought id do it on a cologne I love. And by love I truly mean I love terre'd'hermes. It may not be a complex cologne but a rather unique one at that definitely has a nice opening of orange but dries down to what I can only describe as the most smokiest earthiest musky that definitely attracts women. Great sillage, smells wonderful on my skin. Funny thing bout terre'd'hermes is to some it's a cologne u may have to smells twice my first bottle was a gift and first smell was impressed second time but...loved it! One of my personal favourites.

27th January, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Today it is 92 degrees here in Miami and I am wearing Terre d'Hermes. I am very happy I made this choice today because I love the way I smell. The orange, vetiver, pepper and other citruses come together beautifully. The heat of the day brings out those notes and I feel fresh and clean. This fragrance is perfect for day and night time wear during the summer months. I think it can also be worn in the fall. I have gotten many compliments from co-workers.

23rd January, 2014 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2014)

randydjack's avatar

Have a pet? A rabbit. Let's go with rabbit.

Alright, walk with tangerine in hand to cage of said rabbit, and place tangerine into cage.

Bottle this.

I personally love the smell. Cedar and citrus blended so that they aren't competing? That's actually...a fantastic idea, really! The title doth apply as well, terre it certainly is.

But the price point doesn't settle well with me at all. This isn't worth the tag, lads and lasses. Still a thumbs up on the whiff, not so much on the stiff.

20th January, 2014

Luxus's avatar

Chile Chile

Polarizing !

It's a scent that does not leave indifferent, innovative smell of synthetic orange, grapefruit and cedar in a positive way, but absolutely linear, there is no top, base or middle notes, it's like a single malt whisky, you love it or you hate it.

I perceive it as a fresh and masculine smell, could be an excellent signature scent, but maybe a bit boring due to the lack of development, it opens up as it dries down with great longevity - and it's a sillage monter, too.

Thumbs up for the creator of this very unique and original synthetic smell.

09th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2014)

's avatar

Fantastic

Unique. Masculine. Top 3 in my collection.

Pros: Masterpiece
    Cons: A bit sharp in the first 10 minutes but turns amazing."

24th October, 2013

mercutio's avatar

Glad to have it in my collection.

Smells like rotting orange peels shoved in a cedar tree, but in a good way(go figure). It's longevity is excellent and it's projection is strong without being over-bearing. It's nice to think to yourself, "I just made that whole hallway smell fantastic."

Compliment magnet and a good addition to any ones collection.

Pros: Really well crafted, lasts all day
    Cons: Needed some time to grow on me"

07th September, 2013

ursalan's avatar

One of the best cologne i have ever had.

This is very unique and elegant with a little less longevity. A must have in a wardrobe.....

06th August, 2013

heiver's avatar

Relaxing confidence

In short it smells like ripe oranges squeezed to vetiver and pepper. Warm spices with the coolness of orange make a nice contrast. When I apply Terre I always think of a dessert with an orange tree, cracked soil, warm breeze, orange sky and vetiver plants around the tree. I am standing next to this tree when a ripe orange falls to the ground and breaks up, letting its orange juice pour into the cracks of the ground to mix with the vetiver roots. I love it.

Pros: quality, compliments, relaxing
    Cons: use sparingly and nothing"

02nd August, 2013

tdwctdwc's avatar

Review by tdwctdwc

Nothing to add to what have been said about how magnificent this is. I wore this during a very special event/occurrence in my life and every time i wear it now , it reminds me of that time. Gorgeous vetiver, refreshing oranges and classy benzoin. Longevity and Sillage both great on my skin.
    Masterpiece.

28th July, 2013

thines01's avatar

I had originally given this a neutral, but I've changed it to a thumbs-up!
    This is a modern-day powerhouse fragrance as others have said.

I sprayed this on at the mall and sprayed it on paper.
    I liked the brash intensity of both sprays and the mental imagery this brings out.
    To me, it smells like the "Big Boss" who sits behind the large, unpolished desk hollering at someone for losing the "Johnson account" or like the actor, Simon Oakland (the boss in "The Night Stalker" (TV show)). Maybe it's what I imagine Frank Sutton (Sgt. Carter from "Gomer Pyle") would smell like when dressed in a suit.
    Anyway: All of the women in the store; my wife, my 17 y/o daughter and the two women behind the counter didn't like it. They HATED it at the bottle, on paper and on me. Hmmm...

This, however, has become one of my all-time favorites.
    Layering it with the Pure Parfum of same name completes the ensemble and lasts all day and night. This is niche quality in a designer fragrance.
    It works in any weather for any occasion and probably best suits the 30+ year-old male.
    ...very worth the price and fairly unique where I live, so it would be easy for me to make this a signature scent.

12th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st November, 2014)

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

A woman weighing in on Terre d'Hermes: When-o-when are we going to stop defining every scent as masculine or feminine and just wear well-made scents that smell good to us, with confidence, as that's all takes to pull any scent off with panache. Whether you're male or female, Terre d'Hermes is a great scent. I'm wearing the parfum version of it as I type this and I know that if it was bearing a Serge Luten's label, there would be more reviews from women about how wonderful it is. It's all about perception...and marketing.

01st May, 2013

Alexey's avatar

Germany Germany

It's by far not your everyday fragrance... It's one of those scents, that you either love or hate!

Although it's worm wooden notes, make you feel like home, the leather and the vetiver make you feel somehow special and, most important, powerful.

It's not my favourite, but I like it a lot.

23rd April, 2013

Card Board's avatar

Germany Germany

Mildly spicy and definitely citric opening combining, as some have said, a slightly turned orange/dried orange peel (it is not bad) with grapefruit. The vetiver is soon detectible, calling to mind large sun-warmed stones, rather than cool, dank, dark forest floors; it is an interesting twist to the note. It is significantly less bitter/sour than usual, even if that edge is preserved, nicely enhancing (or vice-versa) a later-appearing lifelike geranium. Patchouli lurks, lending an essential heft; hours in, vague leathers arrive. Grapefruit and vetiver stick it out for the long-haul, at the end moving towards a darker and more familiar vetiver scent. After reading numerous reviews, I am surprised to find that any woody notes rather buried, but this is not a fault. No pencil shavings for me. On the whole, this is a unique composition that works exceptionally well. All is subdued and relaxed; languorous and earthy.

18th April, 2013

Bal a Versailles's avatar

There is nothing I can add to reviews except that the cedar accord is very similar to eucalyptus or manuka essential oils that us Antipodeans identify with easily. Add the 'Terre' or red earth and 'Bingo' there's another tipping point. Add the salt laden zephyr and Terre d'Hermes is speaking our language. I would love to know the stats on popularity for the Southern Hemisphere; I imagine it would be high. Mental picture has Crocodile Dundee wearing TDH.

12th April, 2013 (Last Edited: 27th April, 2013)

's avatar

Wonderful vetiver based scent.
    The benzoin note and patchouli gives it a depth and an edge.
    It's more a mature scent and like Rive Gauche, it's already a classic.
    Sillage, projection and lasting power are medium.

16th March, 2013

Quartz's avatar

Terrific citrus opening followed by what seems to be a very pronounced cedar base. Lasts long and projects pretty well too. I can see wearing this year round. Very nice.

19th February, 2013

Jer's avatar

The correct pronunciation is case anyone was wondering is either (tare-dimay) or (tare-dimez). Over many years I have tried virtually every cologne starting with Old Spice, English Leather, and even the very cheap Jade East. The sense of smell has always been my favorite of the five senses so my attraction for fragrances began early as a teenager.

Unlike many of the posts here I have always tried to find that one "perfect" scent I could wear as my signature scent. I did not try to collect a bunch of bottles to be able to wear a different fragrance to suit my mood or occasion so-to-speak. I would enjoy a scent and eventually either become bored with it or find some new scent that I had to have.

Terre D'Hermes is my final stop because it has all the elements I desire in a fragrance: it's masculine, refined, potent, long-lasting, and attractive to those who come close. And it encompasses the ingredients I like such as a nice blend of a citrus accord and a woody-cedar finish. I do also love oriental notes though this does not possess that of course. I also like the fact that it is not sold in just any department store and that it is relatively expensive making it more exclusive. Although it is an "earthy" fragrance, when I first smelled a sample in a magazine my first impression was that of a well-dressed gentleman wearing a Rolex watch getting into a Jaguar. It has a pleasant high quality feel to it.

09th February, 2013

Robzrx7's avatar

Starts off a piney/orange peel thats very strong. It seems to alternate between the citrus notes and woody notes each time you get a whiff of it which is nice. I don't get any of the earthy mineral notes at all on my skin. I find a lot of similarities between TdH and Straight to Heaven. Like I said in my review of Straight to Heaven, Terre d' Hermes is what I imagine a hairy chested lumberjack wears outta the shower after a long day. If you're the hairy chested lumberjack type TdH is for you.

27th January, 2013