Negative Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Find out more about Terre d'Hermès by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

MJW77's avatar

There are a number of simple adjectives I like to be associated to the fragrances that I wear; sexy, masculine, fresh, clean, fruity, dirty, gourmand, or just plain old nice. None of these could be said of Terre D'Hermes, except perhaps, dirty - and not in a good way. To me it starts off smelling slightly orangey - one of my least favourite citrus notes and then settles down to a dirty, dusty fragrance. It reminds me of the smell of a dusty old road. I have sampled it numerous times and simply do not understand why this is so popular. Why would someone want to smell like this?! It simply fails all criteria by which I would judge a great smelling scent. My minimum expectation is to smell nice. Terre D'Hermes does not.

This should be thumbs down and not neutral!

28 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2010)

's avatar

I just find it very distasteful.

08 October, 2009

Aquatica's avatar

Wow, I do not understand what alternate universe this is where this can be the best fragrance...

I ordered a sample of this and the moment I sprayed it on it smelled like raid, bug spray, tick repellent etc. etc. etc.

One of the worst smells I have ever smelled in my life. I know smell is subjective but this stuff is truly horrible.

Great if you want to smell like you have a high grade bug repellent on.

17 August, 2009

ortho123's avatar

Dry orange. Dry dirt. What seems to inhabit this minimal landscape the most is hype and the fertile imagination of the wearer. Proof that less is not simply more but something like a mirage. Just keep saying "Jean Claude Ellena."

07 August, 2009

nvrlnd's avatar

This might be just be a horrible reaction to my skin chemistry, but to me Terre D'Hermes smells of three things:

- red dirt with heavy clay content
    - tomatoes, on the vine
    - stewed tomatoes in a can (with that metallic / minearlic tinge, maybe from the "flint" notes)

Now i'm pretty sure "tomato" isn't in their pyramid of notes, so I'm guessing this is the "pepper" notes hitting my nose horrifically wrong. And I get no citrus in this whatsoever, no amber, no vetiver. It's just clay, tomatoes, and a faint metallic tinge. As you might guess, I find this completely revolting. Albeit it has tempted me to rub some garlic on my other wrist and hang out in Gilroy, CA.

07 August, 2009

CoL's avatar

I just don't get the appeal of this at all. Its so dry it hurts my nose and its really very linear. Not that being linear is always a bad thing but this is just vile! Non pour moi!

04 August, 2009

Bigsly's avatar

This one is the antithesis of what I look for in a fragrance, so of course I can't give it a positive rating. As others have said, it's dry, austere, harsh, etc. I'd much rather not wear any fragrance than this. If you have never sampled this kind of fragrance, do not buy it "blind" because so many BNers like it. I just wonder where the thought that something like this should exist as a fragrance originated. Perhaps with a certain kind of skin chemistry this one might be acceptable, but on me it's got the "bug spray" note going in full force.

22 June, 2009

splashit's avatar

Silly rubber cap which sprays a silly smelling fragrance. The ingredients don't seem to go together at all. Musty weird smell. Not my cup of tea. Thumbs down in a big way.

18 June, 2009

Dany1985's avatar

Orange, cedar, cedar 'n more cedar.....whats the big deal????

25 May, 2009

nout's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I cannot believe the universal praise this fragrance gets.

The opening is ghastly, though fascinating in a macabre sort of way.
    A bitter sour orange is thrown at you, mixed with some woodsy tones.
    The sum of all the parts smells really synthetic, to me it smells what blue colored pastry would taste like (I never dared eating odd colorerd cake, so I am not sure)
    It takes a very long time before it settles into a quieter scent, so you have to get up early, say 3 hours before you leave the house.
    And when it finally has settled down, it smells very familiar to me: a somewhat softer DKNY men, honestly it smells almost identical.

Yes Terre d'Hermes is more complex than DKNY Men, which is a very linear scent, but I can live without the bitter orange splash.
    Anyone who likes the dry down of Terres d'Hermes should get a bottle of DKNY Men.

05 May, 2009

sharkface's avatar

Maybe this scent is a great example of skin chemistry but I think it's a clear example of how noses smell things differently. I smelled like exactly what I smelled on the card. Fast Orange Industrial Cleaner. It was over powering and it was the only note I got from this cologne. Not saying it's a smell I hate, it's just not how I want to smell. It certainly is not classy.

On the other hand, my girlfriend didn't mind it. She said it smelled citrusy but had a hint of something earthy and fresh. She didn't particularly care for it compared to other colognes I wear though.

I know a lot of people like this one but I do not think it's skin chemistry that makes it different from person to person. I think a lot of people smell this one differently, so having someone think I smell like rotting oranges on a park bench, cigarettes, dirt, gasoline or bug spray is not a gamble I really want to take. If this is what you decide to wear, you will smell like industrial strength cleaning solvent to me, and I don't think skin chemistry has anything to do with that.

23 March, 2009

Horatio's avatar

Footballers scent. Sits right at the back of my cupboard, alongside the Brut.

18 March, 2009

Justin Case's avatar

I went to Nordstrom today specifically to try this one on since I saw that it won the best men's fragrance award. Since the start, I could smell nothing but the geranium and a hint of orange. I was hoping for a burst of citrus like John Varvatos' Artisan or D&G's Masculine. I don't know if my nose is hypersensitive to geranium but I've had it on my wrist for over 3 hours so far and I still smell almost nothing but geranium. My mom loves geranium. I should introduce her to this one.

23 February, 2009

FLCounselor's avatar

For some reason I keep being drawn to these Ginger accords.

It often seems to catch my eye on the shelf. I put on some protection, I do it one more time, and I am disappointed again.

There is a reason this one seems to be the leading fragrance on the "For Sale" thread here on Basenotes.

I think it would be much more pleasant that if instead, someone could put Mary Ann in a bottle...

07 February, 2009

chris8519's avatar

I just don't get the hype. The scent never develops; from minute 1 to 1000 it's exactly the same: dirty orange synthetic gasoline.
    It does not jive with my skin AT ALL. I kept trying to come back to it, but I have never been happy with it.

While I was vacationing in France this winter, it seemed as if every other young guy passing by was wearing Terre d'Hermes. It got played out really quickly.

This scent might be cutting-edge and popular, but I cannot see it being in production for much longer.

01st February, 2009

Mapletop's avatar

Wow. Way too strong for me, it makes me sick. I can't get past the plastic/synthetic smell in this.

20th January, 2009

expat98's avatar

LOL, I can't believe this won the Best Fragrance for Men in the 2008 Basenotes awards! I recently found this site, and yesterday I made a list of fragrances to try based on the award winners. So I went to the Hermes shop this morning and decided to check this one out. It smelled good on the test paper, and also had an interesting citrus smell on my skin at first. Maybe 20 minutes after I sprayed it on I was sitting at a dining table waiting for my lunch to arrive with my chin propped up on one hand. I soon found myself thinking, "I smell insect repellant." I had to laugh when I remembered that I had sprayed on the Terre d'Hermes and realized that's what I was smelling! In my view, "expensive insect repellant" really is the best way to describe this fragrance. The color even matches!

18 January, 2009

SexPanther's avatar

How could anyone actually like this stuff! The guy below got it all WRONG this stuff does absolutely not smell anything like navel oranges! This crap just Flat Out Stinks!!! I had one girl tell me if I ever wore it around her she would PUKE!!! The actual smell of this poison is Pickles and Wet Naps! I bought this blindly due to the good reviews but I wore it once and it still gives me nightmares.

15 January, 2009

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Hi, hello, everyone - all around the World - concerned with scents!

It's my 1st. post here - helas I would prefer a positive one BUT regarding TdH I just cannot! IMHO - and of corse in my skin - it starts confusing, it goes dirt and it ends up so strongly oriental/spicy that reminds me the heavy religious church ambiance of my childhood - and it sticks so heavy in my skin that is impossible to wear. Of corse I must state that I found a curious similarity between perfums and Port Wine: being good or not good is not the point. The point is ONE'S CHEMESTRY and there are superb Port Wines (those aged...) that I my stomach can't stand, on the other hand there are young PW that I love (LBV's and Vintages, or even Vintage Character's) SO similar things happen with scents...!!!
    Sorry - can't stand Terre d'Hermès.

17 November, 2008

Ericks's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Well, how can I best describe this fragrance. Ok, bear with me, by a bag of navel oranges, making sure there are some over ripe ones included. Now peel all the oranges without worrying too much about the peel oil spraying on you (that's actually essential). Once done, don't wash your hands (or face, depending how close you peeled them). Let dry e voila, Terre d'Hermes. This will save you $50 and doesn't come with the additional desinfectant scent of the original.

30th October, 2008

Desmond Hume's avatar

Strong, peppery, overwhelming, nauseating, rotten, overrated frag ... you can choose.
    Want something fresh, natural, light, clean and from the Hermès-house?
    Buy Eau d'orange Verte!

19 August, 2008

ToughCool's avatar

I'm going to need a 3rd time for this one but so far it came off as STRONG, orange, peppery and overwhelming. Way too much and headache inducing. The second time I tried it it was a little better. Considering I like others that are allegedly similar I just don't get it. I definitely think this one could be one that grows on me later but right now, this is it.

07 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Huge, fat peppered orange peel to me. I don't enjoy being on the verge of sneezing all day. There is also no development and all there is is the bitterness of dirt. Since this gets gets so much praise I recommend you try this before buying.

12 June, 2008

bbobkc's avatar

Over ripe oranges floating in dirty semi spoiling milk. No way for me. I just don't see the fascination with this stuff.

20th May, 2008

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Y'all were right.
    Lime, lemon Pledge, and cigarettes.
    Not for me.

20th November, 2007

GeorgeBernard's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Very distinctive and original, but I don't like it at all.
    GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR wrote that it smells like a smoker who just peeled an orange, and that's a superb description!
    The combination of orangepeel and ashtray reminds me of the content of a garbage can. Sorry, but that's nauseating to me.

27 June, 2007

Kailash's avatar

Imbalanced. Reminds me of Baldessarini in that it has a nice base, but the damned citrus-fruit-candy hardly gets out of the way for me to smell much of it. And so I'll wear out my samples of both, on those days that I don't mind smelling like a silly fruit hiding a good heart.

12 May, 2007

castorpollux's avatar

As much as i tried to make friends with it , it just couldn’t happen.
    On my skin it almost felt like I was wearing some sort of household cleaning liquid, and not one that smells good.
    I appreciated the mineral notes in it but the rest seemed almost like been there done that and I truly felt that it didn’t bring too many new things into play.
    I guess it’s all down to personal chemistry, right?, I mean on my skin the top notes turned an acrid, very sour, pungent, even too aluminum like grapefruit, and I mean the white part of it not the juicy, less sour body of it.
    I was very discouraged about this one since I am a big Hermès fan, but hey, there are plenty of Hermès offerings that go very well with my skin and that I don’t like this one doesn’t make me less of a fan. A lot of times I like to be challenged and this time, fate had it that it was not for me. I still got a bottle of it, who says I can’t use it for air freshener or even for a gift.?

09 April, 2007

ryanm's avatar

South Africa South Africa

I tried this today, based on the positive reviews here, and came away rather nonplussed. It's both fruitier and sweeter than I expected. Unfortunately, it reminds me strongly of some gelatine type sweets ("candies" to the U.S. guys) I knew as a kid, which makes the whole experience a bit off-putting.

11th March, 2007

Serendeep's avatar

I sprayed a TdH tester on my wrist this past weekend at Neiman Marcus in Atlanta. While the scent was interesting there was a familiarity that I just couldn't place. The longevity and sillage were both strong. After about an hour, it dawned on me. The fragrance was very similar to ........ pickle juice! But not real pickle juice - more like the 'scratch and sniff' pickle scent I remember as kid (some game I had as a child had a bunch of scratch and sniff dots on it).

This one's not for me.