Reviews of Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Find out more about Terre d'Hermès by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Paul Atreides's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Like a thunderbolt - Godfather1- this is the scent that has evaded me. What can I say LUVVERLY. Intense on application, but what a serenade of notes on the settlement.I will not be without this.

01st January, 2011

ChristopherG's avatar

This is the first fragrance in a long while that made my eyes widen, and mouth say 'wow.. I must own this'. I'm not ashamed to say that my mother loves it just as much as I do, and often she will grab the bottle and use it herself.

Green/Brown, complex, perfectly blended. I love the opening so much, but even the dry down gives off the same vibe. I am on the hunt for fragrances that give me the same effect.

26th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2010)

yeager4772's avatar

A very unique scent. To me it is too much rainy, earthy and grassy. Orange presence is strong.
    It reminds me of a died tree that lies in a wood after a rainy day.
    Anyway I received lots of compliments when I wear this.

26th December, 2010

komak123's avatar

Poland Poland

Grapefruit orange ruggedness. Absolute Superhero scent. Not too many of them like this out there nowadays. However would not wear this to work - its drity, earthy side might make it boarder line offensive to some people.

26th December, 2010

Odile's avatar

To me this smells like a more masculine version of Dior Midnight Poison. Quite a bit heavier on the citrus but very similar in feel. I am a fan of Midnight Poison so I enjoyed sampling this. As a female I gravitate a bit more to MP, but I would still wear this one for myself if the mood struck (I also think men could wear MP). Ingredients seem quality - it's more distinctive and enjoyable than most of what's on the mass-market.

22nd December, 2010

sinodor's avatar

This stuff makes women wonder. What else do you need to know?

21st December, 2010

kpsunil's avatar

I am a freshman when it comes to this. After reading all the reviews, I have been sampling the usual from Sephora and getting the more exotic from perfumedcourt. Atleast on my skin, the middle note smells horrible. Rotten oranges. I won't wear this.

11th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 22nd December, 2010)

surge's avatar

I got a chance to smell this fragrance for the first time in the latest neiman marcus christmas book -- and I was blown away.
    I immediately ordered a small .42 fl bottle from amazon and I absolutely LOVE it.
    It's probably one of the best masculine fragrances I've ever had.
    It's amberish but not overwhelming -- has great longevity, and the drydown is awesome as well.

08th December, 2010

Dunx's avatar

I don't think it's really fair how great this smells.... Absolutely brilliant.

06th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 28th December, 2010)

suburbanites's avatar

This was a real surprise for me that I liked Terre D'Hermes despite an expectation I would not. The positives: It's very classic, not showy, not overbearing, just the right amount of sillage and longevity in the Pure Perfume. It establishes and maintains a rugged and masculine profile throughout the transformation from Heart to Base Note. The onset of Citrus/Orange quickly dissipates into a more subtle dry cedar with an almost linear metallic aroma becoming the core theme. The character of the scent is masculine, strong, and carries well. For a pure perfume, it's also at an accessible price point (200 ml for $196, 75 ml for $112). It maintains that character without a cloying feeling, and the profile against the skin is more one of cool steel than a warmer or richer fragrance. It's a Hermes that someone under 40 could pull off without trying to feel "stuffy".

The negatives: I don't enjoy it quite the same way as Equipage for my tastes, and the appeal skews younger. While the character is nice, it borders on being somewhat non-descript and very common to the 'light' and "Aqua de Everything" fragrances that dominate the market. Having said that, it's one I would still wear daily, and doesn't become as sharp and offensive as an Abercrombie & Fitch.

I would recommend minimally a try.

05th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24th July, 2011)

derekhazelfjmax's avatar

Unusual scent and it does get comments from others. It lasts for ages on the skin and can last for days on a jacket if you spray it by accident - this can be a bad thing!! A collegue of mine wears it all the time and when around him it can start to make you feel sick. I liked it when i first came across it but I sprayed it on my sons cuddly toy recently and it was there for days and days. Its just too much .

04th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th June, 2011)

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Simply remarkable!!!
    JC Ellena made a fragrance who will last forever...

The notes has a unique harmony and evolve to something amazing.

Thumbs always up!!!

04th December, 2010

rds87's avatar

Terre D'Hermes lives alone. At 5:30 each morning, he wakes up (without an alarm), fastens his robe, and walks barefoot across the hardwood floor to pick up the paper on his front porch. Before coming inside, he sweeps the dead leaves off the steps and shakes out the doormat. He coughs. Once inside, he walks into the dark kitchen, reaches into a cabinet and pulls out a canister of instant espresso. He fills a kettle with cold water from the faucet and sets it on the stove. While waiting for it to boil, he toasts two slices of rye bread until they are blackened, then scrapes a thin layer of orange marmalade on the surface. He bites into one corner and chews several times, then swallows. He prepares his cup of coffee—black—stirring it with a metal spoon. He takes out a hard-boiled egg from the fridge and coats it with stale black pepper (even though his favorite part is the chalky yolk). At the table, he opens the newspaper and reads the business section, chewing on the toast. He turns to the op-ed column, then the obituaries. After he is finished eating, he wipes the crumbs from the table and takes a cold shower. He gets dressed, carefully buttoning his shirt in the mirror. He puts on his tweed jacket and adjusts his tie. He lifts his left elbow and accidentally knocks over the potpourri bowl on his dresser. He spends several minutes carefully picking up the pieces, one by one, off of the rug and sets them back into the bowl. After combing his hair, he puts on his hat, switches off the lights, and walks out the door.

He drives 37 miles into downtown and parks on the street. He walks into the barbershop and asks for the usual straight-razor wet shave. He enjoys such shaves—the prickly feel of the badger hair brush on his cheek, the aroma of musky after-shave. He pays and leaves. After driving another several miles, he pulls into the parking lot behind the store and opens the front door with his key. He hangs up his coat and flips over the “closed” sign to “open,” then sits down in his chair behind the register. Business is slow, even for a used bookstore. A customer comes in and asks about a particular biography he does not have. Over the next six hours he chats with customers. People think he is intelligent and kind. An older woman asks him about his accent. After closing time, he drives home, changing radio stations occasionally. He is very alert at nighttime—vigilant, almost. He brushes his teeth even though he hates brushing his teeth. He goes to bed and stares out the window into the dark. He thinks about something, then he sleeps.

03rd December, 2010

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

King of all men's scents. Everything perfect. I can't imagine anything better than Terre D'Hermes.

02nd December, 2010

Lucy Fishwife's avatar

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the local vicar came into the bookshop I work in wearing this and I had to ask him what it was. It's lovely. Will be buying some for my husband, I should just add, before the whole vicar thing makes me sound weird.

04th November, 2010

REDDY's avatar

one of the best mens fragrance ever. i bought it on basis of MARC's review on you tube
    i think every body should try once in there life.

JUST TRY ONCE.

03rd November, 2010

LA DOLCE VITA's avatar

Argentina Argentina

I've had my first bottle of TDH since 4 months ago & I bought a 1.7 oz bottle because I thought it were very heavy to wear, but really it's very pleasant & I'm still wearing in spring. Great sillage, refined & VIP fragrance. In Argentina isn't very popular.
    My first impression when I've tried, it reminded me Giorgio Berverly Hills for man with citrics added.
    A new classic of the parfum industry.

03rd November, 2010

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I tried this yesterday and I loved it. I just ran into it by accident and I did not know it has been on the market for this long (most stores don't sell niche fragrances around here though). Also the fact that there is a pefume version of this is especialy suprising to me. You don't see that to often. I usualy don't go for citrus fragrances but this has something special. I can't seem to find the notes it lives up to the name. It has a verry "Terre" feeling to it. I find wood and other earth tones that with the fresh note come together vin a verry nice blend.

So, thumbs up from me guys. Go try it!!

29th October, 2010

Mr_B's avatar

Seriously, seriously masculine and very, very sexy.

This is a weird one for me: I love it but I don't know why. I usually go for lighter, citrusy fragrances but there's something in this that's addictive. I look like a loon smelling myself all day if I've sprayed some on my clothes. I haven't smelled anything like it but it's the next one on the buy list.

Longevity is just absurd.

26th September, 2010

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Very well achieved masculine creation by Hermes; clean, inspiring, zesty and woody...discreet but very long lasting; in my case best worn in autumn...thumbs up !

20th September, 2010

alvinnjoinerIV's avatar

Philippine Philippine

i've been trying this for two straight years during my holidays in HK at the lane crawford right across the pen. it smells better every year lol but still haven't pulled the trigger. maybe this year.

19th August, 2010

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Compared to classic stuff as Jicky this is plain crap. Orange peel on top, Vetiver plus screechy woody amber. Just a not to complicated starting accord and then after an hour or so endlessly fresh nondescript screem. Hideous all around.

18th August, 2010

Cse's avatar

Germany Germany

I love it, for men and women, a great flush, very, very special, Citrus, Orange, green and earthy, woods, herbs, fresh, elegant, bit sweet, not too.

happy smell, good vibrations, full of fantasy, optimistic and very original, modern and classic.

13th August, 2010

Brian_Towers's avatar

Already said, but Parfum edition is more natural reformulated and surpass this one.

06th August, 2010

Sunsetspawn's avatar

I did a search on the full review page for "scratch," because I thought this smelled like "scratch-n-sniff" pickles, and lo and behold, someone else had the exact same thought. And yet this forces me to wonder, "what is everyone else here on about?" And I know my sample isn't bad because I got the same vibe over a year ago with a tester at Nordies. I can't give this a negative because it is intriguing, and it never gives of a "offensive" vibe, but if I'm going to wear something peculiar, you can be damn sure I'm going to need to like it a lot.

As for the "notes," Terre d'Hermes is supposed to contain grapefruit, orange, cedar, and vetiver, among other things, right? Well, they're very well blended I guess, because only if I really try to imagine those scents do I ever actually think I smell them.

I got a similar harsh, bitter green, "formal" vibe from Green Water, but that's done entirely correctly.

26th July, 2010

Matahari's avatar

My mom bought me this for my birthday. A phenomenal scent, great longevity and sillage. Some people classify this as a summer scent but I think it would be better used in the fall or spring, maybe even winter. In the summer I find that it just dries up too quickly, your sweaty shirt will absorb a lot of the juice and longevity will take a hit (plus your shirt will smell like Hermes for days which is not necessarily a bad thing...)

It is very orangey but not in an aquatic or sour kind of way. Think of an orange peel mixed into a very sweet, thick syrup of honey. Very subtle notes of woods and spices are added to create some zest. If this was made into a food that's how it would probably taste like, honey mixed with sour-less oranges with a pinch of like cinnamon.

The only complaint I have with this fragrance is that I'm in high school and girls my age don't really appreciate this sort of scent in comparison to say.. Abercrombie Fierce. If you're in high school and looking for a compliment lure this is probably not the fragrance for you. Nobody really comments on it and if they do it's probably to say you put too much (1 spray on the neck, two sprays on the chest and/or vice versa is good enough). I had one friend comment that it smells Mexican which is weird but understandable.. It's a relatively strong fragrance in a decade full of aquatics. That being said, the aforementioned comment really shows that the younger crowd haven't learned to appreciate a wider range of fragrances outside of your run of the mill aquatics and citruses.

I give this fragrance an 8/10 just because I like it. It might have been higher had it only have more appeal for my crowd.

14th July, 2010

carmageddon's avatar

Dettol.. Anyone?
    Not something I would wear.

13th July, 2010

egoscentrick's avatar

Opens with a plastic-y orange candy note that sits unintegrated on top of the rest of the composition. The orange note never really seems to mesh with the skin. It also doesn't begin to integrate with the heart and base until well after an hour. The drydown is very pleasant and earthy, dusty and woody, and natural. On top of it, though, the contrast of the artificiality of the orange note never quite goes away. The orange almost "feels" sticky on my skin, and occasionally still wafts up, unintegrated, from the earthy base in a cloying way that I just want to stop. Unfortunately, I find this contrast to be unrefined. Too bad, too, because the base is really very nice, earthy and original.

10th July, 2010

LostArgonaut's avatar

I wouldn't be fair to call Terre d'Hermes merely a scent - it's abstract experience that gives me a glimpse of a Roman ruin and its dusty stones being baked in the sun.

Terre d'Hermes defies any definition for a fragrance - the citrus opening is fresh, yet complimented by its smoky accent. It's uniquely masculine, yet I can imagine it as a lady's statement piece. Being an "outdoorsy" type fragrance, Terre d'Hermes manages to be strangely elegant.

The dustiness (of the mineral accords) of Terre d'Hermes lingers throughout the whole story, which makes it linear, as some people find, and I personally am not a big fond of. Still, TdH is an exceptional fragrance that doesn't even come close to other mainstream scents out there. Now I can't wait to get my hands on the Pure Parfum edition!

09th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th January, 2011)

Conor's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

This is the single driest, thinnest, most austere fragrance I've ever tried. It's the smell of the Outer Party in Nineteen Eighty-Four; Agent Smith in The Matrix if you prefer. It opens with a shrill, bitter headache of herbaceous, woody and citrus notes, drying in the extreme.
    Just as suddenly as they appeared the opening notes float away and a slightly softer variation surfaces; lime juice is replaced with torn lime leaves, felled trees replaced with peeling bark. The acidity fades but the scent remains faceless, anonymous, as bitter as dandelion stems.
    This is not a sexy scent, it is barely even human. It is air conditioning, grey suits, white shirts, eyes turned downwards, tie clips and briefcases. If you want to really pull it off you must have no natural odour, must not use any other scented products, must not wear a leather jacket or any hair product and by no means whatsoever may you smoke.
    It is only in the eventual dry down that all the sharpened, herbaceous citrus is tempered by a faint powdery note of some description and it finally becomes a little closer-wearing and warmer. If you've lasted this far, congratulations: expect a sudden rapid rise in the ranks of your proletarian office job.
    Why the rating? I almost never wear this scent, and when I do half the time I wind up feeling more like a man in a robot costume than anything else, but it provokes a huge reaction from me every time and I can honestly say I wish I felt more comfortable with it on.

I think of it almost as the perfume world's equivalent of a shot of vodka. There is that eye-squeezing, ice-cold, razor-sharp punch that you soon forget about in the stark giddiness and eventual warmth that follow. Just a single note of honey or jasmine, anything warm and sweet and comforting, would have made this infinitely more human and equally more wearable - but maybe that would be missing the point.

07th July, 2010