Reviews of HypnŰse by LancŰme

Hypnose is my favorite Lancome fragrance. It's a quiet oriental; very transparent. The licorice tinged vanilla supported by soft florals smells uniquely modern, because it isn't a sweet vanilla. Rather any sweetness comes across more as warmth than sugar. Hypnose is one of those rare fragrances that feels appropriate anytime.
26th April, 2015
This one really surprised me! Had read so many horrible reviews of it over the years that I didn't even want to try it. But I finally did and oh my God, I am madly in love with Hypnose. On me it's quite linear and I'm glad it is....opens with the brightest, sparkliest passion flower and vanilla and Jasmine and stays bright, sparkly and gorgeous for a full five hours! This is addicting. Love it!
31st January, 2015
Salutation.

People smell the air for more when You wear HYPNOSE By LANCOME.It is the Perfect Representation of Lavish Style and Modern Shapes. You can feel Cozy and Comfortable when wearning it. Sweet,Romantic,Feminine,Vanillic, Sophisticated,Hypnotic,Warm and Undeniable Seductive.

An Audacious Fragrance that blends dazzling Oriental and Woody. Sweet opening like Caramel.The Heart is Charming and The base notes is a Rich and Heavy combination By Vanilla and Vetiver that sit Calmly,Radiation Warmth and Sweetness that i find to be quite Special.

Great for Every Romantic moment in a woman's life. when You wear it makes you feel Super Special.I definitely suggest it to a Elegant Lady between 30/40 Years old.HYPNOSE is also Suitable for AUTUMN/WINTER Eveninigs.it conjured up a Romantic Dinner for two by candlelight in my mind

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?It is one of the best part this EDP for me.

Thank You LANCOME.

16th October, 2014

Genre: Woody Oriental

HypnŰse take quite a beating from Luca Turin in Perfumes: The Guide, but I donít think itís all that bad. As a very sweet rose and vanilla floral oriental on an ambery foundation itís not all that original, but itís still an amiable, pretty , and entirely unpretentious little scent.

The rose and vanilla remind me of Maurice Roucelís Tocade for Rochas, but Tocade is a smoother and more elegant scent that leaves HypnŰse smelling crude by comparison. I think the fault lies in the quality of HypnŰseís florals. Theyíre just not as full, rounded, or nuanced as they could be, and in an arrangement this simple that tells.

HypnŰse projects quite a distance and leaves plenty of sillage, all to its advantage, as itís much more pleasant smelled from afar. Sniffed at close quarters the shortcomings of the floral accord are more obvious, and the sweet amber base notes have a cloying, chemical quality thatís far less evident at a distance. HypnŰse doesnít smell like a disaster to me, but there are certainly finer things to be found in this genre.
16th June, 2014
A very sensual and pleasant fragrance for an attractive woman!
It's a vanilla dominated fragrance, so if you don't like vanilla, stay away!
The vanilla in this fragrance is really pleasant and quality. it doesn't smell synthetic and cheap like some fragrances.
The opening of this fragrance is semi sweet and creamy vanilla scent mixed with very bright and light floral notes.
It's sweet but not too sweet and cloying! it's very smooth, creamy and sensual. very yummy scent!
In the dry down the smell didn't change that much, except very light vetiver note came in and gave the scent a little more character.
The smell has very light soapy vibe too, but it's weak and it's not a soapy fragrance.
The vanilla is the main note of this fragrance and everything is in the background.
Both projection and longevity is very good, but because of simple and linear vanilla scent you may get bored!
A quality feminine fragrance for vanilla lovers.
02nd June, 2014
The opening is nice and the passion flower and vanilla result is a sweet floral note that is very pleasant. There is a whiff of vetiver adding freshness, and also jasmine in the drydown. On my skin this is never really very heavy, but in the second half the vanilla really takes over and makes the last phase a bit boring. Not bad, though, with reasonable silage and projection, with five hours of longevity.
24th February, 2014
Hypnose by Lancome - the marriage of coconuty frangipani with peach provides a tropical sweetness which is nicely countered by a green jasmine. The sparkling top is nicely segued to the warm woody base with its sweet vanilla tempered with an earthy vetiver ... not particularly daring but pleasant and lovely nonetheless ... a well crafted composition ...
25th November, 2011
In the final dust of vanilla, amber and vetiver i detect something gummy (that reminds the bubble gum's artificial and colored juice), brash and bitter-dark may be because of a link of licorice, jasmine , sour citrus, passion flower and dry, purple, bitter-sweet fruits of the forest. The outcome is a powerfully soaring (the projection is nuclear), deliberately synthetic, sophisticated, †a bit exotic and †outrageous concoction that reminds me a bit some Lutens's fragrances (just in some of their features - exoticism, dry fruits and boise'-anyway) as A la nuit, Arabie and Fille en Aiguilles which are more natural and syrupy concoctions.The final vanillic purple outcome is slightly spicy and not particularly creamy in my perception. You can perceive till the end the woodsy temperament of vetiver and a touch of citrusy crispiness though plunged in a plastic fruity juice. The density is perceivable but just while inhaling the parfumed skin because in the air at distance the smell is powdery and averagely dense. We are not discerning the features of a masterpiece being this scent a synthetical, pungent (a bit crude) and chemically sophisticated fragrance of the new millennium but everybody can detect the experimental attempt to appeal the noses with something that deliberately stresses few tickling notes regardless for the meticulous combinations and balances of the most punctilious parfumer art.
28th August, 2011 (last edited: 29th August, 2011)
A generous SA gave me a big sample of this scent at Macys. I wore it yesterday and as soon as it hit my wrist I thought... Guy magnet. It was so pretty. Almost too pretty. In its initial application it was a delicate unusual vanilla but not too sweet. I thought I would need to have a bottle. Then the unfortunate happened. It turned sweeter and sweeter to the point of nausea. I hate orientals that are heavy handed with vanilla and sweet things. In fact I detest them. I couldnt wait to shower so I could ease my senses with something more dry and close to nature. My beloved Prada Infusion D'Iris.

But I will say that it could just be my chemistry. This may smell great on others. I have noticed that there is some similarity between Hypnose and Ange or Demon by Givenchy. But Ange or Demon is much more sophisticated and mysterious and doesnt have that overbearing sweetness.
05th July, 2011
I really enjoy this fragrance; however, I have the de Parfum, and it does not last very long on me. I probably won't purchase it again.
Jeanette
16th June, 2011
This is one vanilla-based fragrance which I find utterly breath-taking.

Hypnose is yummy and sweet without being overwhelming. This has no where near the same strength as Fantasy or Pink Sugar, to my nose this is light and much more grown up.

This is spicy, but only mildly so. Hypnose is mostly soft and slightly powdery vanilla, jasmine, passion flower, vetiver and bergamot.

I find this fragrance to be one of those scents that smell better on the skin rather than paper. On the skin it becomes very warm and soft, however on paper it can be rather sharp.

The lasting strength and sillage are good, but I must advise you all that this fragrance should not be over-applied. Hypnose would make a lovely fragrance for the colder months and special occasions, however I would wear this casually myself.

15th June, 2011
If Ghost designed cleaning wipes, they would doubtless smell like this: an utterly fake white floral-vanilla better suited for toilet seats and infant undersides. It's not a bad fragrance, per se, but it landed in the wrong sect of application.
21st April, 2011
I've had this perfume for about 2 years now. It is definitely one of my favorites. I enjoy wearing it any time of the day and for any occasions. And the bottle is absolutely gorgeous. I think it's perfect. I wouldn't want to change a thing about it. I'm going to buy myself another bottle when this one will be over.
19th May, 2010

Is anyone else getting mothballs? I am going to return to this after some more testng!
15th December, 2009
Asha Show all reviews
Lancome Hypnose EDP

Notes: Passion Flower, Sambac Jasmine, Solar Notes, Vetiver, Vanilla (from osmoz.com)

Hypnose starts with a quick blast of bergamot and tropical fruit notes, and quickly transitions into a powdery vanilla and white floral middle. There is a sweet and tart juxtaposition that is often found in feminine floral orientals of the same era--it is usually somewhat candy-like, although in Hypnose, this combination does not come across as particularly edible. Vetiver is listed in the notes, however, I do not smell anything that resembles the vetiver essential oils I have experienced. I'm pretty sure there is actually a cleaned-up vetiver and patchouli combination in Hypnose, because the fragrance has a kind of masculine "bite" in the base that is similar to other post-Angel floral orientals.. In fact, as I was catching whiffs of sillage today, I noticed that Hypnose has a kind of barbershop quality that I never noticed before. In contrast, up close, the overall impression is billowy sweet vanilla, as feminine as it could possibly be. The base continues with sweet, soft vanilla, a nondescript amber accord and the vetiver-patchouli. I know that Hypnose is not universally liked, but I have always found it very enjoyable. It is not quite as "girly" as some floral orientals, and pulls the Angel-like feminine-over-masculine structure down to an palatable level. Perhaps this makes Hypnose more bland, but it also makes it more wearable.
18th October, 2009 (last edited: 05th November, 2009)
Am I the only one that things that THE ONE by D&G smells very similar to Hypnose? I smelled The One first and until now I received a 5ml sample of Hyponse and I found the same notes: bergamot, vanilla... Both are very strong and "migraine-unfriendly"... but I can say that the mexican women loooove them.

It's a fragrance for a classic woman, with pencil skirt, stilettos, an executive job and attitude.

20th September, 2009
On the right individual, this fragrance is pleasant and inviting - sweet without being immature, sugary, thick, powdery, or overwhelming. It depends on your chemistry. I bought a bottle ( I am in my mid-thirties ) and after a dozen wearings, tired of how it broke down into a spiraling nightmare on me. So I gave it to my 60-something mother, thinking it might work on her, and it did. It is wonderful on her. She exudes brightness and warmth in a way that is appropriate for her age. On her I don't sense the tinge that used to make my nose crinkle on me. On her, I smell quite prominently the notes I used to have to bury my nose on my skin to get after a couple of hours. Try it. If it works, you'll be very pleased.
22nd March, 2009
To me, it's like licorice and aftershave. Very sexy, different. Very bold on me, very lasting. Gorgeous bottle. Better than most perfumes but still not amongst my top ten faves.
19th January, 2009
Very beautiful, very unique and interesting.
Do not expect anything floral though since the scents are very well blended you will not get that dominant floral note.
A spicy winter fragrance but a little too much for summer days.
07th January, 2009
I get why Lancome called it Hypnose. That first sweet sweet smell of Lilac stays a long time in a penetrant way. Its like a floral attack of just one kind of flower. After 30 minutes I like it better. But by then a powdery smell takes over which is not bad, but very young and so inoffensive. I guess its just not my taste.

Love the add with Daria Werbowy though.
13th December, 2008
It's a quite pleasant fragrance, but nothing marvelous on me. Just vanilla....Somewhat boring. And it didn't last very long.
05th December, 2008
I LOVE IT. the base tones are amazing. alluring. stuff that you'd want to create memories to
10th November, 2007
Hypnose had me instantly smitten, usually a sign that I will get bored quickly with a fragrance but not this time. Definitely the sweetest fragrance I own but there is a note in here (vetiver?) which tempers the sweetness just enough to make it wearable for me. I can also detect almond in Hypnose alongside the vanilla and passionflower. Love this for autumn/winter.
23rd June, 2007
nthny Show all reviews
I too was a little surprised. I imagined a brooding, darker, richer fragrance but this actually smells of innocence, a young girl, a delicate flower resting on a reassuring cloud of resinous vanilla. The first minutes reminded me a great deal of the uberfreshness of Gucci Envy, but that faded quickly to reveal a warmer, softer side reminiscent to my nose of Chanel Allure.
21st June, 2007
I had to wear this a few time in order to love it. The vanilla musky drydown works quite well with my body chemistry, making it smell sexy and comforting at the same time. I also like the tartness that gives this perfume a bite.
12th February, 2007
I wore this over the weekend and I really like it! It was warm and sweet, slightly mysterious and definitely inoffensive. I can see wearing this day or night and all year!
20th September, 2006
A floriental? Actually I think Body Shop's Altaro had more oomph for about 1/4 the price. Totally inoffensive vanilla. That's about it. Didn't get much vetiver, just a tad of passionflower for about 20 minutes. A good choice though for teens/pre-teens.
27th July, 2006
Before smelled it for the first time and based only on the name "Hypnose" and the oriental-woody family it belongs, I though this fragrance would be a very strong, dark, disco-night kind of parfum. Surprisingly, it has a very nice start with a fruity flowered note (passiflora flower... a "maracuja"???) and the base note is a very soft and sweet vanilla. It's very suitable for daytime and office use, even on summer time. Seems to be better aimed for a younger range of age, under 40 years old.
19th June, 2006
I wouldn't spend full-price on this when you can probably get it for $10.99 at CVS or something. I think it's a DEAD RINGER for Vanilla Fields by Coty, with the strong notes of vanilla and vetiver. I was so disappointed with this when I tried it on and it brought me back to how I used to spritz Vanilla Fields before I went to sleep as a middle schooler, circa '95. Although the notes do make a pleasant scent, I'm just sad that Lancome completely lacked originality on this one.
29th May, 2006
This scent is advertised as a floral-oriental which gave me the notion it would be a heavier complex mix...but not so! This is a simple, light blend of passionflower & vanilla absolut with an airy sort of vetiver base. In fact, it's the nicest & most wearable feminine vetiver I've ever had the pleasure to spritz! I really like it! It's classy, refreshing, subtle - extremely wearable in any temperature...I would highly recommend giving this one a try.
21st April, 2006 (last edited: 17th June, 2009)