Reviews of L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I agree with others whose reviews say this is a good "work frag". By the time I get to wherever I'm going, it has mellowed down, but still has enough of a presence to garner a semi-regular compliment from a colleague.

On me: It opens with candied ginger/tangerine peel/violet, and the sandalwood/coumarin develops... Then it lingers clean, woody, and a little ever-so-faintly salty on my skin, verges on sweaty.

I'm a sucker for tonka bean. Not enough tonka in this alone so I dose up with a few drops of Eden Botanicals tonka/FCO blend before I spritz. Does the trick!
18th May, 2016
It's original, a modern classic, but what does that mean? I've heard someone describe this as "safe" and I agree. It's pleasant without being enticing, unless you're a natural-born lady killer. It reminds me of being near water, without getting in, on a very hot day, because the sandalwood and ginger swelter so well together. If I were younger I would not wear this cologne, but if I knew a few things about... anything... I'm rambling, ultimately you have to put your own nose on it, get it in your clothes and see what happens.
12th April, 2016
Drkube Show all reviews
This is a beautiful fragrance. Very fresh and classy. Opens with a nice, fresh, floral/ginger that dries down to a warm tonka/wood.

It's very inoffensive so it's great for work or anywhere casual. Best suited for spring, summer, and fall.

Definitely one of my favorites, but the sillage and longevity is the downside. Becomes a skin scent quickly and doesn't last very long at all. Shame, because it smells very good.

Scent: 9/10
Sillage: Below Average
Longevity: Below Average
08th February, 2016

Clean, warm and comfortable. A great work scent. I do get a little of the feminine vibe from this but it smells so good on me, good enough for a signature fragrance. Great sillage at first then gets close to the skin. A crowd please that does receive compliments in the early stages of wearing.
28th January, 2016
Excellent fragrance for young guys. Fresh floral made masculine by the addition of ginger and vetiver and smoothed out by the slightest pinch of Tonka bean. Lasts and projects just fine on my skin.

Yes it smells similar to other men's fragrances, but it also smells of much higher quality and use better.

There are several comments below that confuse the elegant softness of this fragrance with femininity. But in perfumery, femininity refers to the use of certain floral accords that are not present in L'Homme. The ginger and Vetiver are decidedly masculine.

16th January, 2016
CMac17 Show all reviews
Soon after I sprayed this cologne on, I was immediately hit by the ginger, which I must say I am quite partial towards. It's a classy fragrance, but not a typical "masculine" fragrance. I found it to be quite unisex in a good way. It starts with nice hints of citrus and ginger, but these fade rather quickly, leaving me to wish they were there for longer (though notewise this may be an impossibility). I say this because after these notes left into the ether, what was left wasn't very special at all. Certainly a nice fragrance, but nothing that left me thinking "wow, I want to wear this again." To me, the scent is reminiscent of Versace Eros with a woodsy addition. However, it did not have nearly the same sillage as this scent. My friends couldn't even tell that I was wearing cologne!

Though I like how this started, the ending of this fragrance left me wanting something more, and the lack of sillage makes this fragrance nice, but able to be passed over.
25th December, 2015
Calvin Klein's Escape in a funkier bottle.
31st October, 2015
If you were to put blindfold me and walk in front of me with this fragrance on, I couldn't guess whether you're male or female. I can't for the love of me understand why YSL had to put the "l'homme" label on such a unisex smell (almost bordering on female).

L'homme starts with a fresh, sparkling mix of bergamot and ginger that nicely bounce off each other for around 30 minutes before settling into a semi-spicy mix of lavender leaves, white pepper and tonka bean. Less than an hour in, the final stages appear that mostly consist of a pleasant-yet-stereotypical amber/tonka bean/cedar wood skin scent.

Even though it is not revolutionary, I have to say L'homme is inoffensive and smells very warm and pleasant to those around you (if they can catch a whiff of course). You can use it all year round as it has a particularly fresh/spicy feel to it. But I wouldn't recommend it in the hotter days of the year.

To a casual nose, this juice smells like a lemony, spicy mix of ginger followed by a very powdery smell. I'd mark this one as unisex because my sister uses it as well and it really suits a female as much as male. I'd easily go as far as saying that it smells more feminine than masculine to my nose due to the powder in the final stages.

L'homme becomes a skin scent around 20-30 mins after applying. It's one of the shyest fragrances I've tried. Seems like even thinking about it or looking for it on your wrist or clothes causes it to disappear into the ether but when you're not searching, it occasionally surprises you with a pleasant whiff. Although I have to say Longevity is much better than what I expected from a skin scent at around 5-6 hours.

Great for all occasions, formal or informal without running the risk of getting cloying, YSL L'homme is a safe bet when it comes to smelling pleasant all year around. Those around you will definitely enjoy what they smell but you'll need to get pretty close for them to feel anything at all.

This well blended juice is for the man totally in touch with his lighter, feminine side and pretty suitable for the ladies as well; although nothing ground breaking about it.

SILLAGE: Weak
LONGEVITY: 5-6 hours
24th September, 2015 (last edited: 03rd October, 2015)
One of the classiest scents I can think of. I'm almost definitely too young to be wearing it (22), but i can't help appreciating this modest, androgynous mixture. Floral, creamy, oriental, and perhaps metallic. Currently on my second bottle at the request of my girlfriend.
23rd September, 2015
numcks Show all reviews
A yawn, a nice yawn, but a generic copy of copies nonetheless. Vaguely fresh, spicy, fruity, woody, with that ubiquitous late 90s-2000s era chord present in so many celebrity (MJ Flight and Carlos Santana come to mind) and "fresh-spicy scents - Boss Bottled also rings a bell. Perfectly nice, safe olfactory sedative.
23rd August, 2015
Gold metallic powdery with light shining amber base. Good in warm weather. Can dry down to a cheapish-hollow feeling.
20th June, 2015
Salutation.

When i test it the first time,I really feel Inlove with this Scent and I bought A Cute bottle.Simply EXCELLENT.

This modern fragrance is a combination of Sweet and Fresh notes.Specially in the begining.The Ginger makes L HOMME a really INTERESTING scent.

Masculine and Elegant in a Modern way.I think A helpful Fragrance as Perfect for both Everyday Wear as well for Evenings out!suitable for AUTUMN.

Longevity&Sillage?Are both Good which makes this cologne worth the money.

7.75/10
09th June, 2015
I can’t say I hate this, but this is surely the duller and blander YSL fragrance for men I’ve ever tried, together with the other couple of flankers they made out of this. It isn’t bad, the quality seems to me mildly good, and if you’re looking for a safe unpretentious gift for a non-fan of fragrances to wear all day long, all year round, this would be a nice choice with a decent price for the value. It’s a fresh, unobtrusive ginger-citrus-woody fragrance playing some aromatic fougère chords but with a decided “younger” vibe, focusing on sweet woods and spices (Envy for Men), and fresh-aromatic notes, with a conventional note of soft violet. Mellow and polished, sweet and boringly fresh, kind of “young” and if I got the term correctly, kind of “bro” too – the smoky-fruity sweetness, the extreme linearity, the overall dullness (but maybe bros need bombs? This isn’t, just in case). Miles away from what once was a mature and classy brand delivering delightful fragrances like M7 or Rive Gauche, they seem now more aimed at 20-something in need of boosting their sex agendas. Not bad as I said, but nothing really special.

09th May, 2015

YSL LH is a nice, if not common scent that really does not distinguish itself in any way. It's a spicey wood scent that is soft on the spice (ginger) and on the wood. Unfortunately, ever time I have tested or worn this fragrance the performance has been decidedly terrible. This may be the weakest designer fragrance I have ever tried. On cold days, I could only get 1hr of longevity, but on warmer days it might go 2 hours. YSL LH also becomes a near skin scent after barely 10 minutes form application. I much prefer Dior's Homme Sport, which is similar in it's use of ginger, has some compelling and interesting base and heart notes and has significantly better performance. An easy Thumbs Down....

13th March, 2015 (last edited: 15th June, 2015)
Although I give it thumb up, I am disappointed with its projection after this heavenly opening....there I thought I found the perfect fresh powdery perfume for spring,autum and maybe summer, its mouth watery sweetness with some foodie notes!
then turns to something very very subtle that I need to stuck my nose on my wrist to smell,I used more than 4 bottles of it cause I like a lot the opening, but I had to bath with it (more than 10 - 15 sprays ) to get some acceptable projection and I mean that can someone close to me smell it after the first 1-2 hours,longevity is good but only within 10cm distance projection.
I had the same problem with L'Instant which I also like a lot.
06th October, 2014
I'm surprised to see how many people here don't notice the similarity between this and Nuit, it's very obvious to my nose. The big difference is that L'Homme has none of the fruitiness of Nuit de l'Homme. This almost smells like a generic "base" cologne and Nuit is the finished product. The assertions that this cologne lacks some character is true in my opinion, if only just because I was such a fan of Nuit. I definitely got a strong note of apple right off the bat which was interesting but once that faded away it became a pleasant, light, unobtrusive scent. Definitely the kind of thing you'd want to wear if you want to smell good but you don't want to stick out because of it. This is the kind of thing you'd wear at an interview for someone you don't know who may or may not be very personable, and may or may not judge every detail about you, including your cologne. It was nice and long lasting on my skin, I can still smell it ten hours later (much like Nuit which lasts similarly long on me) but I had to use more sprays just to get an idea of the smell in the first place. All in all I don't think I'll be getting a bottle, Nuit is definitely much better, but it's quite good for just a plain old cologne.

I debated between thumbs-up and neutral and figured I'd go with thumbs-up just because of the longevity on my skin (which admittedly typically holds scents pretty long).
24th August, 2014
L'Homme by YSL has been one of my favorites since it was introduced. I love the soft sweet spices, especially in the dry down. It is not offensive or loud. I do smell the ginger in this fragrance when first sprayed. I wear it to the office now and then and I always get compliments. I also wear it at night and I get the same compliments. Always a winner no matter what time of day it is.
22nd August, 2014
Distinct and handsome despite claims of confused critics. Exceptional from start to finish. Cedar, tonka, ginger - it's all here. Polarizing and perfect. 4.5 out of 5
09th August, 2014
Oh how I love the ginger in this fragrance. The standup guy in this one.
30th July, 2014
Genre:Woods

L’Homme engages the nose with a sweet spiced bergamot accord that’s refreshingly smooth, balanced and natural. The spices move forward and differentiate as L’Homme develops, with bright ginger and a soft nutmeg at the head of the line. The fruity aspect of the opening bergamot remains in place for some time, but the gently rounded vetiver and tonka accord that spreads out beneath it enriches the scent’s midsection beyond mere eau de Cologne.

The basil in the pyramid takes longer to emerge than I expected, and once it does it remains a well modulated accent on the bergamot rather than a bold, independent statement. This may be for the best, since basil expressed in isolation on my skin can leave me feeling like a well-dressed salad. (As in Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier’s intriguing but unwearable Baime.) The combination emanates a clean “fresh” vibe without employing any of the stereotypical “fresh” aquatic notes that are the current staple in men’s perfumery. L’Homme projects well from the skin without being distractingly potent. It also leaves a nicely judged cloud of light sillage in the air, so its presence remains felt in the wearer’s absence.

Where L’Homme begins to lose me is in the early drydown, which settles into a fuzzy, overly sweetened, powdery cedar structure that is at once a bit cloying and thoughtlessly overexploited in mass market scents for men. I give Yves Saint Laurent credit for executing this formula with more taste and subtlety than usual, but it’s still a disappointingly commonplace gambit. All the more so given that no less than three highly talented noses worked on L’Homme’s composition. (Or is it that fragrances are like film scripts: multiple author credits mean a desperate patch-up job?) While the Flipo/Ropion/Wargnye team deserves points for their masterful use of basil and ginger – both tough to handle convincingly - I keep wanting more out of the scent’s final hours.
09th July, 2014
Easy thumbs up. Easy blind buy for anyone. Very light, masculine fragrance. I also own La Nuit, and it's great too, but L'homme to me is more of an every day type of scent.

Get lots of compliments when wearing this. My GF loves it. I prefer it in the cooler months, as I wear GiT / Aventus when it's hot out. I would definitely consider this a must have for anyone's collection. Just a solid scent.
04th July, 2014
If this fragrance would were a boy it would be one of the popular guys at school, but definitively not the one girls dream about. Amiable but not charming, easy on the eyes but not particularly handsome, solid B student with a good future as a cost accountant. He would play in the football team but wouldn't be the quarterback. It's one of those faces on the yearbook you tend to forget after a few years out of school.

Don't get me wrong. You can smell the quality and craftsmanship that went into the fragrance, it's very balanced and smells very good. But it just feels like it's a bit too shy to the point where it fails to make a statement. It's nice in that blend-with-the-furniture kind of way.

The bottle is beautiful, more than the fragrance itself I'd say.
16th June, 2014
I bought a bottle of this when it was new and have regretted it ever since. I can see what attracted me to it - that bright ginger over nondescript sweet herbs and stuff. But it's all drenched in that chemical that makes everything smell like bleachy rubbing alcohol.

And it was immediately after this that I discovered better quality perfumes, ones that smell distinctive instead of commonplace. So I guess L'Homme exists in my mind as a symbol of what I grew out of, so perhaps I judge it harshly, but really... It's precision engineered to smell like everything else at the mall. It does that well, but I no longer think that's something to be proud of.
16th April, 2014
To me this is one of the best fragrances out there..I do not understand the hype about la nuit de l'homme...when I tried this one at the shop the lady who works there even told me that this one is way better and i couldn't agree more.
17th January, 2014
Tony T Show all reviews
The Subtle Gentlemen

La Nuit and Libre easily outshine this by miles. slightly fruity opening and then light veviter. I see Tonka bean listed but do not detect it. not for me. lasts about 2 hours.. Did I mention La Nuit and Libre are much better than this??

Pros: Ok smell
Cons: nothing special-does not last long-not even medium"

21st August, 2013
a negative review<p><p> creamy and generic, a mass market scent!<p><p>Pros: none
Cons: generic"</p>
13th August, 2013 (last edited: 11th December, 2013)
Outstanding fragrance for any time of the year

The start of this fragrance is a beautiful mix of citrus, ginger and, I swear I get this, apple. I know its not in the list of ingredients, but I swear I get it. After about 30-40 minutes, the citrus and apple notes fade and I get a nice vetiver mixed with the ginger. It last a good 8 hours on me and the projection is great where I live, which is very hot and humid during the summer months. Great overall scent.

13th August, 2013
Polite fragrance with character.

This fragrance to me is as a perfectly well- mannered gentlemen who has a character and personality but who also is very aware of his surrounding and does not want to offend anyone. Thus he keeps it neutral and positive for everybody but nevertheless exposes his unique personality. Very sophisticated yet very warm and inviting fragrance. In my mind- i can smell this in cigar lounge. Gentlemen who smoke would possibly wear this scent best. Pressed charcoal suit, cigar and L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent. That is how I picture it. Please forgive me if it is silly.

22nd May, 2013
It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't wow me either. It may be unique, or even forgettable...but I believe for the price of it(it doesn't tend to go on sale), there are far better fragrances to devote your cash too. I do know it's fairly mild, and didn't project really for me at all whenever I've tried it on at stores. I don't need to buy it, but if it was a gift, I might have it in my wardrobe, let's just say that.
11th May, 2013
This juice starts very fresh, and you might get the first impression that it smells very cheap and generic (same pattern applies with Live Jazz) but you need to wait for it to unravel it's beauty, because this is a beautiful fragrance even though it's a best-seller and mass-market, people that have a lot of experience with fragrances tend to dismiss a popular fragrance because "the general idea of a fragrance it's not good".

The journey of this fragrance after the top notes is composed of a "green zone" which lasts for another 20 minutes then the beautiful drydown tonka bean is released.

This is amazing for hot humid weather because of it's small sillage and projection, and the longevity is fairly 5-6 hours for me and close to skin, which is a must for me in warm days.

I also bought the after-shave lotion for this, and it is very fresh, high quality, and the smell lasts resonably on my skin. Good juices

I also like his younger brother La Nuit de l'Homme, definitely top-notch fragrances.
07th May, 2013