Neutral Reviews of L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre:Woods

L’Homme engages the nose with a sweet spiced bergamot accord that’s refreshingly smooth, balanced and natural. The spices move forward and differentiate as L’Homme develops, with bright ginger and a soft nutmeg at the head of the line. The fruity aspect of the opening bergamot remains in place for some time, but the gently rounded vetiver and tonka accord that spreads out beneath it enriches the scent’s midsection beyond mere eau de Cologne.

The basil in the pyramid takes longer to emerge than I expected, and once it does it remains a well modulated accent on the bergamot rather than a bold, independent statement. This may be for the best, since basil expressed in isolation on my skin can leave me feeling like a well-dressed salad. (As in Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier’s intriguing but unwearable Baime.) The combination emanates a clean “fresh” vibe without employing any of the stereotypical “fresh” aquatic notes that are the current staple in men’s perfumery. L’Homme projects well from the skin without being distractingly potent. It also leaves a nicely judged cloud of light sillage in the air, so its presence remains felt in the wearer’s absence.

Where L’Homme begins to lose me is in the early drydown, which settles into a fuzzy, overly sweetened, powdery cedar structure that is at once a bit cloying and thoughtlessly overexploited in mass market scents for men. I give Yves Saint Laurent credit for executing this formula with more taste and subtlety than usual, but it’s still a disappointingly commonplace gambit. All the more so given that no less than three highly talented noses worked on L’Homme’s composition. (Or is it that fragrances are like film scripts: multiple author credits mean a desperate patch-up job?) While the Flipo/Ropion/Wargnye team deserves points for their masterful use of basil and ginger – both tough to handle convincingly - I keep wanting more out of the scent’s final hours.

09 July, 2014

themaninthesuit's avatar

If this fragrance would were a boy it would be one of the popular guys at school, but definitively not the one girls dream about. Amiable but not charming, easy on the eyes but not particularly handsome, solid B student with a good future as a cost accountant. He would play in the football team but wouldn't be the quarterback. It's one of those faces on the yearbook you tend to forget after a few years out of school.

Don't get me wrong. You can smell the quality and craftsmanship that went into the fragrance, it's very balanced and smells very good. But it just feels like it's a bit too shy to the point where it fails to make a statement. It's nice in that blend-with-the-furniture kind of way.

The bottle is beautiful, more than the fragrance itself I'd say.

16 June, 2014

That Guy's avatar

I just recently sold my bottle of L'Homme. It's a beautiful scent, but it's just a little boring to me. Even with that though, I can still appreciate the quality of the scent itself.

It starts off with an apple cider note with some cinnamon, and then the ginger eventually makes itself known. After a bit, the notes blend really well, and it just becomes a sophisticated scent with a metrosexual touch. It projects for an hour or two, and then the performance really suffers after that.

It's a quality scent, but as I mentioned, it's unexciting and lacks in the performance department. However, if you're looking for an extremely versatile scent that almost everyone around you will enjoy, you really can't go wrong with L'Homme.

Star Rating: 4/5
    Bottom Line: Sophisticated, high-quality designer fragrance that is just a bit boring with less than desirable performance

23 May, 2014 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2014)

lespritz's avatar

It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't wow me either. It may be unique, or even forgettable...but I believe for the price of it(it doesn't tend to go on sale), there are far better fragrances to devote your cash too. I do know it's fairly mild, and didn't project really for me at all whenever I've tried it on at stores. I don't need to buy it, but if it was a gift, I might have it in my wardrobe, let's just say that.

11th May, 2013

BRM85282's avatar

I had heard quite a bit of hype about this fragrance, and I really wanted to like it. I found it to be a little too sweet for my taste. I can absolutely see this being somebody's signature scent for work during the spring, but it's just not for me. It's very easy on the nose, but there is something about it that seems like a more sophisticated version of Diesel Fuel for Life. It had surprising longevity for me, but the projection was a little weak. For some reason it feels a little dated, like something I would have worn in the 1990s.

26 April, 2013

bFlay's avatar

I own and really like both YSL L'homme Libre and L'Nuit HOMME. Unfortunatey, this one lacks the character of the other YSL frags. Powdery opening with a stale ginger note barely discernible that fades too quickly. After 45 minutes, this is just a light talcum and vanilla scent that presents as feminine. Lasts about 4-5 hours on skin. (UPDATED 4/29/2014) After having the sample of this for several months, I find that it is nice. Just nice. My neutral rating still stands and I would not pay the premium price for a full bottle of this. It just isn't exciting, doesn't project, doesn't last.

12 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2014)

synthetic's avatar

Not terrible but not particularly good either.
    I can understand what YSL were attempting here but on my skin this just turns weird. The ginger note goes kind of damp and then within 4 hours its gone and replaced with a very tame citric sweetness that while nice is very dull.
    This scent isn't meant to be loud or obnoxious, but rather a something one would wear to work or something.
    Its brother La Nuit is even more controversial and in my eyes, the better purchase.

05 July, 2012

Hermex's avatar

Pleasant and inoffensive. Smells very generic to me, like a nice antiperspirant or fabric softener. Fresh and pretty, no mystery. You might say that it's restrained and perfectly integrated, but I say insipid and commercial.

18 June, 2012

OnLyTNT's avatar

Opening is similar to it's brother La Nuit, lack of the boozy note, citrus blast and of course cardamom is there. Middle notes are floral and very very similar to Azzaro Chrome, just a bit more intense and sweet. Progression is very quick on me. In 30 minutes drydown happens: sweet, creamy base and just a bit of violet leave (or something else green) left... Wait a second, think think think....Paco Rabbane Ultraviolet Man, yeah drydown smells like Ultraviolet Man.

On me, projection and longevity was not good like all other fresh fragrences in the market. Actually, I dont think it's drydown is fresh because of the sweetness. I stay neutral about this.

13 February, 2012

nikitary's avatar

Mellow, sweet-ish, but definitely not very sweet. Some spices, citrus etc. Very well rounded and reasonably complex. Unfortunately for me, it is kind of forgettable. I will try it again some time later, but for now - it is what it is.

09 January, 2012

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

The significant difference between this one and it's flanker La Nuit is that La Nuit has great projection and longevity, whilst this one doesn't. It turned out to be quite shy on my skin, I'd rate it thumb up if it weren't so.

25 December, 2011

Darvant's avatar

If i wish to reach a similar outcome (i mean a sense of dynamism, fresh, aromatic and slightly ozonic subtle cleanliness)  i prefer to wear Eau de Rochas Homme which is in the same vein although turns out as a different beast. L'Homme is not that kind of fragrances i use to love and even if i'm looking for a  distinguished light, crisp, slightly airy and floral  kind of fragrance i deflect towards Lords, Blenheim Bouquet, Eau Savage, Grey Flannel, Canali Men or Imprinting. Yes, i know, the combination of synthetic tonka and violets produces a sort of final warmer, slightly powdery effect in the dry down but the juice turns out basically airy and light for the main part of its evolution. L'Homme is not an orrible juice in my opinion and i don't smell it particularly synthetic in comparison with the current trend widespread in the universe of the designer fragrances; the problem is that this fragrance is a bit boring, nothing else than a fresh aromatic scent slightly floral and boise'. The airy ozone-ginger chord is initially sparkling and soaring but is not the breeze of Sel de Vetiver or Vetiver de Java. The violet leaves usage is moderate and well appointed while i appreciate the aromatic barely sweet and green effect of basil flower. The dry down is effectively the best part with its barely powdery, violety and musky link of vetiver, ambergris and tonka. Some spices enhance the masculine trait of the base. It reminds me a bit Canali Men which is a far more complex aromatic-floral with a woodsy-ambery slightly smokey dry down. Surely far, far better than the plastic La Nuit de L'Homme. Discreet and delicate.

03 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 August, 2012)

Redbeard's avatar

I remembered this one being mind-numbingly boring, and it definitely has that set of notes required to be a typical Eau de Macy's. It starts out as a pleasant lightish wood scent, almost as light as Canali but not as transparent. There's a little bit of anise, but not enough to bother me. Unfortunately, the wood soon begins to get fruitier. Once again we're back to the standard overripe bananas and faux-watermelons that I always complain about because they bug the hell out of me. Not that they aren't still sharing the space with a reasonable amount of wood, but the focus has shifted away from where I want it. I believe that violet is also present, contributing a growing tinge of surreal purple florals to the unnecessary sweetness. The honeyed amber base isn't quite powdery or spicy enough to remind me of the family of supersweet niche scents that I dislike, but it's still just a bit too overbearing. I can't quite hate this fragrance, but I should probably just move on to more interesting and less synthetic ones. Overall, it's very surprising for a house whose previous releases are each so unique and distinctive.

27 April, 2011

silentrich's avatar

Smells like ginger and well ginger. To my nose this and IZOD smell quite a bit alike. IZOD is more aquatic in nature, but not by much. Not impressed by this at all and it's a very generic fragrance. Pass.

22 April, 2011

MOONB's avatar

L'Homme missed its release date by seven years. It smells as though it should have been introduced in 1999, the same year as Allure Homme, to bring competition to Chanel. The similarities to my nose are astounding. Although L'Homme lacks the Chanel's allspice oomph, its tonka bean parity lends the same warmth and sweetness found in both scents. Unlike Allure, L'Homme is cooler, with more generous citrus and synthetic herbal components (the ginger and basil?) in its top. I'm certain that, like the labdanum in Allure, the violet leaf in L'Homme is present but dialed back. The composition is slightly sharp, a little hollow, and altogether sweet. The fragrance grows warmer and increasingly powdery with time. It is pleasant, and could be the perfect "signature scent" for the discreet male. However, for this kind of thing, I'd stick with Allure Homme.

20th February, 2011

TropiRock's avatar

YSL L'Homme, as mentioned by many others, is uninspired and very generic. It isn't an unpleasant fragrance, but completely forgettable. Someone in an earlier review mentioned similarities to Azzaro Chrome and I agree. Fruity, flowery and too sweet for my taste. I realize a lot of folks like the current crop of modern colognes, many of which are done in the same vein as L'Homme, so I think a neutral rating is as fair as I can be.

26 January, 2011

manicboy's avatar

If you're looking for what's wrong with masculine perfumery these days, look no further than L'Homme. YSL has a track record for producing high quality and excellent men's frags like no other perfumery house in the universe. Rive Gauche PH, Kouros, M7...I could go on and on about their past glories. When one bought one of YSL masculine frags, you could not go wrong. And you could always find them for a good price to boot. Pure heaven! Sadly it seems that YSL have succombed to the almighty dollar and became much like every other house on the street - boring. And that's pretty much L'Homme in a nutshell. Generic and forgettable, a cologne to blend in with the masses. At least the bottle looks cool.

23 July, 2010

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

A terrible generic opening for a very nice drydown.

14 June, 2010

DanielMunoz's avatar

It's pretty interesting with this crisp, slightly aldehydic quality. Wish it could have been a little less sweet though

10th June, 2010

mjcr's avatar

My relationship with YSL L'Homme is the story of my journey into the world of fragrance. I was bought this collectively by my wife and mother for my birthday when it was first released in 2006. I immediately liked it. I loved the bottle with its industrial steel cap and its Bauhaus simplicity. I also liked the fragrance very much as it was pretty much all I knew back then. Fresh was best. That's how a man should smell I thought. Trying to capture that 'just out of the shower' feel as Tania Sanchez puts it rather witheringly. Now that I have delved deeper into the world of perfumery and as I have matured from my 20s to my 30s my tastes have changed.

For a while I hated L'Homme but in reality I realised that I wanted to hate it rather than actually truly disliking it. I haven't come full circle and I still think it is an average fragrance that says little and inspires even less. But I don't think by any means it is a bad perfume. The slightly spicy fresh opening that heads down into a good dollop of vetiver is very pleasant indeed. I cannot imagine anyone recoiling from L'Homme in horror. But that is perhaps its downfall. There's nothing to strongly object to yet nothing also to truly love. I'm wearing it now on this very warm early summer evening and it is very refreshing. But I require more from my fragrances than just to freshen me up nowadays. A quick shower and blast of some cheap deodorant will do that.

I still think that this is leaps and bounds ahead of so many other 'fresh', 'sporty', 'citrus' mens fragrances on the market today, and leagues better than almost any 'summer edition' flanker. I can't really recommend L'Homme but I do admire it YSL's marketing campaign very much. The bottle, the box, the whole image construction is expertly executed to appeal to aspirational modern twenty-somethings. If I was still in that category I would probably buy it all over again.

23 May, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

I gotta say that L'Homme is to get thrown into the big pile of citrus/aquatics, along with Versace Pour Homme, Acqua di Giò, etc. L'Homme is good stuff, but so are several others. I'm sticking to Kenneth Cole Reaction, Riverside Drive, Cool Water, and Green Irish Tweed instead.

15 March, 2010

Pontifex Maximus's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

This is a better and lighter version of Dolce & Gabanna's Pour Homme. A pretty dull fragrance for a house that made some of the most interesting fragrances around...

13 March, 2010

gmoney's avatar

Newbie here with his first rating!

YSL L'Homme is the first cologne I've ever purchased. It was my first time at the cologne counter and I had no idea what I was looking for. I looked at certain forums and it said that ladies go crazy for this one. Glad to be part of basenotes, many reviews here help me what to look for in a fragrance, I learn a lot from them. Long story short, I smelled this at the counter, and I liked it. The longetivity on my skin is excellent. This cologne is pretty potent, 2 sprays will last you a significant amount of time. After a while, I find this scent a little too powdery, so I won't wear this at work anymore. Great for a night on the town though.

05 March, 2010

CharlesB's avatar

Overall I like the L'Homme, though at this time indifferent to it. It has an nice mix of smells, that give it texture. The only thing is that I consider the opening too sweet and thus too feminine for my tastes. I'm not a fan of overly sweet fragrances, some sweetness is fine but this one is a bit too much more my tastes. On top of this there is a strong soapy smell that I also don't like. Maybe with more time I will change my mind.

17 February, 2010

Romantic Warrior's avatar

Reminds me of CK Euphoria...ok but not great.

16 December, 2009

PorkFat's avatar

L'Homme is really a love it or hate it deal. I find it sharp, almost metallic and unpleasant. The bright citrus, herbal basil and violet and the tonka all clash to my nose. I think I will sum it up in verse:

Not the most terrible fragrance in the land
    Although it is rather boring and bland
    Totally unlike every other YSL offer
    Smells like something from Azzaro's discount coffers

07 September, 2009

warlandsboy's avatar

A rather pleasent, inoffensive scent which has a refreshing opening but settles down into a slightly sweet yet subtle aroma. Could be used as an decent body spray, but I don't see it as being all that powerful. As others have said there's nothing wrong with it, which is where the problem lies. May be a crowd pleaser, but I was hoping for a little more...

05 September, 2009

ortho123's avatar

Wow, this one is really inoffensive! And I can spray it all over me! Just keep spraying and paying.

A neutral since a positive results in a stress fracture or even carpal tunnel syndrome. Ginger to go with your sushi.

19 July, 2009

Cougartown's avatar

Incredible introduction. Warm, sunny, apple treeish openings that really move. It is extremely pleasing until the the dry down where it seems to adopt a cheap, soapy, almost plastic edge to end the process. It's really too bad considering how unique the opening is. A masculine version of CK Euphoria Floral.

05 June, 2009

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

YSL L'Homme
    Hmmm, very sweet, very boring, Such it is a lot of. I will be neutral...

05 May, 2009