Reviews of M by Mariah Carey

Find out more about M by Mariah Carey in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

blood-orange's avatar

This fragrance is a little different from your typical celebrity scents. When you first smell this, you can sense the creativity and thought that had gone into this perfume's composition.

Combining the saltiness of the ocean and the sugary sweetness of the marshmallow, M creates a scent that is both mature and fresh. The fragrance is in no way cloying, it is actually rather intimate as it stays close to the skin.

After a few hours this fragrance warms into a soft vanilla and incense, which is incredibly soothing and calm.

Because of this perfume's aquatic notes, I think this would make a great beach or Summery scent. The lasting power is excellent and the fragrance is very feminine and sensual. The bottle design is also quite beautiful, and the butterfly lid adds a sense of playfulness and vitality.

26th April, 2011

cheryl's avatar

The top notes say it all. The is synthetic, sweet and FRESH. I like a creamy marshmallow note as much as the next person, but the components in this one were a bit too strident. For some reason, I could taste this in my month after I applied this to my skin (which occasionally happens to me~maybe an allergic response). After about 15 minutes, the volume fades but it is the same aggressively girly, juvenile, fresh mess.

28th January, 2011

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

I like it ! M is a soft woody floriental on me that will be very wearable in home/work/shopping scenerios too strong for church though.I'll be getting a bottle this week.

19th April, 2010

dynastyd95's avatar

Burnt marshmallow and permanent markers

18th May, 2009

Holli's avatar

the notes in this sounded so promising. i wanted to feel i was roasting marshmallows at the beach. in the bottle, the smell is nice though very sweet and intrusive. on my skin, the salt note kind of takes over after fighting with the sweetness. it could work nicely for someone else. definitely a try first. long lasting for sure.

06th May, 2009

Aysu's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Just sweet and a little boring. Not a disaster but it starts out sweet, goes on sweet and finally dry down is sweet as well, does not change and this makes it boring and ordinary I guess. I find it a little similar to Hypnose-Lancome. Staying power is very good.
    Bottle is good in the pictures but looks very cheap in reality.. feeling a little regret for paying lots of money for 100 ml i guess :-)

04th September, 2008

mc cannon's avatar

Thailand Thailand

I love the way this scent last and aroma during the day when I work. it make me feel fresh and clean all day long.

25th May, 2008

purple_calm's avatar

Surprisingly I like this scent! It's very feminine. At first I thought this fragrance would be nauseatingly sweet because of the marshmallows, but I was amazed. Actually I think its the marshmallows that give the perfume its predominate, moderate sweetness; it also gives the florally redolence of gardenia a kick to it's pleasantness. It's as though these two notes harmonize one to the other. Let me explain: Before smelling M or any other fragrance for that matter, yet being aware that other fragrances had gourmand notes, I thought the smell of them would be absolutely tacky smelling or that they would just overwhelm the natural scents. I could be jumping to conclusions but, now, hopefully, to me most scents with gourmand notes, I like, will just smell like the natural aromas, yet only enhanced by them.
    The design of the bottle is a bit tawdry, but the color of it is lovely. Purple is my most favorite color, especially this deep, bright, lavender hue.

16th April, 2008

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Gosh, this is awful. I just get coconut with loads of sugar. Awful. Tacky in every possible way.

09th January, 2008

winterlove's avatar

To me, this smelled a lot like Vera Wang Princess - must be the Tiare flower.

I could not smell the patchouli!

And I think the bottle is hideous. Ick!

Nothing special, nothing innovative. But it smells nice. Rather sweet.

03rd November, 2007

purplebird7's avatar

I am not a scent snob. I will blind test anything. Although the notion of celebrity fragrances makes me shiver, and I particularly loathe fanciful, synthetic notes, I admit that I liked Mariah Carey M. Tiare flower, gardenia, patchouli, and incense make it a warm, somewhat woody floriental. (I wish I had not read that the sweetness was marshmallow.) I might not consider it FBW, but it was good. After I tried it on skin, I liked it less than on paper.

27th October, 2007 (Last Edited: 14th May, 2008)