Neutral Reviews of M by Mariah Carey

Find out more about M by Mariah Carey in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Captain's avatar

This had been on the discount shelf at my drugstore for weeks. I smelled the nozzle every time I went in, it smelled sweet and slightly incense-y so I finally just bought it - 3.4 oz for $20. I like sweet and I love incense! What I didn't expect though was death by aldehyde.

It is powdery, sweet and a bit spicy with incense if they would have stopped there and just said NO to the "Sea Breeze" accord it would be perfectly lovely. There's no over use of cheap musk which can often unbalance a celeb fragrance. Adelhyde, incense and marshmallows make for a muddled unwearable combo for me, sadly.

28 May, 2014 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2014)

Holli's avatar

the notes in this sounded so promising. i wanted to feel i was roasting marshmallows at the beach. in the bottle, the smell is nice though very sweet and intrusive. on my skin, the salt note kind of takes over after fighting with the sweetness. it could work nicely for someone else. definitely a try first. long lasting for sure.

06 May, 2009

Aysu's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Just sweet and a little boring. Not a disaster but it starts out sweet, goes on sweet and finally dry down is sweet as well, does not change and this makes it boring and ordinary I guess. I find it a little similar to Hypnose-Lancome. Staying power is very good.
    Bottle is good in the pictures but looks very cheap in reality.. feeling a little regret for paying lots of money for 100 ml i guess :-)

04 September, 2008

winterlove's avatar

To me, this smelled a lot like Vera Wang Princess - must be the Tiare flower.

I could not smell the patchouli!

And I think the bottle is hideous. Ick!

Nothing special, nothing innovative. But it smells nice. Rather sweet.

03 November, 2007

purplebird7's avatar

I am not a scent snob. I will blind test anything. Although the notion of celebrity fragrances makes me shiver, and I particularly loathe fanciful, synthetic notes, I admit that I liked Mariah Carey M. Tiare flower, gardenia, patchouli, and incense make it a warm, somewhat woody floriental. (I wish I had not read that the sweetness was marshmallow.) I might not consider it FBW, but it was good. After I tried it on skin, I liked it less than on paper.

27 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2008)