Positive Reviews of M by Mariah Carey

Find out more about M by Mariah Carey in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Captain's avatar

This had been on the discount shelf at my drugstore for weeks. I smelled the nozzle every time I went in, it smelled sweet and slightly incense-y so I finally just bought it - 3.4 oz for $20. I like sweet and I love incense! What I didn't expect though was death by aldehyde.

It is powdery, sweet and a bit spicy with incense if they would have stopped there and just said NO to the "Sea Breeze" accord it would be perfectly lovely. There's no over use of musk which can often unbalance a celeb fragrance. It lacks complexity for sure but I like it and am wearing it so thumbs up!

28 May, 2014 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2014)

blood-orange's avatar

This fragrance is a little different from your typical celebrity scents. When you first smell this, you can sense the creativity and thought that had gone into this perfume's composition.

Combining the saltiness of the ocean and the sugary sweetness of the marshmallow, M creates a scent that is both mature and fresh. The fragrance is in no way cloying, it is actually rather intimate as it stays close to the skin.

After a few hours this fragrance warms into a soft vanilla and incense, which is incredibly soothing and calm.

Because of this perfume's aquatic notes, I think this would make a great beach or Summery scent. The lasting power is excellent and the fragrance is very feminine and sensual. The bottle design is also quite beautiful, and the butterfly lid adds a sense of playfulness and vitality.

26 April, 2011

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

I like it ! M is a soft woody floriental on me that will be very wearable in home/work/shopping scenerios too strong for church though.I'll be getting a bottle this week.

19 April, 2010

purple_calm's avatar

Surprisingly I like this scent! It's very feminine. At first I thought this fragrance would be nauseatingly sweet because of the marshmallows, but I was amazed. Actually I think its the marshmallows that give the perfume its predominate, moderate sweetness; it also gives the florally redolence of gardenia a kick to it's pleasantness. It's as though these two notes harmonize one to the other. Let me explain: Before smelling M or any other fragrance for that matter, yet being aware that other fragrances had gourmand notes, I thought the smell of them would be absolutely tacky smelling or that they would just overwhelm the natural scents. I could be jumping to conclusions but, now, hopefully, to me most scents with gourmand notes, I like, will just smell like the natural aromas, yet only enhanced by them.
    The design of the bottle is a bit tawdry, but the color of it is lovely. Purple is my most favorite color, especially this deep, bright, lavender hue.

16 April, 2008