Reviews of The One by Dolce & Gabbana

Salutation.

If you like trying New Scents certainly test this one.THE ONE is a Gorgeous inoffensive scent and one of the best Female D&G perfumes too.It is nice for nose. Modern,Warm.Elegant,Beautiful, Sweet but Subtle,Great but not Unique.

THE ONE features Fruity,Then is surrounded with Jasmine and Lily it smells a little Flowery but not Too much.The base notes is becomes Richen with the Addition of a Smooth Creamy Vanilla. Totally Vanilla is the Main note in it.

I love the Look of the Bottle because it is Beautiful Indeed. This EDP is Perfect for a ROMANTIC Dinner Or a Special Night at home. Seemly for AUTUMN weather and a Modern Character.you won't regret buying it for your collection.

Sillage?Lovely.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

16th May, 2015
If this was a Guerlain (easily could be) it would have positive reviews. It's gorgeous. It doesn't wow with uniqueness but on a cold -25 c day, it's so damn warm and lovely. I love it and I'm not going to analyze it. Life's too short for that nonesense.
30th November, 2014
bFlay Show all reviews
Very sweet peaches and cream scent in THE ONE by D&G. Pleasant, but very one note and linear. The bergomot is minimal and difficult to discern...doesn't read as a true citrus at all. Dry down softens the sweetness with a little floral depth that is fleeting but true iris/lilly. Projects nicely, but longevity is less than 4-5 hours on skin and clothes.
10th June, 2014

at first wiff it smelled very elegant and expensive-smelling , i was intrigued by this perfume....
after buying it i realised that it doesn't last at all. too bad cause it has a really unique smell.guys that make testers trick us big time i quess!
smells like pot pouri, dried fruits and flowers to me which is a brilliant idea but as i said you can only smell it on your skin for a short period. i will not purchase it again, don't wanna throw money away!
29th February, 2012
I'm on my second bottle of this perfume. I live in Florida, which usually has a hot and humid climate, and this perfume works well here. It's light yet well-layered; it attracts attention, but it's not offensive. Down here perfumes can tend to turn strong and sickly pretty fast, but I've had no issues with this one at all. I'm no fan of bergamot as it tends to give me a headache, but the citrus notes balance it out. The dry-down is slightly powdery, but I can definitely pick up the vanilla and plum, which gives it a nice kick.
26th December, 2011
Onedimentional powdery white concoction that expresses a talky-sweet vanillic soul which takes the scene in a while after a barely indented fruity beginning, holding on its cloudy milky trip till the end of the smell. The initial chord of citrus and lychees is too faint in order to express the right level of watery-fruity coolness, the final musk is too pale to take the scene with the fair insertion of boise' taming the excess of sweetness and finally the  note of vetiver doesn't manage to imprint mysterious rootiness to the flat and  stuck talky cloud. The mélange of delicious fruits as peaches, plums and apricots has the effect to create a caramellous and oversweet mellifluence. The florals are ghosty and unable to be noticed and to bring out a touch of classic femininity while the absence of animalic notes (a pale amber apart) keeps on steady the general boredom. The final constant powdery deliciousness is almost edible like a vanilla pudding but is far to embody the clothes of a real changeful fragrance with the right degree of sophistication, charme and distinction. As well as others underlined, unispired and a bit too synthetic.
06th December, 2011 (last edited: 08th January, 2012)
Feminine and expensive-smelling
a little bit like standard granny-perfume. Very sweet

Floral, to my nose.
Should smell good on a woman of my mother's age: >48
19th June, 2011
I'm all for sweet fragrances, but unfortunately this fragrance just seemed too sweet for me.

The opening although pretty fruits, is a little too much like sticky candies overloaded with sugar. Due to this sweetness I would say that The One is a relatively young and flirtatious scent, not something to be taken seriously.

The One does mellow into a warm and pleasant oriental floral, however I can't say that I was blown over backwards by its uniqueness. The jasmine, lily and plum are pretty and certainly wearable, the most pleasant aspect of this fragrance so far.

The drydown isn't bad either, the vanilla brings back an element of syrupy sweetness which made me cringe at first but it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. I'll give credit to this fragrance for its excellent sillage and lasting power and its sensuality and creaminess. It is unfortunate that the scent doesn't appeal to my nose.

11th June, 2011
I've always wanted a parfume where I couldn't detect any single natural note. Something immaterial and really abstract. In The One I can't truly recognise any of the notes written in the pyramid. Still this is not a great perfume. It doesn't lack style or uniqueness but it is not remarkable. It is a monolite without shades. Is this the reason of the name?
02nd May, 2011
Asha describes this perfectly.

The One is a nice fragrance: It has an enjoyable aroma; it’s competently put together; but it could use some touches of true inspiration. In the end, the rating has to be neutral because of its lack of depth and breadth.
04th December, 2010
This has an odd creamy sweetness, and it is well crafted, there are a lot of different scents at play within the fragrance and it changes nicely as it dries down. However, although a bit unusual with nice character it is still not very unique or inspiring. It's a bit boring all the way throughout. It makes you want to sniff it again but then still leaves you a bit underwhelmed when you do. There's some nice floral notes in the middle but they faded super quick on me, and I barely experienced anything of the top at all.

The creaminess can be a bit nauseating, and that's not something I've experienced much of. Still, it would be a nice scent for someone who's skin it works well on.
23rd July, 2010
i would say this fragrance is diverse, sometimes it does smell warm on me and very luxurious, but there are times, the hotter days i think when it is so acid. i really miss the vanilla in this one..
27th April, 2010
simply put it is uninspiring I was very disapointed with this perfume
24th April, 2010

smh78 Show all reviews
Ok, the one for whom? This is nice, a well-blended fragrance. The peachy top notes are round and warm-smelling, and the musk blends in nicely. It is not cloyingly fruity or floral, which is certainly a virtue, and it is hard to figure out what scents are at play here, which I think is actually pretty cool. The ultimate result is a creamy, peachy, super-feminine effect, with not great sillage. I don't get the bergamot or the other citrus topnotes at all here. I appreciate that D & G is not catering to the masses too much here. It is not that overly sugary, fruity, lollipop profile which has plagued the industry for years. That said, this perfume is not 'the one' in much the same way as Scarlett Johansson, the poster girl for this fragrance, is not 'the one' in any sense of the word. It is an unexciting, unadventurous scent which relies on a media juggernaut and mass-market unimaginativeness to launch it into some faux 'legendary' category. Just as Scarlett is an extremely pale imitation of real, womanly movie stars, whose image she is emulating in this campaign. The One can wait forsomeone else with lower priorites to make the commitment. I'll leave him on the shelf.
08th April, 2010
dimplesg Show all reviews
I really wanted to like 'The One'. I was looking for a perfume for my 40th birthday in a nice atomiser to travel. I bought this in a lovely gold atomiser with 3 refills, but more on the strength of the 'pretty looking atomiser' for my handbag. It was an expensive mistake. It smells like fly spray on me!
23rd March, 2010
Softly fruity oriental with creamy vanilla over light amber. Nothing particularly distinctive about THE ONE except for the sweetness that can get annoyingly cloying. I have to agree with Asha, I'd pick the better composed L'eau The One over this any day.
22nd January, 2010
Soft fruits and vanilla. Like its male counterpart, features an ambery base. When it dries down The One is simply a creamy vanilla. The sample packaging says floral oriental.. well it is but I'd expect something stronger with that moniker. Rather weak, honestly but lasts for a decent amount of time.
05th December, 2009
(Lori) Show all reviews
I was really looking forward to enjoying my new bottle of The One and I can't believe that it is so disappointing after application and even 30 minutes later. It's so blah. Nothing special about it. Boring. Nondescript.
03rd November, 2009
It may be sacreligious to say, but The One reminds me of Coco all dried out with some peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream! I reach for The One when Coco is just a little too serious, when I still want something dense and rich and mature smelling, but just a little more fun. I'd have to say she my favorite fruity floral. That peach-vanilla musk combo makes me weak in the knees!
27th October, 2009 (last edited: 05th November, 2009)
27th October, 2009 (last edited: 05th November, 2009)
Asha Show all reviews
Dolce and Gabbana The One

Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Lychee, Peach, Madonna Lily, Muguet, Plum, Jasmine, Vetiver, Vanilla, Amber, Musk. (from Sephora.com)

The One is a light composition of vanilla, mixed summer fruits, nondescript woods and pale amber. The vanilla is sugared and flavored with a bit of caramel. The effect is lightened with some lychee and other watery fruits such as peach or apricot. Overall the effect is extremely sweet, almost sickeningly so. I find it difficult to pick out many notes in this fragrance--the ingredients seem to blend together seamlessly. While this may be a desired trait, in the case of The One, it adds to the glossy one-dimensional quality that this fragrance evokes. I'd hesitate to call this a fruity floral, despite the heavy inclusion of fruits in the fragrance. In fact it is a pretty, albeit uncomplicated, feminine oriental fragrance that is not challenging in composition and not terribly loud or provocative. I like the way this one looks on paper, but on skin, it is formless and banal. Death by vanilla pudding. Neutral rating.

Dolce and Gabbana L'Eau The One

Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Lychee, Peach, Plum, Floral Muguet, Jasmine, Madonna Lily, Amber, Musk, Moss, Vanilla, Vetyver (from Sephora.com)

L'Eau The One opens a bit more tart and bitter than the original namesake, and as the original, features prominent sugared vanilla, light amber, woods and mixed fruits. The fruit blend, however, was reorchestrated with a heavier dose of citrus such as grapefruit or mandarin and a stronger, watery lychee. The published notes appear to be exactly the same as in the original The One, but perhaps are used in different proportions to achieve an overall more buoyant feel. The woods are more aggressive in L'Eau, and there is a touch of patchouli that was not apparent in The One. Considering the original is exceedingly polite, this little bit of edginess is quite welcome, and gives L'Eau some needed dryness to balance out the super sweet vanilla dessert notes. In the case of L'Eau The One, I definitely prefer the added personality that affords this fragrance some nice structure to keep the flabby pudding top notes from being suffocating. Positive rating.
01st August, 2009
Pug911 Show all reviews
I bought One from Nordstrom today for 70 bucks. Couldn't find Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanilla. so had to settle for this One. The sales lady let me take a sniff (not at her), and I really like the warm and fruity note. Well, at least I will have something to compare to (vanilla frag.) if I ever found Guerlain Double Vanilla.
18th July, 2009
I tried this accidently and liked it a lot. At a point, I have to admit, I was dissapointed when 2 minutes later I found out it was pour femme :)) Great scent ladies, I'd like to smell this on my girl!
29th June, 2009 (last edited: 18th January, 2010)
I really like The One, it's a warm and soft scent with good lasting power. The sweet fruit notes in the opening are not cloying, I guess they are balanced by the bergamt in a very good way. Then comes the floral heart with warm amber and vanilla in the bottom - the notes blend very well and it's hard to pick out the individual notes. I think it's a very well done designer fragrance, the only negative is probably that it's not very original, but that doesn't bother me much. Great for cold winter days.
22nd June, 2009 (last edited: 11th January, 2010)
Soon I will have to purchase this one, regardless. Yes, it sits on a whopping lot of vanilla, and I am not one for food or fruit aromas on my person--however: whatever combination it is of muguet, amber, and musk that are woven into the vanilla bomb change it into something with enchanting appeal and sophistication. It's not that the scents are not discernible, it's that they are so well matched (I think it might be the muguet-amber that keeps pulling me to it--curious and seductive pairing) and properly blended. Very little staying power, but that shortcoming is offset by the complete absence of offensive notes. A charming fougere floral with fruit. I'll have another.
08th March, 2009
Haudry Show all reviews
I like this, but I wasn't blown away. It's great for the daytime because it is inoffensive and will go over well with most people. I really like how it smells in the first 10 min. It smells fruity and sweet. After that, it's just vanilla, vanilla, vanilla.
18th February, 2009
This was the perfume that got me into perfume.

At 20, the word "perfume" was sort of a turn-off and I usually associated the word with traumatic memories of my hideous old religion teacher prowling down the unventilated halls of my high school wearing far, far too much of some bowl-you-over musky floral so potent that I learned to hold my breath whenever she passed or literally gag.

Or alternately, my mothers collection of alchoholy things, the Chanel No5 that was *hers*, the dusty smell of old ladies (thus, perfume = death) or the Jolly-Rancher-in-a-bottle that I got sick of before I was 15.

Bored at work, I was flipping though the edition of vogue that had the three-page Gisele ad and sniffed the scent strip.

Is it too dramatic to say that the scent made part of my life change? Or that my entire sense of of smell suddenly sprang to life? It is too dramatic, but its sort of true in that I realized that perfume didn't have to be bad, or smell like old ladies, or death, or candy, or dead flowers in alcohol. it could smell warm and alive. It could *not suck.*

(Amazing!)

I got a bottle soon after and while I don't have the same opinion of it that I had when I got it I still like it a lot and I give credit where credit is due.

It's not the most complicated or nuanced fragrance in the world, this is its weakness, but its warmth is what attracted me to it and that where "The One" succeeds. It really smells as warm and inviting as the gold juice in the bottle. It goes on floral and little spicy and sweet. It almost gets too sweet in the middle, about an hour or two into it, but stops just short of candy-bar territory and mellows out into something like a smooth woody vanilla that lingers for a while.

I think it's a bit too strong/noticeable for everyday wear, and the sweetness is sometimes too much. It's a "night" fragrance for me, or for whenever I want to be slightly intimidating in a fun way.

I've also gotten compliments from men while wearing this perfume. When I tell them what it is they lean in in for a better sniff. Sort of funny.
24th December, 2008
pasha Show all reviews
The One reminds me of Casran by Chopard and the latter is a mens scent actually. This is a more subdued, feminine version of that fragrance to my nose. Their powdery base is almost the same only Casran is a bit more bitter and maybe sharp, and slightly heavier on woods and powder.

I am not a fan of Casran: I used a big bottle, but I think it is a strange blend that comes off as either too powdery or too cloudy. But it doesn't smell like anything else. That is its uniqueness and maybe it's only saving grace. On the other hand, The One -being very similar to Casran- is so average and mass-market that it is almost sad. I think the creators tried too hard for this to smell 'youthful' that it ended up smelling a bit on the cheaper side. Musky vanilla blends never smell young. 'The One' is light, and the light aroma in question must be a marketing ploy to attract the young customers. To my nose, the scent comes off as almost too silent to be taken seriously.

Supposedly the scent opens with mandarin, bergamot, litchi and peach, but I do not get any of that fruit basket. Maybe a little citrus, but that is about it. The sweetness of peach and the sharp exotic nature of litchi do not hit my nose at all. Then there is supposed to be some generous floral blend of jasmine, lily of the valley and luscious white lily, but all I get is a tired blend of some random floral sweetness. Maybe if one of those flowers mentioned were a bit more dominant, the scent had a better personality to talk about.

The One is not fruity, nor amber-y. It is a musky skin scent that is heavy on vanilla. I do not enjoy it to be frank. The ad campaign features lovely Gisele Bundchen all geared up in latest skimpy Dolce clothing acting like a spoiled fashion diva - or a brat in this case. It is lame. It is so 90s. The name is another source of utter agony. 'The One'... The one of what exactly? How vile is that?

Dolce&Gabbana is releasing one mediocre creation after the other with much publicized and expensive ad campaigns to paint a picture of faux glam-greatness, but all the brand is offering nowadays is just smoke-and-mirrors and nothing else. This creation and Light Blue for men are both over-hyped scents that are simply boring and redundant in today's already overcrowded market. Instead of trying to imitate the success of Light Blue(for women) by trying to re-work its formula again and again with only slight shifts, I think the label should aim to create one scent that is truly new and unique. Desirable with an unique edge.

And that scent is not this one. It is not 'The One.'
23rd November, 2008 (last edited: 20th June, 2009)
Well, I'm in the middle on this one. A "medium" oriental/floral, opens with a fresh burst of fruitiness then drifts into a mild floral. Funny to read lillies in there, I cannot distinctly smell them. The heart notes are powdery sweet, then the base kicks in - which is what turns me off. It's kind of like Fresh's Sake. Something in it just sticks to the back of my throat. I'll give this one a neutral ~ but just barely.
23rd April, 2008
Beautiful scent. I agree that it isn't earth-shattering, but it's definitely on the classic side with the vanilla in it. I like it.
18th April, 2008