Neutral Reviews of The One by Dolce & Gabbana

bFlay Show all reviews
Very sweet peaches and cream scent in THE ONE by D&G. Pleasant, but very one note and linear. The bergomot is minimal and difficult to discern...doesn't read as a true citrus at all. Dry down softens the sweetness with a little floral depth that is fleeting but true iris/lilly. Projects nicely, but longevity is less than 4-5 hours on skin and clothes.
10th June, 2014
at first wiff it smelled very elegant and expensive-smelling , i was intrigued by this perfume....
after buying it i realised that it doesn't last at all. too bad cause it has a really unique smell.guys that make testers trick us big time i quess!
smells like pot pouri, dried fruits and flowers to me which is a brilliant idea but as i said you can only smell it on your skin for a short period. i will not purchase it again, don't wanna throw money away!
29th February, 2012
Feminine and expensive-smelling
a little bit like standard granny-perfume. Very sweet

Floral, to my nose.
Should smell good on a woman of my mother's age: >48
19th June, 2011

I'm all for sweet fragrances, but unfortunately this fragrance just seemed too sweet for me.

The opening although pretty fruits, is a little too much like sticky candies overloaded with sugar. Due to this sweetness I would say that The One is a relatively young and flirtatious scent, not something to be taken seriously.

The One does mellow into a warm and pleasant oriental floral, however I can't say that I was blown over backwards by its uniqueness. The jasmine, lily and plum are pretty and certainly wearable, the most pleasant aspect of this fragrance so far.

The drydown isn't bad either, the vanilla brings back an element of syrupy sweetness which made me cringe at first but it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. I'll give credit to this fragrance for its excellent sillage and lasting power and its sensuality and creaminess. It is unfortunate that the scent doesn't appeal to my nose.

11th June, 2011
I've always wanted a parfume where I couldn't detect any single natural note. Something immaterial and really abstract. In The One I can't truly recognise any of the notes written in the pyramid. Still this is not a great perfume. It doesn't lack style or uniqueness but it is not remarkable. It is a monolite without shades. Is this the reason of the name?
02nd May, 2011
Asha describes this perfectly.

The One is a nice fragrance: It has an enjoyable aroma; it’s competently put together; but it could use some touches of true inspiration. In the end, the rating has to be neutral because of its lack of depth and breadth.
04th December, 2010
This has an odd creamy sweetness, and it is well crafted, there are a lot of different scents at play within the fragrance and it changes nicely as it dries down. However, although a bit unusual with nice character it is still not very unique or inspiring. It's a bit boring all the way throughout. It makes you want to sniff it again but then still leaves you a bit underwhelmed when you do. There's some nice floral notes in the middle but they faded super quick on me, and I barely experienced anything of the top at all.

The creaminess can be a bit nauseating, and that's not something I've experienced much of. Still, it would be a nice scent for someone who's skin it works well on.
23rd July, 2010
i would say this fragrance is diverse, sometimes it does smell warm on me and very luxurious, but there are times, the hotter days i think when it is so acid. i really miss the vanilla in this one..
27th April, 2010
simply put it is uninspiring I was very disapointed with this perfume
24th April, 2010
smh78 Show all reviews
Ok, the one for whom? This is nice, a well-blended fragrance. The peachy top notes are round and warm-smelling, and the musk blends in nicely. It is not cloyingly fruity or floral, which is certainly a virtue, and it is hard to figure out what scents are at play here, which I think is actually pretty cool. The ultimate result is a creamy, peachy, super-feminine effect, with not great sillage. I don't get the bergamot or the other citrus topnotes at all here. I appreciate that D & G is not catering to the masses too much here. It is not that overly sugary, fruity, lollipop profile which has plagued the industry for years. That said, this perfume is not 'the one' in much the same way as Scarlett Johansson, the poster girl for this fragrance, is not 'the one' in any sense of the word. It is an unexciting, unadventurous scent which relies on a media juggernaut and mass-market unimaginativeness to launch it into some faux 'legendary' category. Just as Scarlett is an extremely pale imitation of real, womanly movie stars, whose image she is emulating in this campaign. The One can wait forsomeone else with lower priorites to make the commitment. I'll leave him on the shelf.
08th April, 2010
Softly fruity oriental with creamy vanilla over light amber. Nothing particularly distinctive about THE ONE except for the sweetness that can get annoyingly cloying. I have to agree with Asha, I'd pick the better composed L'eau The One over this any day.
22nd January, 2010
Soft fruits and vanilla. Like its male counterpart, features an ambery base. When it dries down The One is simply a creamy vanilla. The sample packaging says floral oriental.. well it is but I'd expect something stronger with that moniker. Rather weak, honestly but lasts for a decent amount of time.
05th December, 2009
Asha Show all reviews
Dolce and Gabbana The One

Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Lychee, Peach, Madonna Lily, Muguet, Plum, Jasmine, Vetiver, Vanilla, Amber, Musk. (from Sephora.com)

The One is a light composition of vanilla, mixed summer fruits, nondescript woods and pale amber. The vanilla is sugared and flavored with a bit of caramel. The effect is lightened with some lychee and other watery fruits such as peach or apricot. Overall the effect is extremely sweet, almost sickeningly so. I find it difficult to pick out many notes in this fragrance--the ingredients seem to blend together seamlessly. While this may be a desired trait, in the case of The One, it adds to the glossy one-dimensional quality that this fragrance evokes. I'd hesitate to call this a fruity floral, despite the heavy inclusion of fruits in the fragrance. In fact it is a pretty, albeit uncomplicated, feminine oriental fragrance that is not challenging in composition and not terribly loud or provocative. I like the way this one looks on paper, but on skin, it is formless and banal. Death by vanilla pudding. Neutral rating.

Dolce and Gabbana L'Eau The One

Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Lychee, Peach, Plum, Floral Muguet, Jasmine, Madonna Lily, Amber, Musk, Moss, Vanilla, Vetyver (from Sephora.com)

L'Eau The One opens a bit more tart and bitter than the original namesake, and as the original, features prominent sugared vanilla, light amber, woods and mixed fruits. The fruit blend, however, was reorchestrated with a heavier dose of citrus such as grapefruit or mandarin and a stronger, watery lychee. The published notes appear to be exactly the same as in the original The One, but perhaps are used in different proportions to achieve an overall more buoyant feel. The woods are more aggressive in L'Eau, and there is a touch of patchouli that was not apparent in The One. Considering the original is exceedingly polite, this little bit of edginess is quite welcome, and gives L'Eau some needed dryness to balance out the super sweet vanilla dessert notes. In the case of L'Eau The One, I definitely prefer the added personality that affords this fragrance some nice structure to keep the flabby pudding top notes from being suffocating. Positive rating.
01st August, 2009

Haudry Show all reviews
I like this, but I wasn't blown away. It's great for the daytime because it is inoffensive and will go over well with most people. I really like how it smells in the first 10 min. It smells fruity and sweet. After that, it's just vanilla, vanilla, vanilla.
18th February, 2009
Well, I'm in the middle on this one. A "medium" oriental/floral, opens with a fresh burst of fruitiness then drifts into a mild floral. Funny to read lillies in there, I cannot distinctly smell them. The heart notes are powdery sweet, then the base kicks in - which is what turns me off. It's kind of like Fresh's Sake. Something in it just sticks to the back of my throat. I'll give this one a neutral ~ but just barely.
23rd April, 2008
I was surprised when i first smelled this one because i was expecting it to not like it. The mandarin and lychee are the winners within the top notes, and the jasmin is more intense here than the listed lily of the valley and the madonna lily. If only i could do something about the far too common basenotes.
Nice, but not truly original, earth-quakin' nor breath-takin'.
18th February, 2007
vampixi Show all reviews
I really wanted to like this but all i got was lemon, really before it disappeared completely. Might hve to try it again but it did irritate my skin too.
27th December, 2006
I tried this perfume in the department store today. It's pleasant enough, but certainly doesn't light my fire.
25th October, 2006
had a tester of this, but it doesnt really last on me...as above. perhaps for the office...but not "special"
28th September, 2006
kewart Show all reviews
I have just tried this one in a department store - new release, I believe! Seems very "green" at first and quite fresh and uplifting. Not a great deal of lasting power and the drydown is fairly bland. A good everyday scent for the office, maybe.
26th September, 2006