Reviews

Reviews of Vintage by John Varvatos

John Varvatos Vintage ranks as one of the better mainstream designer fragrances that you can buy right now. It's a juniper, tobacco and leather fragrance, but well-blended to the point where this could theoretically be sold as a niche fragrance at five times the price. Yet you can buy a bottle at Macy's or Sephora at a normal designer fragrance price - in today's designer market, this might be a miracle. Sillage and longevity of Vintage is the best out of all the John Varvatos line.

Highly recommended - especially if you live in a place where most months are cool and cold.
06th May, 2015
The best of the John Varvatos line that I've tried. Very mature masculine fragrance that probably would work better on 30+ males. My wife and daughters always seem to compliment me when I wear this one. Reminds me slightly of Burberry London, with the juniper berries and wintery wood notes. Safe for the office or a dinner out. Excellent cold weather or Christmas holiday fragrance choice.
27th March, 2015
So I pulled my High School letterman jacket out of storage recently, and I used to wear a lot of Polo back in the day...that's what this is.
11th March, 2015
Superb masculine scent. Love when I wear it and get random people coming up to me asking what it is. Seems to seduce people..ha ha. Lasts a long time on me and seems to somewhat be ever changing throughout the hours. Great for a night out on the town. Unique in it's own right...A must have.

Note: The warmth of the summer esp in the light breezy eve really brings this scents notes out like mad. (Not just for cold weather)....Does project rather well.

I do find the suede, tobacco and jasmine with a slight tonka sweetness really pop when the weather is warm or your skin is heated up. On just a regular cool eve the rhubarb, absinth, lavender, cinammon, fir and tobacco are more prominate.
26th January, 2015
Whilst this is no Baie de Genièvre, I get a nice juniper berry note in the opening, together with a pleasant jasmine. The drydown revel as a fairly soft patchouli, which mergers into a base of vanilla and a hint of a fairly generic tobacco coda.

Developing nicely on my skin; I get adequate sillage and projection with four hours of longevity. Pleasant. 3/5.
12th January, 2015
Hey, it's old Christmas pudding in his new leather jacket! Wait a minute...wonder if that's real leather though.
12th December, 2014
I absolutely love this fragrance. At first spray I get tobacco and suede. The dry down is sweet and I smell the juniper berries. Perfect for cold weather, it is very masculine. A compliment getter every time I wear it. It lasts a very long time on me.
11th December, 2014
bFlay Show all reviews
VINTAGE is...predictable. Very much what all mens fragrances were in the 80s and 90s. Pine, iris and sharply astringent green/aquatic mish-mash. This isn't bad, just unremarkable and overly well-tread scent. Probably not worth the price as this profile can be found in any discount store...
24th October, 2014
My first purchase from the line. This fragrance contains all the essences of what I want out a fragrance. The only downfall or shortcoming is the longevity. I usually get about 3 or 4 hours before this becomes a skin scent. Then around the 5 hour its gone. My skin tends to drink it up. I wish they had a lotion that would compliment the fragrance to get better longevity out of this. But this is a masterpiece in my opinion.
25th July, 2014
This is a Houdini of a fragrance. In my opinion, one of the best men's scents in at least the last decade, but absolutely zero sillage. I put this on, savor the wafts of rich vanilla and warm tobacco--and poof! it's gone. And I'm one who doesn't mind colognes that lie down quickly and stay close to the body. But this one disappears nearly instantaneously--faster than many aftershaves I own. Not a deal killer if you don't mind re-applying often, or for an evening out. But a shame because it could have been legendary.
11th May, 2014
Like Polo for the 21st Century

Great scent if you want to leave echoes of Polo without being know as "the guy that still wears Polo." Wish it lasted longer; need to carry a spritzer to make it through the day.

Pros: Tobacco, tonka, patchouli
Cons: Minimal sliage"

15th October, 2013
JV with leather and tobacco

Flankers, it seems are too often less about variation and more about marketing. No so here. Vintage clearly has the bones of the original, with some nice tobacco and leather that give it an old school feel to it. Its a mature scent, and an evening sent. It is also very good. Better longevity than the original. I think I prefer the the other, but this one is very nice, and projects better as well.

10th August, 2013
Vintage Splash sample vial review

great sample splash. will def. buy a full bottle.

long lasting, good projection.

I hope my real bottle is as good a the sample vial

Pros: floral, not super strong, classic barbershop
Cons: a bit boring for the young'uns"

11th July, 2013
True to its name

This stuff is true to its name.

It is a delicious, comfortable, creamy dressed-up man from the mid-1970s.

This could be a signature scent for the confident man who makes no apologies for his decisions.

This has a real barber-shop smell and is perfect for the over 30 crowd.

Pros: Smells great and retro
Cons: Smells retro

29th May, 2013
Absolutely superb. I am SUPER picky with my fragrances, and this is the epitome of a great Fall scent. It's wearable unlike niche. It's like - pumpkin/vanilla/tobacco, or SOMETHING of that. Maybe fig. It's just superb.
20th April, 2013
I get soooo many compliments with this one. Great winter scent, women love it. This is my favorite one I own so far.
14th January, 2013
BriGuy Show all reviews
One of my signatures. I love this one! It's a complex fragrance which gets GREAT compliments. The projection is short lived, so a mini or atomizer to refresh is a good idea.

UPDATE: The projection is fantastic for about an hour. After that it stays VERY close to the skin. As for longevity, I have gotten well over 10 hours on this cologne; although, most of that is not projected at all.

This fragrance is GREAT for me at work, since the projection is subtle and unobtrusive. I just got home from a long day and can still smell traces of it on my wrist after applying it 14 hours ago.
06th October, 2012 (last edited: 10th October, 2012)
Nice smelling fragrance. The only flaw with this one is the longevity. Only last about three hours on my skin. If it wasn't for that, I would have gave this one a thumbs up.You will receive compliments with this one.
13th September, 2012 (last edited: 24th July, 2014)
I began reading up and trying fragrances a couple months ago. Vintage was one of the first scents I tried. It was, and still is, my favorite scent that I have worn to date. A nice, fruity smell to start. Turns into what I see as a classy man as it dries. Was the first scent that had me bringing my wrist up to my nose time and again for more. Lasted a good eight hours on me. When my wife smelled it, she liked it as well, but her first thought was of the holidays...so once the weather cools down a bit, this will be my next purchase.
13th August, 2012
Yes as everyone has noted the scent life on this is between the 3-6 hour mark but my gosh in those hours this is AMAZING!!!!!Masculine all the way and I love it. I wore this two days in a row and in those two days I received two compliments from two different people.The scent alone makes up for its poor longevity. Try it out and if you come in contact with someone between the life of the scent I bet you will get a compliment. I know I did.

15th July, 2012
exotic and sexy...duration should be prolonged
20th June, 2012
Varvatos Vintage is becoming fast one of my favorites, I am a fan of fougeres and enjoy all powerhouses of the 70's and 80's and very rarely I like the newer fragrances, but this one kinda breaks the mold of "modern aquatic" garbage and really offers a feast for the nose. Coniferous but with a patchouli kick in a very sweet (tonka bean) background that slowly develops into a tobacco/leather base. A winner in my book
10th August, 2011
I realy love this fragrance and I don't say that often. I have to agree with the other basenoters that said this fragrance is romantic and masculine. At first sniff I thought that it had fig or a date fruit note even though the pyramid does not include those. Others have mentioned that this fragrance is weak or does not last long. I have to disagree as the fragrance evolves quickly. The drydown is amazing, suede, tobacco.
06th August, 2011
very spicy, reminds me of some spice used in some Chinese dishes. Also the smell of tobacco is very noticeable. Not a very special scent.
21st July, 2011
 Complex modern fragrance, as usual for Varvatos, this is the one (tested) of the brand which I prefer. The combination of aromatic woodsy notes of mountain, patchouli, sharp floral patterns, smoke and suede comes out, few hours later the first spray, as a smooth dark blend of pipe tobacco and velvety mellifluence with nuances of obscure flowers and a vintage undertone provided by the link of lavender, tobacco/patchouli, aromatic resins and santolina. The camphoraceous vibe of the latter is combined with the lovely juniper berries, fennels, oakmoss, lavender, obscure spices and mastering fir resin in order to exhale a cool vintage-leathery aromatic whiff that is combined with the modern suede, jasmine, quince paste, bitter alcoholic elements, a touch of balsams and creamy smoke. The fragrance keeps a certain level of dryness and is pleasant, softly leathery, vaguely fruity and dark. The note of patchouli is the masculine scale of elements and the link among those. Several woody patterns provide structure and woodsy mildness to the base. The wake is an alternation of soapy, resinous/leathery and dry-floral chic whiffs. Dark modernism is focused on the combination of rhubarb, jasmine, quince paste, aromatic absinth-fennels, smoky suede and balsams. Yes, an alternative for a romantic spring time night out.
01st June, 2011 (last edited: 17th July, 2014)
I feel pretty much the same way that Live Jazz feels about this one. I tested it without paying attention to reviews, notes, press releases, or anything like that. The word "vintage" caught my eye, as did the leather on the bottle, and so I figured I'd give it a whirl. The opening seemed a little boozy to me. Like the fruity sweetness of tobacco with the tingle of herbs and spices. I have a small bottle of Croatian Rakija that has this herbal, slightly sweet smell, something like that. An okay start, but nothing groundbreaking. (And, frankly, looking now at the notes above...good lord, where are they coming up with these notes? Have they just taken all reigns off the marketing team - "write whatever you think sounds like it will sell, guys! Dudes like juniper and fir and tobacco and suede...don't they?...and santolina sounds so exotic!") And then, generic male base #2. I give up.
04th May, 2011
I'm glad I didn't buy this one without first giving it a test drive. This is a delicious scent, complex, interesting, dense, right up my alley, an instant classic. However, to my grave disappointment, the scent had almost completely disappeared from my skin after a mere two hours. Otherwise, this scent would have easily and surely been one of my all-time favorites.
14th April, 2011
A different, interesting, and somewhat dark fragrance from John Varvatos. It took me a couple wearings to figure out the opening. At first I thought fig fig fig.. As many of the reviewers claim, however I think the pyramid is more accurate with the berry assessment. The result.. berry potpourri. That's it! it smells exactly like berry potpourri. I don't mean the Glade spray, I mean the legit potpourri, with the wood pieces, pine cones, acorns, cedar shavings, etc.

While there is no fig listed in the pyramid, the berries in here certainly give off the fig smell. The fragrance does sit close to the skin, and longevity is a bit spotty, but like the original, I think the more exotic skin scent persona adds to its charm. Although it would be amazing if they made an intense version of this, or an EDP. Although people will say, just get CK Shock for that.. I see a lot of differences in the 2. And I doubt anyone will agree with me here, but I have a 5ml decant of Jubilation XXV/men, and I see them to be quite similar, especially their openings.

In a nutshell; berry potpourri, figs, patchouli, cypress, spices, (notably cinnamon) with some light florals in the background are what dominates the first 2-3 hours of this fragrance.

Again, this doesn't project as much as I would like this is a different and more intimate fragrance. Wear this when you're in an environment where you're close with your chick, or guy.. If somebody gets a whiff of you while it's still bouncing off your skin, you'll probably get complimented, and asked what you're wearing.. it's happened to me numerous time. Not only an extremely bottle worthy designer release, but also get some decants to carry around with you. An excellent fragrance, despite its performance issues.
19th March, 2011 (last edited: 05th December, 2014)
Could have been a real winner. Warm. Romantic. Mature. Sophisticated. All good words to describe this offering.

Sadly, as others confirm, it's gone within a couple hours.
01st February, 2011
I really wanted to like this one--there was something initially appealing to me about the romantic masculine image evoked by the lavender, tobacco and suede that burst through from the very beginning. However, this ends up smelling a bit too thin, more like a sad wisp of a memory than like your grandfather's leather armchair. The basic structure is definitely there, but it needs a bit of meat on its bones.

That said, my wife loves this one, so I own a bottle plus the aftershave balm.
01st February, 2011