Reviews of Vintage by John Varvatos

Find out more about Vintage by John Varvatos in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

's avatar

Like Polo for the 21st Century

Great scent if you want to leave echoes of Polo without being know as "the guy that still wears Polo." Wish it lasted longer; need to carry a spritzer to make it through the day.

Pros: Tobacco, tonka, patchouli
    Cons: Minimal sliage"

15 October, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

JV with leather and tobacco

Flankers, it seems are too often less about variation and more about marketing. No so here. Vintage clearly has the bones of the original, with some nice tobacco and leather that give it an old school feel to it. Its a mature scent, and an evening sent. It is also very good. Better longevity than the original. I think I prefer the the other, but this one is very nice, and projects better as well.

10th August, 2013

EdCSplash's avatar
    EdCSplash

Vintage Splash sample vial review

great sample splash. will def. buy a full bottle.

long lasting, good projection.

I hope my real bottle is as good a the sample vial

Pros: floral, not super strong, classic barbershop
    Cons: a bit boring for the young'uns"

11th July, 2013

thines01's avatar
    thines01

True to its name

This stuff is true to its name.

It is a delicious, comfortable, creamy dressed-up man from the mid-1970s.

This could be a signature scent for the confident man who makes no apologies for his decisions.

This has a real barber-shop smell and is perfect for the over 30 crowd.

Pros: Smells great and retro
    Cons: Smells retro

29 May, 2013

noideawhatimsaying's avatar
    noideawhatimsaying

Absolutely superb. I am SUPER picky with my fragrances, and this is the epitome of a great Fall scent. It's wearable unlike niche. It's like - pumpkin/vanilla/tobacco, or SOMETHING of that. Maybe fig. It's just superb.

20th April, 2013

K.O.D.'s avatar
    K.O.D.

I get soooo many compliments with this one. Great winter scent, women love it. This is my favorite one I own so far.

14 January, 2013

King Slender's avatar
    King Slender

Absolutely incredible! My bottle is from 2007.. and I swear it is getting better as the months go by! A mouthwatering opening that gives the impression of a fine cognac, while the heart emerges with some spices, patchouli and a hint of jasmine. I get a clove accord in this fragrance, and I wonder if that is the Balsam fir i'm detecting? It smells so seductive. The base is flawless. Leather, tobacco, tonka.. all the while that light clove scent is lingering around! This is hands DOWN.. one of the sexiest, most alluring scents that I have ever smelled. I wore this to a strip club one night.. and I was getting stopped (by naked women) like I was a celebrity or something! I personally hated the original Varvatos.. and I don't really care for the others. But this one is something special. So special, that I barely wear it. I have zero longevity issues. Lasts all day. Perfect for cooler nights. Can be worn in the day, but its a dark frag, and is best suited for night wear. Formal occasions, dates, bars, strip clubs etc. basically any place where you will find attractive women. Guys, if you will believe nothing I ever say.. believe this: This fragrance will make you IRRESISTABLE TO WOMEN. They will be intoxicated with the smell.. and you will win the battle, and the war.

22 November, 2012

BriGuy's avatar
    BriGuy

One of my signatures. I love this one! It's a complex fragrance which gets GREAT compliments. The projection is short lived, so a mini or atomizer to refresh is a good idea.

UPDATE: The projection is fantastic for about an hour. After that it stays VERY close to the skin. As for longevity, I have gotten well over 10 hours on this cologne; although, most of that is not projected at all.

This fragrance is GREAT for me at work, since the projection is subtle and unobtrusive. I just got home from a long day and can still smell traces of it on my wrist after applying it 14 hours ago.

06 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2012)

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Nice smelling fragrance. The only flaw with this one is the longevit. Only last about three hours on my skin. If it wasn't for that, I would have gave this one a thumbs up.You will receive compliments with this one.

13 September, 2012

Teach13's avatar
    Teach13

I began reading up and trying fragrances a couple months ago. Vintage was one of the first scents I tried. It was, and still is, my favorite scent that I have worn to date. A nice, fruity smell to start. Turns into what I see as a classy man as it dries. Was the first scent that had me bringing my wrist up to my nose time and again for more. Lasted a good eight hours on me. When my wife smelled it, she liked it as well, but her first thought was of the holidays...so once the weather cools down a bit, this will be my next purchase.

13 August, 2012

Bobster's avatar
    Bobster

Yes as everyone has noted the scent life on this is between the 3-6 hour mark but my gosh in those hours this is AMAZING!!!!!Masculine all the way and I love it. I wore this two days in a row and in those two days I received two compliments from two different people.The scent alone makes up for its poor longevity. Try it out and if you come in contact with someone between the life of the scent I bet you will get a compliment. I know I did.

15 July, 2012

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

exotic and sexy...duration should be prolonged

20th June, 2012

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Varvatos Vintage is becoming fast one of my favorites, I am a fan of fougeres and enjoy all powerhouses of the 70's and 80's and very rarely I like the newer fragrances, but this one kinda breaks the mold of "modern aquatic" garbage and really offers a feast for the nose. Coniferous but with a patchouli kick in a very sweet (tonka bean) background that slowly develops into a tobacco/leather base. A winner in my book

10th August, 2011

Mapletop's avatar
    Mapletop

I realy love this fragrance and I don't say that often. I have to agree with the other basenoters that said this fragrance is romantic and masculine. At first sniff I thought that it had fig or a date fruit note even though the pyramid does not include those. Others have mentioned that this fragrance is weak or does not last long. I have to disagree as the fragrance evolves quickly. The drydown is amazing, suede, tobacco.

06 August, 2011

yoyo's avatar
    yoyo

very spicy, reminds me of some spice used in some Chinese dishes. Also the smell of tobacco is very noticeable. Not a very special scent.

21st July, 2011

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Complex modern fragrance, as usual for Varvatos, this is the one of the brand i prefer. The combination of aromatic notes of mountain, patchouli, flowers, smoke and suede turns out, few hours later the first spray, as a smooth dark blend of pipe and mellifluence with nuances of obscure flowers and with a vintage after smell carried by the link of lavender and santolina. The camphoraceous smell of the latter is combined with the lovely juniper berries, fennels, oakmoss, lavender, obscure spices and fir resin in order to exhale a cool vintage-potpourri aromatic whiff that is combined with the modern suede, jasmine, quince paste, bitter alcoholic elements, a touch of balsams and creamy smoke. The fragrance keeps a certain level of drought and is pleasant, leathery, fruity and dark. The note of patchouli is the masculine scale of elements and the link among those. Some woods bring structure and mildness to the base. The wake is an alternation of soapy and dry chic whiffs. The dark modernism is focused on the combination of rhubarb, jasmine, quince paste, aromatic absinth-fennels, smoky suede and balsams. Yes, an alternative for a romantic spring time night out.

01st June, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st February, 2012)

robyogi's avatar
    robyogi

I feel pretty much the same way that Live Jazz feels about this one. I tested it without paying attention to reviews, notes, press releases, or anything like that. The word "vintage" caught my eye, as did the leather on the bottle, and so I figured I'd give it a whirl. The opening seemed a little boozy to me. Like the fruity sweetness of tobacco with the tingle of herbs and spices. I have a small bottle of Croatian Rakija that has this herbal, slightly sweet smell, something like that. An okay start, but nothing groundbreaking. (And, frankly, looking now at the notes above...good lord, where are they coming up with these notes? Have they just taken all reigns off the marketing team - "write whatever you think sounds like it will sell, guys! Dudes like juniper and fir and tobacco and suede...don't they?...and santolina sounds so exotic!") And then, generic male base #2. I give up.

04 May, 2011

Akronite's avatar
    Akronite

I'm glad I didn't buy this one without first giving it a test drive. This is a delicious scent, complex, interesting, dense, right up my alley, an instant classic. However, to my grave disappointment, the scent had almost completely disappeared from my skin after a mere two hours. Otherwise, this scent would have easily and surely been one of my all-time favorites.

14 April, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

A different, interesting, and somewhat dark fragrance from John Varvatos. It took me a couple wearings to figure out the opening. At first I thought fig fig fig.. As many of the reviewers claim, however I think the pyramid is more accurate with the berry assessment. The result.. berry potpourri. That's it! it smells exactly like berry potpourri. I don't mean the Glade spray, I mean the legit potpourri, with the wood pieces, pine cones, acorns, cedar shavings, etc.

While there is no fig listed in the pyramid, the berries in here certainly give off the fig smell. Typically, I'm not fond of juniper berries, but they are done excellently in Vintage. The fragrance does sit close to the skin, and longevity is a bit spotty, but like the original, I think the more exotic skin scent persona adds to its charm. Although it would be amazing if they made an intense version of this, or an EDP.

In a nutshell; berry potpourri, figs, patchouli, cypress, with some light florals in the background are what dominates the first 2-3 hours of this fragrance. The base, to my nose has the leather accord similar to the original JV; I get no tobacco, as the pyramid says -- I get this for the remaining 2-3 hours.

Again, this doesn't project as much as I would like, but I feel that it still serves its purpose. This is a different and more intimate fragrance. For those that want something very different, with less projection, this is the way to go. Longevity is hard to say after the 4 hour point, because it's so faint, mostly a dry berry and leather.

19 March, 2011

SmellyNinja's avatar
    SmellyNinja

Could have been a real winner. Warm. Romantic. Mature. Sophisticated. All good words to describe this offering.

Sadly, as others confirm, it's gone within a couple hours.

01st February, 2011

obscura's avatar
    obscura

I really wanted to like this one--there was something initially appealing to me about the romantic masculine image evoked by the lavender, tobacco and suede that burst through from the very beginning. However, this ends up smelling a bit too thin, more like a sad wisp of a memory than like your grandfather's leather armchair. The basic structure is definitely there, but it needs a bit of meat on its bones.

That said, my wife loves this one, so I own a bottle plus the aftershave balm.

01st February, 2011

megamrexclusive's avatar
    megamrexclusive

This cologne was a walk in buy for me. I was in Macy's, and just walking around trying to find a fragrance that was different and made me say wow. I smelled this and that was it, I didn't smell anything else it's definately unique. Think of the drink Berry Juicy Juice but with light musk metal alcohol smell thats exacally what this smells like mature but yet suttle. Grown and Sexy Scent for sure.

15 January, 2011

Safetyjon's avatar
    Safetyjon

I find Vintage to be an interesting woody chypre. Sometimes it smells like it's almost a gourmand. When I first tried it, it made me think of gin. This makes sense, since the juniper berry is one of the primary ingredients in the production of gin. It is sweet, but not excessive or cloying. I don't like most sweet fragrances, but I do enjoy JV Vintage. The sillage is not excessive. Nice manly dry-down with patchouli, leather and a prominent tobacco. Longevity on me is 8-10 hours. I like JV Vintage. It's is in my rotation and wear it when I want a safe, non-offensive fragrance...usually every couple of weeks. Overall, I give it a thumbs-up.

05 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2011)

fitch256's avatar
    fitch256

I wish these JV scents lasted longer, they are superb! This one is a slightly sweet tobacco scent. The juniper berries and patchouli mix well with the tobacco and suede to make this one very pleasant and more versatile than the original JV, however like the original, this one does not last well. 4 hours max out of this.

25 September, 2010

Brutus's avatar
    Brutus

A sparkling and somewhat "Disney" Christmas cider out of the bottle that mellows into a spicy, quasi-aquatic patchouli and jasmine accord. This smells for a while like a nice potpourri one might encounter in mom's guest bathroom. After a while the pinks of the patchouli begin to recede, but never completely vanish, and we have a linear sweet-aquatic jasmine middle, somewhat reminiscent of Cool Water. This begins to sour ever so slightly on my wrist somewhere as the middle fades. I don't get any of the tobacco. Ho hum.

25 July, 2010

freekypeeps's avatar
    freekypeeps

All I can say is this frag for men is the best in decades. I am so sick of the usual limey, musky offerings, when I found this one I was single and just wished I had a partner to spray it on so I could enjoy it completely! (Now I do ;)' )

I'm not sure if it's the leather, the tobacco or just what it is that sets this one apart so nicely, but whatever it is - it works for me!

@Jonattan you are so wrong about it not attracting women! All my gal pals love it too! :o)

15 July, 2010

Force of One's avatar
    Force of One

This was recently given to me as a gift and in totall disclosure I really haven't worn it out yet. That being said, it strikes me as a quintesential daytime-autumn scent, and that is how I plan to wear it when the calendar rolls around. I could see wearing this out to the bar on a Sunday afternoon to watch a football game.

I defintately detect a cinnamon-y heavy pumpkin pie spice scent throughout. I can even agree with those who said it reminded them of a spiced apple cider as well.

While I can't say in complete honestly I think I would have bought this for myself, I do see some potential to really come to like wearing this. As for now I give it a tenuous thumbs up rating

18 June, 2010

baldheadjim's avatar
    baldheadjim

Finally a spicy scent that works well with my skin. The jasmine/patchouli/vanilla-ish scent does a wonder job translating the sweet/spicy top notes into the masculine leathery base notes.

01st May, 2010

photofinish's avatar
    photofinish

Grungy, herbaceous, body odor scent akin to a ripe armpit, that offends with keen efficiency.

29 March, 2010

fragranceluvr's avatar
    fragranceluvr

Nice...but the Original is Better. Varvatos Vintage is a nice enough fragrance, but there is a component that is off-putting or irritating [at least to my nose]; it smells of a rancid, herbaceous "tang", mind you not strong, but still there. This herbaceous note presents itself towards the middle or heart of development. The continuing development of the life of the fragrance is nice, but with the cameo of the herbaceous accord. The sillage of this scent is somewhat soft and wears close to the skin. It is a perfect scent to wear into the office, it's unobtrusive and inoffensive. I like the original John Varvatos better.

31st January, 2010