Neutral Reviews of Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

danieq's avatar

It's been reviewed in terms of specifics quite a lot, so I am not so sure that I can add much in that regard. However, I would like to make a comparison. I find this to be remarkably similar to Keiko Mecheri's Cuir Cordoba. Cordoba lacks the softer shade side, but since that is relatively fleeting on CA, I'm not sure that matters. My opinion is that, for ,your money,,go with Cuir Cordoba for the same feel at half the price and an equally beautiful and classy bottle.

19th September, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

On my skin, Cuir Amethyste starts out very fruity, with a soft leather stepping very quickly from the background. This leather is mild, smooth, and creamy - a fine ladies' glove, not boots or a saddle. The candied fruit persists to join some lively floral notes in a very sweet accord that dominates the heart of Cuir Amethyste. At this point the whole composition starts reminding me of a buttery, apricot filled dessert.

The mellow leather continues to recede, but the fruit doesn't loosen its grip for some time, before the vanilla-dominated drydown gets underway.

Cuir Amethyste seems very similar to Serge Lutens's Daim Blond, though even more intensely fruity. In fact, I think of it as a simpler, sweeter, and louder variation on Daim Blond's suede and apricot theme. It's pleasant enough, but hardly unique, and far too "pretty" for me to wear.

11th June, 2014

RichNTacoma's avatar

I usually dislike powerdy perfumes, but this is nice. A sweet floral (violet) at first that is balanced by something a bit darker; this must be the "leather" accord, which seems very light. It is certainly pleasant, far more so than the description of the notes would suggest. As a note, I like the violet accord. It almost seems like Iris, but is distinct. I dislike Iris as a note, and this seems to approach it but stays distinct and pleasant to me. The overall impression is fresh with a bit of depth, and stays fairly close to the skin. It is one that I keep thinking I should spray more of, but worry that it is just I that cannot detect its strength, and worry about blowing others away with too much.

Two hours in, and the violet note is dominant, and the fragrance becomes less enjoyable to me. Four hours in, and this has become nice again. It is now an absolute skin scent, with a gentle wood that is almost sandalwood like, the violet is less sweet, and just a earthy floral.

Between neutral and a thumbs up. I will go with neutral since it is so expensive (not a factor in the scent, but for a coin toss, why not) and for the performance.

22nd December, 2013

's avatar

A little unbalanced... too much violet for me. It's harsh and metallic. I dont think i would buy again. It's very unique though. Longevity is great, around 8 hours.

29th October, 2012

mi-cuit's avatar

The opening for me is the exact wet dirt and green shoots of Patchouli Patch, which I greatly enjoy. Cuir Amethyste then segues into a slightly less bright and fruity version of Daim Blond's apricot suede; a stage that persists for several hours while fading slowly into a greenish hum. I appreciate both Patchouli Patch and Daim Blond, but I find Cuir Amethyste muddled for seemingly combining these disparate fragrances. Overall, it's nice, but derivative. Highly over-priced for something this derivative.

11th November, 2009

bbBD's avatar

Armani tries to combine leather with violets and sadly fails on both counts. Leather in perfumery is an olfactory image created by other ingredients such as birtch tar, styrax, etc. and unfortunately the ingredients in Cuir Amethyste to my nose don't create a true leather. Instead they hint at something resembling leather, which in and of itself isn't such a bad thing but in a fragrance named "Cuir" I'd hoped for something more. The violet nose is devastatingly strong and sweet, and if it were intended to balance the dryness of the 'leather' it does so all too well. As with many Armani fragrances, C-A comes off as unduly synthetic smelling to my nose - again, not necessarily a bad thing but in this case it is.

I tried - I really, really tried to like Cuir Amethyste. I sampled and wore it dozens of times after scoring a handful of the inexpensive refill bottles at Marshalls for $30 a piece, always hoping that perhaps I just wasn't 'getting' the fragrance. I finally passed along the bottles to someone who appreciates the scent more then I do. I'm sure there's a hidden value to C-A that I'm simply not recognizing because I just don't like the fragrance. I'm always a bit suspicious of any fragrance that goes from $170 to $30 within a couple years.

25th October, 2009

rinosaur's avatar

Violets, suede, and leather. Its pretty feminine to me, I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing it. I'm fine with true unisex such as the CKs but this one crosses over. I think the name hits it right on, amythyst is a very appropriate stone/color to match this fragrance. It definately smells of a quality fragrance.

24th June, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Violet and leather really, really get to those who can't stand them. Here, it gets to me a little. But I can see the appeal. A nicely made leather scent that's sweet. And there's a rose note too. Rose and leather seem to be coupled like woods and amber or vanilla and lavender. The more I smell Cuir Amethyste, the more feminine it smells. It gets fruitier with age but stays with its main accords of violet and leather.

18th April, 2009

A sample of Armani Privé Cuir Amethyste was included in a long ago shipment and I avoided even smelling it for months because there are three notes in here that I regularly dislike in fragrances: violet, birch, and leather. I thought it was fated that I should hate this. Well, the birch I don’t even notice. I do dislike the violet… it annoys me. The leather, on the other hand, is quite tolerable – one of the few leathers that I can say that about: I think it is more suede than leather and it has a creamy rather than a sharp, rustic, rawhide feel, causing me to agree with its similarity to Daim Blond. Underneath that uncompelling violet note there resides a very pretty fragrance: It’s leather / violet combination might be close to irresistible to someone who loves violet. Armani Privé Cuir Amethyste is well made and, unlike many other Armani fragrances I’ve tried, it actually has no longevity problems. I think that it is a tiny bit uninspired and quite a bit overpriced as are many things Armani, but it’s a well-made enjoyable fragrance – a good one.

25th January, 2009