Reviews of L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

The sense of smell is so closely linked with memory that a personal association can either make or break a fragrance. Unfortunately, I get nothing but dry, smokey incense wafting through Catholic mass - so much that I half-expected to be pelted by a shower of holy water. And even though a very nice vanilla note joins in at dry down, the frankincense-type accord dominates. Incidentally, this is the first fragrance that gave me a splitting headache.
09th May, 2017
Not a crowd-pleaser, so I think it takes a little self-confidence to pull off a fragrance like this. All in all, it's simply a fascinating piece of artistry by Andy Tauer that I always look forward to wearing and enjoying- just for me!
07th May, 2017
Being number 14 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

Opens with - for me - no sign of any citrus or petitgrain, but rather betrays its origins and genre as an incense fragrance with a resinous accord. Continuing the theme in my personal testing of rarely experiencing all or indeed most of the listed notes (and, I think, after some practice, this is due more to the notes not being there in discernible form rather than my own neophyte status), I do not detect any florals, but rather a gentle incense remains over the first phase and at this point LDDM is pleasant but hardly different from any number of other incense fragrances.

However, once the drydown appears it is absolutely glorious - a melding of cedar, vanilla, perhaps a touch of sandalwood and some very natural-smelling ambergris. These notes work in complete harmony and once established go through the gears in terms of potency, to the point where there is some contiguity with some fougere-type, powerhouse scents. And in fact, I find this a good way of characterising LDDM: the additional sweetness makes it superior for me than obvious oriental comparisons such as Jaipur and Ambre Sultan, but also gives it a kick of potency that brings it just short of, say, Troisieme Homme. The listed spice elements are there, but happily for me, more of a suggestion than prominent and discernible individual notes.

In short, then, LDDM is a completely accessible and highly evocative oriental that does a terrific job of crossing some boundaries, albeit in a minor way. Performance is at least acceptable over the lifetime of the scent, despite a kind of "bell-curve" effect, with the performance dropping off discernibly at about the nine-hour mark. And the quality, that drydown - all in all, terrifically conceived, wonderfully blended, and certainly a must-try.
01st January, 2017

Pleasantly surprised by L'Air du Desert Marocain. A very nice opening that reminded me of Blue Escapade 24 by Krigler. Even though it's not listed in the notes for LADM, I'm smelling a heavy dose of fig with this fragrance. There are also some very smooth woods and wonderful spices that are quite pleasing to my senses. Just a marvelous blend of notes that produces an amazing smelling fragrance. I would definitely love to add this fabulous scent to my collection. Two thumbs way up.
28th December, 2016
I am a novice so I could not possibly explain the olfactory experience but I really like it.
I have been looking for something specific for about 5 years - and this is it (OK, maybe not quite IT but pretty close). It does not evoke the desert to me, but more a forest, and fresh cedar sandalwood breezes. When I was a kid my father travelled to India and brought a small piece of sandalwood back to Russia with him. And obviously, I had never smelled anything like it, it was so shocking and delectable and exotic. I remember sitting in the kitchen, smelling the tiny wood fragment, while staring outside at the green forest, and marvelling at it all. that it kind of like how this smells to me. I think this scent smells great on a woman.
14th October, 2016
A bit of a disappointment from the note pyramid and reviews I read. This opens with a blast of very dry powdered artificial orange drink mix from the Petitgrain. Coriander makes an appearance and as it dries down it takes on a vanilla and dry powder vibe that is very close to natural Ambergris. Ambergris is usually used as a fixative- trouble is it's not fixing anything here. Not a scrubber, but something is off-putting for me.
27th June, 2016
Meriem Show all reviews
L'Air du Desert Marocain is a bit of a disappointment, while being really quite lovely. On the one hand: it is indisputably an elegant, subtle composition, a deft work of olfactory art. On the other: for me at least, the individual notes never quite merge into a cohesive whole; it's almost too protean over the long haul to be wearable or truly interesting. On application, the notes are a clanging masculine shout full of spices, nothing special or distinct, but somehow promising. This initial blast settles quickly, and it becomes a (thankfully) mellower blend of spices and woods against a sweet resinous amber, with just a dash of a subtle and pleasant floral note. True to its name, the scent is somehow very dry. It smells to me like something a djinn would wear -- so also true to its name. But the scent continues to change, with different notes coming to the forefront and receding, rather than blending into something harmonious. At one point, I swear it smells like carpentry, all raw wood, metal, and oil. Yes: on me, it takes a turn as l'Air du Woodshop. Not only does it not seem to blend into a coherent composition, it doesn't blend at all with me. I'm not wearing it; it's hovering over and around me. Wearing l'Air du Desert Marocain is like going on a date with a wonderfully attractive, charming, witty person who really isn't interested in me. It is too polite to not be charming and witty, but is not really engaged in the conversation. L'Air du Desert Marocain is brilliant, beautifully composed, and interesting, but I have no chemistry with it. As a quibble, I have a lot of scent memories attached to North Africa, and the notes of this honestly don't connect with me and make me think "North Africa." Of course, that may be a highly personal evocation, but that failure to connect emotionally with my memories and expectations might be part of why it leaves me a bit less than enthusiastic. On someone else, I might truly appreciate this.
22nd April, 2016 (last edited: 23rd April, 2016)
The spicy/fresh/sweet mix might be the best way to describe Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain, a crowd favorite otherwise classified as a woody aromatic. Certainly the woody base is there, topped off by some coriander and cumin to give it some vegetable-ish sharpness/spiciness. The sweetness allegedly comes from the amber per the notes breakdown but it almost strikes me as something different.

To its credit, I can't really compare LADDM to anything else off the top of my head. The fresh spicy aspect of it likens it to Calvin Klein Euphoria Intense, or perhaps another Euphoria flanker, and the sweetness almost makes it lean gourmandly toward Dior Feve Delicieuse, though fans of the latter would surely point of the differences. Still, it at least comes to mind.

It's a good performer, strong in terms of both projection (especially the first hour) and longevity. Redolessence wisely advises that while this can be dressed up, it's not terribly versatile, nor for warmer weather.

Agreeable but not an all-time great to me as it is to many, I probably wouldn't buy a bottle but it's an interesting try.

6 out of 10
01st March, 2016
The opening is promising but within 20 minutes it transitioned into a steady accord that is not quite right for me.
25th February, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is of substantial heaviness and density, with a bright but slightly resinous cumin pairing with a very nicely done coriander. A certain softly spicy sultriness lies over these initial moments, and this all is very finely counterbalanced by a carefully intertwined petitgrain that is just adding a whiff of freshness that is an exquisitely employed counterbalance to the other, richer top note components. Beautifully done.

The drydown predictably turns floral, jasmine predominantly with a touch of rose, and is less complex than the too notes are. The base is woodsy mainly, but a synthetic ambergris tries to add variety. To stay in the marketing image conjured up - rightly or wrongly - this could be construed as a slightly fresh-salty breeze from a salt-crusted chott lake across the hot lands.

The perfomance is superb with fairly strong sillage, excellent projection and a marvelous ten hours of longevity on my skin.

Overall the too notes are a masterfully crafted composition, whilst the rest is not on the same heights as he beginning. Quite overtly synthetic at times, the sublime first part and the great performance secure it a top score with ease. 3.5/5.
13th January, 2016
I ordered this as a blind buy some time ago, based on the nearly universal praise it gets (Luca Turin wore it for his wedding ffs).

I agree it's a very beautiful composition. Rich and balanced, but not at all aggressive. It has that oldschool "full bodied" quality, with dry notes of vetiver/patchouli, soft and rich citruses and smokey woods and resins. All tied together by sweet musk/vanilla. (I must emphasize that last part, there is a LOT of vanilla, for me it works but if you don't like vanilla you may want to keep away).

But i am failing to see why everyone is THAT excited about this? It's likeable, well mannered and very nice. But to my nose it's not unforgettable or irresistable. A great perfume should have one of those two qualities, a masterpiece should have both.
30th November, 2015
ad_scott Show all reviews
What first comes to mind is being at a medina in Marrakesh surrounded by stalls and vendors selling a vast array of spices and wooden trinkets. It is midday and the sun is beating down. Warm gusts of wind pass through the medina levitating dust from the ground and mixing it with the smoky, comforting aroma of pipe tobacco drawn and exhaled by wandering old men. A few yards away from the spice stall is a cookie vendor; the essence of vanilla drifts over the various spices displayed upon sun-baked wood. A luxury 3rd world.
11th November, 2015 (last edited: 01st June, 2016)
There’s nothing in this world that smells quite like Andy Tauer’s L’Air du Desert Marocain, except for, well, the actual air above the desert that inspired it, I suppose. Trying to describe how it smells is almost as challenging as wearing it.

The best way I can put it is this: it smells like someone went out to the desert, collected a pile of rough, ancient amber resin, boulders, fallen meteorites, and minerals, sandblasted them all down to a fine dust, loaded it up into a canon and shot it into space. Now imagine you are floating above the earth’s ozone layer, just where the daylight of earth fades into the deep navy of outer space, and you breathe in this space dust. L’Air du Desert Marocain smells like this. Not directly of the sandblasted materials themselves but of the thin, dry, almost electric air surrounding the particles.

Then, later on, it smells of hot, arid paper, with its cedar and vanilla-resin notes.

You are standing in a paper factory. The air conditioning machines are short-circuiting and are blowing the stacks of A4 printer paper off the tables and into the air. The employees look up in dismay – their work for the day, thousands and thousands of sheets of paper floating around their heads! But they breathe in deeply, unable to resist the peculiar pleasure there is to be had in huffing the smell of newly-minted paper and the slightly sweet, dry smell of drying chemicals and lignin it leaves on the air around them.

L’Air du Desert Marocain is a masterpiece of modern perfumery, and perhaps the first perfume I’d recommend to anybody wishing to experience what perfume beyond the shelves of their local Sephora can be. It is an evocative, beautiful travelogue perfume that’s scaled to Laurence of Arabia proportions.

As a personal perfume, though, I find it to be kind of difficult to wear on a regular basis. Its dry spices and resins are so monolithic and all-encompassing - so full of its own personality - that it doesn’t allow me to impose any of my own.

There’s also a sweaty moment in the perfume that always sneaks up on me unawares – the cumin and coriander, I guess. It smells specifically of a male sweat. It’s not unpleasant, just startling. Timbuktu has a similar, ghostly apparition in its development, a lurch so sudden towards the smell of a male (or a male aftershave) that I keep looking around the room to make sure that I am, in fact, still alone.

But I own this beauty, oh yes I do. Sometimes, I just take the bottle cap and huff it throughout the day, like a junkie in withdrawal doling out teaspoons from a bottle of cough syrup. Other days, I commit myself 100% to its mood-shifting, transporting character and put six to eight sprays of it on, all the time knowing that this is all I will smell of for the next 48 hours. Either way, there’s no middle way with a perfume as uncompromising as L’Air du Desert Marocain.
09th September, 2015

Airy, dreamy and peaceful. A meditation. Perfect construct of amber, spices and incense. Truly unique and one of my very favourite fragrances.
05th September, 2015
One of the very best fragrances I have ever had the pleasure to wear. Incredibly well constructed, well blended spicey wood, perhaps even oriental, composition from Andy Tauer. I had heard and read all the rave reviews and finally picked up a sample. I was stunned, to say the least. I get an opening accord of eastern spices, difficult to pick any one of them out on it's own. The middle is a bit of rose over cedar and vetiver. There's also a touch of sweetness to the middle, somewhat caramel like, yet very faint.

Great fall-winter fragrance. My only complaint is that I didn't get the longevity of many other reviewers, but it may be the local humidity or perhaps my sample is old. I need to order this one. Fantastic scent.
26th August, 2015
Yum!
Combines all of the elements of a precision, casual elegance. It evokes the image of an incredibly handsome young man, 30's-40's,wealthy,worldly, dressed in his bespoke jeans.
Ultra Modern, Ultra Sexy, Ultra, well, everything.

All of these things, I am not, soo, it gets 4.5 Stars.
5 if I could turn back time and rewrite my story!!

Another thing, quite remarkable. It sparks the brain cells that, that lead to the transcendence that is Mysore.
18th August, 2015 (last edited: 07th January, 2017)
This outstanding exotic composition is basically an exercise in fragrant seeds (lots of cumin and coriander) enlivened by a touch of flowers and citrus and resting on an extremely well-executed oriental base of amber, vetiver, and woods. L’Air du Désert Marocain works seamlessly, is highly gratifying, and manages to contain all the characteristics of a great and compelling fragrance: a striking and distinctive opening, smooth transition between phases, a gorgeous drydown, exceptional longevity and tenacity, and enough details and subtleties to charm and intrigue you. Here is one hyped-up fragrance that truly deserves its passionate and devoted following. A number of previous reviewers express concerns about wearability, however I don’t share them: this is not a particularly difficult perfume to wear, as long as you don’t mind sticking out just a little bit from the general aquatic-sporty mainstream. Go easy on the trigger, though: this one is very strong, and a little will go a long way. Very highly recommended.
01st August, 2015
Masterpiece?? i don't know even how to describe it. Very simple, old school,sort of scents from 80's, yeah there is one note that's beautiful maybe cedar, but it's not enough to be a masterpiece. Luca Turin pointed it as 5 star fragrance,hmmm it's just funny. I would rather go with Armani Prive Bois d'Encens it's much more modern and mainstream and better quality.
04th July, 2015
Emoe Show all reviews
its a nice scent, and as everyone else has said pretty much everything to describe it, nothing more to say!
09th June, 2015
I needed to try this many years ago. No, own it years ago. The imagery of windswept spices over night air providing comfort to one resting after a hard day of labor is beautiful and to me, accurate. I am glad I tried it and more glad that I own a bottle.
09th June, 2015
Salutation.

A unique and elegant oriental spicy imbued with an unsettling sensuality.it is like an invitation on a fascinating voyage into the secrets of the orient. wickedly seductive from start to finish.a masculine fragrance at first but the dry down is unisex however it smells better on a man.if you don't like the first spray,please wait until the dry down.it is not for a faint hearted and definitely one worth trying.Rich,Exotic,Sultry,Spicy,Harmonious, Special,Warm, Gloomy,Sensual,Modern and Classic.

Caraway and coriander top notes capture attention with their sleek spiciness and unfold into a floral heart,revealing intoxicating jasmine and sensual rose hip that quickly fades.an alluring base of amber delivers rich depth and mingles with tempering vetiver and dramatic incense for a compelling, seductive appeal.in fact the drydown is a bit sweeter with ambery notes that passionately envelop the skin. it is definitely built for EVENING wear.if you are looking for a unusual frgrance to stand out in a crowd,this is the frgrance to wear.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?About 10 hours on my skin.

7.5/10
01st June, 2015
It'd be difficult to add anything about LDDM that hasn't already been said, copiously.

I shall say, quite simply, that it is an absolute masterpiece and the undisputed crown jewel of my collection.

Powerful. Flawless. Lasting. Sublime.
14th May, 2015
Masterpiece from Tauer. If you like spicy fragrances with a good dose of amber your going to absolutely love this. Extremely well blended with quality notes. LADDM is like an americanized version of a middle eastern spice shop. It takes out all the overbearing and makes it wearable without sacrificing uniqueness. Awesome fragrance!
25th February, 2015
Somehow, this man bottled the Southern California Santa Anna winds. It smells like danger to me. Delicious, fiery danger. What a fantastic fragrance!
08th February, 2015
This pricey EdT is powerful out of the gates. It's spicy with a campfire cedar scent. There is a freshness from the jasmine and vetiver and a slight candy orange smell mixes in (though you have to be close to notice it). The sillage on me is great and someone from far away would probably smell basically exotic spices and fire. What makes it seem more exotic is the floral mixing with the gourmand spices and strong cedar. The citrus (a little like Creed Citrus Bigarrade and AdP Colonia) does continue for some time and the drydown is very sauna like or sunbaked deck wood scent. Very fun.
23rd November, 2014
Wow mind blowing fragrance! It starts out very strong and dries down to a soft petit grain, incense and cedar. To me it smells like an incense store I used to visit when I was a teenager. It stays on the skin for a long time. It is very elegant and exquisite. I imagine Rudolf Valentino wearing this scent. L`Air du Desert Marocain is a true masterpiece by Andy Tauer.
26th September, 2014
One of my very favourite fragrances. I swoon with the cedar on the dry down. It stays with me all day and more. It's very hard to find a fragrance that lasts so long. What does Mr Tauer add? Same goes for Lonestar Memories.
I like Lonestar Memories but it's a more difficult fragrance. I can't just wear it anywhere. Whereas L'air du desert is a sumptuous friend that I don't worry about inflicting on others.
13th August, 2014
Love it. Stings your nose with a sharp smokiness that lasts a long time. I feel like a badass when I step out at night wearing it. Pair it with something a little edgy, stylish, even bohemian from your wardrobe and you're ready for the kill. Department store aquatics don't even stand a chance.
13th August, 2014
I'm bemused by all the raves about this frag. I thought it was a sad, watery Timbuktu wannabe that disappeared in 30 minutes. I'm honestly shocked by all the talk of 12 hours longevity. Are we talking about the same fragrance?!?

No... No... Mr Strong no here.
03rd August, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

L'Air du Desert Morocain opens as a very heavy amber and honey blend, quickly joined by some sweet citrus and a beguiling touch of smoke. Over the first few minutes the honey and amber settle into the background while the smoke intensifies and a very well-rendered tobacco note steps forward. The citrus persists for some time, like a cool breeze that lifts the composition and keeps its sweetness from from becoming ponderous. Some incense pushes its way forward over time, while the sweet amber resurfaces, and then grows more and more dominant. The drydown is sweet, smoky amber and persists for a long time.

This is a complex and impressive oriental scent that will appeal to lovers of the Serge Lutens line. While it's individual notes and tone recall such Sheldrake/Lutens classics as Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Arabie, and especially Fumerie Turque, it's not derivative of them. In fact, it's better balanced and quite a bit lighter, which I think makes it much more wearable. A very fine scent.
19th June, 2014