Neutral Reviews of L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

A bit of a disappointment from the note pyramid and reviews I read. This opens with a blast of very dry powdered artificial orange drink mix from the Petitgrain. Coriander makes an appearance and as it dries down it takes on a vanilla and dry powder vibe that is very close to natural Ambergris. Ambergris is usually used as a fixative- trouble is it's not fixing anything here. Not a scrubber, but something is off-putting for me.
27th June, 2016
Meriem Show all reviews
L'Air du Desert Marocain is a bit of a disappointment, while being really quite lovely. On the one hand: it is indisputably an elegant, subtle composition, a deft work of olfactory art. On the other: for me at least, the individual notes never quite merge into a cohesive whole; it's almost too protean over the long haul to be wearable or truly interesting. On application, the notes are a clanging masculine shout full of spices, nothing special or distinct, but somehow promising. This initial blast settles quickly, and it becomes a (thankfully) mellower blend of spices and woods against a sweet resinous amber, with just a dash of a subtle and pleasant floral note. True to its name, the scent is somehow very dry. It smells to me like something a djinn would wear -- so also true to its name. But the scent continues to change, with different notes coming to the forefront and receding, rather than blending into something harmonious. At one point, I swear it smells like carpentry, all raw wood, metal, and oil. Yes: on me, it takes a turn as l'Air du Woodshop. Not only does it not seem to blend into a coherent composition, it doesn't blend at all with me. I'm not wearing it; it's hovering over and around me. Wearing l'Air du Desert Marocain is like going on a date with a wonderfully attractive, charming, witty person who really isn't interested in me. It is too polite to not be charming and witty, but is not really engaged in the conversation. L'Air du Desert Marocain is brilliant, beautifully composed, and interesting, but I have no chemistry with it. As a quibble, I have a lot of scent memories attached to North Africa, and the notes of this honestly don't connect with me and make me think "North Africa." Of course, that may be a highly personal evocation, but that failure to connect emotionally with my memories and expectations might be part of why it leaves me a bit less than enthusiastic. On someone else, I might truly appreciate this.
22nd April, 2016 (last edited: 23rd April, 2016)
The spicy/fresh/sweet mix might be the best way to describe Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain, a crowd favorite otherwise classified as a woody aromatic. Certainly the woody base is there, topped off by some coriander and cumin to give it some vegetable-ish sharpness/spiciness. The sweetness allegedly comes from the amber per the notes breakdown but it almost strikes me as something different.

To its credit, I can't really compare LADDM to anything else off the top of my head. The fresh spicy aspect of it likens it to Calvin Klein Euphoria Intense, or perhaps another Euphoria flanker, and the sweetness almost makes it lean gourmandly toward Dior Feve Delicieuse, though fans of the latter would surely point of the differences. Still, it at least comes to mind.

It's a good performer, strong in terms of both projection (especially the first hour) and longevity. Redolessence wisely advises that while this can be dressed up, it's not terribly versatile, nor for warmer weather.

Agreeable but not an all-time great to me as it is to many, I probably wouldn't buy a bottle but it's an interesting try.

6 out of 10
01st March, 2016

The opening is promising but within 20 minutes it transitioned into a steady accord that is not quite right for me.
25th February, 2016
I ordered this as a blind buy some time ago, based on the nearly universal praise it gets (Luca Turin wore it for his wedding ffs).

I agree it's a very beautiful composition. Rich and balanced, but not at all aggressive. It has that oldschool "full bodied" quality, with dry notes of vetiver/patchouli, soft and rich citruses and smokey woods and resins. All tied together by sweet musk/vanilla. (I must emphasize that last part, there is a LOT of vanilla, for me it works but if you don't like vanilla you may want to keep away).

But i am failing to see why everyone is THAT excited about this? It's likeable, well mannered and very nice. But to my nose it's not unforgettable or irresistable. A great perfume should have one of those two qualities, a masterpiece should have both.
30th November, 2015
Andy Tauer - L'Air du Desert Morocain
I once tested all of Tauer's perfumes in one go and was sick for 2 days after that; I call it the Tauer's stress-syndrome now... All his perfumes have a sort of chemical sharpness to them, which I guess I am allergic to - so smelling this isn’t an easy task.
L'Air smells like pepper, frankincense, cederwood, styrax, myrrh, labdanum and vanilla mixed down in a slobby fashion where no note climbs up the stage and shows its true character - instead all the individual qualities of the notes get snowed under in a kakafonie of smells that only get to sing in a clear and clean tonality in its late dryout. Still - just smelling some good quality frankincense sorts out a much better effect then smelling L'air, in my opinion. I’m gonna try to scrub this of my hand now with some similar smelling handsoap... I feel Tauer's stress-syndrome taking control of my body now; making my nose, head and eyes hurt and ache, increasing my hart-rate and letting my right-leg nervously shake in a uncontrollable way...
Still in the mist of this all, I can smell that Andy Tauer put his very best in this one - so I hope that there are many people out there that are able to like this perfume. Andy Tauer deserves his succes.
24th May, 2014
The only scent that I've owned from Andy Tauer and probably the one most hyped about.
LADDM is a great oriental. An aromatic woody (vetiver / cedar) with an incensy vibe throughout. I totally get the concept of the desert air - the bazaar is nearby with its fragrant spices and other cooking ingredients; locals are out shopping, most of them dressed with the red Tommy Cooper fez hat, speaking their local dialect. Reminds me of a scene from one of the Indiana Jones films.
Quite unique and definitely one to try out first if you are new to orientals. Worth sampling first.
Where would I wear this? Haven't got a clue. A great scent as I said, but this is mostly art rather than elegance.
09th January, 2014
incense stick

For people that love incense, spice and dry perfumes, for me smells like a incense stick burning inside a marocan bazar, Not my tipe of perfume.

04th June, 2013
Quartz Show all reviews
When I smelled the sample I received, I immediately thought of a urinal cake in a men's room. After hesitating to apply it, I finally did and found that it reminded me a lot of Tauer's Incense Extreme. It's got this "old house with an unfinished damp basement" smell, just like Incense Extreme. I don't think I noticed any cedar or vetiver in this one. It just had an odd smell to it. I'm thinking that the Tauer line is not for me. I will, however, say that I'm always amazed how people can have such widely varying takes on fragrances as most people seem to love this one.
29th April, 2013 (last edited: 29th April, 2016)
The love this fragrance receives and the superlatives used by reviewers in describing their reactions to it make it a must try. The opening is impressive. Smoke. Lemon. Minerals. Amber. Spices. Salt. All that and still it dries down to something dry and austere. As it continues drying down it mellows and improves and leaves something very nice smelling. Yes very nice. Very nice indeed. I think one previous reviewer hit the nail right on the head: "Carmex Lip Balm." Suffice it to say that my Arabian fantasy does not include smelling this perfume in my tent. Or sharing my lip balm.
06th December, 2011
Well call me a sampler but I really didn't get the hype. It is nice, spicy and incensey, but I just can't keep myself comparing it with Jubilation XXV. If you have the king, you do not need this.

01st December, 2011
Exactly what Mrblah wrote...

Wonderfully constructed, with a complex development from application to drydown. Andy Tauer is very talented.

This is as "niche" as a scent as I have experienced. I could not imagine wearing LDDM on a regular basis.

To me, this scent isn't about a Marocain desert; it is about spicy eggnog, fruitcake, and heavy wool turtleneck sweaters on an extremely cold Christmas evening.

23rd October, 2011
Is this a complex masterpiece??? Yes. Does it mean I would wear it? No.

It has a predominate incense and amber smell, that goes to floral so it gives a dark, exotic, and spicy vibe. This is also one of those fragrances that the wearer might like it, and everyone else in the room might not, especially if they are not use to the incense notes.

I can't think of an occasion I would wear this and enjoy it.
07th October, 2011

drseid Show all reviews
I am afraid this scent is not really my thing. I don't *dislike* it, but I am not feeling it either. I enjoyed the top notes and was optimistic based on all of the praise I have heard about the scent and its descriptors from folks, but alas it was not meant to be...

After the enjoyable aromatic top notes I just get a lot of amber and a hair of spice. I like spicy scents in general, but there really is not *enough* spice here and *too* much amber (with a hint of the vanilla others have mentioned previously mixed in for good measure). I am afraid it just does not work well and is rather boring in my opinion.

Bottom line is Tauer deserves a lot of credit for using quality ingredients and going the extra mile in their entire customer-focused approach, but at the end of the day it all comes down to whether you enjoy the scent, and in my case the answer is I am indifferent to it so I give it a 2.5 star out of 5 neutral rating.
27th August, 2011 (last edited: 28th December, 2012)
Starts out with a powerful burst of incense and bitter smoke that gradually evolves into a blinding duststorm of amber and vanilla. It goes right to the back of my throat and seems to last forever- and resembles a talcum powder explosion. Difficult to abort mission during this period if you're inclined to do so; the scent is a real super-powered clinger and heavy scrubbing is required. I prefer it in the latter stages when it's powers are mercifully declining. Never the less, very well made but far too strong for me.
29th January, 2011
all i smell is amber, vanilla, and something spicy. I find it for a older crowd and would not advise a younger person to wear this. Definitely this scent does not develop that much. The amber and vanilla is blended well but the incense in the beginning is a bummer. The dry down is nice and if you like ambre precieux but in a more sweeter and incense way, go for it. But people should give this a try because it is unique and i can see people wearing this.
12th January, 2011 (last edited: 14th January, 2011)
In terms of composition, L'air du Desert Marocain is interesting. Andy Tauer took an oriental base of vanilla and amber, and effortlessly blended it with bitter citrus notes and incense. It's the equivalent of pouring BBQ sauce on ice cream and making it taste good. Unfortunately, the scent itself doesn't move me. It's like smelling a common oriental base through a cloud of incense.
05th January, 2011 (last edited: 28th January, 2011)
I appreciate all the praise other posters have heaped upon L`Air du Desert Marocain, and, in theory (based on the notes and my penchant for spicy oriental fragrances), I should love it, too. But my experience has been "WHERE'S THE FIRE?"

I used a sample vial one morning last winter before running out to do some errands. The opening was a flare of spice and smoke, enough to burn one's eyes. But fine--it cooled down rather quickly to the point that I hardly noticed it. About ten to fifteen minutes later, though, I thought something electrical was burning in my condo or an adjoining one. (During winter in New York such things are all too frequent.) In the midst of inspecting the kitchen, I realized the smell was coming from ME--it was this fragrance. False alarm.

I went out into the bitterly cold weather to do my errands, barely smelling the fragrance under a heavy coat. I forgot all about it. Then, about an hour later, while I was driving, I started to smell smoke, spice--and meat(?!?) Surely no one in their right mind would be grilling outdoors in this weather (but then I'm not sure everyone in my neighborhood is in their right mind). Then, once again, I realized the source.

I'm sure this smells wonderful on many individuals, but on me it comes across as "Opium Barbeque."

Fortunately, it didn't stay around for too long.
22nd June, 2010
Future Jason:

You officially believe that everyone should have to re-review scents every 2 or 3 years. You're still neutral on this, but for reasons different than your original review. No longer do you feel that it "went on way too intense, and takes over two hours to chill out on my skin," though you still get the "vaguely medicinal" quality that past Jason smelled.

You get the desert thing. This smells like what Mad Max would wear, if Mad Max did less "eating dog food" and more "modeling couture." Maybe it's the fact that it smells vaguely like tires. Tires and strawberry lip gloss. Put that on your fragrance pyramid.

No one needs any more exposition on this very-reviewed juice; consider it a high neutral that you'll probably never invest in, or a low thumbs up that you're too cheap to buy.

Until you re-review it in 2-3 years.
14th May, 2010 (last edited: 05th February, 2016)
Well, I am definitely in a small minority on this one. In a nutshell, the opening reminds me of a gentler, kinder Ambre Sultan. I get the same pungent, burnt rubber, amber note of which I am not fond. This subsides a bit after an hour or so, leaving a somewhat routine amber/vanilla base. No big woop and nothing I would ever buy again. Isn’t it odd how two people can smell the very same fragrance, with a completely different opinion of what it is they smell? I think the name of this cologne has, perhaps, served to mold many of the reviews expressed here. “L’Air du Desert Marocain" is a lovely name, but in my travels I've never smelled anything in the desert like LDM. No dusty town or sweltering city in North Africa smells like this cologne. Additionally, I am a fan of cedar fragrances and I barely detect the cedar note in LDM. Not to say others are wrong and I am right, but this is simply not my kind of cologne. Too sweet and too tarry. I can see how some would enjoy LDM as a fairly unique niche fragrance, so I'll reluctantly give it a neutral rating rather than a negative. Potential buyers be warned, though: the price tag is hefty so a blind buy would be ill-advised.
21st March, 2010
All these fancy descriptions to flower up a scent which ends up smelling exactly like Angel Men. End of story.
01st December, 2009
jr8399 Show all reviews
L'air begins with a pungent (to say the very least) opening of camphorous honey, herbs and spice. After a while, it begins to show its heart of hot sand, sweet, sun kissed dust and spicy cedar. This, for me, is very nice. It is reminiscent of Terre D'hermes - although denser, darker and sweeter. However, while it is well-blended, as no one has argued to the contrary on that, it seems to just barely miss the mark. I mean that the dusty, spicy cedar with hints of amber in the back could have been beautiful - masculine, rich, deep but sharp. Even though the vetiver is present, it just doesn't overcome that hurdle and plateaus into a fleeting, rather mediocre skin scent that I honestly liken to sweet cardboard - which smells aromatic yet stale. I prefer the benzoin in Terre's base because although the cedar in this one is more rich and almost more likeable, the pungency that keeps Terre afloat on my skin is simply not there. And if you want to compare this to Ambre Sultan, just quit. While the two are similar only in unique composition and amber, Ambre Sultan is far more exotic and sensual - and for me, much more addicting and refreshing. But given all of L'air's positive reviews and fragrance blog praise, let Mr. Tauer send you a sample and try for yourself.
12th August, 2009
Isn't the experience of scent subjective? This was to me an instant flashback to visiting the Honda Motorcycle Dealership on Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco, in 1984 when my roommate worked there. The thick miasma was rubbery, oily, smoky, nasty, mysterious, high testosterone and quite intimidating.

Nice weird little memory of a long forgotten place but I can't imagine wanting to smell like that. TPG gave this 5 stars, so it's me who is wrong, clearly!

03rd August, 2009 (last edited: 17th November, 2010)
lex Show all reviews
at times i do get dry desert air.this spicey scent is nice.im not one of the bigger fans of spices.its ok just not my style.tested it at home for awhile.test drove it in public one day and a compliment came with it.
22nd February, 2009
Does anyone remember Flex Balsam & Protein hair shampoo and conditioner from the 70's? Strangely, this L'Air du Desert Marocain reminds me of Flex! From Tauer's lovely creation I smell incense, and balsam, and vanilla. Dry woods in the base. I can understand the wonder of this gem, but for my own taste ~ it is not particularly wearable. I do find it leans more toward the masculine. If it's incense I'm craving, I'm more likely to reach for Juozas Statkvicius that offers up some jasmine in the mix.
08th January, 2009
A modern surrealist work of art wherein a beehive falls from the sky into a tar pit and the bees not only manage to survive but convert the tar into honey.

In other words, I have to agree with Sir Slarty's assesment. This is one weird mother of a scent and I find it quite interesting, but hard to wear.

I have been informed that it is dry. Not only by so many of you who have reviewed it here, but by a certain female acquaintance who pronounced it so, after a mere ten minutes on her skin. I was astounded as I found the predominant note creamy vanilla , despite the counter-notes. She replied that she found the scent on her skin to be primaraly smoky, with only a hint of sweetness.

Perhaps I should have waited and tested Ruggles' statement that this contains the driest sandalwood drydown on the planet. However, so far I've been waiting for 24 hours, and the drydown is nowhere in sight. No one can fault this one for longevity.

At present, I simply feel an urge to go out to my favorite Moroccan restaurant, flirt shamelessly with the belly dancers, enjoy the exotic main courses, but skip my favorite finale: the delicious kaab el ghzal

It would be redundant.
For me, L'air du Desert Marocain is much more about dessert than desert.
13th September, 2008 (last edited: 18th June, 2009)
Well I agree with purplebird, this is an atmospheric scent.
It really recalls the mix of dust, cold stone, shady zouk, cologne and male skin that reminds me so vividly on my moroccan times... but for my dear who is homesick, it is exactly what I will buy to make him feel better
04th September, 2008
This joins the growing list of what I consider to be "atmospheric" fragrances designed to evoke a place or setting. I like to smell them, but I don't want to smell like them. Apparently there is a demand for environmental aromas in hotels and stores to strengthen memory and feelings of loyalty among customers. People are starting to enjoy man-made fragrances which create a hyper-reality, like smoky bonfires or old libraries. L'Air du Desert Morocain is a clever composition that uses a host of ingredients to deftly imitate lemony frankincense ground to a dusty powder and laid upon polished black leather. It is dry, citrusy, and bittersweet. I could experience a similar aroma by donning a leather jacket and putting my nose into a bag of olibanum. Both are equally enjoyable, but they fall short of constituting an entire perfume. As a point of reference, Messe de Minuit is deeper, more complex, and accomplishes a greater range of contrasts, although it also can be difficult to wear. For use on the skin, I still prefer softer, sweeter, more traditional, skin-compatible scents.
13th August, 2008
Bigsly Show all reviews
Sort of like a dried out version of Opium ("women's"), or even Stetson! I think of it as a potato skin that was left out in the sun to get totally dried out. Now add that to a fragrance like the women's Opium and it's close to this. I also get a kind of peanut butter quality too, but just the slightest hint. I don't really find this to be especially interesting or pleasant, but it's unique enough to earn at least a neutral. If I were to take price into account, I'd rate it as negative. One thing I don't find this to possess is what I call "internal dynamism," and since it's an oriental, you will not get much development over time either. It just sort of lies there, being strange and perhaps hinting at something pleasant now and then, but never really getting there. Was it meant to have this teasing quality? don't get clear cedar, vetiver, or citrus (I did try to avoid top notes, however). Instead, the notes that stand out for me are: "dirty" jasmine, dried potato skin, spices, amber, and vanilla. Perhaps a combination of vetiver, cedar, and incense comes across as dried potato skins to me.

My "newbie" review:

In trying to conjure up an image for this fragrance, it struck me that if I took a potato skin, rubbed some spices on it, sprayed it with some sort of scented cleaning fluid, then let it dry out in the sun for a week or so, this is what would result. It's interesting, but I can't say it's pleasant. I prefer something like Witness instead, which is a lavender/cinnamon with a dusty quality, if I'm looking for something along these lines. It's well done, no doubt, but I can't help comparing to others, and while I'm wearing this, wishing I was wearing something else.
08th August, 2008 (last edited: 14th May, 2010)
a little too heavy for me so a 3/5 - would be a 4/5 if it were lighter.
spicy. like the air above the desert is so filled up with melange (see Frank Herbert's Dune).
the air does not move. it is the centre of the world, under the sun.
not a scent I would wear to work. but maybe a scent I would use to seduce, If I wished to do so...
12th July, 2008