Reviews of V pour Homme by Valentino

A stunning example of the tragedy of modern perfumery:

Safe
Inoffensive
Bland
Generic
Faint

A tad powdery, but not in the classic dandy barbershop fashion.

So faint I must bury my nose in it.

Soft and feminine.

Glad this one bit the dust, let this unicorn fly away.

1.5-2/5

14th January, 2020
stunning masculine fragrance with predominant notes of pepper cacao patchouli while vanila and woods tickle at the back .green sweet gourmand definitely among top 20.
02nd February, 2018
Nice opening… citrus, fruity, a touch of green and a touch of pink pepper. There is a suggestion of synthetic ambiance that doesn’t interfere with the enjoyment of it… Quite enjoyable in a sweet, contemporary, youthful way. The opening exhibits decent sillage and a very nice longevity, too. The sweetness makes way for a neutral floral that takes control of the heart notes: Simple, soft, textured, not overly sweet, and not flowery. V Valentino’s base is a soft, complex multi-note affair that is not at all original, but is done quite well. Too bad it’s discontinued.
17th November, 2017

Powdery sweet with some spiciness in the opening. Wife said I was "wearing one of the smokey ones" when she smelled it but I don't really get smoke, so must be the spice. Later, the drydown is warm, woody vanilla.

Projection is decent. I'd say this is versatile for an occasion but leans more towards a cold weather scent for me.

The spicy top lasts for about an hour. The soft drydown lasts all work day.

01st June, 2017
Salutation.

This masculine scent aims at mysterious,sophisticated and urban men who radiate charisma and modern elegance.it is the fragrance that you might love if you are into oriental scents,emitting a confident, reassuring affection that is royal,yet accessible. sensual and romanatic at the same time. so sweet but in a nice way.

The composition is warm and sensual.it opens with spicy notes of pink pepper,tamarind and bergamot. woody notes of sandalwood and cedar form the heart of the fragrance together with flowers of jasmine and heliotrope.in the dry down the intense and depth of amber,vanilla and cacao bring a sweet sensual trail which envelops the fragrance with its warm and captivating tones.a great scent for a cold evening.

Sillage?Impressive.

Longevity?Great on my skin.

7.5/10
24th June, 2015
rbaker Show all reviews
Orange and bergamot are nicely balanced by a gentle pepper contrast. Green and floral notes are added innthe middle phase, which is a tad flat and dull, but this scents really starts to shine in the base, with ambrette, sandal, cumin and a delicious mild and not-too-sweet tonka combined with a light white musk. This is a delightful base that commences about five hours into the development on my skin. The base notes very gradually fade out over many hours and always retain their beautiful balance. Silage and projection are good, and the overall longevity is exceptional at about thirteen hours, confirming a positive score in spite of the weaker middle phase. Great in spring or autumn or even warmer winter days.
09th May, 2014
drseid Show all reviews
Another Winner From Valentino

V pour Homme opens with a sweet mild pink pepper-laced slightly fruity cotton candy accord with faint underlying traces of cedarwood support. As the progression moves to the early heart the cotton candy-like sweetness dies down but remains as the cedar grows into co-star as an almond and vanilla-like powdery heliotrope joins a relatively clean, sweet jasmine and patchouli tandem in support. As the fragrance enters the late dry-down the cedar continues now as the sole star, with the candy-like sweetness finally evaporating, allowing dry vanilla and light musk from the base to finally shine through. Projection is slightly below average but much more than a skin scent and longevity is average at 7-9 hours on skin.

V pour Homme on first glance should not appeal to me. It is relatively sweet for most of its development and it has a modern style that I tend not to gravitate towards. That said, while I can't entirely explain my enjoyment of the fragrance, enjoy it I do. Something about the mixing of the nicely done cedarwood and what I can only describe as sweet cotton candy (as the notes it is derived from elude me) just works here and displays very good balance throughout. The powder mentioned in the development section of the review is far from problematic to the powder-averse like myself, as it is kept very well in-check, displaying just the faintest sheen from the heart through the finish. The bottom line is the regrettably discontinued V pour Homme is going to set you back about $200 nowadays for a 100ml bottle on the after-market and that is not an easy sell, but price aside the composition is yet another winner from the house of Valentino that earns a "very good" to "excellent" rating of 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5. My advice to non-collectors is to stick to the 2 ml sample vials that still can be bought in bulk on eBay for about $1-2 a piece in volume.

Pros: The cedarwood note used here is excellent and meshes with the sweetness quite well.
Cons: Muted projection, sky-high aftermarket prices and sweetness that could be too much for some.
25th August, 2013 (last edited: 13th December, 2013)
nyguy Show all reviews
Amazing compliment getter

Yeah it's overly sweet but it's MILES better than Dior Homme Intense. This has a manly sweet behind it, smooth vanilla dry down. Something to wear when you feel amazing and successful. Projects and gets you noticed. Smell it...if you appreciate a good fragrance, you'll try and get your hands on it!! Too bad it's discontinued....so sad.

27th May, 2013
After receiving a sample during the Christmas holidays. I had to go get a bottle. The ingredients are blended well. I love wearing this during the winter I feel like a millionaire when I put this on.
13th April, 2013
V is for Very sweet or Very synthetic. There's not too many fragrances that I have to wash off, but this was one of them. The opening is unbearably synthetic and tooth ache sweet. There are some other notes in there that I like, but they're covered by this cotton candy sweetness that make them smell really odd. This is an oriental in the same vein as Givenchy PI, but PI is superior to this. Don't waste your time or money on this one unless you absolutely love super sweet fragrances.
03rd March, 2013
Delicious spicy french oriental fragrance. Very comfortable and well blended. Pepper is in the right amount and the cacao note gives an edge to this fragrance.
Lasting power is great, same with projection and sillage. Definitely worth it.
02nd November, 2012 (last edited: 06th March, 2013)
This is not big on originality- it's basically a rip-off of Mugler's ANGEL, one of the truly unique feminine perfumes in its intense blend of sweet berries (dewberry, strawberry, coconut, honey), chocolate-like Patchouli and a jasmine, rose, orchid heart.

V Pour Homme is amazingly similar, and came out exactly 14 years after ANGEL (1992), after many derivative scents had been created, a number of them by Mugler himself.

If you want the real thing, stick with ANGEL, not this copycat.
13th September, 2012
This is a very incense heavy fragrance. To me it also has hints of lavender. It also seems to last fairly well. It is what I consider to be a "Darker" version of Eternity by Calvin Klein. This is a scent that I like. I don't wear it often as I have to be in the mood for it and that isn't too often. While it does have some originality to it, it's not a very memorable fragrance.
23rd March, 2012

Who would knew that a candy smell can hide so much behind it?
Sweet and aromatic right from the beginning, peppery and woody in the heart, gourmand and flowery at drydown, everything packed very well with a very dry overall feeling that let no space to become cloying or boring over time.
A complex fragrance that blends beautifully with my dry skin, a pleasure to wear in cold weather. In my wanted list for sure. My rank 8.6/10.
08th November, 2011
A warm, brandy opening laced with spun sugar, that rapidly transforms into a mysterious, masculine, after dark aroma of smooth woody sweetness with a noticeably synthetic tone.
16th October, 2011
A very sweet and linear fragrance, with a tasty fruity opening, resembling strawberries (too synthetic by the way). Over time the scent will lose a bit of it's fruit chord, giving space to amber and vanilla.
21st August, 2011
Remember when the Little Rascals would stack up on each others' shoulders and put on a long coat and slacks to try to pass themselves off as an adult?
V pour Homme makes me think of basil-flavored cotton candy with pink pepper ground on top instead of sprinkles, like a weird neuveau-chic savory treat. Like an intrepid child's best impersonation of a classy, romantic grown up.
05th January, 2011
Now discontinued and pretty hard to find is V pH. A very "love/hate" fragrance to say the least. Pink pepper is the dominating note in the opening to me, and actually bares a very strong resemblance to A*Men: Taste of Fragrance. Pink pepper, and gummy bears. The sweetness from the vanilla is pretty beast, and it kind of unbalances this one. It goes from spicy to sweet, to spicy, to sweet. There's incense in the background, and other unique spices (I get a sort of cumin or curry note). Longevity could be better.. I get around 4 hours usually. Projection is well throughout.

Usually I write off unbalanced fragrances like these, but there's something appealing about this one. Also gets me a lot of compliments.
16th August, 2010 (last edited: 11th April, 2013)
It start's out sweet,but then becomes a very warm sexy romantic scent. I would especially recommend for a romantic evening with your girlfriend or wife. I highly recommend this fragrance.
Jernizzle456
23rd May, 2010
A nice, clean, masculine vanilla floral. Not overpowering. Very quiet, pleasant scent...if you want to go for something good, but understated. I'd recommend for any time of the year/any occasion.
05th May, 2010
Slightly dark and slightly tart at first. Maybe its the mace? Very nice oriental that one could easily wear in the summer months because it's so light but it still holds its own in the winter months. I wasn't sure about this one at first but it is now my second top favorite. (Nothing has yet to top Chanel's Allure Homme Sport!)

Numerous compliments on this from the ladies and my fiancee gets annoyed when I wear this out because the other ladies pay so much attention to me. (I'm reminded of one incident when a woman as on the down-wind side of me some 50 feet away and came racing up to me to ask what I was wearing. My fiancee was not amused..haha)
27th April, 2010
Very unique and rich fragrance. I even wear it to sleep, because it is very comfortable and relaxing. I find it similar to 1 million, but in a less invasive way. perfect for date...
22nd April, 2010
I liked it first when I bought it, but have now lost interest in it. I guess you could call it a boring frag.
17th March, 2010
Very nice sweet and cotton candy as everybody says,girls love it cause its very sweet without being cloying (in cool weather) and has a sweet thick wood masculinity!
not for summer.
01st March, 2010
tanto Show all reviews
Despite the many negative reviews, I do like this fragrance. Yes, it starts off sweet but the dry down is very pleasing. On me, it lasts a long time. It has some "cotton candyness" to it but also some amber, vanilla, and some soft oriental notes. Actually, I like this frag in the summer, too. There's something about it that makes it very pleasing to smell and easy to wear. In other words, it is a "soft" fragrance and nothing cloying or harsh. Others have given me compliments whenever I wear V.
06th June, 2009
It is a very sexy sophisticated scent. It does not smell like a old person. It will make any female melt.
15th May, 2009
Really addictive! I picked this up with the deodorant and my girlfriend can't get enough of it, because she's a big fan of cotton candy. The first time I sprayed this on a card I couldn't stop sniffing it.

It's sweet, but it's classy. I definitely recommend trying it, however I realize that it won't be for everyone.
09th March, 2009
I entirely agree with Joshaugustt: no lasting power at all... My skin fault? And plus: I don't understand this stuff, I weare it from time to time trying to understand and like it - no way! Oriental? Spicy? Vanilla? V? What? Don't know what to do with the amount left in the bottle...!!!:-/
04th December, 2008
Holy COW it's sweet! Liquid cotton candy. Starts sweet and dries down sweet. Whew! Not bad - synthetic but smooth. Use very sparingly.
10th September, 2008
Tony T Show all reviews
romantic as cupid. not an everyday frag but for special nights and occasions for cuddling and well you know. fall/winter. too heavy for warm weather.
26th August, 2008