Reviews of Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

The excessively sweet and unpleasantly chemical fruit note that launches Polo Double Black is more tenacious than I’d like, persisting as a core component of the scent’s spiced and sugared heart. A cluster of gourmand cues and a patchouli base note align Double Black somewhat with Angel, but Double Black is both watered down and freshened up by comparison. The artificial fruit, nutmeg, and bland woods feel cheap and generic – more appropriate in depth and quality to a shampoo than to a personal fragrance. For all the crassness of its composition, Polo Double Black collapses quickly into a nondescript sweet woody skin scent. I can only presume that its enormous popularity stems from its sweetness (yummy for teenage girls, the cynics will say,) and its bland affability. Meh.

23 June, 2014

Shifty Bat's avatar

I thought I had reviewed Double Black at least two years ago but there was nothing here. I never would have noticed if the wardrobe random selection function had not bugged out and selected this for me to wear today four times in a row.
    I wish Double Black was better, but as it is this is one of my favorites in the Polo arsenal, falling just short of the original Green and the vintage version of Safari. I love coffee scents but in recent years they've become rather trite, or they will list coffee and produce nothing of the sort (do you hear me, CK Free!?). DB is certainly a coffee scent, with the oft-mentioned mango and pepper sharing the spotlight. There is really little else going on besides that. It's invitingly sweet without being bothersome, is polite enough to wear to work, and while it is linear to the point of boredom it is a pleasant, simple affair. I really like this one because it seems like an attempt to modernize L'Eau du Navigateur (one of the two best coffee scents I've worn) and because LdN is becoming so difficult to find I must give Polo props for bringing back the 'coffee pirate' genre. Now if only they'd make a Triple Black and stick some nice, dirty leather in there.
    For those looking for a coffee gourmand along the lines of Rochas Man that won't stifle a room on hotter days.

03 April, 2014

docbejo's avatar

Very good fragrance with a sophisticated scent .. stays on your skin.. very subtle .. good for office settings
    lacks projection and longevity. 5-8 sprays on my skin.Overall I love it.

14 February, 2014

scentgent's avatar

Being Black Ain't Easy

This is a conservative fragrance. I know many reps who use this as their fragrance of choice because of that fact. It doesn't project much and is a very safe scent.

You first get a blast of mango, which tapers down to an oriental/citrus mix. It makes me feel clean and classy based on the notes.

I have worn this for about two years and have never gotten compliments, but then again, it is a safe fragrance that doesn't project at all.

I get about 4-6 hours of use from this fragrance.

Pros: Pleasant Scent, Professional
    Cons: Name is misleading, Spotty Longevity"

08 October, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

A misnaomer, but not bad

Double Black? That implies, at the very least, richness, intensity or something of the night. This really is a nice tropical fragrance with a bit of wood and pepper. Easy, not challenging, butcompetent. Nothing wrong with this, but nothing thrilling either. An easy to wear summer fragrance with a wee bit of depth. Good longevity on my skin.

18 July, 2013

colognedrinker's avatar

This is a great fragrance. To all of the people saying it doesn't last long, well, you're wrong. This cologne last me 10 hours. The top and middle notes on this cologne is very nice. There are 2 phases to this cologne. When you first spray it on, it smells like spicy mangoes. The second phase will last the longest and it is a very pleasant. It is a very mild smell of the first phase and will also smell like roasted coffee. All I need for this cologne is 2 on the neck and 1 on the chest.

22 February, 2013

Mattybono's avatar

The top and mid notes are so well done and quite enjoyable! The dry-down gives me coffee and a sweet woodsy pipe-tobacco vibe. The base notes are harder for me to find because this version fades a bit prematurely and does not last as long as Polo Black on my skin which is disappointing (but hey maybe its called "double" because you need twice as much ;).... Overall, a great fragrance that can be worn year-round but if Ralph Lauren could extend the longevity a tad they would have an amazing must-buy fragrance that would be near perfection!

05 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2013)

freddiefingers's avatar

I cant really get the edt of this and was wondering if the aftershave can be a good aftershave.that appears to be readily available.
    It's a really nice smelling fragrance and with longevity issues I am wondering if the aftershave can hold

02 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

For a polo frag, I would have to give this a thumbs down. I just expected more out of this one. I would buy Polo Sport before buying this one. Very synthetic. Polo should be ashamed to come out with this. If any frag you decide to discontinue, please make it this one!

03 October, 2012

manicboy's avatar

Confusing CV. Have no idea why Ellen Molner thought that Mango, Roasted Coffee and Rich woods would add up to magic. Maybe breakfast in the Amazon? This kind of fragrance is in a long line of Polo frags that started popping up in the 90's to bring the Ralph Lauren brand down the lowest common denominator in men's fragrances. In other words, it won't challenge your tastes and bores me senseless. Double down and DON'T buy DB. It's hideous.

24 September, 2012

photofinish's avatar

Dominant notes of sweetened java and dark woods define the mood of Polo Double Black, encompassing its wearer with the stale odor of a habitual coffee drinker's bad breath.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2012)

dollars&scents's avatar

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren - This pleasant, woody and oriental fragrance opens with a splatter of beautiful mango, lightly seasoned by pepper. This tropical fruity vibe is short-lived, and transitions rather quickly to the awaiting heart. The enjoyable middle has a sweet and soft, roasted coffee note, with the added warmth of nutmeg. A twinkling of juniper berry announces the enveloping base with its spicy cardamon and dry woods. The composition is well blended, and, at times, subtle. Albeit a very enjoyable experience, the longevity and projection are both lacking.

14 November, 2011

Redbeard's avatar

I had mentally pitted this against Armani Code since I bought them at the same time, and had nearly forgotten both. By comparison, this starts out as a stronger, nuttier wood with mango. Very soon the initial spices lose some of their sweetness and become greener and dustier. It's surprisingly dry, both in the sense of not sweet (for a gourmand!) and in its aura of fallen autumn leaves, or a well-executed christmas scented candle; I think this is how my brain is dealing with the hint of coffee. Even though it has some of the usual Ralph Lauren super-synthetic character, it's much less overbearing and more convincingly real than most of their others. It weakens quite a bit by the end, actually falling behind the strength of Code's base notes. Still, the vague nutty wood carries through to the end, and I'm optimistic that with a proper wearing it would remain present but translucent. One of their best, by a wide margin, and surprisingly unique.

26 June, 2011

HDD8's avatar

Oh yes... I like this one. The opening of fresh, sweet mango with pepper is quite unique and the combination really works well. The middle notes - to me - are not over prominent, but they too work oh so well. The rich, woody base adds an overall depth and quality to Double Black.
    I agree with previous comments that longevity could be better, but projection is just right. I've received compliments when I've worn this one, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. In my opinion, this could be worn year round, night or day.

13 May, 2011

apayne182's avatar

Can't give it a thumbs up due to the longevity (projection is not horrible though) and due to the mid and base notes. After the top notes fade (which are by far the best part with a nice mango accord) the fragrance gets worse and i lose interest. that was really a disappointment, but oh well. safe and good for a summer night.

26 March, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Cloying fruity coffee juice. An exotic, pronounced, synthetic whiff of mango slides towards a peppery, spicy, woody aroma of coffee. I detect a strong note of syrupy nutmeg and find it too warm and onedimensional without being me able to perceive any trace of boldness despite the dark patchouli placed on the base. It's hard to find out class and distinction in it. I wish it had been less fruity and a bit fresher and crisper to appreciate it better. I use  to detect an hint of cut off freshness as well as the top notes have faded away. Usually I tend to accept the chemical insertions in parfumery but this scent smells too synthetic in its excess of fruity warmth coffee flavoured. The dosage (and the combinations- with further elements) of the coffee (basically dark coffee) is not proper of a gourmand fragrance but it should have been better the type of aroma to be projected in a more fresh and dry type of texture. Longevity and projection are very faint on my skin and also on this path the scent is a disappointment. Very nice bottle.

25 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2014)

dracdoc's avatar

I like this cologne. It has two phases. Initial phase which is different from its dry down phase. The initial part lasts 1-4 hours on your skin. The drydown lasts around 10 to 12 hours Keep in mind the drydown is completely different than the original scent.

That being said, I love both the initial and drydown scent. My main qualm is that it does not project after about

Starts out mangoey with peppers to an extent. Dries down to a warm woodsy scent.

22 February, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar

Mango, coffee, and a strange fuzzy feeling. Polo Double Black is a warm and fairly exotic fragrance. Quite different from the original Black, as well as the rest of the Polo line; furthermore, as well as the rest of everything on the market. It's mostly a sweet fragrance, but I wouldn't call it a gourmand, it does have a little spice from the pepper and cardamom. Two things that prevent this fragrance from being perfect imo.. 1. It has an accord that reminds me of crayons, I get this smell from CK Obsession Night, and Realities Graphite Blue. And 2, the longevity sucks.. I get 4 hours at best.

I do give it an A- or B+ for being unique, not quite A+ material, it's no Fahrenheit.. It gets a C- or a D+ in terms of longevity. Projection actually isn't too bad, when you consider its lifespan.. 4 hours, it projects well for the first 2, which is half of the fragrance life.. I'd give it a B- in projection, with all things considered. Overall, I believe it's one of the best from the rather boring RL house.. I very much enjoy the original Polo and Modern Reserve -- both of which are solid fragrances. Double Black is almost there, a parfum version for men would be outstanding, but we all know a low budget house like RL will NEVER make such. Anyways, all babbling aside.. Double Black is a fairly solid sweet/spicy oriental/exotic fragrance, not quite comparable to anything in the designer bracket. This fragrance will only work in Fall/Winter though. Overall grade: B-

19 February, 2011

Skorpjon's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

When I use the Double Black I expect that is warmer and stronger than Black, but it is not. No sign of Black not only its name is used, I think RL in the selected name is in trouble! Thin, weak and boring and worst of all that is vomiting. Ralph Lauren never not surprise me and I can say that only the Polo from among those I love.

15 February, 2011

Abs's avatar

This smells exactly like WD40

28 January, 2011

CaliDude's avatar

Got this cologne from a girl's recommendation. Glad I did. It starts off with a peppery mango scent, then drys down to coffee & nutmeg. I blind bought this a few years ago and I'm glad I did. IMO, good for work and play. Three sprays is enough for me for work. Four if I want it to last from morning to the end of the night.

Armani Code reminds me of this scent. I like this more than Code though. Double Black is more multi-dimensional than Code.

26 January, 2011

Guinea54's avatar

This is a nice mango based scent that combines sweetness with pepper. Think of a fresh mango with black pepper being sprinkled on top. I enjoy this one.

My rating
    Scent- B+
    Longevity- C+
    Projection- B
    versatility- B
    Compliments- B
    Overall- B

Pros- A nice scent that combines sweetness of mango with black pepper.
    Cons- Spotty longevity and projection with some people. Not the cheapest fragrance.

08 January, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Not bad. Polo Double Black is fruity oriental from Ralph Lauren that uses the Coffee note very well - a note that usually doesn't fit, for me at least. However the mango and overall sweet fruitness can be a bit overbearing at times. I like this one better than Polo Black. SmellyNinja is correct in that this does smell similar to Armani Code. Good sillage and longevity.

05 January, 2011

Patrick Black's avatar

I have heard good and bad things about this cologne, so going in I was very tentative. First spray...okay maybe a second spray just to...okay this stuff is great! Not only is it the exact scent type I am looking for, but wow I would buy this stuff if I didn't need it.
    The Mango opening smells like fruit and is very inviting, while the Pepper is right there holding back the SWEET/fake fruit smell that would otherwise make you smell like a puff.
    The coffee is the next thing that hits you. "Hit" is the wrong word for it...Grabs you. Its such a great note, matched with the hint of Nutmeg it is such a wonderful addition to the fruity/peppery opening. The woods underneath the scent create such a great base. It smells like the smell is coming from your skin (instead of being a cloud around you) because the woods really add that depth to the fragrance that a lot of "younger guy" colognes are missing.
    It doesn't have the same class and refinement as the original Polo, (its better than Polo Black) but you can still tell it is a Polo smell. It has that...posture that most colognes don't. Polo Double Black will make a great addition to anyones collection.

22 October, 2010

SmellyNinja's avatar

It's a decent gourmand comfort scent. Similar in vein to A*Men or Armani Diamonds, but with it's own unique highlights. Longevity, or lack of it, was a big issue for me.

22 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

bellaviola's avatar

Delicious warm interpretation of the noir concept without being to thick or tar-y. Very sumptuous and elegant.

08 May, 2010

tnecniva's avatar

Starts off with mango and pepper everywhere (this only mellows, never really goes away).....then after about an hour, this lovely creamy aroma kicks in (I really love this part of the frangrance).... and the base slightly sweet in a nice and manly way (really love the way it smells on the leather strap of my watch)......Besides, my Fiancee said she loves the smell.....what else do I want from a scent....Results!!!!

16 April, 2010

wolfe_786's avatar

I just don't see how this fragrance is receiving so many positive comments. i bought this a week ago after trying on polo black (which smells just great) and this double black crap doesn't smell like regular polo black at all. i mean it smells awful. i'd recommend this cologne to someone who'd go to work just to offend everyone around him. so yeah wear it if you wanna offend everyone around you

06 April, 2010

NillaGoon's avatar

This fragrance does have some interesting inflections -- mango in the top, a tasty coffee and spice mix in the heart -- but it's fundamentally just another mass-market fresh/aquatic fragrance dominated by the same aromachemicals found in hundreds of other products. If you love this style of perfumery, you'll probably have the patience and inclination to make fine distinctions, but for me it seems like just one tiny drop in a very big bucket.

PDB lacks the grating, metallic edge found in many fragrances of this genre, so the opening is not actively unpleasant. I'd give it a neutral thumb but for the cloyingly sweet gourmand base. The top notes giveth and the base notes taketh away.

Nothing to see here, boys, move along.

02 April, 2010

PaladinX's avatar

well after using this for awhile now, I have changed my opinion on it. The scent grew on me, and I like it. I will give it a thumbs up.

01st April, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2010)