Positive Reviews of Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Find out more about Black Orchid by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Shifty Bat's avatar

I knew it! I knew there was ylang in here, poking its head through the stage curtain with its quiet impression of banana. Black Orchid is a plush, velveteen oriental that stacks white florals (funny) on a nearly-edible woody base. It smells 'purple' to me, likely because of a good dose of currant (which, in concert with the balsamic vanilla base, reminds me of Opium Pour Homme). I was discussing this one with a friend and he brought up comparisons with Obsession Night by Calvin Klein, for which we share an affinity. We concluded that Black Orchid is the crushed velvet to O.N.'s smooth suede. It's well-made and lasts ages. A bit oppressive in hot weather but we'll forgive such minor trespasses.

To anyone interested in trying this one on - go light on the application or you risk becoming the scent equivalent of costume jewelry.

24 June, 2014

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Had a hard time trying this one after hearing it could be unisex. On the mid and the base for sure. The opening not so much. It's loud and bold. At first I liked it but did'nt know when to wear this fragrance. Now I use it as a clubbing scent. It works for me in that setting but I would'nt wear it anywere else.

01st February, 2014

lavilove's avatar

The best !

For 5 years for me it was my best friend. Different , unique and powerful !

20th September, 2013

mariana's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Gorgeous!

This stuff is amazing, a wonderful blend of spices, wild fruits and dark chocolat. Mysterious, provocative, and sexy as hell. Extraordinary sillage. I love Voile de Fleur also, but this is my Tom Ford #1.

20th September, 2013

Julessharp's avatar

as other reviewers state, it is very potent, but I do love it. Using is less is probably more!

13 March, 2013

LoriT's avatar

Crazy projection on this one, for at least the first hour. If you're going for understated, I'd probably opt for something else.

It starts out like a dark, spiced hybrid of sweet and pepper. And I also sense some subtle combination reminiscent of mint. I don't know what gives it that feel (in terms of the note pyramid), but it leaves a very clean impression, while somehow remaining a little murky. It's almost strange smelling, in that it reminds me of an alluring witch's brew, or like I'm inside "The Neverending Story."

What's disappointing to me is the overall outcome. I love that the scent evolves into something completely different than what it started as, but in the end I lose all the components I loved about it in the beginning. It turns out a deep, one dimensional, earthy smell that I just can't get into. Simple patchouli almost. I don't know if a black orchid actually exists, or what it might smell like if it does, but maybe the idea behind the heart of the fragrance just isn't for me.

But if you do in fact enjoy the end result of the scent, that same drydown lasts for days, so the longevity is great. And it does indeed look stunning on my nightstand with its slender black and gold presentation.

I'll keep wearing it, because I absolutely love how it opens up within the first couple of minutes, but my search for a new signature scent will continue. However, its introduction of the top notes alone might warrant a blind buy.

11th March, 2013

upuautiii's avatar

Overall all, this is potent. The top notes are heady, overpowering, confusing, and project in no particular direction, or in all directions. As it dries down, it becomes more appealing to me. The mid and dry notes remind me, or resemble, a perfume from the mid eighties called FIOLE by J Casanova, discontinued a while ago. As a man, I loved FIOLE and used to wear it.

This is definitely more on the feminine side. If I dare to wear it, I'd mainly do so to enjoy the dry down. It lasted 16 hours or so on my skin. I lean towards thumbs up rather than neutral, at least in appreciation of its uniqueness.

15 December, 2012

Manderava's avatar

This is a lovely fragrance. I recently went to Sephora and my nose just wasn't in the mood for anything it came across until I found this. Of all the samples I took home, this is the only one I actually want to wear again. And again. And again. Now my sample has almost run out and I'll definitely be buying this. There's something so comforting about it.

28 November, 2012

jarroditshallbe's avatar

An isolated grave is found in the middle of the forest by a young woman. She has only read about it. Strange flowers surround the rocks circling. An aura of light breaks from the trees and onto the ground around it and her. She knows the tales of the man buried here, but it all seems a dream. There is sweat on her neck, she ran here, and must continue on. It is already beginning to get dark. She hears breaking wood behind her, and the wind picks up the scent of a strange animal.

23 October, 2012

pianist75's avatar

well...YES!!! pure class! great scent and very potent!! strong for the first 1 hour or so then it calms downabit...to be honest, not for me , too feminine , i bought a full 100 ml bottle but I'm not using it at all. from time to time i smell it before bed but thats all, i guess i will give it to my sister.

23 August, 2012

Francolino's avatar

love it, it is classified as female scente but to the girl at the store was for me, dark gothic patchouli, chocolate, flowery and spicy, kinky and sexy and pricey

30th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2012)

gmstrack's avatar

Black Orchid is a big ass chocolate flower.

The composition is constructed around spicy black orchid, and all of the other components (citrus, jasmine, gardenia, black current, spice, fruit, chocolate, patchouli, and amber) exaggerate each facet of the flower. The result is an enormous 3D black orchid: dark and psychedelic. Woodsy notes are barely detectable, but there is definitely something almost swampy lurking behind the onslaught of sweet chocolate. Also, there is a loud, constant stream of piss coming from the black current and/or jasmine.

Nicely done, just keep it away from me.

25 June, 2012

teardrop's avatar

England England

l've put off writing a review of this one, because for me it almost defies description! lt is very different from anything else l've tried, & had l studied the reviews beforehand, l might never have tried it at all. But one hot day in Athens last summer, l was in a department store when something drew me to this fragrance...
    The top notes l found challenging; dark woods & patchouli, & what l assume must be the truffle note giving it a deep & fruity richness. But l persevered. With one spray on my arm, l went about my day, & as the fragrance developed l was seduced by it's creamy, coconutty, rich floral heart, with the darkness remaining all the way to the drydown, many hours later, of vanilla & sandalwood. ln terms of projection & longevity, this far outperformed all of the other scents l'd sprayed on various spots that day, & as l settled down for a siesta, l basked in this weird & wonderful scent...
    Days later, l was browsing the perfume shelves at Athens airport, & couldn't resist trying this one again. As l went through the security check-in, one of the usually dour-faced guards broke into a grin & said; "You're wearing Tom Ford, aren't you?" l was tickled pink, & decided then & there to get one of the 4ml samples; l still could not quite believe that l'd fallen for this one.
    Cut to the present, & l've finally given in & got myself a bottle. After a few wearings, during which even my fussy bf gave it his seal of approval, l had to admit defeat. This is a powerfully seductive fragrance, feminine in a dark & mysterious way, & just a little bit naughty. Love it!

13 June, 2012

electric33's avatar

Wow! Yes I love it. On me it is very fresh chocolate and a very slight cool mint. So nice.

25 May, 2012

eyefeelgood's avatar

Magnificent. Just a little, please! Halve what you wanted to use. Then halve it again. And now only put that fourth where you wish to be kissed. If you wear it judiciously, you'll respect and love Black Orchid, you'll have a spring in your step and the one who kisses you will linger longer. It is absolutely uni-gender when worn this way.

06 May, 2012

Awssum's avatar

I have been a "cologne junkie" for many years, probably wearing cologne at 11! Therefore having sampled many scents good and bad over the years, I got a pretty keen nose on the various flavors and aromas there are to offer.

I stumbled upon Tom Ford's Black Orchid by mistake. While sampling scents in the newly built Nordstrom's, I came across Tom Ford's Black Orchid. Over the years some of his scents were not to appealing to me, either to woodsy or florally or just not " buy me now" kinda thing. I sprayed it on the sample card, then tried a little on my wrist. Immediately a sales associate walked up and said.."Now how did that get there..it's a women's fragrance..excuse me let me take it to the woman's section on other side of the store!". Immediately I was like OMG! Darn I got female perfume on, no wonder I thought it had a little sweet kinda feminine aroma to it, but for some reason it was erotic. As I turned to ask the associate for an alcohol packet to wipe it off, my co worker walked up, very attractive female...she said hey.."Whoa..come here". She leaned over and said "Oh my gosh, you always smell good...but that is amazing, it's like the best cologne you ever had on, what is it?". I said its Tom Ford, she said "Well its great! " Although she said she liked it, I was still a little apprehensively about buying it. Hesitant,I just got a few samples to try.

First and foremost, it's not a female fragrance, it's unisex. Funny thing is most women I have spoken too, don't like it on them.

I have to say the scent is not for everyone. It has a floral, woodsy odd but erotic, charismatic,flamboyant aroma. At first sampling you may think its not like your normal fragrance. Get a sample and see how you like it. I have had everyone from Females, to other guys come up and say..whats that your wearing, its nice. My second impression was Wow! This scent smells like a rich guy would have it on (the price dictates that!) the only other Mens Fragrance that I ever thought and bought that was mind blowing was and still is, Terre D'Hermes by Hermes for Men.

I decided to get the Black Orchid and it and the Terre D'Hermes by Hermes for Men Are my only two I own. Both turn heads and get compliments.

03 April, 2012

Akahina's avatar

A dark and delicious masterpiece by Tom Ford. I smell more gardenia than anything else in this composition, but there is so much more than Gardenia! A strong and heady concoction with so many notes I can't pick all of them out. Silage and longevity are amazing. A top 5 scent for me. A woman's parfum? OK, but ladies, step aside, this man is wearing your scent! Very suitable for a man, or a woman. Go easy on the trigger.

31st March, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Hey, you're a guy! why you're wearing this fragrance?! It's feminine!
    Me : I don't think so pal!
    Black Orchid.
    That's exactly what I get from this fragrance. Specially dark and black feeling of the scent.
    The opening is very strong, dark and sweet! one or max two spray on chest and neck is more than enough!
    So watch out folks and don't over spray this!
    I'm newbie at fragrance world and I can't pick the notes out of it. But it's really strong, dark, floral, sweet and lovely fragrance that can be wear by a man who don't have problem with floral and sweet scents.
    I have a 100ml bottle (Eau de Perfume) and I love it so much.
    Project like a monster and last for ages.

07 November, 2011

FISS80's avatar

Definitely a "feminine" fragrance for the simple fact that their seem to be no "masculine" notes in its makeup. My first fragrance purchase from the Tom Ford house. Very enjoyable drydown!! The opening is very much in your face and actually wears you instead of you wearing it. No other fragrance I own garners as many compliments from the opposite sex. I am constantly asked what I am wearing and where they can purchase it for their significant other. Definitely not the best from this house but you could certainly do worse.

29 October, 2011

Wrappedinglory's avatar

Black Orchid is thick, deep, dark and everlasting. I don't smell much chocolate. The main note is flowery, but mixed with an intensely oriental vibe. It's not the orient of the flower power generation, nor a sultan style one. It recalls a mysterious rendez-vous between east and west, in a night full of stars.
    I consider it a unisex fragrance, really. It's beautiful on a woman, but it gives a different and interesting feel on a man, given that he's not an endorser of the typical (and boring) male stereotype.
    Black Orchid smells like a classic fragrance, it's so anti-modern, in the sense of being rich and complex and sophisticated. It could be a recipe found in one of Guerlain's drawers. The long lost masterpiece.

26 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st November, 2011)

jatodd's avatar

All I know is when I wear Black Orchid I get compliments from men on how interesting I smell. For me that is the best proof that it is the right scent for me.

07 August, 2011

adele h's avatar

Certainly contains too much of everything, heady gourmand straight up slightly grounded by the truffle accord..is that chocolate, gardenia, the rare black orchid? I honestly couldn't tell you! Certainly not for everyday office wear or enclosed small spaces but sexy as hell. My only issue with B.O. is that it really loses its oomph after the opening notes subside and I long for the olfactory overload of the open to be prolonged somehow..makes me feel as though I was spurned by a very handsome lover! But it is unique, very modern and not completely safe.

02 February, 2011

nsamadi's avatar

Black Orchid is erotic, for the Femme Fatale type who gets off on the idea of being in control. I know both men and women wear this, but I'd much prefer smelling this on a women. It seems too flashy or loud for a man to wear, unless you're Dennis Rodman.

As much as I like it, sometimes it can come off smelling too candy sweet, sort of hard on the nose, but I think it might have to do with my masculine skin chemistry. Overall, it's quite good and at times I find Black Orchid a lot better than what's offered in Tom Ford's Private Blend line.

15 January, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

To paraphrase Christopher Marlowe: Was this the perfume that launch'd a thousand ships?
    To me is the best women perfume ever. I bought it blind for my wife and I am glad I did. She loves it too.
    I agree that is a little unisex, and I should try it on myself ine of this days, but I think I must be in a very special state of mindo to use it LOL.
    Along this I bought for her its flanker Black Orchid Voile de Fleur and unfortunately it's been discontinued (and it is not in this datase either) and to me it is the second best feminine perfume, second only to the original.
    If you have a chance of getting either one, please do, there is nothing like these two in the whole world

10th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2010)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

I take my hat to this unusual scent by Tom Ford...creative, unusual, sweet, comforting, over the top, but truly unique...this scent suits a unisex forum of ex-wild kids in the 40`s who have lived a little, are assertive and know what they want out of life...why not? after all...life is for living...!!!

Fantastic longevity and sillage...big thumbs up...!

13 September, 2010

Celsius32's avatar

Israel Israel

In a sentence: A fruity scent with touches of vanilla throughout.

In a single word: Extravagant.

Not many fragrances paint a picture in your mind; this one certainly does.
    The first time I sprayed it, I had an image of a small potion store that is ran by a 50+ year old lunatic lady, the type you will find in a fairytale (crazy hair, excessive make-up etc...). I had a definite "WOW moment" that a lot of us look for when testing new fragrances.

This is anything BUT your average fruity gourmand. It's unique, very unique.
    I'm not surprised this was Michael Jackson's favorite fragrance. Another artist that I think would have loved this one is Freddie Mercury.

I cannot say this is the best fragrance I've ever smelt, but certainly one of the more interesting ones.

11th September, 2010

thatsmr2usir's avatar

This review is for Black Orchid Voile de Fleur ( EDT ) version.

Black Orchid is a strange, yet interesting fragrance that at first sniff was very sharp & floral.. I recently wore this to my brothers wedding & let me tell you... THIS STUFF LAST FOR AGES!!!!! I put this on & my mother claims that she could smell this before I came down stairs... IT WAS THAT STRONG! However, the scent is rather a creative masterpiece from Mr. Tom Ford! I really dont like it for the first 30-45 minutes, but I tolerate it, then the worst note of this frag appears.. That awful rotten mushroom smell which I just find simply dreadful... Thank goodness it does not last long & the best part kicks in which is the base! SIMPLY MARVELOUS! When I took my rental tux back the next day, the lady who opened the bag to make sure everything was there she said MY U WORE SOMETHING THAT SMELLS JUST GREAT! WHAT IS IT???? Mind you I did not spray any on the tux. I grinned & said Black Orchid! She smiled back & said I'll have to give that a go!

08 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2010)

Doctor Mod's avatar

I must thank member Miss Magic for including a decant of Black Orchid in a swap, as I might not have discovered it on my own. So much has been said about this fragrance that I was most curious, even though I wasn't entirely expecting to like it. I must say it's one of the most incredible scents I've smelled in a while.

The first word to come to my mind as soon as I'd dabbed some on my wrists was "Hawai'i," the place where I was born and to which I try to return every winter to escape the cold Northeast for a little while. I felt I as if I were sitting on a hotel balcony in Waikiki with an orchid lei around my neck, feeling the warm sun and the cool sea breezes. There are times when the smell of orchid seems ubiquitous in Honolulu, and this fragrance brought me back to that lovely city.

Yet for all the Pacific Island associations, I also detect something very French about Black Orchid. To my mind, it recalls "la haute parfumerie Française" of a long-lost past, the decades between the 1920s and 1950s. It is deep, rich, and utterly decadent with its huge volume and intensity. The two or three drops on my wrists is sufficient--more would be overwhelming.

I don't get the chocolate notes so many of the previous reviewers have mentioned, but perhaps that's how the patchouli--which I find pleasant in the drydown--plays out for them. Mostly, I get orchid, combined with tropical fruits and other flowers with a low-key oriental vibe. I generally avoid fruity-floral scents, but this is nothing like the peachy white florals that seem to be dominating the market these days.

This is not a fragrance for girly-girls or macho men, and certainly not for anyone who suffers from any sort of identity insecurity. Black Orchid is only for self-confident and worldly souls, as it takes strength of character to bring off a scent like this successfully. Subtle it is not. There is also a certain campy, over-the-top aspect to it, so perhaps it's a fragrance best reserved for those with an appreciation for the sardonic.

I confess to love at first smell, and I'm sure to buy a bottle for myself. How often--or where--I would actually wear it is another matter altogether. I can't imagine wearing it in my office or classroom--it's just too, too much. On me, it's also a bit too "femme fatale" to consider any use other than "guilty pleasures."

(At this point, I could let my imagination run amok, but some things really are better left unsaid.)

02 September, 2010

Grand Vizier's avatar

Like most of Tom Fords fragrances this falls right into the 70's porno chic area of my fragrance collection, BIG fragrance that just does not budge from when it first hits the skin until you are frantically exfoliating your wrists, torso and neck the morning after the night before. Its glam, its glitzy and I sometimes take for granted just how gorgeous Black Orchid really is. Every now and then the patchouli, vetiver and vanilla wafts up to the nostrils to stimulate your sensory receptors. An experience you crave time and time again. This fragrance really is enjoyed more on others, on a lover or on that intriguingly beautiful person that has just walked past you in the street or in a bar. To me this fragrance is cocktails with an 'acquaintance' in the most prestigious bar in town, their Black Orchid scent exuding from across the glass table in front of you. A whisper of things to come...... It conjures in the mind velvety back and amethyst purple hues,dimly lit boudoirs, silks draped over a naked body (tan lines and all). An expensive clutch bag discarded on the floor contents spilling around it. Lipstick smudges on the sheets!

26 April, 2010

MFJ's avatar

Coconut, vanilla, florals and fruits and a wee bit of smoke. Rich, sweet and smooth. A dark and highly satisfying gourmand scent for my sweet tooth. It thins out and and dries down into a so-so floral-woody base, which I am not the biggest fan of. But still, for the most part of each time I wear it, it is highly enjoyable.

03 April, 2010