Positive Reviews of Black Orchid by Tom Ford

What is it about this fragrance? I came on this one too late, after half the world was wearing it. I never wanted to try it, it sounded so disagreeable and loud. So now that I have and discover it really smells nice on my skin, I don't know I can wear it because of its over-familiarity. Angel had that problem 20 years ago and I got tired of smelling it on everyone and everywhere. So I really hesitate to jump on the Black Orchid bandwagon.
But... this one should be totally not my style, and most fragrances like this smell awful on me, so  the miracle that this one wears beautifully makes me inclined to get it anyway.
The strangest combination of cucumber, silky flowers and dark chocolate.  Unusual, but undeniably silkenly sensuous.

It also wears like iron and lasts forever.
29th May, 2015
Salutation.

Everything about BLACK ORCHID speaks of Seduction.Yes it is definitely a Seductive Perfume that Attracts like Magnets and This is something different That you have never Experienced in Your life. Gorgeous,Luxurious,Heavy,Hot, Classic,Expensive,Rich,Spicy,Unique and quite Feminine.

A Perfect Oriental with mixture Flowery and Fruity That makes the Atmosphere Heavnely in Two Sprays.So Strong opening.Citruses and Jasmine are a perfect blend in the Top notes,While the Heart Encompasses Black Orchid and Lotus and a Weird and Special Base notes.

It has a Perfect Character Then if You are Looking for a Perfume that want Describe Your Personality and Your Emotion This might be Your New Fragrance. Suitable for SPECIAL Occasions in WINTER EVENINGS. I Recommend it to any Lady who just wants to smell Special but Test it first before Buying!

Sillage?Excellent.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

11th May, 2015
Upon first spray, I was hit with a very almost pungent smell I couldn't identify, and then after about ten minutes, it mellowed some.

I am no fan of the initial scent, but as it dries down, it smells amazing. I'm not so great with explaining specific elements, but let me paint a picture of it for you.

Imagine that you are wearing a lovely, simple, and elegant vintage black crepe gown. You'd have on pearls and you'd be the type of person who wears fur.

You're riding with a handsome man in a very lovely car, luxury but not conspicuous consumption. He's old money, and he smells like leather, tobacco, and trees. He probably smokes a pipe, but he's no hipster.

You're wearing red lipstick, but your hair is just disheveled enough to indicate some dirty fun prior to your event. And you're just edgy enough to have on black nail polish with the very classic look.

You check your lipstick one last time before you leave the car, and you see that you've had to reapply because your little tryst may have smeared it a bit. Your date would just wink at you, and the two of you would snicker and go have a good 15 year scotch at the bar. You're definitely a woman who loves a good scotch.

That's how it smells.
03rd February, 2015

The opening of Black Orchid is a tad tacky perhaps, but nicely made enough to avoid being completely cheesy: basically a sweet-floral sugar bomb, which soon gets more dry and balanced leaning towards a dark-sweet velvety floral blend, which is frankly quite pleasant. I get powdery-soapy notes (no flowers in particular, honestly) with a slight metallic aftertaste, something candied-fruity which smells tamed down enough not to look like teenagers’ gourmand stuff, vanilla (not that great), patchouli, incense, woods on the base (mostly vetiver). So shortly a sort of “mature”, fairly elegant and safe fruity-powdery scent with a sort of “dark” and silky allure. Somehow exuding a bit of cheapness overall, but not that bad – “it works”, in other words, this meaning it’s not stinky, it projects well, it lasts long, and in my opinion is decently, mediocrely, “generically” pleasant, which for certain situations (office for instance, or whatever other “mixed” social circumstance where you don’t feel wearing something more daring) may be an enjoyable feature.

6,5-7/10
29th December, 2014
Fall is here and that means I take out my Black Orchid by Tom Ford. I love wearing this scent on chilly Fall days. At the beginning it could be a bit over powering. The dry down is the best part of this masterpiece. I love the chocolate, patchouli, caramel, jasmine and of course the orchid. They combine to make a beautiful and passionate perfume. I am a guy and I love it!
10th November, 2014
Lush, Dirty, Sexy stuff...

Black Orchid was the first release for the Tom Ford brand. In his mind, he felt like the modern designer market trends didn't offer anything really unique, heavy or interesting enough... as most of them were watered down versions of bestsellers. With Black Orchid, he wanted to evoke a smell of "old luxury & glamour", a sort of "retro" feel back to perfume. He decided to create Black Orchid.

This is such a complex fragrance. It could be gourmand, oriental, chypre, all rolled into one! I mainly get an earthy, chocolate patchouli mixed with a floral vanilla composition. The earthy smell also comes from truffle, which is damp and mushroom-like, with something reminding me of different fruits, including blackberry. But it never goes into the typical fruity-floral category as it manages to stay quite dark and earthy throughout, drying down to a dark, woody vanilla by the end. It smells decadent and rich, and that is certainly the vibe he was going for. There are a lot of conflicting notes, but the overall vibe works well.

I think this is definitely a seductive, going out type of fragrance, it's also probably unisex, as some women may find it a little "dark" for them to wear compared to light, happy florals. I think this would appeal to people who love gourmand perfumes and heavier, darker orientals, and older classics.

The bottle is very stylish and innovative, as is the presentation of Black & Gold. It really gives a rich, decadent, almost over the top vibe... yet still tasteful enough to appeal to most people. I think on the right person, in the right setting, this would smell amazing, as long as you spray lightly it can be worn in most places and occasions. A dark, sexy, dangerous and slightly edgy mix which manages to hold together and impress, just be ready to be a little shocked in the beginning, but it really is something unique and special. Dirty, sexy, edgy stuff!
30th October, 2014
This one is a bomb.

There is a lot going on: Patchouli, vanilla, chocolate, blackcurrant, creamy caramel and some kind of violet that I can't quite place.

As a guy who is ok with wearing more feminine "boy or girl" fragrances I think Black Orchid is a real winner (If not the best).

Only wear it in cold weather though (and preferably at night, Black Orchid is definitely a night fragrance) .

If you happen to spray this on youself in summer, be prepared to smell like rotting fruit for the day, it just does not play well with hot weather.

A true masterpiece this one though, it reeks of decadence and excess and may be too much for some, but if you want something a little special don't hesitate.

Two sprays is enough!
01st October, 2014
I knew it! I knew there was ylang in here, poking its head through the stage curtain with its quiet impression of banana. Black Orchid is a plush, velveteen oriental that stacks white florals (funny) on a nearly-edible woody base. It smells 'purple' to me, likely because of a good dose of currant (which, in concert with the balsamic vanilla base, reminds me of Opium Pour Homme). I was discussing this one with a friend and he brought up comparisons with Obsession Night by Calvin Klein, for which we share an affinity. We concluded that Black Orchid is the crushed velvet to O.N.'s smooth suede. It's well-made and lasts ages. A bit oppressive in hot weather but we'll forgive such minor trespasses.

To anyone interested in trying this one on - go light on the application or you risk becoming the scent equivalent of costume jewelry.
24th June, 2014
Had a hard time trying this one after hearing it could be unisex. On the mid and the base for sure. The opening not so much. It's loud and bold. At first I liked it but did'nt know when to wear this fragrance. Now I use it as a clubbing scent. It works for me in that setting but I would'nt wear it anywere else.
01st February, 2014
The best !

For 5 years for me it was my best friend. Different , unique and powerful !

20th September, 2013
Gorgeous!

This stuff is amazing, a wonderful blend of spices, wild fruits and dark chocolat. Mysterious, provocative, and sexy as hell. Extraordinary sillage. I love Voile de Fleur also, but this is my Tom Ford #1.

20th September, 2013
as other reviewers state, it is very potent, but I do love it. Using is less is probably more!
13th March, 2013
Crazy projection on this one, for at least the first hour. If you're going for understated, I'd probably opt for something else.

It starts out like a dark, spiced hybrid of sweet and pepper. And I also sense some subtle combination reminiscent of mint. I don't know what gives it that feel (in terms of the note pyramid), but it leaves a very clean impression, while somehow remaining a little murky. It's almost strange smelling, in that it reminds me of an alluring witch's brew, or like I'm inside "The Neverending Story."

What's disappointing to me is the overall outcome. I love that the scent evolves into something completely different than what it started as, but in the end I lose all the components I loved about it in the beginning. It turns out a deep, one dimensional, earthy smell that I just can't get into. Simple patchouli almost. I don't know if a black orchid actually exists, or what it might smell like if it does, but maybe the idea behind the heart of the fragrance just isn't for me.

But if you do in fact enjoy the end result of the scent, that same drydown lasts for days, so the longevity is great. And it does indeed look stunning on my nightstand with its slender black and gold presentation.

I'll keep wearing it, because I absolutely love how it opens up within the first couple of minutes, but my search for a new signature scent will continue. However, its introduction of the top notes alone might warrant a blind buy.
11th March, 2013

Overall all, this is potent. The top notes are heady, overpowering, confusing, and project in no particular direction, or in all directions. As it dries down, it becomes more appealing to me. The mid and dry notes remind me, or resemble, a perfume from the mid eighties called FIOLE by J Casanova, discontinued a while ago. As a man, I loved FIOLE and used to wear it.

This is definitely more on the feminine side. If I dare to wear it, I'd mainly do so to enjoy the dry down. It lasted 16 hours or so on my skin. I lean towards thumbs up rather than neutral, at least in appreciation of its uniqueness.
15th December, 2012
This is a lovely fragrance. I recently went to Sephora and my nose just wasn't in the mood for anything it came across until I found this. Of all the samples I took home, this is the only one I actually want to wear again. And again. And again. Now my sample has almost run out and I'll definitely be buying this. There's something so comforting about it.
28th November, 2012
An isolated grave is found in the middle of the forest by a young woman. She has only read about it. Strange flowers surround the rocks circling. An aura of light breaks from the trees and onto the ground around it and her. She knows the tales of the man buried here, but it all seems a dream. There is sweat on her neck, she ran here, and must continue on. It is already beginning to get dark. She hears breaking wood behind her, and the wind picks up the scent of a strange animal.
23rd October, 2012
well...YES!!! pure class! great scent and very potent!! strong for the first 1 hour or so then it calms downabit...to be honest, not for me , too feminine , i bought a full 100 ml bottle but I'm not using it at all. from time to time i smell it before bed but thats all, i guess i will give it to my sister.
23rd August, 2012
love it, it is classified as female scente but to the girl at the store was for me, dark gothic patchouli, chocolate, flowery and spicy, kinky and sexy and pricey
30th July, 2012 (last edited: 01st August, 2012)
Black Orchid is a big ass chocolate flower.

The composition is constructed around spicy black orchid, and all of the other components (citrus, jasmine, gardenia, black current, spice, fruit, chocolate, patchouli, and amber) exaggerate each facet of the flower. The result is an enormous 3D black orchid: dark and psychedelic. Woodsy notes are barely detectable, but there is definitely something almost swampy lurking behind the onslaught of sweet chocolate. Also, there is a loud, constant stream of piss coming from the black current and/or jasmine.

Nicely done, just keep it away from me.
25th June, 2012
l've put off writing a review of this one, because for me it almost defies description! lt is very different from anything else l've tried, & had l studied the reviews beforehand, l might never have tried it at all. But one hot day in Athens last summer, l was in a department store when something drew me to this fragrance...
The top notes l found challenging; dark woods & patchouli, & what l assume must be the truffle note giving it a deep & fruity richness. But l persevered. With one spray on my arm, l went about my day, & as the fragrance developed l was seduced by it's creamy, coconutty, rich floral heart, with the darkness remaining all the way to the drydown, many hours later, of vanilla & sandalwood. ln terms of projection & longevity, this far outperformed all of the other scents l'd sprayed on various spots that day, & as l settled down for a siesta, l basked in this weird & wonderful scent...
Days later, l was browsing the perfume shelves at Athens airport, & couldn't resist trying this one again. As l went through the security check-in, one of the usually dour-faced guards broke into a grin & said; "You're wearing Tom Ford, aren't you?" l was tickled pink, & decided then & there to get one of the 4ml samples; l still could not quite believe that l'd fallen for this one.
Cut to the present, & l've finally given in & got myself a bottle. After a few wearings, during which even my fussy bf gave it his seal of approval, l had to admit defeat. This is a powerfully seductive fragrance, feminine in a dark & mysterious way, & just a little bit naughty. Love it!
13th June, 2012
Wow! Yes I love it. On me it is very fresh chocolate and a very slight cool mint. So nice.
25th May, 2012
Magnificent. Just a little, please! Halve what you wanted to use. Then halve it again. And now only put that fourth where you wish to be kissed. If you wear it judiciously, you'll respect and love Black Orchid, you'll have a spring in your step and the one who kisses you will linger longer. It is absolutely uni-gender when worn this way.
06th May, 2012
I have been a "cologne junkie" for many years, probably wearing cologne at 11! Therefore having sampled many scents good and bad over the years, I got a pretty keen nose on the various flavors and aromas there are to offer.

I stumbled upon Tom Ford's Black Orchid by mistake. While sampling scents in the newly built Nordstrom's, I came across Tom Ford's Black Orchid. Over the years some of his scents were not to appealing to me, either to woodsy or florally or just not " buy me now" kinda thing. I sprayed it on the sample card, then tried a little on my wrist. Immediately a sales associate walked up and said.."Now how did that get there..it's a women's fragrance..excuse me let me take it to the woman's section on other side of the store!". Immediately I was like OMG! Darn I got female perfume on, no wonder I thought it had a little sweet kinda feminine aroma to it, but for some reason it was erotic. As I turned to ask the associate for an alcohol packet to wipe it off, my co worker walked up, very attractive female...she said hey.."Whoa..come here". She leaned over and said "Oh my gosh, you always smell good...but that is amazing, it's like the best cologne you ever had on, what is it?". I said its Tom Ford, she said "Well its great! " Although she said she liked it, I was still a little apprehensively about buying it. Hesitant,I just got a few samples to try.

First and foremost, it's not a female fragrance, it's unisex. Funny thing is most women I have spoken too, don't like it on them.

I have to say the scent is not for everyone. It has a floral, woodsy odd but erotic, charismatic,flamboyant aroma. At first sampling you may think its not like your normal fragrance. Get a sample and see how you like it. I have had everyone from Females, to other guys come up and say..whats that your wearing, its nice. My second impression was Wow! This scent smells like a rich guy would have it on (the price dictates that!) the only other Mens Fragrance that I ever thought and bought that was mind blowing was and still is, Terre D'Hermes by Hermes for Men.

I decided to get the Black Orchid and it and the Terre D'Hermes by Hermes for Men Are my only two I own. Both turn heads and get compliments.
03rd April, 2012
A dark and delicious masterpiece by Tom Ford. I smell more gardenia than anything else in this composition, but there is so much more than Gardenia! A strong and heady concoction with so many notes I can't pick all of them out. Silage and longevity are amazing. A top 5 scent for me. A woman's parfum? OK, but ladies, step aside, this man is wearing your scent! Very suitable for a man, or a woman. Go easy on the trigger.
31st March, 2012
Hey, you're a guy! why you're wearing this fragrance?! It's feminine!
Me : I don't think so pal!
Black Orchid.
That's exactly what I get from this fragrance. Specially dark and black feeling of the scent.
The opening is very strong, dark and sweet! one or max two spray on chest and neck is more than enough!
So watch out folks and don't over spray this!
I'm newbie at fragrance world and I can't pick the notes out of it. But it's really strong, dark, floral, sweet and lovely fragrance that can be wear by a man who don't have problem with floral and sweet scents.
I have a 100ml bottle (Eau de Perfume) and I love it so much.
Project like a monster and last for ages.
07th November, 2011
FISS80 Show all reviews
Definitely a "feminine" fragrance for the simple fact that their seem to be no "masculine" notes in its makeup. My first fragrance purchase from the Tom Ford house. Very enjoyable drydown!! The opening is very much in your face and actually wears you instead of you wearing it. No other fragrance I own garners as many compliments from the opposite sex. I am constantly asked what I am wearing and where they can purchase it for their significant other. Definitely not the best from this house but you could certainly do worse.
29th October, 2011
Black Orchid is thick, deep, dark and everlasting. I don't smell much chocolate. The main note is flowery, but mixed with an intensely oriental vibe. It's not the orient of the flower power generation, nor a sultan style one. It recalls a mysterious rendez-vous between east and west, in a night full of stars.
I consider it a unisex fragrance, really. It's beautiful on a woman, but it gives a different and interesting feel on a man, given that he's not an endorser of the typical (and boring) male stereotype.
Black Orchid smells like a classic fragrance, it's so anti-modern, in the sense of being rich and complex and sophisticated. It could be a recipe found in one of Guerlain's drawers. The long lost masterpiece.
26th October, 2011 (last edited: 01st November, 2011)
jatodd Show all reviews
All I know is when I wear Black Orchid I get compliments from men on how interesting I smell. For me that is the best proof that it is the right scent for me.
07th August, 2011
Certainly contains too much of everything, heady gourmand straight up slightly grounded by the truffle accord..is that chocolate, gardenia, the rare black orchid? I honestly couldn't tell you! Certainly not for everyday office wear or enclosed small spaces but sexy as hell. My only issue with B.O. is that it really loses its oomph after the opening notes subside and I long for the olfactory overload of the open to be prolonged somehow..makes me feel as though I was spurned by a very handsome lover! But it is unique, very modern and not completely safe.
02nd February, 2011
Black Orchid is erotic, for the Femme Fatale type who gets off on the idea of being in control. I know both men and women wear this, but I'd much prefer smelling this on a women. It seems too flashy or loud for a man to wear, unless you're Dennis Rodman.

As much as I like it, sometimes it can come off smelling too candy sweet, sort of hard on the nose, but I think it might have to do with my masculine skin chemistry. Overall, it's quite good and at times I find Black Orchid a lot better than what's offered in Tom Ford's Private Blend line.

15th January, 2011