Reviews of Coze 02 by Parfumerie Generale

Find out more about Coze 02 by Parfumerie Generale in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

If you want to pretend you're a smoker and you want to smell like you've just smoked a cigarette, this is the scent for you. Otherwise this smells like nothing more than a smoker's jacket. Which is still interesting by the way, because I barely smell anything else than "smoke" in the most practical, cigarette-ish way, so in a way it's quite unique, and surely well-developed. Dry and pungent green start, quickly turning into an endless descent into a chimney.

30th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

michailG's avatar
    michailG

beauty in a bottle

On my skin Cozé starts with a very mellow, sweet and dry medicinal accord, it turns incense like an hour later and settles into a vanilla comforting soft-bed of beauty. If this was more gourmand I wouldn't have liked it but it is not and therefore I enjoy it tremendously. Silage is very good and longevity excellent.

Pros: sweet and dry
    Cons:

21st August, 2013

Indagnacious's avatar
    Indagnacious

What an amazing fragrance! Sweet earth, spicy woods, and a bit of boozy-vanillic coffee undertones. I adore Nasomatto's frags and this could easily fit in with Hindu Grass and other offering from their line, but it doesn't need to. Parfumerie Generale is a near ground-breaking perfume house and Pierre Guillaume is wonderfully aggressive in his approach to perfumery. Plus I just realized PG is created by PG...coincidence? Probably not.

In this instance, the herbal-spice punch that goes on forever actually anchors the fragrance and pulls it back from the brink of total hippie-dippie, wacky tobacky hedonism. Don't get me wrong, this may be far too challenging for the right-wing conservative types to endure, but if you don't mind getting a little natural high, your work place doesn't test for drugs, (heh) and making an earthy statement is fine by you, than yes, this is something you definitely must try. Outstanding longevity and ridiculous sillage! A force to be reckoned with. Five stars in my book.

23 February, 2013

Explorador's avatar
    Explorador

Loud, with a certain disgusting odour, between spicy and sweet.

12 January, 2013

jtd's avatar
    jtd

Coze offers both that fresh, moist feel of a close-fitted evergreen forest canopy and the dry, herbal tone of a dry forest floor. With its hemp foundation, though, the other side of this combination of notes is an over-baked hash brownie. A delight either way.

30th November, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

A gourmand that isn't too sickly sweet, I detect cloves/nutmeg right from the start. Patchouli then makes an appearance. Pepper also. While this isn't something I'd wear, it is surprisingly harmonious considering the wide range of notes.

30th October, 2012

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Coze gets right down to business on skin with a huge burst of patchouli emerging all the way from the base; soon joining a delicious semi-sweet dark chocolate and pimento almost clove-like spice primary heart notes that arrives quite early in the scent's development. Underneath the patchouli, dark chocolate and pimento trio lies a subtle ebony wood and mild coffee undertone combining with just the smallest amount of sandalwood and tobacco smoke from the base to round out the primary detectable notes. Longevity is average and projection above average.

Coze is really a great smelling fragrance. The patchouli, chocolate and all-spice combination is really exceptionally executed here by Guillaume. Also notable is the ebony and coffee that plays support but is just present enough in the background to add a differentiating feature to the primary notes at the fore. The scent overall is relatively sweet, but the sweetness never becomes cloying or distracting. As far as development goes, the scent is fairly linear revealing its true nature early and holding there. The bottom line is Coze is a very well-done composition that is highly recommended earning an excellent rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

28 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2012)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Since the first moments of its impalpable evolution Coze 02 appears in all its pungency and smokiness. The evolution is almost absent in my opinion and the final effect is nearly immediately accomplished. The patchouli together with pepper are prominent as well as a slightly herbaceous feel and a moderate touch of black and white chocolate with coffee. I perceive the note of canapa more in the final kind of mildness than in the aromatic herbaceous feel itself. The boozy temperament jumps immediately to attention and is a spicy boozy vibe, the taste of an exotic rum that you savour with in your mouth the flavour  of chocolate and fruits covered by coffee dust and nutmeg. The boozy and peppery-spicy vibe plus the woody final  consistence remind me a bit some nuances of the less syrupy-spicy and more gassy, leathery and  obscure Idole de Lubin. This peppery and liquorous feel surrounds all the elements since the beginning till the end together with the smoke. The sweetness is moderate and is a almost milky mild character from the note of vanilla and from the woods. The bitterness of coffee adds a considerable level of darkness to a fragrance that is moderately dense and very prickly and aromatic. May be the aromatic vibe is also produced by the canapa oil of the top regardless the spices an pepper.  I agree who with writes this scent is more a woody-spicy oriental than properly a gourmand. Too faint and well balanced are the edible notes and too tamed the sweetness. Any element is cloying or bombastic and the edible feel doesn't overwhelm the woody vibe or the aromatic-spicy temperament. Not bad at all but nothing that manages to break my heart.

26 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2013)

khrystyna's avatar
    khrystyna

wow! today i am enchanted by this scent! yesterday, when the weather was hot, i tried coze 02 and it smelled too sweet and too bland; however today, when it has cooled down significantly i decided to give it another go - and now i cannot help but sniff my wrists every couple of minutes. really interesting and crisp scent, no hints of sweetness (until maybe a little bit later, when it dries down). for me it is a perfect mix of crisp deep herby notes and not sweet spicy/woody accords with the character. these are not 'nice' perfumes, but they are interesting and make you want to wear them again.

28 October, 2011

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

I can't believe that I have to be one of two people to rain on this parade, but here goes.

Coze opens with coffee, chocolate, vanilla, wood, spice, patchouli, and hemp all rolled into a delicious scent. Oh and it smells so natural too; I just adored the opening. I was prepared for a purchase less than an hour in.

Of course Coze quickly ruined my party. A notorious note from Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather emerged. This note made me wanna stir the sauce, flee from helicopters, and bring guns to Jimmy's that were supposed to fit the silencers that he had. If only Karen had been around during the creation of Coze that awful note would've been flushed down the toilet because "they were gonna find it."

Anyway, Scorsese references aside, this awful note arises about two hours in, and persists for about three hours. After that it backs off and mixes with the other notes to create, once again, an interesting and pleasant experience. Unfortunately that does not and CAN NOT make up for hours 2-5 being a nasally abrasive chore. If I never smell this again as long as I live it will be too soon, same goes for Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather.

13 August, 2011

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Cozé opens dark, smoky and dusty with coffee, desweetened dark chocolate, woods, prominent patchouli and a slight boozy bourbon note. Spices join the party in a while adding depth and mistery to this warm composition. In the drydown I still detect a remarkable patchouli note together with dark woods, sandalwood and hints of vanilla. While Cozé is often listed as a gourmand, I more get it as a sort of dirty spicy oriental that will appeal to fans of the most challenging compositions by Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier, Parfum D'Empire and a bunch of Lutens.

If you're into fresh and clean fragrances you should carefully stay away from this, for all the others, this is great stuff. Maybe not as much unconventional as they want us to believe but still highly recommended.

21st June, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2011)

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

Sit down light a toke and enjoy the trip as you go through a yummy and groovy journey with COZE! this non conventional scent opens with pure and uncut Cannabis
    that adds to the inebriation of the mind dries with
    crushed patchouli evokes the earthiness of dancing barefoot in wet mud under a summer's rain, then dryness
    of paprika with sundried nuances and grounded pepper
    make this a fiery exotica of the southwest a world of azure blue skies and terracotta red earth finishes the
    top level,Tobacco opens our second journey with it's
    wisp of smoke caressing your senses with it's dry bitterness Dark Chocolate adds to the sexiness and
    animalistic properties Oud brings the dark and esoteric
    mysteries of the mind Sandalwood with golden hues ends
    this journey with dry fiery nuances.

This scent is daring and doesn't follow conventional rules of perfumery this is a unique piece.

08 January, 2011

Doctor Mod's avatar
    Doctor Mod

I had been meaning to try a sample of this for a while, after becoming absolutely enamoured of PG's Aomassai. I had just taken a shower before preparing for bed. I don't know what demon inspired me to open the vial and pour it on myself, but I fear I shan't sleep well tonight.

Coze is an intoxicatingly beautiful fragrance, simultaneously sensual and spiritual, that stimulates every oversensitive nerve in one's body. It induces a mild sense of fear and disorientation even as it wraps one in a seemingly transcendent glow. The sacredness of the apparently non-existent incense note merges with the profane and decadent sensuality of the gourmand notes; but even as these olfactory entities seduce, there is a jarring green note shouting out. It is not until the drydown, some fifteen minutes later, that the canapa sativa reveals itself and recalls cannabis. (Ah, yes, a recalled memory.)

Yes, I inhaled. I breathed this perfume deep into my being. (Perhaps the anxiety it engenders is an ancient adolescent fear of being caught with this substance?) This is very fine indeed.

Nostalgie has described this "journey through time and space" far better than I can at this moment. The lyrics to "The Windmills of Your Mind" come back to me--the concatenation of the diverse notes strikes so many different emotional responses all at once that one can only describe it by means of metaphor.

This is not a "nice" or "pretty" fragrance. Rather, it is a stunning work of art whose dark beauty has the power to disturb in the way that all great art must--even as it seduces one into a space one does not want to leave.

Coze is probably best used as a private pleasure. It is fully capable of causing chaos in the workplace, and its extravagant hedonistic qualities are a bit too decadent for commonplace romantic pursuits.

Oscar Wilde tells us that "All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril." Coze is pure art.

Perhaps I shan't sleep well tonight enveloped in the déjà vu this fragrance evokes--but Coze is so beautiful that I really don't care.

22 August, 2010

urfliness's avatar
    urfliness

To me Coze picks up where Polo left off.I thinks it's quite genius actually.The spices draw you in and the chocolate puts you to sleep.Well worth the price.

01st April, 2010

holyzoo's avatar
    holyzoo

My initial try was sampling it going to bed to sleep and it was heavenly - a magical forest. I had it up as a must-have.

However by subsequent trials, Coze is too harsh to me. It has a rebellious wild ganja sativa vibe which is cool, but eventually annoying to me. And it's dry down to raw woods is a bit clumsy. By comparison, I prefer Tamboti Wood by Susanne Lang in it's smoothness and focus.

Coze is also similar to L’ Artisan Absinth. I'd choose Coze between those two.

The best thing going for Coze is the vivid wild woods reality to it, and I see it as an olfactory event rather than a personal scent for living in.

04 March, 2010

montmorency's avatar
    montmorency

It's an interesting anthropo-linguistic fact that French (and Italian) has no precise equivalent of the word 'cosy'. When I first tried Coze 02 I wondered if the name is an attempt in cod-French to invent the word and the concept to fill this unaccountable vacancy for a needy nation. The effect is certainly Cozee. Without doubt this is one of the oddest things I've ever tried, and to my nose it isn't, thank goodness, a gourmand, unless smelling like embers over which food was cooked a long time ago counts. I love it, though I have to decide if I want it for me or for my furniture. The nutty top sativa note yields to the smoky, resinous cold fireplace accord which to my nose has no bourbon-vanilla in it at all but does hint clearly of actual bourbon, one of the many substances in the world and in this perfume, including coffee and charcoal, that always smell far far better than they could ever possibly taste. Chocolate, coffee, pepper are mentioned in the tasting notes from PG - well, maybe, but if they were ever there, they've since been completely translated into smoke. I'm not sure this is even a personal fragrance; it's more like a state of mind, or a cure for insomnia. I haven't bought it yet, but I may have to, if only to sprinkle it on my pillow for comfort.

11th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2014)

Ranger's avatar
    Ranger

The canapa sativa seed oil is great in this. I smell it from top through drydown. Along with it, the dark bitter chocolate stays just at the edges never leaving the stage completely. Coffee and spices peek in and out at different times. There is a certain flux of scents until the drydown when the vanilla creeps in and barely sweetens the whole. Long lasting but stays close to the body. Each time I wore Coze, I liked it better and better. I also liked it more with an additional spray or two. It really brings out all the magic. I could wear this anytime.

02 November, 2009

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

Coze starts out as a very green, unsettling patchouli. At drydown, it is warmer and sweeter and quite ordinary. I wanted to love this one, but I don't.

25 October, 2009

Nostalgie's avatar
    Nostalgie

Cozé is to scent memory what the Human Genome Project is to genealogy.

When the phonemes in its name meet a first whiff of this pitchy brew, Cozé brings to mind “primordial ooze.” The rich blend, featuring canapa sativa seed oil, pepper, cocoa, ebony, coffee and pimento shocks at first, then eventually soothes by evoking something far away yet familiar, as mysterious as Easter Island, as mundane as rush-hour traffic. It is not the comfort smell of mother’s apron or grandfather’s pipe. No, one must dig deeper into the past. Cozé unleashes an imaginary journey through time and space, encompassing the La Brea Tar Pits, the African Savannah, a quest for fire, the Lascaux caves, exploration of the New World, and your favorite leather chair.

Hot, tarry, dusty, as pungent as burnt rubber, and rather beautiful in an uncanny way. Not for the faint-hearted, but a must-try all the same.

07 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2012)

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

Sharp, hot peppery woods with touch of dark chocolate and bitter coffee beans. Dark, bitter-sweet fragrance with strong earthy feel to it. I could swear there is both patchouli and vetiver used in this scent. (I presume they are placed under that “precious woods” note)
    Quite interesting juice, although in the end it’s unable to do anything special for me.

This reminds me strongly of some other fragrance, but I just could not get it in my mind while typing this….*pulling my hair off by the frustration*

I recommend this for anyone to try because I believe it can hit you very hard if you happen to be into it. It’s not boring, and its pretty distinctive. Get a sample and see what you think about it.

This is a masculine blend, btw. I’m not saying women cant wear this (of course they can!) but Coze smells quite butch….You can’t deny that, or can you? :)

03 March, 2009

Apicius's avatar
    Apicius
    Germany Germany

Not bad! Spices and pepper give this perfume a hot, ardent and firm approach. Very straightforward. No florals but somehow fruity topnote. Starting sweet and becoming dust-dry after a while.

I agree with Sir Slarty that you can detect a patchouly note after a while.

25 February, 2009

genvy5's avatar
    genvy5

I don't smell chocolate of coffee. I just get a very cozy "fireplace burning in the living room at Christmastime" scent. I feel like it's a bit flat, however. Lacks enough interesting character to make me want to buy it.

01st February, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Of all the notes listed... I smell a patchouli note. Resinous accords of amber, coffee and bourbon. These three notes must be giving me a patchouli illusion. Or maybe the illusion of A*Men? Anyways, it's deep but not rich, Coze is slightly herbaceous, lightly boozy, kinda woody but most of all chocolatey coffee. Nice scent but not impressive.

14 December, 2008

purplebird7's avatar
    purplebird7

Weird, incongruous notes. Fine if you're looking for something strange, but otherwise go for somehthing more conventional. Coffee and chocolate, fine, add pepper--not fine anymore. Ditto pimento. Just plain strange.

24 October, 2008

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Why bother when you can have the vastly superior Fumerie Turque. Too harsh on my skin, but doesn't smell bad on the test strip. I think the whole PG range is just trying a touch too hard to be different and end up overdoing and complicating their fragrances.

14 October, 2008

moltening's avatar
    moltening
    Thailand Thailand

Coze is a funky sharp herbal patchouli-scent with a texture of chocolate dust.

13 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2009)

lizzie_j's avatar
    lizzie_j

Like the inside of a treasured and ancient wooden box into which you, for some unfathomable reason, are storing sweets: mostly vanilla pralines and coffee nips. I find this fragrance, though quite masculine, very comforting and warm. Almost maternal in it's spirit. I enjoy wearing it for those reasons.

15 June, 2008

foetidus

This is spicy, woody, and resinous: the deep, dark, smoky nature of Coze 02 shows itself immediately. I have encountered few scents that exhibit such a strong hold on opaqueness so immediately. What little hint of sweetness there is comes from vanilla pods, which, in themselves are more woody than sweet. I believe that the assertive note in the top and middle is the hemp note; it is remarkable in its exotic wood / green richness. I’ve always loved the smell of hemp. I can’t really pick out many of the individual notes that are listed in the pyramid – chocolate, pimento, coffee – because the smoky resinousness totally dominates the accord to my nose. I’m sure those individual notes are there, but they form themselves in a shadowy but compelling background. I love what I get – a resinous woody, spice bomb along with the warm bitterness of some deep, dark expresso. Strangely enough, for such a strongly dry and powerful scent, it has limited longevity. I just can’t get more than an hour and a half activity on my skin – a fact that greatly disappoints me because I love the murky, dusky nature of Coze 02. Thumbs up for the accords and a pox on the longevity.

24 May, 2008

lefay's avatar
    lefay

I just unearthed a sample I've had for a while, was smitten, and had to order a bottle. Coze starts off spicy and slightly herbaceous, quickly cools down to a white smokiness, and lingers for hours with hints of dark chocolate and vanilla (which curiously are dry here, and not overly sweet. I'm not a big fan of gourmands -- most are cloying -- but manages to be both restrained and seductive). Definitely unisex, in my view, but not for ingenues of either gender.

13 July, 2007

Buzzlepuff's avatar
    Buzzlepuff

Spicy and dark, like a heady Bay Rum spice that vibrates with mystery and fun. There is a Caribbean vibe here. Quickly became one of my favorites. Unlike other spice scents this one has a warm but raw herbal resonance that provides depth to the spice notes - possibly from the sativa oil base. The pepper opens the nose to the resinous spice and the chocolate/vanilla rounds out the body of this very pleasant scent. A magical spice potion that I don't want to stop smelling.

09 May, 2007