Reviews of Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

Find out more about Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Manscents2's avatar

On my skin, up top I definitely got the hemp with a dash of pepper, but not overwhelming to my nose (but my sample was not a spray so I had to dab, which tends to make a difference to my skin on how a fragrance presents). About midway I could pick up the patchouli and was thrilled (one of my fave scents), intermixed with coffee and chocolate. Never detected the tobacco until drydown, and then almost an ashtray tobacco scent (but not in an unpleasant way). Honestly don’t know what Ebony wood is supposed to smell like, but I detect something woody at the base so presume that’s it. At the finish, patchouli, vanilla and sweet tobacco were the strongest on my skin.

On me this was not heavy but again I had to dab instead of spray which makes a difference for me. This had fairly soft sillage for me but I used only a small amount, and if I were actually using this from a bottle I’d definitely use more and probably get better projection from it. On my skin everything seemed to settle in after about an hour, and this lasted on me for about 4 – 5 hours before becoming a faint skin scent.

I definitely see this as a cool weather scent and would not wear in spring or summer heat, but I find it unoffensive enough that I’d wear it to the office. I also can see this being a nice fragrance for either day or evening wear. Unlike other reviewers, I never picked up that clove note even though I was intentionally looking for it (and I actually like clove). On me, the patchouli and vanilla with notes of tobacco and wood dominate, and if there are any cloves in there they are buried deep! Right now I’m riding between liking it and loving it, and will try it a few more times to see if I get nudged in one direction or the other.

I know this is a unisex scent, but to my nose this comes across as quite a sweet scent and on my skin definitely falls on the feminine side. I’m not sure some men would feel comfortable wearing this, while others would. Although, having said that, this PG02 Coze is intoxicating enough that the juxtaposition between this sweet fragrance on a macho guy wearing this rising up from his chest could be an alluring combination!

As always, your results may vary!

23rd December, 2014 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2014)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is one of those fragrances that could prove perfumery is art, not just combining a couple of notes!
    The opening is a great and very well balanced combination of lots of notes that blended together with the exact right dose and completely masterfully.
    Even though the patchouli note is in the base of the fragrance, you can smell it right after spraying it on and it takes and holds the bridle of the scent all the way through. the patchouli here is pungent, green, damp and slightly earthy. there is a strong yet smooth amount of natural tree resins smell right beside the patchouli note that gives the scent dirty, slightly woody and kind of oily feeling. have you ever seen and smelled the tears of the pine tree as a yellow resins on the body of the tree?! that type of feel and smell.

There is also some tobacco note with it's bitter herbal, slightly smoky and very elegant feeling that remind me of those expensive pipe tobaccos that only someone like legendary Sherlock Holmes would use.
    I can smell some sweetness in the background and also small dose of chocolate and coffee beside all these notes which they are sensual part of the scent! they give the bitter herbal, resinous, woody and slightly smoky feeling of the scent a very nice kick to tune down the bitterness and balance all the notes perfectly.

As time passes the scent is not going to change that much. it gets only slightly more woody and a little peppery that makes the scent heavier and a little darker. this description of the scent may look very brutal and heavy but this is the part that I was talking about. all these heavy, masculine and brutal notes blended together in a completely wearable and kind of smooth way that make this fragrance a great choice for fall and cool spring days.
    Projection is above average and longevity is variable between 6-8 hours on the skin. a great and easy to wear fragrance.

08th August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Coze opens up all cozy: warm, dark, fuzzy stuff that you can snuggle up against. It's not overly sweet, and it contains some smooth, well rendered wood notes that are really quite attractive. From the first I smell some smoke in the distance, and in very little time this smoke moves forward to dominate the scent. The rich, mysterious, and shadowy woods meanwhile jostle among themselves in the background. The accord that results smells like a dark oak panelled room with velvet upholstered furniture and some logs smoldering in the fireplace.

The gourmand notes listed in the pyramid don't make much of an impression on me, which is all for the better as far as I'm concerned. When compared to a couple of other smoky scents, Coze lacks the depth and complexity of Fumerie Turque, but it's far easier to wear than the ashtray and burnt coffee grounds concoction that is Maître Parfumeur et Gantier's Eau des Îles. It dries down to dark, spicy, mildly sweetened woods with some lingering smoke, and while it doesn't excite me much, I do think it's a pleasant scent for a damp winter's evening.

11th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 12th June, 2014)

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening is really nice and recognisable, a pleasant and dusty cigarette/ashtray smell with a green/earthy twist of patchouli and vetiver and, I guess, tobacco leaves, cumin, perhaps saffron, pepper, frankincense, ambroxan and some subtle and soft leather-animalic notes, all gently sweetened by a base of vanilla and aromatic woods (I bet cashmeran, with its signature "silky-woody-aromatic-soft vip lounge cozyness"). After a while this comes slightly closer to Knize Ten, although more like a kid dressed like Batman taking a picture with Adam West on set; same tobacco-leather earthy and dusty concept, just more linear, transparent, contemporary (i.e.: duller). I also detect some nice liquorice/coffee notes which enrich and "round" the blend. Then again the initial cigarette feel tones down and gets sweeter and softer, gently turning into a green-ambery old leather fougère feel, so basically still that same Knize Ten realm, just more sweet and "contemporary". Finally the drydown (quite light and short-lasting) gets a silky patchouli-incense feel, less leathery than before, still pleasant and unoffensive. Must say that it's a nice scent overall, it sounds a bit "empty" and synthetic to many extents, but it basically smells like a modern, fresher and more appealing (to a broader audience, I mean) version of an old fougère, which I am given to understand many silly young perfumistas would find "old-fashioned". So it's cute, and personally I'd even wear it sometimes if I found a bargain bottle, but other than that I personally wouldn't know what to do with this.

6,5-7/10

30th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 07th May, 2014)

michailG's avatar

beauty in a bottle

On my skin Cozé starts with a very mellow, sweet and dry medicinal accord, it turns incense like an hour later and settles into a vanilla comforting soft-bed of beauty. If this was more gourmand I wouldn't have liked it but it is not and therefore I enjoy it tremendously. Silage is very good and longevity excellent.

Pros: sweet and dry
    Cons:

21st August, 2013

Indagnacious's avatar

What an amazing fragrance! Sweet earth, spicy woods, and a bit of boozy-vanillic coffee undertones. I adore Nasomatto's frags and this could easily fit in with Hindu Grass and other offering from their line, but it doesn't need to. Parfumerie Generale is a near ground-breaking perfume house and Pierre Guillaume is wonderfully aggressive in his approach to perfumery. Plus I just realized PG is created by PG...coincidence? Probably not.

In this instance, the herbal-spice punch that goes on forever actually anchors the fragrance and pulls it back from the brink of total hippie-dippie, wacky tobacky hedonism. Don't get me wrong, this may be far too challenging for the right-wing conservative types to endure, but if you don't mind getting a little natural high, your work place doesn't test for drugs, (heh) and making an earthy statement is fine by you, than yes, this is something you definitely must try. Outstanding longevity and ridiculous sillage! A force to be reckoned with. Five stars in my book.

23rd February, 2013

Explorador's avatar

Loud, with a certain disgusting odour, between spicy and sweet.

12th January, 2013

jtd's avatar

Coze offers both that fresh, moist feel of a close-fitted evergreen forest canopy and the dry, herbal tone of a dry forest floor. With its hemp foundation, though, the other side of this combination of notes is an over-baked hash brownie. A delight either way.

30th November, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

A gourmand that isn't too sickly sweet, I detect cloves/nutmeg right from the start. Patchouli then makes an appearance. Pepper also. While this isn't something I'd wear, it is surprisingly harmonious considering the wide range of notes.

30th October, 2012

drseid's avatar

Coze gets right down to business on skin with a huge burst of patchouli emerging all the way from the base; soon joining a delicious semi-sweet dark chocolate and pimento almost clove-like spice primary heart notes that arrives quite early in the scent's development. Underneath the patchouli, dark chocolate and pimento trio lies a subtle ebony wood and mild coffee undertone combining with just the smallest amount of sandalwood and tobacco smoke from the base to round out the primary detectable notes. Longevity is average and projection above average.

Coze is really a great smelling fragrance. The patchouli, chocolate and all-spice combination is really exceptionally executed here by Guillaume. Also notable is the ebony and coffee that plays support but is just present enough in the background to add a differentiating feature to the primary notes at the fore. The scent overall is relatively sweet, but the sweetness never becomes cloying or distracting. As far as development goes, the scent is fairly linear revealing its true nature early and holding there. The bottom line is Coze is a very well-done composition that is highly recommended earning an excellent rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

28th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 29th July, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Since the first moments of its impalpable evolution Coze 02 appears in all its pungency and smokiness. The evolution is almost absent in my opinion and the final effect is nearly immediately accomplished. The patchouli together with pepper are prominent as well as a slightly herbaceous feel and a moderate touch of black and white chocolate with coffee. I perceive the note of canapa more in the final kind of mildness than in the aromatic herbaceous feel itself. The boozy temperament jumps immediately to attention and is a spicy boozy vibe, the taste of an exotic rum that you savour with in your mouth the flavour  of chocolate and fruits covered by coffee dust and nutmeg. The boozy and peppery-spicy vibe plus the woody final  consistence remind me a bit some nuances of the less syrupy-spicy and more gassy, leathery and  obscure Idole de Lubin. This peppery and liquorous feel surrounds all the elements since the beginning till the end together with the smoke. The sweetness is moderate and is a almost milky mild character from the note of vanilla and from the woods. The bitterness of coffee adds a considerable level of darkness to a fragrance that is moderately dense and very prickly and aromatic. May be the aromatic vibe is also produced by the canapa oil of the top regardless the spices an pepper.  I agree who with writes this scent is more a woody-spicy oriental than properly a gourmand. Too faint and well balanced are the edible notes and too tamed the sweetness. Any element is cloying or bombastic and the edible feel doesn't overwhelm the woody vibe or the aromatic-spicy temperament. Not bad at all but nothing that manages to break my heart.

26th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th March, 2013)

khrystyna's avatar

wow! today i am enchanted by this scent! yesterday, when the weather was hot, i tried coze 02 and it smelled too sweet and too bland; however today, when it has cooled down significantly i decided to give it another go - and now i cannot help but sniff my wrists every couple of minutes. really interesting and crisp scent, no hints of sweetness (until maybe a little bit later, when it dries down). for me it is a perfect mix of crisp deep herby notes and not sweet spicy/woody accords with the character. these are not 'nice' perfumes, but they are interesting and make you want to wear them again.

28th October, 2011

Sunsetspawn's avatar

I can't believe that I have to be one of two people to rain on this parade, but here goes.

Coze opens with coffee, chocolate, vanilla, wood, spice, patchouli, and hemp all rolled into a delicious scent. Oh and it smells so natural too; I just adored the opening. I was prepared for a purchase less than an hour in.

Of course Coze quickly ruined my party. A notorious note from Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather emerged. This note made me wanna stir the sauce, flee from helicopters, and bring guns to Jimmy's that were supposed to fit the silencers that he had. If only Karen had been around during the creation of Coze that awful note would've been flushed down the toilet because "they were gonna find it."

Anyway, Scorsese references aside, this awful note arises about two hours in, and persists for about three hours. After that it backs off and mixes with the other notes to create, once again, an interesting and pleasant experience. Unfortunately that does not and CAN NOT make up for hours 2-5 being a nasally abrasive chore. If I never smell this again as long as I live it will be too soon, same goes for Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather.

13th August, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Cozé opens dark, smoky and dusty with coffee, desweetened dark chocolate, woods, prominent patchouli and a slight boozy bourbon note. Spices join the party in a while adding depth and mistery to this warm composition. In the drydown I still detect a remarkable patchouli note together with dark woods, sandalwood and hints of vanilla. While Cozé is often listed as a gourmand, I more get it as a sort of dirty spicy oriental that will appeal to fans of the most challenging compositions by Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier, Parfum D'Empire and a bunch of Lutens.

If you're into fresh and clean fragrances you should carefully stay away from this, for all the others, this is great stuff. Maybe not as much unconventional as they want us to believe but still highly recommended.

21st June, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2011)

Weimar27's avatar

Sit down light a toke and enjoy the trip as you go through a yummy and groovy journey with COZE! this non conventional scent opens with pure and uncut Cannabis
    that adds to the inebriation of the mind dries with
    crushed patchouli evokes the earthiness of dancing barefoot in wet mud under a summer's rain, then dryness
    of paprika with sundried nuances and grounded pepper
    make this a fiery exotica of the southwest a world of azure blue skies and terracotta red earth finishes the
    top level,Tobacco opens our second journey with it's
    wisp of smoke caressing your senses with it's dry bitterness Dark Chocolate adds to the sexiness and
    animalistic properties Oud brings the dark and esoteric
    mysteries of the mind Sandalwood with golden hues ends
    this journey with dry fiery nuances.

This scent is daring and doesn't follow conventional rules of perfumery this is a unique piece.

08th January, 2011

Doctor Mod's avatar

I had been meaning to try a sample of this for a while, after becoming absolutely enamoured of PG's Aomassai. I had just taken a shower before preparing for bed. I don't know what demon inspired me to open the vial and pour it on myself, but I fear I shan't sleep well tonight.

Coze is an intoxicatingly beautiful fragrance, simultaneously sensual and spiritual, that stimulates every oversensitive nerve in one's body. It induces a mild sense of fear and disorientation even as it wraps one in a seemingly transcendent glow. The sacredness of the apparently non-existent incense note merges with the profane and decadent sensuality of the gourmand notes; but even as these olfactory entities seduce, there is a jarring green note shouting out. It is not until the drydown, some fifteen minutes later, that the canapa sativa reveals itself and recalls cannabis. (Ah, yes, a recalled memory.)

Yes, I inhaled. I breathed this perfume deep into my being. (Perhaps the anxiety it engenders is an ancient adolescent fear of being caught with this substance?) This is very fine indeed.

Nostalgie has described this "journey through time and space" far better than I can at this moment. The lyrics to "The Windmills of Your Mind" come back to me--the concatenation of the diverse notes strikes so many different emotional responses all at once that one can only describe it by means of metaphor.

This is not a "nice" or "pretty" fragrance. Rather, it is a stunning work of art whose dark beauty has the power to disturb in the way that all great art must--even as it seduces one into a space one does not want to leave.

Coze is probably best used as a private pleasure. It is fully capable of causing chaos in the workplace, and its extravagant hedonistic qualities are a bit too decadent for commonplace romantic pursuits.

Oscar Wilde tells us that "All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril." Coze is pure art.

Perhaps I shan't sleep well tonight enveloped in the déjà vu this fragrance evokes--but Coze is so beautiful that I really don't care.

22nd August, 2010

urfliness's avatar

To me Coze picks up where Polo left off.I thinks it's quite genius actually.The spices draw you in and the chocolate puts you to sleep.Well worth the price.

01st April, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

My initial try was sampling it going to bed to sleep and it was heavenly - a magical forest. I had it up as a must-have.

However by subsequent trials, Coze is too harsh to me. It has a rebellious wild ganja sativa vibe which is cool, but eventually annoying to me. And it's dry down to raw woods is a bit clumsy. By comparison, I prefer Tamboti Wood by Susanne Lang in it's smoothness and focus.

Coze is also similar to L’ Artisan Absinth. I'd choose Coze between those two.

The best thing going for Coze is the vivid wild woods reality to it, and I see it as an olfactory event rather than a personal scent for living in.

04th March, 2010

montmorency's avatar

It's an interesting anthropo-linguistic fact that French (and Italian) has no precise equivalent of the word 'cosy'. When I first tried Coze 02 I wondered if the name is an attempt in cod-French to invent the word and the concept to fill this unaccountable vacancy for a needy nation. The effect is certainly Cozee. Without doubt this is one of the oddest things I've ever tried, and to my nose it isn't, thank goodness, a gourmand, unless smelling like embers over which food was cooked a long time ago counts. I love it, though I have to decide if I want it for me or for my furniture. The nutty top sativa note yields to the smoky, resinous cold fireplace accord which to my nose has no bourbon-vanilla in it at all but does hint clearly of actual bourbon, one of the many substances in the world and in this perfume, including coffee and charcoal, that always smell far far better than they could ever possibly taste. Chocolate, coffee, pepper are mentioned in the tasting notes from PG - well, maybe, but if they were ever there, they've since been completely translated into smoke. I'm not sure this is even a personal fragrance; it's more like a state of mind, or a cure for insomnia. I haven't bought it yet, but I may have to, if only to sprinkle it on my pillow for comfort.

11th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2014)

Ranger's avatar

The canapa sativa seed oil is great in this. I smell it from top through drydown. Along with it, the dark bitter chocolate stays just at the edges never leaving the stage completely. Coffee and spices peek in and out at different times. There is a certain flux of scents until the drydown when the vanilla creeps in and barely sweetens the whole. Long lasting but stays close to the body. Each time I wore Coze, I liked it better and better. I also liked it more with an additional spray or two. It really brings out all the magic. I could wear this anytime.

02nd November, 2009

vintage*red's avatar

Coze starts out as a very green, unsettling patchouli. At drydown, it is warmer and sweeter and quite ordinary. I wanted to love this one, but I don't.

25th October, 2009

Nostalgie's avatar

Cozé is to scent memory what the Human Genome Project is to genealogy.

When the phonemes in its name meet a first whiff of this pitchy brew, Cozé brings to mind “primordial ooze.” The rich blend, featuring canapa sativa seed oil, pepper, cocoa, ebony, coffee and pimento shocks at first, then eventually soothes by evoking something far away yet familiar, as mysterious as Easter Island, as mundane as rush-hour traffic. It is not the comfort smell of mother’s apron or grandfather’s pipe. No, one must dig deeper into the past. Cozé unleashes an imaginary journey through time and space, encompassing the La Brea Tar Pits, the African Savannah, a quest for fire, the Lascaux caves, exploration of the New World, and your favorite leather chair.

Hot, tarry, dusty, as pungent as burnt rubber, and rather beautiful in an uncanny way. Not for the faint-hearted, but a must-try all the same.

07th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 19th April, 2012)

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Sharp, hot peppery woods with touch of dark chocolate and bitter coffee beans. Dark, bitter-sweet fragrance with strong earthy feel to it. I could swear there is both patchouli and vetiver used in this scent. (I presume they are placed under that “precious woods” note)
    Quite interesting juice, although in the end it’s unable to do anything special for me.

This reminds me strongly of some other fragrance, but I just could not get it in my mind while typing this….*pulling my hair off by the frustration*

I recommend this for anyone to try because I believe it can hit you very hard if you happen to be into it. It’s not boring, and its pretty distinctive. Get a sample and see what you think about it.

This is a masculine blend, btw. I’m not saying women cant wear this (of course they can!) but Coze smells quite butch….You can’t deny that, or can you? :)

03rd March, 2009

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

Not bad! Spices and pepper give this perfume a hot, ardent and firm approach. Very straightforward. No florals but somehow fruity topnote. Starting sweet and becoming dust-dry after a while.

I agree with Sir Slarty that you can detect a patchouly note after a while.

25th February, 2009

genvy5's avatar

I don't smell chocolate of coffee. I just get a very cozy "fireplace burning in the living room at Christmastime" scent. I feel like it's a bit flat, however. Lacks enough interesting character to make me want to buy it.

01st February, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Of all the notes listed... I smell a patchouli note. Resinous accords of amber, coffee and bourbon. These three notes must be giving me a patchouli illusion. Or maybe the illusion of A*Men? Anyways, it's deep but not rich, Coze is slightly herbaceous, lightly boozy, kinda woody but most of all chocolatey coffee. Nice scent but not impressive.

14th December, 2008

purplebird7's avatar

Weird, incongruous notes. Fine if you're looking for something strange, but otherwise go for somehthing more conventional. Coffee and chocolate, fine, add pepper--not fine anymore. Ditto pimento. Just plain strange.

24th October, 2008

Kaern's avatar

Why bother when you can have the vastly superior Fumerie Turque. Too harsh on my skin, but doesn't smell bad on the test strip. I think the whole PG range is just trying a touch too hard to be different and end up overdoing and complicating their fragrances.

14th October, 2008

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Coze is a funky sharp herbal patchouli-scent with a texture of chocolate dust.

13th October, 2008 (Last Edited: 29th July, 2009)

lizzie_j's avatar

Like the inside of a treasured and ancient wooden box into which you, for some unfathomable reason, are storing sweets: mostly vanilla pralines and coffee nips. I find this fragrance, though quite masculine, very comforting and warm. Almost maternal in it's spirit. I enjoy wearing it for those reasons.

15th June, 2008