Positive Reviews of Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

Find out more about Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is one of those fragrances that could prove perfumery is art, not just combining a couple of notes!
    The opening is a great and very well balanced combination of lots of notes that blended together with the exact right dose and completely masterfully.
    Even though the patchouli note is in the base of the fragrance, you can smell it right after spraying it on and it takes and holds the bridle of the scent all the way through. the patchouli here is pungent, green, damp and slightly earthy. there is a strong yet smooth amount of natural tree resins smell right beside the patchouli note that gives the scent dirty, slightly woody and kind of oily feeling. have you ever seen and smelled the tears of the pine tree as a yellow resins on the body of the tree?! that type of feel and smell.

There is also some tobacco note with it's bitter herbal, slightly smoky and very elegant feeling that remind me of those expensive pipe tobaccos that only someone like legendary Sherlock Holmes would use.
    I can smell some sweetness in the background and also small dose of chocolate and coffee beside all these notes which they are sensual part of the scent! they give the bitter herbal, resinous, woody and slightly smoky feeling of the scent a very nice kick to tune down the bitterness and balance all the notes perfectly.

As time passes the scent is not going to change that much. it gets only slightly more woody and a little peppery that makes the scent heavier and a little darker. this description of the scent may look very brutal and heavy but this is the part that I was talking about. all these heavy, masculine and brutal notes blended together in a completely wearable and kind of smooth way that make this fragrance a great choice for fall and cool spring days.
    Projection is above average and longevity is variable between 6-8 hours on the skin. a great and easy to wear fragrance.

08 August, 2014

michailG's avatar

beauty in a bottle

On my skin Cozé starts with a very mellow, sweet and dry medicinal accord, it turns incense like an hour later and settles into a vanilla comforting soft-bed of beauty. If this was more gourmand I wouldn't have liked it but it is not and therefore I enjoy it tremendously. Silage is very good and longevity excellent.

Pros: sweet and dry
    Cons:

21st August, 2013

Indagnacious's avatar

What an amazing fragrance! Sweet earth, spicy woods, and a bit of boozy-vanillic coffee undertones. I adore Nasomatto's frags and this could easily fit in with Hindu Grass and other offering from their line, but it doesn't need to. Parfumerie Generale is a near ground-breaking perfume house and Pierre Guillaume is wonderfully aggressive in his approach to perfumery. Plus I just realized PG is created by PG...coincidence? Probably not.

In this instance, the herbal-spice punch that goes on forever actually anchors the fragrance and pulls it back from the brink of total hippie-dippie, wacky tobacky hedonism. Don't get me wrong, this may be far too challenging for the right-wing conservative types to endure, but if you don't mind getting a little natural high, your work place doesn't test for drugs, (heh) and making an earthy statement is fine by you, than yes, this is something you definitely must try. Outstanding longevity and ridiculous sillage! A force to be reckoned with. Five stars in my book.

23 February, 2013

jtd's avatar

Coze offers both that fresh, moist feel of a close-fitted evergreen forest canopy and the dry, herbal tone of a dry forest floor. With its hemp foundation, though, the other side of this combination of notes is an over-baked hash brownie. A delight either way.

30th November, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

A gourmand that isn't too sickly sweet, I detect cloves/nutmeg right from the start. Patchouli then makes an appearance. Pepper also. While this isn't something I'd wear, it is surprisingly harmonious considering the wide range of notes.

30th October, 2012

drseid's avatar

Coze gets right down to business on skin with a huge burst of patchouli emerging all the way from the base; soon joining a delicious semi-sweet dark chocolate and pimento almost clove-like spice primary heart notes that arrives quite early in the scent's development. Underneath the patchouli, dark chocolate and pimento trio lies a subtle ebony wood and mild coffee undertone combining with just the smallest amount of sandalwood and tobacco smoke from the base to round out the primary detectable notes. Longevity is average and projection above average.

Coze is really a great smelling fragrance. The patchouli, chocolate and all-spice combination is really exceptionally executed here by Guillaume. Also notable is the ebony and coffee that plays support but is just present enough in the background to add a differentiating feature to the primary notes at the fore. The scent overall is relatively sweet, but the sweetness never becomes cloying or distracting. As far as development goes, the scent is fairly linear revealing its true nature early and holding there. The bottom line is Coze is a very well-done composition that is highly recommended earning an excellent rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

28 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2012)

khrystyna's avatar

wow! today i am enchanted by this scent! yesterday, when the weather was hot, i tried coze 02 and it smelled too sweet and too bland; however today, when it has cooled down significantly i decided to give it another go - and now i cannot help but sniff my wrists every couple of minutes. really interesting and crisp scent, no hints of sweetness (until maybe a little bit later, when it dries down). for me it is a perfect mix of crisp deep herby notes and not sweet spicy/woody accords with the character. these are not 'nice' perfumes, but they are interesting and make you want to wear them again.

28 October, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Cozé opens dark, smoky and dusty with coffee, desweetened dark chocolate, woods, prominent patchouli and a slight boozy bourbon note. Spices join the party in a while adding depth and mistery to this warm composition. In the drydown I still detect a remarkable patchouli note together with dark woods, sandalwood and hints of vanilla. While Cozé is often listed as a gourmand, I more get it as a sort of dirty spicy oriental that will appeal to fans of the most challenging compositions by Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier, Parfum D'Empire and a bunch of Lutens.

If you're into fresh and clean fragrances you should carefully stay away from this, for all the others, this is great stuff. Maybe not as much unconventional as they want us to believe but still highly recommended.

21st June, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2011)

Weimar27's avatar

Sit down light a toke and enjoy the trip as you go through a yummy and groovy journey with COZE! this non conventional scent opens with pure and uncut Cannabis
    that adds to the inebriation of the mind dries with
    crushed patchouli evokes the earthiness of dancing barefoot in wet mud under a summer's rain, then dryness
    of paprika with sundried nuances and grounded pepper
    make this a fiery exotica of the southwest a world of azure blue skies and terracotta red earth finishes the
    top level,Tobacco opens our second journey with it's
    wisp of smoke caressing your senses with it's dry bitterness Dark Chocolate adds to the sexiness and
    animalistic properties Oud brings the dark and esoteric
    mysteries of the mind Sandalwood with golden hues ends
    this journey with dry fiery nuances.

This scent is daring and doesn't follow conventional rules of perfumery this is a unique piece.

08 January, 2011

Doctor Mod's avatar

I had been meaning to try a sample of this for a while, after becoming absolutely enamoured of PG's Aomassai. I had just taken a shower before preparing for bed. I don't know what demon inspired me to open the vial and pour it on myself, but I fear I shan't sleep well tonight.

Coze is an intoxicatingly beautiful fragrance, simultaneously sensual and spiritual, that stimulates every oversensitive nerve in one's body. It induces a mild sense of fear and disorientation even as it wraps one in a seemingly transcendent glow. The sacredness of the apparently non-existent incense note merges with the profane and decadent sensuality of the gourmand notes; but even as these olfactory entities seduce, there is a jarring green note shouting out. It is not until the drydown, some fifteen minutes later, that the canapa sativa reveals itself and recalls cannabis. (Ah, yes, a recalled memory.)

Yes, I inhaled. I breathed this perfume deep into my being. (Perhaps the anxiety it engenders is an ancient adolescent fear of being caught with this substance?) This is very fine indeed.

Nostalgie has described this "journey through time and space" far better than I can at this moment. The lyrics to "The Windmills of Your Mind" come back to me--the concatenation of the diverse notes strikes so many different emotional responses all at once that one can only describe it by means of metaphor.

This is not a "nice" or "pretty" fragrance. Rather, it is a stunning work of art whose dark beauty has the power to disturb in the way that all great art must--even as it seduces one into a space one does not want to leave.

Coze is probably best used as a private pleasure. It is fully capable of causing chaos in the workplace, and its extravagant hedonistic qualities are a bit too decadent for commonplace romantic pursuits.

Oscar Wilde tells us that "All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril." Coze is pure art.

Perhaps I shan't sleep well tonight enveloped in the déjŕ vu this fragrance evokes--but Coze is so beautiful that I really don't care.

22 August, 2010

urfliness's avatar

To me Coze picks up where Polo left off.I thinks it's quite genius actually.The spices draw you in and the chocolate puts you to sleep.Well worth the price.

01st April, 2010

montmorency's avatar

It's an interesting anthropo-linguistic fact that French (and Italian) has no precise equivalent of the word 'cosy'. When I first tried Coze 02 I wondered if the name is an attempt in cod-French to invent the word and the concept to fill this unaccountable vacancy for a needy nation. The effect is certainly Cozee. Without doubt this is one of the oddest things I've ever tried, and to my nose it isn't, thank goodness, a gourmand, unless smelling like embers over which food was cooked a long time ago counts. I love it, though I have to decide if I want it for me or for my furniture. The nutty top sativa note yields to the smoky, resinous cold fireplace accord which to my nose has no bourbon-vanilla in it at all but does hint clearly of actual bourbon, one of the many substances in the world and in this perfume, including coffee and charcoal, that always smell far far better than they could ever possibly taste. Chocolate, coffee, pepper are mentioned in the tasting notes from PG - well, maybe, but if they were ever there, they've since been completely translated into smoke. I'm not sure this is even a personal fragrance; it's more like a state of mind, or a cure for insomnia. I haven't bought it yet, but I may have to, if only to sprinkle it on my pillow for comfort.

11th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2014)

Ranger's avatar

The canapa sativa seed oil is great in this. I smell it from top through drydown. Along with it, the dark bitter chocolate stays just at the edges never leaving the stage completely. Coffee and spices peek in and out at different times. There is a certain flux of scents until the drydown when the vanilla creeps in and barely sweetens the whole. Long lasting but stays close to the body. Each time I wore Coze, I liked it better and better. I also liked it more with an additional spray or two. It really brings out all the magic. I could wear this anytime.

02 November, 2009

Nostalgie's avatar

Cozé is to scent memory what the Human Genome Project is to genealogy.

When the phonemes in its name meet a first whiff of this pitchy brew, Cozé brings to mind “primordial ooze.” The rich blend, featuring canapa sativa seed oil, pepper, cocoa, ebony, coffee and pimento shocks at first, then eventually soothes by evoking something far away yet familiar, as mysterious as Easter Island, as mundane as rush-hour traffic. It is not the comfort smell of mother’s apron or grandfather’s pipe. No, one must dig deeper into the past. Cozé unleashes an imaginary journey through time and space, encompassing the La Brea Tar Pits, the African Savannah, a quest for fire, the Lascaux caves, exploration of the New World, and your favorite leather chair.

Hot, tarry, dusty, as pungent as burnt rubber, and rather beautiful in an uncanny way. Not for the faint-hearted, but a must-try all the same.

07 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2012)

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

Not bad! Spices and pepper give this perfume a hot, ardent and firm approach. Very straightforward. No florals but somehow fruity topnote. Starting sweet and becoming dust-dry after a while.

I agree with Sir Slarty that you can detect a patchouly note after a while.

25 February, 2009

genvy5's avatar

I don't smell chocolate of coffee. I just get a very cozy "fireplace burning in the living room at Christmastime" scent. I feel like it's a bit flat, however. Lacks enough interesting character to make me want to buy it.

01st February, 2009

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Coze is a funky sharp herbal patchouli-scent with a texture of chocolate dust.

13 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2009)

lizzie_j's avatar

Like the inside of a treasured and ancient wooden box into which you, for some unfathomable reason, are storing sweets: mostly vanilla pralines and coffee nips. I find this fragrance, though quite masculine, very comforting and warm. Almost maternal in it's spirit. I enjoy wearing it for those reasons.

15 June, 2008

This is spicy, woody, and resinous: the deep, dark, smoky nature of Coze 02 shows itself immediately. I have encountered few scents that exhibit such a strong hold on opaqueness so immediately. What little hint of sweetness there is comes from vanilla pods, which, in themselves are more woody than sweet. I believe that the assertive note in the top and middle is the hemp note; it is remarkable in its exotic wood / green richness. I’ve always loved the smell of hemp. I can’t really pick out many of the individual notes that are listed in the pyramid – chocolate, pimento, coffee – because the smoky resinousness totally dominates the accord to my nose. I’m sure those individual notes are there, but they form themselves in a shadowy but compelling background. I love what I get – a resinous woody, spice bomb along with the warm bitterness of some deep, dark expresso. Strangely enough, for such a strongly dry and powerful scent, it has limited longevity. I just can’t get more than an hour and a half activity on my skin – a fact that greatly disappoints me because I love the murky, dusky nature of Coze 02. Thumbs up for the accords and a pox on the longevity.

24 May, 2008

lefay's avatar

I just unearthed a sample I've had for a while, was smitten, and had to order a bottle. Coze starts off spicy and slightly herbaceous, quickly cools down to a white smokiness, and lingers for hours with hints of dark chocolate and vanilla (which curiously are dry here, and not overly sweet. I'm not a big fan of gourmands -- most are cloying -- but manages to be both restrained and seductive). Definitely unisex, in my view, but not for ingenues of either gender.

13 July, 2007

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Spicy and dark, like a heady Bay Rum spice that vibrates with mystery and fun. There is a Caribbean vibe here. Quickly became one of my favorites. Unlike other spice scents this one has a warm but raw herbal resonance that provides depth to the spice notes - possibly from the sativa oil base. The pepper opens the nose to the resinous spice and the chocolate/vanilla rounds out the body of this very pleasant scent. A magical spice potion that I don't want to stop smelling.

09 May, 2007

robyogi's avatar

A great scent for sure. I'll second the "dark" and "exciting" comments. Very dark, pitch black even. Sort of like MPG's Eau des Iles, but not as strong in the sillage department, and slightly sweeter. The coffee, pepper, and chocolate are prominent, as is something tar-like. I also get something spicy - maybe nutmeg. The sweetness is honey-like (but maybe that's the bourbon vanilla). It's a gourmand scent, but it's also not as thick or heavy as most gourmands, and while sweet, not as sweet as many. Sillage and longevity are both very good. Not being a huge fan of gourmands, this is not my favorite from PG, but still very good.

02 August, 2006

GenuineImitationLife's avatar

This is fantastic! Dark, moody and exciting. The rich gourmand notes are delicious and more-ish. Straight away I loved this scent. It's truly unique.

29 July, 2006