Reviews of Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Overpriced neroli cologne.
26th September, 2018
Beautifully crafted Neroli scent, characteristic of Tom Ford's elegant style and adherence to high standards in his production of the Private Blend Collection.

Neroli Portofino has a classic eau de cologne quality, made fancier by the inclusion of fancy supporting notes that all create a fresh, bright, clean lemony citrus and spice effect. I feel transported to a sunny Italian portside, feeling the warm breeze and smelling the seaside beckoning me to explore it.

Amazing how sharply divided reviews have been for this one! It seems to be based on what one's expectations are for this EdP compared to other such fragrances each one has experienced, as well as the longevity issue of Neroli Portofino.

As for me, I enjoy this elegant, alluring scent and give it a strong thumbs up!
01st September, 2018
I'll make this short: it's the exact scent of 4711 Eau de Cologne with better longevity. The scent itself is mesmerizing and spectacular (as is the scent of 4711, upon which this is based). But the longevity is only moderate at around 4-5 hours - which is an improvement to 4711 as that only lasts 2 hours if you're lucky, but it's nothing groundbreaking. And it's way overpriced. If you have the cash, then by all means get Neroli Portofino Forte for something better that lasts even longer. But if you don't want to pay that much, Bond No. 9's Eau de New York is just superior to this in every way and for less money. And the best cheap alternative to Neroli Portofino is Ferrari's Bright Neroli. But if you want something more 'green', then go for Mugler Cologne.

However if you really just want the Neroli Portofino scent to last on you for 8 hours and don't want to keep spritzing 4711 Eau de Cologne in a travel atomizer, then listen to my advice and get the perfume oil version of this for $6 from the Kuwaiti perfume oil company "Universal Perfume Oils and Cosmetics" (Google it). It's exactly the same as Neroli Portofino but with better projection and 8 hours longevity. And a 3 ml bottle of the oil should last you ages. You now have knowledge of the best kept secret in perfume buying.

22nd May, 2018

Much has been said and made of Neroli Portofino, perhaps one of the first fragrances in the modern era to explore the highly concentrated eau de cologne style. Perhaps this is a marvel of modern technology, possible only in this day and age.

Neroli Portofino is essentially a super concentrated version of the classic cologne (4711) structure. It has a bright, sparkling neroli opening that persists an appreciable amount of time on skin before subsiding to a subtle ambery base. It has appreciable sillage initially and rather good tenacity considering it's basically an amplified eau de cologne.

But there is a caveat.

Personally I'm not certain whether more concentration is always better in the case of eau de colognes. A traditional cologne aims to be refreshing, invigorating and provide brief joy and upliftment, meant to reapplied every hour or two. A super concentrated cologne, therefore, could essentially be self-defeating in its purpose.

If one is just looking for a long-lasting fresh fragrance, there are numerous more exciting options in forms of fresh florals, fresh vetivers and even aquatics.

Secondly, since Tom Ford did Neroli Portofino, everyone has tried to do their own Neroli Portofino aka concentrated cologne. For instance, Malle's Cologne Indelebile (very much alike to Neroli Portofino itself, except for having a clean white musk base) seems to have even more radiance and tenacity than Neroli Portofino.

Personally I prefer traditional eau de colognes (Nicolai, Mugler, Guerlain, Hermes....), fresh florals (Chanel Cristalle), fresh vetivers (Guerlain, Tom Ford, Lubin), aquatics (Bulgari Aqua, Sel Marin) or simply concentrated colognes that are more innovative (many from Atelier Cologne, and possibly others).

While the opening is very invigorating, it can come across as screechy on a bad day.

Note: While I believe this was the first 'concentrated eau de cologne' on the market, I shall be very grateful if anyone is able to point to another 'concentrated eau de cologne' released contemporaneously or earlier.

P.S. My recommendation? Try Mugler Cologne, which is one-tenth the price and ten times as fun. It doesn't last as long on skin, but lasts longer in memory.

2.5/5
11th January, 2018
Another Neroli fragrance.
I tried both versions (normal and intense). Intense is a bit more interesting, bitter, different, but projects less. Normal is more acid and fruity. Smells like a good eau de Cologne. A bit disappointing.
30th December, 2017
Average Neroli fragrance but with a green vibe that makes it damp and annoying. Castle Forbes Special Reserve Neroli is much better and cheaper.
For the fashion victims only not the connoisseurs .

Fragrance: 2/5
Projection: 3/5
Longevity: 3/5
14th December, 2017
It's ok but definitely not worth the cost. Citrusy, light, summery. It's nice but it's nothing exceptional. Really unimpressed with the longevity and sillage as well.
02nd December, 2017
I rarely dislike any fragrance within the first few minutes, but alas this one was an immediate scrubber. I wanted to love this one, and the citrus family is my preferred fragrance family, but it just made me violently ill. I will never forget the face of the poor sales attendant at Bergdorfs as she escorted me to the gents! Embarrassing yes, but thank goodness I tried this before ordering blind as per my usual habit.
25th January, 2017
As others have said ..4711 with a little bit more longivity ..pretentious rip off to be honest ..if you like this buy a few bottles of 4711 and go wild with decanter sprayers etc but personally I'd buy a bottle of aqua di parma essenza or penhaligons castille or geo.f. trumpers Gft. .all three are light years ahead of this.
28th September, 2016
I actually really enjoy this fragrance , fresh and perfect for summer but I asked my daughter to test it and she thinks it smells exactly like CIF lemon cleaner. Completely ruined it for me.
11th September, 2016
I already have Encre Noir Sport, so when I sprayed TF's Neroli Portofino on my arm and smelled it, that's immediately what it reminded me of, so I went and sprayed the Lalique on my other arm for a direct comparison. They are similar but the EN Sport is more harsh with the brash orange rind while NP is smoother, maybe even with some sweetness and no bitter orange peel. Very fresh and uplifting with surprising longevity on my skin.
30th May, 2016
BoxPred Show all reviews
This gets a thumbs up because it smells divine: this is the Med in a bottle for me. Somebody mentioned that it smells like a very nice sun cream and I would agree. However, anyone who has sampled 4771 Cologne will surely agree that this simply is not worth the almost £3/ml asking price. At roughly 40 times the price of 4771 this is simply nowhere near 40 times as good. This is after all 4771 with a little something extra that lasts for a little longer (I couldn't detect this after 3 hours of wear). As has already been mentioned, you can get very similar for a lot lot less. In my opinion whether you can afford this or not it is extortionate. Doesn't stop me really wanting a bottle though :)
10th May, 2016
Alright...it's official. I'm in love. I'm looking down the barrel of another expensive purchase. :( The fragrance world is killing me, but I must have some of this juice! The small sample I've got is just not going to be nearly enough! I want the 8.4 oz. jumbo bottle!!! Seriously though, this fragrance is transportive...it's so fresh and amazing that I could probably wear it everyday all summer long. It's just that good. It's so good in fact that I'm considering coming off my self imposed ban from buying any more fragrance for awhile...I'm a sick man...but I sure do smell good! :)

Oh, and for the record, this has lasted all day on me. I've been enjoying this fresh beautiful scent for about 10 hours now. :)
23rd April, 2016 (last edited: 24th April, 2016)

neroli portofino is what started it all for me !

from the moment i first smelt this i was in love and i knew id never be able to go back to the designer world

my olfactive taste will forever lay in the realm of the private collections of todays top houses/niche scents

anyone who says this isnt worth the money either is a hater or just cant afford it or they just dont appreciate it for what it is

its like comparing it to bottled water why but it when you can drink tap its that simple of a comparison but clearly tap and bottled water just isnt the same !!!

it takes a refined palate to appreciate what a work of art this scent truly is so dont put down something because at first smell it maybe similar or the same to you as something else

neroli porotfino has its place among the top heavy hitter if you ask me

its smells clean crisp and wont disappoint its truly a scent you need not worry about being to in your face

its safe enough to wear in any occasion so give it a go and decide for yourself if this scent is for you

on to the next
22nd January, 2016
There’s little left to say about this fragrance, that other fragrance snobs didn’t say already. Neroli Portofino is a mildly pleasant, incredibly overpriced citrus-neroli cologne with a musky-herbal undertone and a sort of “laundry” soap feel. Just place it anywhere in the Dantesque limbo between 4711 and Acqua di Parma citrus colognes. Just to be clear, it smells decent: exceedingly dull, even a bit cheap honestly, with no rich or “natural” nuances but a rather sanitized, militarly linear designer feel, also quite faint shortly after the initial burst of citrus-herbal notes. But it’s nice, fresh, safe, “GQ advertising dude” kind of classy. And there’s really nothing more to add. The only interesting thing to add would be a group brainstorming on the reasons why should someone decide to spend that money for this instead of a dozen of drugstore neroli-soapy fragrances doing the exact same job as this with the same exact quality and outcome ( “quick money laundering” would be my best guess).

17th November, 2015
For the money, Neroli Portofino just doesn't stand out for me. It's not a bad fragrance, and has a nice orange blossom, neroli and amber accord that stays linear throughout. My issue is the projection and longevity are extremely weak for an EDP of this price. Mugler Cologne covers this territory much better, as do hundreds of others, so I'll be generous and go with a Neutral, trending Thumbs Down.
05th November, 2015
Plato Show all reviews
I tried a sample of this today at Saks. This just doesn't do it for me, but I can see how it would work with others' tastes. I find it to be too linear and sweet. It reminds me a little too much of suntan lotion, albeit a high quality one.
09th September, 2015
Glad to finally try this one out, and as one of more hyped Tom Ford Private Blend EDPs (like Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather), the expectations were reasonably high, and most were met: namely, that Neroli Portofino is a neroli-intensive cologne-like fragrance that is stronger than its counterpart, and this is generally true. As another reviewernotes, NP draws from the original "eau de cologne" concept and in that vein, NP can be likened to 4711 itself, with another relevant comparison being Thierry Mugler's "Mugler Cologne" (also hyped plenty in its own right). As expected, NP exceeds both of these EDC options with its EDP concentration, so much of NP's value comes from its concentration. But I would also that its particular take on the concept begun by 4711 is a pleasant combination of notes (surely more inviting than Acqua di Parma's original Colonia, for one). Neroli is central and dominant, but NP isn't so overwhelmingly soapy that it doesn't have citrus or more traditional floral elements as well. Lavender provides freshness, and a blend of citrus notes gives balance.

Neroli Portofino is definitely worth a try, but while among the better TF Private Blend options I've tried, it's a little difficult to justify spending more when there are close substitutes. One would really have to love the original eau de cologne / neroli smell, and Neroli Portofino in particular, in order to opt for this. Very good on the whole, though!

8 out of 10
06th August, 2015
Neroli Portofino is Tom Ford's take on the classic eau de Cologne type of fragrance. That is, orange flower blossom, citrus, herbs and amber. This is a very simple recipe, and it's one which is available in many forms. This fragrance is just Tom Ford's take on it.

It opens up extremely fresh and soap-like. It's one thing I love about this fragrance. It smells very refined and natural. I can't fault it on smell, and if the intention was to smell luxurious then this succeeds at it.

However, even though this is an eau de parfum concentration, I still find it lacking in projection and longevity. There are issues here which become apparent the longer the fragrance wears in skin. This would not be such a problem (after all, an eau de cologne by nature is fleeting, as it has no base to hold it for an extended period of time), but for the price, this is bad. Because for the price you would pay for this, you would expect it to last at least most of your day. However I only get a maximum of 4 hours with this, and that isn't something I would pay £140 for.

So to conclude, I can't fault the fact that it smells like pure luxury, however it is not an experience which lasts for the time I would want. But then, that's all what eau de colognes are about, a luxurious, satisfying experience which is only meant to refresh the wearer briefly (and they are usually an expensive luxury to begin with). For me, I can think of other alternatives. But if money is no object to you, I will admit the quality is superior to other brands, so if you can afford it, you will smell elegant and refined, just not for very long. Which is the whole idea anyway. I just expected more from a Tom Ford Private Blend (and at this price).
23rd July, 2015
Proof positive that Tom Ford is an ego genius that lives in a quixotic world where no other fragrances exist except perhaps in nature.

You could in theory get rid of all your fragrances and buy EVERYTHING that says Tom Ford on it. The fragrances are nothing new, in fact many houses have launched known examples (Mugler Cologne is the one I am thinking of here). Yet the TF version is so TF: modern and vintage all at once.

I suppose if you don't consult other fragrances before you create your jus then you end up with creations like NP. It's existence serves the purpose of rounding out TF's line...and satisfying TF's need to show you, yes you that he can do it. And better.
30th June, 2015
AlHamr Show all reviews
Neroli Plastiscino…
15th May, 2015
I made a mistake and bought this. This is actually a cologne that is ... expensive. That's about it , it gets feedback if that means something to you. I personally prefer Mugler Cologne or Eau de Guerlain. Trying desperately to get rid of it.
21st February, 2015
I love the scent of this, but I wish it lasted on me and projected at all. The initial spray smells delectable, but the dry down smells weirdly like A&D ointment. I don't find that to be a negative, though, because it makes me think of my children.

All in all, I'm rather ambivalent about this one. Glad I did not purchase it.
03rd February, 2015
I can't make my mind up about this one. The best I can say is that it's "nice" - which is to say I'm damning it with faint praise. It's pleasant, and opens with a lovely flowing citrus note, then the herbal rosemary base opens up with a hint of lavender over the top. Everything smells very clean and a bit too safe. Longevity is not great - it's gone within a couple of hours. Basically, this is a mass market fragrance selling at a premium, niche price. There are FAR better fragrances in the Tom Ford Private Blend range - Oud Wood, for instance, is one of the best fragrances of the last twenty years - so try it before you buy it.
17th December, 2014
Opens with equal parts Dove soap and Ferre's Bergamotto Marino with hints of Mugler Cologne in the background... it smells like the most expensive soap in the world.

After a few minutes I get less Dove and more Mugler Cologne, only sharper and without the powder that eventually emerges with Cologne, as well as some subtle but very natural clementine notes.

It brings to mind sun, grassy fields, and citrus.

It's probably one of the best fragrances I've ever sampled...

...if only it stuck around for more than 20 minutes. After that it's a faded shadow of it's former self that only serves to remind you of how good it was when you put it on. The price tag is impossible to ignore as well; $150/ 1oz, $235/ 1.7oz CAD is ridiculous for such a poorly performing fragrance, even if it is done in a "traditional Cologne" style.

Neroli Portofino lifts you up into Heaven and then cruelly pulls you back down to Earth within moments.

It rates a solid, solid Positive for scent, but a low Neutral for performance.
08th December, 2014
I really did not like this one.

I gave a good spray on my wrist whilst out shopping and kept checking it during the day.

Nothing changed, it just stayed the same all day long, and what was there was not pleasant.

I just felt like something (perhaps a slug or snail) had crawled onto my wrist, died, and then fallen off a few hours later.

The resulting smell of what was left was Neroli Portofino.

I know this may seem like a very strange thing to say, but the scent of NP just put me in mind of "dead things", even though I don't really know what "dead things" smell like.

Maybe it's just me...
17th October, 2014
Yes indeed, this is in a similar vein as Mulger, 4711, Acqua di Parma Colonia, etc. However, Neroli Portofino is the only one out of all of the options that I tried that has the quality, silage, longevity, masculinity that I was looking for and it didn't leave me wishing for something more. And, while the scent isn't all that original or groundbreaking, there is something a bit more contemporary about Neroli Portofino that, while subtle, sets it apart from many of the "classics". I don't ever feel like I am wearing something old timey when I wear it. These things make it well worth the price, as far as I am concerned. If you like the Eau de Cologne style and want a fragrance that performs like more reliable fragrances that you may be used to, this is probably it.
28th July, 2014
I Just bought a bottle on ebay, 50 ml for $100. I applied it around 11am this morning and as I am typing this review it is still wafting, the Lavender is prominent on the dry down, a little amber, very slight. Would I pay full price? Yes if I have to. Great bargain. I was looking for a good summer fragrance with a tropical feel. Virgin Island water has too much Coconut to wear casually. Neroli Portofino with a white tee and shorts is unbeatable. Give it a chance, I used up a Bloomingdales sample and decided to make my purchase. It was available cheaper, why not....

C
12th May, 2014
That first 3 seconds after spraying this I get a honeysuckle note that dries down into a somewhat citrus splash of orange juice. It doesn't last long at all on my skin.
17th April, 2014
A stupendously beautiful neroli perfume, this is indeed just like 4711, but with outstanding projection & longevity. lt also has a woodiness in the base that the other lacks, & it doesn't have that metallic quality that l get from scents like Profumum's Neroli. lt lasts a good ten hours on me; easily the longest-lasting citrus that l've tried. A perfectly refreshing summer scent, & one can't help but think of azure seas when gazing at that bottle.
29th March, 2014