Negative Reviews of Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Find out more about Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Q. R. Crumm's avatar

I really did not like this one.

I gave a good spray on my wrist whilst out shopping and kept checking it during the day.

Nothing changed, it just stayed the same all day long, and what was there was not pleasant.

I just felt like something (perhaps a slug or snail) had crawled onto my wrist, died, and then fallen off a few hours later.

The resulting smell of what was left was Neroli Portofino.

I know this may seem like a very strange thing to say, but the scent of NP just put me in mind of "dead things", even though I don't really know what "dead things" smell like.

Maybe it's just me...

17 October, 2014

Sly2scents's avatar

That first 3 seconds after spraying this I get a honeysuckle note that dries down into a somewhat citrus splash of orange juice. It doesn't last long at all on my skin.

17 April, 2014

michailG's avatar

I really love Neroli and orange blossoms occupy a distinct place in my childhood memories. Neroli Portofino is true to its name (take out Portofino). It is a glorious Neroli-Hesperidic concoction that is pure joy. But then I realized that I had to bathe in it to feel its presence and still its silage and longevity were average. If this was an EdC or a body splash I would have understood it, but since it's marketed as an EdP I am really dissatisfied with it. The price tag is inversely proportional to the juice inside that otherwise beautiful bottle. Gilded plates and a nice bottle don't make up for a perfume that does not deliver. Nevertheless NP will look great on your beauty counter!

22 February, 2014

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I love most of the perfumes in the Tom Ford Private Blend Line, some are outstanding. They are different and unique, but not this one, it is just another classical Acqua de Colonia.
    Wearing it feels like wearing 4711, people around me think I am wearing 4711, however TF NP goes for around 300 bucks for the 3.4 oz bottle, and 4711 can be found in internet for less than 10, that is 30 times as much.
    So, what is the point? If I want to smell like 4711, why spend a fortune,or if I want to impress my friends wearing a expensive an exclusive cologne, why TF NP when they will think is 4711?
    And to top it off, there are better versions of the classic Acqua de Colonia like Extra Vieille, or Farina Gegenüber,or Acqua di Parma, or Acqua Classica Borsari or even Mugler Cologne, but if I really want to smell great with a classic Acqua de Colonia I would wear my favorite: Myrurgia 1916.
    I own all of the others I mentioned, so there is no space in my wardrobe for Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino

23 January, 2014

ericcampos's avatar

To classic, sometimes annoying.
    Very expensive for this fragrance which I agreed is very similar to Mugler's Cologne.
    But an amazing bottle color and design.

11th January, 2014

Tony T's avatar

Smells too much like Mugler's Cologne.. Very identical.. Longevity is about the same as well as projection on my skin.. Save your hard earned cash folks..

29 December, 2013

DAOUDHAWA's avatar

Smells like rose water which is a lovely scent but not at that price

23 September, 2012

Chicagoista's avatar

I’m a little mystified by the good reviews. I will confess, though, that NP reminds me of a cheap scent from my childhood, so that might be part of my poor response.

Scent starts with an artificial citrusy brightness. Tones down a bit within a few moments, gets somewhat warmer and wearable, but goes nowhere special. I’d like to say more, but really, the frag doesn’t warrant it.

27 January, 2012

bee hives's avatar

this smells exactly like aloe vera gel. like it on my sunburn, not in my private collection. get real, tom ford.

12 September, 2011

jamwires's avatar

You need to spend some time with this one to appreciate it's beauty. Performance - wise, it crushes most of the competition, maybe it's worth the price tag for the great longevity? It's ok to compare this to EdCs, but those don't perform half as good as NP does.

In the soapy scent arena, I prefer Creed Original Vetiver for its green undertones and dry down, but am considering buying this one too.

27 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2013)

Dulcinea2009's avatar

I usually love true orange blossom scent but this was putrid to me. I was at the fragrance counter at Sak's sampling many of the fine Tom Ford Collection scents and this one was a stand out! Reminded me of a Motel 6 I stayed in in Winnemuca, NV in 1983-linoleum floor cleaner. Definitely interesting the role of the olfactory sense in our memory.

31st May, 2009

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The worst side of neroli: pure cleaning fluid. Sickening.

21st June, 2007