Neutral Reviews of Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Find out more about Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rogalal's avatar

Usually I'm a big fan of neroli scents, but this one just hasn't won me over.

It kicks off with neroli (duh), but it's mixed with orange blossom, which makes it much more floral than most neroli scents. There's candied lime on top and a pinch of aldehydes for sparkle. The whole thing is very soapy, and there's a salty bodies-on-a-beach accord underneath everything.

Maybe it's that I think Fire Island does the flowery bodies on a beach thing much better than this, or maybe it's that I think Creed's Original Vetiver or Bond's Eau De New York are better at green candied neroli, or maybe it's just too soapy for me, but Neroli Portofino just isn't grabbing me.

04 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2014)

's avatar

Soapy which is sad

The headline says it all. It is light and summery and very nice but really soapy when you put it on.

So - I went out and bought the soap! Which is actually rather nice.

Whereas the Body Oil - I even wrote to Tom Ford customer service about it - no reply of course - because whilst it is a nice oil that has some pleasing elements - it is entirely ruined by a kind of mildew smell. Perhaps it is the way it reacts to me - but the mildew aroma is so pronounced I was wondering if somehow my wardrobe had got damp.

So - perfume ok, soap good, body oil diasastrous. On with the orange blossom search.

Pros: Soapy at first and then disappears too early once the soapiness goes
    Cons: It is the closest I have come to Orangle Blossom"

23 October, 2013

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Tom Ford goes Acqua di Parma. A soft neroli/bergamot combo, subdued, understated. If you like these colognes (Parma, Genova) but find them too sharp generally, then Neroli Portofino is a nice alternative.

18 February, 2013

rbaker's avatar

This is not a very bright sunshine fragrance, but a heavier and darker Cologne-type fragrance on me. Neroli with orange blossom, and an amber backbone in the drydown. Much less of a fresh and invigorating 4711-style creation, deeper and heavier and a very synthetic impression. This latter feature, however, adds silage and a longevity of over five hours, but it remains a soso-average fragrance.

20th November, 2012

pince_nez's avatar

If you are a fan of 4711 or Jean Marie Farina (by Roger & Gallet), you will mostly likely enjoy this frag. Fresh/ invigorating/ citrus-herbal-aromatic take on the "kolnisch wasser" genre, this one is quite nice.

It is amplified chic, per Tom Ford, as housed in an aqua square bottle. A great day fragrance, and considerably overpriced and over-hyped. But if you don't mind that, this is certainly enjoyable.

28 October, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

Citrus and neroli with a hint of sweetness are the main players here. It's smells nice but nothing special amongst the variety of scents like this from Acqua di Parma and Castile by Penhaligons.

Why spend a fortune on this when you can by it's like cheaper and done better elsewhere. It's smells nice but does not stand out enough to warrant the pricetag.

26 October, 2012

Darvant's avatar

An introducing  bright and invigorating  aromatic stage of herbs, orange blossoms, mandarine and bergamot very soon morphs in to something soapy, delicately airy, a bit detergent and smooth. There is an herbal cool aroma (may be patterns of mint, sage or verbena) at the beginning which i enjoy a lot. Neroli Portofino is a tribute to the orange blossoms in the same vein of the classic 4711, some Acqua di Parma Colonia and Eau d'Orange verte, a joyful juice which  is anyway unable to match that level of distinction we catch in the latter.  A soft amber bed envelops and amalgamates the elements  in a soapy conventional dry down with orangy undertones. The juice is easy, initially cool and than slightly warmer, is a pleasant and dignified aroma to me but a bit unworthy of its price and with a short lasting power. A good choice for the warmer seasons anyway. Better for the daily occasions.

21st June, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2012)

surge's avatar

Finally got a hold of a 50ML bottle of this, have been wanting to try it for some time due to all the tom ford "spa" and beauty products (body wash, scrub, etc.) surrounding this scent getting heavy promotion.

Prior to sampling this I had no clue what neroli smelled like.

First impression -- reminds me of Azure lime without the lime...I guess I know now what neroli is and smells like, and I love it.

It reminds me of a scratch and sniff sticker from 1st grade, but more elegant and with musk underneath it. The longevity on this is absolutely excellent...8 hours at least for me.

Why can't azure lime have this good longevity!? ^_^

This is going to make it into my summer rotation that's for sure...great scent.

17 February, 2012

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Pleasant and nice fresh eau de cologne, unisex and catchy bottle.

This smells like "Nenuco" eau de cologne for babies...you can buy a litre bottle for 6 Euros.

Can you guess the rest of the review?

Medium Thumbs...

22 January, 2012

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I can't really judge it wile wearing it in the wintertime, but so far it smells like a chemical citrus and some other stuff I can't seem to point out. I will give this a try in the summertime. Maybe it'll be better then.

04 January, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

This particular fragrance opens up with an evident neroli note which it's not crude, herbal like in Bois Blond from Atelier Cologne, instead it is slight sweet.

After about 15 minutes the citric aspect at the top disappear giving space to a more comfortable, soapy aroma becoming very pleasant on my skin, but this EDC aspect makes me confuse...

to me this fragrance is a good one, but the price tag is just ridiculous. This fragrance does not worth the price tag. If it were cheaper it would be an awesome daily fragrance.

03 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Eau De Cologne anyone? A long lasting Eau De Cologne which smells fine but sells at a ridicolous and definitely otrageous price. Nothing new, go for the original or for other billions of cheaper interpretation of the same theme.

07 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

earthmonkey's avatar

I'm not a huge fan because the smell is too cloyingly sweet to me personally, constantly reminding me of what I am wearing. I would much rather wear this out in the open air on a summer vacation than in the office. Of course, I have always preferred scents that are more subtle to my senses, yet which surprise those who haven't been around me. That being said, others haven't said bad things about this scent on me. Yes I have smelled this type of scent on plenty of Germans, no joke, although I was young and naive and didn't know about 4711.

Other than that, what can I say that hasn't been said? So much neroli at the start, amber base notes, good sillage. Some urinal cakes smell this good, which is kind of disturbing...

05 March, 2011

LemonKeith's avatar

Smell like tempo tissue from Germany

03 September, 2010

Neurotic Scientist's avatar

This smells quite nice but it is really not that much different than a quality neroli fragrance oil. Definitely not worth the price.

26 August, 2009

mikeperez23's avatar

I joked when this was released, that the name Neroli Portofino sounds like a condominium complex. I kept secretly hoping that I wouldn't like this, since if I bought a full bottle of it and people smelled it and wanted to know what it was, I'd have to say this silly name out loud.

I think NP is best summed up by calling it an Eau de Parfum formula of a classic neroli eau cologe (like 4711) I love eau colognes and while most of them are designed to wear very lightly with no 'oomph', which is disappointing since I want citrus scents to last. I thought that was impossible.

Well NP has this. I used to have difficulty differentiating neroli and orange blossom but ever since I tried NP now I understand completely how different neroli is. Just so fresh and bracing.

The scent has very little complexity and doesn't really 'develop' at all. It lasts longer than the eaux de colognes, of course, but not much more longer than 4-5 hours.

At it's price point (upwards of $150 a bottle), it's hard to fall in love with NP over other 'more affordable' neroli fragrances (Neroli by Czech & Speake comes to mind).

04 October, 2008