Positive Reviews of Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Find out more about Oud Wood by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

manicboy's avatar

Does Tom Ford really need to tell us that Oud is "Wood"? Not really but it was 2007 and Oud was not yet a household name like it is today. Tommy was early to the Oud band-wagon as now everybody and their brother (Ferrari anyone?) has an Oud fragrance. Synthetic oud oil must be getting cheap these days.

That said, is Oud Wood any good? Yes, it is quite nice but not compelling, especially at $215/50ml. The opening is a strident cardamon accord that comes across as almost fruity. I can't really detect detect much else at this point save for the approaching oud. Of course, the cardamon fades into the subtle oud (yes, it's soft and supple). The oud is warm and not animalic at all like other ouds I have smelled. Tommy really rounded off the raw edges of the oud with a touch of sweetness from a bit of amber and tonka. The base lasts forever and smells quite distinctive and suave. Not very complex but I'm more than impressed with the quality of it all (a few sprays last all day).

Would I pay retail for this? No, but if it's discounted then I'm game. Other than that, I'll stick with Montale's take on oud as they're just as good and much cheaper.

19 September, 2014

Classyscents's avatar

I have the 12ml bottle from the 5 pack sampler and this scent is amazinggg. Wood, spice, oud, vanilla. This has everything any man should wear. It is real good on its on but with the other private blends (love the sampler) layered over it is on of the best smells there is. The only reason I do not own more is I need the 100ml bottle and I need at least tobacco vanille or Tuscan leather 100ml. Either of those combos, or all three, is like whoa... I feel like my own perfumer ever time I finish. Some synthetic components but I just love this scent.

So yea. This is a crucial piece of the puzzle and a very expensive one, at least in my opinion. This scent is a must for my collection, eventually....

20th March, 2014

marcuslaughter's avatar

great on its own, and even better when mixed with other fragrances from the private blend line, I would not want to do without this in my collection.

24 December, 2013

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a great and classy masculine fragrance and I like it so much.
    The opening is a really rich and bold, but at the same time non aggressive combination of oud, brazilian rosewood, some spices and a little bit of sweetness.
    The oud note smell really good, oily and quality.
    There is brazilian rosewood as well that give the scent a sharp and semi fresh woody feeling.
    There are some spices and some sweetness from amber but they are mostly in the background.
    Something that I really love about the scent is the balance of the notes. just masterfully done by Tom Ford.
    In the mid and base I can smell a beautiful creamy sandalwood mixed with some oud and rosewood.
    Longevity is great and projection is good.
    It's not something very unique and different but amazing quality and great balance of the notes is the reason why you're paying this price.

23 December, 2013

jjmoney's avatar

I really like this juice. It stood out from an "oud notes" sampler pack and I kept coming back to it, now I am applying it regularly. I have purchased a decant now and will likely work my way up to a full bottle. I may experiment with spiking this with oud oil as well.

It works good on my skin. It's a little powdery/astringent on the opening, but I keep picking up great notes of amber, tonka?, vanilla?, spicy earthy oils, etc as it wears on. Longevity isn't huge, but the drydown is great and that to me is what's important.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a sample for anyone that is interested in the published scent notes of this fragrance.

05 December, 2013

Eugene Tooms's avatar

Terrific - Tom Ford's masterpiece

I bought this in Saks Fifth Avenue in Santa Barbara, CA, having tried it at the airport on my way over from Europe on a business trip. "Wow", is the word I'd pick if I had to choose just one to describe this.

It's rich, dark, complex, masculine, redolent of classiness and intrigue. The opening is beautifully smooth and Oud Wood soon develops a slightly sweet, warm middle age like a hug in an autumn forest. Funnily enough I don't get much in the way of oud from this; it's present but subtle, in a similar way to Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Oud. I sense more of the creaminess of the tonka bean and the fresh-cut sandalwood than the oud, but everything's so harmonious, yet maintaining complexity, that you don't really miss the oud, and there's none of the skankiness that you get with some ouds.

This is now by far my favourite fragrance ever. It works perfectly on my skin and suits my style perfectly. Longevity I'm finding good, sillage perfect (not so strong that it knocks people out, but enough to attract compliments). Price is certainly high, but a little goes a long way. Tom Ford Oud Wood is an absolute knockout!

Pros: Exquisite, complex scent
    Cons: None that I can think of"

18 September, 2013

N504jb's avatar

Oud: Inside the numbers

I'm always interested in a breakdown of the numbers (ratings) for a fragrance and generally start with the "one-star" reviews--which are basically, in my opinion, difficult to comprehend. The most-common complaints are longevity and price which are objective and the perception a scent has for the person wearing it, which is subjective, since scents directly influence the libric system which does not process the same sensory input in each of us in an identical way.

As to complaints about price, disastifaction with the scent and it's properties, do the people who skewer a scent after feeling ripped off ever consider going on e-bay or amazon and getting a sample for $10-$20 before shelling out $200 or more--or do they just blind buy or purchase based on how a scent comes across on a scent strip? If so, don't blame Tom Ford. Common sense would have spared you your sense of victimization.

Another thing about price. I fly Gulfstream 550's which have an hourly operating cost of $7,500 an hour.

I've flown people to the Caribbean, Europe--Japan. None has ever complained about the price or what they get for their money. We serve fine wine but not finest; excellent food but not four-star Michelin cuisine, and have excellent in-flight service managers but they don't give massages. My point: the only people who complain about price are people who can't really afford somethig or feel (subjectively) they should get more ofr their money.

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, scent is in the olfactory receptors of the wearer. And it's farcical for me to say a fragrance is unconditionally wretched or overpriced because that's my perception.

I could care less about what's in a scent. It either appeals to me or it doesn't; I can afford it or I can't. That means little to anyone else, nor should it.

Pros: It's basically a sleeper in the TF line and a novel scent experience for many
    Cons: To me, dry down seems similar to Tobacco Vanilla and Noir Du Noir"

19 July, 2013

Taskphorce01's avatar

Sweet Oud

I just received my 1.7 oz bottle of Tom Ford Oud Wood today in the mail and I am impressed and excited. I'm fairly new to oud fragrances but I'm curious and will be purchasing Creed Royal Oud and M7 by Yves Saint Laurent soon. As a fragrance connoisseur, I am always relentlessly researching and pursuing fragrances in hope of finding one that I'm intrigued by. Tom Ford Oud Wood ranks currently in my top three niche fragrances. I sprayed it on before work and immediately felt compelled to get on Fragrantica and review this fragrance. In my opinion, the notes smell of exotic spice and wood, some hint of leather, light incense and vanilla, and the projection is powerful and masculine although it is versatile and understandably, it can be worn by a female. After about an hour, the sillage began to settle however the scent is still rather pungent and continuing to radiate off of me. I am kind of trigger happy with the sprayer and perhaps I went overboard with it today but I'm delighted that almost three hours into wearing it, this fragrance is holding its weight. Even though it is recommended for fall/winter, one could successfully pull this off in warmer weather only because it isn't loud, overbearing, or offensive....Overall, I'm beyond pleased and I highly recommend this to any connoisseur's collection.

UPDATE:
    My 8 hour shift is almost over and Oud Wood is still projecting off of me like a BEAST!!! This is a keeper...Very rich intoxicating dry down that hasn't altered much...in fact I really enjoy both, the initial application and the drydown...This has "elegance" and "class" written all over it!

Pros: Long lasting
    Cons: Cost is a little high."

14 July, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Another Oud

The predominant wood note is nice, with some sandal impression but nowhere of very high quality. The Oud is not particularly good either and clearly synthetic, but a nice touch of cardamom makes it a bit more interesting. Overall a nice fragrance, but nothing special. Of note is the respectable projection and the decent longevity of three hours.

Pros: Overall a nice wood scent
    Cons: Not very exciting

31st May, 2013

jtd's avatar

within normal limits

Oud tends to be the gorilla in the room in a fragrance that uses it as the principle note. Oud being both potent and distinctive, the challenge is how to make an oud-centric perfume fundamentally different than any other. This isn’t only Tom Ford’s challenge. Oud is the It-Girl still, and here lies the other problem. The oud trend has been going on for long enough that its moment is getting a little long in the tooth. The smart niche companies that were touting oud for the past 4-5 years are moving on, but the high end designer lines (Dior,Versace, Armani) and the niche lines that don’t see themselves as niche lines but (trumpets...) Houses (Killian, Kurkdjian) missed the memo. My point is not at all that the perfumes are bad, but that seeing the trend as a function of marketing, the glass house of exclusivity and taste is looking a little fragile. All the $200-$500 exclusive ouds are competing with each other, but they’re also competing with much less expensive, well-made oud perfumes also available. Exclusivity is a fiction that style-merchants are constantly busting their asses to maintain, and the market is famously fickle. My bet is that the oud star is falling.

An large part of the above scenario is price. Rare Vietnamese oud, ancient Cambodian treasured oud... You’ve never heard anyone refer to rare ethylmaltol, and for good reason. Where is all this oud coming from? Oud isn’t quite ambergris, whose formation is measured in decades to centuries, but you don’t plant it one season and harvest it the next. As with every other quality of smell that we refer to in perfume, oud, the note, and oud, the material are not the same thing. A product that is much more expensive than its direct competitors (a $400 by Killian perfume v. a $100 Parfumerie Generale perfume) require a certain justification, and whether the company is Chanel or Whole Foods, the rare sourcing of botanical components is the contemporary grail of sophistication among the consumer. Ivory, gems, elephant skin, milk fed veal. The exclusivity of Empire has given way to exclusivity AND ethics. ‘Please don’t spill your acai martini on my ipe wood floor and cause a stain. Though it’s sustainably grown, I’ve spent years monitoring the webcast of the organic, high altitude farm where I commissioned its growth. Don’t put me through THAT again.'

And here we have oud. All the sophistication of ambergris, none of the ethical indecision. We’re perfect prey for the oud-mongers.

Tom Ford’s Oud Wood starts out much like many other eponymous oud perfumes I’ve smelled, but from the very outset has a quality of softened edges and rounded tones. [ Caveat: I don’t have much of a nose or mind for dissecting the notes in oud, although I’ve smelled many oud perfumes. I’ve even had the opportunity, thanks to a friend sharing his stash, of doing a comparison sniffing of a number of quality pieces of Vietnamese and Cambodian oud wood whose very specific provenances were know by the person who collected them. I tend to take oud in as a whole. It’s a lovely, sensual experience. But in my case it also means I’m not much of an analyst.]

This is a perfume that makes me question the difference between modulating something very particular and strong (oud), and going mainstream. At all points in Oud Wood’s progression it reads as within normal limits, a nursing expression used to describe a quantity not low and not high. Within normal limits: is that the goal? If so, it’s achieved. This fragrance would appeal to a large population, perfume fans and otherwise. Normally I would deride a goal of normalcy-above-all-else, but Oud Wood is wonderfully constructed, and despite the oud name, is a principally woody fragrance that modulates sweetness, smokiness, firmness and softness. It’s blended but specific, and smells like an imagined wood in the way that an abstract floral fragrance like Heeley’s Ophelia or the classic Patou Joy suggests an idealized flower.

Does Oud Wood have all the brutal smokiness, bitterness, and slap-in-the-face often associated with oud? No, but find this modulated quality refreshing given the ‘my oud’s bigger than your oud’ competitiveness that characterized some oud fragrances released around the time of Oud Wood (2007). The most appealing use of oud in a perfume is to make it a note among many (ie. Guerlain Habit Rouge edp). Perfumer Richard Herpin pushes oud more to the center of the stage than this, but applies moderation deliberately to the composition and gives us the subtle but forthright Oud Wood.

from scenthurdle

24 May, 2013

ryangiggs's avatar

I am not sure why did people make negative ratings for this great one. To me it's the best from Tom Ford Private Blend Collection. I rather couldn't stand the smell of Tobacco Vanille. Wearing Oud Wood makes me feel walking through an unknown peaceful orchard. Such a great smell. I wear it specially when I am upset. I spent more than $200 to buy it and it was worthy spending my money. Now planning to get rid of my Tobacco Vanille. Oud Wood is now my signature perfume. I would be more fascinated if this stay a bit longer on my skin. Such a great product from Tom Ford

08 May, 2013

rogalal's avatar

I really like this one. It's got a wonderful mix of smoky wood smells that reminds me of both a dark redwood forest and that great smell you get when a house down the road is burning a fire and you can smell the smoke from their chimney. As for the oud, it's mostly just a sweet rubber smell that mixes with the smoky woods. Given time, it really opens up, as a fantastic mace note - the pie spice, not the weapon :) - comes in and gives the whole mix a lot more depth.

Much has been said comparing Oud Wood to M7, but I think it owes a larger debt of gratitude to Fahrenheit, with its mix of smoky woods, rubber, and mace, but there are also elements of GPH in here, specifically that Tom Ford signature that's sort of like tea and sort of like pipe tobacco, with that mace/vanilla undertone that also implies coffee.

Honestly, it took a while for Oud Wood to really impress me. I wrote it off early as fine but nothing special, but smelling it on a walk outside on a really cold night changed everything, with the sweet tobacco/tea effects in the sillage combining with the smoky rubbery woods. 5 stars from me now.

17 January, 2013

Yankee Al's avatar

Very nice, lasts a long time even while doing strenuous work!!

12 January, 2013

charger's avatar

I was not quite sure what to expect with this one, especially after reading what oud or agar wood actually is. Hmm, the response from the tree producing more resin to fight off a fungus? Sounds like it will smell fantastic!

Really though this is a very masculine, moody, dark scent. Unisex? I don't think so, but I am sure there are some confident ladies who could pull it off nicely.

The first scents I get are woods, spice, incense, vetiver. I also pick up some smoky earth as well. There is a slightly plastic or astringent smell at first as well. It's not offensive but smells a little odd, but it quickly goes away and settles into a really nice scent.

I will have to stick to the little decant I got for now, but I'd love to grab a bottle of this down the road.

19 November, 2012

brcalifornia7's avatar

This fragrance is probably the sexiest scent I have ever smelt. At first after purchasing a sample I was not super crazy about this. The more I tested it, it seemed to get drastically better so I bought a 1.7oz. bottle. Oud Wood is worth the price, you can smell the quality of the ingredients. The fragrance calms me and puts me at peace. I have never smelled any thing like this before, and the funny thing is that I keep returning to the bottle just to sniff it.

11th November, 2012

psychoskip's avatar

Oh goodness gracious. Such a deep, sweet wood, any better would be illegal. The dry down is what made it worth it. I was sniffing my wrist every five minutes. The woody scent doesn't come until after it has been applied, but it is such a respectable fragrance, I think it should be a staple for any wardrobe.

17 October, 2012

gustercc's avatar

This was a blind buy and boy, it did not disappoint. I feel like a man's man, five o'clock shadow, driving glove, Persol wearing, chick magnet. I'm behind the wheel of my Maerati with a Betty around one arm and a one-way mission to hell to rescue a stolen Arabian princess. This is like Ernest Hemingway and Lawrence of Arabia had a baby scent.

25 August, 2012

impdaddee's avatar

Strange, that after avoiding virtually all skin-scents for over twenty years (save for the tiniest dabs of baker's vanilla extract), I should choose Tom Ford Private Blend Oud Wood to reacquaint myself with the fragrance world, especially on a hot, humid summer's day! I wanted something sensual, complex, warm, masculine, maybe even dark and mystical, but with a "huggable", sweet heart. Various reviews led me to Oud Wood. I was not disappointed, I was overwhelmed.

My first experience at a fragrance counter in two decades was slightly intimidating, but Madame Sales Assistant took me seriously after I tossed out a few key words and offered me a spritz of the Oud Wood. SPRITZ!!! up the inside of my forearm, and another SPRITZ!!! down the same. "Whoa lady!" I thought, retaining the extreme caution (revulsion?) regarding over-application I had developed during the almost nightmarish days of Ralph Lauren's original Polo...then it hit.

The first half-minute reminded me of the resinous edge Polo had, but was more familiar to me from my own kitchen. Mapo tofu requires powdered Szechuan pepper, a source of numbing-heat. The initial blast was nearly identical to the piney-resin scent released from the spice grinder after grinding a batch of hua-jiao. It was like a trumpet blast waking my nose from slumber, blaring, “YOU JUST PUT PERFUME ON!! YOU REALIZE THAT, DON'T YOU?!”. The penetrating sharpness seemed to clear the olfactory stage, providing not only an expectant space for what came next, but also a contrast for the following woodsy, spicy sweetnesses.

Hot on the heels of the Szechuan pepper, saffron blazed sharp, strong, and quick, with—as in many Indian desserts—a yummy cardamon backdrop. The slightly medicinal saffron soon departed, leaving me craving more, yet thankful that it was over.

The oud which followed did not overpower—it was almost well-behaved, “almost” because it was shameless, brazenly seducing me with its light faecal-animal sweetness. Now, there are ouds, ouds, and more ouds, some yummy like fruit and flowers and licorice, some medicinal, others woody, mystical, or even rutty. This was rutty oud, not too dark (likely artificial), and soon evened out, receding to let the sweeter woods—sandalwood and rosewood, and vanilla to continue the seduction.

I simply could not stop sniffing at my forearm, shamelessly and brazenly.

The dry-out was relatively uneventful, with a gradual fading of spiced woods to sweet amber over the next few hours. The amber lingered on well into the next day, but was detectable only close to my skin.

A couple of tries over the next few days amounted to much the same, although lower temperatures and decreased humidity increased its longevity. Thankfully, I didn't fill entire rooms with Oud Wood gas, but those entering my personal space certainly noticed it with pleasure.

On me it is like “sex in a bottle” (as some others have also commented), but there is nothing tame about the erotic jinn that is released from this little brown bottle. Wearing it is like an initiation into a rutty world of ancient sexual practices by a smiling Lebanese bodybuilder, who appears dressed up in a black tuxedo, shirt undone to the sternum (ooo, look, a hairy chest!), three days dark scruff on his rivetingly handsome face, and thick gold chains swinging to the rhythm of his too-confident strut. But, despite all his attempts at worldly sophistication, he still needs to pay the bills by plying the world's oldest profession. Gosh, who am I to curl my lip and say no? The effortless masculinity of his presence overwhelms all objections, and I reach down and, trembling with desire, hand over a wad of cash. Am I his for the night, or is he mine?

For me, a one trick pony, but that's just fine.

Of course, mileage varies. On my husband it's all sweetness and purity, like a drawer of freshly laundered underwear. (Good. I wouldn't let him out of the house if it smelled on him like it does on me.)

12 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2012)

CaliDude's avatar

This is my favorite Oud scent, and one of my favorite from the Tom Ford Private Blend line. A very classy & sophisticated scent.

Not sure where all the hate is coming from. If you've smelled M7, this is basically a clone of that but more powerful. Consider this to be M7 Extreme.

23 June, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)

missylee's avatar

I love this juice. Rich, warm and heavy. As a women, perhaps a little too masculine on it's own, so I've layered it with SL Daim Blond. This combo is my 'special occasion' scent and it's hard to resist applying more regularly.

Oud Wood is deep, dark, smokey and sexy. I find the soft sweetness of Daim Blond adds a different dimension and is easier to wear that way. On its own I feel a little too 'naughty' - when layered, good girl with a 'naughty secret'.

19 May, 2012

OverLord's avatar

Definetely one of my fav fragrance available on the market.
    Very intense and sexy, better to be used in fall-winter or to party late night.
    Nobody I met from Milan to Paris to London has been indifferent to its notes.

05 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2012)

DanWano's avatar

At first you know its Tom Ford fragrance, you smell a high quality fragrance, well blend, very sexy. It's start like Grey Vetiver, very dry, then you'll get some vanilla to bring some sweetness and after slowly but surely you get a really nice amber coming. The best dry down amber i ever smelled.

09 March, 2012

Lobster2010's avatar

England England

When people think "Tom Ford Private Blend", they often picture the price tag first and desperately try and find substitutes, to be honest most us do including me, in order to nullify the desire to purchase one of his PB scents.

On the other hand, let us appreciate independently and carefully what we smell.

Oud Wood is no gimmick. It is a careful fusion of oud with what people in the west can tolerate in terms of smell level and intensity.

It is a mildly sweet scent with a heavier woody undertone. Somewhat unisex but perhaps better for men who desire something a little different from mainstream.

It has a friendly projection and on me lasts at least a full day at good capacity. I only need two sprays to accomplish this.

I can see why people smell M7, but that is a combination of having Tom Ford inspiring both but also because we want Oud Wood to have a cheaper uncle.

Personally, I truly appreciate the power of Oud Wood. It is unique in my collection and I can count on it a 100%. This is by far one of the safer niche buys in the PB range.

07 January, 2012

Darvant's avatar

A lighter combination of rose and oud that is not so obscure, chocolatey or claustrophobic as the one in Noir the Noir despite being Oud Wood a dark-woody fragrance. Here you can inhale a sort of spicy and smokey woody scent that is averagely dry and mild and not resinous or caramellous. There are some barely perceivable citrus in composition.  The addition of vanilla is moderate in order to balance the medicinal effect of resin. The aoud is subdued and the starring role is played by rosewood and sandalwood. The final outcome is a bit gassy/rubbery and smoky with a decidedly masculine temperament created by the earthy  link of vetiver, amber and tonka. Some musk closes the round. A very sexy and mature chypre.

18 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2012)

stefftaylor's avatar

I grew up in the middle east, so oud is a very familiar scent to me. However, the "authentic" versions smell extremely dirty to me. Tom Ford's however, is a clean and wood, a bit sharp and mellow at the same time, and lasts many hours. I was once wearing it and a French friend told me I smelled like her "grandfather's cigar box....sans cigars". Most people would be offended - I was overjoyed. It's a non-perfumey comfort fragrance.

However, nothing tops Amber Absolute from that line....

31st July, 2011

pimiento's avatar

Even if I don't agree with other reviews I normally understand their gripes but the negatives for this one I really don't get. I tried this on today and find it to be one of my favorites both from the Tom Ford line and out of all oud scented fragrances.

31st July, 2011

QWERTYOP's avatar

England England

Absolutely bleeping gorgeous. I'll write a better review when I can tear myself away from sniffing this thing. Manly, rich, quality, and obviously.. woody. Gorgeous. Please God, make it last all day?

10th April, 2011

kauinca's avatar

I have forced Oud Wood on my husband and son, and have found it to be an extremely pleasant scent on both of them. It starts off a little sharp but warms up beautifully to a soft wood that sits close on the skin and is very appealing. My husband loves it, my son likes it, but found it headache inducing for the first hour or so. Unfortunately for both of them, it's highly unlikely they'll be using it once this sample is gone, as it's extremely pricey. I've yet to try Oud Wood on myself, but really like it on men. I can also imagine this would be lovely layered.

Update: Love Oud Wood on myself too! Nice layered as well. Very unisex. Beautiful fragrance - wish it wasn't so pricey.

19 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2011)

BayKAT's avatar

Dollar per mL htis is one of hte most expensive fragrances I own, so obviously something caught my attention.

It's Rosewood, which is a trill, raspy wood note that I find oddly alluring. Oud Wood is not a typical scent that I go for (that would be the dark, luscious oriental florals and chypres). But I couldn't resist this beauty.

Strangely, I don't enjoy Oud Wood in my every day setting. i only seem to like it when I'm 'on the move' or traveling. It's what i reach for when I'm flying, heading to the beach or taking a road trip. This is my favorite from the Tom Ford exclusive line, and one of the very few I felt were unisex.

28 March, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

I was intrigued by the description of Oud, and tried a sample of Kilian's Pure Oud which turned out to be a big disappointment in its band-aid chemical blast open down to smokey wood.

A week later I was sampling at Nordstrom and caught a whiff of Tom Ford's Oud Wood and instantly fell in love with it. It's a masterful creation to behold from it's silky smooth and delicious start, to its various stages drying down to a warm earthy woods.

I find some similarity in Oak mossiness with Cumming, the fragrance, but Oud Wood is dramatically more refined and luxurious.

Longevity wise, the opening begins dispersing after an hour and starts resonating into its cozy warmth and woods for the next couple of hours. I can still sense its trace 12-18 hours and ends up a distinctive skin scent.

While I am blown away by Oud Wood on its own, I also find it to be an awesome base layer that welcomes infinite possibilities for layering. This final point really makes this a stellar addition to the collection. Unique, refined, sexy, dark, warm, luxurious, and versatile.

15 March, 2010