Reviews of Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Did you ever try something that immediately disagreed with your particular body chemistry and repulsed you? I'm sorry to say that this is the case here with me. This immediately soured on my skin and I've had this "rotting celery" scent on me all day. I had the same exact reaction to Yatagan a few years back. Sorry, this one is not for me.
07th November, 2016
I’m surprised that nobody’s mentioned the fact that Oud Wood smells a lot like Dzongkha. Specifically, the oily, rubbery cardamom that adds a green, celery-seed-like note to the composition in both fragrances, setting their character dial at once to the savory (as opposed to sweet).

It’s interesting to me the way the different facets of the fragrance – the green spice of the cardamom, the smooth woods, and the oily/industrial facets – add up to a smell that is recognizably “oudy” without ever really smelling like oud when you smell it up close, on the wrist. Once you draw your head back, the disparate parts seem to coalesce into one amalgamated flow of fresh, green oily oud wood.

It smells wonderful – smooth, integrated wooden parts with a rich fleshiness or milkiness to the base. It smells impersonal, too, like a much-admired building in an award-winning industrial complex. It doesn’t have a soul, so it’s easy to make it one’s own. There is something creepy about it, and yet also mesmerizing, like that video that’s been doing the rounds lately with the papier mache, robot-controlled faces biting and licking at each other.

It strikes me easily as masculine but not in a butch way that would preclude me from wearing it. Actually, I guess it is truly genderless, or rather, sexless – as sexless as a Ken doll. I love its creepy, putty-like texture. It’s almost off-puttingly smooth.

My husband liked this sample. It smells expensive and luxurious, he noted. I should mention that my husband loves pure oud oil, and because I test a lot of it, he is familiar with many different oud profiles and has come to love the fiercely animalic ones.

These are his comments: “I really like this. But that’s not oud. It is very safe-smelling. I would recommend it to people who wear suits. Real oud oil smells crazy, wild. It doesn’t have limits. This fragrance does have limits. I suppose that’s what makes it perfect for the workplace.”
26th September, 2016
Stardate 20160918:

One of the better ones of the Private Blend Line.
A nice synthetic oud along the lines of Montale/Mancera. But much better blended than Montales.
I like the Rosewood note and the whole thing just works.
Now I doubt there is any pure oud or SW in this but the synthetics are nicely done.
A pretty linear scent (but then linearity is the hallmark of this line) that you should try.

This one, like the other TF, is not worth the full retail and decant should be the way to go

19th September, 2016

For me, Oud Wood is the most 'tame' and unimposing scent from Tom Ford.

From the moment I sprayed it on at the shop, I could not stop pressing my forearms lightly against my nose to enjoy off the the various notes. I could not get it out of my head until I bought the bottle a few days later.

Of all Tom Ford scents I have, this would definitely be my favorite, and will purchase again. It is also the one that seems to be getting much lower than the other TF I have :)
16th September, 2016
Neutered Oud. Unisex, all age and season with TF Private Blend quality. For the man/woman that demands quality, but not attention. Pleasant and easy to wear. Does everything well, but does nothing remarkable. It is distinctive, yet forgettable at the same time. Sillage and projection are soft. Longevity average.
Creed's Royal Oud is a better version of the tamed Oud. Redundant if you own both. Note breakdown is accurate, but think muted volume.
16th September, 2016
Surely this offering was created with the purpose of drawing the non-gender-specific fantasy babe of one’s imaginings to purr and nuzzle one’s neck. It is so steeped in signifiers of ‘quality’ mainstream masculines, it verges on cliché. So it is woody and spicy but done in a triple-milled and fresh got-my-crisp-white-shirt-on style; it has a glug of the sweets to appease the bruised child syndrome; and it is so super balanced it refuses to show the slightest wobble.
The ghost of M7 hangs around this one for me, especially with the orangey spice of the former getting an echo here – but Oud Wood is thinner and over-refined. Smells fantastic on a smelling strip, but somewhat lacklustre on skin after the opening minutes.
A kind of wallpaper scent – well-proportioned and with judiciously placed colours, but ultimately a bit too orderly to excite. The later stages, when it becomes even fresher and airier with a plump, almost fruity aspect are more rewarding, except that now the projection takes a dive.
25th August, 2016
Flat and lifeless, I don't get oud at all...doesn't last. I get tonka and pepper, and that is it.
05th July, 2016
I'm giving it a thumbs up but it's true what others have said - compared with Tuscan Leather or Tobacco Vanille, this one doesn't have much projection or longevity. I find I have to double the dose. Still very pleasant though - a good mid-season scent to my mind.
03rd March, 2016
Starts with a screechy "Comet" opening, develops into an interesting dance synthetic play around woods and drys down to an ordinary tonka, amber, vanilla base. A novelty fragrance, ultimately boring to this nose.
29th February, 2016 (last edited: 22nd June, 2016)

Lots of wood right from the start: rosewood and the oud has already moved into the opening… A tamed oud – all the animalism has been eliminated. I don’t get the pepper but the cool underlayment of cardamom provides an appropriate depth to the woods. The rosewood provides an excellent alto level wood tone while the sandalwood provides a solid bass to the cool oud and cardamom. The whole accord quite pleasing. I don’t think I would ever get tired this but I already know that I’ll never get a chance to test that theory: There is not much sillage off it, and it seems to be fading too quickly…

After a half hour of pure enjoyment, I have to wonder what happened to this pleasant, civilized accord. It could be nose fatigue, but I doubt it – it doesn’t come back even if I back off for fifteen minutes. But this doesn’t surprise me, though. Several of these pure deep, dark wood accords I’ve tested have had disappointing longevity.

This is a very nice fragrance for as long as it lasts. As a soft skin scent it lasts two or three hours after the sillage has weakened – its performance leaves much to be desired. And then there’s the thing about the futility of paying for a premium oud fragrance and getting only a short taste of a denatured version of it...
17th February, 2016
Smells like a finnish sauna to me.

Undeniably high quality juice, but it lacks depth and character.
23rd December, 2015
Thoughts, July 2015

Comet and latex. I guess the story Tom Ford is telling with Oud Wood is of a house that's in the midst of spring cleaning,a fresh coat of paint and new custom built wood bookshelves. Perhaps it's a high end restoration and flip? It definitely does have a 'construction materials' theme happening.

Very Flipping Vegas!

Thoughts, December 2015

Oud Wood is no less Comet-like now than I remember it. Definite cleaning supply/house restoration vibe with Comet and wood. It's futuristic and wants no ties to Z-14 or Old Spice. "I'm a different kind of stink" it says with it's scent. Strange yet shockingly familiar as the things surrounding you everyday. This is no small feat. It seems to be begging the question: Is it art? There is something strangely appealing about it tonight, though.

Thumb's up, but only the tiniest bit up from neutral, mainly because it's "New House Smell" in a bottle and Tom Ford was inovative enough to make it, knowing it would unconsciously appeal to many.

17th December, 2015
Sharper in its opening, smoother in its dry down, Tom Ford's Oud Wood provides mostly wood, and only a little oud, and is mainly a refined cold weather scent that is regarded as one of the men's mainstays of the private blend line, and I generally agree. Oud Wood is masculine, smooth, and relatively safe creation from the private blend line, which is generally somewhat more daring. This is more of a crowd-pleaser, however, despite some notes that pile on the earthiness, like vetiver. I don't get much spiciness (i.e. cardamom, pepper) or sweetness (i.e. amber, tonka, vanilla) as the notes would suggest. For me, Oud Wood rests wholly in the woody realm with rosewood and sandalwood, with the oud as a subservient note that doesn't harshen the experience very much.

Relatively strong on projection and longevity, but not a powerhouse like Tobacco Vanille or Noir de Noir, it certainly has enough potency to justify spending they money if you like the scent.

I do not regard this as one of the greater entries in the private blend line, as many do--it doesn't sit well enough on my skin, personally, though I can understand how this could be a men's signature winter scent. Worth trying, as you may love it as many do, but not terribly unique in my opinion.

7 out of 10
15th December, 2015

Love the initial spray. Didn't seem to project well on my skin. I actually liked OW better when layered with Noir De Noir. This is coming from a person who isn't into layering. One morning I sprayed this on and it seemed like it needed something else. NDN was the answer. They both seem to compliment each other when worn.
23rd October, 2015
I have changed my mind about this one. I dismissed it initially after getting a strong plastic/rubbery vibe from the opening. Upon second try I no longer get this. Just a beautiful, light, woody, slightly spicy scent.

Lasts for a decent amount of time, but becomes a soft skin scent after a few hours. Great high class scent for work.
10th October, 2015 (last edited: 03rd December, 2015)
Like most TF fragrances, the sum of the parts equal a linear almost one note jus.

My first impression was Brillo pads (Google is your friend). And I thought why would I want to smell like scouring powder and steel wool? Then your nose picks up the nuances and then you can't get enough of it.

Nasal fatigue comes quick so for those who think this has longevity and projection issues, be rest assured others can smell it on you. I spray liberally.
30th June, 2015
I love this one. The intense woods bind together with the cardamom, tonka and vanilla(and benzoin?) to a round and persistant chord from the beginning all the way through the drydown.
The oud, peppers and the fleeing top notes(i can't really put my finger on what it is) provide some energy and variation, but it's the linear quality of that main chord that keeps me returning to this reliable fragrance.
13th April, 2015
My first time wearing any type of oud, and I am extremely impressed and satisfied.

This is a very masculine scent, very clean up front but with a warmth to it that smells earthy and refined. I don't smell smokiness in it, per se, but maybe the smell of charred wood that's become wet by rain. Earl grey tea/bergamot notes as well, which i quite enjoy. Simply put; dry, clean and manly.

Longevity is good. The scent, for me, seems consistently the same from the time you spray it on until well after dry down. Sillage seems fairly low to me; the lovely aroma stays right with you. (Tobacco Vanille seems much the same, people could smell it up-close but not so much from a distance.)

Great scent. I'm glad I tried it. 9/10 for me.
19th March, 2015
Excellent stuff, though I did not like it on initial application, seemed another boring woody / Oudy composition but after a few wearings it becomes the most favourite TomFord replacing TF Extreme.

Dont Know about others but I do get a similar vibe with Amouage Dia in the far drydown. Lovely blending and quality material probably from Givaudan.

To all those(like me) who dont like Oud in its full , I would recommend to give it a try.
29th January, 2015
Oud Wood is more about woods than oud; it opens with a balsamic, somehow cold and almost “piney” blast of aromatic wood, supported by a quite realistic almondy tonka note, vanilla and just a shade of oud. The wood here is really invigorating, fresh, much aromatic too, in a way I almost never smelled it before. Plus, the texture is really peculiar in my opinion: Oud Wood is not as much sweet or “rich” as it may seem, on the contrary it appears to be really sharp, clean, thin, “woody” in a realistic, but slightly “industrial” meaning, if that makes sense (think of Ikea furniture). The name as I said is a bit misleading to me, as the oud is far less detectable than the wood; and also it has the same features of the oud in M7, which means it’s not the usual dark-rubbery-smoked and “animalic” note we’re used to, but here is rather more oily, nutty, slightly medicinal, and more “bright” than you may imagine. It is a bit smoky, but in a far more gentle way than usual. Overall Oud Wood is a really pleasant, versatile, masculine and easy going scent: it is classy, but at the same time “generic” enough to be safe for anyone in any situation. Actually perhaps one of the most generic and less creative among the Private Blend line for what I’ve tested so far – I don’t mean to say that with a negative connotation. Finally, I must agree with what several other reviewers stated: it is quite close to skin and the longevity on skin is really unacceptable for the price, while on clothes it lasts longer and projects quite well. A nice fresh and refined Oriental woody scent unworthy the cost in my opinion, but a nice one I’d keep and use if someone gave it to me as a gift.

6,5-7/10
10th January, 2015
This smells good, but it's too light. It becomes a skin scent with no projection too quickly for me, but for someone who wants something light, this one smells good.
25th December, 2014
Does Tom Ford really need to tell us that Oud is "Wood"? Not really but it was 2007 and Oud was not yet a household name like it is today. Tommy was early to the Oud band-wagon as now everybody and their brother (Ferrari anyone?) has an Oud fragrance. Synthetic oud oil must be getting cheap these days.

That said, is Oud Wood any good? Yes, it is quite nice but not compelling, especially at $215/50ml. The opening is a strident cardamon accord that comes across as almost fruity. I can't really detect detect much else at this point save for the approaching oud. Of course, the cardamon fades into the subtle oud (yes, it's soft and supple). The oud is warm and not animalic at all like other ouds I have smelled. Tommy really rounded off the raw edges of the oud with a touch of sweetness from a bit of amber and tonka. The base lasts forever and smells quite distinctive and suave. Not very complex but I'm more than impressed with the quality of it all (a few sprays last all day).

Would I pay retail for this? No, but if it's discounted then I'm game. Other than that, I'll stick with Montale's take on oud as they're just as good and much cheaper.

19th September, 2014
jumpfrog Show all reviews
I wanted to like this fragrance so badly. Having been an avid wearer of M7 for so long now, I thought I would check out what Tom Ford came up with again. First of all - where is the oud?? Where is the wood?? It just doesn't come through enough for me. This fragrance lacks the oomph I expected. It is too sweet, too timid, too tame and too apologetic. Sillage is poor. Longevity is very poor. Overall, it just lacks the complexity and backbone I was hoping for.
03rd August, 2014 (last edited: 06th August, 2014)
I have the 12ml bottle from the 5 pack sampler and this scent is amazinggg. Wood, spice, oud, vanilla. This has everything any man should wear. It is real good on its on but with the other private blends (love the sampler) layered over it is on of the best smells there is. The only reason I do not own more is I need the 100ml bottle and I need at least tobacco vanille or Tuscan leather 100ml. Either of those combos, or all three, is like whoa... I feel like my own perfumer ever time I finish. Some synthetic components but I just love this scent.

So yea. This is a crucial piece of the puzzle and a very expensive one, at least in my opinion. This scent is a must for my collection, eventually....
20th March, 2014
My overwhelming reaction to this was 'soapy.' There is oud, or some simulacrum thereof; there's a bit of sandalwood, a bit of cedar, and... soap. A quite conventional, masculine concoction. Ennui instead of amazement. It should be said, though, that on a day of sampling that had me wearing some quite unbelievably expensive scents, this was the one that everyone else liked best. Which says something, I suppose...
16th March, 2014
Many fragrances seem to reference this when describing their "oud variety." Cheap middle eastern oils try to mimic this smell. Fine, so it defines a category in the multi-faceted spectrum of Oud. Funny thing... most of those other fragrances are superior, last 10x longer, and sell at half the price.

This is certainly a comfortable, unoffensive, dark and woody oud (with no animalic or barnyard qualities) for the 15 minutes of its life span. It reminds me of the sandlewoody base of Memoir man or the synthetic warmth (and remarkably un-band-aid-y quality) of Dark Aoud by Montale. Safe, for sure, but I would need to wear 20ml a day to remember that I was wearing this at all by high noon.

Yawn.
13th February, 2014
great on its own, and even better when mixed with other fragrances from the private blend line, I would not want to do without this in my collection.
24th December, 2013
This is a great and classy masculine fragrance and I like it so much.
The opening is a really rich and bold, but at the same time non aggressive combination of oud, brazilian rosewood, some spices and a little bit of sweetness.
The oud note smell really good, oily and quality.
There is brazilian rosewood as well that give the scent a sharp and semi fresh woody feeling.
There are some spices and some sweetness from amber but they are mostly in the background.
Something that I really love about the scent is the balance of the notes. just masterfully done by Tom Ford.
In the mid and base I can smell a beautiful creamy sandalwood mixed with some oud and rosewood.
Longevity is great and projection is good.
It's not something very unique and different but amazing quality and great balance of the notes is the reason why you're paying this price.
23rd December, 2013
I really like this juice. It stood out from an "oud notes" sampler pack and I kept coming back to it, now I am applying it regularly. I have purchased a decant now and will likely work my way up to a full bottle. I may experiment with spiking this with oud oil as well.

It works good on my skin. It's a little powdery/astringent on the opening, but I keep picking up great notes of amber, tonka?, vanilla?, spicy earthy oils, etc as it wears on. Longevity isn't huge, but the drydown is great and that to me is what's important.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a sample for anyone that is interested in the published scent notes of this fragrance.
05th December, 2013
Terrific - Tom Ford's masterpiece

I bought this in Saks Fifth Avenue in Santa Barbara, CA, having tried it at the airport on my way over from Europe on a business trip. "Wow", is the word I'd pick if I had to choose just one to describe this.

It's rich, dark, complex, masculine, redolent of classiness and intrigue. The opening is beautifully smooth and Oud Wood soon develops a slightly sweet, warm middle age like a hug in an autumn forest. Funnily enough I don't get much in the way of oud from this; it's present but subtle, in a similar way to Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Oud. I sense more of the creaminess of the tonka bean and the fresh-cut sandalwood than the oud, but everything's so harmonious, yet maintaining complexity, that you don't really miss the oud, and there's none of the skankiness that you get with some ouds.

This is now by far my favourite fragrance ever. It works perfectly on my skin and suits my style perfectly. Longevity I'm finding good, sillage perfect (not so strong that it knocks people out, but enough to attract compliments). Price is certainly high, but a little goes a long way. Tom Ford Oud Wood is an absolute knockout!

Pros: Exquisite, complex scent
Cons: None that I can think of"

18th September, 2013