Negative Reviews of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Larr7 Show all reviews
Probably The Most Overrated Fragrances I Have Ever Had! Just got my bottle of TV from Bergdorf Goodman's, along with Roja Dove and By Killian's. I Have Many Creeds, By Kilian's, Krigler, Clive Christian and Roja Dove. Tom Ford and The Clive Christian 1872 Are By Far The Worst Scents I Have Purchased in the Last 8-10 Years. However, TV does project very well and lasts a very long time. On the other hand, I just received my First Roja Dove, Sweetie Aoud, One of The Best Scents I Ever Smelled, but doesn't last very long!! Don't know if there is a Perfect Scent, but Roja Dove Is Pretty Close!!!!!
26th September, 2015
starts with an incredible tobacco scent then goes horribly sweet ends up vanilla

This is one of the most wonderfully opening masculine scents in my opinion ! so intense , very clear tobacco. i almost rush to buy the bottle but as i tested it the vanilla became stronger until it was so cloying i actually felt nauseous. Its so sad that the vanilla is just too over powering and horrible horribly sweet in my opinion. It projects well with great silage but honestly it ends up smelling of artificial vanilla custard powder. if this was reformulated to be less of a sledgehammer it would be a masterpiece

Pros: incredible opening of tobacco
Cons: really really horrible after about 2 hours. "

12th September, 2013
I don't get this scent. I almost feel sick when I smell this. Tried to give it away, but no one seemed to like it.
15th March, 2013

Where do I start with this? First let me say that I'm a big fan of Tom Ford fragrances and I'd been looking forward to trying this for a while. Well yesterday I found myself in Harvey Nichols in Leeds and so I gave it a go.

I'll leave it up to those with much more experience to describe exactly what notes are detectable and how they develop, but what I will say is that I found it awful to the point of being offensive. My girlfriend agreed and even made me get straight in the shower to scrub it off when we got home!

I'm just starting out trying new fragrances whilst I build my collection and I understand that Tom Ford can be a little 'out there' with his private blends. That said, I can't ever imagine it to be socially acceptable to smell like this. I've read the positive reviews with interest and am surprised to see that there's a lot of love for this on here so I guess it's a case of love it or hate it, but I will advise people to try this one before you buy!
20th May, 2012
Sampled this fragrance now several times, and this is what I'm ending up with.

The first 30 minutes to one hour is great. Why? The tobacco-part dominates, keeping the absurd amount of vanilla at bay, displaying at least a whisper of masculinity and presence.

After that, it all goes horribly wrong for me. I'm treated to an explosion of vanilla, and it just doesn't want to quit it's extreme vanilla-game. It's overtly sweet, and I just can't deal with it, and find it extremely feminine.

I've also received numerous feedbacks on the fact that I smell less than masculine. Could it be a cultural thing? Yes, I suppose. It could also just be the fact that sweet vanilla just isn't very masculine, at least not for me.

I'm giving it a thumbs down because of the absurd price, and the fact that it way too quickly morphs into the vanilla monster from your sugary dreams. Even though, it's very well put together, and the longevity and projection is EXTREME!

If you really LOVE vanilla, go for this and never look back. If you, like me, came looking for tobacco, continue your search.
14th April, 2012
I smell like I was dipped in honey. Way too sweet for me.
12th March, 2012
Probably the most nauseating perfume experience I've had since Serge Lutens' Miel de Bois. The opening was very delicious and boozy vanilla, very nice actually, but soon morphed into such a nauseatingly sweet scent that I actually became sick to my stomach. After two hours, I still didn't sense much tobacco to calm down the vanilla, and in the end reached for the baby wipes to scrub this one off.

Thumbs way down. Another BN hype monster.
12th February, 2011
Dummy-gummy, this hurts my tummy. It is very vanilla-centric from the outset. A sugar cookie with a few spices. So incredibly sweet that it is toothache-inducing. I detect a bright, almost metallic note, like ginger ale in a tin cup. Also there are hints of cocoa. I get a bit of tobacco, in a humidor style. This is so sweet, I can’t say that it is very sophisticated. Much more a gourmand scent than a tobacco scent.
07th December, 2010
HDS1963 Show all reviews
I'd read the reviews of this and had anticipated it greatly.

I can honestly say this is awful and I don't know what the fuss is about. I absolutely love tobacco based fragrances and own a fair few. But dear God, all you get is an overpowering tobacco and a dreadful amped up vanilla that is sooo sweet it rots your teeth.

After half an hour I had to wash it off, it was turning my stomach.

I could live a lifetime and happily never smell this again. In fact, I just might.

07th December, 2010
Missy Show all reviews
I was looking forward to trying this and had high hopes. Instead I smell like my grandfather used to smell when he was alive, rest his soul. He was a pipe smoker for over 70 years and that is exactly how I smell while wearing this fragrance. The tobacco smell dominates all the other notes and for the whole day- at least for me it does.

I much prefer Guerlain's SDV to Tobacco Vanille. Of course, perfume is such a personal affair and what one individual loves another might hate so while my experience with this Tom Ford fragrance is less than positive another's might be amazing.
06th December, 2010
I've really struggled with this scent, having given it several samplings and all-day wearings to render a decision. There are times when I've been indifferent to the aroma, and others when it's really been terribly disappointing. Foremost, if your expectation is a warm tobacco aroma, it will be difficult to distinguish from the very overpowering influence of vanilla from top to base. This is not a subtle vanilla by any means, but a very cloying, confectionary vanilla that has exceptional longevity and dominates the fragrance. It is very linear, barely transforming over the course of hours, mild sillage but exceptional longevity. It would appear that the intent of the fragrance was to evoke a memory of scented pipe tobacco. Unfortunately, it evoked food to me and anyone around me who could smell it -- "cookies" was one word used to describe it, "cheap vanilla extract" another. Not what I wanted having really desired something closer to Creed Vintage Tabarome's very mellowed tobacco. There are a number of Tom Ford Private Collection fragrances that I enjoy, but this is one that I certainly wouldn't recommend both on price and its aromatic composition. This missed the mark for me.
02nd December, 2010
I am finding the Tom Ford line rather clumsy. The fragrances seem to find a favorite student in the class and look at no one else. For examle, the Oud Wood in this line is cedar heavy and too camphorous to allow the artificial oud to peek its head through. Similarly, the Tobacco Vanille is very heavy handed on typical sweet amber, which overwhelms the beautiful fruity floral nuances of true cured tobacco can have.

This fragrance does not develop into anything noteworthy other than a sweet amber vanilla confection in the middle notes and drydown, with maybe some tobacco drowned somewhere in the glop. I suppose a half spritz would be a great layer for a very dry wood fragrance, but why not plunk the $200 down on something created by a nose who knows what he or she is dealing with? Shame for the price and presumed snootiness that this line seems to want us to buy into.
12th July, 2009
I made a special trip into town to try and most likely buy this based on the community threads and various reviews, and was really looking forward to sampling a good vanilla & tobacco scent.

Unfortunately, I was bitterly disappointed. What I sprayed on the test strip was so sickly sweet and cloying that after 10 minutes of walking around the store and waiting it to settle, I couldn't bring myself to wait for any longer for a sign of the tobacco to appear. It was sickly sweet and yes almost alcoholic to the point of causing an upset stomach.
16th January, 2009

Nukapai Show all reviews
I wanted to find a fragrance that accurately captures the smell of dry vanilla pipe tobacco.

Unfortunately, Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille is the smell of wet, almost decomposing tobacco with a bourbon-like alcoholic vanilla note. I found it quite stomach-turning.
10th August, 2008