Neutral Reviews of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

It does what it says, the main accord is a silky cigar tobacco aroma (not real, raw, pungent tobacco leaves) blended with a round, still not sweet, vanilla accord. Smooth dynamic base of spices and dried fruits, with hints of cumin and saffron. Overall it recalls the safe coziness and the unisex elegance of those narrow flavoured cigarillos (that ironically, come always in vanilla flavour among others) which are usually bought either by ladies or young smokers who want to appear cool and "manly", but still can not yet physically stand the effort and show the self-consciousness to smoke a real cigar. And that's precisely how this scent works too: it is soft and elegant, in a really safe-for-everywhere way, but also light and toned down, with a rather plain personality, and all materials are bounded in a sort of soothing anonymity - clean and sharp as a posh shop. Not saying it is bad, just a bit boring and predictable.

6,5/10

06 April, 2014

Sybaris's avatar

The opening was cinnamon, vanilla and a pinch of cherry tobacco, then just cherry vanilla and a hint of cinnamon. Lasts a long time though

I really wanted to love this but I don't want to smell like Dr. Pepper all day

28 February, 2014

PungentPuncher's avatar

Opens like smokey vanilla extract, then settles into a sharp vanilla. It's not a bad sharp, and in a way is pleasant. But it's too simple of a start and end for me to want to buy it. I don't see the fuss!

TL;DR: Too simple of a combination for me to love. Longevity is nice, though.

09 January, 2014

Stinkpot's avatar

This is amazing when it first goes on and the tobacco is big and bold. Within an hour or two the tobacco pretty much is gone and you are left with vanilla and cedar. That stage lasts a long time. It's nice, but this is done better elsewhere I think.

26 December, 2013

smelliott's avatar

Less "Vanille" Please

A gourmand with a couple of tattoos, Tobacco Vanille begins harmoniously enough: high quality spicy tobacco with a heavy dose of sweetness underneath. The delicious tobacco fades too quickly, and one is left to decipher the muddled base for the remaining seven hours of the scent's life; there is some vanilla in there to be sure, along with some tonka, and perhaps some cocoa. These notes are poorly misused in the scent, and create a sticky confection potent enough to make the pillsbury doughboy gag.

Projection and longevity are slightly above average.

2.6 out of 5

Pros: Great opening
    Cons: The drydown is obnoxious"</p>

14 August, 2013 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2014)

Monsieur's avatar

Very surprised by the 88 positive to 12 negative reviews..
    I get 1 hour of Tobacco and 8+ hours of platics-y, ultra synthetic vanilla.
    I much prefer the creamier varities of vanilla, but that of TV smells like I melted a plastic toy made from vanilla and smeared it over my skin.
    Projection bomb on me- NO
    Longevity monster- NO, 12 hours sometimes less which is above average.
    I go 4 sprays and some rec 1.
    Is it a masterpiece or complex- NO
    I give it a 8/10

05 April, 2013

charger's avatar

I so wanted to love this, but I am not a big vanilla fan. Sure, I know it's right there in the name and all, but I was hoping for more tobacco and less vanille!

The top notes are nice with a green tobacco leaf, spice, amber and vanilla. But after about half an hour I don't smell anything but powdery vanilla. If you love vanilla, this is your scent!

19 November, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

I wanted to like it... The Top Note was nice... Tobacco was apparent. But at dry down, the Vanilla became overpowering. Smelled like a woman's cologne... a more sophisticated "Vanilla Fields" It has longevity, but I had to bury my nose in my wrist to smell the tobacco that I was looking forward to. Don't wear it in hot humid weather... but it would work at a church desert social.

29 June, 2012

silentrich's avatar

Wasn't the home run I thought it would be and glad that I didn't go ahead and blind buy a full bottle. TV is a very heavy and syrupy fragrance that combines tobacco, vanilla, and spices that gives off a sweet potpourri smell. I believe there's a honey note or accord that really puts this into the sweet tooth category. Some compare this to Back to Black which in my opinion has a superior tobacco note, better balanced, and more representative of what a tobacco lover would want. If you love extremely sweet and heavy fragrances, this one might be for you. Otherwise sample this because it's not a fragrance that is going to suit everyone's tastes.

11th April, 2012

Njtnjt's avatar

A loud scent for loud people and places. Smells like vanilla pipe tobacco. Smooth and extremely strong. The only fragrance I have ever worn that my wife could smell on me BEFORE she entered the room. She smelled it on me outside from 15 feet away on a breezy walk with our dog - 1 spray!

Extremely one dimensional, it just keeps projecting all day and all night without much change or evolution of any kind in the scent. At the 12 hour mark the one spray I had on today started to abate in strength to what I think was a tolerable level. Even then, my daughter smelled it from 10 feet away when she came home from school.

Not my cup of tea, not my idea of enchanting. More like thermonuclear war. I think it's well made for what it is - but I'll never wear it again.

10th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2012)

jamwires's avatar

Highly overrated. There, I said it.

I don't need to go too far into the note breakdown, but here's my deal with TV. It's big, thick and linear. When I heard about this fragrance, everyone spoke about this very straightforward tobacco/vanilla combination. I get that, and both notes are nicely done - but if I'm being 100% honest, it smells closer to a damn Christmas candle. And hey, Christmas candles smell pretty nice, but this is just too thick and linear for me.

Just my opinion, but if you want a straight-up vanilla with a hint of tobacco, check out Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

Tobacco Vanille overall rating: 6/10

05 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Sillage monster blend of tobacco, cinnamon and vanilla that is dark, syrupy and delicious though lacking in real subtleness and sophistication. The note of tobacco adds a certain level of virile bitterness making contrast with some vanillic/almondy gourmand notes. A touch of chocolatey booziness swirls around. Almost irresistible the dry down in its warm and comforting embrace. In the same vein of Kilian Back to Black but not so well crafted.

27 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 October, 2012)

baudilus's avatar

I don't know if I'm alone in this feeling, but it smelled like prunes to me, with a faint hint of vanilla and an even fainter hint of tobacco. It was not unpleasant, but for the price I was expecting something more wow.

03 November, 2011

obscura's avatar

Is this a joke? Tobacco Vanille is nothing other than a bottled version of the masculine fantasy of sitting in a tufted-leather wingback chair in front of a fireplace, with a cigar/pipe in one hand and a glass of 25-year-old scotch in the other. This isn't art, it is caricature, albeit pretty well done.

TV is huge and loud and cloying, shouting, "TOBACCO! CLOVES! VANILLA!" at the top of its lungs. To be honest, though, after it settles down about three hours later, I find it quite enticing (but that is mostly because I like to imagine myself inside the aforementioned fantasy). Would I ever buy this? Probably not, but I will probably never need to--TV is so loud two drops out of my 4 ml sample lasts for days.

23 May, 2011

MarshallLaw's avatar

It has all been said. I must admit, sometimes I go to sleep with a little sprayed on my wrists. The sense of smell can have various effects on our sleep. This executes an evening luxurious sleep and when I wake up in the morning I can still smell a great deal of the dry down. I believe the tobacco keeps the longevity fluent.

My morning is just as pleasant until it is time for work and I apply another application of parfum and savor a new scent for the new day. To me this is part of the journey Tom Ford meant to share. While it is nice enough to through on a tux, it can provide serenity.

However, as a collector of niche fragrances, I feel ripped off. To me, this feels like a $69.99 scent I can get at Sephora. I recently was at Neiman's and had the opportunity to have a long conversation about this. We went through each scent. She asked me to layer several. This was very pleasant, but $190 for each bottle of each scent to layer is ridiculous. I might as well buy an Attar from Oman. At least then the execution would be honest. Don't get me wrong, I would layer if they were $69.99 but they aren't. Is Tom going to pay my rent?

28 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

I've changed my mind - this is getting to be all about honey and less about tobacco on me.

10th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2011)

holyzoo's avatar

I was looking forward to my sampling of this, but Tobacco Vanille had heavy competition which it usually doesn't when it's hanging out at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. I had it up against Fumerie Turque, Back to Black, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, and Amber Russe. What a duke out. Well the champion of smokey tobacco for me is Fumerie Turque. If I need more vanilla that's easy to throw in the mix. Even throw something like A*Men on top. Fumerie begs to be layered on. Tobacco Vanille? I guess so, but it doesn't really give what I want from the tobacco side. So I picked up CBIHatePerfume's Pipe Tobacco Accord for cheap, and that isolates the tobacco accord to whatever I want with. Next up, Spiritueuse Double Vanille is probably the closest competition to Tom Ford's, and I think its done better - it's better balanced and less sweet. Back to Black is the most mellow out of the bunch, has very little vanilla, has none of the overly sweetness, and employs some feminine oriental spices on the top - if that's your kind of thing. Lastly, Amber Russe has the tobacco blast, but warmed by Amber not Vanilla, and as similarly sweet as Amber Russe is to Tobacco Vanille, I think it's far smoother, without the cloying sweetness, and the dry down with Russe puts Tobacco Vanille to shame.

23 March, 2010

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Do you love the smell of unsmoked dark vanilla pipe tobacco?
    So do I, and this ain't it.
    I'm not sure if I agree most with Asha's description of lovely spiced cookie dough or Stereotomy''s vanilla scented candle, but I understand the thumbs up from both reviewers and if i ever wish to smell like either description, I know where to find it.
    There are high quality tobacco scents that convey precisely what they're aiming for ( dry leaves being cured in Tabac Auera for example) but as for the scent of an unsmoked dark vanilla pipe tobacco, I give up!

In a book of Japanese incense, whose name I can't for the life of me remember, the author mentioned the custom in ancient Japan of wearing a satchel or pouch of wood shavings of Kyara or Sandalwood in the inside pocket of a kimono--or was it a neck pouch? Those crazy samurai!

Unless someone suggests an alternative, this may be the only way to go for the scent. Stop at your friendly tobacconist's shop.

14 December, 2009

L'Aventurier's avatar

Tobacco, black tea and vanilla. That's about it.

While I loved it at first sniff, Tobacco Vanille now makes me yawn of boredom due to it's linear (and lack of) evolution. I also hate the synthetic black tea note in it - I find myself getting annoyed of smelling the exact same thing for hours on end - like a song that was good at first, but once you hear it on the radio for the 5th time in an hour you're fed up of it. Not much else to say here, but that TV is also overpriced and smells a bit like a candle. Sorry guys, I'm just not feeling this one.

I much prefer Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille - now that's a fragrance with quality, evolution and great blending. Even though there's no tobacco in SDV, it still reminds me of vanilla pipe tobacco and gets top honors for being my favorite pipe-tobacco-style fragrance. SDV is less sweet than TV and it's not even close to being as cloying or annoying as Tobacco Vanille.

15 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

For the first 15 minutes all I got was dried preserved prunes - the sort you'd find in Chinatown, sold in large packets with the prunes individually wrapped in paper. We call these preservatives 'buah kanna'. (Hey, maybe Tom Ford was eating some while sifting through dried tobacco leaves and somehow drew an inspiration!) Anyway fun facts aside, when the tobacco finally arrives, its presence is unmistakable. Loads of dry unlit tobacco leaves here, playing up an evocative note which probably reminds many of the men in their lives. This aspect of a scent normally wins my vote. However, considering the line's exclusivity and price point, I find TOBACCO VANILLE's linearity and simplicity too uninspiring that eating some buah kana seems to be the more satisfying option. Strictly for tobacco lovers.

12 October, 2009

street_a_licious's avatar

Austria Austria

it smells like...... honey tea to me. basically LOTS of honey, warm honey, only honey.

i like honey, i sure do, but i wouldn't pay for this.

01st October, 2009

tvlampboy's avatar

Chergui wth more tobacco and slightly lower quality vanilla. For the price difference, get the Chergui and then smoke a pack of cigarettes.

09 September, 2009

TropiRock's avatar

Boy, oh boy - my first review and I have to be very neutral about this expensive fragrance. I would have given a thumbs down, but didn't want to be such a naysayer in my pilot review. So what to say? Although I have worn colognes for many, many years, I never gave much thought to individual notes of which the fragrance is comprised, but rather looked at the "big picture". I either like the smell or I don't. Tobacco Vanille, on my skin, is too sweet to be masculine. The combination of vanilla and tobacco definitely produces an odor reminiscent of vanilla-flavored tobaccos that were popular during the 80's. Maybe still, I don't know. After a few hours, the scent began to morph and started to remind me of some other familiar smell. Hmmm...let's see, what is it? Then it hit me: it smells like freshly prepared banana pudding! (For those of you who may not be familiar, banana pudding is a dessert staple in the southeastern U.S. and has a huge vanilla scent). Don't get me wrong, I love banana pudding, but I draw the line at smearing it on my body as a fragrance. I love a nice, juicy steak, too, but....well, you get the picture. Now if Tom Ford slapped a layer of meringue on top of that Tobacco Vanille, I might consider eating a bowlful. Oops - forgot about the price - better make that a spoonful. One more thing: this is definitely a long-lasting fragrance, but I wouldn't necessarily consider longevity to be a plus for this particular juice.

03 September, 2009

AnthonyDG's avatar

Well the longevity and sillage were absolutely unbelievable on me. Linear, yes.. but one tiny spray from a small atomizer and I was good to go for 16+ hours. This is so rare for me - in fact I'd say that 99% of fragrances don't last anything close to as long as TV on my skin.

You have to be a vanilla fan (tonka bean) to enjoy this - no doubt about it. There was mention of the vanilla scented candles that I could relate to a bit, though the vanilla in TV is of higher quality and doesn't smell nasty, though it does smell synthetic.

Price isn't absurd when you consider one.. TWO small sprays at most.. will last you as long as TV does. Probably my favorite from the Tom Ford Private Blend. I can see it really shining in colder weather. In warmer weather this fragrance was a total turn-off. Somebody I knew who sampled it described it as "dirty vanilla". After the last time I wore it I'm forced to agree. This is one I did a total 180 on and won't be returning to.

27 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2010)

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Dirty Vanilla scent. The tobacco gives the vanilla a "naughty" side. Great sillage and longevity, however the scent isn't all that inticing...

08 December, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

It's like I smoked a cheap cigar right after smoking a pipe in a crushed velvet chair adn then had the keen idea of spraying on some of Coty Raw Vanilla. I'm torn between a pleasing scent and a rip-your-heart-out high price.

18 September, 2008