Reviews of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

del's avatar

Tobacco Vanille opens with a strong tobacco leaf note blended with some sweetness that smells like honey to me. Syrupy or medicinal, in a good way. The tobacco remains dominant for a couple of hours on my skin, then the vanilla takes over. Reminds me of rootbeer / cream soda with hints of tobacco and spices.

Longevity is very good (not excellent), the projection is loud the first couple of hours, then it tones down, before becoming a skin scent.

While Tobacco Vanille seems easy to understand, it is a fine perfume that every fragrance head must smell. Thumbs up!

31st March, 2013

Jkidd's avatar

This is a beautiful Vanilla based fragrance. I get mostly spices, vanilla, and woods, more so than tobacco. The tobacco note in this fragrance is very faint. I would have loved for TV to have a stronger tobacco presence. However, this is an excellent fragrance for winter with powerful projection and staying power.

28th March, 2013

Quartz's avatar

A very nice scent. It's exactly as others have described here. It reminds me of my grandfather's pipe tobacco humidor. It does have a nice vanilla drydown but, for me, the pipe tobacco note lasts pretty much the whole time. I didn't notice any cinnamon. I can see this as a unisex fragrance. The big drawback is the ridiculous price- I'd buy it if it wasn't so costly.

18th March, 2013

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I don't get this scent. I almost feel sick when I smell this. Tried to give it away, but no one seemed to like it.

15th March, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

50% Tobacco, 50% Vanilla at opening.

25% Tobacco, 75% Vanilla at drydown.

Enough tobacco to flavor and spice the fragrance, but not overpowering or musty.

Just the right about of vanilla, so it is not feminine or overly sweet.

Quality notes, great projection and longevity. Relatively versatile for what it is.

May be out of your price range, but if you have the money, this gem is definitely worth it.

27th February, 2013 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2013)

sjg3839's avatar

One of the better Private Blends IMO. It starts off with a vanilla blast and the tobacco creeps up very fast. It settles down to a nice sweet cinnamon and vanilla scent with that tobacco still in there. The spices really assist this one to be a really good winter scent.

21st February, 2013

Stylomannen's avatar

A Great perfume. It perfectly recreates the illusion of sweetish pipe tobacco and/or unsmoked cigars. I simply love that scent. However, the scent is not cloying or too heavy. And it is really the tobacco scent that is dominant, not the vanille. Curiously the perfumer has also managed to blend smoked or burnt tobacco scent as well, creating the impression of the delicate smell and scnt of the cigar club of which I was member a few years back. Recommended!

26th January, 2013

's avatar

Aside from DHI, TV is my wife's favorite scent that I wear. Very sexy scent which is odd because I really don't consider tobacco as a sexy scent. I get Tobacco (duh) vanilla (duh) and then I get a light mixture of honey and cinnamon to round it off.

21st January, 2013

Preston H's avatar

This is absolutely stunning. The tobacco flower and the vanilla infuse to make a dark, honey accord. In fact, when I wear it I get a beautiful cloud of honey and cocoa and its so gorgeous. During the dry down I get a smokey tobacco leaf and a chocolatey fruit smell. Absolutely unisex, the kind of scent u want your gf/wife to wear. When I wear this to the strip club, the dancers get a lil closer, and the dances last a lil longer ;)

01st January, 2013

srellim1's avatar

Not a lot to add. Loved it when I first purchased it two winters ago. Love it this winter.

27th December, 2012

warrior504th's avatar

LOVE it, mostly.

The first time I tried this (at a store in San Fran), I dismissed it as "not for me" as it made me rather nauseous. I've recently come back to try an individual sample and sure am happy I did so! It turns out that the nausea was due to just way too much sampling.

Upon second try, I find that I LOVE it for the first 4-5 hours... then the tobacco begins to fade and you're left with a smell that reminds me of sugar cookie dough... too sweet at this point.

It's honestly a masterpiece... for the first 4-5 hours. After that? Not so sure. I'll update when I have more experience with it.

18th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 19th December, 2012)

Abo's avatar

Initial thought, overrated. I tried it and just didn't get it. I revisited this the other day and wow, I must have been crazy. That sweet burst of tobacco eventually dried down but never really hid in the shadows as the vanilla crept up. Throughout the evening I kept getting hints of the tobacco swirling with vanilla. This is exactly what I wanted it to be, Warm, Sophisticated, Relaxed, Opulent. Now to justify the price. When my girlfriend pulled me close 6 hours later and reminded me that I smelt amazing, the deal was done.

10th December, 2012

baldheadjim's avatar

Fragrant pipe tobacco with vanilla and dried fruit accord. Enjoy the way the pipe tobacco blends and does not overpower the other notes. Sits close to skin but lasts all day. More than 12 hours on my skin and tobacco leaf faded into dry sweet tobacco flower vanilla blend. I swear I can also pick up a light fresh dry orange scent too.

05th December, 2012

Tuberosa's avatar

When I was a child I went to Paris. Everywhere smelt either of Gauloises, flowers, cognac, and this incredible haunting, vanilla-cigar type smell. Paris does not smell of anything much anymore, but this scent is the nearest thing to what I remember.

If you are heartily sick of vanilla (like me), please give this a try, it isn't like any of the usual vanilla smells out there. Also, don't dismiss it after the first spray - the honeyed vanilla tones dominate at first and you need to give it a few minutes for the subtler cedary tobacco notes to come through.

Highly recommended, but the price is truly scary.

02nd December, 2012

rbaker's avatar

You like vanilla, tobacco, amber and honey - here it is! Initially I mainly get honey and a bit of tobacco, but then vanilla arrives and blends with the honey very pleasantly, whilst the amber remains in the background of this canvas. I was expecting rich, Mugleresque heaviness, and trying it at temperatures between 30 and 97F within one week I expected it to be very cloying in the hot weather. None of that to my surprise, it was always balanced, was never cloying and, unusual for a gourmand scent on me, even displayed moments of elegance on my skin on a hot day. At times the vanilla felt synthetic and a bit cheap, but most if the time it was a good impression. Silage and projection are good on me, and the longevity is outstanding at over nine hours. In spite of some occasional weaknesses, it deserves a thumbs-up overall.

29th November, 2012

charger's avatar

I so wanted to love this, but I am not a big vanilla fan. Sure, I know it's right there in the name and all, but I was hoping for more tobacco and less vanille!

The top notes are nice with a green tobacco leaf, spice, amber and vanilla. But after about half an hour I don't smell anything but powdery vanilla. If you love vanilla, this is your scent!

19th November, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A masterpiece from Tom Ford house.
    The notes break down is very simple but overall smell is great.
    The opening is great mix of tobacco and honey and vanilla. very sweet and dark and pleasant.
    At the base tobacco note is very weak in the background but vanilla and honey are still there with so delicious smell! I want to bite my wrist! lol
    Very good longevity but projection isn't that great.
    For the 2-3 hours you have a very good scent cloud but after that it's a skin scent fragrance!

08th November, 2012

's avatar

That's a masterpiece. A warm and comforting blend of honey and sweet tobacco, rounded by warm vanilla. It's unisex and has a great sillage, lasting power and projection. Well, i cant describe it more than saying it's a masterpiece.

29th October, 2012

Nosebud's avatar

If you are drawn to pipe tobacco, want to smell it all day, but don't want to smoke? If yes, then this is amazing. It reminds me of Yukon Gold pipe tobacco (vanilla flavored.) Super sexy scent that everyone I know that has experienced has loved.

21st October, 2012

senore01's avatar

Absolutely adore this fragrance. A realistic pipe tobacco scent with a dark, vanilla dry down? I can't even begin to tell you how beautifully this fragrance performs. I have dry skin and therefore it is difficult to find fragrances that last. However TV lasts and lasts. This is one of the best fragrances I have ever purchased. It is expensive, yes. But worth the money in my opinion. It makes me feel good and brings out a big smile on me whenever I take a sniff. Very masculine too.

10th October, 2012

BeenThereSmeltThat's avatar

The Vanilla knocked me for 6!
    but in a good way. Jeez i mean if you have ever fantasised about being a vanilla Ice cream? YES? then this is for you!

stunning and gorgeous. Please be easy on the trigger or you will kill people. the tobacco i find gives it an EDGE not a horrible overwhelming vibe.

but damn if you like Vanilla then there are no questions asked. Buy this.

04th August, 2012

Zut's avatar

Top: Tobacco leaf, spicy notes
    Heart: Tonka bean, tobacco blossom, vanilla, cacao
    Base: Dried fruits, woody notes

I was eager to try this EDP since it contains some of my favourite notes. Like many fragrances of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection, Tobacco Vanille has a slow dry-down and an unbelievable longevity. When I first applied, though, an intense and sickeningly cloying whiff turned on a big red light for me. I told myself: This one is a big no-no! I was afraid I would reek of sweet aromatic pipe tobacco for hours. Fortunately, about 50 minutes later, the dry-down began and the tonka and vanilla notes became a little darker and richer as the dryer wood notes started to emerge. The tobacco remained discreet but still present in the background. I was expecting a slightly smokier fragrance but since I love tonka/vanilla-based perfumes, I was not really disappointed.

Tobacco Vanille is ridiculously expensive but its longevity partly makes up for the outrageous price.

17th July, 2012

nonsisa's avatar

Germany Germany

For the ones of you that like pipe tobacco with a sweet cherry note and don't despise vanilla this perfume is gonna generate a big smile on your face.

This fragrance is kind a hard to not like unless you cannot stand pipe tobacco and/or vanilla.

Nevertheless it might not be good for every occasion.

12th July, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

I wanted to like it... The Top Note was nice... Tobacco was apparent. But at dry down, the Vanilla became overpowering. Smelled like a woman's cologne... a more sophisticated "Vanilla Fields" It has longevity, but I had to bury my nose in my wrist to smell the tobacco that I was looking forward to. Don't wear it in hot humid weather... but it would work at a church desert social.

29th June, 2012

's avatar

Where do I start with this? First let me say that I'm a big fan of Tom Ford fragrances and I'd been looking forward to trying this for a while. Well yesterday I found myself in Harvey Nichols in Leeds and so I gave it a go.

I'll leave it up to those with much more experience to describe exactly what notes are detectable and how they develop, but what I will say is that I found it awful to the point of being offensive. My girlfriend agreed and even made me get straight in the shower to scrub it off when we got home!

I'm just starting out trying new fragrances whilst I build my collection and I understand that Tom Ford can be a little 'out there' with his private blends. That said, I can't ever imagine it to be socially acceptable to smell like this. I've read the positive reviews with interest and am surprised to see that there's a lot of love for this on here so I guess it's a case of love it or hate it, but I will advise people to try this one before you buy!

20th May, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

While Dior Homme Intense is my all time number 1 fragrance, Tobacco Vanille has one thing over it: the best example of well made vanilla in a fragrance. The name is self explanatory and yes, this is a very, very sweet fragrance; of course, that also means it's very easy to like (like a flawlessly made designer scent, with nuclear power and big price tag, but it's oh so good). The tobacco is noticeable, but it's not offensive and overly masculine. It's a perfect blend of the tobacco note along with the powerhouse vanilla note. While the tobacco is noticeable at the top the most, the vanilla soon takes over and this becomes an insanely great smelling, sweet vanilla scent, that easily lasts more than most fragrance offerings. Price is expensive for this (which is why I opted for a split of 50ml), but one spray of this beast would easily do the trick. It's simply very potent...but you know what? This might work great in the summer too! One spray of this on the chest and you will be smelling sweet and sexy all day long. Very crowd pleasing scent, very well made. If you are looking for vanilla, this is the one to try (easily beats even the upper end competition such as Spirituese Double Vanille).

17th May, 2012

Redbeard's avatar

The progression between the stages of this stuff was very slow for me last time, so I'll get through as much of it as I can today. Initially, I'd call it soda plus chocolate, with a vein of something fruit-based that provides a streak of coolness across the warm sweetness, at least for the first few minutes. I think there's both coffee and caramel, a slight nuttiness, and of course tobacco, and I actually like this phase quite a bit because I find there's enough earthiness and dust to cut the sweetness. It's a surprisingly masculine gourmand, and the soda/cola connotations here are OK by my standards because they're more like the cola-flavored Bottle Caps candy, sort of a toned down reference to cola. The overall smoothness of the mixture is rather remarkable, with nothing sticking out and the individual notes blurring into one another. Even the extreme sweetness, which might normally be suffocatingly heavy, stays restrained by the other components for now; it comes across as more of a liqueur sweetness (frangelico, kahlua, and bailey's?) than a candy sweetness. It risks being very potpourri-ish, and as much as I like potpourri, I worry that it would call to mind too many associations with your prim and proper aunt Georgina's elaborate Christmas decorations. Ultimately, the vanilla gets stronger and more insistent very slowly over many hours, and eventually ends up being a bit much for me as the earthier notes fade. A very interesting blend, but I agree that the first hour or two is what's worthwhile.

14th May, 2012

Dmotron's avatar

Smells kinda like root beer. Not saying its bad scent but not the best either. Longevity is a beast. Projection is a beast...gotta give a thumbs up for that.

06th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th May, 2012)

hreple's avatar

Sampled this fragrance now several times, and this is what I'm ending up with.

The first 30 minutes to one hour is great. Why? The tobacco-part dominates, keeping the absurd amount of vanilla at bay, displaying at least a whisper of masculinity and presence.

After that, it all goes horribly wrong for me. I'm treated to an explosion of vanilla, and it just doesn't want to quit it's extreme vanilla-game. It's overtly sweet, and I just can't deal with it, and find it extremely feminine.

I've also received numerous feedbacks on the fact that I smell less than masculine. Could it be a cultural thing? Yes, I suppose. It could also just be the fact that sweet vanilla just isn't very masculine, at least not for me.

I'm giving it a thumbs down because of the absurd price, and the fact that it way too quickly morphs into the vanilla monster from your sugary dreams. Even though, it's very well put together, and the longevity and projection is EXTREME!

If you really LOVE vanilla, go for this and never look back. If you, like me, came looking for tobacco, continue your search.

14th April, 2012

silentrich's avatar

Wasn't the home run I thought it would be and glad that I didn't go ahead and blind buy a full bottle. TV is a very heavy and syrupy fragrance that combines tobacco, vanilla, and spices that gives off a sweet potpourri smell. I believe there's a honey note or accord that really puts this into the sweet tooth category. Some compare this to Back to Black which in my opinion has a superior tobacco note, better balanced, and more representative of what a tobacco lover would want. If you love extremely sweet and heavy fragrances, this one might be for you. Otherwise sample this because it's not a fragrance that is going to suit everyone's tastes.

11th April, 2012