Reviews of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jamwires's avatar

Highly overrated. There, I said it.

I don't need to go too far into the note breakdown, but here's my deal with TV. It's big, thick and linear. When I heard about this fragrance, everyone spoke about this very straightforward tobacco/vanilla combination. I get that, and both notes are nicely done - but if I'm being 100% honest, it smells closer to a damn Christmas candle. And hey, Christmas candles smell pretty nice, but this is just too thick and linear for me.

Just my opinion, but if you want a straight-up vanilla with a hint of tobacco, check out Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

Tobacco Vanille overall rating: 6/10

05th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2012)

ftUK's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

just love it
    not for anyone who doesn't like tobacco. i don't like tobacco though but this one works really well. sort of a pleasant smell to my nose.

i think this is good rendition between vanilla and tobacco

03rd March, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd May, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Sillage monster blend of tobacco, cinnamon and vanilla that is dark, syrupy and delicious though lacking in real subtleness and sophistication. The note of tobacco adds a certain level of virile bitterness making contrast with some vanillic/almondy gourmand notes. A touch of chocolatey booziness swirls around. Almost irresistible the dry down in its warm and comforting embrace. In the same vein of Kilian Back to Black but not so well crafted.

27th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 09th October, 2012)

different-scents's avatar

I got my 4ml sample of Tobacco Vanille today, and out of the bottle I did not think I would like it AT ALL. Smells like the sweetest sweet imaginable, and I'm not a fan of sweet scents. I always prefer dark, woody, musky scents, which is also why I wanted to try this one so badly as a change of pace. And change of pace it is!

I actually enjoy it. I can't quite put my finger on what I enjoy about it.

Very spicy sweet like a pumpkin pie with too much nutmeg. I get almost no tobacco in here, which is somewhat unfortunate because I was hoping for more tobacco.

I'm unsure when I can wear this, but I'm sure I'll find a good time to try it out. I don't work in an office, but I could see it working well in that situation if you're an established employee. Definitely not for newbies.

There's been talk of layering TF scents, which I think this could work well as. Not sure what I will try layering it with, but I may report back here with an update in the future if I find something that works well for me.

I seriously just get vanilla and nutmeg. Perhaps what I'm picking up as nutmeg is actually amber, but it just reminds me too much of pumpkin pie with too much vanilla and too many spices. This could work around holidays or a nighttime date in cool weather. I am pretty sure if you wear this midday on a hot afternoon you will destroy the sniffers of everyone around you.

All I did was dab one tiny drop onto my fingtertip and rub it onto my wrist and it was MORE than enough.

I admittedly have just started trying niche products, but I find this very unique and unlike anything I have ever worn.

Do not blind buy! Get a quality sample like I did and then make up your mind. I actually got 2 x 4ml samples, and will likely resell one of the bottles. Even a small amount like 4 ml will last me a long time, especially since I plan to continue testing more and more scents over the coming months.

edit**update**: I repeat-- I cannot believe I love this stuff. I have always hated vanilla perfumes on women, yet here I am loving a vanilla based scent on myself. When I wear this scent it makes me happy, hungry, excited. I swear that I believe Tom Ford got lucky on this juice. I will happily enjoy my 8 ml, which should last me easily 2 years. I mentioned above that I think it is good for layering. I haven't actually layered it, but I wore it with both Burberry original and also Creed Erolfa-- both worked with VERY different scents.

I hate posting longggg diatribes in my reviews but allow me to explain. When I wore this with Burberry, I dabbed it on my wrists, the inside of my elbow, and bottom of my neck, then spritzed a couple sprays of Burberry around my chest and shoulders. Burbery, if you know, is spicy sweet, but woody, very different from Tobacco Vanille, yet they work together. I loved this combo.

Next day I dabbed Creed Erolfa in front and behind both ears, along my neckline, and then dabbed Tobacco Vanille on my wrists and inner elbow.

If you own these scents, I'd love to hear some feedback on the way I wore these scents. I could probably pull off Tobacco Vanille on its own, but I just feel it works better in combination with something else.

Thanks for reading.

18th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2012)

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Easily the sweetest thing I own. I managed to avoid the sweet-tooth craving for years. But I finally got sucked into the twice-as-much-for-a-bit-more concept and am now stuck with a gargantuan bottle, so I really hope that I continue to like this for the rest of my life… or several lives.

Regardless of whether or not this swooning will last forever, I disagree with all of the negative reviews screaming that the vanilla overpowers the tobacco. This is honeyed tobacco, maybe some bitter almond, and certainly dried fruit with a touch of spice - many of which do carry a vanilla character. Throwing in a healthy dose of more vanilla does sweeten it up considerably, but never silences the tobacco. Far from smelling like cheap Vanilla Extract, the ambient humidor vibe, without any hint of the smoked stuff or its ashy remains, is beautiful. Linear, perhaps even cloying, but beautiful.

When it becomes old-hat, don't discount its talent as a mid-winter base (layered, I mean) for other fragrances benefiting from a full-bodied gourmand injection. For more tobacco in the same honeyed-leaf vein but able to counteract some for the sweetness, I like adding a bit of Abdes Salaam's Tabac to the mix.

13th February, 2012

Primrose's avatar

I so wanted to love Tobacco Vanille, as I enjoy sweet tobacco scents. It goes on as a warm, sweet tobacco and vanilla--what is on on the tin is in the contents.

In the end, on me, I got mostly a warm amber and vanilla with less of the tobacco.

I give this a thumbs up if you like more vanilla than tobacco, as some do.

I adore the Tuscan Leather in this line, but will find my sweet tobacco elsewhere in other scents:

By Killian Back to Black
    Costamor Tabacca
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

EDIT: I also bought Tobacco Vanille to add to my tobacco lineup

05th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2012)

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

This is not an everyday scent for me, maybe because the weather here isn`t always cold. Tobacco Vanille has heavy main notes that get pretty intense on hot days, distorting the harmony of its aroma. On colder days, though, is a cozy combination of honey, spicy tobacco and vanilla. I get first the honey aroma, slightly spicy, then the vanilla and at last a leafy and woody tobacco note. At the past i used to love it more, today i think it should be more interesting if you had more notes to improve its dynamic througout its evolution on skin (which is also a reason i wouldn`t wear it everyday, it seems a little bit tiresome).

19th January, 2012

Mandella's avatar

I had sprayed on Addict earlier in the day, and decided to swatch my wrist with TV when I was running out the door.Talk about Clash of the Titans!I digress....
    TV is a comforting smell but has always been a jumbled gourmet to my novice nose. I could detect honey, tobacco, vanilla, and something slightly bitter, but didn't know what to make of them. Since I had a pack of cigarettes nearby, I used them as reference, Et voila, TV smells like Vanilla Marlboros! Or more accurately, TV sells of fine tobacco,and high quality vanilla.Love it!

10th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2012)

Lobster2010's avatar

England England

At first I wasn't impressed, but I have learnt to allow a fragrance to develop and boy did I learn.

Take the softest smelling tobacco leaf and wrap it around a heated vanilla stick and allow them to fuse slowly while sprinkling down a gentle concoction of spices and brown sugar.

The tobacco burns out a little quicker but allows a smoked out beautiful vanilla take over your realm.

It is another poetic fragrance.

(personal hint : perhaps add just a little dab of Tuscan Leather to really stand out)

07th January, 2012

Oproust's avatar

I've been on a sweet tobacco binge lately and Tobacco Vanille does not help me break this fixation. TV is a simple but great tobacco scent. Simple and to the point. Nothing real complicated or complex here. The opening is strong tobacco, cigar-like. TV is different than Pure Havane which is a smooth, cherry tobacco. Shortly into its progression, TV takes on a tobacco-tonka-spicy accord that helps restrain the tobacco from going too far for my nose to enjoy. When the vanilla and cacao drydown takes hold, I know this is a fragrance I can fall in love with. TV is a gourmand with a spicy tobacco disposition that won't leave you alone in a swirling blue haze of smoke. It may leave you in a blue haze with a stranger's snout planted firmly in your neck. No, that is not a vampire sniffing your neck, it's someone you really want to know.

16th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th December, 2011)

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

wmim said it right. Although I prefer the Wayfarer... I get why many say it's not worth the money but if you like this the way I do, no price tag will stop you.

16th December, 2011

dollars&scents's avatar

Tabacco Vanille by Tom Ford - In the opening, one is majically transported to an established, tabacconist shop, with its delightful explosion of varied scents from its myriad of apothecary jars, and a concomitant assortment of fragrant spices. The initial slap of tabacco scales down to a pleasing level. From afar, a creamy vanilla beckons this mishmash to join the party of the heart. Here, the comforting vanilla along with the smooth tonka bean brew with the dry tabacco, and imparts its delectable sweetness. A faint, lovely floral - tabacco flower - pirouettes here and there, and a delectable scent of cocoa occasionally peeks through. The buff base rears and pulls the vanilla concoction into its pungent, fruity accords and syrupy, sweet wood sap, adding finishing touches to the vanilla star. This rich composition has superior longevity and very good projection.

21st November, 2011

spirit966's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Really like this scent as it is comforting, ambery and soothing.

It is a very sweet gourmand and I do agree that the vanilla here is not the best around.

But the cinnamon and tobacco + the vanilla really is a soothing masculine concoction.

I don't agree that this smells like Spiriteous Double Vanille. Yes they both do vanilla. But this is more about cinnamon, tobacco (pipe tobacco), and warm vanilla with a little bit of a raisin and eggnog (honey) note during the first few hours. Spiriteous Double Vanille starts very boozy and ends with a vanilla icecream accord.

08th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th January, 2012)

baudilus's avatar

I don't know if I'm alone in this feeling, but it smelled like prunes to me, with a faint hint of vanilla and an even fainter hint of tobacco. It was not unpleasant, but for the price I was expecting something more wow.

03rd November, 2011

wmim's avatar

One of my favorites. Let's see... Open a fresh box of Cuban cigars with a vanilla accent and bottle it. World travel, aviator sunglasses, linen suit, black leather duffle bag, Lincoln town car, mirror table top, low ceilings, wallpaper, cocaine mixer, dimmed lights and a super model. That's the vibe of TV. All business and I hope it stays unknown to most.

27th October, 2011

orangefiction's avatar

Christmas/ fruit cake smell. I didn't like this at first because it is too strong. But just use a little and it will smell great.

22nd September, 2011

cal725's avatar

England England

This is easily one of my favourite scents. I could see it being worn by anyone from young to old. The notes that dominate through the whole fragrance, to my nose, are honey and vanilla. I can't smell tobacco at all. It projects well for the first 4-6 hours and altogether lasts well over 12 on my skin. I think a man or a woman could pull this off. Tobacco Vanille is best suited for a date or a cuddle with your girl/boyfriend, in my opinion, and possibly for clubbing. The only downside is that since it is one of Tom Ford's 'Private Blend' fragrances, it is very expensive, the smallest size bottle (50ml) sells for £120.

22nd September, 2011

sacredsystem's avatar

A sensual and inviting fragrance that is more than just tobacco and vanilla. The more you wear it, the more you realize how deep and complex this gem really is. Simply delicious! Tom Ford's Private Collection is simply fantastic.

09th September, 2011

sr_dedo's avatar

Spain Spain

It's a great fragance, when you wear it the sillage it's a bomb and people smell around you asking for the fragance...What's your perfum...??!!
    Expensive....? maybe but when you r wearing you feel great, as your fragance ;)

23rd August, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I absolutely love this fragrance. A complete masterpiece in my opinion!

Just making things short: honey, vanilla and tobacco never were so good on my skin, and this combination stays and projects forever!

A MUST TRY for anyone who loves sweet fragrances.

21st August, 2011

drseid's avatar

As many others have said, this fragrance smells exactly like the name... Tobacco and Vanilla. I have found it to have above average longevity on my skin, but below average silage. The scent is nice to be sure, but I think it is the association I made of it smelling just like a Las Vegas casino that really hooked me in (as I *love* Vegas). Nothing groundbreaking or complex here, just a great natural smelling 3.5 star out of 5 casino scent.

17th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th December, 2012)

blood-orange's avatar

Well, what can I possibly say to describe this amazing fragrance that hasn't already been said?

To me, Tobacco Vanille is sex in a bottle. This fragrance seems to be edible, however I wouldn't classify it as a gourmand.

I've grown up surrounded by the scent of tobacco, however I am never repulsed by it. The smokiness of the scent seems to be a comforting medium for me. When combined with the rich vanilla in this fragrance, the tobacco really takes on that soothing feel. It feels rather 'homey'.

The scent is very strong at first, very rich and tobacco-y. If you've ever smelt a packet of cigarettes you'll find that they have a slight raisin type smell. This certain smell has been emulated in Tobacco Vanille's opening.

The vanilla is sweet, yet not too sweet. This is certainly something that would smell amazing on both men and women, a true unisex fragrance.

Expensive, yet well worth the money spent. Tobacco Vanille has amazing sillage strength and lasting power. I'm talking in terms of days. Since this is the only fragrance from Tom Ford's line that I've tried, I am very interested in testing them all.

07th August, 2011

ChoppedGarlic's avatar

Greece Greece

Easiest review ever, because, as others have already said, it's exactly what it says on the box: a sweet vanillic tobacco. Opens way too loud and crass, like it's trying its hardest to impress but mellows down rather quickly to a scent that feels just right. Not much evolution or complexity. Hard to think that many people could find it disagreeable though. Fairly versatile too imo, can be used anytime, anywhere with some moderation.

A comparison can be made with Kilian's Back to Black since they have a lot of similarities. BtB has better quality ingredients and is much more complex HOWEVER it leans closer to the "feminine" side of the spectrum imo and can have some longevity issues. TV on the hand is simpler, unisex and has very good longevity and is overall the "easy" choice.

06th August, 2011

Mistertaz's avatar

Inexperienced Review:

If you're wondering what it smells like... it smells *exactly* like its name. It smells of tobacco, as if you've just opened a fresh packet of cigarettes (in a good way) and vanilla.

To my inexperienced nose it smells very simple and linear. There' s no subtlety or progression, it's just tobacco and vanilla. However, the clarity, sillage and longevity of the scent is amazing! It just keeps going and going! I put some on this morning and I can still smell it strongly this evening! Interestingly I find that I smell predominantly tobacco, but apparently the sillage from a distance is more vanilla?!

I enjoy wearing this scent because of the longevity and also because of its simplicity and clarity. What do I mean by that? Just that it's not abstract or ethereal. It is what it is. It's masculine and uncomplicated. It brings to mind a well dressed man in the 50's with a cigarette hanging from his lips.

However, *personally*, the scents that I enjoy the most *are* the ones which are more abstract and use the ingredients to create a memory or paint a mental image, which is something that I associate more with art than just perfumery. Which is why I prefer Serge Lutens Chergui to Tobacco Vanille. However, I think both are sufficiently different and excellent in their own ways to have both.

Taz.

22nd June, 2011

barclaydetolly's avatar

Absolute truth in advertising here: Tobacco Vanille smells like a mix of extremely high quality vanilla and the fragrance you smell when you walk into a tobacco shop. The result is nothing short of perfect. I cannot stress enough how wonderful Tobacco Vanille smells; how unique it is; and how many women love it. This cologne is worth every penny (and it costs a lot of pennies), and has great sillage and longevity to boot. I don't wear it every day -- I wouldn't wear this to work or even during the day, for example -- but at night and on special occasions this is a killer scent that cannot be beaten. You owe it to yourself to at least try this one out.

06th June, 2011

obscura's avatar

Is this a joke? Tobacco Vanille is nothing other than a bottled version of the masculine fantasy of sitting in a tufted-leather wingback chair in front of a fireplace, with a cigar/pipe in one hand and a glass of 25-year-old scotch in the other. This isn't art, it is caricature, albeit pretty well done.

TV is huge and loud and cloying, shouting, "TOBACCO! CLOVES! VANILLA!" at the top of its lungs. To be honest, though, after it settles down about three hours later, I find it quite enticing (but that is mostly because I like to imagine myself inside the aforementioned fantasy). Would I ever buy this? Probably not, but I will probably never need to--TV is so loud two drops out of my 4 ml sample lasts for days.

23rd May, 2011

chet31's avatar

Initial notes are nice, although I get little vanilla, and even less tobacco. Spicy note on dry down gives way to a pleasant vanilla basenote. I would wear this in a pinch, but at this price, I would need to like it more than I do to purchase.

26th April, 2011

abdu2s's avatar

What i get out of this .

rich spices , like cinnamon i guess . it projects very well for the first hour , then the tobacco leaf joins the party with a creamy rich vanilla and cocoa , this is a really good fragrance , goes to the men side a bit , really leaves a great impression , every one will sniff you like crazy , zillion of people stopped me to ask about the scent.

after around 4 hours the vanilla and coco is the only thing that remains .

price: WORTH IT because not everyone should wear this greateness.

19th April, 2011

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Amusingly radiant and long lasting fragrance. Spray this more than four times, hit the crowd, and you're set for a few law suits against you.

But you know what? It smells irresistible. It's perhaps too loud even for my tastes (and I like strong stuff), but it smells good.
    Despite the high price it actually smells sort of cheap, like some ordinary, scented spicy-vanilla candle found in a super-market, and it obviously isn't composed with that much of a high end ingredients, but still...it smells good - I don't understand if you can disagree with me.

Fresh bitter-almond with the warm fruit-tarts at the top, enormous honeyed tobacco with a hint of a smoked cloves (medicinal, bitter, tea-like) in the middle, and a glowing but also, unfortunately, quite stuffy vanilla base.

But if you're into straightforward, sweet, strong and heavy honey-tobacco fragrances with a touch of smoke and gourmandies, I don't think anything can be more satisfying than this. And only 1 proper spray should do it.

29th March, 2011

dwrestle's avatar

Even though it is very sweet I still love it. I really can't detect hardly any tobacco though. I think it is probably my favorite unisex frag I have tried so far. I wish Tom Ford would take this, and reformulate it with way more tobacco, and call it Tom Ford blah blah for Men.

14th March, 2011