Reviews of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mandella's avatar

I had sprayed on Addict earlier in the day, and decided to swatch my wrist with TV when I was running out the door.Talk about Clash of the Titans!I digress....
    TV is a comforting smell but has always been a jumbled gourmet to my novice nose. I could detect honey, tobacco, vanilla, and something slightly bitter, but didn't know what to make of them. Since I had a pack of cigarettes nearby, I used them as reference, Et voila, TV smells like Vanilla Marlboros! Or more accurately, TV sells of fine tobacco,and high quality vanilla.Love it!

10th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2012)

Lobster2010's avatar

England England

At first I wasn't impressed, but I have learnt to allow a fragrance to develop and boy did I learn.

Take the softest smelling tobacco leaf and wrap it around a heated vanilla stick and allow them to fuse slowly while sprinkling down a gentle concoction of spices and brown sugar.

The tobacco burns out a little quicker but allows a smoked out beautiful vanilla take over your realm.

It is another poetic fragrance.

(personal hint : perhaps add just a little dab of Tuscan Leather to really stand out)

07 January, 2012

Oproust's avatar

I've been on a sweet tobacco binge lately and Tobacco Vanille does not help me break this fixation. TV is a simple but great tobacco scent. Simple and to the point. Nothing real complicated or complex here. The opening is strong tobacco, cigar-like. TV is different than Pure Havane which is a smooth, cherry tobacco. Shortly into its progression, TV takes on a tobacco-tonka-spicy accord that helps restrain the tobacco from going too far for my nose to enjoy. When the vanilla and cacao drydown takes hold, I know this is a fragrance I can fall in love with. TV is a gourmand with a spicy tobacco disposition that won't leave you alone in a swirling blue haze of smoke. It may leave you in a blue haze with a stranger's snout planted firmly in your neck. No, that is not a vampire sniffing your neck, it's someone you really want to know.

16 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2011)

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

wmim said it right. Although I prefer the Wayfarer... I get why many say it's not worth the money but if you like this the way I do, no price tag will stop you.

16 December, 2011

dollars&scents's avatar

Tabacco Vanille by Tom Ford - In the opening, one is majically transported to an established, tabacconist shop, with its delightful explosion of varied scents from its myriad of apothecary jars, and a concomitant assortment of fragrant spices. The initial slap of tabacco scales down to a pleasing level. From afar, a creamy vanilla beckons this mishmash to join the party of the heart. Here, the comforting vanilla along with the smooth tonka bean brew with the dry tabacco, and imparts its delectable sweetness. A faint, lovely floral - tabacco flower - pirouettes here and there, and a delectable scent of cocoa occasionally peeks through. The buff base rears and pulls the vanilla concoction into its pungent, fruity accords and syrupy, sweet wood sap, adding finishing touches to the vanilla star. This rich composition has superior longevity and very good projection.

21st November, 2011

spirit966's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Really like this scent as it is comforting, ambery and soothing.

It is a very sweet gourmand and I do agree that the vanilla here is not the best around.

But the cinnamon and tobacco + the vanilla really is a soothing masculine concoction.

I don't agree that this smells like Spiriteous Double Vanille. Yes they both do vanilla. But this is more about cinnamon, tobacco (pipe tobacco), and warm vanilla with a little bit of a raisin and eggnog (honey) note during the first few hours. Spiriteous Double Vanille starts very boozy and ends with a vanilla icecream accord.

08 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 January, 2012)

baudilus's avatar

I don't know if I'm alone in this feeling, but it smelled like prunes to me, with a faint hint of vanilla and an even fainter hint of tobacco. It was not unpleasant, but for the price I was expecting something more wow.

03 November, 2011

wmim's avatar

One of my favorites. Let's see... Open a fresh box of Cuban cigars with a vanilla accent and bottle it. World travel, aviator sunglasses, linen suit, black leather duffle bag, Lincoln town car, mirror table top, low ceilings, wallpaper, cocaine mixer, dimmed lights and a super model. That's the vibe of TV. All business and I hope it stays unknown to most.

27 October, 2011

orangefiction's avatar

Christmas/ fruit cake smell. I didn't like this at first because it is too strong. But just use a little and it will smell great.

22 September, 2011

cal725's avatar

England England

This is easily one of my favourite scents. I could see it being worn by anyone from young to old. The notes that dominate through the whole fragrance, to my nose, are honey and vanilla. I can't smell tobacco at all. It projects well for the first 4-6 hours and altogether lasts well over 12 on my skin. I think a man or a woman could pull this off. Tobacco Vanille is best suited for a date or a cuddle with your girl/boyfriend, in my opinion, and possibly for clubbing. The only downside is that since it is one of Tom Ford's 'Private Blend' fragrances, it is very expensive, the smallest size bottle (50ml) sells for £120.

22 September, 2011

sacredsystem's avatar

A sensual and inviting fragrance that is more than just tobacco and vanilla. The more you wear it, the more you realize how deep and complex this gem really is. Simply delicious! Tom Ford's Private Collection is simply fantastic.

09 September, 2011

sr_dedo's avatar

Spain Spain

It's a great fragance, when you wear it the sillage it's a bomb and people smell around you asking for the fragance...What's your perfum...??!!
    Expensive....? maybe but when you r wearing you feel great, as your fragance ;)

23 August, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I absolutely love this fragrance. A complete masterpiece in my opinion!

Just making things short: honey, vanilla and tobacco never were so good on my skin, and this combination stays and projects forever!

A MUST TRY for anyone who loves sweet fragrances.

21st August, 2011

drseid's avatar

As many others have said, this fragrance smells exactly like the name... Tobacco and Vanilla. I have found it to have above average longevity on my skin, but below average silage. The scent is nice to be sure, but I think it is the association I made of it smelling just like a Las Vegas casino that really hooked me in (as I *love* Vegas). Nothing groundbreaking or complex here, just a great natural smelling 3.5 star out of 5 casino scent.

17 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2012)

blood-orange's avatar

Well, what can I possibly say to describe this amazing fragrance that hasn't already been said?

To me, Tobacco Vanille is sex in a bottle. This fragrance seems to be edible, however I wouldn't classify it as a gourmand.

I've grown up surrounded by the scent of tobacco, however I am never repulsed by it. The smokiness of the scent seems to be a comforting medium for me. When combined with the rich vanilla in this fragrance, the tobacco really takes on that soothing feel. It feels rather 'homey'.

The scent is very strong at first, very rich and tobacco-y. If you've ever smelt a packet of cigarettes you'll find that they have a slight raisin type smell. This certain smell has been emulated in Tobacco Vanille's opening.

The vanilla is sweet, yet not too sweet. This is certainly something that would smell amazing on both men and women, a true unisex fragrance.

Expensive, yet well worth the money spent. Tobacco Vanille has amazing sillage strength and lasting power. I'm talking in terms of days. Since this is the only fragrance from Tom Ford's line that I've tried, I am very interested in testing them all.

07 August, 2011

ChoppedGarlic's avatar

Greece Greece

Easiest review ever, because, as others have already said, it's exactly what it says on the box: a sweet vanillic tobacco. Opens way too loud and crass, like it's trying its hardest to impress but mellows down rather quickly to a scent that feels just right. Not much evolution or complexity. Hard to think that many people could find it disagreeable though. Fairly versatile too imo, can be used anytime, anywhere with some moderation.

A comparison can be made with Kilian's Back to Black since they have a lot of similarities. BtB has better quality ingredients and is much more complex HOWEVER it leans closer to the "feminine" side of the spectrum imo and can have some longevity issues. TV on the hand is simpler, unisex and has very good longevity and is overall the "easy" choice.

06 August, 2011

Mistertaz's avatar

Inexperienced Review:

If you're wondering what it smells like... it smells *exactly* like its name. It smells of tobacco, as if you've just opened a fresh packet of cigarettes (in a good way) and vanilla.

To my inexperienced nose it smells very simple and linear. There' s no subtlety or progression, it's just tobacco and vanilla. However, the clarity, sillage and longevity of the scent is amazing! It just keeps going and going! I put some on this morning and I can still smell it strongly this evening! Interestingly I find that I smell predominantly tobacco, but apparently the sillage from a distance is more vanilla?!

I enjoy wearing this scent because of the longevity and also because of its simplicity and clarity. What do I mean by that? Just that it's not abstract or ethereal. It is what it is. It's masculine and uncomplicated. It brings to mind a well dressed man in the 50's with a cigarette hanging from his lips.

However, *personally*, the scents that I enjoy the most *are* the ones which are more abstract and use the ingredients to create a memory or paint a mental image, which is something that I associate more with art than just perfumery. Which is why I prefer Serge Lutens Chergui to Tobacco Vanille. However, I think both are sufficiently different and excellent in their own ways to have both.

Taz.

22 June, 2011

barclaydetolly's avatar

Absolute truth in advertising here: Tobacco Vanille smells like a mix of extremely high quality vanilla and the fragrance you smell when you walk into a tobacco shop. The result is nothing short of perfect. I cannot stress enough how wonderful Tobacco Vanille smells; how unique it is; and how many women love it. This cologne is worth every penny (and it costs a lot of pennies), and has great sillage and longevity to boot. I don't wear it every day -- I wouldn't wear this to work or even during the day, for example -- but at night and on special occasions this is a killer scent that cannot be beaten. You owe it to yourself to at least try this one out.

06 June, 2011

obscura's avatar

Is this a joke? Tobacco Vanille is nothing other than a bottled version of the masculine fantasy of sitting in a tufted-leather wingback chair in front of a fireplace, with a cigar/pipe in one hand and a glass of 25-year-old scotch in the other. This isn't art, it is caricature, albeit pretty well done.

TV is huge and loud and cloying, shouting, "TOBACCO! CLOVES! VANILLA!" at the top of its lungs. To be honest, though, after it settles down about three hours later, I find it quite enticing (but that is mostly because I like to imagine myself inside the aforementioned fantasy). Would I ever buy this? Probably not, but I will probably never need to--TV is so loud two drops out of my 4 ml sample lasts for days.

23 May, 2011

chet31's avatar

Initial notes are nice, although I get little vanilla, and even less tobacco. Spicy note on dry down gives way to a pleasant vanilla basenote. I would wear this in a pinch, but at this price, I would need to like it more than I do to purchase.

26 April, 2011

abdu2s's avatar

What i get out of this .

rich spices , like cinnamon i guess . it projects very well for the first hour , then the tobacco leaf joins the party with a creamy rich vanilla and cocoa , this is a really good fragrance , goes to the men side a bit , really leaves a great impression , every one will sniff you like crazy , zillion of people stopped me to ask about the scent.

after around 4 hours the vanilla and coco is the only thing that remains .

price: WORTH IT because not everyone should wear this greateness.

19 April, 2011

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Amusingly radiant and long lasting fragrance. Spray this more than four times, hit the crowd, and you're set for a few law suits against you.

But you know what? It smells irresistible. It's perhaps too loud even for my tastes (and I like strong stuff), but it smells good.
    Despite the high price it actually smells sort of cheap, like some ordinary, scented spicy-vanilla candle found in a super-market, and it obviously isn't composed with that much of a high end ingredients, but still...it smells good - I don't understand if you can disagree with me.

Fresh bitter-almond with the warm fruit-tarts at the top, enormous honeyed tobacco with a hint of a smoked cloves (medicinal, bitter, tea-like) in the middle, and a glowing but also, unfortunately, quite stuffy vanilla base.

But if you're into straightforward, sweet, strong and heavy honey-tobacco fragrances with a touch of smoke and gourmandies, I don't think anything can be more satisfying than this. And only 1 proper spray should do it.

29 March, 2011

dwrestle's avatar

Even though it is very sweet I still love it. I really can't detect hardly any tobacco though. I think it is probably my favorite unisex frag I have tried so far. I wish Tom Ford would take this, and reformulate it with way more tobacco, and call it Tom Ford blah blah for Men.

14 March, 2011

MarshallLaw's avatar

It has all been said. I must admit, sometimes I go to sleep with a little sprayed on my wrists. The sense of smell can have various effects on our sleep. This executes an evening luxurious sleep and when I wake up in the morning I can still smell a great deal of the dry down. I believe the tobacco keeps the longevity fluent.

My morning is just as pleasant until it is time for work and I apply another application of parfum and savor a new scent for the new day. To me this is part of the journey Tom Ford meant to share. While it is nice enough to through on a tux, it can provide serenity.

However, as a collector of niche fragrances, I feel ripped off. To me, this feels like a $69.99 scent I can get at Sephora. I recently was at Neiman's and had the opportunity to have a long conversation about this. We went through each scent. She asked me to layer several. This was very pleasant, but $190 for each bottle of each scent to layer is ridiculous. I might as well buy an Attar from Oman. At least then the execution would be honest. Don't get me wrong, I would layer if they were $69.99 but they aren't. Is Tom going to pay my rent?

28 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2011)

TwoWordReviews's avatar

Female. Catnip.

As careful readers may guess, this one is a beautiful blend of, say it with me, tobacco and vanilla. What the name doesn't reveal, however, is just what a beautiful cherry and pipeworthy tobacco this really is. The vanilla is, well, vanilla, but the tobacco puts the vanilla on its back and carries it straight to the bedroom. Where, by the way, it belongs.

This is a great one for those searching for a tobacco scent, but for a pure, straight-up tobacco, you may want to try Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio. While the Tobacco Vanille rates and rates well, Tabac Aurea is one of the best tobaccos to grace the fragrance world.

27 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2011)

OldSchoolCharm's avatar

Tobacco Vanille is one of the best fragrances of all time. It lasts 24+ hours on my skin.

The tobacco and vanilla is perfectly balanced. Tobacco Vanille is a warm, comforting scent. When I wear Tobacco Vanille I feel happy. There is no other fragrance like Tobacco Vanille. If you love it, you must buy Tobacco Vanille.

26 February, 2011

Nicolas V's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Probably the most nauseating perfume experience I've had since Serge Lutens' Miel de Bois. The opening was very delicious and boozy vanilla, very nice actually, but soon morphed into such a nauseatingly sweet scent that I actually became sick to my stomach. After two hours, I still didn't sense much tobacco to calm down the vanilla, and in the end reached for the baby wipes to scrub this one off.

Thumbs way down. Another BN hype monster.

12 February, 2011

diesel1990_01's avatar

I got sample from Neiman Marcus before I buy it .tobacco vanille smells like my gradpa after smoke a cigar. I just got the sample cuz i wanna combine with "Paco 1 million cologne" smells pretty tied .smells tobacco and sweet in the same time. I think I ma buy it

27 January, 2011

Neurosis's avatar

"A modern take on an old world men’s club. A smooth Oriental, TOBACCO VANILLE opens immediately with opulent essences of Tobacco Leaf and aromatic spice notes. The heart unfolds with creamy Tonka Bean, Tobacco Flower, Vanilla and Cocoa, and finishes with A Dry Fruit Accord, enriched with Sweet Wood Sap."

A simple yet complex taste of Heaven is more appropriate

Comes as a 50mL as a 250mL; prices are absurd I must say, as I'd never pay over $100 for a fragrance unless it floored me, but that's just me.

The notes on the actual Tom Ford site I find to be very accurate.

Opening: Spicy, tobacco leaf, and what smells like a sort of wine to me, that kind of dried semi-sweet fruity smell. You can tell there's vanilla but it doesn't exactly take the stage. As the top starts to decay, I actually get a sort of Dr. Pepper vibe, a favorite soda (cola, pop, etc.) of mine. Quite a nice surprise I recently discovered

Heart: Beauty in its sweetest form. The vanilla and cocoa push aside the spices and take the forefront. The spices remain as a background, which ads a nice twist to what may seem like a linear formula. The cocoa adds a gourmand-vibe to the heart, which when coupled with the vanilla? Let's just say if you've got a sweet tooth, try not to eat your arm I

Heart Deux: I actually find that this fragrance has four main stages. What I call the second heart shows up as remnants of the heart, but its not actually what I'd call a drydown. This stage is straight vanilla and some spices. I remember wearing this fragrance once, and thinking there were cupcakes in my house! Absolutely delicious!

Drydown: 12 hours later...The drydown shows up. The drydown to me shows a revival of the dried fruit smell in the opening, but it has a sweetness backing it up. The sweetness is part vanilla, but there's also something else, an atmosphere that reminds me of Chergui to a degree.

Longevity/Projection: I've heard that Amouage and other Eastern fragrances have crazy longevity. I haven't smelled those but Tobacco Vanille seems like it'd be at home there. I've had this last 24+ hours. To put that in perspective, A*Men is strong for 4 hours on mine and dies around 10 hours. TV will project extremely strong even after 24 hours. If you want longevity, here you go!

Versatility: The fatal flaw. God bless the poor son of a gun who wears this in the summer. You'll die, everyone you meet will die. I've worn this in 70 degree weather for the heck of it. It projects an atmosphere, forget a cloud! And you also feel...sticky? It doesn't actually get cloying, but you feel like you've got something glued onto your skin. WEAR IN THE WINTER ONLY PLEASE! (or in colder weather in general)

How to wear: Going along with when to wear this, you should avoid chest sprays. I've learned that spraying your arms, not your chest, helps tame the beast and makes it very pleasant. Two sprays on the chest with even some body heat will project and engulf you. Spraying on your arms gives more of a cloud, a pleasant one at that. I'm wearing four sprays on my arms now and I'm loving it. If i put four sprays on my chest I'd be hating it.

Price: Sucks. Get in on split if you don't want to fork out luxury prices. It's a great fragrance, but unless you've got the cash, it's so over priced.

Overall Impression: If you're a classy person or looking for a formal scent, here you go. It's pretty sweet though, so you've got to have a bit of a sweet tooth. Absolutely kicks the crap out of my old classy scent, John Varvatos. This stuff can make a dress shirt and tie seem like a suit. This makes a tux seem like you stole it from James Bond. I've never smelled something that just screams "GENTLEMAN!!!" like this, this being my own impression, some people will be finding it too sweet to be taken seriously. For me, with my sweet tooth, this is the essence of elegance.

Rating: 5/5 without a doubt. The second I put the first sample I ever had of this on, I knew this was a cut above the best. It envelopes you in a cloud of beauty and elegance. I hate to say stuff like this, as it's TOTALLY subjective, but this is the fragrance that makes me feel like the king of the world, it gives me some added confidence knowing that I'm wearing this. Next time I wear a tuxedo, I'll be wearing this. It smells amazing, it lasts until eternity; the main downfall is the price tag, but splits and decants can help you out there.

If you have a sweet tooth and want to smell like a king, Tobacco Vanille is your fragrance.

16 January, 2011

dgarner1013's avatar

I am new to the fragrance world, and Tobacco Vanille is partly responsible for my newfound interest. I read about TV in an article in Details while I was considering the purchase of a new fragrance (not knowing at the time, of course, that the prospect I had chosen had a cost equivalent to a low-grade PC). This led me to YouTube reviews and ultimately to the wealth of information that is Basenotes. This really is a great site and I want to thank everyone for their contributions.

So there is my introduction, now on to my review. I purchased a large decant of TV online because I couldn't justify a full retail blind buy of such a controversial fragrance at such an rediculous price. Initially, I was glad that I did.

The burst of aromatic spices caught me offguard, and I was reminded more of Christmas potporroui than something that could be considered a masculine fragrance. However, the aromatic spices were not alone for long. A sweet aroma of unlit pipe tobacco accompanies the spices and remains for hours. It is not until the drydown that the vanilla takes center stage, but the spices remain as a backdrop for the duration of this fragrance.

In my opinion, it is almost as though the top notes are dominated by the aromatic spices, the middle notes are dominated by the tobacco with the spices as a base in order to tame the tobacco notes, while the latter stages of the fragrance are dominated by vanilla with a base of spices to keep it from being too sweet. It really is an incredible fragrance.

As everyone else has stated, the longevity is incredible. I wear this to work (yes, against the advice of many BN'ers) and can clearly detect this scent at the end of the day with a single spray in the morning. It is expensive, but in my opinion, well worth the investment.

10th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2011)