Reviews of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

While Dior Homme Intense is my all time number 1 fragrance, Tobacco Vanille has one thing over it: the best example of well made vanilla in a fragrance. The name is self explanatory and yes, this is a very, very sweet fragrance; of course, that also means it's very easy to like (like a flawlessly made designer scent, with nuclear power and big price tag, but it's oh so good). The tobacco is noticeable, but it's not offensive and overly masculine. It's a perfect blend of the tobacco note along with the powerhouse vanilla note. While the tobacco is noticeable at the top the most, the vanilla soon takes over and this becomes an insanely great smelling, sweet vanilla scent, that easily lasts more than most fragrance offerings. Price is expensive for this (which is why I opted for a split of 50ml), but one spray of this beast would easily do the trick. It's simply very potent...but you know what? This might work great in the summer too! One spray of this on the chest and you will be smelling sweet and sexy all day long. Very crowd pleasing scent, very well made. If you are looking for vanilla, this is the one to try (easily beats even the upper end competition such as Spirituese Double Vanille).

17th May, 2012

Redbeard's avatar

The progression between the stages of this stuff was very slow for me last time, so I'll get through as much of it as I can today. Initially, I'd call it soda plus chocolate, with a vein of something fruit-based that provides a streak of coolness across the warm sweetness, at least for the first few minutes. I think there's both coffee and caramel, a slight nuttiness, and of course tobacco, and I actually like this phase quite a bit because I find there's enough earthiness and dust to cut the sweetness. It's a surprisingly masculine gourmand, and the soda/cola connotations here are OK by my standards because they're more like the cola-flavored Bottle Caps candy, sort of a toned down reference to cola. The overall smoothness of the mixture is rather remarkable, with nothing sticking out and the individual notes blurring into one another. Even the extreme sweetness, which might normally be suffocatingly heavy, stays restrained by the other components for now; it comes across as more of a liqueur sweetness (frangelico, kahlua, and bailey's?) than a candy sweetness. It risks being very potpourri-ish, and as much as I like potpourri, I worry that it would call to mind too many associations with your prim and proper aunt Georgina's elaborate Christmas decorations. Ultimately, the vanilla gets stronger and more insistent very slowly over many hours, and eventually ends up being a bit much for me as the earthier notes fade. A very interesting blend, but I agree that the first hour or two is what's worthwhile.

14th May, 2012

Dmotron's avatar

Smells kinda like root beer. Not saying its bad scent but not the best either. Longevity is a beast. Projection is a beast...gotta give a thumbs up for that.

06th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th May, 2012)

hreple's avatar

Sampled this fragrance now several times, and this is what I'm ending up with.

The first 30 minutes to one hour is great. Why? The tobacco-part dominates, keeping the absurd amount of vanilla at bay, displaying at least a whisper of masculinity and presence.

After that, it all goes horribly wrong for me. I'm treated to an explosion of vanilla, and it just doesn't want to quit it's extreme vanilla-game. It's overtly sweet, and I just can't deal with it, and find it extremely feminine.

I've also received numerous feedbacks on the fact that I smell less than masculine. Could it be a cultural thing? Yes, I suppose. It could also just be the fact that sweet vanilla just isn't very masculine, at least not for me.

I'm giving it a thumbs down because of the absurd price, and the fact that it way too quickly morphs into the vanilla monster from your sugary dreams. Even though, it's very well put together, and the longevity and projection is EXTREME!

If you really LOVE vanilla, go for this and never look back. If you, like me, came looking for tobacco, continue your search.

14th April, 2012

silentrich's avatar

Wasn't the home run I thought it would be and glad that I didn't go ahead and blind buy a full bottle. TV is a very heavy and syrupy fragrance that combines tobacco, vanilla, and spices that gives off a sweet potpourri smell. I believe there's a honey note or accord that really puts this into the sweet tooth category. Some compare this to Back to Black which in my opinion has a superior tobacco note, better balanced, and more representative of what a tobacco lover would want. If you love extremely sweet and heavy fragrances, this one might be for you. Otherwise sample this because it's not a fragrance that is going to suit everyone's tastes.

11th April, 2012

Samarkand's avatar

I smell like I was dipped in honey. Way too sweet for me.

12th March, 2012

Njtnjt's avatar

A loud scent for loud people and places. Smells like vanilla pipe tobacco. Smooth and extremely strong. The only fragrance I have ever worn that my wife could smell on me BEFORE she entered the room. She smelled it on me outside from 15 feet away on a breezy walk with our dog - 1 spray!

Extremely one dimensional, it just keeps projecting all day and all night without much change or evolution of any kind in the scent. At the 12 hour mark the one spray I had on today started to abate in strength to what I think was a tolerable level. Even then, my daughter smelled it from 10 feet away when she came home from school.

Not my cup of tea, not my idea of enchanting. More like thermonuclear war. I think it's well made for what it is - but I'll never wear it again.

10th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 24th March, 2012)

Sunsetspawn's avatar

"Attention, fragrance shoppers!

Take advantage of our penny fragrance sale.
    If you buy one bottle of fragrance at the regular price...

you'll get another bottle of fragrance of equal or lesser value for only a penny.
    Try and beat fragrance for a penny!
    If you can find cheaper fragrance anywhere, wear it!

Hey, what do we have approaching here?

A new flavour: apple pie fragrance."

When it finally dawned on me that TV smelled like apple pie a la mode, specifically with high quality vanilla ice cream, I thought of Cheech Marin's scene in From Dusk till Dawn.
    And that really is it. I'm certain that the intent behind this fragrance was to smell like apple pie. The tobacco is a faint whisper that only serves to enhance the apple pie spices. There also isn't much bass to it; it shrieks like a banshee without any darkness or woods. That's not to say there's no base, as the whole damn fragrance is a linear superbase.

The sillage and longevity on this on are off the meat hook, chain, scale, walls, and outta sight. If you like TV and buy a bottle you are absolutely getting more value per dollar than if you bought any run-of-the-mill designer fragrance, despite the high price tag. Two sprays would probably be too much for just about any occasion. I have a 1.5 ml sample, I've worn it 3 times, one of the times I went too far and it was nuclear, and I STILL have some left. So the price really shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

10th March, 2012

jamwires's avatar

Highly overrated. There, I said it.

I don't need to go too far into the note breakdown, but here's my deal with TV. It's big, thick and linear. When I heard about this fragrance, everyone spoke about this very straightforward tobacco/vanilla combination. I get that, and both notes are nicely done - but if I'm being 100% honest, it smells closer to a damn Christmas candle. And hey, Christmas candles smell pretty nice, but this is just too thick and linear for me.

Just my opinion, but if you want a straight-up vanilla with a hint of tobacco, check out Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

Tobacco Vanille overall rating: 6/10

05th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2012)

ftUK's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

just love it
    not for anyone who doesn't like tobacco. i don't like tobacco though but this one works really well. sort of a pleasant smell to my nose.

i think this is good rendition between vanilla and tobacco

03rd March, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd May, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Sillage monster blend of tobacco, cinnamon and vanilla that is dark, syrupy and delicious though lacking in real subtleness and sophistication. The note of tobacco adds a certain level of virile bitterness making contrast with some vanillic/almondy gourmand notes. A touch of chocolatey booziness swirls around. Almost irresistible the dry down in its warm and comforting embrace. In the same vein of Kilian Back to Black but not so well crafted.

27th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 09th October, 2012)

different-scents's avatar

I got my 4ml sample of Tobacco Vanille today, and out of the bottle I did not think I would like it AT ALL. Smells like the sweetest sweet imaginable, and I'm not a fan of sweet scents. I always prefer dark, woody, musky scents, which is also why I wanted to try this one so badly as a change of pace. And change of pace it is!

I actually enjoy it. I can't quite put my finger on what I enjoy about it.

Very spicy sweet like a pumpkin pie with too much nutmeg. I get almost no tobacco in here, which is somewhat unfortunate because I was hoping for more tobacco.

I'm unsure when I can wear this, but I'm sure I'll find a good time to try it out. I don't work in an office, but I could see it working well in that situation if you're an established employee. Definitely not for newbies.

There's been talk of layering TF scents, which I think this could work well as. Not sure what I will try layering it with, but I may report back here with an update in the future if I find something that works well for me.

I seriously just get vanilla and nutmeg. Perhaps what I'm picking up as nutmeg is actually amber, but it just reminds me too much of pumpkin pie with too much vanilla and too many spices. This could work around holidays or a nighttime date in cool weather. I am pretty sure if you wear this midday on a hot afternoon you will destroy the sniffers of everyone around you.

All I did was dab one tiny drop onto my fingtertip and rub it onto my wrist and it was MORE than enough.

I admittedly have just started trying niche products, but I find this very unique and unlike anything I have ever worn.

Do not blind buy! Get a quality sample like I did and then make up your mind. I actually got 2 x 4ml samples, and will likely resell one of the bottles. Even a small amount like 4 ml will last me a long time, especially since I plan to continue testing more and more scents over the coming months.

edit**update**: I repeat-- I cannot believe I love this stuff. I have always hated vanilla perfumes on women, yet here I am loving a vanilla based scent on myself. When I wear this scent it makes me happy, hungry, excited. I swear that I believe Tom Ford got lucky on this juice. I will happily enjoy my 8 ml, which should last me easily 2 years. I mentioned above that I think it is good for layering. I haven't actually layered it, but I wore it with both Burberry original and also Creed Erolfa-- both worked with VERY different scents.

I hate posting longggg diatribes in my reviews but allow me to explain. When I wore this with Burberry, I dabbed it on my wrists, the inside of my elbow, and bottom of my neck, then spritzed a couple sprays of Burberry around my chest and shoulders. Burbery, if you know, is spicy sweet, but woody, very different from Tobacco Vanille, yet they work together. I loved this combo.

Next day I dabbed Creed Erolfa in front and behind both ears, along my neckline, and then dabbed Tobacco Vanille on my wrists and inner elbow.

If you own these scents, I'd love to hear some feedback on the way I wore these scents. I could probably pull off Tobacco Vanille on its own, but I just feel it works better in combination with something else.

Thanks for reading.

18th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2012)

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Easily the sweetest thing I own. I managed to avoid the sweet-tooth craving for years. But I finally got sucked into the twice-as-much-for-a-bit-more concept and am now stuck with a gargantuan bottle, so I really hope that I continue to like this for the rest of my life… or several lives.

Regardless of whether or not this swooning will last forever, I disagree with all of the negative reviews screaming that the vanilla overpowers the tobacco. This is honeyed tobacco, maybe some bitter almond, and certainly dried fruit with a touch of spice - many of which do carry a vanilla character. Throwing in a healthy dose of more vanilla does sweeten it up considerably, but never silences the tobacco. Far from smelling like cheap Vanilla Extract, the ambient humidor vibe, without any hint of the smoked stuff or its ashy remains, is beautiful. Linear, perhaps even cloying, but beautiful.

When it becomes old-hat, don't discount its talent as a mid-winter base (layered, I mean) for other fragrances benefiting from a full-bodied gourmand injection. For more tobacco in the same honeyed-leaf vein but able to counteract some for the sweetness, I like adding a bit of Abdes Salaam's Tabac to the mix.

13th February, 2012

Primrose's avatar

I so wanted to love Tobacco Vanille, as I enjoy sweet tobacco scents. It goes on as a warm, sweet tobacco and vanilla--what is on on the tin is in the contents.

In the end, on me, I got mostly a warm amber and vanilla with less of the tobacco.

I give this a thumbs up if you like more vanilla than tobacco, as some do.

I adore the Tuscan Leather in this line, but will find my sweet tobacco elsewhere in other scents:

By Killian Back to Black
    Costamor Tabacca
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

EDIT: I also bought Tobacco Vanille to add to my tobacco lineup

05th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2012)

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

This is not an everyday scent for me, maybe because the weather here isn`t always cold. Tobacco Vanille has heavy main notes that get pretty intense on hot days, distorting the harmony of its aroma. On colder days, though, is a cozy combination of honey, spicy tobacco and vanilla. I get first the honey aroma, slightly spicy, then the vanilla and at last a leafy and woody tobacco note. At the past i used to love it more, today i think it should be more interesting if you had more notes to improve its dynamic througout its evolution on skin (which is also a reason i wouldn`t wear it everyday, it seems a little bit tiresome).

19th January, 2012

Mandella's avatar

I had sprayed on Addict earlier in the day, and decided to swatch my wrist with TV when I was running out the door.Talk about Clash of the Titans!I digress....
    TV is a comforting smell but has always been a jumbled gourmet to my novice nose. I could detect honey, tobacco, vanilla, and something slightly bitter, but didn't know what to make of them. Since I had a pack of cigarettes nearby, I used them as reference, Et voila, TV smells like Vanilla Marlboros! Or more accurately, TV sells of fine tobacco,and high quality vanilla.Love it!

10th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2012)

Lobster2010's avatar

England England

At first I wasn't impressed, but I have learnt to allow a fragrance to develop and boy did I learn.

Take the softest smelling tobacco leaf and wrap it around a heated vanilla stick and allow them to fuse slowly while sprinkling down a gentle concoction of spices and brown sugar.

The tobacco burns out a little quicker but allows a smoked out beautiful vanilla take over your realm.

It is another poetic fragrance.

(personal hint : perhaps add just a little dab of Tuscan Leather to really stand out)

07th January, 2012

Oproust's avatar

I've been on a sweet tobacco binge lately and Tobacco Vanille does not help me break this fixation. TV is a simple but great tobacco scent. Simple and to the point. Nothing real complicated or complex here. The opening is strong tobacco, cigar-like. TV is different than Pure Havane which is a smooth, cherry tobacco. Shortly into its progression, TV takes on a tobacco-tonka-spicy accord that helps restrain the tobacco from going too far for my nose to enjoy. When the vanilla and cacao drydown takes hold, I know this is a fragrance I can fall in love with. TV is a gourmand with a spicy tobacco disposition that won't leave you alone in a swirling blue haze of smoke. It may leave you in a blue haze with a stranger's snout planted firmly in your neck. No, that is not a vampire sniffing your neck, it's someone you really want to know.

16th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th December, 2011)

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

wmim said it right. Although I prefer the Wayfarer... I get why many say it's not worth the money but if you like this the way I do, no price tag will stop you.

16th December, 2011

dollars&scents's avatar

Tabacco Vanille by Tom Ford - In the opening, one is majically transported to an established, tabacconist shop, with its delightful explosion of varied scents from its myriad of apothecary jars, and a concomitant assortment of fragrant spices. The initial slap of tabacco scales down to a pleasing level. From afar, a creamy vanilla beckons this mishmash to join the party of the heart. Here, the comforting vanilla along with the smooth tonka bean brew with the dry tabacco, and imparts its delectable sweetness. A faint, lovely floral - tabacco flower - pirouettes here and there, and a delectable scent of cocoa occasionally peeks through. The buff base rears and pulls the vanilla concoction into its pungent, fruity accords and syrupy, sweet wood sap, adding finishing touches to the vanilla star. This rich composition has superior longevity and very good projection.

21st November, 2011

spirit966's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Really like this scent as it is comforting, ambery and soothing.

It is a very sweet gourmand and I do agree that the vanilla here is not the best around.

But the cinnamon and tobacco + the vanilla really is a soothing masculine concoction.

I don't agree that this smells like Spiriteous Double Vanille. Yes they both do vanilla. But this is more about cinnamon, tobacco (pipe tobacco), and warm vanilla with a little bit of a raisin and eggnog (honey) note during the first few hours. Spiriteous Double Vanille starts very boozy and ends with a vanilla icecream accord.

08th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th January, 2012)

baudilus's avatar

I don't know if I'm alone in this feeling, but it smelled like prunes to me, with a faint hint of vanilla and an even fainter hint of tobacco. It was not unpleasant, but for the price I was expecting something more wow.

03rd November, 2011

wmim's avatar

One of my favorites. Let's see... Open a fresh box of Cuban cigars with a vanilla accent and bottle it. World travel, aviator sunglasses, linen suit, black leather duffle bag, Lincoln town car, mirror table top, low ceilings, wallpaper, cocaine mixer, dimmed lights and a super model. That's the vibe of TV. All business and I hope it stays unknown to most.

27th October, 2011

orangefiction's avatar

Christmas/ fruit cake smell. I didn't like this at first because it is too strong. But just use a little and it will smell great.

22nd September, 2011

cal725's avatar

England England

This is easily one of my favourite scents. I could see it being worn by anyone from young to old. The notes that dominate through the whole fragrance, to my nose, are honey and vanilla. I can't smell tobacco at all. It projects well for the first 4-6 hours and altogether lasts well over 12 on my skin. I think a man or a woman could pull this off. Tobacco Vanille is best suited for a date or a cuddle with your girl/boyfriend, in my opinion, and possibly for clubbing. The only downside is that since it is one of Tom Ford's 'Private Blend' fragrances, it is very expensive, the smallest size bottle (50ml) sells for £120.

22nd September, 2011

sacredsystem's avatar

A sensual and inviting fragrance that is more than just tobacco and vanilla. The more you wear it, the more you realize how deep and complex this gem really is. Simply delicious! Tom Ford's Private Collection is simply fantastic.

09th September, 2011

sr_dedo's avatar

Spain Spain

It's a great fragance, when you wear it the sillage it's a bomb and people smell around you asking for the fragance...What's your perfum...??!!
    Expensive....? maybe but when you r wearing you feel great, as your fragance ;)

23rd August, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I absolutely love this fragrance. A complete masterpiece in my opinion!

Just making things short: honey, vanilla and tobacco never were so good on my skin, and this combination stays and projects forever!

A MUST TRY for anyone who loves sweet fragrances.

21st August, 2011

drseid's avatar

As many others have said, this fragrance smells exactly like the name... Tobacco and Vanilla. I have found it to have above average longevity on my skin, but below average silage. The scent is nice to be sure, but I think it is the association I made of it smelling just like a Las Vegas casino that really hooked me in (as I *love* Vegas). Nothing groundbreaking or complex here, just a great natural smelling 3.5 star out of 5 casino scent.

17th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th December, 2012)

blood-orange's avatar

Well, what can I possibly say to describe this amazing fragrance that hasn't already been said?

To me, Tobacco Vanille is sex in a bottle. This fragrance seems to be edible, however I wouldn't classify it as a gourmand.

I've grown up surrounded by the scent of tobacco, however I am never repulsed by it. The smokiness of the scent seems to be a comforting medium for me. When combined with the rich vanilla in this fragrance, the tobacco really takes on that soothing feel. It feels rather 'homey'.

The scent is very strong at first, very rich and tobacco-y. If you've ever smelt a packet of cigarettes you'll find that they have a slight raisin type smell. This certain smell has been emulated in Tobacco Vanille's opening.

The vanilla is sweet, yet not too sweet. This is certainly something that would smell amazing on both men and women, a true unisex fragrance.

Expensive, yet well worth the money spent. Tobacco Vanille has amazing sillage strength and lasting power. I'm talking in terms of days. Since this is the only fragrance from Tom Ford's line that I've tried, I am very interested in testing them all.

07th August, 2011