Reviews of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Grottola's avatar

I've changed my mind - this is getting to be all about honey and less about tobacco on me.

10th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Dummy-gummy, this hurts my tummy. It is very vanilla-centric from the outset. A sugar cookie with a few spices. So incredibly sweet that it is toothache-inducing. I detect a bright, almost metallic note, like ginger ale in a tin cup. Also there are hints of cocoa. I get a bit of tobacco, in a humidor style. This is so sweet, I can’t say that it is very sophisticated. Much more a gourmand scent than a tobacco scent.

07 December, 2010

HDS1963's avatar

I'd read the reviews of this and had anticipated it greatly.

I can honestly say this is awful and I don't know what the fuss is about. I absolutely love tobacco based fragrances and own a fair few. But dear God, all you get is an overpowering tobacco and a dreadful amped up vanilla that is sooo sweet it rots your teeth.

After half an hour I had to wash it off, it was turning my stomach.

I could live a lifetime and happily never smell this again. In fact, I just might.

07 December, 2010

Missy's avatar

I was looking forward to trying this and had high hopes. Instead I smell like my grandfather used to smell when he was alive, rest his soul. He was a pipe smoker for over 70 years and that is exactly how I smell while wearing this fragrance. The tobacco smell dominates all the other notes and for the whole day- at least for me it does.

I much prefer Guerlain's SDV to Tobacco Vanille. Of course, perfume is such a personal affair and what one individual loves another might hate so while my experience with this Tom Ford fragrance is less than positive another's might be amazing.

06 December, 2010

suburbanites's avatar

I've really struggled with this scent, having given it several samplings and all-day wearings to render a decision. There are times when I've been indifferent to the aroma, and others when it's really been terribly disappointing. Foremost, if your expectation is a warm tobacco aroma, it will be difficult to distinguish from the very overpowering influence of vanilla from top to base. This is not a subtle vanilla by any means, but a very cloying, confectionary vanilla that has exceptional longevity and dominates the fragrance. It is very linear, barely transforming over the course of hours, mild sillage but exceptional longevity. It would appear that the intent of the fragrance was to evoke a memory of scented pipe tobacco. Unfortunately, it evoked food to me and anyone around me who could smell it -- "cookies" was one word used to describe it, "cheap vanilla extract" another. Not what I wanted having really desired something closer to Creed Vintage Tabarome's very mellowed tobacco. There are a number of Tom Ford Private Collection fragrances that I enjoy, but this is one that I certainly wouldn't recommend both on price and its aromatic composition. This missed the mark for me.

02 December, 2010

kayley123's avatar

Whoops, have to edit/revise my description...I DO notice the fragrance develop over time, I wasn't paying close attention before.
    Starts out with lots of vanilla, tonka bean,
    then quickly to tobacco
    then spice (a burst...cinnamon?)
    then add a little dry fruit
    then a little cocoa....actually the cocoa is enough, would NOT want more.

13 August, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

This is the sexiest fragrance I have ever smelled. This combination of tobacco and vanilla makes it masculine but sweet at the same time. I have to get this.

22 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2010)

manicboy's avatar

Not very original but it's fabulous. Take two already great-smelling ingredients and put them together for one big accord. And it's huge. The tobacco hits you at first blast and is joined with dried fruits (prunes, figs). The tobacco is more leaf than pipe to my nose as I get no smoke from this brew. Imagine a dark and dank cellar of yesteryear where tobacco and fruits are left to dry out. The vanilla creeps in to blend marvelously with the tobacco. At times, it smells like powdery cocoa and honey. Lasts forever and a day. A 50ml bottle will last a lifetime. Tommy's best by far.

24 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2010)

The_Cologneist's avatar

With all the people hyping this one up lately, I went into my tin of decants to give it another try.. and I must say.. I'm far more impressed than ever. Of course the projection, sillage and longevity are amazing, but now I'm getting new aromas.

It's like a field of tobacco leaves dipped in vanilla syrup was set on fire, and burning. Maybe a burning vanilla candle as somebody mentioned before. I kind of smell like a toasted coconut/marshmallow thing as it dries down a little. It's gourmand but not completely devoted to being gourmand, it's kind of a more gentlemanly sophisticated gourmand/tobacco blend. This stuff is also incredibly thick, rich and potent. Excellent.

But, is it worth the price? To me, no. I'm too used to a thriftier budget when it comes to fragrances, I feel disgusted with myself if I spend 60-80 bucks on one.. nonetheless 170-250!? Jesus Tom Ford, how much are you making marketing some of your stuff. As good as it is, there are far too many other fragrances I can find to tickle my tobacco an vanilla fancy. And, while this stuff may be high quality, I don't think any fragrance is worth such a price.

12 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2010)

crazyoney2k's avatar

MY FAVORITE!!!! it reminds me of old fashioned gentlemans clubs very masculine yet very sexy i was more scents were like this one!!! the only draw back is that its expensive in england its £110 for 50 ml

11th April, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

I was looking forward to my sampling of this, but Tobacco Vanille had heavy competition which it usually doesn't when it's hanging out at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. I had it up against Fumerie Turque, Back to Black, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, and Amber Russe. What a duke out. Well the champion of smokey tobacco for me is Fumerie Turque. If I need more vanilla that's easy to throw in the mix. Even throw something like A*Men on top. Fumerie begs to be layered on. Tobacco Vanille? I guess so, but it doesn't really give what I want from the tobacco side. So I picked up CBIHatePerfume's Pipe Tobacco Accord for cheap, and that isolates the tobacco accord to whatever I want with. Next up, Spiritueuse Double Vanille is probably the closest competition to Tom Ford's, and I think its done better - it's better balanced and less sweet. Back to Black is the most mellow out of the bunch, has very little vanilla, has none of the overly sweetness, and employs some feminine oriental spices on the top - if that's your kind of thing. Lastly, Amber Russe has the tobacco blast, but warmed by Amber not Vanilla, and as similarly sweet as Amber Russe is to Tobacco Vanille, I think it's far smoother, without the cloying sweetness, and the dry down with Russe puts Tobacco Vanille to shame.

23 March, 2010

AntFarmer's avatar

I have a total crush on Tobacco Vanille. I received a sample of it, and upon first spray I literally blushed and giggled when I smelled my wrist. It made me imagine Johnny Depp's character from "Crybaby" staring at me intensely from the back of Home Economics class. This is the exact kind of smoke I have been looking for--it adds an air of raw and captivating masculinity, but the vanilla tempers it back into being unisex. This is one of the most truly gender-neutral scents I have worn. Although the sillage isn't that great on my skin (fades to a plain honey aroma within two hours), I spray it on my clothes and I feel like I am the female version of James Dean. I fantasize about buying a full bottle of this and making it my signature scent.

12 March, 2010

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Do you love the smell of unsmoked dark vanilla pipe tobacco?
    So do I, and this ain't it.
    I'm not sure if I agree most with Asha's description of lovely spiced cookie dough or Stereotomy''s vanilla scented candle, but I understand the thumbs up from both reviewers and if i ever wish to smell like either description, I know where to find it.
    There are high quality tobacco scents that convey precisely what they're aiming for ( dry leaves being cured in Tabac Auera for example) but as for the scent of an unsmoked dark vanilla pipe tobacco, I give up!

In a book of Japanese incense, whose name I can't for the life of me remember, the author mentioned the custom in ancient Japan of wearing a satchel or pouch of wood shavings of Kyara or Sandalwood in the inside pocket of a kimono--or was it a neck pouch? Those crazy samurai!

Unless someone suggests an alternative, this may be the only way to go for the scent. Stop at your friendly tobacconist's shop.

14 December, 2009

Asha's avatar

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Notes: Spicy Note, Aromatic Note, Tobacco, Tonka Bean, Tobacco Leaf, Tobacco Flower, Vanilla, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Sap (from osmoz.com)

I was prepared to dislike Tobacco Vanille. It has received so much hype in the online communities, and is so brashly marketed, I honestly thought that nothing could live up to TV's reputation. Well, I am eating my words now, almost literally, as TV is an extremely well-done gourmand fragrance. On first spray, it has a lovely spiced cookie dough effect, with a combination of spices that seems a bit like the blend normally used for gingerbread, i.e., ginger, cinnamon, clove and allspice. Sweetening up this accord is a good quality vanilla which shies away from what would typically be found in a kitchen, and smells much more complex, woody, boozy and a little bit powdery. Woods and resins, also make TV a bit less edible, and are welcome additions to the vanilla and spice. The strangest thing, though, is that I really do not smell any tobacco. Vanilla by itself often has a bit of a tobacco quality, so it is not really such a stretch. Even though high quality tobacco is aged with botanicals, or treated with flavor chemicals, I definitely do not get a flavored tobacco impression from TV. For me, it sits squarely into the "kitchen aroma after you've cooked something both sweet and savory" category. The drydown is a bit less foody, and is really just a vanilla-heavy, labdanum-based amber, less alluring than Tom Ford's own Amber Absolute, but still extremely fetching. I am not sure this would be full bottle worthy, because the fragrance is actually quite one dimensional and linear. However, TV is a single-idea fragrance that is so deep and wide that a person can spend a lot of time contemplating it.

05 December, 2009

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Let me start this by saying I think Tom Ford is a strange, obnoxious, and unwarrantedly-arrogant person. However, in some limited applications, his sense of taste is appreciable. i especially appreciate the packaging of his fragrance line, but this is of absolutely no importance in judging the scents themselves. i find his fragrance line to be vastly overpriced for it's overall scent-quality, and many of the woody scents I find really uninspired and heelchasing of niche trends, seemingly without much foresight or concern for how history will Judge. With that said, Tobacco vanille is the one scent i think will be judged quite well many years from now.

The first whiff of sillage basically smells like a heavy does of unburned clove cigarettes, but that quickly gives way to a delicious pipe tobacco and nilla wafers. this is a very strong scent, which needs only a very light application to be noticed by others in the room.

While a light application smells natural, a heavy application, within minutes, will expose itself as far too synthetic for it's price range. The tobacco note is a very nice one, but i can't help but find the synthetic vanilla and spices to smell too much like the genericly transparent "vanilla/coconut auto freshener sprays", especially it smells transparent and synthetic in warm weather, rendering it useless for me except for fall and winter.

With all that said, i still like the scent, and own it.
    It is my sweetest and most gourmand scent, and despite it's cocoa and marshmallow notes, I still find it just barely masculine enough to wear, unlike Guerlain's SDV or any of the other scents with Vanilla in their title. One scent that this does share some similarity with besides the guerlain, is the drydown of L'Occitane's Eav Des bavx. So I would recommend everyone looking to buy Tobacco Vanille to test that one and see if it's woody/spicy/incense notes, which render it a far more masculine scent than Tobacco vanille, produce an effect that makes the heavy tonka/vanilla they both share more palatable and wearable.

On the flipside, for readers desiring a more feminine scent with similar sweetness and unbeatable longevity/sillage, try Tom Ford's Black Orchid, these two scents definitely share several strong diffusive basenotes, although the overall impression is different. I think Black Orchid is one of my favorite gourmands on females, whereas Tobacco vanille is one of the only gourmands I could wear myself.

I would rate it neutral due to it's price pint being so vastly over it's quality, but I try to avoid factoring in any other factor besides the scent itself into my final judgement, so this is a thumbs up. Tom Ford's best.

notes:
    Spice notes, Aromatic notes, Dried Fruits, Cocoa Powder, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Pipe Tobacco, Tobacco Leaf, Tobacco Flower, Wood Sap

30th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

Top notes are a wonderfully natural smelling vanilla, reminiscent of the kind used for fine cooking. Within seconds (literally), the tobacco note comes through - also extremely authentic, like opening a bag of fresh pipe tobacco. It is rich, somewhat spicy, and a tad leathery. The tobacco smells a little cinnamon-y, in a delightful way. I wouldn't wear this in the summer (especially during the day), but it should be suitable for gentlemen at most other times - assuming whoever you are with can also appreciate tobacco. Honestly, it smells less like a personal fragrance (or "cologne"), than it does just like you are carrying around pockets full of rich tobacco. Which personally, I like. My only wish is that the vanilla stayed on board a little longer, as it fades rather quickly and gets dominated by the tobacco. Good longevity, moderate sillage.

28 November, 2009

L'Aventurier's avatar

Tobacco, black tea and vanilla. That's about it.

While I loved it at first sniff, Tobacco Vanille now makes me yawn of boredom due to it's linear (and lack of) evolution. I also hate the synthetic black tea note in it - I find myself getting annoyed of smelling the exact same thing for hours on end - like a song that was good at first, but once you hear it on the radio for the 5th time in an hour you're fed up of it. Not much else to say here, but that TV is also overpriced and smells a bit like a candle. Sorry guys, I'm just not feeling this one.

I much prefer Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille - now that's a fragrance with quality, evolution and great blending. Even though there's no tobacco in SDV, it still reminds me of vanilla pipe tobacco and gets top honors for being my favorite pipe-tobacco-style fragrance. SDV is less sweet than TV and it's not even close to being as cloying or annoying as Tobacco Vanille.

15 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

Jack's avatar

I just got the sample today and was exactly what I’m looking for. I will be treating myself to a bottle of this in a few days. I don’t think its to sweet, but I like sweet scents like original santal.

13 October, 2009

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Very nice, with a dose of classiness. Even though it is unisex, could pass more as a masculine scent...because of tobacco, of course.

13 October, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

For the first 15 minutes all I got was dried preserved prunes - the sort you'd find in Chinatown, sold in large packets with the prunes individually wrapped in paper. We call these preservatives 'buah kanna'. (Hey, maybe Tom Ford was eating some while sifting through dried tobacco leaves and somehow drew an inspiration!) Anyway fun facts aside, when the tobacco finally arrives, its presence is unmistakable. Loads of dry unlit tobacco leaves here, playing up an evocative note which probably reminds many of the men in their lives. This aspect of a scent normally wins my vote. However, considering the line's exclusivity and price point, I find TOBACCO VANILLE's linearity and simplicity too uninspiring that eating some buah kana seems to be the more satisfying option. Strictly for tobacco lovers.

12 October, 2009

street_a_licious's avatar

Austria Austria

it smells like...... honey tea to me. basically LOTS of honey, warm honey, only honey.

i like honey, i sure do, but i wouldn't pay for this.

01st October, 2009

DreamerII's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Tobacco vanille is everything I want a perfect scent to be - warm, deep, thick, cozy, natural smelling, perfectly blended, emotional, mysterious.

29 September, 2009

Jack Hunter's avatar

A sublime scent that really does smell like a unlit tobacco pipe or sweet tobacco in a tobacconist.

The vanilla and tobacco walk hand in hand and never overpower each other. The longevity and sillage are great I get about 16 hours out of this frag.

This is though a cold weather scent and is cloying in the hot weather and be wary of hot enclosed spaces. A great comfort scent.

24 September, 2009

tvlampboy's avatar

Chergui wth more tobacco and slightly lower quality vanilla. For the price difference, get the Chergui and then smoke a pack of cigarettes.

09 September, 2009

TropiRock's avatar

Boy, oh boy - my first review and I have to be very neutral about this expensive fragrance. I would have given a thumbs down, but didn't want to be such a naysayer in my pilot review. So what to say? Although I have worn colognes for many, many years, I never gave much thought to individual notes of which the fragrance is comprised, but rather looked at the "big picture". I either like the smell or I don't. Tobacco Vanille, on my skin, is too sweet to be masculine. The combination of vanilla and tobacco definitely produces an odor reminiscent of vanilla-flavored tobaccos that were popular during the 80's. Maybe still, I don't know. After a few hours, the scent began to morph and started to remind me of some other familiar smell. Hmmm...let's see, what is it? Then it hit me: it smells like freshly prepared banana pudding! (For those of you who may not be familiar, banana pudding is a dessert staple in the southeastern U.S. and has a huge vanilla scent). Don't get me wrong, I love banana pudding, but I draw the line at smearing it on my body as a fragrance. I love a nice, juicy steak, too, but....well, you get the picture. Now if Tom Ford slapped a layer of meringue on top of that Tobacco Vanille, I might consider eating a bowlful. Oops - forgot about the price - better make that a spoonful. One more thing: this is definitely a long-lasting fragrance, but I wouldn't necessarily consider longevity to be a plus for this particular juice.

03 September, 2009

jimmyfresno's avatar

I am finding the Tom Ford line rather clumsy. The fragrances seem to find a favorite student in the class and look at no one else. For examle, the Oud Wood in this line is cedar heavy and too camphorous to allow the artificial oud to peek its head through. Similarly, the Tobacco Vanille is very heavy handed on typical sweet amber, which overwhelms the beautiful fruity floral nuances of true cured tobacco can have.

This fragrance does not develop into anything noteworthy other than a sweet amber vanilla confection in the middle notes and drydown, with maybe some tobacco drowned somewhere in the glop. I suppose a half spritz would be a great layer for a very dry wood fragrance, but why not plunk the $200 down on something created by a nose who knows what he or she is dealing with? Shame for the price and presumed snootiness that this line seems to want us to buy into.

12 July, 2009

derekp's avatar

Reviewing this one is almost pointless, because it's so aptly named that if it's title is appealing to you, then likely so too will be the fragrance. It's a pretty simple scent but not without depth - it cuts to the chase rather quickly I mean. I think I pick up a hint of cinnamon on top of the two main notes. Sillage is just right on my skin, and it lasts like few others. I'm not sure if it's an every day scent or appropriate for the summer, but I do look forward to getting more and finding out.

29 June, 2009

AnthonyDG's avatar

Well the longevity and sillage were absolutely unbelievable on me. Linear, yes.. but one tiny spray from a small atomizer and I was good to go for 16+ hours. This is so rare for me - in fact I'd say that 99% of fragrances don't last anything close to as long as TV on my skin.

You have to be a vanilla fan (tonka bean) to enjoy this - no doubt about it. There was mention of the vanilla scented candles that I could relate to a bit, though the vanilla in TV is of higher quality and doesn't smell nasty, though it does smell synthetic.

Price isn't absurd when you consider one.. TWO small sprays at most.. will last you as long as TV does. Probably my favorite from the Tom Ford Private Blend. I can see it really shining in colder weather. In warmer weather this fragrance was a total turn-off. Somebody I knew who sampled it described it as "dirty vanilla". After the last time I wore it I'm forced to agree. This is one I did a total 180 on and won't be returning to.

27 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2010)

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Vanilla scented candle. There is not much tobacco in this scent, as it is dominated by sweet, syrupy honey and vanille, with tobacco in a supporting role in the background.

19 May, 2009

itsthepens's avatar

as others have said, very linear tobacco and vanilla! but VERY well done. the tobacco note is absolutely divine, and the vanilla is a perfect bedfellow, blending almost seamlessly with it. a dried fruit note is also in the mix, somewhere between cherries and figs and prunes, it has been said that this smells like cherry pipe tobacco and that's very true - but there is no smokiness - this is warm, moist, unsmoked cherry tobacco.

beautifully recreated notes, masculine yet warm and sweet, enduring (19-20 hours) and great sillage, if you love it on first sniff (like i did) then that's all you need to know.

16 May, 2009