Reviews of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

MarshallLaw's avatar

It has all been said. I must admit, sometimes I go to sleep with a little sprayed on my wrists. The sense of smell can have various effects on our sleep. This executes an evening luxurious sleep and when I wake up in the morning I can still smell a great deal of the dry down. I believe the tobacco keeps the longevity fluent.

My morning is just as pleasant until it is time for work and I apply another application of parfum and savor a new scent for the new day. To me this is part of the journey Tom Ford meant to share. While it is nice enough to through on a tux, it can provide serenity.

However, as a collector of niche fragrances, I feel ripped off. To me, this feels like a $69.99 scent I can get at Sephora. I recently was at Neiman's and had the opportunity to have a long conversation about this. We went through each scent. She asked me to layer several. This was very pleasant, but $190 for each bottle of each scent to layer is ridiculous. I might as well buy an Attar from Oman. At least then the execution would be honest. Don't get me wrong, I would layer if they were $69.99 but they aren't. Is Tom going to pay my rent?

28th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th March, 2011)

TwoWordReviews's avatar

Female. Catnip.

As careful readers may guess, this one is a beautiful blend of, say it with me, tobacco and vanilla. What the name doesn't reveal, however, is just what a beautiful cherry and pipeworthy tobacco this really is. The vanilla is, well, vanilla, but the tobacco puts the vanilla on its back and carries it straight to the bedroom. Where, by the way, it belongs.

This is a great one for those searching for a tobacco scent, but for a pure, straight-up tobacco, you may want to try Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio. While the Tobacco Vanille rates and rates well, Tabac Aurea is one of the best tobaccos to grace the fragrance world.

27th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th April, 2011)

OldSchoolCharm's avatar

Tobacco Vanille is one of the best fragrances of all time. It lasts 24+ hours on my skin.

The tobacco and vanilla is perfectly balanced. Tobacco Vanille is a warm, comforting scent. When I wear Tobacco Vanille I feel happy. There is no other fragrance like Tobacco Vanille. If you love it, you must buy Tobacco Vanille.

26th February, 2011

Nicolas V's avatar

Probably the most nauseating perfume experience I've had since Serge Lutens' Miel de Bois. The opening was very delicious and boozy vanilla, very nice actually, but soon morphed into such a nauseatingly sweet scent that I actually became sick to my stomach. After two hours, I still didn't sense much tobacco to calm down the vanilla, and in the end reached for the baby wipes to scrub this one off.

Thumbs way down. Another BN hype monster.

12th February, 2011

diesel1990_01's avatar

I got sample from Neiman Marcus before I buy it .tobacco vanille smells like my gradpa after smoke a cigar. I just got the sample cuz i wanna combine with "Paco 1 million cologne" smells pretty tied .smells tobacco and sweet in the same time. I think I ma buy it

27th January, 2011

Neurosis's avatar

"A modern take on an old world men’s club. A smooth Oriental, TOBACCO VANILLE opens immediately with opulent essences of Tobacco Leaf and aromatic spice notes. The heart unfolds with creamy Tonka Bean, Tobacco Flower, Vanilla and Cocoa, and finishes with A Dry Fruit Accord, enriched with Sweet Wood Sap."

A simple yet complex taste of Heaven is more appropriate

Comes as a 50mL as a 250mL; prices are absurd I must say, as I'd never pay over $100 for a fragrance unless it floored me, but that's just me.

The notes on the actual Tom Ford site I find to be very accurate.

Opening: Spicy, tobacco leaf, and what smells like a sort of wine to me, that kind of dried semi-sweet fruity smell. You can tell there's vanilla but it doesn't exactly take the stage. As the top starts to decay, I actually get a sort of Dr. Pepper vibe, a favorite soda (cola, pop, etc.) of mine. Quite a nice surprise I recently discovered

Heart: Beauty in its sweetest form. The vanilla and cocoa push aside the spices and take the forefront. The spices remain as a background, which ads a nice twist to what may seem like a linear formula. The cocoa adds a gourmand-vibe to the heart, which when coupled with the vanilla? Let's just say if you've got a sweet tooth, try not to eat your arm I

Heart Deux: I actually find that this fragrance has four main stages. What I call the second heart shows up as remnants of the heart, but its not actually what I'd call a drydown. This stage is straight vanilla and some spices. I remember wearing this fragrance once, and thinking there were cupcakes in my house! Absolutely delicious!

Drydown: 12 hours later...The drydown shows up. The drydown to me shows a revival of the dried fruit smell in the opening, but it has a sweetness backing it up. The sweetness is part vanilla, but there's also something else, an atmosphere that reminds me of Chergui to a degree.

Longevity/Projection: I've heard that Amouage and other Eastern fragrances have crazy longevity. I haven't smelled those but Tobacco Vanille seems like it'd be at home there. I've had this last 24+ hours. To put that in perspective, A*Men is strong for 4 hours on mine and dies around 10 hours. TV will project extremely strong even after 24 hours. If you want longevity, here you go!

Versatility: The fatal flaw. God bless the poor son of a gun who wears this in the summer. You'll die, everyone you meet will die. I've worn this in 70 degree weather for the heck of it. It projects an atmosphere, forget a cloud! And you also feel...sticky? It doesn't actually get cloying, but you feel like you've got something glued onto your skin. WEAR IN THE WINTER ONLY PLEASE! (or in colder weather in general)

How to wear: Going along with when to wear this, you should avoid chest sprays. I've learned that spraying your arms, not your chest, helps tame the beast and makes it very pleasant. Two sprays on the chest with even some body heat will project and engulf you. Spraying on your arms gives more of a cloud, a pleasant one at that. I'm wearing four sprays on my arms now and I'm loving it. If i put four sprays on my chest I'd be hating it.

Price: Sucks. Get in on split if you don't want to fork out luxury prices. It's a great fragrance, but unless you've got the cash, it's so over priced.

Overall Impression: If you're a classy person or looking for a formal scent, here you go. It's pretty sweet though, so you've got to have a bit of a sweet tooth. Absolutely kicks the crap out of my old classy scent, John Varvatos. This stuff can make a dress shirt and tie seem like a suit. This makes a tux seem like you stole it from James Bond. I've never smelled something that just screams "GENTLEMAN!!!" like this, this being my own impression, some people will be finding it too sweet to be taken seriously. For me, with my sweet tooth, this is the essence of elegance.

Rating: 5/5 without a doubt. The second I put the first sample I ever had of this on, I knew this was a cut above the best. It envelopes you in a cloud of beauty and elegance. I hate to say stuff like this, as it's TOTALLY subjective, but this is the fragrance that makes me feel like the king of the world, it gives me some added confidence knowing that I'm wearing this. Next time I wear a tuxedo, I'll be wearing this. It smells amazing, it lasts until eternity; the main downfall is the price tag, but splits and decants can help you out there.

If you have a sweet tooth and want to smell like a king, Tobacco Vanille is your fragrance.

16th January, 2011

dgarner1013's avatar

I am new to the fragrance world, and Tobacco Vanille is partly responsible for my newfound interest. I read about TV in an article in Details while I was considering the purchase of a new fragrance (not knowing at the time, of course, that the prospect I had chosen had a cost equivalent to a low-grade PC). This led me to YouTube reviews and ultimately to the wealth of information that is Basenotes. This really is a great site and I want to thank everyone for their contributions.

So there is my introduction, now on to my review. I purchased a large decant of TV online because I couldn't justify a full retail blind buy of such a controversial fragrance at such an rediculous price. Initially, I was glad that I did.

The burst of aromatic spices caught me offguard, and I was reminded more of Christmas potporroui than something that could be considered a masculine fragrance. However, the aromatic spices were not alone for long. A sweet aroma of unlit pipe tobacco accompanies the spices and remains for hours. It is not until the drydown that the vanilla takes center stage, but the spices remain as a backdrop for the duration of this fragrance.

In my opinion, it is almost as though the top notes are dominated by the aromatic spices, the middle notes are dominated by the tobacco with the spices as a base in order to tame the tobacco notes, while the latter stages of the fragrance are dominated by vanilla with a base of spices to keep it from being too sweet. It really is an incredible fragrance.

As everyone else has stated, the longevity is incredible. I wear this to work (yes, against the advice of many BN'ers) and can clearly detect this scent at the end of the day with a single spray in the morning. It is expensive, but in my opinion, well worth the investment.

10th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 18th January, 2011)

scentpacking's avatar

Smells like xmas pudding,fresh aromatic pipe tobacco and dried fruit.Reminds me of a tobacconists in my local town It rocks. It wont be everyones cup of tea( my wife hates it !!)but who cares.its a very comforting scent .try before you buy would be my only warning

15th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 15th November, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

I've changed my mind - this is getting to be all about honey and less about tobacco on me.

10th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 19th January, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Dummy-gummy, this hurts my tummy. It is very vanilla-centric from the outset. A sugar cookie with a few spices. So incredibly sweet that it is toothache-inducing. I detect a bright, almost metallic note, like ginger ale in a tin cup. Also there are hints of cocoa. I get a bit of tobacco, in a humidor style. This is so sweet, I can’t say that it is very sophisticated. Much more a gourmand scent than a tobacco scent.

07th December, 2010

HDS1963's avatar

I'd read the reviews of this and had anticipated it greatly.

I can honestly say this is awful and I don't know what the fuss is about. I absolutely love tobacco based fragrances and own a fair few. But dear God, all you get is an overpowering tobacco and a dreadful amped up vanilla that is sooo sweet it rots your teeth.

After half an hour I had to wash it off, it was turning my stomach.

I could live a lifetime and happily never smell this again. In fact, I just might.

07th December, 2010

Missy's avatar

I was looking forward to trying this and had high hopes. Instead I smell like my grandfather used to smell when he was alive, rest his soul. He was a pipe smoker for over 70 years and that is exactly how I smell while wearing this fragrance. The tobacco smell dominates all the other notes and for the whole day- at least for me it does.

I much prefer Guerlain's SDV to Tobacco Vanille. Of course, perfume is such a personal affair and what one individual loves another might hate so while my experience with this Tom Ford fragrance is less than positive another's might be amazing.

06th December, 2010

suburbanites's avatar

I've really struggled with this scent, having given it several samplings and all-day wearings to render a decision. There are times when I've been indifferent to the aroma, and others when it's really been terribly disappointing. Foremost, if your expectation is a warm tobacco aroma, it will be difficult to distinguish from the very overpowering influence of vanilla from top to base. This is not a subtle vanilla by any means, but a very cloying, confectionary vanilla that has exceptional longevity and dominates the fragrance. It is very linear, barely transforming over the course of hours, mild sillage but exceptional longevity. It would appear that the intent of the fragrance was to evoke a memory of scented pipe tobacco. Unfortunately, it evoked food to me and anyone around me who could smell it -- "cookies" was one word used to describe it, "cheap vanilla extract" another. Not what I wanted having really desired something closer to Creed Vintage Tabarome's very mellowed tobacco. There are a number of Tom Ford Private Collection fragrances that I enjoy, but this is one that I certainly wouldn't recommend both on price and its aromatic composition. This missed the mark for me.

02nd December, 2010

kayley123's avatar

Whoops, have to edit/revise my description...I DO notice the fragrance develop over time, I wasn't paying close attention before.
    Starts out with lots of vanilla, tonka bean,
    then quickly to tobacco
    then spice (a burst...cinnamon?)
    then add a little dry fruit
    then a little cocoa....actually the cocoa is enough, would NOT want more.

13th August, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

This is the sexiest fragrance I have ever smelled. This combination of tobacco and vanilla makes it masculine but sweet at the same time. I have to get this.

22nd July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23rd August, 2010)

manicboy's avatar

Not very original but it's fabulous. Take two already great-smelling ingredients and put them together for one big accord. And it's huge. The tobacco hits you at first blast and is joined with dried fruits (prunes, figs). The tobacco is more leaf than pipe to my nose as I get no smoke from this brew. Imagine a dark and dank cellar of yesteryear where tobacco and fruits are left to dry out. The vanilla creeps in to blend marvelously with the tobacco. At times, it smells like powdery cocoa and honey. Lasts forever and a day. A 50ml bottle will last a lifetime. Tommy's best by far.

24th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 27th July, 2010)

The_Cologneist's avatar

With all the people hyping this one up lately, I went into my tin of decants to give it another try.. and I must say.. I'm far more impressed than ever. Of course the projection, sillage and longevity are amazing, but now I'm getting new aromas.

It's like a field of tobacco leaves dipped in vanilla syrup was set on fire, and burning. Maybe a burning vanilla candle as somebody mentioned before. I kind of smell like a toasted coconut/marshmallow thing as it dries down a little. It's gourmand but not completely devoted to being gourmand, it's kind of a more gentlemanly sophisticated gourmand/tobacco blend. This stuff is also incredibly thick, rich and potent. Excellent.

But, is it worth the price? To me, no. I'm too used to a thriftier budget when it comes to fragrances, I feel disgusted with myself if I spend 60-80 bucks on one.. nonetheless 170-250!? Jesus Tom Ford, how much are you making marketing some of your stuff. As good as it is, there are far too many other fragrances I can find to tickle my tobacco an vanilla fancy. And, while this stuff may be high quality, I don't think any fragrance is worth such a price.

12th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 22nd July, 2010)

crazyoney2k's avatar

MY FAVORITE!!!! it reminds me of old fashioned gentlemans clubs very masculine yet very sexy i was more scents were like this one!!! the only draw back is that its expensive in england its £110 for 50 ml

11th April, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

I was looking forward to my sampling of this, but Tobacco Vanille had heavy competition which it usually doesn't when it's hanging out at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. I had it up against Fumerie Turque, Back to Black, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, and Amber Russe. What a duke out. Well the champion of smokey tobacco for me is Fumerie Turque. If I need more vanilla that's easy to throw in the mix. Even throw something like A*Men on top. Fumerie begs to be layered on. Tobacco Vanille? I guess so, but it doesn't really give what I want from the tobacco side. So I picked up CBIHatePerfume's Pipe Tobacco Accord for cheap, and that isolates the tobacco accord to whatever I want with. Next up, Spiritueuse Double Vanille is probably the closest competition to Tom Ford's, and I think its done better - it's better balanced and less sweet. Back to Black is the most mellow out of the bunch, has very little vanilla, has none of the overly sweetness, and employs some feminine oriental spices on the top - if that's your kind of thing. Lastly, Amber Russe has the tobacco blast, but warmed by Amber not Vanilla, and as similarly sweet as Amber Russe is to Tobacco Vanille, I think it's far smoother, without the cloying sweetness, and the dry down with Russe puts Tobacco Vanille to shame.

23rd March, 2010

AntFarmer's avatar

I have a total crush on Tobacco Vanille. I received a sample of it, and upon first spray I literally blushed and giggled when I smelled my wrist. It made me imagine Johnny Depp's character from "Crybaby" staring at me intensely from the back of Home Economics class. This is the exact kind of smoke I have been looking for--it adds an air of raw and captivating masculinity, but the vanilla tempers it back into being unisex. This is one of the most truly gender-neutral scents I have worn. Although the sillage isn't that great on my skin (fades to a plain honey aroma within two hours), I spray it on my clothes and I feel like I am the female version of James Dean. I fantasize about buying a full bottle of this and making it my signature scent.

12th March, 2010

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Do you love the smell of unsmoked dark vanilla pipe tobacco?
    So do I, and this ain't it.
    I'm not sure if I agree most with Asha's description of lovely spiced cookie dough or Stereotomy''s vanilla scented candle, but I understand the thumbs up from both reviewers and if i ever wish to smell like either description, I know where to find it.
    There are high quality tobacco scents that convey precisely what they're aiming for ( dry leaves being cured in Tabac Auera for example) but as for the scent of an unsmoked dark vanilla pipe tobacco, I give up!

In a book of Japanese incense, whose name I can't for the life of me remember, the author mentioned the custom in ancient Japan of wearing a satchel or pouch of wood shavings of Kyara or Sandalwood in the inside pocket of a kimono--or was it a neck pouch? Those crazy samurai!

Unless someone suggests an alternative, this may be the only way to go for the scent. Stop at your friendly tobacconist's shop.

14th December, 2009

Asha's avatar

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Notes: Spicy Note, Aromatic Note, Tobacco, Tonka Bean, Tobacco Leaf, Tobacco Flower, Vanilla, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Sap (from osmoz.com)

I was prepared to dislike Tobacco Vanille. It has received so much hype in the online communities, and is so brashly marketed, I honestly thought that nothing could live up to TV's reputation. Well, I am eating my words now, almost literally, as TV is an extremely well-done gourmand fragrance. On first spray, it has a lovely spiced cookie dough effect, with a combination of spices that seems a bit like the blend normally used for gingerbread, i.e., ginger, cinnamon, clove and allspice. Sweetening up this accord is a good quality vanilla which shies away from what would typically be found in a kitchen, and smells much more complex, woody, boozy and a little bit powdery. Woods and resins, also make TV a bit less edible, and are welcome additions to the vanilla and spice. The strangest thing, though, is that I really do not smell any tobacco. Vanilla by itself often has a bit of a tobacco quality, so it is not really such a stretch. Even though high quality tobacco is aged with botanicals, or treated with flavor chemicals, I definitely do not get a flavored tobacco impression from TV. For me, it sits squarely into the "kitchen aroma after you've cooked something both sweet and savory" category. The drydown is a bit less foody, and is really just a vanilla-heavy, labdanum-based amber, less alluring than Tom Ford's own Amber Absolute, but still extremely fetching. I am not sure this would be full bottle worthy, because the fragrance is actually quite one dimensional and linear. However, TV is a single-idea fragrance that is so deep and wide that a person can spend a lot of time contemplating it.

05th December, 2009

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Let me start this by saying I think Tom Ford is a strange, obnoxious, and unwarrantedly-arrogant person. However, in some limited applications, his sense of taste is appreciable. i especially appreciate the packaging of his fragrance line, but this is of absolutely no importance in judging the scents themselves. i find his fragrance line to be vastly overpriced for it's overall scent-quality, and many of the woody scents I find really uninspired and heelchasing of niche trends, seemingly without much foresight or concern for how history will Judge. With that said, Tobacco vanille is the one scent i think will be judged quite well many years from now.

The first whiff of sillage basically smells like a heavy does of unburned clove cigarettes, but that quickly gives way to a delicious pipe tobacco and nilla wafers. this is a very strong scent, which needs only a very light application to be noticed by others in the room.

While a light application smells natural, a heavy application, within minutes, will expose itself as far too synthetic for it's price range. The tobacco note is a very nice one, but i can't help but find the synthetic vanilla and spices to smell too much like the genericly transparent "vanilla/coconut auto freshener sprays", especially it smells transparent and synthetic in warm weather, rendering it useless for me except for fall and winter.

With all that said, i still like the scent, and own it.
    It is my sweetest and most gourmand scent, and despite it's cocoa and marshmallow notes, I still find it just barely masculine enough to wear, unlike Guerlain's SDV or any of the other scents with Vanilla in their title. One scent that this does share some similarity with besides the guerlain, is the drydown of L'Occitane's Eav Des bavx. So I would recommend everyone looking to buy Tobacco Vanille to test that one and see if it's woody/spicy/incense notes, which render it a far more masculine scent than Tobacco vanille, produce an effect that makes the heavy tonka/vanilla they both share more palatable and wearable.

On the flipside, for readers desiring a more feminine scent with similar sweetness and unbeatable longevity/sillage, try Tom Ford's Black Orchid, these two scents definitely share several strong diffusive basenotes, although the overall impression is different. I think Black Orchid is one of my favorite gourmands on females, whereas Tobacco vanille is one of the only gourmands I could wear myself.

I would rate it neutral due to it's price pint being so vastly over it's quality, but I try to avoid factoring in any other factor besides the scent itself into my final judgement, so this is a thumbs up. Tom Ford's best.

notes:
    Spice notes, Aromatic notes, Dried Fruits, Cocoa Powder, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Pipe Tobacco, Tobacco Leaf, Tobacco Flower, Wood Sap

30th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

Top notes are a wonderfully natural smelling vanilla, reminiscent of the kind used for fine cooking. Within seconds (literally), the tobacco note comes through - also extremely authentic, like opening a bag of fresh pipe tobacco. It is rich, somewhat spicy, and a tad leathery. The tobacco smells a little cinnamon-y, in a delightful way. I wouldn't wear this in the summer (especially during the day), but it should be suitable for gentlemen at most other times - assuming whoever you are with can also appreciate tobacco. Honestly, it smells less like a personal fragrance (or "cologne"), than it does just like you are carrying around pockets full of rich tobacco. Which personally, I like. My only wish is that the vanilla stayed on board a little longer, as it fades rather quickly and gets dominated by the tobacco. Good longevity, moderate sillage.

28th November, 2009

L'Aventurier's avatar

Tobacco, black tea and vanilla. That's about it.

While I loved it at first sniff, Tobacco Vanille now makes me yawn of boredom due to it's linear (and lack of) evolution. I also hate the synthetic black tea note in it - I find myself getting annoyed of smelling the exact same thing for hours on end - like a song that was good at first, but once you hear it on the radio for the 5th time in an hour you're fed up of it. Not much else to say here, but that TV is also overpriced and smells a bit like a candle. Sorry guys, I'm just not feeling this one.

I much prefer Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille - now that's a fragrance with quality, evolution and great blending. Even though there's no tobacco in SDV, it still reminds me of vanilla pipe tobacco and gets top honors for being my favorite pipe-tobacco-style fragrance. SDV is less sweet than TV and it's not even close to being as cloying or annoying as Tobacco Vanille.

15th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

Jack's avatar

I just got the sample today and was exactly what I’m looking for. I will be treating myself to a bottle of this in a few days. I don’t think its to sweet, but I like sweet scents like original santal.

13th October, 2009

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Very nice, with a dose of classiness. Even though it is unisex, could pass more as a masculine scent...because of tobacco, of course.

13th October, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

For the first 15 minutes all I got was dried preserved prunes - the sort you'd find in Chinatown, sold in large packets with the prunes individually wrapped in paper. We call these preservatives 'buah kanna'. (Hey, maybe Tom Ford was eating some while sifting through dried tobacco leaves and somehow drew an inspiration!) Anyway fun facts aside, when the tobacco finally arrives, its presence is unmistakable. Loads of dry unlit tobacco leaves here, playing up an evocative note which probably reminds many of the men in their lives. This aspect of a scent normally wins my vote. However, considering the line's exclusivity and price point, I find TOBACCO VANILLE's linearity and simplicity too uninspiring that eating some buah kana seems to be the more satisfying option. Strictly for tobacco lovers.

12th October, 2009

street_a_licious's avatar

Austria Austria

it smells like...... honey tea to me. basically LOTS of honey, warm honey, only honey.

i like honey, i sure do, but i wouldn't pay for this.

01st October, 2009

DreamerII's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Tobacco vanille is everything I want a perfect scent to be - warm, deep, thick, cozy, natural smelling, perfectly blended, emotional, mysterious.

29th September, 2009