Neutral Reviews of Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Find out more about Noir de Noir by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

fragranceismusic's avatar
    fragranceismusic

I like this one okay. It's grown on me since the first time I smelled it in Saks. It's very inky, sweet, and rich. I like the hint of dark rose and the chocolate I get, but it's a little too strong and sweet for me. Like most TF's, I also find it to be pretty one-dimensional. Tobacco Vanille remains the only Tom Ford Private Blend that I really think is worth the price. They're all so strong, singular, and smell pretty synthetic to my nose. Just my humble opinion...

15 March, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

I get a very gourmand blend of rose oil and chocolate. Trouble is... they are discordant. A very sweet fragrance, not for summer.

30th October, 2012

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

I really like this fragrance's rose, oud, patchouli, and saffron combination. The mix is hardly unique, but there's something very wearable and almost "friendly" about it that sets it apart from the likes of the bold Black Aoud or the reserved Dark Rose. I don't smell truffles, but rather a Christmas-cake vibe that steers this slightly into gourmand territory.

Oud seems to come in a lot of varieties, and the oud note here is a softer, mellower oud note than most I've experienced, not at all "barnyard" or medicinal. Its closest kin in my experience is the oud note in Montale's Original Oud.

Unfortunately, Noir de Noir has a huge down side for me: fleeting longevity. It lasts an hour at most before disappearing entirely into the air, which is why it gets a neutral rating. If this lasted the way Tobacco Vanille did, it would be thumbs up for sure.

08 September, 2009