Positive Reviews of Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Find out more about Amber Absolute by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

Ahhhhhh, Amber Absolute. you sick bas****! :D
    Finally I found a sample of you!
    It's another great amber based fragrance that I was expecting a little more out of it but still it's strong enough to kill tons of other fragrances out there!
    The opening is a strong sweet amber mixed with lots of woods and spices.
    The sweetness is strong in vanilla way and mixing with strong woods and spices, create a yummy sweet fragrance which is brutal and masculine at the same time.
    The opening remind me of Amber Sultan. yes, but the sweetness is more and stronger.
    As time goes by, there isn't too much changes.
    The vanilla sweetness become stronger and you can still smell strong woods and spiced side by side the sweetness.
    The dry down is different from Amber Sultan too my nose.
    In Amber Sultan you will get a smooth honey sweetness which is not so potent plus very smooth woods and spices, but in this fragrance the sweetness is vanilla like and its very strong and also woods and spices are much stronger!
    The dry down and base of this fragrance remind me of Andy Tauer's masterpiece! I mean LADDM!
    They don't smell exactly the same, but they do have things in common!
    So if you can't find this fragrance or it's too expensive, you can replace it by LADDM easily which is as quality as this, maybe even better and just like this with stunning projection and longevity.
    It's quite sad that this fragrance is discontinued, but fortunately there are great replacements for it.

01st February, 2014

Buysblind's avatar
    Buysblind

Robust Amber

Really good stuff. And very strong.

To those who haven't smelled too many amber-based scents I would describe Amber Absolute as toasted marshmallows with a dry, slightly smoky, and dusty edge. The incense, which provides the dry, dusty quality, works wonderfully to balance the vanillic amber heart. While quite robust and powerful, this is also a cozy, sensual fragrance that leans more toward the masculine side of the spectrum than feminine (though I certainly wouldn't mind it on a woman). It is a little bit spicy as well, but in a warm, inviting kind of way. Rich and thick, I find Amber Absolute works best when applied lightly with just one or two sprays.

For those who are familiar with some of the better-known amber-based scents, I would describe Amber Absolute as Ambre Sultan with the spicy herbal aspect toned down and the vanillic amber turned up, along with some of the dry dustiness of L'Air Du Desert Marocain. Somebody even described it as "Gucci Pour Homme on steroids," which I think is really the perfect descripiton of this.

An especially great fragrance to wear on a winter night, Amber Absolute has excellent projection and longevity. And while it's unique and interesting, it seems easy enough to pull off.

Unfortunately, this one has been discontinued.

Pros: Excellent Quality, Superb Longevity and Projection, Unique
    Cons: Discontinued, Hard to wear in warm weather, Maybe too strong for some"

17 July, 2013

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

LOvely with lots of character

this is like a well rehearsed opera. every note is in tune with each other.the 3 players are the amber/vanilla/incense mix. very intoxicating but also cloying after a few hours. I only have a 3ml decant and adore this over Ambre Russe..

Pros: longevity and incense
    Cons: cloying at times

19 June, 2013

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

A very woody sweet amber with incense and vanilla is what I'm mainly getting from this one. It's a bit on the syrupy side but the interplay of these notes is nicely balanced. Though I still like HdP Ambre 114 as my Ambre of choice.

26 October, 2012

TOONS1200's avatar
    TOONS1200

blown away by this scent. for one, it projects and lasts for hours (15+) and for two it's just the best amber scent on the market. very woody and masculine (not to mention daring) in the opening. the dry down gains sweetness. the best way i could describe the dry down is if you had amber scented/flavored cake frosting. sweet and delicious.

15 August, 2012

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Amber is the name of the game here, intensive and with smoke and a touch of cedarwood added. Amber pure with little added notes; unlike, for instance, Creed's Ambre Canelle, the amber is not softened up and blended as much; and in spite of a hint of vanilla in the drydown this remains an amber scent with limited sweetness. Sillage and projection are good for the first three or four hours, but the longevity is brilliant: up to ten hours on my skin. One of the few convincing amber fragrances.

03 August, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

This wonderful evocative ambery-boise oriental  scent is featured by the heavenly and generally renowned chord of olibanum and labdanum that characterizes a bed of vanillic amber with a touch of smoke. The fragrance is not complex and owns a certain strength because of its minimalistic blend. The sweetness is wonderfully calibrated and is mainly based on a well equipped crew of mild woods as Gaiac, cedarwood and probably sandalwood. The starring role is played by the note of labdanum together with an high quality incensed amber. The latter is mastering in its typical kind of sweet, almost beastly, smell but this one retains the facets of the labdanum note that is a sort of piney, smokey, spicy, aromatic kind of aroma which together with amber and incense turns out with a strong woodsy-animal depth and a more austere aromatic soaring perfume. Inhaling this wonderful fragrance i'm teleported in a serene fall afternoon spent on a mountain in loneliness. Amber Absolute is warm and almost edible but is a woodsy, musky, ambiental, almost meditative amber in my opinion and is neither particularly glamour (Costume National 21) nor sumptuous (Ambra Nera, too much linear to perform like that indeed), arabesque (Ambre Sultan) or properly decadent/baroque (Ambre Russe, Golden Amber), it's simply a great amber far from the glamour and the provocative olfactory "naughtiness".

22 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2013)

stefftaylor's avatar
    stefftaylor

I've owned several amber fragrances, but this is hands-down the absolute best ever. It's sexy and warm and inviting without the sometimes biting note that comes with amber (like Ambre Sultan). Most people would probably wear this at night or during the cooler months, but this is so lovely that I'll even wear it on a warm summer day. Fabulous.

11th August, 2011

hollycat's avatar
    hollycat

Im not a big fan of basic amber scents. I like them blended in a more complex fragrance. But I have to say that Tom Ford created a masterpiece with this amber dominated scent. Its a smooth, boozy, and almost edible amber that I believe amber lovers would orgasm over. Today I wore some to work from my sample vial and my co-worked was blown away by it. She asked me what it was and I told her, and also warned her of the price tag. She said she would pay it. She loved it so much.

Oddly, I dont love it. I just dont connect with it. Though I feel its an incredible creation. I just dont love it for me. But if your an amber lover and you like minimalism in your scents with amazing quality ingredients TRY THIS.

19 March, 2011

TwoWordReviews's avatar
    TwoWordReviews

Sultry. Seductive.

If I were on death row and they asked for my last meal request, I might ask if they could just bring in someone wearing Amber Absolute instead. It's that good. So rich, so sultry, so sensual, so tantalizing, so long-lasting ... (I'll be right back)

The amber by itself is enough to cause angels to fall from heaven in droves, but add the incense and the devil just comes right up and grabs them from the gates. Devilish, dangerous, divine.

27 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2011)

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

l agree with Asha; this is "an amber lover's amber", a rich & satisfying amber in it's most classic form, & very much like Profumum's Ambra Aurea because of this.
    lt opens as a thick, dense, resinous, "piney" amber with dark wood & smoke, very autumnal & rather masculine. After around 15 minutes, it sweetens into a rich, caramel-like benzoin, & persists in this manner with a wisp of incense running through it, all the way to the drydown many hours later.
    The sillage is powerful, even though so far l've only dabbed this from my 4ml mini. l actually can't imagine what it's like sprayed on! Must try it sometime...

10th February, 2011

suburbanites's avatar
    suburbanites

Amber Absolute is a fragrance that is evocative: You will adore and cherish it, or you'll find it a very suffocating amber from the mixture of all of its elements. I find it a very rich Amber with an almost incense -- think High Mass incense -- element that wafts just beneath the surface. It's simply delicious if done in small doses, which would be my only caveat. In small amounts -- simply pulse points, or in combination with an Arabian Wood or Oud -- it's very striking. If overdone, it can be very off-putting. This is a very deep and rich amber scent, one that evokes memories of a chilly fall day and warm fires and the smell of a rich herbal tea nearby to warm you. This is that fall/winter-esque scent that is a delicacy. But do not bathe in it unless you want to evoke the smell of a Sunday high-mass and sweet burning incense.

06 September, 2010

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Labdanum and amber characterize this scent. The vanilla is kind of an obligatory player in orientals. Which woods are in this? My guess would be guaiac wood, perhaps with a sandalwood note, and a bit of something cashmeran or ebony-scented. This makes for good layering with Tobacco Vanille or Tuscan Leather.

30th March, 2010

Asha's avatar
    Asha

Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Notes: Frankincense, Amber, Woody Notes, Vanilla, Labdanum (from osmoz.com)

I love amber. I love amber. Did I mention I love amber? Amber Absolute is an amber lover's amber. Its primary ingredient is the woody, smoky, peppery, leathery, balsamic note labdanum. It is sweetened by vanilla which also lends its wood, hay and tobacco nature to the composition. It is made resinous with frankincense and benzoin, the frankincense adding a gorgeous smoky incense note that never smells metallic or funky. Amber Absolute is not overly complicated, but it is extremely rich, with a good balance of dry, tannic and sweet. It is amber in its most classic form. The quality of ingredients here is excellent, along the lines of Profumum Ambra Aurea, and equally satisfying. I love amber.

07 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2009)

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

A direct, to-the-point amber powerhouse. The top notes come on quite strong, lightly spicy, but not herbal to my nose, lending a gourmand quality to an amber already with a distinct caramel edge.

Despite being almost entirely focused on amber through its development, it isn't a one-note fragrance, and has a slow but recognizable development as it loses its edge and becomes gentle and vanillic.

Your feelings on this will depend almost entirely on how you feel about the amber genre. It's not complex, but it's high quality.

31st October, 2009

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

Amber Absolute: well, for those who say Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan doesnt have amber..should smell this one for reference. It's opening accords reminds one of mid-base notes of Ambre sultan minus the extreme spicy notes of AS. within 10 minutes it morphs into another scent we adore so much, which is Parfums d'Empire's Ambre Russe; ofcourse minus the leather and herbal accords....so, what that leaves us with is a smoldering accord of glowing amber so powerful, it has the capacity to create an aura and sense of warmth by merely smelling it. no wonder it's called amber "absolute". this is a straight ahead, no-nonsense, smoldering amber based scent. a definite must have for someone who admires Ambre Sultan and Ambre Russe. is it worth ahaving all these three scents in one wardrobe...? depends. i do have amber sultan..so, i dont need this one. but, for thsoe who have Ambre Russe, this one is different enough to be in the same WD. just for our info, this has more in common with Ambre Sultan than with Ambre Russe.

13 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2009)

BodeLeeHarm's avatar
    BodeLeeHarm

I was in Las Vegas and sampled this fragrance on a spray card at Neiman-M. At first I didn't find it that exciting but when I got back to my hotel I kept getting the card out and smelling it again. Later, I went back to N-M and sprayed some on my arm for a test-drive while I browsed around the Fashion Show Mall. The longer I had it on, the more I liked itand I eventually bought a bottle before I left town. I always wear a sample/test spray of a cologne for a whole day before I decide to buy it - some of them start out OK and then take an ugly turn a few hours later. Plus, things that smell good on other people can absolutely reek on me.

To me, Amber Absolute is the perfect blend of vanilla and incense - and by incense I mean proper Japanese insence, not that cheap hippie-crap with a bamboo stick in it that you get at the truck stop or the swap meet. The incense components aren't too strong and the vanilla components aren't overpowering - they balance each other and blend together so well that you have to really breath deep and focus to be able to pick each one out.

So far everyone I've asked has said they really like it on me - the most common response when I ask them to have a sniff of my forearm is 'OMG what is that!? I love it!' You know when they actually grab your arm and keep it under their nose that they aren't just being polite. The scent doesn't change much after you put it on and it lasts for several hours before gradually fading away to just a hint of vanilla. Although the Private Blends are ridculously overpriced, the lady at N-M did give me 4 samples of other Private Blend scents when I bought this one. They were generous 1/4-ounce samples in little glass bottles with lids - not those stingy plastic vials with two drops of cologne in them that you usually get.

UPDATE: this review is for the 50 mil spray version. The non-spray in the larger bottle smells completely different to me - I think they are two different formulas.

02 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2010)

moltening's avatar
    moltening
    Thailand Thailand

Extremely thick, syrupy, powerful, and rich. Herbal like Ambre Sultan, but much sweeter with a hint of smokiness from the incense.

What's special about this one is the sillage. It's a sillage monster alright. The good thing is that the sillage is indeed pleasant: resinous and sweet and to my surprise, without being too cloying.

06 January, 2009

mbanderson61's avatar
    mbanderson61

With notes of amber, African incense, labdanum, rich woods, and vanilla bean, Amber Absolute is an incense-laden amber, with a dark and smoky character. It presents a nice study in contrasts, both dry and warm, peppery and...well, not quite sweet. Thick, yes, and maybe even a bit syrupy. But there is nothing sugary here. Wearing it on one arm with MPG Ambre Precieux on the other for comparison, Amber Absolute hardly even budges the sweetness meter.

Except for a smoothing out of the initial strong smoky and syrupy notes, the fragrance remains mostly linear. This is also a heavy sillage scent, so go easy on the trigger.

05 January, 2009

jrd4t's avatar
    jrd4t

This is one of the best and richest ambers I've tried. It's got the perfect amount of sharpness, and dries down to a magnificent, warm amber scent. It lasts and lasts and is pretty powerful so a little goes a long way. If you take the medicinal herbs from Ambre Sultan and add some extra warmth to the base, you'll have something close to Amber Absolute.

24 October, 2008

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

On first application I wasn't too thrilled with Amber Absolute.... too sweet, too syrupy. Luckily I've learned that making judgment calls on one wear is a rookie mistake!

On second wear I put two diffuse sprays on the back of my hand and went to work. The beginning was the same story - sweet, vanilla amber so thick it could be syrup. However, I soon noticed at work that the most wonderful aroma was wafting in front of me, right over my keyboard. At first I forgot the AA was on my hand and thought it was my scent of the day (Egoiste). I then remembered I had sprayed the AA and found that the two sprays on my hand were giving off the most lovely, resinous incense-like sillage. These dark notes are balanced perfectly with vanilla and amber. Never quite gourmand, Amber Absolute is rich and inviting, with terrific sillage and longevity.

Thumbs UP, and on my 'purchase someday' list!

20th August, 2008

gordonm's avatar
    gordonm

This is a really clever fragrance. All the private collection are marketed as unisex, but in my experience, this one smells either very masculine or very feminine according to the wearer's skin- i.e- not unisex but one or the other as opposed to a fence-sitter. Not an every day at the office type of thing, but could be worn day or night. It has great subtlety in a very distinctive manner. A great blend of amber with wood, a dry / sweet balance with great lasting power. A refreshing detour from the mainstream "ozonic note, low-carbon-footprint, inoffensive, Walmart, boil-in-the-bag " rubbish. Whilst this might be twice as expensive as a bottle of "everyman's juice", do not be put off. It's easy to know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Check it out!

13 August, 2008

distortech's avatar
    distortech

Nthny could not have put this any better. This incense is extraordinary and most certainly conjures up some very interesting imagery. I do not regret getting this at all and will be wearing it VERY often. NICE! A HUGE THUMBS UP! :-)

12 July, 2008

nthny's avatar
    nthny

Good God this is what it's all about. Amber Absolute is a fragrance which humbles the eager fragrance lover in me: it makes me pause and realize the true artistry involved in creating these wearable masterpieces. It opens with a thick, rich, mapley, buttery impression which is fantastically countered with a large dose of peppery incense. Eventually the rich sweetness gives way to sumptous woods and more incense.

Amber Absolute brings me to a dark underground crypt, a stone passageway lit with black wrought iron lanterns, the only light coming from the eerie glow of the dancing red and orange flames cast againt the walls. It's melancholic but warm, hence the imagery of the glow of a fire in a pitch black room. It's a gorgeous study of the contrast between the richness and luxuriousness of sweet and resinous amber, vanilla, and labdanum and the burning pepper and wood scent of incense. In a word, Amber Absolute is breathtaking.

16 January, 2008

Squeezeweasel's avatar
    Squeezeweasel

Beautiful - this is as close to a perfect amber as I've found. Amber Absolute is heavy on the labdanum and incense (an African incense, according to the lady at the counter), with a soft, but not powdery, vanillic base tying everything together. There's sandalwood in there along with some other resins I don't recognise, and it's soft and melting on the skin. There's also a feeling of delicious gummed paper (admit it; you love licking envelopes too!) and an echo of the caramel in Dzing! in the middle notes.

This on me is a wonderful 'skin' fragrance. It's expensive, but I'm hooked - I'm driving the 70 miles to buy a bottle as soon as my next paycheck comes in.

19 June, 2007