Positive Reviews of Lonestar Memories by Tauer

The more I wear this, the more I think it's bottleworthy. It's leather, tar, cinammon, Rubber, and sand. It's well crafted and doesn't change drastically in the drydown. It lasts about 10 hours as well. I prefer this far more than desert morrocain, but there are similarities between the two. I really enjoy this scent. It's unique and well made.
09th February, 2017
ALCHEMY! MAGIC! WHAT STRANGE MYSTERY LIES HERE?

Lonestar Memories - fragrances like this are the reason I love fragrance, thank you, Andy Tauer.

When I first put this on, I smiled, and that is the power of perfumery, and what I heard Andy talk about on a youtube video recently, when he said he came to realise this was not about making fragrances to sell to make money, this was about touching people.

The first wild, strange, intangible burst I got from this, besides the leather, and goodness knows what else, there was just one note, just one note, that took me back to... back to... it was on the tip of my tongue, and my smile was beaming wide, what was it?

And then, bingo, it came to me - it was my dad's dental laboratory, and the smells of my childhood - my father was a dental technician, and a big fragrance fan (and I instantly knew I would have to get him a bottle of this for his upcoming 70th birthday) - it took me straight back to those happy times as a kid, helping him out in his lab at home, those intoxicating smells of the chemicals in his lab, never unpleasant in any way - in fact we always used to joke that he must have been getting high off of all those fumes! - but it took me straight back, and it made me smile, and for that I will be forever grateful, Mr Tauer.

On me, that final basenote lasts and lasts and lasts, literally an application in the morning will last into the next. I don't understand how anybody can be anything but mystified and stupefied at how this fragrance can so slowly and so subtly change and mutate from its brute opening to its beautiful soft, woodsy closing - it is nothing but the purist art from a pure artist, and all I can say is long live our sense of smell! I think of it as art for the nose. I mean, we have art for the eye, art for the ear, art for the mouth, why not art for the nose? WHY NOT ART FOR THE MEMORY, ART FOR THE FEELING! THUMBS UP!!!
07th May, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
The two main phases are obvious: the leathery-smoky opening, combining a deep and slightly harsh leather with a smoky, campfire-cum-barbecue impression. Which on my skin is never overly intrusive or unpleasant. Rich - yes, intensive - yes, deep - yes, but all well combined.

The leather is quite dark, and a bit like an old leather coat, with hardly any gasoline not present - this is much less bold, raw and gutsy than Knize Ten; it is deeper and darker than Cuiron and also than the Cuir of the Nombre d'Or series.

A green, slightly herbal and slightly floral transition leads to the second phase, which sees a fairly dark vanilla together with a Taueresque sweetly-spicy incense impression; a synthetic sandal wood together with the spice keep the sweetness in check; this composition is never overly sweet, sickly or cloying; the balance is quite impressive.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a great eleven hours of longevity.

The wintery fragrance displays many of the features characteristics for many of Tauer's products. Very pleasant and blended very well, overall very nice. 3.25/5.
01st May, 2016

When I first tried this, my wife said "That stinks, get away from me!". After the burnt rubber subsided a bit, she reckoned "It smells like Morocco, like a Moroccan souk. But it still stinks." (she knows nothing about Tauer). Personally I quite like Lonestar Memories despite the admittedly tough opening (which reminds me of the day my washing machine broke down in a cloud of smoke).
11th February, 2016 (last edited: 15th February, 2016)
Lonestar Memories features an almost overpowering smoky leather note at the beginning, like a leather jacket tossed onto a campfire. Its black, rubbery thrust might seem too monolithic were it not for the minty geranium leaf and an orangey myrrh shooting though it, letting down the density of the smoke to an acceptable level. The opening is thrilling and evocative, but there’s no beating around the bush here - it’s wild enough to scare the horses.

But Lonestar Memories isn’t a perfume built purely on the shock value of its topnotes. The smoke note here is rich, full, and rubbed with sage, so despite the general industrial bent to the leather note (tar, creosote, tarpaulins, motor engine oil), there is a refreshing whiff of the great outdoors too. It’s a macho, dry perfume built on a HUMONGOUS scale, as broad in scope as a prairie. A fragrance for dreamers and wanderers.

For me, Lonestar Memories only really hits its stride when it enters the dry down. The smoke note settles, and becomes just one more layer in the rich leather, a tiny prickle of birch tar there to remind us that this is no ladies’ glove type of leather. There is real beauty in the quality of the myrrh here. It is soapy, antiseptic and slightly bitter in that black, oily way that myrrh oil is, so one gets the pleasant impression of having washed one’s hands with coal tar soap. If you are someone like me who grew up with that soap, then this stage will be a real rush to the head. It also has a licorice-like facet to it.

Teamed with the smoky but now smooth leather, and a gummy floral note (jasmine?), the myrrh provides a shot of almost bitter soapiness that reads as very necessary against the white, creamy amber in the background. The opening is riveting, but the delicious, long dry down is what keeps me coming back for more.

Would I buy a bottle? Probably not. Not because I don’t think it is beautiful or striking, because I do, but because it is such a strongly “environmental” fragrance, by which I mean that it conjures up an entire slice of Americana – a prairie, a dust bowl, a tire shop with oily mechanics – and so I feel it doesn’t really fit in with the type of life I lead.

But I treasure my sample of it. Now, rather than wearing it on my skin, I prefer to soak a blotter in Lonestar Memories and place it into my jeans pocket or underneath the desk lamp in my office so that I can enjoy its rich, smoky, cowboy-chaps scent all day long without the commitment of skin time. Perfect.
08th February, 2016
Well I'll be hornswoggled, if this ain't a smell to rustle up some memories in an old timer like me. Reminds me of 'West', that cowboy scent of the 1970's, close partner to Brut if I remember right. Now that one was like baked beans cookin' over a campfire out on the prairie, a real American smell. But they tell me this un's made by some son of a gun in Switzerland, or some such place. Well I'll be.
09th November, 2015
Masterpiece?
Here is fine example of Andy Tauer's work. It's structure follows Classic lines of some of best of my generation's Masculine scents and with such precision that it is breathtaking.
It opens like a blast of Napalm, blinding heat, excruciating noise and thrust of a Jet engine through the Nostrils. My first sampling had my mind shoot back to hallucinations of Morphine Withdrawal. I just had to Stop, Shower and walk away.
It took a couple months to approach it again. This time with a little more knowledge and a little more determination to work through the hell storm. I was able to work my way through this time and begin to witness some of the awaiting Beauty in the distance. About ten minutes in I'm exhausted and have to turn back once again.
Third time lucky I guess,I broke through the Sadistic barrier to reach the tingle of satisfactory Masochistic.
Kind of like moving from Jalepeno to Habanero and beyond.
Since then I have found some satisfactory mimic alternatives to play with.
All in all a Masterpiece that I respect, however not something to Love or would choose to wear.
This is my totally, Subjective View. Re if you like.
29th August, 2015 (last edited: 10th January, 2017)
I love it when I don't really like a perfume at first try but keep having to sniff my arm just to make sure I don't like it and then on a second or even third try I get it! Lonestar Memory is like that for me....I found it too strong and strange at first but now I absolutely love it!! And I'm a girl! It reminds me of an old fashioned apothecary with a first hit of strong Benzoin that wonderful aid for bad chests that we inhaled as children over a steaming bowl of water. Benzoin is one of the nicest essential oils but its difficult to get a good one (I'm also an aromatherapist) and this is stunning. I didn't get burning rubber or diesel - but I did get that Benzoin quickly followed by a sweetness redolent of the old perfume shops of my childhood. Its gorgeous!! And it lasts for ages and its interesting and you think its over and then you get another whiff. I think this one again depends on your skin type - more so than modern generic perfumes - and if it likes you then you grow to love it!! FB worthy for me.
20th May, 2015 (last edited: 10th May, 2016)
I love this and it just lasts forever. Redolent of burning rubber it's not for every occasion. Certainly stands out from the run of the mill perfumes.
11th July, 2014
Excellent. Definitely a brother/sister to LADDM. To my nose a cross between LADDM and Jeke. Wore it for the first time yesterday and kept smelling my wrist all day. Probably not for everyone, especially those who most admire the popular, mass-produced "safe" fragrances. If you want to smell great while standing out from the crowd, this may be for you. Since not everyone will like it, get a sample first.
19th June, 2014
Beautiful, complex and quite unique scent. It changes and shows you different facets according to the strenght you inspire it with; you smell the somber smoke-leather accord, but if you smell more carefully and invigoratingly, here you notice a fresh floral/earthy flash (the geranium). Signature Tauerade base and a load of spices. One of the "deepest" scents I have ever tried, and I mean physically deep - a genius structure which runs on two axes, the horizontal progression *and* the vertical depth. Really brilliant, and still quite safe and wearable. Massive projection and persistency as many other Tauer's.

19th February, 2014 (last edited: 16th April, 2014)
Another masterpiece created by the master!
At the opening I can smell a heavy dose of myrrh followed by leather and amber.
The myrrh note is dirty and kind of oily and there is some leather here to give it more dark and masculine feeling.
The semi sweet and creamy amber reminded me of another masterpiece which is "02 LADDM" and I can definitely see his/her foot prints here too!
While the opening is more masculine than feminine, in the mid, things changed even more into masculine side! in the mid the leather note became much stronger and with his powerful entrance, pushed sweet amber in the background at the same time.
The mid is a dark, bitter dry leather scent with much smoother myrrh and some dirty smoky vetiver in the background.
There is a little bit of spicy peppery scent too and I can feel it, but it's in the background.
Where is amber?!
Hey, what are you doing back there and in the corner? but it's OK, stay there for a while. it's not your turn yet!
In the base while leather, myrrh and vetiver notes are much softer and they are kind of whispering, the amber dare to take the lead.
The base is a semi sweet amber smell with all other notes completely in the background.
Projection is good and longevity is around 8-10 hours on my skin.
16th February, 2014
After a date with my girl, I get on my horse to come back home. It´s too late to make many miles and, at the middle of my path, the night falls on me. It´s too dangerous walking through the night so I decide spend the night near a big tree.

I gather some branches and light a fire with my lighter. While the wood begins to burn, I feel the burning. Suddenly, I notice that something in the back pocket of my jeans keeps me from being comfortable, I put my hand on it and pulled out a bouquet of flowers some dried and crushed. They were flowers that I was carrying for my girl, but I had forgotten to give them. By then, the fire burned completely.

I got as comfortable as I could to rest while the aroma of burning wood, my smoked leather boots and the bouquet of flowers accompanied my thoughts about my girl and how she makes me feel like a star. We should not have spent that night alone, neither she nor I. At that time, just before closing my eyes, only I had her memory; only were the Lonestar Memories.
14th October, 2012

Somewhere between Vincent Roubert's Knize Ten and Laurie Erickson's Fireside Intense, Lonestar Memories is set upon a vaguely incandescent citric/myrrhish/vetiver backdrop. While just as bold (and a good deal more complex), I find the Tauer composition more appealing than either. Farther down the smoldering leathery burnt tar trail a dollop of sugared coumarin emerges with a subtile floral accent (the jasmine I presume) wisping about, softening the whole experience. An extremely interesting peice of work, this is definitley a ride I'd enjoy taking on a regular basis.
21st July, 2012
I agree with Foetidus, to me the standout element is the leather as Lonestar Memories is basically a smoky-leathery concoction with a strong initial, slightly minty, birch tar and dark pepper blast that slides slowly towards  a final smoky woody-leathery outcome barely smoothed by amber. I smell the barbecue effect many reviewers talk about in the sense that the whiffs of leather are immediately rising from the abysses and, while surrounded by cistus, rubber and smoke, those smell slightly salty and burnt. The fragrance is original and well crafted but to me not so complelling and reather uneasy to wear. It projects some olfactory reminiscences of Mona di Orio Les Nombres D'Or-Cuir, another leather-barbecue concoction even if the latter is utterly unwearable in my opinion. Not bad but not an alfactory masterwork for sure.
Ps. Probably my taste has changed along the time but testing it again and again i kept to deeply love on my skin this wonderful smoky leather (smoky leather/rubber with a minty undertone) with its salty-spicy/ambery sophisticated spark. I detect the woodiness (sombre), a minty vibe, a notable pepper and the sharp floral whiffs, surrounded by earthiness, roots and may be tobacco, all in a sort of melancholic general mood.
24th February, 2012 (last edited: 21st December, 2013)
Lonestar Memories by Tauer - Upon application, one is barraged with a dry and raw leather as well as smoke wafting from a campfire. Outlying creosote imparts its smoked meat dimension. Woody and earthy, carrot seed accompanied by minty clary sage maneuver to the fore and impart their sweetness. This smoldering opening persists for a spell before rambling to the awaiting middle. Here, in the heart, dry cedarwood oozes its petrol dimension while a tinge of disinfectant from the birchtar of the volcanic opening presents. A pine-like, terpenic cistus awakens and infuses the mishmash with its warm, leathery scent tinged with lively pepper and heavy tar. A ravishing jasmine tempers the tumultuous melange with its sweet, floral highlight, and steers the esoteric blend to the waiting base. Captivating sandlewood with its singular, bright and fresh woodiness, mysterious myrrh with its burning rubber, soft tonka bean with its vanillic, pipe tobacco, and earthy vetiver with its dank grass and dirt, all commingle and yield an alluring, if not beguiling, mixture, which is carried to the mollified drydown. This evocative, one-of-a-kind composition has good projection and very good longevity.
16th January, 2012
After the initial blast of kerosene, it settles down to a scenario that evokes sitting beside a hot blacktop highway under a baking sun while wearing a suit made of tanned deer hides and sipping a craft root beer. (If that doesn't sound refreshing, imagine that it is, incredibly so, and then you more or less have it.)
14th January, 2012
To me Lonestar Memories takes you through a weekend with the guys hunting letting the beard grow and enjoying a great time next to a fire as you lay your head on a saddle and look up to a beautiful clear sky and a bright constillation. As the fragrance develops you're going back home to be to the wife, but prior to seeing her you stop at your favorite barbershop to get rid of the overgrown beard and get a little touch up around the ears and neck so that you are presentable to her again.
I initially get a blast of smokey leather similar to the kind you smell on a saddle or at a place where they work with raw leather. This is not the soft suede leather you find in Cuir D'Iris, Daimiris, or Palais Jamais. This leather is more along the lines of Tuscan Leather, Cuir D'ottoman which is then blended with smokey aroma. This facet last for a while but it gradually gets softer until it becomes more of a shaving cream/barbershop smell similar to Bond No9 Cooper Square or YSL Rive Gauche but a more tolerable. It smells clean as if you were getting a shave by your favorite barber. How it transition to this is beyond me. I was watching a movie with my wife and as the movie was over I noticed how much the scent had transformed. This is something that needs to be worn a few times before completely understanding all the facets of the scent. However, I can tell on my first wear that it's something that I definitely like and would wear again. I am really looking forward to trying this again and paying a little more attention to the development. The sillage is moderate and the longivity is very good. Well formulated, fantastic transitions, thumbs up......
20th November, 2011
I ordered a sample from Les Senteurs in London...

Beautiful spicy smokey leathery masculine scent...potent start and warm evolution from there...there are old pharmacy/laboratory notes of possible sulphur/urea/tar that take me back to my grandfather`s pharmacy in a small village of northern Spain as a child...how incredible is that? Thanks for that Mr Tauer...

Love all the phases of this scent...a bit like a long opera (Madame Butterfly). There is so much to analyse and consider in this scent before making a judgement...

Great longevity and sillage...

02nd October, 2011
Lonestar Memories smells like an Oilman wearing an amber fragrance at a barbecue (well, sort of). This is quite a challenging composition. It opens with a blast of spicy-smoky leather that smells halfaway between tear gas, tar, burnt rubber and, yes, barbecue. Myrrh and amber make their appearance right away adding a consistent dose of sweetness while the smoky feel remarks its presence throughout.

While Lonestar Memories is anything but easy to wear I'm still compelled by its daring smell. I tend to classify it more as a conceptual fragrance than a body one but it's definitelty a successful example of perfumery as an art.

If you're into pretty/clean fragrances, stay carefully away as this is anything but lovely.

Now I see where Lisa Kirk took the inspiration for her Revolution.
17th September, 2011
Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories is Knize Ten on horseback, exchanging Vienna for Texas, Adolf Loos for Clint Eastward, and a tailor's cherry wood interior for roadworks shimmering in the mirage of a desert highway. It's a gentleman in Western wear crumpled like the tissue paper leaves of Lonestar's heat-hardy cistus flower. And as with much of Tauer's work, it is a bewilderingly rich tableau viewed in a wide-angle format, everything present from the first spritz but needing time to settle into its rightful place.

The coarse, industrial topnotes are of leaked petrol, bubbling tar and rubber, followed by birch and myrrh, with geranium and clary sage quick on their heels, backed up with jasmine and vetiver, everything standing proud on a bedrock of amber. It's difficult not to blurt out a list of notes like this, for they all rush at one simultaneously. This is a full-bodied heavy-hitter in the vein of Patchouli 24, but with a coherence of plot and sense of purpose lacking in the Le Labo offering.

Lonestar Memories is not a scent of convenience – masterpieces are rarely that. It is also *of* the outdoors, and possibly *for* the outdoors. Its first few hours are brutish and unruly but the drydown is outstanding: a studly, stubbly hunk of a fella sporting a freshly-soaped amber glow, with the whiff of sage clinging to his chaps. It's potent enough to withstand a shower, so if you want to rein in those topnotes you can apply before washing and only then confront the world. Or better yet, don't bother with the shower.
04th March, 2011
Anything interesting on the opening was completely eclipsed by a gigantic, toxic cloud of sugary amber that appeared after about 5 minutes and seemed to last a lifetime thereafter. It had me choking and sneezing and finally staggering to the sink groping for a bar of soap and a suitcase full of paracetamol.

This is a lot like l’Air de Désert Marocain, of course - just a bit more rubbery and smoky at the start. But why does the base have to be so overwhelming? You could fight wars with this stuff.

EDIT: I'm finding I'm using the sample a lot more than I thought I would and I'm enjoying the oily suggestion of diesel immensely. I've also become accustomed to it's strong base... so I think a bottle purchase maybe imminent.
30th January, 2011 (last edited: 17th February, 2011)
Swanky Show all reviews
Right off the bat I get the menthol/camphor note along with the smoke. Rather than the refined natural smell I find in Mitsouko or Cuir De Russie, this one seems ersatz. Some have mentioned liquid smoke and that's about right. It's a bigger than life smoke rather than a true-to-life one.

Then the sweetness comes in, somewhat incongruously. I can't decide if this thing is genius or a mess. Must be art.

I fully understand the neutral and thumbs down ratings. Unlike some, I don't find this as natural as one would expect from an exclusive niche offering. While the mix of charcoal briquets and burnt maple syrup is novel, the latter sweetness by itself is rather derivative and artificial: many men's scents of the past decade have this ambery, crème brûlée vibe. Lonestar is a rich fragrance with admirable sillage and longevity so I give it a muted thumbs-up.
If you like the vanilla-sweet drydown, check out Caron's Pour Un Homme which does vanilla as well if not better for a third the price.
29th January, 2011 (last edited: 14th April, 2012)
Tar, carrot seed, clary sage and wood with flowers place Lonestar Memories somewhere beyond leather. Knize Ten and Etat Libre’s Rien are mild in comparison. LM has a much more burnt quality than these two. ‘Tar’ and ‘burnt’ do to an extent add up to notes of snubbed cigarette and charcoal but the scent ultimately LM brings to mind is burnt wood. Not the smoke of burning wood, but old campfire. LM is nowhere near a daily fragrance for me. I honestly can’t even say that all moments of LM are pleasant. But it’s worth the experience of the top notes to get to the basenotes which lose the feel of charred things and petrochemicals. The base centers on a handsome severity that only a unsmiling, unsweetened floral can give

LM is similar to Tauer’s earlier l’Air de Désert Marocain, but far less comfortable. The amber and incense of l’Air are replaced with rubber and tar in LM. By the heart, LM smells equally earthy and woody tied together by the almost sweet rubber note. The drydown is the best part, though. The floral note (jasmine? carnation?), which really only appears well into the heart, lasts until the finish where LM seems like a dry, smoky, floral tea.

I don’t wear LM very often, but it makes me think when I do.
22nd January, 2011 (last edited: 30th November, 2012)
This stuff is haunting and addictive. There is definitely the smoke. But it is the smoke of a deeply dry floral wood. I've never smelled this wood in real life, but please show me where I can get some.

I'm actually not a fan of "smokey" scents as such...this is the only one I ever felt moved to purchase. But the total experience is much more than smoke. It is deep and soulful and expansive. It does go on with a bit of petrochemical whiff rather than straight up wood smoke, but that quickly changes. For me, this doesn't choke or smell like BBQ'd meat. There is something rounded about it at all times.

As it gets into the heart, it goes floral and lightly resinous and woody mixed with the fresh air of a rugged outdoors...outdoors in the sense of a floral masculine dust? Clean smokey dust if that makes any sense. I have a difficult time discerning the base notes as separate entities, they blend seamlessly in a slightly sweet, slightly spicy floral and ghostly wood smoke. The drydown lingers and calms for hours. This has become one of my favorites.
08th October, 2010
Lonestar Memories is a carnal blaze of birch tar and leather notes that takes you completely by surprise before slowly settling down to an exquisite accord of dry florals. Most people seem to agree that this scent conjures up scenes of cowboys, camping and the great outdoors. Well, I wasn't brought up in the western hemisphere, I've never spent a night under a tent and I've never been to Texas, so those olfactory references are lost on me, but I'm not complaining for one moment, because this stuff never fails to get under my skin, captivate my soul and remind me of the visceral power of smell. Unquestionably my favourite Tauer.
26th September, 2010 (last edited: 07th October, 2010)
This one is one of the best scents.Its dry and warm,you feel and smell the desert,when you are wearing this fragrance.It developes better and better,warm,woody and spicy and lasts a very long time.
18th January, 2010
This scent is so deeply sensuously stunningly masculine it should be R-rated! Not allowed to be whiffed by the impressionable! Yes there's the man, the fire, the metallic tinge, the sea,the sky, the most extraordinary haunting evocation of beautiful male at a visceral level, and I cannot understand it. How can a perfume say so much? As a woman, how can I smell this and think of everything you would want a man to be? Its just amazingly gut-wrenchingly sexual, it causes a scrolling of powerful mind images yes, and memories, it is wonderful.
There must be secret pheromones or something here!
16th August, 2009
Lonestar memories is all about being on road for me. it'd smell like someone who wears leather jacket and boots, smokes lotta cigars and has been riding his chopper thru desert for months altogether.
It smells of roads in a sweltering afternoon, it smells of dust and hot tyres, it smells of leather and yes...this baby smokes lotta cigars.. if this fits your fancy, thn there nothing out there that's done better.
14th August, 2009 (last edited: 18th August, 2009)
Not bad actually, this L'Eau de Beef Jerky. It's a cousin of Le Labo Patchouli 24. Very strong sillage, very high longevity. Smells like Birch Tar and Incense, with a meaty note lingering through the middle.
24th February, 2009