Reviews of Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Salutation.

This is another Great fragrance in my Collection but unfortunately some times it was gives me headache however My friends tell me,when we smelled your cologne we feel in love with it.

I found ANTIDOTE V&R combination ROMANTIC and SEDUCTIVE.a bold fragrance not the meek and definitely not for the faint of heart.Elegant and Expensive.it is actually a quite complex.Woody and Spicy.

The base notes was very appealing for me.ANTIDOTE makes a drowsy winter night feel phenomenal!Perfect for special nights out on the town.well balance between Young/old but not old man.

LONGEVITY? one of the best part this cologne as it was EXCELLENT on my skin.

15th April, 2015
Well I thought I'd give it a try in giving my thoughts about this rich powerful perfume called antidote . I bought it in the first place because I was looking for a replacement for my all time favorite Envy by Gucci.(oh yeah)
There is a topic on basenotes called: what is a good replacement for envy by Gucci?
some people there mentioned Santal by Floris, so I'll gave it a try and bought the 120 dollar bottle right from the store in London, which was a great disappointment although nicely packaged in a gentleman's way. The problem with this perfume is its lack of projection, although the dry-down is exactly what I'm looking for. exactly like the divine envy by Gucci.
It's the dry-down, stupid! .
So this was it, bye bye 120 dollar . Next .
The next one I tried was Vetyver by l'Occitane, this only set me down 40 bucks.
This scent is very gloomy, earthy, almost feels like strolling in French woods on my slippers. First it's smashing in your face, like a drill instructor invading your personal space, but i like it, it's very nice and it has a natural vibe. Right fresh, and down to earth. Then some guy recommend me to buy L'Homme by YSL, but it turned out invisible on my skin although it is a nice perfume . Then finally came across this Antidote by Viktor and Rolf.
I found my holy grail at last.
I keep sniffing my wrist like a hound dog keeps sniffing a dead rabbit wrapped in bacon. This perfume, it keeps on intriguing me.
Its fresh, it is sweet it is sexy ,it is full of mystery, it is never boring like for example Bottled by Boss, and it comforts me through my days.
The ride on this one is fantastic just like Envy by Gucci had .
I think I may give my baby to you now, take care of her, and take my advice and get a bottle while you can, because soon there will no more juice of the gods, just put it on your list of groceries, OK? OK.
04th April, 2015 (last edited: 06th April, 2015)
I don't get it.
I expected a really loud fragrance given all of the notes, but it does not project at all.
I've only worn this on the backs of my hands because I don't particularly care for the smell.

Antidote quickly becomes a skin-scent but does have longevity (as a skin-scent).
The notes I do smell burn my nose and make me wonder why this costs as much as it does. I have had the tester bottle at work and let the other males try it. No one has said they are interested in it. One person said it doesn't smell that bad. Not one asked where to get it (or where I got it).
18th February, 2015

I am a lover of this perfume, really love it and buy it at any opportunity given

For those saddened by its discontinuity there is a solution which works for me, its not exactly the same but it has its similarities which makes Antidote for me the perfect scent

Get yourself a bottle of Hugo Boss Bottled if your missing antidote and need to remember some of its old vibes
15th September, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental
Antidote’s top notes are a standard issue citrus/aromatic blend, cooler and sweeter than most, and happily free of the overused “fresh” ozonic or calone components, if still a bit chemical in their demeanor. Powdery lavender, discreet white flower notes, vanillic amber, and an array of sweet spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom, fill out Antidote’s central accord and establish a plush, spicy-sweet structure that hovers somewhere between a fougère and an oriental for a while. The amber and spices outlast the aromatics, so that after an hour’s wear, Antidote has settled firmly into the oriental style.

Antidote’s drydown is much less weighty, nuanced, or complex than the pyramid given above would lead me to expect. A middle-weight woody oriental is how I would describe it, with a somewhat sanitized, bland, generic character, especially for something that’s supposed to contain labdanum, moss, and leather. There is an appealing peppery quality to Antidote’s woody base notes, an effect I attribute to guaiac wood, but its accent is not sufficient to offset the overall flatness I perceive in the drydown. Antidote projects well enough to make itself known, but does not wear heavily. It also endures for several hours, a trait I would appreciate more if its drydown were less “utilitarian.” An adequate scent, but nothing to get my pulse up over.
09th June, 2014
The opening blast of bergamot, citrus and minty freshness is very pleasant indeed, bit only a prelude to its further development. Cardamom leads to the emergence of a nutmeg note in the drydown, which combines with lavender and withe violet and lavender giving it a more floral character. After about five hours the base entails quite a change, with more wood - cedar and sandal - and a spicy note that owes its existence to a musk-patchouli combination. Towards the end I get cistus and tonka, the latter just enough to add a mild and pleasant sweetness that never clamours to be in the foreground. On my skin there is no harshness, just touches of freshness and then well-blended smoothness and warmth. The odd synthetic whiff passes by, but it never turns generic or boring. Well made, interesting and, although not truly a sommer scent, otherwise very versatile. The first phase clearly is fresher, whilst the later phases are increasingly rounded, softer and comforting. Good silage and very good projection, with an excellent longevity of over eight hours on my skin. From the spicebombers another explosively good earlier creation.
20th March, 2014
Uptight, smug and stylishly classy

In the spirit of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree but more spicy and sharp, a different approach to the former mentioned. Not better, not inferior, just different. Intertwined with old, traditional and new, modern. I can't remember the last time a scent made such an emotional impact on me except for Gucci Envy for men and V&R Antidote. The moment I tried it I knew I had to have it, period! Bought the last bottle, 125 ml and it'll no longer be imported + I heard rumors about it being discontinued. Wreathed with negative and positive emotions that constantly change one after another. While wearing Antidote, at one moment I feel as if old, already lived through my life, would like more but can't, such is the way of things. All of a sudden this negative emotion is replaced with emotion of being full of life, career, good cars, fancy restaurants and beautiful women - life, life awaits, so many great things. That kind of impact this fragrance has on me. I barely walk - I'll run a marathon, this bags are heavy - I'll do 100 kg bench press, I can't even bow - I'll do a hundred push-ups.

This fragrance is playing with my emotions, mind, creates illusions then strips them down and makes you face reality just to create another illusion right after that. This fragrance is a potion, but ironically it's not the antidote, it's poison! Mesmerising poison and I need my dosage constantly! It's a terrible shame it's discontinued - if the rumor is true, that is. Albeit the fact it's summer and weather started to get hot and sultry, I enjoy wearing it, however projection and longevity suffer quite much. In reality, this is a more temperate, colder weather fragrance which will give it's most in autumn, winter and the early spring.

Conclusion - if you can find it and it does to you what it did to me - purchase it without a second thought!

Pros: classy, formal, spicy
Cons: sillage and longevity during warmer, humid days

16th June, 2013
Beautiful, but not for everyone

This is my favourite. I will always have a bottle of this as long as it's produced. I can only say that of one other scent, Chanel's Platinum Egoiste, a very different scent to this one.

Having said that, this is not for everyone and I would STRONGLY suggest not blind buying it.

A good batch won't project too much, will have a classy, surprisingly refreshing smell that will be hard to place. A bad batch will have an odd synthetic tang to it, or may smell a little too citrusy at times and very weak projection. I left what seemed to be a bad batch sit in the fridge for about six months and it seemed to fix after that.

I've always gotten compliments on this one!

Pros: Interesting and complex scent
Cons: Batches can differ slightly

01st June, 2013
In the opening I get bergamot and mandarin with the mint perhaps tempering the two more than becoming a presence. I find myself wishing it played a greater role, but wouldn't find it wanting, had it not been listed. Half an hour in, I can make out all the middle notes, as long as I have the description in front of me. The geranium, while not overpowering is fairly easy to sense; interesting. The cinnamon bark and nutmeg emerge shortly after, out of which rises a rich, ambery mélange of woods. The woods continue to warm and develop, becoming more prominent in the drydown--which is really what this scent is all about. All this to say the fragrance triangle is pretty accurate! Whether or not it adds up to chaos depends on your taste. I find this to be complex, interesting, and appealing without being particularly exciting or unique. A 7ml bottle at 10 USD shipped is quite the deal as far as I am concerned. It should last me a long time, as I don’t imagine myself wearing every day. I will, however, enjoy it when I do. Downsides: I have to apply quite a bit to sense it properly, and the longevity leaves something to be desired, with the scent becoming rather close after about 3-4 hours. As for Antidote vs. Spicebomb, I prefer the latter, but they are apples and oranges, so I’ll leave it at that. Overall, thumb more raised than not.
22nd February, 2013
Classy, spicy, a very good combination. It is one of the best perfume in which mint is used.
15th January, 2013
Love this juice. Just name a note and you will smell it in this complex juice. Lasts forever!
14th December, 2012
I could not wait to try this other offering from V&R as spicebomb was outstainding and quickly became a favorite in my ever evolving collection. Now, I did wear it on a cool evening and the results were notable on a number levels. For one thing all the talk of cacaphony were put aside as a symphony of so many notes combined together to enrich the senses. There is an old world appeal to this fragrance. A nod to tradition while retaining a fresh contemporary feel. I have found Antidote next to impossible to acquire anywhere. What a shame as it would be one of the easiest buys this year. Now where there is darkness there is always light. In the case of Antidote the darkness is very definately in the very limited projection along with the poor longevity. If both were better, I would be hunting down full bottles of this scent to keep for years to come. But for now the 7ml minis will do fine. Victor give Rolf another pat on the back for me will ya.
08th December, 2012
Unfortunate for some of the reveiws of this fragracne...I simply fell in love with this stuff. I was very glad that I purchased a bottle. Comes off sweet, not a in girly kind of way but less stark. I notes hee blend with harmony..not seing the confusing as some suggested. Great stuff!
30th November, 2012

I love this very very short fragance. The smell is fantastic, but the longevity it's very short.
I use to take a pocket sample for reaplications
28th November, 2012
Complex and unique, Antidote beats some niche fragrances easily. I smell woods, florals and incense at the same time. It has a beautiful drydown and good lasting power. Sillage is average and projection medium. Definetely thumbs up!
29th October, 2012 (last edited: 04th January, 2013)
It smells rather confusing, chaotic. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels like it tries to do too many things, and can't find a genre in which to go to. It's closer to the unpleasant spectrum than to the pleasant one in my opinion.
23rd October, 2012
Interesting... This does a lot of things and goes through a lot of changes throughout the day, which I enjoy, but it just never really did anything to make me fall in love with it.

At first, it was that mix of vanilla, patchouli, and lavender that always reminds me of burnt caramel or creme brulee. This stage reminded me of what you'd get if you took the coffee and smoky woods out of New Haarlem and replaced them with mint and nondescript fruits. Slowly, all of this settled into a very dry tobacco leaf over non-gourmand vanilla and woods (sort of like a non-sweet Le Male, if you can imagine that), which then dried down to a pleasant woody pie spice smell.

The influences from A*Men and Le Male are pretty obvious, though I honestly don't think Antidote is as good as either of them. It's clever and doesn't just smell like everything else out there, but never really caught me.
19th October, 2012
I did enjoy Spicebomb from Viktor and Rolf, so I decided to try their Antidote (which is much different than Spicebomb, to be fair).

I was disappointed.

The problem with this one is that it has way too many ingredients, as you can see, to the point where it is over-complex and confusing. It is not even well-crafted, simply just many random ingredients mixed together. Most good fragrances convey a mood, set an atmosphere, or have a memorable note that make them so useful for a collection. This one, lacks that.

This fragrance is not awful, horrible, terrible, or even bad. It's just mediocre at best. I would rather wear nothing than wear this, to put it concisely.

I honestly can't recommend a purchase, as there are just so many other fragrances on the market in that price range that are significantly better.

Don't even sample this one. Just ignore it.
23rd August, 2012
Lots of incense in the opening, smokey, niche quality all the way. Reminiscent of a more complex Gucci Envy. Accompanied by a sweet dried fruit accord, something like cherries. Cherry in the sense of dry and old, not fresh and juicy, I think of the cherry accord in M7's opening. Cinnamon in the background, eventually becomes the front note. Finally a very resinous amber base, with the incense still kicking a little bit. Longevity is 8-10 hours on my skin, but mostly a skin scent. Very enjoyable scent here, especially if you love incense. A lot of notes listed in this one. But the main players are: incense, cinnamon, amber.
10th June, 2012
I have mixed feelings about that one... I have known Antidote for about three years now but I only tried it yesterday. At first, I thought Antidote was a little too feminine for the average guy. In fact, it shares quite a few notes with Je reviens (Worth) and for the first few minutes after I applied, it was reminiscent of that fragrance (which I love BTW) but with some clashing bitter grapefruit overtones. Soon enough, the violet took over and this is bad news for me. Violet and violet leaves smell very dusty and dry on my skin. Then as the dry-down began, the entire composition became extremely floral and synthetic not unlike some generic bathroom fresheners. Fortunately, it never fully developed and the heavier base notes remained very discreet. As a matter of fact, they were barely noticeable at all. I wince at the thought of having some animalic notes added to that rather weird mix! That being said, I cannot give Antidote a Thumbs Down rating. It is a very original and daring fragrance and I am sure it must smell absolutely wonderful on the right person.
02nd June, 2012
I would prefer to classify this is a evening/night scent, lots of amber to make you feel a little lazy, a bit classy but still casual - an antidote for a poisonous evening..
22nd May, 2012
tnamey Show all reviews
I like it. Very much. If you readers (colleagues) have read my notes on other fragrances, I can literally dissect a fragrane or build it up. I'm retiring for evening, and am to tired to write a substantial note, But this is one classy fargrance. Good night!c
02nd May, 2012
Erok32 Show all reviews
Classy scent. Good for office wear. Good longevity and projection. Sort of reminds me of Chanel Allure Homme. I'm not sure if I love it, but it smells fresh and somewhat interesting.
09th April, 2012
A pleasant and elegant oriental/green fragance with medium longevity (4-5 hours).

It's original and well made.
22nd March, 2012
Nice, a little of everything! Good all year round. Interesting, I like this a lot.
15th March, 2012 (last edited: 17th March, 2012)
drseid Show all reviews
I planned on writing a detailed review of Antidote, but while scrolling down, I confess I would almost be copying [B]Alfarom's[/B] opinion almost word for word as I had the same thoughts when I tried it. It is quite synthetic smelling, and yes as he already stated, it smells way too familiar to merit much interest. A blind buy disappointment for me... A very average 2.5 star out of 5 scent, IMO.
18th February, 2012 (last edited: 22nd December, 2012)
Antidote by Viktor & Rolf - One is immediately treated to a fresh and cooling, citrus opening, furnished by the zesty grapefruit, nectarous mandarin and tart bergamot, with a twist of sharp mint. Tumbling to the flush middle, the sweet florals of fruity freesia, green geranium, earthy violet, light lavender and citrusy orange bloosom are nicely encased by the warm and pleasant spices of nutmeg and cinnamon. This lovely, strong heart meanders to the robust base. Here, a pastiche of evocative leather, lively incense, creamy amber, sweet vanilla, murky vetiver, resinous labdanum, clean treemoss, smoky guaiacwood, carroty iris, dry white cedar, bright sandalwood, powdery tonka beans, herbaceous patchouli and soapy white musk bombard you with scents you have experienced a thousand times before. Remarkably, this motley assault leads to an entertaining and intriguing drydown. This high-quality enterprise is very versatile in light of its kaleidoscopic heads, and can be worn any time and any season. A one-stop wonder, this amalgamated composition has excellent longevity and good projection.
16th December, 2011
Excellent fragrance - and so truly unique!! A lot going on here, as pointed out from many other reviews. I have really liked Antidote since first purchasing it and feel it is both remarkable and special - not an everyday fragrance, yet it could be as it is so inoffensive and provoking. The freshness is astounding - I get a wonderful crisp mint with citrus (mandarin and grapefuit prevalent) along with a dash of cardamom that gives an immediate clean with an earthy and spicy edge, yet remaining a light, airy freshness rarely found. Awesome! After a while, it wams on my skin and brings out a baking spice (nutmeg/ground cinnamon) and violet middle that is so intoxicating - probably my favorite phase is during the entire experience. I don't get a lot of lavender, but a hint of geranium and freesia (yet remaining a nice warm minty note even now). The mint never leaves - it just warms up. The stages blend together seamlessly. In the drydown, I don't get a heady incense, but one that is refined (a nice quality stick of fresh and unburned sandalwood as opposed to a heavy lit/smoking scent) along with a nice white cedar/white musk and iris (with a hint of tonka bean) - while still retaining (amazingly) a sense of freshness from the top through the middle. Antidote shines as a truly well-concocted potion of perfumery - astounding is a good adjective. A full palate is displayed - but no one one color is too loud. The "tree" of olfactory notes sounds like there is almost too much going on and one would think it could be muddled - but that is where I find my fondness and true love for Antidote. Antidote was masterfully blended with a pinch of this, a hint of that, a sprinkle of something else and a dash of absolute brilliance! I find that this love potion will wear different depending upon climate, skin chemistry and even mood, you could get something different almost every time (but something always impressive). It is so amazing in all its subtleties, yet is noticeable and draws attention (very positive)!. I wore it today with the After Shave Balm and didn't feel it was a particularly strong scent - in fact, I sprayed a few extra shots being that it is a cold, crisp day and wanted it to last. I encountered a college-aged girl on the way to an afternoon occassion. She was never closer than 5 feet away from me and she said, "You smell so good!" I said thank you and returned a nice warm smile. I got several more compliments even hours later. Fantastic stuff and definitely a top-shelf choice from Viktor & Rolf...kudos! This is modern perfumery done incredibly well - magical! I give 4.5/5 stars and two thumbs up.
05th December, 2011
There are several reasons that I really love this fragrance.
Lets start with the main reason that I blind bought this! ...... THE NAME!
The name somehow give me nostalgic feeling! remind me of 1996 and great video name named Resident Evil!
The place who you should bring antidote for a guy who has been bitten by a huge snake and save his life! :-p
Another thing, the scent.
Very mature, masculine, complex and beautiful scent.
The opening is fresh and slightly sweet with huge dose of spicy notes from cardamom and nutmeg(mostly cardamom).
There are some woods in the background too and you can smell it.
Busy opening but at the same time very complex. because the quality is great and you can smell and separate all these notes by your nose. this is what I call quality and complexity.
In the mid, spicy notes settle down but still they are strong, mixed with stronger woods and beautiful patchouli note. the fresh smell still exist, but it's in the background. still very complex and great.
Now in the base woods are stronger than spicy notes plus some sweetness and some soapy vibe that give you refreshing feeling and it's very beautiful.
I can smell some floral notes specially jasmine as well, but it's in the background.
You should spend more time with this fragrance to realize how complex and great it is.
It does has several different notes in every step to make it complex and make you stop to say boooorrrriiiiinnnggg!
Projection is great and longevity is really good.
And one thing that I forgot to say is, the smell somehow has classic vibe, but it's mostly in the modern side.
12th November, 2011 (last edited: 20th November, 2012)
This fragrance is one of my favorites. It can be worn in a lot of different situations and it lasts for almost the entire day (it wares off at around 9 p.m if it was applied at 7 a.m). In my opinion, it stands out without choking every passerby. The situations i normally use it for are: a day in the city, some quieter parties, and winter evenings.

If you need to know the scent before buying (and the wide variety of notes aren't enough), I would say it's a nice warm scent that goes great with sweaters.
08th November, 2011