Neutral Reviews of Acqua di Sale by Profumum

Find out more about Acqua di Sale by Profumum in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

Acqua di Sale is not immediately likeable, but there is a sense of a complex group of olfactory notes that makes you want to keep sniffing it. I call that type of fragrance cerebral or conceptual.
    On my first testing, I didn't care for it and tossed it in my 'N0' box. I always retest these and the second time around, found the unusual and complex arrangement interesting.
    Cool, cerebral, with celery, marine and green notes on opening, and dry astringency in the background. There is a pronounced synthetic vibe, which I assume to be purposeful, as it co-habits the composition.
    I don't think this is for many people - you have to like the idea of wearing an abstract fragrance, which in spite of the marine notes and associations, I still think this is. Most times I don't. But I have to say I think it has kind of a spare uncompromising personality that is clean and crisp. Does that mean I'm going to buy a bottle? Not for myself. But I see its appeal, and can envision it on one friend I know, an architect.

07 January, 2014

hotreds's avatar
    hotreds

nasty

reminds me of fishy sea shore. Not what I like to smell like!

23 May, 2013

exciter76's avatar
    exciter76

I took an afternoon excursion over to The Scent Bar in Los Angeles after a year of salivating over fragrances and samples from the boutique’s website. Though the store was a tad bit larger than a walk-in closet, it was a walk-in closet from heaven. I was overwhelmed by and in awe of the selection of niche fragrances, especially as a niche virgin. As anyone reading this can tell I am still coming down from the adrenaline rush of finally making the trip. I rattled off a list of fragrances I wanted to smell when the sa (or, proprietor?) asked me point-blank, “What do you like in a perfume and how do you want to feel when you wear it?” Way to tactfully get me to focus! I expressed interest in unusual beachy scents. This is one of many scents he had me try. This is the one that stood out among the many beach scents.

This starts out with a seemingly intentional artificial orange blossomy scent, which mimics old school Coppertone in my mind. (Peculiar, I get orange blossom though it is clearly not in this, or at least not listed anywhere.) Underlying this is the saltiness of a light sweat in the summer’s afternoon sun along with the driftwood and seaweed of the ocean’s air. The screechingly sweet artificiality of the Coppertone note keeps me from absolutely loving it. Yet it is the entire mix—including the artificial note—that keeps me sniffing compulsively. I love it, then I find myself annoyed by the overwhelming Coppertone note, and then I round back to loving it again. This fragrance truly confuses me! One interesting thing about this fragrance: it has the ability to transport the wearer and others around the wearer to the nearest deserted beach as the fog rolls in, when the smell of the tide is strongest. Love it or hate it, you’re going to be transported to the beach; the sillage will be taking others along with you, as this is a sillage monster.

With the complex woody drydown I would personally consider this an ozonic chypre (if there is such a thing; if not, this fragrance proves there should be). I do not typically care for chypres but I find them the most interesting of all the scents in the fragrance kingdom. This is among the most interesting of the chypres I have yet smelled. I don’t have the $240.00+ for this and if I did I am not so sure I would make the investment in this. I prefer the safety of the waters provided by Lilly Pulitzer’s Beachy but this is certainly a beach adventure in a bottle.

01st April, 2012

foetidus

Seaweed, ozonics, and a little salt. I’d say it’s a pretty accurate presentation of a natural beach if that matters at all… Acqua di Sale gives me the seaweed smell that I neither like nor dislike. This seaweed green smell combines with a nice ozonics and cedar wood accord. Although the opening itself is rather harsh, it soon lowers its intensity quite a bit to present this soft ocean accord. It performs linearly on my skin: It is more natural than not; it’s accurate; I don’t find it very dramatic or even interesting.

28 November, 2009

L'Aventurier's avatar
    L'Aventurier

Let me start by saying that this only smells like ocean because you expect it to. In reality, it smells more like baby wipes, something slightly fecal (a la Musc Ravageur), and a slightly salty kind of play-doe smell with overtones of Noxzema creme… Not at all what I was expecting! It smells less like the ocean, and more like human skin drying in the sun after a dip in the ocean. To me, Aqua di Sale is a definitely a skin scent – over-apply it and you’ll probably just get a bunch of play-doe and Noxzema – wear the right amount and you’ll end up smelling like as though your skin just naturally smells great. Although Aqua di sale smells more realistic than Sel de Vetiver, I personally prefer Sel de Vetiver because it smells (different and is) better overall with the same kind of effect…

nota bene: While Erolfa and Aqua Bulgari smell more like the ocean, Sel de Vetiver and Acqua di sale smell more like ocean-kissed skin. (Therefore, Acqua de Sale is one of those fragrances I can only enjoy on skin, not my clothes).

04 December, 2008

twinpeaker's avatar
    twinpeaker

IMO, it is very linear; it does not develop over time on my skin. On me, it is very anisic, with a powerful, artificial musk base that is reminiscent of fresh laundry. Which can be nice as part of a bigger picture, but on me it stayed on those two notes (licorice musk) like a laser beam for 12 hours. In my opinion, the CDG fragrances that do the fresh laundry-ozonic thing are preferable, if they don't give you a headache. And I agree with the other reviewer who said that Sel de Vetiver is a more successful ozonic scent; it is a fully-developed, rounded-out scent with a nice evolution that includes vetiver and iris notes.

To be fair, I am not a fan of the "marine" scents. I feel they are like the "grape" flavoring in hard candy that we have all come to label as "generic grape" but bear no resemblance to any fruit found in nature. In the right hands this kind of artifice can be inspired, though. Take Jean Claude Ellena's Eau The Vert, which has come to represent the smell of green tea, but really smells nothing like it. My hope is that the technical and artistic challenge of re-creating a convincing impression of fresh ocean breezes will push perfumers to try new ideas and take chances. Hope springs eternal...

29 October, 2008

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar
    Kahuna Cowboy

This probably has the most authentic salt water/ozone note in the history of perfumery, for better or worse. It makes me think of a dark, stormy, cold night on a harbor minus the brine smell and seagull poop.

This is not a beach fragrance, nor a vision of a Nautica ad. ADS is for the hardcore sea scent guys who care more about the authentic sea notes rather than a pretty aquatic cologne.

It's nice but not for me.

09 October, 2008

silverbullet's avatar
    silverbullet

I agree somewhat with Vibert on the licorice and cucumber, but I think it's the marine algae that's appealing to me. It's just OK.

16 May, 2008