Reviews of Acqua di Sale by Profumum

Find out more about Acqua di Sale by Profumum in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClassicFan's avatar

Very similar to Hyle but much stronger scent. There's a Marine accord but it's less fake smelling than most and the cedarwood definitely gives off a vibe of wood floating in water. The ingredients are good and the sillage and longevity are better the Hyle. The myrtle and cedarwood mix well together and the algae gives off an oceanic greenness. The price is exorbitant for either Hyle or Acqua di Sale. Those who love licorice will love these scents because the Myrtle (I think) smells like it.

22nd November, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Aquatic

Licorice anyone? That, and a bit of cucumber are honestly all I get from Acqua di Sale. A big disappointment.

10th June, 2014

flathorn's avatar

Acqua di Sale is not immediately likeable, but there is a sense of a complex group of olfactory notes that makes you want to keep sniffing it. I call that type of fragrance cerebral or conceptual.
    On my first testing, I didn't care for it and tossed it in my 'N0' box. I always retest these and the second time around, found the unusual and complex arrangement interesting.
    Cool, cerebral, with celery, marine and green notes on opening, and dry astringency in the background. There is a pronounced synthetic vibe, which I assume to be purposeful, as it co-habits the composition.
    I don't think this is for many people - you have to like the idea of wearing an abstract fragrance, which in spite of the marine notes and associations, I still think this is. Most times I don't. But I have to say I think it has kind of a spare uncompromising personality that is clean and crisp. Does that mean I'm going to buy a bottle? Not for myself. But I see its appeal, and can envision it on one friend I know, an architect.

07th January, 2014

hotreds's avatar

nasty

reminds me of fishy sea shore. Not what I like to smell like!

23rd May, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar

The smell of a brisk coastal walk in a remote area

My ocean scents are this, erolfa and sel marine. Of the 3 this smells the most like the ocean. Imagine you are walking along a rustic beach on a cloudy cool day, and the sea smashes against the rocks with the air having tiny fragments of sea water in it. Take a deep smell of that and you get the essence of aqua di sale. I like it as its quite unique - where sel marine is salty this is briny, there are no sweeting elements here like lemons or sun burnt woods its just ocean with a capital o. It's not a compliment getter but it is very refreshing in heat, you wear this for yourself. Definitely a day scent. The juice itself is quite oily but the longevity is good although it is quite linear after the first 20 mins. The bottle is solid and you get a decant roll on bottle in the box which is a good idea although with longevity like this you won't need to reapply for a good 8 hours. Worth checking out if you want an ocean scent and are not on a tight budget.

18th May, 2013

J.B. Grenouilleis's avatar

France France

This high quality fragrance is the best aquatic summer scent I know. It by far gets the best feedback of all my scents. People ask me all the time what I am wearing.

Its olfactory notes are: myrtle, cedar wood and seaweed. It smells like a a summer day at the beach: sweet and dry, salty and fresh. It is simple and complex at the same time and lasts for about 8 hours, which IMO is outstanding for an aquatic scent which is 100% organic - no sythetics!

The reason for its longevity is its high percentage of natural essences: 43% (the perfume is quite oily which calls for caution when spraying on while wearing clothes). And it also explains why it does not cost 15 EUR but 180 EUR for100ml. Considering its high percentage of fragrance essences and the resulting longevity and yield, this price is absolutely acceptable and clearly within the price range of high quality perfumes. Those negative Italian reviews below are ridicoulous and appear to only reflect social jealousy.

The fragrance comes with a mini roll-on and a funnell which allows you to carry the fragrance with you on travels without having to take the whole bottle. Due to the oily texture and the resulting risk for clothes, I basically only use the roll-on.

12th July, 2012

exciter76's avatar

I took an afternoon excursion over to The Scent Bar in Los Angeles after a year of salivating over fragrances and samples from the boutique’s website. Though the store was a tad bit larger than a walk-in closet, it was a walk-in closet from heaven. I was overwhelmed by and in awe of the selection of niche fragrances, especially as a niche virgin. As anyone reading this can tell I am still coming down from the adrenaline rush of finally making the trip. I rattled off a list of fragrances I wanted to smell when the sa (or, proprietor?) asked me point-blank, “What do you like in a perfume and how do you want to feel when you wear it?” Way to tactfully get me to focus! I expressed interest in unusual beachy scents. This is one of many scents he had me try. This is the one that stood out among the many beach scents.

This starts out with a seemingly intentional artificial orange blossomy scent, which mimics old school Coppertone in my mind. (Peculiar, I get orange blossom though it is clearly not in this, or at least not listed anywhere.) Underlying this is the saltiness of a light sweat in the summer’s afternoon sun along with the driftwood and seaweed of the ocean’s air. The screechingly sweet artificiality of the Coppertone note keeps me from absolutely loving it. Yet it is the entire mix—including the artificial note—that keeps me sniffing compulsively. I love it, then I find myself annoyed by the overwhelming Coppertone note, and then I round back to loving it again. This fragrance truly confuses me! One interesting thing about this fragrance: it has the ability to transport the wearer and others around the wearer to the nearest deserted beach as the fog rolls in, when the smell of the tide is strongest. Love it or hate it, you’re going to be transported to the beach; the sillage will be taking others along with you, as this is a sillage monster.

With the complex woody drydown I would personally consider this an ozonic chypre (if there is such a thing; if not, this fragrance proves there should be). I do not typically care for chypres but I find them the most interesting of all the scents in the fragrance kingdom. This is among the most interesting of the chypres I have yet smelled. I don’t have the $240.00+ for this and if I did I am not so sure I would make the investment in this. I prefer the safety of the waters provided by Lilly Pulitzer’s Beachy but this is certainly a beach adventure in a bottle.

01st April, 2012

Amos Jolthead's avatar

I find that ADS suits me well. It has great longevity and has what I would describe as a rather cantabile manner. It just flows well, even if some find it a bit linear. I did not like this upon my initial smell - it smelled like pure tanning oil to me. But once I applied it, I realized it was much more than that. It does smell a bit like tanning oil, but also has a sweet and salty smell at the same time (more sweet than salty, although the salt is there, at least in the middlenotes). I'm not for sure what exactly it is that I like about the smell, I can't name you the exact notes, and I'm just not sure what algae smells like (or for that matter why so many people know what algae smells like). I have noticed a common theme in some of the negative reviews. It looks like people who have smelled or worn similar fragrances do not like ADS. This might have something to do with the expensive price. But I have not worn an ocean-like scent before and I find it quite pleasant. Lasts on me around 8-9 hours. The downside to this fragrance is that it's absurdly expensive, over 200$ or so for a bottle. And that may be justice enough to rate this negatively.

08th November, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Mediocre un-original scent despite the erupted chaos in Italy which till nowadays highlights it as a cult fragrance among the ignorant members of the middle class guided (and manipulated) by the great invisible joystick (without people knowing that the notorious Reminiscence maison introduced almost at the same time (later, before?) Rem -and more recently Sea Rem- which is a better crafted subtle stuff costing half of the Profumum Roma Acqua di Sale's price). This is also the expensive version of Fiore dell'onda by l'Erbolario (about € 15 for a 100 ml). Acqua di Sale is nothing but synthetic seaweeds, ozonic chemical elements and salt couteracted by sweet soft balmy ingredients in order to play the game of contrasts end exalt in a soapy way the unsteady "mild saltiness" of the wake. No trace of texture, of realism, just cloying balmy/salty detergent obsession. The note of myrtle adds its particular hint of woodsy vibe like for an ideal coastal grove to conjure and the salty influence in this game of opposites provides for the balmy notes a sort of organic, almost carnal, vibe. Seaweeds combined with several obscure elements (fruity, soapy, woodsy) produce that sort of licorice-cucumber (finally soapy) effect which many talk about and that hangs out as a sort of rubbery, laundry/detergent and synthetic candied vibe. The astringent cedarwod keeps balance exalting the salty side of the spectrum. It's exaggerated to talk about something to be immediately scrubbed off but I can easily say this one is a boring destructured balmy/marine mixture with a bath-foam temperament, a mass appeal but with any trace of elegance, texture or originality.

02nd June, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th July, 2014)

digger51's avatar

I can not say why I like it, but I do. It is not your typical "marine" scent as it is a little "dirty" but it does smell like the ocean as you approach it from the inland valleys. It is pleasant to smell, have decent projection and lasts a good while. I know it has gotten poor reviews but I give it a thumbs up.

20th March, 2011

alfarom's avatar

In italy this is a cult scent for all the snob-ish ladies without class but with a biiiiiig credit card. A scent that litterally makes me laughing so hard I cant' breathe. You can easly buy Demeter's Rain for 10 bucks and tell everybody it's acqua di sale, no one will notice. Actually they're not really similar, but no one will notice, anyway! ahahahahahah, sorry I was talking about acqua di sale and couldn't stop laughing...

if you really like acquatic scents go for Tirrenico by I Profumi Del Forte, here follows I review I just made:

I had a sample of Tirrenico a few monthes ago and, as I'm generally not into aquatic scents, I forgot it in a box. One day I was removing a few books from a shelf and I found the decant again so I gave it a try and I totally got suprised. Tirrenico is litterally amazing and stunning. No ozone bull***t here, but a real oceanic fragrance. IMO the only one really recalling the wet sand, marine wet woods and shells giving you the feeling of an exclusive, paradisiac beach. Longevity is super, great sillage and last but not least, lasting power is absolutely unique for an aquatic fragrance (10-12 hours). Another good point is the drydown as most of the marine scents often turn into something else that is sometimes soapy, sometimes fruity etc etc...this one stays fresh, vibratin and aquatic...It's like to have a fresh water fountain followiong you for the whole day! Amazing!

Obviously I immediately decided I had to have a bottle...and I got it!

06th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th April, 2011)

fumes4ever's avatar

Another fragrance I'm surprised doesn't go down better with the basenotes crowd!

I thought I was spending a lot of money for 100 ml of basically very concentrated seawater and wondered whether I might try to part with some of it to mitigate the expenditure. After strapping her on awhile, though, it's camphor that I get as the main event with a realistic marine thing sort dancing about on the periphery like the monkeys around the black door thing in 2001. This fragrance is strange - decidedly magical in its strange way. In "feeling" (not in scent) has an affinity, I think, with patchouli in its overtones of something not terribly clean (which is an interesting take on "ocean" "ozone" etc, antithetical to the usual conceptions) if not downright unsanitary down by the water. A freshly varnished pier or ... the floor of a sauna with the steam off (saying this I reveal to myself a certain connection to Tann Roka is it Shisu, only the Tann Roka has the steam on, leans towards the feminine whereas this fragrance is leaning if not to the masculine side than to the ascetic/conceptual side that says anything but girly ladylike matronly or dread "old lady". Thinking about how there is fundamentally a comme des garcons aesthetic to this creation also brings to mind Hinok - a not too terribly distant relative (I should sniff Hinoki again to feel sure this is correct though).

I went to dinner with a friend tonight who appeared to be quite allergic to it though, he was sneezing the entire time. We were separated for a time towards the end of the visit and I do think he stopped sneezing when he got away from me.

I'd give it two thumbs up if we were allowed to use both hands!

31st January, 2011

Seaweed, ozonics, and a little salt. I’d say it’s a pretty accurate presentation of a natural beach if that matters at all… Acqua di Sale gives me the seaweed smell that I neither like nor dislike. This seaweed green smell combines with a nice ozonics and cedar wood accord. Although the opening itself is rather harsh, it soon lowers its intensity quite a bit to present this soft ocean accord. It performs linearly on my skin: It is more natural than not; it’s accurate; I don’t find it very dramatic or even interesting.

28th November, 2009

flouris's avatar

This is horrible, the first scent I've had to scrub off in a very long time. All I get is one big sweet chemical that is overwhelmingly nauseating. It is slightly cucumberish/licorice as others have mentioned, but it has this sickening synthetic sweetness that almost feels like it stains my throat with its smell. As with most truly bad fragrances, the sillage and longevity is extreme.

13th October, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

I think this one is awful. On top, I get a metallic note, a noxema note and a sweet-nothing note. And then, just when it seems it can’t get any worse, the algae accord shows up! I don’t like this one at all! (It does feel like a more conventional (and dull) aquatic later in the drydown, but it isn't worth waiting for.)

30th August, 2009

Outlandish's avatar

I'm going against the grain here, as I love this. Once you get past the first somewhat antiseptic burst, it lingers on my skin and smells fresh, slightly salty and fabulous.

09th July, 2009

AnthonyDG's avatar

I promised myself before rating anything with a Thumb's Down, I'd give some solid reasons for doing so. Especially Profumum, which is a great house.

With Acqua di Sale I don't even know where to start. Something right from the start was totally repulsive, and I don't care what it was. I don't get the marine, the aquatic, anything... just a headache and a bit of nausea.

Those who enjoy it - kudos. I'm not sure what exactly there is to enjoy.

15th June, 2009

jrd4t's avatar

This was just awful. It has some sort of accord in it that almost triggers the gag reflex, not unlike Secretions Magnifique. I think it's an iodine note that you get hit with in the back of your throat. If this is a beach, it's definitely not one I want to be visiting.
    Unfortunately, it's also quite tenacious. Just a few swipes from the sample vial and I was wafting it everywhere. I seldom encounter "scrubbers," but I did actually have to scrub this off as best I could. It's just not good.

01st June, 2009

michau's avatar

Poland Poland

rubber and strawberries in one fragrance(!)
    i can find in this some hints of iodione but aqua di sale doesn't remind me the sea at all. it opens with rubber-latex, a carbon copy of comme des garcons garage, and evokes into stawberry cotton candy. very good longevity.

07th May, 2009

moss1310's avatar

Ugh, this is awful. I expected the beach but got overpowering black licorice and the smell of those mosquito repelling candles. The salt smell is so faint and dies so quickly that it almost isnt worth mentioning. Not Il Profumo's best.

11th March, 2009

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Imagine a beautiful saltwater beach, sunny and packed with people, some have lotion on, some smell like camphor-sunscreen/noxcema, and just off the beach, is a resort hotel with a chlorine pool. you are standing at the back of the beach, near the hotel pool. From here, if you turn towards the beach, you smell the saltwater and the lotion/sunscreen. what a refreshing smell. You then turn back towards the hotel pool, just in time to see someone carrying soda, nachos, and a little candy get pushed right into the pool. it causes a big splash and all the food scatters over the waters surface. 3 surprised children in the pool simultaneously sh!t their bathing suits, and the feces float amongst the soda/nachos/candy. it all floats together in the chlorine water, and a breeze blows the smell out towards you, and you are now having trouble smelling the ocean air. you move back out towards the ocean, away from the pool, but the breeze is still blowing out. hopefully they clean the feces and food out of that pool soon. meanwhile, mothers are applying purel to their hands, after frantically wiping their children with baby wipes, upon taking them out of the pool.

it smells like that.

31st January, 2009

L'Aventurier's avatar

Let me start by saying that this only smells like ocean because you expect it to. In reality, it smells more like baby wipes, something slightly fecal (a la Musc Ravageur), and a slightly salty kind of play-doe smell with overtones of Noxzema creme… Not at all what I was expecting! It smells less like the ocean, and more like human skin drying in the sun after a dip in the ocean. To me, Aqua di Sale is a definitely a skin scent – over-apply it and you’ll probably just get a bunch of play-doe and Noxzema – wear the right amount and you’ll end up smelling like as though your skin just naturally smells great. Although Aqua di sale smells more realistic than Sel de Vetiver, I personally prefer Sel de Vetiver because it smells (different and is) better overall with the same kind of effect…

nota bene: While Erolfa and Aqua Bulgari smell more like the ocean, Sel de Vetiver and Acqua di sale smell more like ocean-kissed skin. (Therefore, Acqua de Sale is one of those fragrances I can only enjoy on skin, not my clothes).

04th December, 2008

luvzzme's avatar

I wished some cucumber was even in my skin. 100% Licorice or, the Chinese analgesic oil, or the Chinese bug repellent. I guess I'm not as disappointed than some of you because unisex rarely work for my chemistry.

09th November, 2008

twinpeaker's avatar

IMO, it is very linear; it does not develop over time on my skin. On me, it is very anisic, with a powerful, artificial musk base that is reminiscent of fresh laundry. Which can be nice as part of a bigger picture, but on me it stayed on those two notes (licorice musk) like a laser beam for 12 hours. In my opinion, the CDG fragrances that do the fresh laundry-ozonic thing are preferable, if they don't give you a headache. And I agree with the other reviewer who said that Sel de Vetiver is a more successful ozonic scent; it is a fully-developed, rounded-out scent with a nice evolution that includes vetiver and iris notes.

To be fair, I am not a fan of the "marine" scents. I feel they are like the "grape" flavoring in hard candy that we have all come to label as "generic grape" but bear no resemblance to any fruit found in nature. In the right hands this kind of artifice can be inspired, though. Take Jean Claude Ellena's Eau The Vert, which has come to represent the smell of green tea, but really smells nothing like it. My hope is that the technical and artistic challenge of re-creating a convincing impression of fresh ocean breezes will push perfumers to try new ideas and take chances. Hope springs eternal...

29th October, 2008

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

This probably has the most authentic salt water/ozone note in the history of perfumery, for better or worse. It makes me think of a dark, stormy, cold night on a harbor minus the brine smell and seagull poop.

This is not a beach fragrance, nor a vision of a Nautica ad. ADS is for the hardcore sea scent guys who care more about the authentic sea notes rather than a pretty aquatic cologne.

It's nice but not for me.

09th October, 2008

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The unmentionable sickening note (translates as sort of stale/metallic/salty) in Secretions Magnifiques (and to a lesser degree in Skarb) meets the driftwood and aquatic accords of Preparation Parfumee and ends up in a candy sweet mess. It seems oceanic scents simply can't be made.

13th August, 2008

Astaroth's avatar

I tried this at the Scent Bar in Los Angeles today, pitting it against Il Profumo's Aria di Mare to see which was the more authentic marine fragrance. Lucky Scent describes Acqua di Sale as "the most realistic ocean scent we have ever encountered," and I am inclined to agree. There's no tanning lotion here; it just smells like you're catching an ocean breeze. Very authentic, and it lasts quite a while too. I applied it at 6pm and it is still detectable at 4am. And it hasn't morphed into some strange non-oceanic brew either; it's still just like sitting at the beach.

Having said that, it's pretty pricey, more than twice as much as the Aria di Mare for the same 100ml. And while the Aria di Mare starts out as a less authentic marine scent, it's drydown approaches a nice level of authenticity. So, if money is a concern and you can live with 95% of Acqua di Sale's authenticity, I recommend the Aria di Mare. But, if you really want total authenticity so that you can close your eyes and feel like you're really sitting right at the edge of the ocean, from application to drydown, Acqua di Sale is what you have been looking for.

06th July, 2008

silverbullet's avatar

I agree somewhat with Vibert on the licorice and cucumber, but I think it's the marine algae that's appealing to me. It's just OK.

16th May, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

I was extremely disappointed with Acqua di Sale. How hard is it to mess up a beachy fragrance? Well, here is a textbook example of one such disaster. First of all, there is waaaaay too much of that artificial cheap-smelling musk that just sticks in the back of my throat. The ozonic notes are flabby and anyways are overpowered by the musk. Also, it has some major sillage so be careful when applying it unless you are sure that this is for you. In short, Acqua di Sale is a synthetic-smelling poor quality perfume.

If you want a perfect beach scent, try CB I Hate Perfume's Mr. Hulot's Holiday which has a clean, realistic smell of beach, salt air, driftwood, etc... It blows Acqua di Sale out of the water (pun intended). Bond's Fire Island also puts Acqua di Sale to shame.

02nd May, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th May, 2008)

nthny's avatar

I grew up in Florida and the beach and taking day trips in the boat really hold a special place in my heart. I received my sample of Acqua di Sale there, in Florida, and I had a chance to wear it in the setting. My mom and I sampled this together, and we both really crinkled our noses. Phew! It's more than a little off putting in the OPENING, with a strong Noxema-esque quality. I sense a melange of REALLY SOUR citrus coming together with sea weed to create this pungency, like extracting the bitterest part of the opening of a lemon/lime peel (just the sensation, not the actual fragrance note). It is so bitter at points, it actually makes my mouth water. After about an hour, when a lot of that pungency dissipates, it's not completely unlike imagining sticking your head over the side of a boat on a REALLY SUNNY DAY and dunking your head under, mouth open, and getting a little up your nose too.

So, in Florida I really didn't enjoy it. But now that I've returned home, it takes me right back to riding in the boat with my dad and the dogs: The smell of drying salt water on the dogs' fur, the smell of acidic slightly poluted Gulf of Mexico water. It's the smell of untying boat line from the dock, it's the smell of this scene: huge white boats, sails reaching toward the sky, barnacles, big blue sky and pillowy white clouds, sea gulls, salt and sun soaked beach furniture, warping boards of wood, the sun directly overhead putting a smile on everyone's face. Now that I've worn it several times, away from the beach, I'm sold.. it's a fantastically evocative fragrance.

03rd April, 2008