Reviews of Santalum by Profumum

Find out more about Santalum by Profumum in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Preston H's avatar

This is the sexiest perfume I own. It's a little overpowering at first, spray it on 30 mins before you leave your house and let this beast calm down a little. This is an Italian version of sandalwood, and it's not sweet n creamy. This is a manly, sweaty, musky sandalwood, base notes calls it shared, but the only woman that can pull this off is like a lady gaga or Rihanna type. Projection and longevity are an A+. This stuff oozes sex, be easy on the trigger though..

20th November, 2012 (Last Edited: 16th March, 2014)

alfarom's avatar

A minimalistic concoction of cinnamon, sandalwood and myrrh. Smells good and smells exactly like the sum of its parts. Spicy, woody and a bit resinous. Well crafted and honest (with the exception of the price which is anything but).

18th December, 2011

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

(Vintage Version)
    Profumum is run by a bunch of Dadaists who get a kick out of selling weird caricatures of perfumes for dead-serious prices. Santalum is a failure in this respect, as it is actually halfway decent, though it is not primarily a sandalwood fragrance and pretty synthetic as well, while its simple composition cries out for quality naturals. For the money, get yourself some real sandalwood from La Via del Profumo.

04th May, 2011

nsamadi's avatar

Santalum is a sandalwood fragrance, unlike any sandalwood fragrance you'll try. Don't expect a woody or creamy sandalwood. The sandalwood in this almost smells like a spoiled tropical fruit, like a papaya. I'm not 100% sure, but the sandalwood might be of the Hawaiian island species. Not Indian or Australian. It almost has this off-putting pungent note in the top, a little weird, but intriguing at the same time.

With Santalum, you'll get a balance of sandalwood, myrrh and cinnamon. None of the notes overpower each other. The myrrh isn't incense-y, but gives Santalum a nice depth and darkness, a little dusty, while the cinnamon adds a little spice, and mainly warmth. It's linear, simple and balanced. I don't see this being an every day scent, due to its potency and un-complexity, you'll either get nose fatigue or get bored with it. Expect a very heavy, dark, thick, oily, one-spray only scent with Santalum.

As for the reformulation, the pale yellow juice, it used to be a dark brown/black, as dark as red wine. I found it to contain less sandalwood, due to its rare supply now. The myrrh lacking the depth and darkness it once had. It seems the myrrh now gives the scent a more airy aspect. Also, that brief weird note at the top is gone. On the positive side, I found the older formulation strictly a cold weather scent, but now it's versatile and light enough for any weather.

02nd February, 2011

wren08's avatar

This is my favorite sandalwood to date and I love sandalwood! I'm not as happy with the reforumlation as I was with the original version but after all the alcohol gets out of the way, it is still quite wonderful. I wear this on days when my stress level is likely to be high as I find even a whiff of it to be very calming and smooth as silk. It is wood- but a vey highly polished wood- no rough edges here. It also lasts quite a long time- I applied it at 8 this morning and was still getting whiffs (and compliments) at 8 tonight from one spritz. Now that's staying power!

13th December, 2009

Stephan's avatar

Belgium Belgium

This fragrance is a perfect and simple combination of sandalwood, myrrh and cinnamon. The lasting power is excellent. In the Profumum collection, it's my favorite together with Olibanum. Santalum is much brighter than Olibanum and I keep it for my happy days. This scent is not for an introvert!

18th September, 2009

I admire the depth and darkness of this. I don’t really think of it as sandalwood, but the sandalwood is there along with the other deep notes – the myrrh is especially notable and quite dominates. There is no sweetness that I can determine, neither the myrrh nor the cinnamon being of the sweet varieties. I can agree with those who say “medicinal,” but I don’t find that aromatic aura that I find in most medicinal accords – I find a clean, dry ponderousness of fragrance that is quite impressive. Santalum is linear; it has acceptable sillage; and it has excellent longevity especially when its final half-life as a skin scent is taken into consideration. In testing it, don’t look for a complex, pretty sandalwood; rather, expect a dark, masculine, almost dull non-aggressive dryness – something that many people might not care for. As for me, I find it intriguing.

23rd May, 2008

mikeperez23's avatar

When I first applied this, I was more interested in the cinnamon (it had been recommended to me here on the boards), and I honestly wasn't really focused on the sandalwood when I applied it - but almost immediately I acquired a strong respect and fascination for a sandalwood scent that's so well done.

Santalum is very linear - so if you're looking for a complex sandalwood based scent, look elsewhere. But the Profumum line delivers such uncompromising and honest interpretations in their fragrances - and Santalum sparse notes (sandalwood, myrrh and cinnamon) combine and balance each other out wonderfully.

Santalum is everything that Tam Dao is not. It's dark, shadowy, dusty - I kept getting the visual image of a rusty car in a backyard. No smoke. The myrrh is not too incens-y (hope that makes sense...). The cinnamon isn't of the Cinnamon roll variety. The sandalwood note is deep, reassuring and dirty/spicy while simultaneously being calm/sweet.

The sillage and longevity are above average - and so is the price tag of the juice ($195).

I will be comfortable in the fact that, for now, sandalwood doesn't get any better than this.

25th October, 2007

robyogi's avatar

I really wanted to love this fragrance, but I just can't get there. To my nose, myrrh is the main player here, not sandalwood. Santalum smells like a fairly straightforward and simple blend. The topnotes offer a wonderful, eccentric and spicy rush, but soon afterward it settles into a medicinal blend, made just slightly sweeter by the cinnamon. I really wanted this to be woodsier and spicier.

Perhaps oddly, the scent that this most reminds me of is Luten's Vetyver Oriental. While in VO the myrrh is accented with vetiver, cocoa, and iris, here is is accented with cinnamon and sandalwood, though to my nose only a light touch of sandalwood. VO definitely seems more complex. Santalum is nice enough, but I had hoped for more from it. As it is, it just doesn't quite do it for me.

23rd December, 2006

Joe_Frances's avatar

This is a very nice pungent woody smelling sandalwood fragrance. It is simple and straight forward. The supporting notes remind me of linseed oil, or some other wood finsihing product. Everything in the mix supports the woodiness of this. I think of a fine table being polished and a great shine being produced. This is another wonderful sandalwood fragrance that may be great, but does not standout in my experience. It does not have very good longevity on me. It is not particularly distinctive. Like fine clothing, it is well made, and comes at a premium price, but doesn't shout "hey look at me!" Maybe I am affected by past experiences, but I prefer Trumper or Villoresi sandalwood fragrances that add distinctive supporting elements.

29th October, 2006 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2010)