Positive Reviews of Soir de Lune by Sisley

Find out more about Soir de Lune by Sisley in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Julessharp's avatar

A gift from my daughter ( who knows me so well)! Its lovely, wearable. Clean...... review from Darvant made me smile because I'm British and yes, it does evoke clean, and laundry, but for some of us there is something powerfully aphrodisiac about that!

13 March, 2013

n3tcat's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Whenever I go shopping for perfumes, I bring home the little pieces of paper on which the fragrances are sprayed. I use them as bookmarks. One day I came home with Soir de Lune, and my cats fell in love with it. I showed them the other scents I brought, but they behaved with this one as if catnip was its main note.

I bought it, of course. When your cats are so eager to tell you something, you better listen -- even if they prove to have such expensive tastes.

I love it, and I think it is a very elegant, sophisticate fragrance. Any celebrity walking the red carpet would be fine in it. However, as I live on a more modest scale, and in a tropical city to boot, I have the feeling, now and then, that we were not made for each other.

That's when I spray my 4711 on, step out into the sunshine and wonder what life in a cold climate would be like.

17 October, 2012

hollyc's avatar

Lordy this is phenomenal. Upon first sprtiz, it is HEAVILY Rosy and is almost indistinguishable from Narciso Rodriguez, Agent Provocateur and other rose based offerings. But give it 15 minutes and it transports you to perfume heaven. There is heavy sweet peach, spice, oakmoss in abundance and honey and nutmeg too. After a time, none of the individual notes stand out but instead form a WARM, luxurious, feminine fragrance that is both sexual and classical at the same time. Sillage is perfect in the category of never lost but never overpowering either and lasting power is tremendous. I have Eau de Soir as well and have tried a sample of the body lotion which I usually avoid as they are seldom true to the fragrance but in Eau de Soir I think the lotion may be even better. I am therefore dying to try this beauty in lotion as well. This is what perfume used to be and seldom is anymore. Hope they never change it. Do try if you are an admirer of mature, intoxicating chypres, you'll be glad you did!

24 September, 2012

lisa16's avatar

Luca Turin called this a "cheap, nasty knock off of Parfum de Peau" and gives it one star. While I have yet to get a sample of PdP, I can tell you there is nothing cheap or nasty about this (and at 240$ a bottle, you go in expecting good quality).

Maybe Luca Turin is a hack-- I will reserve my judgement until I get the (much cheaper) PdP-- but I was mystified and almost offended by his review. Maybe he just needs to revisit it. Or maybe he simply has a different aesthetic than I do (I love mandragore by Goutal, which he also panned.)

This is the first perfume I ever fell in love with and I love every facet of it as it evolves on my skin. It is a transformer that quickly morphs into a big complex rose tempered with honey and spice. And then it becomes an exquisite musky-moss still tinged, but with a different rose. It is complex and deep, with extraordinary sillage that lasts a blissful 6 hours or more on me.

There is not one disagreeable note in it, to my nose. It is harmonic euphoria in a bottle.

I do see, however, that there are some people who have a strong negative reaction to it, so I think it might be one of those perfumes like Angel, that you either understand immediately and love or that you hate. But it is far less radical than Angel. If you do not like rose, than this is not the one for you.

But it is the one for me and I am grateful I found it. It is, by the way, a true chypre with the oakmoss intact. It is mature, sophisticated and classic.

19 June, 2011

FrouFrou's avatar

My favorite perfume! And I wear it whenever I feel like it, day or night, wherever I go.

I told an sa I was looking for a dark chypre, and she nearly sprayed me with ''Eau de soir'' but I managed to dodge her.
    Only I didn't manage to dodge the ''Soir de Lune'' which she used to attack me with straight afterward. After my ''Eau de Soir'' experience a few months earlier I never wanted another Sisley sprayed one me. Lucky she did catch me!
    To my surprise, for the rest of the day I kept getting these whiffs which brought me a sense of bliss...
    I agree with earlier comments that it seems to go round and round in a circular motion. And as longevity is excellent it lasted until evening. It didn't leave me alone. I went back next day and begged for a sample, and then pestered family and friends to put their money together for my upcoming birthday and buy me a bottle!

Now my boyfriend loathes heavy scents, so I tried to wean him very carefully to this, he claims he discerns an oud-like smell in this. He thinks it's heavy but he does rather like it. Luckily, because we would have be having problems otherwise, I will not give up my Soir de Lune!
    I have to be careful as to what we are going to do, once I sprayed myself just before we left in the car and the monster sillage wàs too much for him. And I can't blame him.

I agree this fragrance must have top quality ingredients, it has monster staying power, monster sillage. It lasts for weeks when sprayed on fabric.
    Yummm.
    Three thumbs up!

23 February, 2011

GelbeDomino's avatar

Argentina Argentina

When I spritz this on, the air around me smells strongly of roses and nothing else.

On my skin, it is a whole different story: The first time I tried it, it felt as if someone had mixed Eau du Soir with Diorissimo and added some nutmeg to the mix. It just smelled too busy, as if it had too many notes clashing at once. It felt like a slap on the face.

After the top notes (mainly the lily of the valley and some citrus) evaporate, I get roses in full bloom (and what beautiful roses!), nutmeg and honey on a beautiful chypre base.
    There is an animalic quality to Soir de Lune, which renders it sexy in a womanly (as opposed to girlie) way.

I cannot fail to appreciate the good quality of its ingredients, its evolution and tenacity.
    I find it a very mature and elegant scent. Feminine and very sexy in an assertive way.

I cannot wear this every day but on the occasions I do, I feel very much of a femme fatale.

02 January, 2011

Sugandaraja's avatar

Soir de Lune is a heavy, warm, and dark take on the chypre genre, focused on rose and bolstered by civet. After a classical fruity-spicy opening, Soir quickly gets to the point, its core of rose, civet, moss, and geranium lasting for many hours and making it a close cousin of '80s power-chypres like Knowing, and more so, the now discontinued L'Arte di Gucci. Deep into the drydown it retains its animalic sheen but develops a certain faint soapiness - it may be musk, as some musks do that on my skin - that isn't unwelcome in the least.

The longevity and sillage are highly impressive; Soir lasts long and stays strong.

A fragrance out of its time, and all the more welcome for it. Get out your hairspray and shoulder-pads, this chypre means business.

26 January, 2010

soirdelune's avatar

My signature daytime scent ... narcissist, moi? A scent with a whole heap of glamour and gumption: audacious, elegant, complex -- not unlike its wearer! No, seriously, as a fair-skinned blonde, this is one of the few heavyweight scents I can truly pull off. It strikes just the right balance between the restrained sexiness of its rich rose and jasmine floral tones and the more sensual pepper, nutmeg and honey-musk notes beneath. Stupendously long lasting, reflected in its high price. I can also testify to its aphrodisiac powers: for ladies and lovers and lovers who love ladies!

06 August, 2008

mediterranean's avatar

Spain Spain

Spicy perfume with citrus and flowers,lovely for a romantic date or for spring time.Cheers me up.

03 April, 2008

ubuandibeme's avatar

I agree with PURPLEBIRD7's commentary, especially that the notes here travel a circular path. I also find it to be a 'dry floral'. Soir de Lune is a bold, womanly fragrance. The sillage is extreme, as well as it's longevity. I usually don't have limits as to the 'wearability' of a scent but I think SdL is far too luxurious for daytime wear - it is best reserved for a special event or evening fragrance. Stunning!

16 December, 2007

aromaman's avatar

Very classy. Very chic. Very French. Soir de Lune is a fragrance exuding the essence of French perfumery. There's nothing synthetic to this smell. Top marks. 10/10.

08 December, 2007

Champs Elysee's avatar

I went shopping to Harrods in London today, not meaning to stop at the Sisley counter, somehow I stopped there and tested this, I was lucky enough to get a smaple too. This will be my next purchase, a lovely feminine soft pretty smell, just right for the summer.

24 May, 2007

purplebird7's avatar

Soir de Lune is, in my opinion, one of the New Chypres, and one with good development and an interesting juxtapostition of seemingling contradictory notes. The opening is the attractive note of pimento, sharp and somewhat salty, but it is paired with rose, creating the Chypre effect of dried roses. Soon, a dusty, sweet powder--with hints of honey and peach--emerges, and this is my favorite part. It rests against a moss and citrus combination that returns the fragrance to its tangy, dry orientation. the development is neither linear nor dramatically changing. Rather, it is circular, causing the wearer to pick up notes over and over, sometimes the sweet ones poking out, then being overtaken by the dry ones or the tangy ones. This is a perfume that doesn't beg to be loved, instead it confidently calls the wearer to return.

02 April, 2007

SniffQ's avatar

Closely related to Eau de Soir, but more refined, elegant and smooth. While I didn't get any single spice, it has a powerful spice opening and immediately settles into: Rose. Well, more correctly, ROSE. I'm not a rose fan, so I was about to write it off, when the rose vanished and that interesting Eau de Soir drydown came out with an intriguing, rich, depth. None of the Eau de Soir sharpness. Lovely and powerful. Not for the shy.

02 November, 2006