Reviews of Encre Noire by Lalique

Find out more about Encre Noire by Lalique in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

clamnole's avatar

Finally I tried Encre Noire as I have heard so much comparison to it of other vetivers. My first impression is that EN is simply a very strong linear vetiver fragrance. Dirty is a good description, but not in a bad or offensive way. It departs from the traditional vetiver fragrances I am used to that are blended with lavender or citrus. This must be what pure vetiver smells like. I don't get any recognizable other scent, such as the cypress, musk or vetiver. This is just plain grassy and earthy. A vetiver for the cold weather. I like it, but living in hot and humid Florida I would stray more toward a sweeter interpretation, such as Guerlain or Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. Thumbs up none-the-less.

23rd March, 2015

Ready to Die's avatar

A monumental release. People are predisposed by the name and bottle and find this dark. It is not that dark but rather green and fresh. The cypress top note is fantastic followed by a strong vetiver heart and a musky dry down. Surely a synthetic composition (mainly ISO E Super) which stands among the best of the last years. It's bottle is also magnificent although this doesn't add to the scent and the prices so low that any vetiver lover must have a good reason for not having it. I've been wearing this all year around and have received compliments by both men and women. I would love to smell this on women too.

21st February, 2015

Joeyjoey70's avatar

Amazing scent. Just purchased and WOW! The best blend of vetiver I have ever owned. Spray, wait 5 minutes and enjoy. I have had it on for a few hours now and the scent I smell from my chest is a cross between the well blended vetivers and the woods of the scent (cypres and cashmere) which smell like a freshly cut christmas tree. You won't be disappointed if you are in the market for a great Vetiver scent. Enjoy!

11th February, 2015

montagne's avatar

I'm having difficulty with this. From the listed notes in the pyramid, it appears that the educated nose can not only discern predominant vetiver in this fragrance, but pinpoint its origin to two distinct sources: Haiti, and Reunion Island.

I'm baffled.

All I smell is a whacking great bucket load of Iso E Super, with a trace of Cashmeran.

09th February, 2015

Timothée Kal's avatar

Zambia Zambia

So I just got my much anticipated Encre Noire after a long wait due to postal issues and all I can say is am bewildered and dumbfounded by this unbelievable amazing juice. It all I want and need in a fragrance, its classic in a sophisticated cosmopolitan kind of composition... the vetiver in this juice is excellently blended to give off this smooth and rich aura that's just out of this world. These are only my first impression thoughts but I can easily see this cologne replacing my signature scent Terre d'Hermes because its smoother and the quality of its composition is exceptional.

10/10!!!!

31st January, 2015

ClassicFan's avatar

Very strong vetiver that almost reminds me of the smell of matches or wet cobblestones. I'm tired of vetiver and this one did me in. Wear this with a black turtleneck sweater in winter and it will be apropos.

23rd November, 2014

Mapletop's avatar

The opening is a cedar log by a fireplace, not ashy at all but warm. I can see where people say this smells like ink, but not so much for me. Soon drys down to notes I find synthetic and all too familiar. If you like Hermes you may like this.

04th November, 2014

Japs's avatar

Picture Romania, then walking through a very dark forest on your way to Dracula's Castle. Burning leaves and wood surround you, the night howling of werewolves get closer. This stuff is what the undead would wear, the vampire would be at home smelling like this. Dark, evil, burning with no end in sight. This is potent juice, best left for those who suck blood and want to smell like a overflowing ashtray.

13th October, 2014 (Last Edited: 14th October, 2014)

Marais's avatar

With fevered brow I dip my fountain pen in the desk-set black inkwell and begin to write: 'Dark clouds swirl ominously around Frankenstein's Castle...' Several chapters later it all turns a bit sour, with smoking firebrands etc, but getting there is such a thrill-ride. I especially liked that bit where the doctor screams 'it's alive!' as electricity crackles through the air, and that touching scene where the young girl ends up taking an impromptu dip in the local pond. A good scent when you're in the mood for a bit of light-hearted morbidity.

04th October, 2014

Shifty Bat's avatar

In my hobbyist study of scent vetiver has proved to be among the highest mountains to scale. It was hard to place, inextricable yet ephemeral. Finding that there exist vetivers of differing profiles did not surprise me but it did lend me some clarity. The type to which I am better inclined is implemented wonderfully in the older vintages of Carven's Vetiver- a rootsy, earthen smell with hints of salted licorice and ginseng. The other prominent type is the smoky vetiver, which to me evokes memories of ivy leaves, dried, smoked meats, and bonfires. This kind is less friendly but vastly more fascinating, and is the foundation for Encre Noire.
    Here are a few reasons I have grown to enjoy this scent despite my apprehension for the smoky vetiver: The sillage is gentler and more ephemeral than smelling it at skin level. This took me some time to realize. Most people I've come across like it enough to vocalize their appreciation. The blending is superb, using 'kissing cousin scents' to bolster the many facets of the star ingredients which never overshadow the main player. It employs a vanilla devoid of sweetness, a true rarity in today's market.
    I would not usually condone layering designer fragrances because it obscures the original intent and because the blended bases more often than not become a mess, but I have found that combining Encre Noire with Yardley's Citrus & Wood yields an incredible and utterly charming effect, like Terre d'Hermes lit aflame.

04th September, 2014

chitown23's avatar

While I have loved fragrance since I can remember, I'm new to this level of the scent game. Encre was a blind buy for me but at $29 for a 3.3oz/100ml bottle and with the fandom, mystery, and passion around this frag, I decided to roll the dice. I've only recently discovered vetiver and this turned out to be a huge love at first sniff for me. I agree that this is a vetiver lovers dream but balances the crispness with a deeper darker warmth. Def a cooler weather sexy nighttime scent, probably a but formal as well. The wood and the musk are expertly balanced with he Haitian and bourbon vet. I love it and can't seem to stop smelling my wrist...the ink well look of the bottle lends credibility to the inky smell in the notes, but it is a lovely blend. Smells like a niche indeed. I think this works best for a slightly more mature male, I'm 36 and the mystery and sophistication of the scent go well with a nice suit and confidence that comes with age. Enjoy!

21st August, 2014

sidewinder's avatar

Dirty, dark vetiver not as good as it's big brother from another mother, Grey Vetiver. Priced right. 4.5 out of 5

09th August, 2014 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2014)

PeteH's avatar

An outstandingly good fragrance. Serious vetiver-on-vetiver action; I'm talking MegaVetiver here; which has fantastic staying-power, moderate sillage, and garners lots of compliments.

Certainly this is one I would try prior to purchase, as other reviewers have recommended, unless you are already a fan of frags with a prominent vetiver note, in which case I'd suggest that you go straight for a 100mL bottle!

01st August, 2014

christiangrey12's avatar

Smell like a old burnt out building. I am not fond of this scent. This scent can not be worn in FL at all. Even the coldest day of winter here is not cold enough for this scent.

23rd July, 2014

dweb23's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Wow......Bought this as a blind buy based on reviews and the fact that I managed to get a 100ml bottle for £17 shipped. As a newbie I do not really feel qualified and quite knowledgeable enough to delve into the intricacies of this masterpiece, and to MY nose it is a masterpiece. All I will say is that I have found my signature scent. From start to finish this is simply incredible. The dark, smoky and green accords in my opinion are perfectly balanced and make this a lot more wearable and versatile than some reviews I have read may lead you to believe, yet remaining unique, interesting and quite calming I think. Again just my opinion! I have heard the words campfire, mossy, rooty, damp, earthy, inky opening being used to describe it and to me that's pretty much spot on. I imagine walking through a forest on a crisp, damp morning. Some kids camping out last night lit a bonfire the night before, which got put out gradually by last nights rain. You get a whiff of the extinguished campfire as you walk past. I do not get synthetic or harsh chemical from this at all, although I could see why someone would dislike this. Oh yea.... and the presentation is just as good as the juice!!

02nd July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

A superb vetiver. Period.

In my experience, vetiver scents tend to fall into two broad categories: the crisp, suave variety, as in Guerlain Vetiver, and the pungent, uncompromising sort, as epitomized by Route de Vétiver. Encre Noire to some extent straddles the two groups. It is a bold, hard-hitting vetiver, but not in the earthy manner of Route du Vétiver or the sharp, dry style of Malle’s Vétiver Extraordinaire. Potent, dark, and yet transparent, Encre Noire is aptly named. It smells “moist” and rooty, but not dirty. Its vetiver is nutty, smoky, and pleasantly bitter, and it is balanced by the merest touch of sweet licorice or anise. In character it is perhaps closest to Givenchy’s reissued Vetyver, but Encre Noire is a bigger fragrance and distinctly less "polite."

Once it establishes its central vetiver accord, Encre Noire holds to a linear course, and with a heart that’s so well crafted I don’t object. While it is by no means a weak scent, Encre Noire does wear fairly close to the skin, and its sillage is not going to fill a room. The vetiver becomes woodier in the drydown, and is eventually joined by some warm musk and maybe a touch of labdanum before it drifts off altogether. On acquaintance I find Encre Noire to be a distinctive and successful take on vetiver that’s easily qualified to stand next to my favorites, which include Route du Vétiver, Givenchy Vetyver, and The Different Company’s Sel de Vétiver. If you’re fond of vetiver based fragrances, I think you owe it to yourself to give Encre Noire a try.

13th June, 2014

D_Dar's avatar

As the name suggests Encre Noire sure as hell smells like ink when you first put it on, to some this may be a shock because the smell of raw ink isn't exactly what one expects out of a fragrance.

This quickly fades in the first few minutes and the layers of the composition divide and begin to smell like wet earth and burning wood in a hammam. The cypress doesn't get as much attention as the vetivers. It's smooth as silk.

Encre Noire certainly doesn't come across as a generic man EdT to say the least.

Apparently this contains both Haitian and Bourbon vetiver. The vetiver notes are excellent. And oh man are they something special.

This isn't an aquatic, woodsy, chypre, fougere or a gourmand.. This is a perfumers ode to Vetiver... Imagine Darkness bottled.

A word of warning: DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS... this needs a decent understanding of fragrances and notes to understand or at least an open minded approach to fragrances.. So if you're looking for a usual Acqua Di Gio kinda deal (people pleasers) dont even bother with this; you will be disappointed.

As for me; I LOVE this thing and recommend it to anyone who would want to get out of the old adages of perfumery and smell something that is totally out of the box...

26th May, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Love in first sight does not happen always...sometimes it takes a lot of time to understand the characteristics and attributes. so is the case with Encre Noire with me...when ever I sniffed it , it reminds me of two very Beloved scents which have been discontinued unfortunately ,Gucci Pour Homme and Lui Rochas...IMO, EN has a similar vibe of that muddy , wet, Vetiver which we call 'KHUSS' , a very nice take on Vetiver with lovely musk , I m in love with this these days , especially for my all time favourite notes of woods, musk and smoke.

I can have a little of all my favourite fragrances in this single fragrance...GPH, LUI, Grey Vetiver and Terre d Hermes.

I initially regretted the blind buy but I now regret that regret. Love Encre Noire.

20th May, 2014

IndianapolisVet's avatar

Encre Noir smells absolutely wonderful... in the bottle. About once every six months, I dust off this little black brick from my wardrobe, inhale a huge gorgeous whiff off the cap, spritz myself once a day for a few days, and try to fall in love with it. And I fail every time. Too synthetic? Too much vetiver? Too much like good smelling perfume, too little like good smelling man.

13th May, 2014

Sniffington's avatar

Encre Noire opens up woody and somewhat 'fresh'. Not uplifting, not bright, "darkly-fresh" if you will. Then slowly creeps the earthy, sour vetiver which becomes the main player. It becomes a smoky, elegant green scent that reminds me of rain soaking tree stumps, with roots coming out of the soil. And the dry down... The vetiver becomes smoother, colliding with musk and a hint of cashmere. Very nice. And actually, not as dark as I've been lead to believe.

I do see why some people are put-off by EN. It can be a bit harsh at times, and had actually gave me a minor migraine, but it's still not as harsh as some people said. Just don't dose yourself too much with this. Also, not good with high temperature. Definitely a night / colder scent. Longevity & projection are good.

Definitely try this out before buying a FB.

28th April, 2014

OneTimeOnePlace's avatar

France France

One of the worst scents I've ever smelled. I simply cannot understand the hype around this perfume. First of all it smells really, really synthetic, it evokes me the scent of something you would spray to kill little insects like bugs, mixed with what smells like splashed ink from a fountain pen. Why would I want to smell like that?

It basically have no top notes, no middle notes, nothing, just a raw, chemical and linear abomination that lasts and lasts and simply won't go even after you wash it off several times. It's incredibly potent. Worst blind buy ever, sorry for the people who love this, no disrespect, but i find no beauty in this whatsoever. It may be original, but it simply doesn’t smell good and is incredibly unpleasant to wear.

Edit: i like it somewhat better, i tried it again today and it was kind of different. The scent has actually CHANGED from the last time. Yet it's the same bottle! No i'm not crazy. My guess is the difference of temperature made this smell change! The last time i tried it it was in winter, weather was cold and wet. It's now very warm where i live, and i swear the fragrance smells different, incredible! i knew perfumes could smell different according to the weather, but it just goes to a whole new level with this one! I couldn't bear it a few months ago when it was still cold outside, and today, warm weather, wow! the fragrance evolves into something new and quite pleasant, almost fresh and crisp while retaining the dark vetiver note, but not in that awfully inky way i had experienced previously. Very interesting. Still not something i would wear, but i'm amazed at how this fragrance changes according to weather.

21st April, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2014)

teh_sqwirl's avatar

I registered with a Basenotes account just so I could answer all of the recent negative reviews of this scent that I've seen--review that are contrary to my opinion. In the last eight months or so that I've worn this scent--I'm about to switch back to my spring/summer scent of Guerlain's Vetiver--I've never in my life received so many unsolicited compliments on my smell. I quite truthfully have clerks at stores and coworkers at remote offices I rarely see specifically mentioning the alluring and hypnotic quality of the aroma of this cologne they detect on me; often many hours after I apply just a couple sprays. To those of you who have left reviews that, to me, seem bizarrely skewed towards finding this aroma to be odious, I have to recommend the following. Please, do seek the treatment and advice of an otolaryngologist. Without any desire to express disrespect, but out of human concern, your olfactory senses are either damaged or congenitally malformed. Treatment is available and there is hope for you.

29th March, 2014

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

Holy moly. Ink and plastic. I have a childhood memory of getting the guts of a leaky Bic all over my hands. Add a little musk, freshly cut white wood, a whiff of smoke and we're there. I like it because I want to. Or is it the utterly cool inkwell it comes in? Anyway, I'm keeping it.

27th March, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

There is a slight connection with Gucci PH I and Chopard Noble Vetiver, however it's a style matter, not a scent per se. Encre Noire has a character of its own and quite a noble scent this is, warm in its coldness and cold in warmness. Vetiver is dominant in it, refined and rich, also quite cold and distant, like an echo of the spirit of time. Linear like Terre d'Hermes but in its own league. Encre Noire won't be liked by the masses because it's too sophisticated and it takes experience and certain love for this hobby so that one may recognize the potential and the story this fragrance tells, albeit the fact that the person doesn't actually like it. Dark, cold, mystical and yet pleasing, accommodating and warm. An excellent creation indeed.

18th March, 2014

Theo's avatar

Encre Noire is a perfect example of why I don't blind buy anymore based off of favorable reviews for a fragrance, although I was very tempted to based of it's low price point. With a recent Fragrancenet order I saw they had sample spray vials of this, so I added one to a recent order.

First off, the opening is horrible. It literally does smell like ant spray (the pungent ink note). It was scrubber for me but I could still smell it after I washed it off and it didn't smell AS horrible, so I sprayed some on paper and allowed it to mellow a bit. I also retested on my skin again. I can see the appeal of this for others, but it smells extremely synthetic, is very linear after the drydown, and all of descriptions of it being a 'dark', 'smokey', and 'brooding' fragrance are complete and utter hyperbole. It's doesn't smell earthy, or dark. I definitely get a bit of green from it throughout it's life, albeit synthetic green.

I own Grey Vetiver and love that fragrance. Vetiver is a tricky one for me because it does smell different based on the other notes used with it. EN is a total miss for me. Don't believe the hype, this is one of the cheapest, most synthetic fragrances I've smelled, and I'm shocked to hear people call this niche-like, worth $100, art, etc. It simply falls flat for me and is totally uninspired.

27th February, 2014

Tony T's avatar

The opening is flawless. A bit of vetiver and bourbon for the first half hour.. Then I get a ton of musk.. The vetiver does not mix with the musk and the bourbon is gone.
    Great opening with a terrible drydown.. I will retest it before the spring hits but I doubt I will change my mind..

12th February, 2014

Rodolfo's avatar

Spain Spain

There is a strange, disgusting vibe in whole fragrance development, like an electric current running through a wire all over the scent. This feeling, extremely synthetic to me, ruins the woody dark green musky smell which is nice. So try it before buy if you don't like super iso e super loaded scents.

05th February, 2014

ZAAR's avatar

I was drawn to the purchase by the exotic reviews. Well, let me tell you..just my opinion but this stuff seriously smells like a old damp basement replete with spiders webs and leaky plumbing..ah, no thanks..you can keep that cute dark bottle..

03rd February, 2014

randydjack's avatar

Simply lovely.

Encre Noire is an old librarian who, in between sips on a dram of single malt, describes the forests that The Brothers Grimm traversed so vividly you begin to smell them. It has an ancient and mysterious nature to it, and one that is stunning. It dries down into a mix of the cypress and cashmere quite nicely, as the librarian either passes out drunk (the boozey accord of EN doesn't feel so much dominant as simply present, like the uncle who gets hammered at your family get together...if he was dressed like a proper chap and spoke the kings with perfection) or goes to do whatever book sorting it is that is left for the day.

Longevity and sillage both do well in my book (which consequently smells a bit like EN right now.)

20th January, 2014

RobbieX's avatar

A unique fragrance. Starts smoky like an Islay whisky. The drydown is a smooth vetiver with woods and a soft floral background. Seems to have been expertly blended. It's subtle but not weak and it persists nicely. A sophisticated men's fragrance.

09th December, 2013