Reviews of Encre Noire by Lalique

Find out more about Encre Noire by Lalique in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

teh_sqwirl's avatar
    teh_sqwirl

I registered with a Basenotes account just so I could answer all of the recent negative reviews of this scent that I've seen--review that are contrary to my opinion. In the last eight months or so that I've worn this scent--I'm about to switch back to my spring/summer scent of Guerlain's Vetiver--I've never in my life received so many unsolicited compliments on my smell. I quite truthfully have clerks at stores and coworkers at remote offices I rarely see specifically mentioning the alluring and hypnotic quality of the aroma of this cologne they detect on me; often many hours after I apply just a couple sprays. To those of you who have left reviews that, to me, seem bizarrely skewed towards finding this aroma to be odious, I have to recommend the following. Please, do seek the treatment and advice of an otolaryngologist. Without any desire to express disrespect, but out of human concern, your olfactory senses are either damaged or congenitally malformed. Treatment is available and there is hope for you.

29 March, 2014

Johannes's avatar
    Johannes
    Norway Norway

Holy moly. Ink and plastic. I have a childhood memory of getting the guts of a leaky Bic all over my hands. Add a little musk, freshly cut white wood, a whiff of smoke and we're there. I like it because I want to. Or is it the utterly cool inkwell it comes in? Anyway, I'm keeping it.

27 March, 2014

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

There is a slight connection with Gucci PH I and Chopard Noble Vetiver, however it's a style matter, not a scent per se. Encre Noire has a character of its own and quite a noble scent this is, warm in its coldness and cold in warmness. Vetiver is dominant in it, refined and rich, also quite cold and distant, like an echo of the spirit of time. Linear like Terre d'Hermes but in its own league. Encre Noire won't be liked by the masses because it's too sophisticated and it takes experience and certain love for this hobby so that one may recognize the potential and the story this fragrance tells, albeit the fact that the person doesn't actually like it. Dark, cold, mystical and yet pleasing, accommodating and warm. An excellent creation indeed.

18 March, 2014

Theo's avatar
    Theo

Encre Noire is a perfect example of why I don't blind buy anymore based off of favorable reviews for a fragrance, although I was very tempted to based of it's low price point. With a recent Fragrancenet order I saw they had sample spray vials of this, so I added one to a recent order.

First off, the opening is horrible. It literally does smell like ant spray (the pungent ink note). It was scrubber for me but I could still smell it after I washed it off and it didn't smell AS horrible, so I sprayed some on paper and allowed it to mellow a bit. I also retested on my skin again. I can see the appeal of this for others, but it smells extremely synthetic, is very linear after the drydown, and all of descriptions of it being a 'dark', 'smokey', and 'brooding' fragrance are complete and utter hyperbole. It's doesn't smell earthy, or dark. I definitely get a bit of green from it throughout it's life, albeit synthetic green.

I own Grey Vetiver and love that fragrance. Vetiver is a tricky one for me because it does smell different based on the other notes used with it. EN is a total miss for me. Don't believe the hype, this is one of the cheapest, most synthetic fragrances I've smelled, and I'm shocked to hear people call this niche-like, worth $100, art, etc. It simply falls flat for me and is totally uninspired.

27 February, 2014

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

The opening is flawless. A bit of vetiver and bourbon for the first half hour.. Then I get a ton of musk.. The vetiver does not mix with the musk and the bourbon is gone.
    Great opening with a terrible drydown.. I will retest it before the spring hits but I doubt I will change my mind..

12 February, 2014

Rodolfo's avatar
    Rodolfo
    Spain Spain

There is a strange, disgusting vibe in whole fragrance development, like an electric current running through a wire all over the scent. This feeling, extremely synthetic to me, ruins the woody dark green musky smell which is nice. So try it before buy if you don't like super iso e super loaded scents.

05 February, 2014

ZAAR's avatar
    ZAAR

I was drawn to the purchase by the exotic reviews. Well, let me tell you..just my opinion but this stuff seriously smells like a old damp basement replete with spiders webs and leaky plumbing..ah, no thanks..you can keep that cute dark bottle..

03 February, 2014

randydjack's avatar
    randydjack

Simply lovely.

Encre Noire is an old librarian who, in between sips on a dram of single malt, describes the forests that The Brothers Grimm traversed so vividly you begin to smell them. It has an ancient and mysterious nature to it, and one that is stunning. It dries down into a mix of the cypress and cashmere quite nicely, as the librarian either passes out drunk (the boozey accord of EN doesn't feel so much dominant as simply present, like the uncle who gets hammered at your family get together...if he was dressed like a proper chap and spoke the kings with perfection) or goes to do whatever book sorting it is that is left for the day.

Longevity and sillage both do well in my book (which consequently smells a bit like EN right now.)

20th January, 2014

RobbieX's avatar
    RobbieX

A unique fragrance. Starts smoky like an Islay whisky. The drydown is a smooth vetiver with woods and a soft floral background. Seems to have been expertly blended. It's subtle but not weak and it persists nicely. A sophisticated men's fragrance.

09 December, 2013

MFfan310's avatar
    MFfan310

Probably the best blind buy that I ever made, period. This is an amazing smoky vetiver. It smells rich and woodsy, yet it has the versatility to be used any day of the year. A perfumery gem.

At the full retail price of $95 USD/bottle, it's worth it. At the discounter price of $35/bottle, it's a true steal. Either way, worth every penny.

14 November, 2013

lairdangus's avatar
    lairdangus

A bubbling witches brew of dark vetiver

I didn't want to love Encre Noire.

When I first sampled it in the middle of the summer, I found it too heavy, too sour, and too dark. But I couldn't forget about, either...

So I tried again recently, hoping that it might work as a fall-winter fragrance. Wow. Does it ever.

Along with Sycomore and Timbuktu, Encre Noire is one of the top 3 vetiver-dominant fragrances on the market today. I love all three of them--Sycomore for it's champagne effervescence, Timbuktu for its otherworldly exoticism, and Encre Noire for its dark simplicity. It doesn't hurt that a 3.4 oz bottle of Encre Noire can be found online for under $30!

It lasts all day and projects as well as any fragrance in my wardrobe.

Highly recommended for vetiver lovers.

Pros: One of the top 3 vetiver-dominant fragrances on the market
    Cons: none"

22 October, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Encre Noire Review by RichNTacoma

One moment, I think dank mushroom forest. The next, soapy soap. I admit that I struggle with vetivers in general, and only have enjoyed a couple. I am not sure that this is one that I enjoy. The musk and vetiver combo takes it into the animalistic at the start, and it does dry down to something more clean. My guess is that at some point I will come back and give this a better rating; that day is not today.

_________

Four hours in, and we are looking at pure soapiness. 10 hours, still a fairly present on my skin; major longevity.

23 September, 2013

VincentVega's avatar
    VincentVega

Strange Brew

This was a blind buy based on some positive reviews...sigh. Huge projection and longevity on me... so much so I had to wash it off because it was giving me a headache. Horrible scent. Heavy, cloying, burned cedar wood...not for me. Brought it back from whence it came.

Some reviewers are describing this as sexy or a masterpiece. Really? If someone wore this at a dinner party I'd have to leave.

Regardless of whether you want to smell like a campfire or not, a "masterpiece" scent is one you can actually wear. I honestly do not know when or where you'd wear this...unless when cooking hot dogs on a stick.

Warning...Do not blind-buy this scent.

Pros: Projection...for those who love a six foot vapor trail
    Cons: Heavy, cloying, burned cedar wood"

12 September, 2013

MrMookie's avatar
    MrMookie

Pencil & ink

Masterpiece no doubt.

Imagine this :

Take some liquorice wood (sweetwood) some dry vetiver, dry cashmere wood and cypress al dried to bone, poor raw alcohol on it and set it on fire till it burns and when its burns real good poor a big bucket of ink on it to put the fire out... now smell the smothering dense smoke coming from this substance. thats lalique encre noir!
    Its sophisticated vetiver with a great sillage.
    Im a true fan!

Pros: Natural and sophisticated woods
    Cons:

28 August, 2013

Quartz's avatar
    Quartz

A Great Scent

I'm not a fan of vetiver but this one is really different. The vetiver is certainly there but it's augmented by a very pronounced smoky note which makes this quite different. For me, its longevity is terrific- a good 12+ hours. Not at all like most of the department store designer fragrances and a fantastic buy for about $35/100ml.

You'll definitely want to sample this one first because not everyone will find this to their liking.

01st August, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Dark vetiver

Vetiver and wood - that is what it is on my skin in a nutshell. Deep, dark, and with synthetic undertones. An unusual scent, with decent silage, projection, and four hours of longevity.

17 June, 2013

RUDOLFO512's avatar
    RUDOLFO512

Encre Noir, Magnificent!!

I blind bought Encre Noir. I have two other Lalique fragrances and I love them. Encre Noir did not dissapoint me at all. As a matter of fact, it has become one of my all time favorite scents. I love the smell of vetiver and this one has lots of it. It is sophisticated, mysterious and elegant. I have worn it to the office and I have gotten many compliments. It is also great for night time wear.

Pros: Vetiver, which I love.
    Cons: None</p>

05 June, 2013 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2014)

NoiBoi's avatar
    NoiBoi

Interesting

I recently blind bought various colognes, as I am on a frenzy. Encre Noire was one of those, and I can say it is the most interesting scent i've smelt thus far. My nose is not that advanced yet, but my first thought when smelling this, is ink on paper. The ink note is exceptionally sharp, to my nose. Definitely the darkest scent i've experienced, and as people have said, "classy".

I don't know if I would wear this casually, but on a special occasion this would be golden. This is quality stuff for the price, and you can tell by the density. It doesn't invade, but it lingers and makes it's presence known. 4/5 for me.

20th May, 2013

rynegne's avatar
    rynegne

Inky Vetiver Goodness - Best Bang for your Buck!

Encre Noire was one of my first blind buys. At only $35 for a 3.3oz bottle, it wasn't much of a risk. Turns out, this is one would become one of my favorites. This one comes off as smoky and dark...but it's not a burnt kind of smokiness. The combination of woods and vetiver a nice ink note on top. Although a bit sharp, Encre Noire smooths out over the course of the wear into a light wood that's dry and warm. This won't be for everyone, but lovers of woody and/or vetiver fragrances need to at least check this one out.

Pros: Price Point and Quality
    Cons: Some will say it's synthetic - most fragrances are though...

16 May, 2013

taint it sweet's avatar
    taint it sweet

As other have stated, this is a "dark" scent. I really enjoy this vetiver. It gets compared to Sycomore a lot, and I can see why...they are similar in a lot of ways to my nose. I don't know which one I enjoy more. Encre Noire is a great casual scent on a cool evening, while Sycomore works really well in more formal settings for me. The first time I tried Encre Noire, I didn't like it at all. It has grown on me over the years, and I love it now. I'd recommend not blind buying this one, but at such a low price, it's hard to pass up. This definitely smells different than your normal designer scents.

30th April, 2013

Sly2scents's avatar
    Sly2scents

I blind bought this off a review I had seen on youtube. The earthy, woodsy, spice just sets me straight every time. When I was younger there was this show called SWAMP THING with this green monster dude. Anyway, this is what I would imagine what he would smell like.

13 April, 2013

Dane77's avatar
    Dane77
    Denmark Denmark

An excellent smoky-woody vetiver with earthy elements and a well-balanced bitterness. Encre Noire is dark and damp, even musty, but at the same time its musky base manages to keep it somewhat polished and not overly dirty. All in all extremely pleasant and convincing, although lacking the elaborate sophistication of Sycomore and the radical depth of Route du Vétiver or Villoresi's Vetiver.
    Encre Noire is a classy confident choice and one of the most rewarding vetivers in its price range. Highly recommended!

14 February, 2013

cieslikau's avatar
    cieslikau

Leave in Japan, Women love it, I love it! Tried other Vetivers and this one is my number one! Dark, mysterious, spicy! Unique! The funny part is, first time when smell it can remember felt like had burned tyre around me, now so addicted to it:-) just do not overspray it! Great longevity on my skin:-) best Vetiver of all!

23 January, 2013

WildandYoung's avatar
    WildandYoung

Encre Noire has quickly become of my favorite scents in my wardrobe. I'm pleased to make this my first official review.

To start off, the bottle is simply beautiful. But that of course only carries it so far, the juice must back it up, and this it does. When first applied, you get a very very strong dose of vetiver. You immediately know what this scent is all about, despite the changes it goes through. It remains with that strong vetiver blast for the first hour or so, but the character stays true throughout the life of the cologne. In addition to the vetiver, I get a very very woody, smoky feel. The smoke is so intense, it could almost be mistaken as powdery to an untrained nose. This gives me a vibe of burning leaves...almost like the leaves you just picked up off the ground on a wet fall day, then attempted to burn alongside a campfire. This makes for a very intense, yet pleasing smell. Many people consider the opening of the fragrance to be a bit much, but I personally feel it is gorgeous. Crisp, sharp, yet refined and smooth.

As Encre Noire continues to try down, it remains rather linear. Not in a bad way, but it doesn't change that much. The smokiness stays pronounced, you notice the woods, but it's get lighter and more musky. Very light musk though, and well done.

This scent lasts me consistently around 8 hours, and projects moderately well the entire course of it's life. Yes, you can overspray this one. Start light, and build up as you feel comfortable. I disagree with the occasions and overall age grouping this one has been given as well. At 15 years old, I feel comfortable enough wearing this even to school. Two sprays draws a surprising amount of compliments. This could be worn at a black tie event, but I do think it can be pulled off in a much more casual setting as well.

This one is a work of art. Overall, I'll give it a perfect score, 10/10. Not signature scent style, but too good to pass up. Plus, I found the 3.3oz for only $32 American. At that price, don't pass it up. I'd feel good paying at least twice as much.

15 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar
    Mandrake
    Venezuela Venezuela

When you spray this black ink on your skin, your mind goes back to a walk through a rain forest full of wet vegetation, roots sprouting from the ground and a small fire drenching everything with their smoke. That is what is perceived to Encre Noire in the first 2 hours, and then lead to a fragrance with a minimum point incensada aniseed, a little more light, flexible, elegant and even could say sensual. A "must try" for all lovers of perfumes.

10th January, 2013

pdschrader's avatar
    pdschrader

Encre Noire can easily be overpowering if over applied. But with a light application it can actually be quite elegant, while still retaining its dark and mysterious notes. It is very different from anything else I use, which is why it is perhaps one of my all time favorites.

03 January, 2013

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Hands down the best vetiver I have ever tried. The beauty is in the linear nature, all the other notes propping up vetiver. It's best not to overspray, which varies depending on season and humidity. Don't judge by first sniff, the drydown is to die for.

26 December, 2012

bugsy's avatar
    bugsy

A few years ago I received a gift, Chanel Allure Blanche edition. It was the best scent I have ever smelled, I would get the woody accords predominantly. Those beautiful woody accords are very similar to the notes in Encre Noire. Unfortunately after about a week of wearing Allure Blanche, all I could smell was the nauseating lemon scent. It literally gave me a headache. If only Chanel were to release Blanche without the citrus notes…Chanel didn’t, but Lalique did. That’s what I get out of Encre Noire, at least.

It is such a pleasant smell, not overpowering at all. Do not be fooled by those claiming that this is a mature fragrance…I could see someone in their late teens wearing this. College students should have no problem wearing this. I don’t really see an age cap on this one either; it is very diverse.

I have read that some people compared this one to Platinum Egoiste, and I can honestly say that the dry down of PE has a similar thing going on, woody yet fresh. Think of Encre Noire as a more masculine version of Platinum Egoiste and Allure Blanche.

I don’t want to speak too soon, but I may have found my new signature. Definitely give this one a try.

20th December, 2012

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Different, very different. This is not your average run of the mill frag folks. Dark woody and mysterious. Seems like a nice touch of Incense is implemented to make this a nice frag. Make sure you test on your skin before determining if you like it or not. Smells slightly different on paper.

On my skin this is a winner. Like I always say "Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself".

16 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2013)

FragranceFan255's avatar
    FragranceFan255

Definitely 'inky' when you first put it on, even somewhat unpleasant. This quickly fades in the first few minutes and the layers of the composition divide and begin to sing softly but with conviction of wet earth and svelte woods. The cypress doesn't get as much attention as the exquisite vetivers within and its a rather nice expression of evergreen. The scent isn't rough at all. It's smooth as silk.

Throughout there's a pervasive accord that I can only imagine as being a bit like lipstick or candle wax in nature. Some might like that, some might not. Encre Noire certainly doesn't come across as a proper cologne to say the least. I wouldn't say it is really formal. Rather, its just sorta weird worn as cologne.

Apparently this contains both Haitian and Bourbon vetiver. The vetiver notes are excellent. Oh man are they something special. I have sniffed a few niche takes on vetiver themed fragrances and not one beat this. I find vetiver very calming and comforting and I like to use this to relax around the house.

The longevity is very good and all the warnings about it being to loud are unwarranted. You could easily get away with a few sprays on a cool day.

It's hard to suggest this as a blind buy due to its enigmatic nature as a cologne. If you aren't a fan of vetiver you might be unimpressed. But I love this stuff. Thumbs up!

03 December, 2012