Positive Reviews of Encre Noire by Lalique

Find out more about Encre Noire by Lalique in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Shifty Bat's avatar

In my hobbyist study of scent vetiver has proved to be among the highest mountains to scale. It was hard to place, inextricable yet ephemeral. Finding that there exist vetivers of differing profiles did not surprise me but it did lend me some clarity. The type to which I am better inclined is implemented wonderfully in the older vintages of Carven's Vetiver- a rootsy, earthen smell with hints of salted licorice and ginseng. The other prominent type is the smoky vetiver, which to me evokes memories of ivy leaves, dried, smoked meats, and bonfires. This kind is less friendly but vastly more fascinating, and is the foundation for Encre Noire.
    Here are a few reasons I have grown to enjoy this scent despite my apprehension for the smoky vetiver: The sillage is gentler and more ephemeral than smelling it at skin level. This took me some time to realize. Most people I've come across like it enough to vocalize their appreciation. The blending is superb, using 'kissing cousin scents' to bolster the many facets of the star ingredients which never overshadow the main player. It employs a vanilla devoid of sweetness, a true rarity in today's market.
    I would not usually condone layering designer fragrances because it obscures the original intent and because the blended bases more often than not become a mess, but I have found that combining Encre Noire with Yardley's Citrus & Wood yields an incredible and utterly charming effect, like Terre d'Hermes lit aflame.

04 September, 2014

chitown23's avatar

While I have loved fragrance since I can remember, I'm new to this level of the scent game. Encre was a blind buy for me but at $29 for a 3.3oz/100ml bottle and with the fandom, mystery, and passion around this frag, I decided to roll the dice. I've only recently discovered vetiver and this turned out to be a huge love at first sniff for me. I agree that this is a vetiver lovers dream but balances the crispness with a deeper darker warmth. Def a cooler weather sexy nighttime scent, probably a but formal as well. The wood and the musk are expertly balanced with he Haitian and bourbon vet. I love it and can't seem to stop smelling my wrist...the ink well look of the bottle lends credibility to the inky smell in the notes, but it is a lovely blend. Smells like a niche indeed. I think this works best for a slightly more mature male, I'm 36 and the mystery and sophistication of the scent go well with a nice suit and confidence that comes with age. Enjoy!

21st August, 2014

PeteH's avatar

An outstandingly good fragrance. Serious vetiver-on-vetiver action; I'm talking MegaVetiver here; which has fantastic staying-power, moderate sillage, and garners lots of compliments.

Certainly this is one I would try prior to purchase, as other reviewers have recommended, unless you are already a fan of frags with a prominent vetiver note, in which case I'd suggest that you go straight for a 100mL bottle!

01st August, 2014

dweb23's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Wow......Bought this as a blind buy based on reviews and the fact that I managed to get a 100ml bottle for £17 shipped. As a newbie I do not really feel qualified and quite knowledgeable enough to delve into the intricacies of this masterpiece, and to MY nose it is a masterpiece. All I will say is that I have found my signature scent. From start to finish this is simply incredible. The dark, smoky and green accords in my opinion are perfectly balanced and make this a lot more wearable and versatile than some reviews I have read may lead you to believe, yet remaining unique, interesting and quite calming I think. Again just my opinion! I have heard the words campfire, mossy, rooty, damp, earthy, inky opening being used to describe it and to me that's pretty much spot on. I imagine walking through a forest on a crisp, damp morning. Some kids camping out last night lit a bonfire the night before, which got put out gradually by last nights rain. You get a whiff of the extinguished campfire as you walk past. I do not get synthetic or harsh chemical from this at all, although I could see why someone would dislike this. Oh yea.... and the presentation is just as good as the juice!!

02 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

A superb vetiver. Period.

In my experience, vetiver scents tend to fall into two broad categories: the crisp, suave variety, as in Guerlain Vetiver, and the pungent, uncompromising sort, as epitomized by Route de Vétiver. Encre Noire to some extent straddles the two groups. It is a bold, hard-hitting vetiver, but not in the earthy manner of Route du Vétiver or the sharp, dry style of Malle’s Vétiver Extraordinaire. Potent, dark, and yet transparent, Encre Noire is aptly named. It smells “moist” and rooty, but not dirty. Its vetiver is nutty, smoky, and pleasantly bitter, and it is balanced by the merest touch of sweet licorice or anise. In character it is perhaps closest to Givenchy’s reissued Vetyver, but Encre Noire is a bigger fragrance and distinctly less "polite."

Once it establishes its central vetiver accord, Encre Noire holds to a linear course, and with a heart that’s so well crafted I don’t object. While it is by no means a weak scent, Encre Noire does wear fairly close to the skin, and its sillage is not going to fill a room. The vetiver becomes woodier in the drydown, and is eventually joined by some warm musk and maybe a touch of labdanum before it drifts off altogether. On acquaintance I find Encre Noire to be a distinctive and successful take on vetiver that’s easily qualified to stand next to my favorites, which include Route du Vétiver, Givenchy Vetyver, and The Different Company’s Sel de Vétiver. If you’re fond of vetiver based fragrances, I think you owe it to yourself to give Encre Noire a try.

13 June, 2014

D_Dar's avatar

As the name suggests Encre Noire sure as hell smells like ink when you first put it on, to some this may be a shock because the smell of raw ink isn't exactly what one expects out of a fragrance.

This quickly fades in the first few minutes and the layers of the composition divide and begin to smell like wet earth and burning wood in a hammam. The cypress doesn't get as much attention as the vetivers. It's smooth as silk.

Encre Noire certainly doesn't come across as a generic man EdT to say the least.

Apparently this contains both Haitian and Bourbon vetiver. The vetiver notes are excellent. And oh man are they something special.

This isn't an aquatic, woodsy, chypre, fougere or a gourmand.. This is a perfumers ode to Vetiver... Imagine Darkness bottled.

A word of warning: DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS... this needs a decent understanding of fragrances and notes to understand or at least an open minded approach to fragrances.. So if you're looking for a usual Acqua Di Gio kinda deal (people pleasers) dont even bother with this; you will be disappointed.

As for me; I LOVE this thing and recommend it to anyone who would want to get out of the old adages of perfumery and smell something that is totally out of the box...

26 May, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Love in first sight does not happen always...sometimes it takes a lot of time to understand the characteristics and attributes. so is the case with Encre Noire with me...when ever I sniffed it , it reminds me of two very Beloved scents which have been discontinued unfortunately ,Gucci Pour Homme and Lui Rochas...IMO, EN has a similar vibe of that muddy , wet, Vetiver which we call 'KHUSS' , a very nice take on Vetiver with lovely musk , I m in love with this these days , especially for my all time favourite notes of woods, musk and smoke.

I can have a little of all my favourite fragrances in this single fragrance...GPH, LUI, Grey Vetiver and Terre d Hermes.

I initially regretted the blind buy but I now regret that regret. Love Encre Noire.

20th May, 2014

Sniffington's avatar

Encre Noire opens up woody and somewhat 'fresh'. Not uplifting, not bright, "darkly-fresh" if you will. Then slowly creeps the earthy, sour vetiver which becomes the main player. It becomes a smoky, elegant green scent that reminds me of rain soaking tree stumps, with roots coming out of the soil. And the dry down... The vetiver becomes smoother, colliding with musk and a hint of cashmere. Very nice. And actually, not as dark as I've been lead to believe.

I do see why some people are put-off by EN. It can be a bit harsh at times, and had actually gave me a minor migraine, but it's still not as harsh as some people said. Just don't dose yourself too much with this. Also, not good with high temperature. Definitely a night / colder scent. Longevity & projection are good.

Definitely try this out before buying a FB.

28 April, 2014

teh_sqwirl's avatar

I registered with a Basenotes account just so I could answer all of the recent negative reviews of this scent that I've seen--review that are contrary to my opinion. In the last eight months or so that I've worn this scent--I'm about to switch back to my spring/summer scent of Guerlain's Vetiver--I've never in my life received so many unsolicited compliments on my smell. I quite truthfully have clerks at stores and coworkers at remote offices I rarely see specifically mentioning the alluring and hypnotic quality of the aroma of this cologne they detect on me; often many hours after I apply just a couple sprays. To those of you who have left reviews that, to me, seem bizarrely skewed towards finding this aroma to be odious, I have to recommend the following. Please, do seek the treatment and advice of an otolaryngologist. Without any desire to express disrespect, but out of human concern, your olfactory senses are either damaged or congenitally malformed. Treatment is available and there is hope for you.

29 March, 2014

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

Holy moly. Ink and plastic. I have a childhood memory of getting the guts of a leaky Bic all over my hands. Add a little musk, freshly cut white wood, a whiff of smoke and we're there. I like it because I want to. Or is it the utterly cool inkwell it comes in? Anyway, I'm keeping it.

27 March, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

There is a slight connection with Gucci PH I and Chopard Noble Vetiver, however it's a style matter, not a scent per se. Encre Noire has a character of its own and quite a noble scent this is, warm in its coldness and cold in warmness. Vetiver is dominant in it, refined and rich, also quite cold and distant, like an echo of the spirit of time. Linear like Terre d'Hermes but in its own league. Encre Noire won't be liked by the masses because it's too sophisticated and it takes experience and certain love for this hobby so that one may recognize the potential and the story this fragrance tells, albeit the fact that the person doesn't actually like it. Dark, cold, mystical and yet pleasing, accommodating and warm. An excellent creation indeed.

18 March, 2014

randydjack's avatar

Simply lovely.

Encre Noire is an old librarian who, in between sips on a dram of single malt, describes the forests that The Brothers Grimm traversed so vividly you begin to smell them. It has an ancient and mysterious nature to it, and one that is stunning. It dries down into a mix of the cypress and cashmere quite nicely, as the librarian either passes out drunk (the boozey accord of EN doesn't feel so much dominant as simply present, like the uncle who gets hammered at your family get together...if he was dressed like a proper chap and spoke the kings with perfection) or goes to do whatever book sorting it is that is left for the day.

Longevity and sillage both do well in my book (which consequently smells a bit like EN right now.)

20th January, 2014

RobbieX's avatar

A unique fragrance. Starts smoky like an Islay whisky. The drydown is a smooth vetiver with woods and a soft floral background. Seems to have been expertly blended. It's subtle but not weak and it persists nicely. A sophisticated men's fragrance.

09 December, 2013

MFfan310's avatar

Probably the best blind buy that I ever made, period. This is an amazing smoky vetiver. It smells rich and woodsy, yet it has the versatility to be used any day of the year. A perfumery gem.

At the full retail price of $95 USD/bottle, it's worth it. At the discounter price of $35/bottle, it's a true steal. Either way, worth every penny.

14 November, 2013

lairdangus's avatar

A bubbling witches brew of dark vetiver

I didn't want to love Encre Noire.

When I first sampled it in the middle of the summer, I found it too heavy, too sour, and too dark. But I couldn't forget about, either...

So I tried again recently, hoping that it might work as a fall-winter fragrance. Wow. Does it ever.

Along with Sycomore and Timbuktu, Encre Noire is one of the top 3 vetiver-dominant fragrances on the market today. I love all three of them--Sycomore for it's champagne effervescence, Timbuktu for its otherworldly exoticism, and Encre Noire for its dark simplicity. It doesn't hurt that a 3.4 oz bottle of Encre Noire can be found online for under $30!

It lasts all day and projects as well as any fragrance in my wardrobe.

Highly recommended for vetiver lovers.

Pros: One of the top 3 vetiver-dominant fragrances on the market
    Cons: none"

22 October, 2013

VincentVega's avatar

Strange Brew

This was a blind buy based on some positive reviews...sigh. Huge projection and longevity on me... so much so I had to wash it off because it was giving me a headache. Horrible scent. Heavy, cloying, burned cedar wood...not for me. Brought it back from whence it came.

Some reviewers are describing this as sexy or a masterpiece. Really? If someone wore this at a dinner party I'd have to leave.

Regardless of whether you want to smell like a campfire or not, a "masterpiece" scent is one you can actually wear. I honestly do not know when or where you'd wear this...unless when cooking hot dogs on a stick.

Warning...Do not blind-buy this scent.

Pros: Projection...for those who love a six foot vapor trail
    Cons: Heavy, cloying, burned cedar wood"

12 September, 2013

MrMookie's avatar

Pencil & ink

Masterpiece no doubt.

Imagine this :

Take some liquorice wood (sweetwood) some dry vetiver, dry cashmere wood and cypress al dried to bone, poor raw alcohol on it and set it on fire till it burns and when its burns real good poor a big bucket of ink on it to put the fire out... now smell the smothering dense smoke coming from this substance. thats lalique encre noir!
    Its sophisticated vetiver with a great sillage.
    Im a true fan!

Pros: Natural and sophisticated woods
    Cons:

28 August, 2013

Quartz's avatar

A Great Scent

I'm not a fan of vetiver but this one is really different. The vetiver is certainly there but it's augmented by a very pronounced smoky note which makes this quite different. For me, its longevity is terrific- a good 12+ hours. Not at all like most of the department store designer fragrances and a fantastic buy for about $35/100ml.

You'll definitely want to sample this one first because not everyone will find this to their liking.

01st August, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Dark vetiver

Vetiver and wood - that is what it is on my skin in a nutshell. Deep, dark, and with synthetic undertones. An unusual scent, with decent silage, projection, and four hours of longevity.

17 June, 2013

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Encre Noir, Magnificent!!

I blind bought Encre Noir. I have two other Lalique fragrances and I love them. Encre Noir did not dissapoint me at all. As a matter of fact, it has become one of my all time favorite scents. I love the smell of vetiver and this one has lots of it. It is sophisticated, mysterious and elegant. I have worn it to the office and I have gotten many compliments. It is also great for night time wear.

Pros: Vetiver, which I love.
    Cons: None</p>

05 June, 2013 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2014)

NoiBoi's avatar

Interesting

I recently blind bought various colognes, as I am on a frenzy. Encre Noire was one of those, and I can say it is the most interesting scent i've smelt thus far. My nose is not that advanced yet, but my first thought when smelling this, is ink on paper. The ink note is exceptionally sharp, to my nose. Definitely the darkest scent i've experienced, and as people have said, "classy".

I don't know if I would wear this casually, but on a special occasion this would be golden. This is quality stuff for the price, and you can tell by the density. It doesn't invade, but it lingers and makes it's presence known. 4/5 for me.

20th May, 2013

rynegne's avatar

Inky Vetiver Goodness - Best Bang for your Buck!

Encre Noire was one of my first blind buys. At only $35 for a 3.3oz bottle, it wasn't much of a risk. Turns out, this is one would become one of my favorites. This one comes off as smoky and dark...but it's not a burnt kind of smokiness. The combination of woods and vetiver a nice ink note on top. Although a bit sharp, Encre Noire smooths out over the course of the wear into a light wood that's dry and warm. This won't be for everyone, but lovers of woody and/or vetiver fragrances need to at least check this one out.

Pros: Price Point and Quality
    Cons: Some will say it's synthetic - most fragrances are though...

16 May, 2013

taint it sweet's avatar

As other have stated, this is a "dark" scent. I really enjoy this vetiver. It gets compared to Sycomore a lot, and I can see why...they are similar in a lot of ways to my nose. I don't know which one I enjoy more. Encre Noire is a great casual scent on a cool evening, while Sycomore works really well in more formal settings for me. The first time I tried Encre Noire, I didn't like it at all. It has grown on me over the years, and I love it now. I'd recommend not blind buying this one, but at such a low price, it's hard to pass up. This definitely smells different than your normal designer scents.

30th April, 2013

Sly2scents's avatar

I blind bought this off a review I had seen on youtube. The earthy, woodsy, spice just sets me straight every time. When I was younger there was this show called SWAMP THING with this green monster dude. Anyway, this is what I would imagine what he would smell like.

13 April, 2013

Dane77's avatar

Denmark Denmark

An excellent smoky-woody vetiver with earthy elements and a well-balanced bitterness. Encre Noire is dark and damp, even musty, but at the same time its musky base manages to keep it somewhat polished and not overly dirty. All in all extremely pleasant and convincing, although lacking the elaborate sophistication of Sycomore and the radical depth of Route du Vétiver or Villoresi's Vetiver.
    Encre Noire is a classy confident choice and one of the most rewarding vetivers in its price range. Highly recommended!

14 February, 2013

cieslikau's avatar

Leave in Japan, Women love it, I love it! Tried other Vetivers and this one is my number one! Dark, mysterious, spicy! Unique! The funny part is, first time when smell it can remember felt like had burned tyre around me, now so addicted to it:-) just do not overspray it! Great longevity on my skin:-) best Vetiver of all!

23 January, 2013

WildandYoung's avatar

Encre Noire has quickly become of my favorite scents in my wardrobe. I'm pleased to make this my first official review.

To start off, the bottle is simply beautiful. But that of course only carries it so far, the juice must back it up, and this it does. When first applied, you get a very very strong dose of vetiver. You immediately know what this scent is all about, despite the changes it goes through. It remains with that strong vetiver blast for the first hour or so, but the character stays true throughout the life of the cologne. In addition to the vetiver, I get a very very woody, smoky feel. The smoke is so intense, it could almost be mistaken as powdery to an untrained nose. This gives me a vibe of burning leaves...almost like the leaves you just picked up off the ground on a wet fall day, then attempted to burn alongside a campfire. This makes for a very intense, yet pleasing smell. Many people consider the opening of the fragrance to be a bit much, but I personally feel it is gorgeous. Crisp, sharp, yet refined and smooth.

As Encre Noire continues to try down, it remains rather linear. Not in a bad way, but it doesn't change that much. The smokiness stays pronounced, you notice the woods, but it's get lighter and more musky. Very light musk though, and well done.

This scent lasts me consistently around 8 hours, and projects moderately well the entire course of it's life. Yes, you can overspray this one. Start light, and build up as you feel comfortable. I disagree with the occasions and overall age grouping this one has been given as well. At 15 years old, I feel comfortable enough wearing this even to school. Two sprays draws a surprising amount of compliments. This could be worn at a black tie event, but I do think it can be pulled off in a much more casual setting as well.

This one is a work of art. Overall, I'll give it a perfect score, 10/10. Not signature scent style, but too good to pass up. Plus, I found the 3.3oz for only $32 American. At that price, don't pass it up. I'd feel good paying at least twice as much.

15 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

When you spray this black ink on your skin, your mind goes back to a walk through a rain forest full of wet vegetation, roots sprouting from the ground and a small fire drenching everything with their smoke. That is what is perceived to Encre Noire in the first 2 hours, and then lead to a fragrance with a minimum point incensada aniseed, a little more light, flexible, elegant and even could say sensual. A "must try" for all lovers of perfumes.

10th January, 2013

pdschrader's avatar

Encre Noire can easily be overpowering if over applied. But with a light application it can actually be quite elegant, while still retaining its dark and mysterious notes. It is very different from anything else I use, which is why it is perhaps one of my all time favorites.

03 January, 2013

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Hands down the best vetiver I have ever tried. The beauty is in the linear nature, all the other notes propping up vetiver. It's best not to overspray, which varies depending on season and humidity. Don't judge by first sniff, the drydown is to die for.

26 December, 2012