Positive Reviews of Encre Noire by Lalique

I know some people think this overdoes it on the Iso-E Super but I think it is well-used here to add an intensifying woodsy feeling to what is basically a rather uncomplicated (but effective) vetiver-musk combination. It starts off all dank and dark, classic earthy vetiver, and then gets frankly urinous, almost in the way that real musk used to. This gradually blends into a dark vetiver-musk dry-down. For me, it's a perfect damp winter day scent and may well be my favourite modern take on vetiver.
17th March, 2018
This fragrance is just as the notes say it is. It starts off with cypress, then dries down to a hyper-realistic and well-done vetiver, and finally white musk and cashmere wood. It definitely smells like wood, especially with the Iso-e-Super chemical added in abundance to it. Sillage is only moderate on my skin while longevity is unfortunately weak on my skin, becoming a skin scent in only 2 hours. It could be that I get anosmic to it eventually maybe due to the Iso-e-Super, meaning it is still projecting but my nose has reached olfactory fatigue from the very large Iso-e-Super molecules (and this fragrance is filled with Iso-e-Super). In any case, I wish I could smell it all the way through. It leans extremely masculine and I actually got unsolicited compliments for this one. It kind of smells like you're in a damp forest at night right after it rained; it's very dark and cool. It kind of smells like something Geralt of Rivia in the Witcher series would wear, or perhaps a werewolf in a forest somewhere. It's very mysterious, dark, and to my nose amazing. If you've seen Breaking Bad and remember the Twins, I imagine they'd wear something like this. I will try the Sport version and see if the anosmia problem doesn't exist for that one.
04th March, 2018
Dracula's castle dungeon, with ashes and smoky vetiver. Medieval.

Not for everyone. But it's a cool take on vetiver.

This can be had for dirt cheap online so maybe worth a go if you're feeling spunky and are currently reading Bram Stoker's novel.

6.5/10
17th February, 2018

This is really a wonderful, dirty, wet, smokey vetiver fragrance with a very nice musk base. I find it perfect for cold and wet fall or winter days and also is a great formal event scent when one is dressed up. I don't really see this one as an everyday, signature scent. I need to be in the rights mood and wear it in the right weather or circumstances.

I am kind of surprised by many reviewers mentioning that this perfume has poor performance. I get excellent longevity, decent projection and very nice sillage. I got my bottle several years ago, so I am not sure if there has been any reformulation which could explain the poor longevity some people are getting. One thing I really like, and would like to have in more fragrances, is that with this one, I get modest projection, which does not really push out too far or brashly. However, if I move around, the sillage wafts out and leaves a scent bubble and trail which is really nice.
30th January, 2018
Strong, inky, dark vetiver. Smells like you are walking through a medieval forest while being closely followed by Count Dracula. Not for everyone.
29th November, 2017
Encre Noire is something special, especially in the designer world. It's one of the two fragrances that got me started with this passion. Everything from the name, the bottle to the actual scent ties together perfectly.

It smells like burning woods, on a fresh fall night, that you've just put out with some water as it's got a damp feel to it coming from synthetic cashmeran and musk, but the dusty embers are still hot and with some smoke emanating lightly from them. The main player in this one is an excellent dry, rooty vetiver. Cypress is prominent too: It gives a green, coniferous aspect (The "dark forest" some ones talk about) blending in very well and also brings out the qualities of the vetiver even more. Finally as its name accurately implies, this smoky, scorched but airy, dusty, green and humid raw/earthy vetiver possesses an intriguing black, inky aura around it.

It inspires me the image of a mysterious, secretive, classy but rugged and strong man. It's absolutely a niche fragrance in a designer bottle as it is high quality and polarizing. It does take a confident or very confident person to comfortably wear it. It's not for everyone and it might very well need you to give it a couple of tries. If you are a fan of fragrances like Terre d'Hermes, TF Grey Vetiver or Guerlain Vetiver for example and want to try their darker and bolder "cousin", get your nose on this one. And if you enjoy it but feels like you can't pull it off, try the “Sport” version which is similar while being easier, lemon is added and it's brighter.

Encre Noire is an artistic and fantastic fragrance that is worth its (around) 125$ retail price. So for the pocket money price you can find it online it's almost literally a steal.
11th November, 2017
Very nice initial blast of vetiver and ferns, with maybe a lot of iso e. The scent power is high for the first half-hour or so. Then it rapidly drops in power, turning into a skin scent that continues on for a number of hours. My overall impression is that it is a well made scent with lots of iso e. Once the vetiver and iso e fades, you need to get close to your skin to smell the light vetiver and incense scent. Still I find it a very enjoyable EDT - more than I had expected to like.

Worth buying for men who are older than 27. This is not a kids scent.
09th September, 2017
Ifti Show all reviews
2 years and 3 bottles later... still beguiled by this!
05th April, 2017
Amazing vetiver scent from Lalique! Encre Noir was a complete blind-buy that I do not regret.

Encre Noir bears a great resemblance to other "green" fragrances like Lacoste (original), Versace Green Jeans, Versace Black Jeans, and the newer (still in production) Curve Black: A damp pine forest, full of woody warmth and character that relaxes the mind and envelopes like the presence of a good friend. But this fougere doesn't have the sort of sharpness of Green Jeans nor especially of Lacoste (original), which makes it more wearable for me.

I instantly got complimented wearing Encre Noir on the same day it'd arrived by mail. It will occupy a welcome part of my personal collection; and like the other Lalique fragrances I have, Encre Noir will be sure to please for years to come. ;^>
09th March, 2017
My first Vetiver dominated frag. bought based on a comparative thread from this site (thank you all). Very high quality given the budget price and a nice way (beyond a test vial) to figure out how something as dark as "V" appeals to you.

This one is nearly all about the V, with a cedarish scent in the background (Cyprus I suppose). Very little on the top to balance this top to bottom. Its a nice V for sure, a bit earthy IMO, yet not particularly so.

It took me a while to develop a nose for anything this dark. I still dislike most dark scents; but, I like this one. "Black Ink" is a very appropriate name. As one could expect from a big dose of V; it has very good strength, projection and longevity. Not for everyone; but real nice if you might favor "V".
15th February, 2017
Encre Noire is the essence squeezed out of a smouldering patch of ground which had bushes of Vetiver & Patchouli and a nearby unknown tree. And that's how it feels wearing Encre Noire too; the scent hangs around me like smoke from the smouldering ashes of a dry leaf & twigs campfire. This is a cologne for men who drink smokey flavoured grain spirits, who say no to delicate floral scents and who occasionally burn down barns for fun. I can't wear Encre Noire all the time as it's quite a strong cologne. I only wear it on Friday when I am at my most longing to go camping or hiking on the weekend.
13th February, 2017
Swanky Show all reviews
Encre Noire is perfect for guys who find Grey Vetiver too reticent and Guerlain Vetiver too earthy. It sits on the horizon line between the two. Make no mistake, this is a vetiver fragrance; if you dislike vetiver, pass on this one. It's very well done, but since I already have a few vetiver fragrances, it's not essential for me. If you're exploring vetiver, though, this is a perfect place to start.
28th January, 2017
This is a very intense, pervasive, deep and earthy fragrance. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some vetiver EO in here, but it's coupled with (read dwarfed by)synthetics that drive it directly upwards, and into ones nostrils.
I'm not sure why I like it, but I sure do.
EDIT: I figured it out... this smacks of cypriol. I haven't encountered it much yet (aside from the EO I have), and it's truly interesting...
11th January, 2017

This is a great fragrance, sophisticated with vetiver but also fresh with spicy cedar and sexy musk.This is a one of its kind. It is THE BEST in my collection.Fall, winter or spring. Office day fragrance mainly, but would also OK for club.
10th December, 2016
A very good scent to continue a fragrance education. The contrast with something like Guerlain's Vetiver really does show, as many have written here, the spectrum that vetiver scents can take. This one represents the rooty, wet, earthy side of vetiver.

I don't find much in the way of development of here; more that elements of the scent come and go (that could be the iso-e-super). Variously, it is a dense woody accord, sometimes a fairly stark and lean effect, sometimes overlaid with a kind of almost savoury-umami effect that works to emphasise the wild and outdoorsy aspect of vetiver. Not elast due to this "pulsating" effect, I experience good longevity and sillage. It also adds to the "inky" nature of the marketing and packaging aspects of the scent.

In short, rather different to the kinds of things you might get on the average high street. I find this good for casual wear, not so much for formal. At the price, definitely worth considering.
14th May, 2016
This was purchased for a man in my life but I wear it more than he does. Not a typical man's fragrance. More nuanced and warmer. Nothing "blue" about it - thank g-d - but lots of sexy skin and depth.
06th May, 2016 (last edited: 01st December, 2017)
BLUF: Fantastic vetiver scent, masculine and fresh. Unlike most folks, I have longevity and sillage problems with this one. In my top 3 inexpensive men’s fragrances and quite possibly #1 based on price and quality of scent.

Slightly smoky vetiver and a healthy dose of well-placed Iso E Super make one hell of a team here. I’m not sure if the name planted a mental seed or not, but I absolutely get a hint of a wet ink (encre noire = black ink, for those unaware). I’m in the minority here apparently, but I think it’s a great summer scent. I was surprised to see how many folks suggest the opposite. How different we all are…one thing I love about the online community.

I don’t really have anything new to add, EN speaks for itself and is one of the best values out there. Unfortunately for me, it becomes a skin scent fairly quickly (1-2hrs) and doesn’t project well. Maybe I got a bad/old batch/bottle? (my batch code doesn’t register on checkcosmetic.net…) but chance are pretty much zero of anyone faking it though.

If the only other vetiver you know is Guerlain's Vetiver, be ready for a much earthier, smokier, less bright affair with zero tobacco. If Guerlain's offering is grassy, this is rooty.

I would recommend this as a blind buy more so than any other male fragrance. Huge thumbs up.
04th March, 2016
As so many others have said, there is a distinct family resemblance between Encre Noire and Chanel's Sycomore; some say they are identical twins, but to my nose they are more like fraternal twins or first cousins. Sycomore is smoky but sparkling, like a campfire on a crisp cold morning - Encre Noire adds a layer of inky darkness, as its name suggests, that seems more like the forest at midnight, mysterious and almost menacing. And Encre Noire lasts and lasts, with great sillage. It's wonderful.
18th November, 2015
With so many reviews, I guess I don't have much to add, except that Encre Noire is a near-perfect mix of vetiver, rose geranium, and smoky, piney iso e super. The geranium does most of the work, but the vetiver gets the credit.

It's worth noting that, if you like this, you should really check out the CDG Incense series, which has a similar smoky pine spirit. At the discounted prices available online, I think this is one of the best deals in perfumery.
10th November, 2015
Loving this one! Smells like an unsweetened version of Le Labo Ylang 49.
29th October, 2015
Great vetiver. Better than guerlain. love it
14th October, 2015
One of the most solid contemporary mainstream fragrances which doesn’t really need my (or anyone else’s) endorsement. It is extremely popular, but finally for a good reason: because it is unmistakably, undeniably really good for the price. If you’re on a budget and you want a good vetiver for even the most sophisticated situation, I can’t think of anything better than Encre Noire. Most of others in the same price range couldn’t really compete with this. A dark and crisp smoky vetiver, as much synthetic as able to disguise it under a genius “inky”, wet-paint look – it has some cheap nuances indeed, but none will notice them. There is cypress, there is Nathalie Lorson’s trademark love for clean, angular, futuristic dusty-woody shapes, and there’s a ton of vetiver and Iso E. You can easily guess what to expect, dark oily woods with a really pleasant sort of “transparent” texture which is able to keep the darkness, but without any thickness or heaviness. Which is probably one of the key strengths of this perfume – it’s dark, but an easy-going, versatile, even “bright” kind of dark (compare this to Jovoy’s Private Label to get my point about dark vetivers). A classy, cleverly modern crowdpleaser good for all seasons. If it was just a bit more persistent though... well anyway, recommended!

7,5-8/10
12th August, 2015
Tried this via a 3ml sample - 100ml is now on its way! My (amateur) thoughts:
I absolutely LOVE it, as a serial slave to Grey Flannel, Encre Noir is the most interesting thing I've come across in a long time. The honest truth, my very first reaction: oh no, it reminds me of my lovely old Nan (I guess she must have worn vetiver at some point), but once I was over that, the association hasn't returned. To me it's dark, cold, dank, with a perversely attractive bitterness and harshness. To me there's nothing nice, warm, sexy, wholesome or happy about it, but it's intoxicatingly interesting. An autumn night, a sinister man in a long dark coat walking through a Northern European churchyard. Wearing this I feel like "The Count" himself.
I applied 3 sprays at 7am - at 4pm I was still sitting in its thrall in the office feeling dark, sinister and powerful. Just keep the crucifixes and garlic out of my way until it wears off!
25th June, 2015
I find Encre Noire to be a slightly woody variant of the chemical Iso-E super.

That is the most complemented cologne I have ever used (but not my favorite).

I don't think it should be a blind buy, It should be tested at first.
You might love it and you might not.
Some people can't stand that note. Some love it and some (like me) love it only some of the time.
I can use it only once in a while. when It is appropriate – I LOVE IT!
when it's not .... I have to wash it off.

Longevity – more than 12 hours
Sillage – very strong
01st June, 2015
What a complicated fragrance is this!! Not dark, not sinister. Just an overdose on Iso E super. Top notes and the first hour is amazing, really coal smell with full vetiver. But then the drydown is the overdose of the hyper chemical smell of ISO E, wich means too much. It's kind of Terre, but overwhelming. Where Terre is a reasonable use of ISO, Encre is the no necessary excess. Easy on the trigger, then, and you'll get good results.
25th May, 2015 (last edited: 22nd April, 2017)
Encre Noire has a fantastic smoky opening- captivating and enjoyable. I guess iso e-super plays an important part here. As the great burst subsides, a deeply woody fragrance emerges. The cypress note is initially prominent, and is quite similar to the one in Eau des Baux. Cashmere woods contribute to the woodiness, while the vetiver holds together the composition. The vetiver in Encre Noire is earthy without being muddy or dirty, and has a hint of smokiness. It lends the fragrance a vague green vibe. On my skin Encre Noire dies down quickly and the dry down starts too quickly, which is unfortunate. The woodiness subsides as musk note peeps out and the vetiver continues to hum along.

Encre Noire is a very good and distinguished composition and perfectly unisex. It is definitely recommended to lovers of woods, smoky fragrances and vetivers. If you dislike iso e-super, you might want to avoid it.
30th April, 2015
A monumental release. People are predisposed by the name and bottle and find this dark. It is not that dark but rather green and fresh. The cypress top note is fantastic followed by a strong vetiver heart and a musky dry down. Surely a synthetic composition (mainly ISO E Super) which stands among the best of the last years. It's bottle is also magnificent although this doesn't add to the scent and the prices so low that any vetiver lover must have a good reason for not having it. I've been wearing this all year around and have received compliments by both men and women. I would love to smell this on women too.
21st February, 2015
Amazing scent. Just purchased and WOW! The best blend of vetiver I have ever owned. Spray, wait 5 minutes and enjoy. I have had it on for a few hours now and the scent I smell from my chest is a cross between the well blended vetivers and the woods of the scent (cypres and cashmere) which smell like a freshly cut christmas tree. You won't be disappointed if you are in the market for a great Vetiver scent. Enjoy!
11th February, 2015 (last edited: 03rd December, 2015)
So I just got my much anticipated Encre Noire after a long wait due to postal issues and all I can say is am bewildered and dumbfounded by this unbelievable amazing juice. It all I want and need in a fragrance, its classic in a sophisticated cosmopolitan kind of composition... the vetiver in this juice is excellently blended to give off this smooth and rich aura that's just out of this world. These are only my first impression thoughts but I can easily see this cologne replacing my signature scent Terre d'Hermes because its smoother and the quality of its composition is exceptional.

10/10!!!!
31st January, 2015
Very strong vetiver that almost reminds me of the smell of matches or wet cobblestones. I'm tired of vetiver and this one did me in. Wear this with a black turtleneck sweater in winter and it will be apropos.
23rd November, 2014